The obligatory “puppy-tossing Marine expelled from Corps” post; Update: Administrative discharge?

posted at 1:51 pm on June 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

I guess the puppy was real after all.

The Marine Corps on Wednesday said it was expelling one Marine and disciplining another for their roles in a video showing a Marine throwing a puppy off a cliff while on patrol in Iraq…

Lance Cpl. David Motari, assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment at Kaneohe Bay, is “being processed for separation” from the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps said in a news release. He also received unspecified “non-judicial punishment.”…

“The actions seen in the Internet video are contrary to the high standards we expect of every Marine and will not be tolerated,” Marine Corps Base Hawaii said in a news release. “The vast majority of Marines conduct their duties with honor and compassion that makes American people proud.”

Here’s the official release noting that the specifics of his NJP can’t be divulged. Question for Marines, Marine spouses, and anyone else capable of answering: On what grounds, precisely, was Motari “expelled”? Article 15 of the UCMJ doesn’t list expulsion or discharge as one of the available punishments for enlisted men. The worst sentence you can get, it appears, is “correctional custody” for 30 days. Did they just lean on him to quit (note that the official release says nothing about expulsion just that he’s being “processed for separation”) or is there something I’m missing? Furthermore, what’s the offense here? “Being a douchebag”? I’m guessing it falls under Article 134, but you tell me.

Update: A reader in the know e-mails:

I’m a former Marine Company Commander and have done many of these.

By the news stories, everything regarding the NJP seems correct. A Marine can be processed for administrative discharge for a variety of reasons (misconduct, pattern of misconduct, fraudulent enlistment, “good of the service”, humanitarian, etc). Marines discharged administratively are eligible for Honorable or General Discharges. General Discharges are characterized as either “General, Under Honorable Conditions” or “General, under Other than Honorable Conditions”. Each are determined by the totality of his service and the type of admin discharge received. A “Hums Sep” would most likely be an “Honorable” discharge. A “Misconduct” or “Pattern of Misconduct” would most likely receive an “OTH”.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

He is a dumbassed hero.

What’s dumbassed about being a hero? You have no right to judge him.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Either he is or isn’t.. don’t sit on the damn fence!

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Are you saying heroes are perfect?

Please, share with us all whatever meds you are on. HURRY!

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Please, share with us all whatever meds you are on. HURRY!

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM

This coming from a person who has been avoiding my question 100 posts back. LMFAO HAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAA

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM

What’s dumbassed about being a hero? You have no right to judge him.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM

You’re the one who said he was a dumbass and a hero. I assumed you were speaking in the context of KK. Explain yourself. HURRY!

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:12 PM

You’re the one who said he was a dumbass and a hero.

When did I call him a dumbass? You’re the America-hater who called him a dumbass.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:14 PM

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM

BTW cs, I re-joined the Army. And if I ever saw some cowardess crap like what this guy pulled, he better be praying that he just gets knocked down in rank and that is it.

Crap like that ticks me off and is a danger to a society… not just the then and there syndrom. I will not work with jokers like that. They are completely useless in my eyes other then being a pen pusher.

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:14 PM

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM

What comment?

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:14 PM

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Stop and breath a sec.

Now question. Would you work with someone who has abused something…. it doesn’t matter what it was. Would you work with them?

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 4:17 PM

this one…..

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM

This ridiculously irrelevant question?

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Why do you think is it a relevant question?

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 5:24 PM
WHY Don’t you answer my question csdevon… since this will be the last time.

IF you were working with someone you know abused something… would YOU work with that person?

If you can’t answer the question because I would assume you would say no… which would then you just screwed up your whole arguement.

Your Son’s, while in the military, I hope would never do this to a animal, much less a person. It is called common sense and empathy. And for someone to throw anything off a cliff that Humans deem as a companian, then it makes your arguement irrelevant.

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 5:28 PM

and this one…

you didn’t answer… I am tired of asking… don’t bother.

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM

You’re the America-hater who called him a dumbass.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I used my own words to repeat what you said. Tell me why you called him a dumbass and that’ll answer your question on un-Americanism.

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM

I hate America.

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM

you didn’t answer… I am tired of asking… don’t bother.

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM

There is no relevance in your question. If I were in the Army, ultimately I’d have no choice who I worked next to. If I were working a real job, I wouldn’t quit it over their behavior. In the area I work now, a persons actions are of no concern to me.

I would not seek out a person that made a habit of doing that (ala Mike Vic). But I certainly will not demonize a hero who had a momentary 17 second lack of rational decision making. Not over an animal that was going to die in a matter of hours and will never do one small bit of good compared to the good this Marine had already done for real living HUMAN BEINGS. Go ahead, call me a person whose heart bleeds for human beings. I can take it.

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM

You’re losing it. Not worthy of the Kong. You might end up in the old chimp’s home with this guy.

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I used my own words to repeat what you said. What’s the problem?

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Why do you think is it a relevant question?

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM

You think everyone who signs up is a Hero.. I on the other hand do not. I also wouldn’t work with someone who was a rapist or sexual pedophile or murderor… but that is me.

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Sounds like it? Your opinion? Judging are we? I thought you didn’t know anything about me? Yet you’re presumptious enough to conclude I meant one thing, when I meant something altogether different.

I stated earlier on this thread my hostile comment was directed towards the single hideous act of the Marine, and it was not a judgement of his entire tour of duty. I had no knowledge of his accomplishments or assignments on the field of battle, therefore I couldn’t make a judgement.

Before you judge others from your high and mighty throne. maybe you should take a good hard look at yourself.

fogw on June 12, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Let’s look at what you said one more time, shall we?

Sub-human piece of shlt, disgracing the uniform and the Corps.

fogw on June 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

You’d like me to believe that that is:

A) not at all blanket condemnation of a man’s character

and that

B) I’m being unfairly judgmental for calling it such?

Erm. Sorry, no. I don’t believe that you do or ever did possess such a highly nuanced opinion of this situation. I also believe that your words, style, and tone make your disgust for this man abundantly clear. While not entirely unreasonable of itself, I still contend that the reaction by you and others here goes far, far beyond the actual moral wrong offered.

I was revolted when I heard about this too but to call a man a “Sub-human piece of shlt” over it? That crosses a very definite line.

I suppose that since I don’t accept your assertions regarding your statements I have nothing left to say to you on the matter.

TheUnrepentantGeek on June 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I used my own words to repeat what you said. What’s the problem?

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I know you are but what am I? C’mon Cheeta, you got more than that don’t cha?

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM

You think everyone who signs up is a Hero..

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Yes I do.

Well, if we were talking about those acts of brutality against actual HUMAN BEINGS, then I wouldn’t quit my job out of protest, I call the authorities and have them arrested.

Why they would include you in on their after work activities is baffling, but like you said…that’s you.

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on June 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Preach it brother man! That was the same attitude that set me off.

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I know you are but what am I?

As you said, you’re a hater of America.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM

This coming from someone who has children in the Military? Makes you wonder about how her children feel about their parent? You, my friend, are a complete and utter waste of time.

Devil Advocate or not… you should try something… how about be a defense lawyer. You sure don’t like to stay on topic and spew a lot.

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Devil’s advocate? You?!?
Why, I never pictured you as contrarian! :)

SouthernDem on June 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on June 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I don’t really care a lick about what a pompous ass like you believes or contends. Talk about nuance. Your opinions bore me.

Boo-freakin-hoo. Who’s gonna miss you?

Since you take such great offense at what I said, allow me to post one more time what I said.

Sub-human piece of shit, disgracing the uniform and the Corps.

fogw on June 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I said it, and I meant it – judging the individual act, not the body of work. That should keep your panties in a bunch while your away. You did say you were leaving, didn’t you?

Adios.

fogw on June 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

4 pages of responses over this? Turd throws puppy, Marine Corps admin discharges turd.

It just proves that 3 months of bootcamp doesn’t always fix 18 years of piss poor parenting.

Hog Wild on June 12, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Man, Treacher is on a roll tonight. Good times!

Blacklake on June 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I knew that puppy was real!

4shoes on June 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM

This pic on the front page is offensive to me. Does AllahPundit revels in the hits.

But knowing the fate of this poor animal .. Michelle should be ashamed. This is beneath you.. right to life and all that. Does it only apply to humans or all of God’s creatures?

I’ll not be back until this pic that depicts the joy that this sick human has in posing for the camera as he throws an innocent animal to its death is gone from the front page.

In good conscious I can’t tolerate it.

Texas Gal on June 12, 2008 at 11:18 PM

He is a dumbassed hero.

What’s dumbassed about being a hero? You have no right to judge him.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM

fick off loser internet wanttobe

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:03 AM

csdeven on June 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Good evening madam. Um, you still here? Don’t have a life do we?

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:04 AM

fick off loser internet wanttobe

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Sorry treacher, i misunderstood the comment.
we do not disagree. please forgive

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:10 AM

The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creatures that cannot.
- Mark Twain

It is just like man’s vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.
- Mark Twain

Heaven is by favor; if it were by merit your dog would go in and you would stay out. Of all the creatures ever made man is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he is the only one that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Thanks for that MB4. I know I have been cross with you in the past but it was only for the McCain hatred. I do not like him much either but between him and the Obama, it is a clear choice for me.

Jim Treacher: I still apologize for misconstruing the comment.

carbon_footprint on June 13, 2008 at 12:42 AM

That “man’s” action was a disservice to the uniform he was wearing. He no longer deserves to have the privilege to wear it. He no longer does. Problem solved…

TheFluke on June 13, 2008 at 1:21 AM

upinak on June 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Just like any other vocation the military will always have some human garbage.

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 2:42 AM

You have no right to judge him.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Everyone has the right to judge anyone else. I can judge you, you can judge me, we can both judge the fellow behind the tree, and he can judge we.

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 2:45 AM

Texas Gal on June 12, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Times like this I wish that I believed in Hell.

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 2:48 AM

On what grounds, precisely, was Motari “expelled”?

Well now I would say on the grounds of being a #ucking disgrace to the American uniform.

I don’t think that the U.S. Marines want to have there motto changed to -

Join the Marines
and become a man throw puppies to their deaths

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Wow, this went on a long time. I guess there are some pretty strong feelings for the dog, huh? Or is it the skidmark of a has-been soldier?

Geronimo on June 13, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Times like this I wish that I believed in Hell.

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 2:48 AM

Very revealing admittance. I suppose the times that you prefer to not believe in Hell are when the law points in your own guilty direction.

Very revealing.

Man wants justice applied to others but not himself.

“But I’ve never done anything like throwing a puppy over a cliff!”

Are you guilty of breaking any of these.

1. No other gods.
2. No idols.
3. Do not use God’s name in vain
4. Keep Holy the Sabbath.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not lie.
10. Do not covet.

If at first you think “no” to any of these consider what Christ said during His sermon on the mount. Matthew 5:17-48

This sermon is not a comfort and makes it terribly clear that no one measures up to it and if justice were applied all should righteously receive God’s wrath.

Fortunately, Christ spoke of God’s mercy through His work on the cross.

shick on June 13, 2008 at 9:15 AM

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 2:45 AM

He was being sarcastic. You really do a disservice to everyone when you post without reading.

- Mark Twain

MB4 on June 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM

I know you love Twain, but this one has always bothered me. I’ve yet to find an animal that cannot do wrong. Can’t say I wouldn’t mind being proven wrong, but by any standard measure of right and wrong, animals just don’t cut it.

They don’t think twice about stealing, killing or simply harming each other if it means they can get what they want or need. If we lived by their rules, we wouldn’t be at the top of the food chain.

Esthier on June 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Sorry treacher, i misunderstood the comment.

No biggie!

Jim Treacher on June 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Esthier,

You are making the same mistake I routinely make with my pets. I believe the academic term is anthropomorphization, when we attach human values to the animal world. Twain makes the same mistake. Animals only have instincts to guide them. There is no such thing as stealing, killing, or doing harm in the animal world. Those are human terms. MB4 hit the money with the third quote by Twain: He [Man] is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.

budorob on June 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM

If we lived by their rules, we wouldn’t be at the top of the food chain.

Esthier on June 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Oh, we most certainly live by their rules. We just have vastly more refined tools.

Blacklake on June 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I find it ironic and telling about the morality of outrage that the people here are having when there is virtually silence on this thread:

Mugabe militias burn women and children alive

Tim Burton on June 12, 2008 at 5:49 PM

I find your outrage even more ironic and more telling since you obviously care nothing about this:

Guy who’s even MORE evil than Mugabe burns BABIES alive