Left overcome by the vapors as McCain says it’s “not too important” when troops come home from Iraq

posted at 12:44 pm on June 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

This is nothing more or less than his “100 years” line in another form, reiterating the point that it’s not a troop presence overseas that Americans really object to (or else they’d be pounding the table about Okinawa) but troop casualties. Perfectly clear, even to those not necessarily inclined to defend Republicans from Democratic attacks, but no matter. The demagoguery has already begun, transparently as a way of pushing the Narrative away from the inconvenient details about casualties being down and the surge working better than the Sage of Chicago, for all his supposed judgment on Iraq, foresaw. Can’t knock the Dems for seizing on it: Even the most recent opinion polls on Iraq are basically impervious to news of progress and the timing is fortuitous for them given the reports about some members of the Iraqi government playing hardball in negotiating the extent of the American troop presence next year. (“Maliki’s advisors are now asking aloud whether the American presence creates more trouble for Iraq with its Arab and Iranian neighbors or whether it safeguards the country’s sovereignty, the Western official explained.”) Credit to Harry Reid, though, for having the stones to punctuate his own statement blasting McCain with a nod at the “intractable civil war” that’s supposedly still raging, even though the only reason some of those Iraqi officials are willing and able to play hardball right now is because there is no civil war. Stay on message, Dingy. (Senate seats!)

Exit question: How does Maverick change the subject? Exit answer: By playing the old standards.

Update: The eternal question — how much of the imperviousness of those polls is due to insufficient coverage of the progress made? Scenes from an intractable civil war:

ABC News correspondent Terry McCarthy says the drop in violence gets less attention. “A drip, drip story that’s getting a little bit better day by day doesn’t make a headline,” he says. “We have to struggle to get more stories on the air. We have to do more feature-type stuff. The news of the day is not really here anymore.”

Despite having “more room to report,” because of the drop in violence, it doesn’t necessarily translate to more room in the newscasts.

“I was walking around the city doing interviews, without any kind of security protection or back up at all. That felt great,” says NBC correspondent Richard Engel. “People are getting out more. You see more people on the streets going to markets. When I go to do interviews, I can stay longer.”

Comments

Spare us the crocodile tears about the troops, please, liberals.

rockmom on June 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I notice he didn’t leave much of a pause – maybe he’s hoping if he speaks fast enough that they wont be able to make Youtube mashups.

apollyonbob on June 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM

The MSM does the Islamiofacists a great service.
They are like the lawyers for a serial killer.

RobCon on June 11, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Trying to sway the Left on the war is a waste of time.

They’ve had their minds made up – “war bad!” – and they aren’t going to change their minds. And the media isn’t going to start singing the praises of the surge, though there have been some ripples in the MSM on the positive side.

Anything McCain says on the war is going to be twisted back to their old mantra and that only keeps their views fresh in the minds of their kook base.

I don’t like McCain, but McCain needs to keep the focus on Obambi’s huge negatives – economy, taxes, FP.

Otherwise it’s a wash.

McCain is not going to bring over any anti-war Dems, no matter what he says.

catmman on June 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM

As someone who served in the 2nd ID in Korea, we’ve maintained anywhere from 35-45,000 troops in county over the years. This is no small number.

You’d have to be a complete dolt not to get the gist of what McCain has repeatedly said on this issue.

moxie_neanderthal on June 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I want to see someone push Obama on how many casualties he’s willing to accept in his bid to get the troops out quickly.
If he isn’t going to let the generals do it when it is best strategically (as McCain wants to do), he must surely acknowledge his plan increases US troop vulnerability.

Also, Dr. Susan Rice has acknowledged Obama will have to leave behind support troops. Has anyone asked her how many and for how long, or how they will be protected?

Please, McCain camp, cut through the fog and ask the press to ask Obama more details about his plan.

MayBee on June 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Like I said before, Dems don’t really care at all about the war. The more intelligent ones know we can’t just up and leave and, as evidenced by the video you linked to last week of the Democrat who admitted to using lies about Bush and the war to win in ’06, it is used as a tool to deceive voters.

No one wants our troops killed or injured. But the Middle East and Islamic fanaticism is a global security issue. Dialogue will have no punch without the troop presence.

Connie on June 11, 2008 at 1:00 PM

“Good News is No News”
So sayeth the MSM

redshirt on June 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM

WisCon on June 11, 2008 at 1:04 PM

More people were probably killed last month in the Chicago community Obama organized than were killed in Iraq.

Maybe the media should redeploy to the South Side and report on the intractable quagmire.

JammieWearingFool on June 11, 2008 at 1:05 PM

McCain has got to be more careful in choosing his words re: Iraq.

There is no stopping someone from taking 3 words out of your sentence and pretending that’s all you said. McCain’s comment was great, and Obama is doing old-style misrepresentation of it.

MayBee on June 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM

The problem here is that he appears to cede the point that the “important thing” or “the key” is that we don’t have troops in danger.

DaveS on June 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM

This man is dangerous. If he wins, it will only be because the Dems, as usual, have put up the worst possible candidate evah ! (And that’s saying something.)

stenwin77 on June 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Can’t knock the Dems for seizing on it:

Yeah, we can and more importantly SHOULD. This may be an election year but don’t our troops deserve better than to be drug into the middle of debate in this manner? Shame on both sides for politicizing the military servicemembers! Talk about the war all you want but leave the troops alone.

highhopes on June 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM

If Kerry wants to play, let’s play.

McCain said: What’s important is the casualties in Iraq. Americans are in South Korea, Americans are in Japan, American troops are in Germany — that’s all fine. American casualties and the ability to withdraw.”

Kerry called the remarks “unbelievably out of touch and inconsistent with the needs and concerns of Americans,”

OMG! Kerry is saying the casualites in Iraq are not important! He is saying the American people and troops don’t care about the number of casualties in Iraq!

MayBee on June 11, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Obama has taken McCain’s words out of context before (& lied about that). Let them lie & deceive. Hopefully the truth will get out there.

jgapinoy on June 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Rush just played a clip of John McCain saying, ” I will veto every single BEER that has earmarks.”

How could this senior senior citizen get the nomination? What a joke.

stenwin77 on June 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM

McCain says it’s “not too important” when troops come home from Iraq

Now I think that I have truly heard it all.

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM

What he said was perfectly sensible. You may disagree with it, but don’t go all b!tchcakes on us because he said it’s “not too important” when the troops come home, that casualties are much more important. He’s certainly not “confused” or “out of touch”. If you disagree with McCain we could play the game and say “Gasp! You mean to say casualties AREN’T important?! You’re so confused and out of touch!

Paul-Cincy on June 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM

McCain always add that Obama wants to put the troops in a base in Kuwait, what difference does it matter if they are in Kuwait or Iraq, especially if our democratic ally in Iraq ask us to stay there in our base.

always include that point.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 1:33 PM

stenwin77 on June 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Oh no, McCain made a mistake, he is completely senile.
/sarc

McCain is completely right here. I’m glad he has stuck to his guns on Iraq, we wouldn’t have the success we have now without him.

Complete7 on June 11, 2008 at 1:35 PM

someone needs to embarrass NBC publicly, and ask if they will now update their ill-founded claim that Iraq was a Civil War, a meme they have since dropped while not acknowledging it.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I don’t know, casualties are already up to 1.09 per day from 0.68 last month… Let’s not be overly optimistic now.

Seixon on June 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM

You’re so confused and out of touch!

Paul-Cincy on June 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM

You may wish to believe that with all your heart, a wishin’ and a hopin’, but no power on earth can make it so. At least not yet anyway.

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Anyone who tries to make this statement into McCain as some sort of misstep is either high, stupid or both.

D2Boston on June 11, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Kerry and Obama aide Susan Rice also both said McCain is “confused”

gumble on June 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM

When the troops do come home, let’s keep them out of the danger zones here.

American military deaths in Iraq (May, 2008) 19
Murders in New York City (May, 2008) 43

Amer. military deaths in Iraq (Jan – Apr) 160
Murders in Chicago (Jan-Apr) 134

MSM not keeping score any longer? No wonder.

whitetop on June 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM

George W. Bush’s secret MySpace entry:
Hi. My name is United States President George Walker Bush. You can call me the Commander Guy if you want. Or you can just call me The Decider if you want. I am now in my second triumphant term after wining it by an even bigger landslide than I won my first marvelous term by.
I graduated from Yale in June 1968 in the top 99% of my class. Then I went into the Texas Air National Guard. I was a Top Gun and almost single handedly protected America from the Viet Cong. You didn’t see any Viet Cong in America, now did you? Well did you? See. See what I mean.
I am sure to go down in history as one of the greatest Presidents of all time in U.S. history. Probably only after that guy what’s his name George something. Hey, I just thought of it, he had the same first name as me!
After binging peace and tranquility and democracy to Muslim moms and dads in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, I will now lead Republicans to a clean sweep in 2008 as all Republicans will run on my outstanding legacy. I don’t know how any of them will be able to lose that way. Just wait and see. One success will follow the other as everything I touch just seems to turn to gold.
I sometimes like to chill out after a long day of serving the American people by watching reruns of The Marx Brothers on TV. Don’t you just love those guys? I have learned so much from them and try to make all my cabinet level and department head selections based on their philosophy.
I would like to think that I am open minded, honest, trustworthy and polite except to those damn unpatriotic cut and runner surrender monkeys!!! What is wrong with them anyway? I just don’t get it. Can’t they understand how brilliant my strategy is? Fighting them over there so we don’t have to fight them over here. I know that is the opposite of my philosophy during Vietnam but hey, I like to keep the bad guys guessing! Pretty tricky huh? Kind of like that Niccolo Macaroni guy or that Sun Chop Suey guy. I must say that I am not too fond of that al-Maliki guy anymore, him balking at my status of forces agreement so that we can stay in Iraq forever, in fact I am thinking about what happened to that Ngo Dinh Diem guy in Vietnam. If al-Maliki doesn’t get with my program pretty damn fast and stop making me look bad! Know what I mean don’t you?
Who I’d like to meet:
…. Cool people who live close to Washington D.C. so that we can get together after work, kick back, and have a whole lot of fun while making more plans for more great nation building in the religion of peace part of the world, and maybe even in Iran, with my very best war time advisers Dick, my anointed successor John and his brain Joe.

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM

“100 years” = 2 words (or is it actually three?)
“not too important” = 3 words

Let’s put that sort of half-assed quoting to good use…

After Obama was asked, “Do you really think your team can get away with stealing the nomination,” he said “yes we can”.

ynot4tony2 on June 11, 2008 at 2:09 PM

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Completely pointless post.

terryannonline on June 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

If Senator McCain was cavalier in saying it’s “not too important,” then leftists are gutless femmes in chanting that the troops must run for their lives because they’re all gonna die!

The leftist trope is an attack on the manhood of our troops. But what else is new?

jeff_from_mpls on June 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM

The libs are really trying to seize on the “we care about the troops” line as much as they can. The other day, I caught an Obama add for that show “Army Wives”, in which he talked about supporting our troops and their families. Shameless.

Rick on June 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Paul-Cincy 1:31

don’t go all b!tchcakes on us

I like that!

whitetop on June 11, 2008 at 2:35 PM

When the troops do come home, let’s keep them out of the danger zones here.

American military deaths in Iraq (May, 2008) 19
Murders in New York City (May, 2008) 43

Amer. military deaths in Iraq (Jan – Apr) 160
Murders in Chicago (Jan-Apr) 134

MSM not keeping score any longer? No wonder.

whitetop on June 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Great stuff whitetop…As stated, every major city in the US has neighborhoods as dangerous a Fallujah. Much of which can be traced to democratic welfare institutions and the cycle of crime that follows government funding of young women having children out of wedlock. They don’t want to report it and now they don’t want to report the military and political victory in Iraq…

Nozzle on June 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Completely pointless post.

terryannonline on June 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Them that matter don’t mind and them that mind don’t matter.

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM

It’s not as bad as the headline makes it sound, but you know Obama is going to pounce on this and start repeating it everywhere. McCain has got to be more careful in choosing his words re: Iraq. WisCon on June 11, 2008 at 1:04 PM

No, it’s not as bad. Yes, they will pounce on him, lie about what he said and their mind-numbed followers will repeat their version of what McCain said like the good little lemmings that they are. They did so with McCain’s 100 years quote and milked that for all its worth.

For anyone who hasn’t see this video, here is another example of Obama and his clueless followers successfully slandering McCain before.

Obama Twists John McCain’s Words and Attacks

wise_man on June 11, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Gee and here I thought Obama was running a high class campaing. Didn’t know lying about your opponents comments was high class. Of course the few reporters that call him on it just let it pass with “I never said that”

Zaggs on June 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM

How could this senior senior citizen get the nomination? What a joke.

stenwin77 on June 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Better than saying you’ve visited 57 states, I suppose.

capitalist piglet on June 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Oh holy “J,M&J” I watched my sainted Mother go down hill this way…

First this…

“[it's] not too important” when [the] troops come home from Iraq…

and then…

“They cling to their guns and the constitution…”; even if BHO didn’t say it!

Well hell..
1] It is, Sir!
2] That’s a damn good thing, Sir!
Olde soldier sends!

J_Gocht on June 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Finely honed and eloquently stated. Couldn’t have done better my own self! :)

J_Gocht on June 11, 2008 at 5:24 PM

When the troops do come home, let’s keep them out of the danger zones here.

American military deaths in Iraq (May, 2008) 19
Murders in New York City (May, 2008) 43

Amer. military deaths in Iraq (Jan – Apr) 160
Murders in Chicago (Jan-Apr) 134

MSM not keeping score any longer? No wonder.

whitetop on June 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Aside from military deaths, I would like to know what the murder rate is in Iraq. Is Iraq safer than NYC?

aengus on June 11, 2008 at 7:14 PM

So you’re saying we should take the Iraqis off nation-building welfare?

aengus on June 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM

(from small-town PA) : I dont get it Mav? Are you trying to implode your own campaign?

gxpgxp on June 11, 2008 at 10:08 PM