Where’s Laura?

posted at 11:40 am on June 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Laura Ingraham has apparently run into a contract dispute with her syndicator and has been off the air for most of the last two weeks. It seems like a bad time for the Right to lose one of its strong and entertaining national voices. The Republicans and conservatives look like they’re in for a bad time already in Congressional races, and the effort to inform people about the presidential race and its issues needs to be in full gear now.

Laura will have a new show on Fox News Channel at 5 pm ET starting on Monday called “Just In”. According to this video message, she doesn’t plan on that being a replacement for her daily radio show, but it will at least give her a platform until the issues get resolved. Her site has more details, including the local stations on which she appears and the means to communicate your desire to get this dispute resolved and put her back on the air.

Let’s hope this gets resolved quickly. In 2008, we certainly need the full team on the playing field. (via Michelle)

Comments

Laura rocks! I hope she’s back soon. No wonder I haven’t heard her on the radio at night.

Geronimo on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Bush’s America: 100 Percent Al-Qaida Free Since 2001 – Ann Coulter.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

I’ve already written a letter to Talk Radio Network because something smells to high heaven. Contract negotiations/dispute or not, the gag order imposed, apparently by TRN, is just plain wrong.

I’m sure the advertisers are getting concerned, too, because they paid to advertise on Laura’s show–not some stand-in’s.

HotJavaJack on June 13, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Great idea. Imagine the slicing and dicing that would go on. Imagine liberal heads exploding all over America.

misterpeasea on June 13, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Was that Brian who shouted at the end “Brand New Show”? What if any insight has he given?

multiuseless on June 13, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Is it true that it is of her own doing? I like Laura, but if she violated contract by shopping it out…well, I’m having trouble ginning up sympathy.

Spirit of 1776 on June 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I do listen to Laura often, more now that my XM isn’t hooked up yet.
She caused some of her own issues, trying to get some of the potential Hannity spots if he didn’t sign.
Evan Coyle Maloney has some more on it.

We need Laura on the air….

originalpechanga on June 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM

What is her personal story? Is she married? I looked, but can’t find info. She’s a looker. With a set of D implants she could take over America. She’ll do well on TV.

RWLA on June 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

RWLA – dude…

Jaibones on June 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

misterpeasea on June 13, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I’d pay money for that. I’d personally stop at every bar in the airports I walk through and request the channel be set to ‘Laura and Ann’.

I bet libtard heads don’t explode with much fanfare though. More like ‘snakes’ that kinda burn and fissle and ooze.

cntrlfrk on June 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I have to agree with Spirit on this one.

malan89 on June 13, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

The perfect trifecta would be:

Malkin, Ingraham & Coulter!

TheSitRep on June 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Brian must be loving the vacation. From wht I’ve heard, she’ll be back soon with a new, much larger contract. Again, good for Brian, I’m sure.

DrW on June 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Oh, you could name it something like, “The Right MIC”

TheSitRep on June 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I like Laura, although I know she wears on some. Super smart, with a hard edge. I love the physical and mental toughness. She can ride 100 miles, and she converted to Catholicism at an age when most women leave the church because they can’t live with the rules.

She’s a rare bird. And, no, RWLA, silicone would not improve the product. And because this is HotAir, let us observe that she is lovely.

Jaibones on June 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Television is nice but as far as communication goes it lacks the effectiveness of her radio program to interact with callers and rally the grass roots constituency.

As to passing judgement on “contract violations” or anything on the business side, I would suggest that nobody except the parties involved know enough about the true story for it to be anything but idle speculation. After all, parsing paragraphs and debating the meaning of a comma in a particular clause is how contract lawyers get their income. Anything that is floating out there is merely gossip, chatter, and PR spin by one side or the other.

highhopes on June 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I ♥ Laura.

hillbillyjim on June 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Jaibones on June 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Really. That was pretty creepy, RWLA.

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Really? I think that would be so awkward for the both of them.

malan89 on June 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

RWLA on June 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Recently she adopted a child from Guatemala.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Whats with Conservative sites kicking off great female conservatives ? First Michelle Malkin off of fox now Laura ?

Sometimes think so male media types get threatened by intelligent successful female conservatives.

Well Im sure in Geraldo’s case he always appears to be outclassed by any woman whos been on the news with him even Barbara Walters. But then almost any woman or man outclasses Geraldo.

William Amos on June 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Anita on June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

That idea makes me miss Hotair TV. When Michelle and Mary Katherine were here together it was great.

BTW isnt there some hotair event due soon about troops packages ?

William Amos on June 13, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Laura’s syndicator, TRN, will miss the revenue caused by this ‘conflict of interest’, and soon resolve the situation.

She’ll be back on the air soon. In the meantime, listen to her good friend and frequent substitute host, Tammy Bruce.

You’re welcome.

locomotivebreath1901 on June 13, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I miss the LI show and hope she is back on soon. She is very bright and well spoken.

Hunt035 on June 13, 2008 at 12:06 PM

I think Laura does a much better job on the radio than TV. She tends to “go O’Reilly” on guests and it turns into a shouting match.

I hope she comes back to radio or else I will have to go back to listening to big mouth Boortz, whom I lay partial blame for the Dem’s big wins in ’06.

Brat on June 13, 2008 at 12:07 PM

The perfect trifecta would be:

Malkin, Ingraham & Coulter!

TheSitRep on June 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

And they’d have more balls than most Republicans.

SouthernGent on June 13, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Laura is one of a kind. When she was on The View she stood her ground and actually knew what she was talking about… unlike Elizabeth. And being easy on the eyes is always a plus!

Reaganite84 on June 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Laura is teh beauty. Good luck with the new show!

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Monica Crowley has been filling in for Laura. She does an excellent job, but she’s not Laura, which is to say she’s not confrontational with Libtardo America. Laura is the queen of smackdown when she’s on her game. But she’s made for radio.

Michelle does a better job of the quick segment format on cable, as when she filled in for the self-righteous narcissist from Levittown. BTW, when is he going to shove off and let someone with a clue take that slot?

Western_Civ on June 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM

anyone read that coulter column? she went father than even I would in bush defense I think, kinda shocked me.

jp on June 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM

The perfect trifecta would be:

Malkin, Ingraham & Coulter!

TheSitRep on June 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Throw in a liberal moonbat like Medea Benjamin and you’d have the anti-matter version of The View.

highhopes on June 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM

jp on June 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I read it. I think she’s generally correct, but I disagreed with her on one thing. America is not great because of our democracy, America is great because of limited government. I fear our greatness is behind us. Iraq’s government is a democracy, but it is not limited government. I fear they may never achieve greatness.

fossten on June 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Detroit’s local talk radio station has dumped the program since it became clear she wasn’t taking a little time off. The station replaced it with Mike Gallagher, which is listenable, but meh in comparison. I think a lot of other stations are going to do the same, putting increasing pressure on TRN.

DRPrice on June 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Laura Ingraham could probably be very effective on TV, as she’s both beautiful and intelligent, and not afraid to challenge liberals. It would be better if she could get a time-slot later than 5:00 PM, when most working and professional people are still in their cars on the way home, rather than in front of their TV’s. Although I hope that she can get back on the radio, where she is also sorely needed.

Michelle Malkin also needs a TV show. How about replacing Greta Van Susteren’s “Crime and Punishment” show with “Malkin Talkin’?”

Steve Z on June 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM

McCain/Ingraham ’08!

Akzed on June 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Yet another Conservative pundit that values above average paycheck over state of the nation. Her and Rush can light cigars with $100 bills together in his Gulfstream as the mushroom clouds go off behind them.

F’ the whole lot of them. They could care less in reality. When they do something more for the cause, like Soros did for the left then I will be inspired.

ClassicCon on June 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM

RWLA on June 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

And with a “Classiness” implant, you wouldn’t need a bib.

Patrick S on June 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM

1980s–Where’s Waldo/
Today–Where’s
~Dick Cheney?
~Bin Laden?
~Laura?

jgapinoy on June 13, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Where’s Laura?

Off whining about how nothing is good enough for her to anyone who will listen.

its vintage duh on June 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM

With Laura on the air at 5:00, I’ll be tuning in to FNC an hour early from now on 5:00!

When it comes to brains, beauty and class, you can’t top conservative women.

petefrt on June 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Monica Crowley has been filling in for Laura. She does an excellent job, but she’s not Laura, –Western Civ

We need our butt monkey laughs and Friday quote vote!!

maverick muse on June 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM

DRPrice on June 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I felt the same way about Gallagher the first month or so. He really grows on you after a while. I live in his home market of KSKY.

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I might add; Laura’s show is one of my favorites. Gonna miss the soundbite contest today.

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM

McCain/Ingraham ‘08!

Akzed on June 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Actually, that’s a GREAT IDEA! She’s got the legal background in the legislature and with court decisions, and she is absolutely IN TOUCH WITH AMERICA!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

maverick muse on June 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Laura & Coulter show would be nice.

Laura, yes. Coulter, no. Coulter may be smart, but she allows emotion to get the best of her. If she’d leave the ad hominems at home, she, and the conservative movement, would be better off. Calling liberals “idiots,” “mindless,” etc. sounds more like Chevy Chase in “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” than an intelligent, conservative woman.

Send_Me on June 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM

I think Laura is the best O’Really substitute bar none. She takes no prisoners, but looks soo much better doing it–and her legal training shows in her ability to argue effectively. I hope she didn’t violate her contract.

horatio on June 13, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Where’s Laura?! I wanna where is Michelle Malkin, I don’t see her on FOX as much as I use too, seems like not at all lately and I miss her Vents.

Irenaeus on June 13, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I’m glad she’s off the air. She is the most shameless self-promoter in the history of conservatism. She paints herself as a humble Christian servant but turns her talk show into a two week go-buy-my-book-a-thon whenever her she releases her latest Ann Coulter knock-off.

She has “debates” on her show which consist of her, and someone who agrees with her, tag-teaming some opponent while one of her monkey-boy assistants turn the opponent’s microphone down when she starts losing the upperhand.

She has this god-awful nasal voice that grates on my nerves. She is the MOST overrated personality in the conservative movement.

She has a terrible television presence with cakes of makeup and a stale, dry, and forced presentation, and of course promoting all things Laura with every word.

Stay off the air Laura. Fox will keep your show on for years even though no-one will watch it. They kept Gibson forever when he had fewer viewers than can be counted.

They should have given the show to Michelle. Michelle is gorgeous, compelling, effective and has more balls than 99% of the males in the Republican party. She also manages to do it all without acting like a one person self-marketing firm.

revolution on June 13, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Steve Z on June 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Because they’re waiting for new, breaking news in the Natalee Holloway disappearance.

whitetop on June 13, 2008 at 1:41 PM

How about a weekly TV show where Laura, Malkin and Meg Kelly kick the dogslobber out of Geraldo?

whitetop on June 13, 2008 at 1:45 PM

revolution on June 13, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Wow, sounds like you have quite an emotional beef with Laura. So, you think she’s “the most shameless self-promoter in the history of conservatism;” that she “has this god-awful nasal voice that grates on [your]nerves,” which makes her “the MOST overrated personality in the conservative movement.” You also state that she “has a terrible television presence with cakes of makeup and a stale, dry, and forced presentation.”
It’s rather amazing how you don’t mention one substantive, reason-based critique of the woman. You whole post was nothing more than an ad hominem argument. I have to ask: why?
You probably didn’t intend to do this, but, in essence, you said nothing of Ms. Ingraham, but rather said a great deal about yourself.

Send_Me on June 13, 2008 at 2:27 PM

The perfect trifecta would be:

Malkin, Ingraham & Coulter!

What would you call it? “2 girls and a somewhat feminine looking guy”?

They wouldn’t have taken her off the air if they were making all that much on her show.

RWLA on June 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Steve Z on June 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I second that. Greta’s show doesn’t fit in. But rather than “Malkin Talkin”, I’d prefer a more “ballsy” title like “Talkin MalkinS

NightmareOnKStreet on June 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I would love to see Laura as McCain’s running mate.

Blue-eyed Infidel on June 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM

I think Laura is very good, but her producers make the show. Totally serious. She’d be sunk without them, they have a genius for radio. She’ll do well on television, but radio is a tough, tough business & if you lack an imaginative, intelligent producer, forget it.

jeff_from_mpls on June 13, 2008 at 2:56 PM

How about Ingraham/Malkin ’08!

Vic on June 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Laura is very bright but loses patients with people much too quickly! Let people talk and then dispute their assertions! I can’t watch Fox anymore because I won’t tolerate multiple people shouting at each other at the same time! It’s like grade school!

sabbott on June 13, 2008 at 3:12 PM

why bother getting worked up about all this?

Laura WILL NOT be on the air one year from now – neither will Rush, Sean,Michael, Glenn, Hugh…

one year from now, the President Of The United States (POTUS) will oversee the removal of all ‘right-wing’ talkers from the airwaves – that’s a FACT

a President Obama will. a President McCain will. FACT!

so I don’t see how just a few more months of Laura make much difference – well, enjoy it while you can, but might as well resign yourself to what will be in effect at least a 4-year suspension of our First Amendment rights

we need to focus our energies on a RESTORATION in 2012 – probably our last chance, after which (if not by then) we’re looking at our country going into Lexington/Concord mode… know what I’m saying?

mindermast on June 13, 2008 at 3:31 PM

RWLA on June 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Eff you. Laura fought Cancer in the body that she has. What would breast implants do for her?

Does your mom have breast implants? Would they make her a better mother? You diminish Laura Ingraham’s professional achievements in law, literature and broadcast entertainment.

You’re an ass and I feel sorry for the women in your life. Again, eff you.

The Race Card on June 13, 2008 at 3:35 PM

@RWLA

Is Michelle Malkin physically accetable to you? MKH? Ann Coulter? What’s the cutoff cup size for Republican women?

Keep up the good work.

The Race Card on June 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Laura is attractive, but the picture looks like a photo editor went overboard with their PhotoShop tools–too much sharpening except where the skin has been brushed to the point where it looks synthetic.

dedalus on June 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Laura is the best!!

ToddonCapeCod on June 13, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Monica Crowley will take over because the shareholders cannot tolerate a less-than-committed show host who has allowed business laundry to become the story.

Laura was funny but lately she is too shrill and too angry. Rush puts his heart into it which is why he is where he is in the ratings/ad rates race.

She claims it’s all management’s fault. Not a conservative statement, I’d say. It’s unreasonable to believe that she can present a genuine conservative persona on the air when she can make such a whiney liberal statement in real life. At least Colbert knows he’s a put-on and doesn’t pretend to be genuine conservative.

She became a legend in her own mind and it is blowing back on her big time.

platypus on June 13, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Hmmm in Dallas here, we get three hours of Mr. Nasal Medved, three hours of Mike Gallagher (someone tell me how that boob EVER made it on radio), three hours of Dennis Miller, yet only two hours of Prager and no Ingraham anymore? Egads! At least the other talk station gets Mark Levin and Rush!

Gatordoug on June 13, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Malkin by far was O’reilly’s best sub. I’m disappointed in him and rarely watch him unless it’s something I truly am fired up about because of Malkin not being on his show and who he holds up on his show ie. geraldo and sharpton.

As for Laura, please hold off on judgements or gossip on what is going on contract wise. We really have no idea of the facts. What business she is in is a tough cut throat business and sometimes it has to get cutthroat. I often am skeptical of “leaks” that come out on what happened in something like this.

I like Laura and Like she takes no prisoners.

The perfect show to me would be Malkin, Laura, and Coulter. I’d be in heaven.

diaphanous on June 13, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Laura is great. She’s smart, hip, and entertaining. She’s also attractive, more so in person. In my market they run Boortz in Laura’s slot and tape delay Laura in the evening. It’s a travesty that they don’t bump Boortz for Laura.
So much has been made of the Leapord skin min-skirt that Laura was photographed in for the NYT magazine. I would like to see the famed photos. Any help?

edgehead on June 13, 2008 at 10:59 PM

The perfect trifecta would be:

Malkin, Ingraham & Coulter!

TheSitRep on June 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Oh no! I’m getting stiffy.
Can you imagine the ratings?
Throw in Banderas and some of the other babes on Fox.
Then It would be the true FOX news newtwork
Maybe they could beat up on Shep,Geraldo,Colmes,etc.
Never mind. They would enjoy it too much
Me go now!
Thoughts of Julie dancing in my head.

gzelmiami on June 14, 2008 at 6:56 AM