Michelle on Michelle: It ain’t just the right criticizing Obama’s wife

posted at 8:20 pm on June 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

Consider this the follow-up question MSNBC “forgot” to ask Durbin: Are all the good, progressive, Hillary-lovin’ Democrats like Larry Johnson who’ve been knocking Michelle Obama and circulating rumors about her “whitey” tape going to hell too, or do they have a get-out-of-hell-free card by dint of how they vote? And how come, if the goal of conservatives is to smear her at all costs, the boss conspicuously declined to repeat Johnson’s garbage despite having had an opportunity on a very big stage to do so? (An ethical display which our pal Geraldo didn’t match.)

Exit question: Is there some sort of saboteur on the Fox copy edit team? Because whoever wrote the stupid “baby mama” chyron at the beginning here, especially so soon after E.D. Hill’s “terrorist fist jab” remark, is simply begging for trouble.

Update/correction (Michelle): In the clip, I mention Salon as one of the left-wing websites that has published criticism of Michelle Obama. I meant Slate. My bad. Thanks to Alex Koppelman for e-mailing and calling attention to my error.

Comments

When was the last time a conservative started criticizing Michelle Obama? I haven’t seen any big effort to get Mrs. Obama back in the spotlight.

I think Obama’s in trouble, and the dems are gonna try to drag out old crap to try to dig him out of it…Harry Reid with the McCain “too angry” thing, and now Durban saying that conservatives are going after Michelle Obama.

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Fox is quickly become utterly indefensible.

Number 2 on June 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Baby Mama? Dude… It’s gotta be a fightin nutroot mole. I wonder how closely they monitor who puts exactly what on the screen.

BadgerHawk on June 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Sorry, AP, but using Larry Johnson as Exhibit #1 (or any number) in defense of critiquing Michelle Obama is about as intellectually weak an argument as one can pose.

The argument for criticizing Michelle Obama’s comments either stands or falls on its own merits.

Let’s make that argument and not point to a clown like Johnson as a type of defense.

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Really, name one large mainstream conservative who has even mentioned Michelle Obama lately. She’s been under wraps for quite some time.

This makes me think the Larry Johnson BS was created out of thin air to try to get conservatives all in a lather, so dems could come out and play this card…but no big conservative bit on Johnson’s bait.

So what the hell is Durbin complaining about?

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM

I saw Michelle, our lovely hostess, and she did a good job on Fox. If mo can’t stand the heat, got out of the fire. Open mouth, insert foot to tell us what you really think.
L

letget on June 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I think I read AP’s piece differently — it wasn’t so much that he’s holding up Larry Johnson as a defense to critique Mrs. Obama, but rather to expose the disingenuousness of the left, e.g. MSNBC’s questioners, Durbin’s comments, etc.

D2Boston on June 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM

What’s a Baby Momma? Nevermind.

She sure is fair game. She is in the mold of Hillary when Bill ran the first time and if we are going to get a first lady who thinks she’s a big time player, then she should get big time scrutiny.
Frankly, I prefer my 1st lady’s to be more like Laura Bush and less like a tank.

thatcher on June 11, 2008 at 8:37 PM

It is unfortunate that Michelle Malkin is not on TV more often, like she was in the past… Yes, I know she took a principled stand.

But I do think she is a good spokeswoman for Conservatism.

ColtsFan on June 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Two points:
1. Wasn’t “baby mama” quoting some liberal? That’s what it said.
2. “Obama’s Bitter Half”- HA! Good one MM!
Bonus third point:
3. With Kelly and Malkin on the screen, who’s reading the chyrons?

Rhinoboy on June 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:30 PM

That’s not what he was doing. He was pointing that Dick Turbin is trying to claim that only eeevil “Republican strategists” are criticizing her, when it’s not true, see loony liberal Larry Johnson.

misterpeasea on June 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM

OOOH. Two appearances of the Divine Mrs. M. in one day. Wowsers…
Now if we could just get a new Vent episode, I might just be able to get a tingle up my leg. ;)

LegendHasIt on June 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Yes, I agree. AP is saying (in so many words) that if it’s okay for Johnson, why isn’t it okay for others? He who permits “A” must permit “B”.

But my argument is that Johnson is such a small and insignificant voice that no one (in the MSM) even noticed the attacks that he was generating. Ergo, no media criticism.

Substantively, the purpose of critiquing Michelle Obama is?

What public policy will she influence?

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM

No, I’m saying Johnson’s particular line of attack is not ok. Substantive attacks based on things Michelle Obama says are ok.

Allahpundit on June 11, 2008 at 8:40 PM

As I’ve said repeatedly a Prejudice Trap is being used to cover hundreds of peccadilloes and also to cover an extremist Marxist philosophy. If Obama (or any member of the family) was caught by TV cameras and 300 witnesses robbing at gunpoint a convenience store, any criticism would be “racist.” Obviously BHO does not need to rob a 7-11, he did that already in Chicago local wards. It must, however, be gratifying to know that any criticism of you for any reason whatsoever-is “off limits” for “racial” reasons and that would include egregious acts and words by your wife.

MaiDee on June 11, 2008 at 8:42 PM

What public policy will she influence?
SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Pretty much all of it.
Compared to her, Co-president Hillary will seem like a mute, shrinking violet of a Stepford Wife..

LegendHasIt on June 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM

What public policy will she influence?

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Dude, she totally wears the pants in that relationship. That is, until Barack inevitably says, “That’s not the Michelle I know.”

VolMagic on June 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Substantive attacks based on things Michelle Obama says are ok.

Okay, and they (substantive attacks) are okay why?

How will what she says affect public policy?

Critics of Michelle’s are going to have to connect her comments/views with how Barack governs. Otherwise, it will appear that you’re beating up on her just to weaken her husband.

This is a very dangerous tactic. The potential backlash is enormous.

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Why is this such a hot topic right now?

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM

The FOX subheadline at the end of the video called Michelle Obama’s “proud” comment a gaffe, but it wasn’t! It was confidently asserted repeatedly

jgapinoy on June 11, 2008 at 8:48 PM

She talks in a official capacity for the campaign therefor she is open to criticism.

TroubledMonkey on June 11, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Okay, and they (substantive attacks) are okay why?

How will what she says affect public policy?

How will what Jeremiah Wright says affect public policy? It won’t — except to the extent that Obama’s fondness for him and his views offers a character insight into Obama himself. That goes double or triple with his wife. By the same token, if Obama’s campaign manager goes out tomorrow and says something racist or whatever on the stump, I trust you’ll take exception to that, no? But why? After all, the campaign manager doesn’t affect public policy.

Allahpundit on June 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM

I was watching this when it came on, Michelle Malkin and Megyn Kelly, life is good.

Mrs.737 got a little bit jealous and said “Oh, you’re just in Heaven now, aren’t you?”

I said “… (pause) … I’m sorry, did you say something?”

She knows I’m just kiddin’ :-)

Tony737 on June 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Why is this such a hot topic right now?

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM

I asked that too. It’s weird, as Michelle Obama hasn’t been the focus of much conservative chatter for a while, has she? I mean, she hasn’t had any big public speeches or anything for over a month or even longer.

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM

baldilocks on June 11, 2008 at 9:07 PM

After all, the campaign manager doesn’t affect public policy

Many campaign managers (Rove come to mind?) go to the White House to help direct/shape/influence policy. You think Axelrod will have no influence on policy if Obama is elected?

Again, the public – the average citizen – will need to be shown how Michelle is going to influence the policies that will affect their lives. Otherwise, they won’t like it.

You don’t think there wasn’t a backlash over the criticism of Hillary? Even though she was more influential (although apparently less than she claimed) in the Clinton White House.

This is really dangerous ground to attack on. Of all of the issues to go after Obama on, this is not worth it, it seems to me.

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM

What is he governing? Only a political campaign, from what I can see.

RushBaby on June 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM

What is he governing? Only a political campaign, from what I can see.

Governs when/if he gets into office.

How will Michelle Obama’s actions/statement/views influence or affect the public policies that President Obama will enact?

Stating some nebulous “She has his ear” or “He listens to her” won’t be sufficient for many of the votes.

Admittedly, my understanding of the “average” American voter is extremely shaky.

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Baldilocks, are you sure? UGH! What on earth are they thinking? Hard to believe we will be seeing another goofy couple in the White House for 4 years. Do the Dem’s not have a normal couple who can run or would they not get any backing? Nevermind.

thatcher on June 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Something is up Funky. O’Reilly even led his show with it tonight and had Morris on to discuss it (GOP “attacking” Michelle). Seems like the groundwork is being laid to inoculate her from something yet unknown.

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 9:31 PM

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM

You are clearly unmarried.

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 9:35 PM

You are clearly unmarried.

More than half the electorate isn’t either.

You’ll need to convince the voters; not me.

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Weird….O’Reilly has been .. strange .. for a while now WRT Obama. I don’t like Morris either.

Did either of them mention that Michelle Obama hasn’t been discussed much by conservatives lately? That would have been my first statement.

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Michelle Obama’s only problem will be herself.

She is a bat $hit crazy, stark raving mad angry radical black marxist woman. She has an Omarosa factor that is off the charts.

If she wants to be left alone she should shut her commie suck hole, collect her extortion salary, polish her affirmative action degree, and leave her beret and black turtle neck sweater in the closet.

Alden Pyle on June 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Allah was not saying it is okay because Larry Johnson does it but rather is HE GOING TO HELL too?

EJDolbow on June 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

You’ll need to convince the voters; not me.

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM

The fact it’s such an issue tells you all you need to know.

You want more convincing of how working class white Democrats feel about the issue? Look at the primary results down the stretch. Need even more convincing? Try listening to a little talk radio – even better – listen to talk radio hosted by a traditional Dem in a deep blue State…

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 9:44 PM

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM

O’Reilly whole TPM was a “warning” to the GOP to leave Michelle alone. Really…

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM

It’s like a cliffhanger. Much more interesting than listening to McCain (who I am supporting and voting for because my husband is in the sandbox, but he wasn’t my first choice).

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Can dirty Durbin tell us where Lurch and Silky belong for trying to make issue of Cheney’s daughter during the 04 debates?
How about the people ridiculing John Roberts children during his confirmation process?

clghitis on June 11, 2008 at 9:55 PM

“…our souls are broken…” said Momma CheBaby.

Speaking for herself, a pretty accurate appraisal.

Let Michelle O. hoist herself with her own gaffe-tards.

profitsbeard on June 11, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Why is this such a hot topic right now?

Because Maureen Dowd (and someone else) wrote about it this weekend. Some other left-leaning person. They said the right is going to attack Michelle Obama, and because Dowd is so tapped into the Republican scene, everyone is going with it.

I think O’Reilly has been trying to get Obama on his show (remember that whole incident?) so he’s trying really hard not to say anything to give him an excuse not to come on. Of course he wont do it.

MayBee on June 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM

How is this helping Michelle O’s kids.

Texyank on June 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM

SteveMG on June 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM

So you’re saying that substantive attacks on the things Faline says while campaigning for Obama are not OK?

Rrriight.

misterpeasea on June 11, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Baldilocks, are you sure?

thatcher on June 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Yes. (Search the page for baby’s daddy.)

That’s only a CNN transcript but there’s a video of it somewhere.

baldilocks on June 11, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Baldilocks is right. In fact, she’s used both phrases–“baby’s daddy” and “baby daddy” and rubbed all sorts of folks the wrong way with the pandering.

Michelle on June 12, 2008 at 12:47 AM

MO called BO her “baby daddy” in an introduction at least once. The phrases “baby mama” and “baby daddy” are illiterate allusions to the high rate of illegitimacy among black Americans. Anyone should be ashamed to use such a phrase in a public setting. – baldilocks

What I believe Michelle Obama said was “my babies’ daddy” when introducing Barack.

I’m not eager to make anything either of those two says be any more acceptable or understandable, but, in the sense of accuracy, the term M. Obama used for Barack was “my baby’s Daddy” or “my babies’ Daddy.”

NOT “my baby daddy,” which is extremely creepy. Nor do I know what it even means, or may mean, if it’s ever used by anyone.

The chyron thing on FOX is a mystery to me, however, as to why ANYone would type/write what they did there (“baby mama”). I’ve viewed other, similarly borderline illiterate phrases on FOX’s chyron before and I think it might be due to (d’oh) someone who is not “native language English” or else is from an inner city environment and adversely affected academically by street or “ghetto” speak or perhaps, a combination of all of that. And that’s causing someone or ones at FOX to MISINTERPRET accurate English-language terms and phrases, interpreting some wrongly into a sort of “ebonics” understanding of English-language speech or written phrases.

It’s happened before, is my point, I’ve noticed this before and on several occasions. So FOX has some personnel problem there.

Maybe whoever created that “baby mama” weirdness on FOX read or heard “my baby’s mama” and THOUGHT it “meant” “baby mama” . Like I said, sounds like a foreign-language speaker/reader who is wrongly interpreting phrases spoken/written in English, and doing so poorly.

S on June 12, 2008 at 1:12 AM

O.K., I just read Michelle’s comments above (^^) and I’ve never heard Michelle Obama say “my baby daddy,” but, rather, “My babies’ Daddy” OR “My baby’s Daddy.”

Not that I’ve heard or read everything the woman’s said, or want to (as to Michelle Obama).

But, what she IS saying is certainly “Black” speak, it’s a phrase from — what’s the correct term for this, because I don’t know — it’s a phrase from a “Black” dialect that isn’t recognizable to most the rest of us.

It’s like when Michelle Obama was interviewed for just about the first national media exposure (WAPO interview, over a year ago, maybe more), and in that first-evah opportunity to present herself and her family to the American public, she in that interview, just about the first thing she started talking about was that Obama was “stinky in the morning,” that her daughters said that Barack “was stinky” “in the bed” “in the morning” (so, as she said, she often goes to her daughters’ beds in the morning so they “don’t have to” come to her and Barack due to Barack being “stinky in the morning”).

Who talks like that to the public? And WHY? WHAT in Heaven’s name is this woman even about? WHY would ANYone start discussing body odors, intimate, married bedtime occurences and the like in an interview with press relating to national political candidacy?

THEN she was seen and heard introducing Barack as “my babies’ daddy” and I think any hope that Michelle Obama was a well managed, reasonably well mannered person, in my view, completely disappeared after that.

But the langauge, the phrases, are a Black dialect that, as Michelle Obama uses them, seems to be EXCLUDING all ears but Blacks. I mean by that, that she “selectively addresses” Blacks in speaking as she does (as I’ve mentioned here) and appears to be intentionally insulting or offending, particularly, White people (the bedroom smells talk is a good example of that — hardly was accidental by Michelle Obama as to “issues” she deemed to discuss and in what detail as she did).

Another (last) thing and that is I was just watching a video again of Michelle Obama on which she was criticising Hillary Clinton (a female-cat-scratch attempt, seeking to “reduce” Hillary from candidate to scrapper) for “not managing her own house” or “not controlling her own house” (either/or), Michelle Obama started that off with: “The thing about this (pause) RACE is…” and she emphasized that word, “race”. So she IS making racial interjections and placing racially charged terms and expressions into nearly everything. If we are to accept that this woman is intelligent, we should then reasonably also assume that she knows what she’s doing and what she’s doing is decidedly and continually (as with Wright) introducing and emphasizing racial divisions, racial animosities, competition by race.

S on June 12, 2008 at 1:25 AM

Anyone should be ashamed to use such a phrase in a public setting.

baldilocks on June 11, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Incredible. I still think she’ll surpass Mrs. Heinz by Nov. with her gaffes and attitude. She can’t help herself. It’s who she is.

Entelechy on June 12, 2008 at 1:36 AM

S on June 12, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Whoever did it on Fox may or may not be aware of the connotations of illegitimacy. Mrs. Obama most certainly is, however.

Both usages are shameful as is the reason that the phrase came to be used.

That really got to me. You don’t do something like that to your spouse, disparage him in front of anyone, much less the whole world–not if you want to stay married.

baldilocks on June 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM

baldilocks on June 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM

The best weapon against these two is to keep ‘em talking.

- The Cat

MirCat on June 12, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Course he’s stinks, he smokes.

Worse than the wretched stench, imagine a guy who doesn’t even have the self discipline or strength to quit smoking (for Michelle’s children!!!) trying to find the intestinal fortitude to deal with the most stressful and trying challanges on earth.

Secty of Def: “Yo, Barry, Iran is launching missiles into Iraq!”

Obama: “Shooooot, I think I’m gonna go have a cig”

An addiction of any kind is a sign of weakness.

Alden Pyle on June 12, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Who ever gave Johnson a pass? Even if he was once left-leaning, his site rarely if ever has criticized McCain. Ever since I began to check in on it, he’s beeen focused 100% (Maybe 99.9%) on his hatred of Obama and Democrats. He even gave a “Shout Out” to this blog last night.

Typhonsentra on June 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM

So Michelle, all politics aside; when are you gonna do a sequel to the naughty schoolgirl cheer?

Your bad looks pretty goode from here!

Please don’t have Bill’O send “his people” to see “my people”. I hate when that happens!

J_Gocht on June 12, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Fox has been going downhill for a long time…I’ve started watching CNN to get my daily liberal slant on everything…it’s not much different

charlie36r on June 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM

baldilocks on June 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Gosh baldilocks; the better half and I wouldn’t have much fun if we didn’t have the opportunity to “make up”..!

Is that kinky?

J_Gocht on June 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Yet more disgraceful unprofessional behaviour by Fox.

Dave Rywall on June 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM

It’s an attempt at pre-emptive “Whitey Tape inoculation” and it will not work… unless the Media is as powerful as (it thinks) it is.

max1 on June 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Michelle Obama’s only problem will be herself.

Alden Pyle on June 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

a great post such as this desreves repeating! Nicely done Pyle!

max1 on June 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Obama’s wife is marxist. Ha ha. That’s hilariously stupid.

Dave Rywall on June 12, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Michelle Obama’s only problem will be herself.

The public does pay attention to the “Omarosa factor” – keep this woman talking.

melda on June 12, 2008 at 11:07 AM

How will what Jeremiah Wright says affect public policy? It won’t — except to the extent that Obama’s fondness for him and his views offers a character insight into Obama himself. That goes double or triple with his wife. “Allahpundit on June 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM

So AP; do you have an “personality character analyst” sitting just back stage like Bill’O to evaluate every tic, eye movement or raised brow for sinister intent or… do you do all that tricky psychological, projection evaluation stuff, your own self?

All undergraduate psych majors would certainly like to know…! :)

J_Gocht on June 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM

As long as Ms. Obombem puts herself in such public settings she is fair game for anything she says as being agreed to by the Candidate.

Look what happened to Hitlery who did not muzzle ‘Wild Bill’ enough.

MSGTAS on June 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM

What Michelle and Barry O do in bed, or how they address each other, is their business. But if Michelle is going to give campaign speeches, and tell us that Americans are mean, or that she’s only proud of her country if her husband is President, or that Barack will “demand” that we work for him, then she’s fair game for criticism.

By the way, who is Barack to demand that we do anything for him? Isn’t the President supposed to serve the people who elected him?

But I agree with other posters that Michelle O should keep talking. This might be more fun than Terry Kerry.

Steve Z on June 12, 2008 at 11:35 AM