Breaking: Jim Johnson steps down as chief VP vetter for Obama; Update: McCain camp unloads

posted at 2:50 pm on June 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

Fittingly, no one thought to inform John Kerry that his departure was imminent so Waffles ended up going to bat for the guy and insisting the whole thing was no big deal shortly before Johnson himself decided that it was, in fact, a big deal.

Details forthcoming. In the meantime, no perfunctory statement from Obama about how “this isn’t the Jim Johnson I knew”?

“Jim did not want to distract in any way from the very important task of gathering information about my vice presidential nominee, so he has made a decision to step aside that I accept. We have a very good selection process underway, and I am confident that it will produce a number of highly qualified candidates for me to choose from in the weeks ahead. I remain grateful to Jim for his service and his efforts in this process.”

Update: Good point from the comments: Doesn’t this qualify in Obamaworld at the very least as a “distraction”? Or does the fact that it’s being presented as Johnson’s own decision mean Barry can’t use his favorite rhetorical device?

Update: Who replaces Johnson on the vetting team? Seems like an opportunity for Obama to cozy up to Hillary’s supporters by naming one of her own cronies to the position, like maybe Evan Bayh. That way, when they end up selecting someone else, it’ll be easier to justify overlooking her.

Update: Notes Marc Ambinder, “Something changed; yesterday, this was a ‘game’ and irrelevant; today, it was important enough to accept Johnson’s resignation.” Is there more to come? New stuff that Team Barry’s crackerjack vetting team forgot to check on in advance?

Update: Geraghty spies a pattern: “Once again, we see that Obama’s first instinct when encountering a skeptical questioner is to challenge the questioner; ‘no, you’re wrong.’ Twenty-four hours ago, this was ‘a game’ and Johnson didn’t work for Obama. Once again, as with Wright, and the flag pin, and Trinity United, etc., the initial answer is now inoperative.” Right. When do we finally hear, “This isn’t the Bill Ayers I knew,” I wonder? August? September?

Update: Now that an Obama advisor’s been stung by shady dealings, Time suddenly decides that it was probably unfair to go after McCain’s advisors’ lobbyist connections and that we should all rise above the fray.

Update: Obligatory.

“Jim Johnson’s resignation raises serious questions about Barack Obama’s judgment. Selecting the vice presidential nominee is the most important decision a presidential candidate can make and one even Barack Obama has said will ’signal how I want to operate my presidency.’ By entrusting this process to a man who has now been forced to step down because of questionable loans, the American people have reason to question the judgment of a candidate who has shown he will only make the right call when under pressure from the news media. America can’t afford a president who flip-flops on key questions in the course of 24 hours. That’s not change we can believe in.” –McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama’s bus claims another victim.

Slublog on June 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Took one for the team. Like doing a fat chick in a bar when you’re really, really hammered.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Jim did not want to distract in any way from the very important task

How could something be tangential and a distraction?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

The wheels on the bus go round and round

Tazz 55 on June 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Obama: “I’ve thrown so many people under the bus lately – can you just throw yourself under this one, Jimmy?”

Think_b4_speaking on June 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Some fat chicks are sexy. Not that I’d do any of’em.
Just sayin’….

tomk59 on June 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, and no statement about how noting the fleeing of a top adviser from his campaign with his tail between his legs would be a distraction. Must be an offday.

Mark V. on June 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Slublog on June 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM

It’s getting pretty crowded under there.

amerpundit on June 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I thought Johnson didn’t really work for him. How can Obama accept his resignation?

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.

murty on June 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM

The wheels on the bus go round and round

Tazz 55 on June 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM

hahahahaha!

CP on June 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM

“He hasn’t been proposed for a confirmable position. He’s not in a position to do anything except provide information to somebody who wants information and he’s proven himself somebody who has a great skill gathering that information and keeping it personal and private. You will recall there were zero leaks from my process.”

–Sen. John Kerry (D). Sounds like he’s describing a devious, spying sneak whose main value is obsequious loyalty.

RushBaby on June 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM

We need a parody of Weird Al’s parody on the Queen song…

SPCOlympics on June 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Barry’d better vet the vetters better.

Steve Z on June 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM

The wheels on the bus go round and round. round and round. round and round.

lorien1973 on June 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM

We need a photo shop, or a cartoon, of Barry dressed like Evil Kneval (sp?) driving a bus while jumping over a bunch of people…

And a couple of guys standing to the side saying, “dam, if this goea on any longer we’re gonna need a higher ramp…”

Romeo13 on June 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Like the Clintons, Obama’s “strength” is in massive numbers. There are so many bad guys (and girls) in his tent that it is hard to concentrate on any one of them, thereby diluting the effect of any scandal.

MaiDee on June 11, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Monica Crowley [sp] had an audio of Obama’s comments. Clearly he had no teleprompter commentary prepared. The first two minutes was “I … uh … uh … I mean … uh … you know … uh …”

OhEssYouCowboys on June 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Just how big is the BHO bus?

Can (will) he throw the US under it after the election?

Timothy S. Carlson on June 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM

“Jim, it’s Barack. We need to talk.”

I bet this will help Michelle O.’s children.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM

How many times now has Obama’s campaign backed down in the face of criticism? What happens the first time Putin says something nasty?

Is there any issue Obama is prepared to defend in the face of criticism?

They’re unprepared, incompetent, and blind.

rockhauler on June 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Just how big is the BHO bus?

It’s not a bus. That’s so….how do you say? Commoner.

It’s a stretch Hummer.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM

He should name Clinton as the VP search commander. So she can nominate herself. Like Cheney did. Hah.

Seixon on June 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Wow. The flips and flops are getting shorter and shorter. How many hours elapsed between the Jerusalem comments?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

BO needs to learn that when you govern by sticking your finger up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing, you are supposed to wet it first!

singlemalt_18 on June 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Just how big is the BHO bus?

Can (will) he throw the US under it after the election?

Timothy S. Carlson on June 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Hes already warming up for the toss..

Viper1 on June 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Paging Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson?

wccawa on June 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Bus #8 we’re in need
Of another dastardly deed
Turn right at the tracks
Aim straight for his back
Make sure you put on the speed!

Limerick on June 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Throwing a grandmother or pastor under a bus is one thing, but the ability to take quick action on appointed positions is something I wish Bush was much better at.

pedestrian on June 11, 2008 at 3:05 PM

11:30 AM

Staffer: Hey Barack, what do you want for lunch?

BHO: Uhhhhh. Ummmmm. Tacos.

1:OO PM

Statement from the campaign

We did not want tacos to distract in any way from the very important task of providing lunch. So tacos made a decision to step aside that I accept. We have a very good selection process underway for lunch, and I am confident that it will produce a number of highly qualified dishes for me to choose from in the next few minutes. I remain grateful to tacos in the process. We are considering pizza in its place.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I can’t wait to see Barry’s cabinet. The sign on the meeting room can have a sign that says “You must have committed this many felonies to enter”.

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

We need a parody of Weird Al’s parody on the Queen song…
SPCOlympics on June 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

And another one’s gone, another one’s gone, another one’s uner the bus.

Well that’s the chorus, someone else pick up the verses. Might be a nice Youtube video. . .

But the big question still remains:
How does this help Michelle’s children?

rbj on June 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Sign Barry up for the gymnastics team. We could use all his flip flops in this coming Olympics.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Barry’d better vet the vetters better.

Steve Z on June 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Michele would tear up the resignation letter of the vetter debtor if he let her.

cntrlfrk on June 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Wuss. (Yes, I’m thinking of another word.)

baldilocks on June 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM

First “sign” should have been “door” in post above. Damn malt liquor.

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Maybe he could mend fences with the Clintstones and offer the job to their friend Mark Rich.

Annar on June 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM

The Kerry part is the funniest. Kerry’s always stepping into shi*t in his wing-tips. Makes my day.

Didn’t Johnson find Edwards for Lurch?

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

How did Bambi even notice a guy stepping aside that didn’t even work for him?

He’s nice.

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

The Obama express is a cavalcade of cockups! I sense a pattern here.

ronsfi on June 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Didn’t Johnson find Edwards for Lurch?

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Yep. He worked for Walter Mondale’s 1984 campaign, too.

amerpundit on June 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

One down, one to go. Caroline can stay.

marybel on June 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM

This looks fairly cut and dry. that is, Johnson took one for the team. BUT, let’s play devil’s advocate here for a second. Are we sure that Obama didn’t have a Michael/Fredo heart-to-heart?

“You broke my heart Jim.”

Not to be conspiratorial on this, but this is unusual for Obama to not chuck someone under the bus.

Thomas

MrAndMrsSmith on June 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM

To the tune of ‘Another one bites the Dust’ by Queen (Choirs only – Sorry no time to do the entire song…)

Another one under the bus
Another one under the bus
And another one gone and another one gone
Another one under the bus hey
Hey I’m gonna dump you too
Another one under the bus!

CrazyFool on June 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM

“he’s proven himself somebody who has a great skill gathering that information and keeping it personal and private.”

Hey, Kerry’s right for once. Johnson did a great job of keeping Fannie Mae’s investors and its government regulators from getting accurate financial information about Fannie Mae’s massive accounting scandals. He also did a great job of keeping secret from the public information about the giant below-market interest rate mortgage he obtained from his buddy at Countrywide, in an obvious conflict-of-interest sleazy deal.

Yep, if you’re looking for a guy who can keep secrets, Johnson’s your man.

AZCoyote on June 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Barack is gonna be introuble soon enough, the only person who he’ll be able to get to work for him is gonna be Karl Rove.

Rbastid on June 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM

But the big question still remains:
How does this help Michelle’s children?

It won’t. It will probably hurt them.

Barak: I see that you have been causing trouble at school. I think it would be better if you lived with Grandma for awhile.

Daughter: Daddy! No! Not the busssss!

SPCOlympics on June 11, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Where’s James Carville when you need someone to spin for you?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 3:20 PM

What’s wrong with change?

Jim Treacher on June 11, 2008 at 3:23 PM

One down, one to go. Caroline can stay.

marybel on June 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM

She has absolutely no qualifications.
In that case, why not Ron Regan Jr., or Snoop Dog?

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Maybe the VP pick Johnson suggested wouldn’t provide a birth certificate so Barry got pissed.

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM

If you all would like to see the bus, go to Michell’s site and see what S/D did. It is good.
L

letget on June 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Barack walks warily down the street
with the brim pulled way down low
ain’t no sound but the sound of his keys
diesel ready to go
Are you ready, Are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the staffers trip
under the wheels and onto the street

Another one under the bus
Another one under the bus
And another one gone and another one gone
Another one under the bus hey
Hey I’m gonna dump you too
Another one under the bus!

How do you think I’m going to get along,
Without you, when you’re gone
Knowing you is making me look bad,
my own grandma I disown

Are you happy, are you satisfied
How long can drag on the street
Out of the doorway the staffers trip
under the wheels and onto the street

Another one under the bus
Another one under the bus
And another one gone and another one gone
Another one under the bus hey
Hey I’m gonna dump you too
Another one under the bus

Another one under the bus
Another one under the bus
Another one under the bus
Another one under the bus
There are plenty of ways you can hurt the campaign
And run it into the ground
You can Preach it
You can cheat it
You can treat it bad and leave it
When it down
But I’m ready, yes I’m ready for you
So get your butt up off the seat
Out of the doorway the staffers trip
under the wheels and onto the street

Stephen Macklin on June 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM

She has absolutely no qualifications.
In that case, why not Ron Regan Jr., or Snoop Dog?

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Insane Clown Posse would be a better choice (and probably more appropriate).

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Yeah where is Comrade Obama’s birth certificate? Who would think you wouldn’t just give that up with no quibble. Heck it’s not like it’s John Kerry’s military record or something important.

tarpon on June 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Another mysterious victim lost in the Obama Triangle™

faraway on June 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM

C’mon Dad, cut me some slack. What kind of quals are needed for a “tangential,” part-time, volunteerishy… kind of…uuum, not really “work”..kinda….uuuum, thing?

But Ron,Jr., however, is way too busy doing dog shows.

marybel on June 11, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Hey, it’s Wednesday….someone had to go under the bus.

BO is showing quite good judgment by firing virtually everybody that is close to him. I half expect to read he will file for divorce if the polls go against him.

David in ATL on June 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Barack Hussein Obama on Imam Wright: That’s not the man I knew for 20 years

Barack Hussein Obama on Imam Pfelger: That’s not the man I knew for 20 years

Barack Hussein Obama on Tony Rezko: That’s not the man I knew for 20 years

Barack Hussein Obama on Louis Farrakhan: That’s not the man I knew for 20 years

Barack Husssein Obama on Michelle Obama: That’s not the man I knew for 20 years

Barack Hussein Obama on

SaintOlaf on June 11, 2008 at 4:02 PM

driving a bus while junping over a bunch of people…

Lorien1973 on June 11,2008 at 2:59PM.

Lorien1973: Hey,speaking of photoshopping,wasn’t there a
scene in Nightmare on Elm Street,where claw
guy was driving the bus over the clift,or it
was being suspended over the cliff!

Morph Obama over Jason?

canopfor on June 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Hey… I don’t know what all the fuss is about. BHO has promised CHANGE. He is in near constant production of same. He HOPES you appreciate that he produces that which he promises: CHANGE.

Yoop on June 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM

My guess is, come October (surprise!) we’ll be hearing:

“That’s not the Michelle I knew!”

seanrobins on June 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM

How about Rezko heading up the VP search?………..Wait, Rezko for VP! :)

ThePrez on June 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM

It’s 3am

The white house phone rings

Obama is wide awake…

He smoked too much crack

SaintOlaf on June 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Ummm,like the line from the movie Jaws,where he says
where going to need a bigger boat,and in Obama’s case,
he’s going to need a bigger bus! ha ha.

Oh,and another thought,if Obama gets the prize,
who’s doin his secruity detail,the secret service,
or is it Farrahkan’s guards,going to be a crowded
White House,me thinks!

canopfor on June 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.

Let’s put Johnson to work on the Penske file, right away.

pseudonominus on June 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Some fat chicks are sexy. Not that I’d do any of’em.
Just sayin’….

tomk59 on June 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Proof, here…nah, just kidding :)

JiangxiDad, since when is being “qualified” a prerequisite for anything on the left? She’s a Kennedy, and Ed’s niece…bla, bla, bla…this is the transfer of the ‘camelot’ baton.

Jacqueline “Barack is not Camelot. Michelle is not Jackie, you mentally wanting people”.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM

What we’re not going to hear soon:

“Barrack Obama has made a personal decision to step down for the good of the campaign. I’m not the Barrack Obama I used to know.”

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM

You with your hesitating
And you always contemplating
What to do
When heaven has found you
Can’t you see
That it’s all wrapped up in the Messiah that’s me
So follow me

Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
I’m Obama the Piper
Trust in me
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at

Voters
Don’t be scared to into the White House to help me move
Hey, voters
What do you think I’m tryin’ to prove?
It ain’t true
That My Michelle would like to punch and kick you
It’s just in your mind
And that’s all that’s trickin’ you
So step in line

Come on, voters
Come on, voters
Trust in me
Come on, voters
Can’t you see
Come on, voters
I’m Obama the Piper

MB4 on June 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM

seanrobins on June 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Oh wow. That would be delightful.

Oink on June 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Bum, bum, bum…another one bites the dust

LtE126 on June 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

MB4, perfect. All, sing to this tune.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Stephen Macklin on June 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM

APPLAUSE! ENCORE!

Tuning Spork on June 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM

How many victims will fit under that bus before it high-centers and gets stuck?

innominatus on June 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM

That’s not change we can believe in.” –McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds

No, but it’s change we’ll have shoved up our arses, collectively. The country needs an enema (credit goes to whoever believes to have said it first).

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 4:26 PM

murty on June 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Heh. Unpaid volunteer, right?

Jaibones on June 11, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Some fat chicks are sexy.Not that I’d do any of ‘em.
Just sayin’….

tom59 on June 11,2008 at 2:55PM.

tom59: The type you might be speaking of,is possibly,
called,”Largest in Chargest”! Haha. :)

canopfor on June 11, 2008 at 4:34 PM

How do you think he’s gonna vet ‘em now
With Jimmy J long gone?
Jim took one for Barry, tho it made him sad
He kicked himself out in the cold

Are they happy, are they satisfied?
All they feel is the exhaust heat
Under the bus, Barry’s grammy cries,
“I always made typical white person cookies for you to eat”!

Ha. I know the last one is long, but I laughed so hard at myself when I wrote it that I had to put it in.

LickyLicky on June 11, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Johnson wasn’t fired. He has been strategically redeployed to Okinawa.

jl on June 11, 2008 at 4:35 PM

This will play well with the Hillary supporters, who wish Bill had dismissed his Johnson years ago. No…wait….

jl on June 11, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Johnson wasn’t fired. He has been strategically redeployed to Okinawa.

jl on June 11, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Credit to whom it belongs, one Mr. Murtha

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Update: Obligatory.

John McCain’s campaign is as inspiring as chicken broth. That sad expression of outrage is so pro-forma they probably have the template laminated in the press office

highhopes on June 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM

BTW, Isn’t it going to be Hillary in the end anyway?

highhopes on June 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Worst. Campaign. Ever.

rockmom on June 11, 2008 at 4:43 PM

BHO’s big problem now is his loose cannon wife. Maybe he’ll divorce her before the election.

(divorce court excerpt) …This is not the Michelle that I’ve known for 20 years.

Mojave Mark on June 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I keep telling you, folks. Looks for Barry/Hillary switch a la Toricelli/Lautenberg.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Is this Barry’s bus?

right2bright on June 11, 2008 at 4:55 PM

A democrat superdelegate in south Florida said this morning that he hasn’t committed to supporting barry and will wait until after he has an opportunity to talk to mccain about issues. Could be hillary hasn’t released her delegates yet because she wants a vote at the convention.

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM

That superdelegate is a US rep, by the way,

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Is this Barry’s bus?

Imagine being the responsible citizens who road that bus because they knew they’d be drinking that night.

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM

As mentioned earlier Johnson ran the Mondale campaign and advised on vp positions for all Dem races except during the Clinton years.

Not really a winning resume there.

Also LGF pointed out that he is the Vice Chairmen of the Perseus Fund which is a Soros entity and also is the parent company for the publisher who released the Scott McClellan book.

The NYT did a profile on him which shows he was doing CEO compensation committee stuff for a lot of major companies and that was a major target for Obama to shoot at.

A bad pick from record, issues Obama is targeting and then the loan issues added on to that.

CommentGuy on June 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM

only the Donks could mess up a made hand this badly.

barry needs a huge lead coming out of his convention to hold off the late surge that Mac will surely earn by wiping the floor with mr. o in the debates. that big early lead does not look likely with these types of sefl inflicted gsw’s

DrW on June 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM

SaintOlaf at 4:02

Instant Comedy Classic!

jgapinoy on June 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM

This stepped all over Barry’s big Economics Week too.

EPIC FAIL

rockmom on June 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM

The strings are pulled by one of the most dangerous men to this country, Soros.

The country needs to give him a big finger in Nov.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Isn’t it interesting how quiet Hillary has been since Saturday?

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Obama is worried that Jones’ work at Fannie Mae will be scrutinized.

davod on June 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM

She has absolutely no qualifications.
In that case, why not Ron Regan Jr., or Snoop Dog?

JiangxiDad on June 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Neither does Obama. That didn’t stop him from getting the nomination. Why stop now?

phronesis on June 11, 2008 at 5:32 PM

This seems pretty ridiculous to actually have him step down. They could’ve easily just waited this out for another few days and say his role in the campaign ended.

Typhonsentra on June 11, 2008 at 5:44 PM