Breaking: Jim Johnson steps down as chief VP vetter for Obama; Update: McCain camp unloads

posted at 2:50 pm on June 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

Fittingly, no one thought to inform John Kerry that his departure was imminent so Waffles ended up going to bat for the guy and insisting the whole thing was no big deal shortly before Johnson himself decided that it was, in fact, a big deal.

Details forthcoming. In the meantime, no perfunctory statement from Obama about how “this isn’t the Jim Johnson I knew”?

“Jim did not want to distract in any way from the very important task of gathering information about my vice presidential nominee, so he has made a decision to step aside that I accept. We have a very good selection process underway, and I am confident that it will produce a number of highly qualified candidates for me to choose from in the weeks ahead. I remain grateful to Jim for his service and his efforts in this process.”

Update: Good point from the comments: Doesn’t this qualify in Obamaworld at the very least as a “distraction”? Or does the fact that it’s being presented as Johnson’s own decision mean Barry can’t use his favorite rhetorical device?

Update: Who replaces Johnson on the vetting team? Seems like an opportunity for Obama to cozy up to Hillary’s supporters by naming one of her own cronies to the position, like maybe Evan Bayh. That way, when they end up selecting someone else, it’ll be easier to justify overlooking her.

Update: Notes Marc Ambinder, “Something changed; yesterday, this was a ‘game’ and irrelevant; today, it was important enough to accept Johnson’s resignation.” Is there more to come? New stuff that Team Barry’s crackerjack vetting team forgot to check on in advance?

Update: Geraghty spies a pattern: “Once again, we see that Obama’s first instinct when encountering a skeptical questioner is to challenge the questioner; ‘no, you’re wrong.’ Twenty-four hours ago, this was ‘a game’ and Johnson didn’t work for Obama. Once again, as with Wright, and the flag pin, and Trinity United, etc., the initial answer is now inoperative.” Right. When do we finally hear, “This isn’t the Bill Ayers I knew,” I wonder? August? September?

Update: Now that an Obama advisor’s been stung by shady dealings, Time suddenly decides that it was probably unfair to go after McCain’s advisors’ lobbyist connections and that we should all rise above the fray.

Update: Obligatory.

“Jim Johnson’s resignation raises serious questions about Barack Obama’s judgment. Selecting the vice presidential nominee is the most important decision a presidential candidate can make and one even Barack Obama has said will ’signal how I want to operate my presidency.’ By entrusting this process to a man who has now been forced to step down because of questionable loans, the American people have reason to question the judgment of a candidate who has shown he will only make the right call when under pressure from the news media. America can’t afford a president who flip-flops on key questions in the course of 24 hours. That’s not change we can believe in.” –McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

michaelo on June 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

What Soros lacky will they find now?

Lonetown on June 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Now there’s a Tucker with stones, (and he’s McCain spokesman, imagine that!).
I love the word ‘tangentially’, it flows over the palate like fine wine; perhaps that will be Barry’s best contribution to the political discourse.

Christine on June 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Hey. Give the guy a break..he doesn’t know who’s on his staff.

Come on.. the guy only sat through 20 years of Imam Wright’s kill whitey/kill jews speeches.

He’s either

A. a deaf, clueless idiot

B. a rabid, white hating/jew hating, terrorist sympathizing, racist

SaintOlaf on June 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Obama: The Teflon Marxist.

(yeah, it doesn’t roll off the tongue, but it’s acurate).

VolMagic on June 11, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Hey. Give the guy a break..he doesn’t know who’s on his staff.

He’s either

A. a deaf, clueless idiot

B. a rabid, white hating/jew hating, terrorist sympathizing, racist

SaintOlaf on June 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM

How about, all of the above.

byteshredder on June 11, 2008 at 6:02 PM

I want that on a t-shirt.

TexasDan on June 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

That was my first question when I heard this news on the radio. Why would he resign over merely this, especially after BO had already committed to his defense? His resignation puts egg on Obama’s face. It seems to be a dead giveaway that there’s more there to come, and resignation was an effort to avoid further investigation.

petefrt on June 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Hey. Give the guy a break..he doesn’t know who’s on his staff.

He’s either

A. a deaf, clueless idiot

B. a rabid, white hating/jew hating, terrorist sympathizing, racist

SaintOlaf on June 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Yeah, buddy.

RushBaby on June 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM

OMG this becoming a daily dose of world class comedy … and it’s free if you own a computer.

David in ATL on June 11, 2008 at 6:19 PM

“America can’t afford a president who flip-flops more and faster than John Forbes Kerry”.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 6:28 PM

The wheels on the bus go round and round round and round round and round the wheels on the bus go round and round all through Obama’s closest contacts.

Where is Obama’s birth certificate?

Dr Evil on June 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Do you find yourself talking, not out loud, like Obama when reading quotes of his? like

Barack Obama has said will ’signal how I want to operate my presidency.’

I find myself doing his 2 or 3 words at a time dance.

WoosterOh on June 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM

He’s been thrown under the bus because he wasn’t doing Michelle’s (M.O. Not MM) kids any good.

But I have to ask… What’s wrong with a candidate throwing his people under the bus?

I wish Juan would throw the other Juan under the bus… Heck, I’ll even buy the fuel for the bus.
Los Dos Juans: Viny Foxxys elite troops por la reconquesta.

LegendHasIt on June 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM

OOOPS, I just made a comment about the other guy on an Obama thread. I have been told not to do so, and I said I’d try to avoid it.

My apologies.
Stay on topic, people.

LegendHasIt on June 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Obama: The Teflon Marxist.

(yeah, it doesn’t roll off the tongue, but it’s acurate).

VolMagic on June 11, 2008 at 5:59 PM

The Teflon Trotskyite?

The Polytetrafluoroethylene Progressive?

The Gore-tex Gaffer?

misterpeasea on June 11, 2008 at 7:52 PM

to go after McCain’s advisors’ lobbyist connections

Masterful use of the apostrophe… Color me impressed.
Hey all you peeps, watch and learn.

silverfox on June 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM

That’s not change we can believe in.”

McCain’s reallly gotta come up with something more clever than this. Simply putting “not” in front of your opponents slogan just doesn’t cut it.

crr6 on June 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Oh what a quandry. So many people to throw under the bus…so little time between now and 2016 when I finish my second term. Oh the agony of audacity.

wepeople on June 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Simply putting “not” in front of your opponents slogan just doesn’t cut it.

crr6 on June 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Yes it does, when the slogan is as fluffy as that one.

Socialists/Marxists’ slogans are all like that, and easy targets.

Substance where art thou?

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM

crr6, what exactly, from political history’s standpoint, is Obama promising to do (without saying how to pay for it, other than robbing us, which is not new) that is new?

Nothing. It’s all been promised/tried before. That’s exactly “change one can’t believe in”.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Yes it does, when the slogan is as fluffy as that one.

Socialists/Marxists’ slogans are all like that, and easy targets.

Substance where art thou?

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Just curious…do you actually get away with using the word “Marxist” to describe Obama in real conversations with intelligent people? Do you realize how ridiculous it makes you sound? From what I’ve read you’re clearly a smart person, it’s beneath you.

Anyway, I agree that his slogan isn’t “substantive”…but I’m pretty sure slogans aren’t supposed to be. They’re just slogans.

crr6 on June 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM

If McCain’s camp keeps this up, they may convince me yet to vote for him.

SouthernGent on June 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM

crr6 on June 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Can’t speak for Entel, but I’ve brought up Comrade Obambi’s marxist tendencies many times with people I consider intelligent. Haven’t had anyone disagree yet. Had quite a few respond with a worried frown and nod in agreement.

People aren’t blind crr6. They’re not even trying to hide it anymore. This bolshevik crap isn’t going to fly.

techno_barbarian on June 12, 2008 at 12:33 AM

crr6 on June 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Thanks for the compliment crr6. I think the same of you.

I’ve tried hard to use the terms Socialist/Marxist, as I did in the quote you chose to use only one half from, when describing Obamas tendencies. I know the difference, and he’s between the two. I lived the latter, and know exactly what it means, on my own skin. I also know socialism very well. I stand by my comments about him, and yes I do use the same terms, in combination, in conversations. If you can give me a term in between the two, I’ll consider using it.

Entelechy on June 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Blech, s/b Obama’s tendencies, of course.

Entelechy on June 12, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Obama? McCain??

Our nation deserves better than these two clowns that the leftist media has foisted upon the clueless, uneducated masses that have been churned out of the Marxist education indoctrination centers we call schools.

electric-rascal on June 12, 2008 at 2:04 AM

crr6 on June 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM

So much for subtlety.

Nevertheless, I’m just surprised Mr. Johnson didn’t wait till Friday afternoon.

geckomon on June 12, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Yet one more red hot smoking gun that the MSM will dutifully ignore.

spmat on June 12, 2008 at 9:38 AM

“At this rate, Barry’s bus will need off-road tires just to get over eveyone being thrown under it.

michaelo on June 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM”

Nah…he just needs good suspension…of disbelief.

Doug on June 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Obama…………….Why do we even know who this shmuck is? What the hell is he doing at the top of the democratic ticket? The country has obviously gone mad……….No wonder they call the current crop of kids “The Dumbest Generation”.

If this kind of idiocy keeps up, we are gonners. First the Mexicans, now the dumbasses..What next, the Chineese? Or maybe the Arabs.

saiga on June 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Obamajebus can replace ANY of his diciples without ANY ill effects because he IS Obamajebus.

Have you infadels not realized this yet?

44Magnum on June 13, 2008 at 3:08 AM