Bobby Jindal, exorcist?

posted at 10:06 pm on June 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

For your late-evening reading pleasure. TPM’s in full squeal over having dug up this very minor bit of oppo research, and while I’m certainly not the guy to scold them for scoffing at possession and faith healing, I do find it encouraging that (a) they’re already worried about him and (b) the best the left has been able to do thus far by way of attacking him is smearing/mocking his faith. The guy must be squeaky clean if they’re this desperate for material. Coming in 2012: Democrats versus Catholics!

Exit question anticipating the righteous stampede in the comments to defend Jindal: Would you be as quick to defend Huckabee if he was the one accused of casting out demons?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Where do atheists get their wit and sense of humor from?

To the question – no, wouldn’t defend Huckabee, nor Jindal.

However, that’s not my biggest peeve with Huckabee.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Sweet. You go, Bobby. I’ve cast out a few myself.

Besides…who really needs to fear an exorcist? HMMM?

TexasDan on June 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Maybe Gov. Jindal can get rid of Mr. McCain’s demons, the ones the liberals talk about.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I see your “exorcist” and raise you one “lightworker”. Conservatives think Jindal’s a good guy, but at least we don’t worship him.

Exurban Jon on June 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Freaky-deaky.

Apples and Rotton Tomatoes, my friend. (politically speaking).

VolMagic on June 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM

No, but then again they’re two very different men.

As others noted during his 2003 and 2007 gubernatorial campaigns (see update), in an essay Jindal wrote in 1994 for the New Oxford Review, a serious right-wing Catholic journal, Jindal narrated a bizarre story of a personal encounter with a demon, in which he participated in an exorcism with a group of college friends. And not only did they cast out the supernatural spirit that had possessed his friend, Jindal wrote that he believes that their ritual may well have cured her cancer.

So Jindal believes an exorcism did something supernatural. That’ll surely destroy him. /

amerpundit on June 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Hmmmm. It’s kinda weird.

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM

At her last speech, I saw Michelle Obama’s head spinning around and she was spewing vomit. She had crazy eyes and was screaming like a mad cow. I think his services are needed here.

Alden Pyle on June 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I just brought up voodoo in the post about Carville, what you have to remember, this is “Nawlins.”

abinitioadinfinitum on June 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

LEAVE BOBBY ALONE!

At least until he has the chance to sign the bill allowing parents vouchers to get their kids out of failed Louisiana public schools.

Stupid question. Bobby Jindal isn’t Mike Huckabee. They have virtually nothing in common but the experience as governor and their affiliation with the GOP. Your question is akin to wondering if the defense of Joe Biden would be as quick as the defense of Dennis Kucinich.

highhopes on June 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Exurban Jon on June 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Obama said he can heal the ocean and the earth and stuff, so that does cancel it out.

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

This is EXACTLY what is needed in a city like Washington DC!

ToddonCapeCod on June 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Huckabee’s religion was never my problem with him.

Sue on June 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM

It’s not like he’s the only candidate who’s ever dropped acid or partook of the mushrooms in college. Lots of people have done it and suffered similarly bizarre experiences. I’ve never tried them myself but I’ve talked with people who have and apparently the hallucinations seem very realistic.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Funny how the whole possessed-by-demons thing only happens to those who believe that people are regularly possessed by demons.

Hollowpoint on June 11, 2008 at 10:20 PM

No, because Jindal actually has a functioning brain…proof being he’s not standing in front of snake-handling Pentecostals telling them all about it…

Remember when Hitchens said he didn’t care if every member of the 82nd airborne was a snake-handling Pentacostal..because the were doing such good things for the world (and no, I’m not comparing Jindal to a member of the 82nd Airborne)…but, same principle applies here…Jindal has done more for Louisiana in less than one year than any Governor in that state’s sad history. Results matter…personal religious beliefs, not so much.

Huck is a doofus…that’s the difference.

AUINSC on June 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM

AUINSC on June 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Well played sir!

highhopes on June 11, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Results matter…personal religious beliefs, not so much.

Huck is a doofus…that’s the difference.

AUINSC on June 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM

So true. As long as he doesn’t try to use his office to push his religious beliefs on others I’m not concerned.

Still, it’s pretty weird. I don’t know much about Jindal but this is a mark against him, IMO, even if only a small one, (assuming he doesn’t try to unduly insert his religion into his politics).

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM

the movie, “Exorcism of Emily Rose” is based on a true story, its not exactly that “out there” a thing.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Exorcist. Just what Louisiana needs.

Connie on June 11, 2008 at 10:31 PM

This is EXACTLY what is needed in a city like Washington DC!

ToddonCapeCod on June 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

so true

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:31 PM

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Sure it is…

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM

College?

Ouija.

Get thee behind me, Bogart!

profitsbeard on June 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Would you rather have a super smart guy, with substance and concrete ideas, plus experience, who’s participated in some youthful experiment once, or an empty Messiah who’s stared at a rabid racist preacher for 20 years, ‘unaware’ of it?

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Besides…who really needs to fear an exorcist? HMMM?

TexasDan on June 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Love it!

Connie on June 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I don’t question his faith or his belief in this possession.
Just like I don’t question Huckabee’s faith. I just don’t like Huckabee. He could haul brimstone into my yard and I’d probably throw a few steaks on it. It isn’t Huckabee’s faith that turns me off, it is his attitude.

Limerick on June 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Why am I thinking “Tubular Bells”?

Answering the exit question: Since I am athiest, I honestly wouldn’t care if Huckabee did a bit of outcasting. I simply see it as part of the overall package. Then again, I see Jindal as quite different than Huckabee.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM

I got mine at K-Mart. Blue-Light Special, $12.99, dontcha know. I bought a spare in case this one breaks.

BillH on June 11, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Exorcist. Just what Louisiana needs.

Connie on June 11, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Absolutely. It’s a demon vacation paradise.

Skidd on June 11, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Coming in 2012: Democrats versus Catholics!

So much material there, AP. ;)

Connie on June 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Yes. I’m pro-demon.

Dash on June 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM

BillH on June 11, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Do they have K-Marts in NY?

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM

OK, I’m willing to put Jindal’s exorcisism and politcal experience up against Obama’s cocaine use, flirtation with the Black Power hoods, and his microscopic experience. Cool.

I’ve met too many pastors like Huckabee. They could very well have been car salesmen. He smacks of “are ya believing this? I’m so smooth…”

thatcher on June 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Exorcist. Just what Louisiana needs.

Connie on June 11, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Ding!

And why was there no similar uproar when Obama said that he wanted to build a kingdom here on Earth? Probably because he didn’t specify whose kingdom he meant.

baldilocks on June 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Feh.

Give me Bobby Jindal, Vampire-hunter.

Rhinoboy on June 11, 2008 at 10:44 PM

IMO Huckabee has baggage, as in two-faced televangelist, that I would consider in such a case, unlike Jindal.

aikidoka on June 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM

College? LSD. A little excorcism doesn’t sound so bad to me :-)

funky chicken on June 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I just looked at what Kos , kingfish and gezabel (sp)
wrote. They are proof that Roswell did indeed house
alien lifeforms. . . These just happened to escape.

Texyank on June 11, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Sure it is…

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM

actually it was, based on an allegedly true story of a real excorism in germany, that was authorized by the Catholic church. the NYT’s called the movie “propaganda”, which is a good sign it hit a philosophical nerve.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:48 PM

This is EXACTLY what is needed in a city like Washington DC!

ToddonCapeCod on June 11, 2008 at 10:18 PM

:-)

INC on June 11, 2008 at 10:50 PM

actually it was,

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Lets save time and agree to disagree. :)

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Pfffft. I’ve seen people get hands layed on them to cast out: demons, sickness, homosexuality, fear, etc. I can understand why something like that would scare The Left and some on the Right-not because it’s being done, but because I’ve seen some scary stuff!

SouthernGent on June 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM

From the article:

Reading the article leaves no doubt that Jindal — who graduated from Brown University in 1991, was a Rhodes Scholar, and had been accepted at Yale Law School and Harvard Medical School when he wrote the essay — was completely serious about the encounter. He even said the experience “reaffirmed” his faith.

This is the paraphrase:

“Jindal’s really, really smart! What’s he doing taking the Bible literally???

Because he’s really, really wise.

Skidd on June 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

its a fact that movie was based on a true story, loosely since they made it based in America and changed the name. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Michel

maybe we can have Jindal perform an exorcism of the nutroots like the Kossacks.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

No, because Huckabee annoys the hell out of me.

ThePrez on June 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Palin is the one the libs are really afraid of.

Purple Fury on June 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

And really, this is all a distraction.

ThePrez on June 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Hollowpoint on June 11, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Everyone else thinks it is a chemical imbalance, or maybe repressed trauma

tlynch001 on June 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM

For you skeptics, check out the PBS series Ring of Fire.

They’re definitely not “Christian propagandists,” if that’s your concern, and they encounter quite a bit of the supernatural.

TexasDan on June 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM

wise.

Skidd on June 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Amen

abinitioadinfinitum on June 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM

its a fact that movie was based on a true story,

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

I don’t doubt that the movie was based on a true story, my point is that the aspect of the story where somebody is possessed by a demon is the were they deviated from truth.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Jindal:
Catholic? Check!
Takes his Faith seirously? Check!
Rhodes Scholar? Check!
Governer of Lousiana after the Katrina Debacle? Check!

This guy is a masterpiece!

Vincenzo on June 11, 2008 at 11:01 PM

maybe we can have Jindal perform an exorcism of the nutroots like the Kossacks.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

I’d love to see what effect an exorcism would have on reverend Wright. Ever time I hear him speak his voice reminds me of the classic caricature of a demons voice.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM

youtube of footage of the emily rose exorcism, over 2 million views….kinda creepy.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Bobby Jindal is a squeaky clean candidate. Sure, he may seriously believe religious rituals cure cancer. But otherwise he’s normal.

Now, let’s talk about Obama’s JUDGEMENT.

freevillage on June 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM

I do find it encouraging that (a) they’re already worried about him

There were and continue to be lots of signs that the left hates Mitt Romney but you seem not to notice or care, Allah. My bet is that if he were on the ticket now you would be worried also.

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM

“he’ being Jindal.

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM

If this guy come to washington the dems better fine a big rock to hide under. You go Bobby you are the real deal!!

thmcbb on June 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM

well the Anneliese Michel real life attempt, not the movie emily rose.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM

I wouldn’t defend either, but I think that exorcism stuff is more of a Catholic thing than an Evangelical thing. (And I don’t mean that in a pejorative way.)

its vintage duh on June 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM

No, because where Huckabee got into trouble and angered so many conservatives was his attempting to use his religion against other candidates within his own party, Mitt Romney in particular. Come up with an example of where Jindal is using his Catholicism against other Republicans and you’ll have a more accurate moral equavelancy.

jon1979 on June 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM

As long as your religion doesn’t make you a soft-headed idiot (Huckster), I have no problem with it.

misterpeasea on June 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM

What’s the big deal? He’s a politician, in other words he is not one of us.

winemkr on June 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM

As a Louisianian, I do know this. We got ramrodded today. Jindal does not have the Malkins to call out certain reps of our state that want to close down the Jindal government if he vetoes their 300% increase in pay THAT THEY (our voted in reps) VOTED ON!!!!

I have the phone numbers and email addresses to every one of those political hacks that voted for this. I just have no way to distribute it, other than several email friends.

I would love some help in this area. I have a vision that Bobby held in the election process, and WE THE PEOPLE need to show the governing body that we mean business. Anybody willing to help a brother out?

lsutiger on June 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM

It is almost funny watching people scoff at God.

Jindal’s shown himself to be serious & grounded in so many of the areas where the secular world places its faith – the notion that he’s some sort of flake or nut just doesn’t fly.

Yet that’s the world’s first response when he talks of his experience with demons.

BD57 on June 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Mike Huckabee is no Bobby Jindal.

All Huckabee has to attract some voters is his religion. Bobby is a smart, CONSERVATIVE man who understands how the world works and gets things done who happens to be a man of faith.

It is very disturbing how much attention religion is getting in the election cycle.
Our founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.

EJDolbow on June 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM

I recommend everyone reading, however they can get it, the Limbaugh Letter interview of Jindal. Absolutely fantastic. After reading the interview, the difference between Jindal and Huckabee will be stark, enormous, obvious.

Weebork on June 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Look out, Congress!

Saltysam on June 11, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Good grief. We have a racist / Marxist as the Donk standard bearer, surrounded by vile and reprehensible thugs. McCain is just a little daft. The Clinton’s have yet to explain or defend Bill’s rapist ways. And people want to get worked up over something like this with Jindal ?

I think McCain should pick him for Veep. Who cares about the experience factor. There is a lot of crap that McCain and Jindal could use to beat the Obamarxist over the head with. And they could just refuse to respond to any charges about Jindal’s inexperience. Just ignore it. Lash back with something totally unrelated. Time for helter skelter.

JonRoss on June 11, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Our founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.

EJDolbow on June 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Again, please note how this can only be a legitimate issue if the subject of inquiry is a Republican…if you are a Democrat it is strictly off limits…which is the undertone of this entire post.

AUINSC on June 11, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Great article to learn about what Bobby Jindal is about.

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 11:29 PM

The difference should be obvious already to any true conservative.

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM

lsutiger on June 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM

My e-mail is coming at you.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Experience? Jindal has been in office about what, nine months, and he still has more executive experience than Obama.

Bishop on June 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM

This little episode will give pause to a lot of Americans.
On another note, Jindal on the ticket would undermine McCain’s whole angle that Obama doesn’t have the foreign policy credentials to be CnC. Jindal has less than Obama on that count.

okonkolo on June 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Change one letter from c to n and voila:

Demo(n)rats!

Looks like an omen.

profitsbeard on June 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Bobby don’t think that white people are devils. Back to you O!, Wright and Farakhan!

mred on June 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM

The account sends chills up my spine — mainly because a group of friends and I had a similar experience praying over a friend who was clearly afflicted with some force that can only be described as demonic.

I think the technical term for what the victim in each case was experiencing would be oppression, not possession.

RhymesWithRight on June 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM

I know that news article is trying to make light of Jindal’s faith and a number here may think it proposterous. But, this kind of stuff is in the Bible. I think more people would believe this kind of thing is possible than you’d think, even if they’ve never experienced it firsthand. I say that as a Baptist, not a Catholic. I have no problem with what I just read about Jindal’s experience.

CP on June 12, 2008 at 12:09 AM

maybe we can have Jindal perform an exorcism of the nutroots like the Kossacks.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Geez…he’d never had time for anything else if he did that.

Connie on June 12, 2008 at 12:10 AM

My e-mail is coming at you.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Umm…how?

lsutiger on June 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Geez…he’d never had time for anything else if he did that.

Connie on June 12, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Unless we can figure out a way to do it over the Internet en mass.

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Umm…how?

lsutiger on June 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM

[Queues Twilight Zone music]

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 12:16 AM

ACCU´SE,
2. To charge with a fault; to blame.
Webster, N. (2006).

Casting out demons? Baaad, Jindal. You’re a very baaad, baaad man!

Phrased exactly as you wished it to be. As you were, Allah.

Skidd on June 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM

its vintage duh on June 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM

The Catholics perform it as a rite of exorcism, and the term is rarely used in Protestant-land. But I can assure you we protestants cast out our fair share of demons.

TexasDan on June 12, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Jindal is in Louisiana, and involved in Louisiana politics: he’s in the heart of demon central!

So if he’s NOT an accomplished exorcist, he’s not likely to survive!

landlines on June 12, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Just as someone who has kind of poked into more out of the way places than most, and studied some unusual things I echo this bit from Shakespeare:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

LegendHasIt on June 12, 2008 at 12:47 AM

It’s a resumé enhancer.

/sarc

Kind of like being an adulterer is a resumé enhancer if you’re on the left.

RushBaby on June 12, 2008 at 12:50 AM

No they would not.

You mean Voodoo Central….

AprilOrit on June 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM

For all my exorcisms I prefer The Doctor Reverend Lady Bishop, she’s the real deal.

AprilOrit on June 12, 2008 at 1:04 AM

So what?

Demons are real.

Is it even possible to live in louisiana and not believe in demons?

Yes, catholics also practice exorcism but often catholic exorcism does not work.

The image you think of in catholic exorcisms of putting a cross against the person or putting holy water on the person does NOTHING.

Demons are obligated to flee from one thing and one thing alone…the name of Jesus Christ!

Any Holy Spirit filled Christian can bind and cast out demons with the name of Jesus Christ.

While demons cannot possess a born again Spirit filled Christian..they will tempt them. It is a normal occurance for the Christian to bind and cast out demons that are tempting them to sin.

As for louisiana,that state in particular probably has the highest amount of actual demon possessed people in the United States.

Will the democrats try to use this issue against Huckabee?

No. Because it wouldn’t damage him.

Mike Huckabee was a pastor for 20 years..he was casting out demons when Jindal was just a little boy.

This argument may work against Jindal..not because he believes in demons(the vast majority of the country does) but just because they are publicizing the fact that he is catholic.

SaintOlaf on June 12, 2008 at 1:10 AM

You talking about Jindal or Romney?

joncoltonis on June 12, 2008 at 1:19 AM

SaintOlaf on June 12, 2008 at 1:10 AM

I find that Scotch brand exorcism Duct Tape works best. How ’bout you, SaintOlaf, had any luck with 3M?

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Do they have K-Marts in NY?

Entelechy on June 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM

There are- but I bought mine a while back. I hear they’re all made in China or Myanmar Burma or some such now. :)

BillH on June 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Oh man. You actually have to have TAPE at an exorcism? I find myself strangely and inappropriately interested now. Please write details.

RushBaby on June 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Jindal is something else…Save this guy for 2016. He’s going to do great things for the GOP, conservatives and this country.

therightwinger on June 12, 2008 at 1:41 AM

SaintOlaf on June 12, 2008 at 1:10 AM

I stopped using the exorcism Duct Tape after I tried Raid’s new Demon-Traps™. Demons go in but they don’t come out!

They’re wonderful!

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 1:42 AM

RushBaby on June 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Try the traps. They’re not nearly as much fun but they save a lot of time and effort, and when they’re full you can just flush all of the demons back where they came from.

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 1:44 AM

“Possession” by “evil spirits” is the equivalent in contemporary speech of saying “sick with infection/s.”

It CONCEPTUALLY means the same thing, in application.

The point is, however, what occurs to remove those conditions and restore a person to a state of wellness. Ask the better doctors (they do still exist, though rarer today than ever before) and they’ll say that there’s more to recovering wellness than merely taking pills and sleeping it off. There’s a “supernatural” or “spiritual” realm to most sickness and for those who don’t understand or who may reject Christ’s direct explanations for what ails some people, think of the “possession” as having a fever or a “mental health” diagnosis in some extreme case, because, Christ has supernatural understanding and we can’t always keep up with what He perceives.

Just accept the fact that somethings do exist beyond our human understanding, and for them, Divine help is needed. God is the prescription for what ails them, in other words.

I do accept that demons exist. I just don’t think it’s worthwile to give them any more attention than they already receive, and, about them, God’s the one in charge, not the demons. Christ’s authority (as Christ) can and does command wellness where non existed prior to.

And the better medicine in our midst gives credence to a higher authority in both discovery and resolution to “illness.”

S on June 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM

The day I or any Sam Hill can make a universe or a trout where nothing but void existed, is the day I’ll reconsider that there are, indeed, capabilities by our Creator that lie way beyond our human understanding.

I accept Jindal’s story, is my point.

S on June 12, 2008 at 1:52 AM

I will not take bait.

P.S.

Lets save time and agree to disagree. :)

FloatingRock on June 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I love it when people use this line. (Finger and thumb, meet forehead.)

MirCat on June 12, 2008 at 1:57 AM