Bobby Jindal, exorcist?

posted at 10:06 pm on June 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

For your late-evening reading pleasure. TPM’s in full squeal over having dug up this very minor bit of oppo research, and while I’m certainly not the guy to scold them for scoffing at possession and faith healing, I do find it encouraging that (a) they’re already worried about him and (b) the best the left has been able to do thus far by way of attacking him is smearing/mocking his faith. The guy must be squeaky clean if they’re this desperate for material. Coming in 2012: Democrats versus Catholics!

Exit question anticipating the righteous stampede in the comments to defend Jindal: Would you be as quick to defend Huckabee if he was the one accused of casting out demons?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Big deal.

Jindal cast out one demon,albeit he didn’t know how to do it(putting a Bible on her forehead?)..

Mike Huckabee has cast out THOUSANDS of demons!

He is clearly the guy we need to send to washington.

SaintOlaf on June 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Asked and answered, but for my two cents:

No, because Huckabee is a sleazy RINO.

vonspringer on June 12, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Mike Huckabee has cast out THOUSANDS of demons!

SaintOlaf on June 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM

He must have switched to the Raid Demon-Traps™. They hold a lot of demons.

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 2:06 AM

My apologies, I just checked my traps to see if any of them are full and it turns out they’re actually called Demon-Motels™. Sorry for any confusion, but they’re actually traps so that’s what I’m in the habit of calling them. I catch a lot of demons where I live because I live right next door to a church and, as I think Hollowpoint pointed out earlier, demons seem to congregate exclusively in and around people who believe in such things.

FloatingRock on June 12, 2008 at 2:15 AM

If you read what Jindal wrote, he basically says he did not participate in the exorcism, he felt pressure on his chest, so he backed away. He basically just witnessed it. He says everyone else including the girls sister did the work.

Really stupid.

If he said he personally cast a demon from someone, I would be a little sketchy about him.

WoosterOh on June 12, 2008 at 2:18 AM

I should add that though he did not really do it, he believed it.

WoosterOh on June 12, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Limbaugh interview with Bobby Jindal (PDF): http://tinyurl.com/3yrudy

Excerpt, quoting Jindal:

You can’t win an election by being a weaker version of your opponent. You can’t try to have power just for the sake of holding on to power. The Republican Party can’t be in the business of defending corrupt elected officials, can’t be in the business of defending wasteful earmark spending. When we go back to our principled roots, when we go back to being the Party of Ronald Reagan, the Party of lower taxes, the Party of principled defense of life, the Party of a strong defense, voters will reward that. They’re looking for authenticity.

Rush, I can’t tell you how many voters told me, “Bobby, I may not agree with you on 100 percent of the issues, but I respect you for being honest with us, telling us where you stand.” Voters are tired of poll-tested messages. They want authenticity. When the Republican Party gets back to its principles, to its conservative roots, we’ll do quite well with the voters.

electric-rascal on June 12, 2008 at 2:29 AM

Makes me like him more. Casting out demons is pretty standard, mainstream Christianity, both Protestant and Catholic. Jesus cast many, many demons out and gave us the power to do so as well in His name. I say, more power to him!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 12, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Oh, and I’ll add that faith-healing/laying on of hands is also pretty mainstream in Evangelical circles. My favorite part of 700 Club is the healing prayer, esp. if Gordon Robertson is leading it. But even just simple praying for a miracle is about as basic Christianity as it gets. I don’t get the big deal about it. I’m surprised at some of the comments here…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 12, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Jindal and friends ought to go pay a visit to Dick Durbin.

S on June 12, 2008 at 3:48 AM

Aslans Girl on June 12, 2008 at 3:21 AM

don’t get the big deal about it. I’m surprised at some of the comments here…

Aslans Girl, its fashionable to mock anything christian these days. Treat it like water off a ducks @ss.

44Magnum on June 12, 2008 at 3:54 AM

vonspringer on June 12, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Wow. Your politics directly affect your religious perspective? I guess you can just substitute the wine for Kool-Aid every Sunday.

The Race Card on June 12, 2008 at 4:11 AM

As for louisiana,that state in particular probably has the highest amount of actual demon possessed people in the United States.

Yeah, lotsa people still don’t know this is a documentary.

soundingboard on June 12, 2008 at 4:35 AM

We need an exorcist on the ticket. How else to combat the anti-Christ?

otcconan on June 12, 2008 at 4:38 AM

Judging from some of the answers I’ve skimmed over, I see a lot of people putting a person’s politics before their religion.

..Fascinating.

Reaps on June 12, 2008 at 6:14 AM

McCain needs a voodoo witch doctor for VP not an exorcist. Think of the cash that could be made selling Dhimmi dolls and pins!

Annar on June 12, 2008 at 6:22 AM

There were and continue to be lots of signs that the left fundamentalist right hates Mitt Romney but you seem not to notice or care, Allah. My bet is that if he were on the ticket now you would be worried also.

peacenprosperity on June 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM

There, fixed it for ya.

Lehosh on June 12, 2008 at 7:24 AM

Casting out demons is no big deal! I think it was Martin Luther or John Wesley that wrote they came face to face with a demon in the middle of the night in their own home. Their response? “Oh, it’s just you, devil.”
I have zero problems with anyone who says they casts out devils,, for that matter, they can have conversations with cow fairies in their bathroom, as long as they are conservative on the issues. A conservative cow fairy believer who cast out devils in his sleep beats a Marxist moombat any day.

JellyToast on June 12, 2008 at 7:28 AM

It is rather bizarre that a spiritual guy would be involved with spirits (sarc)! They may as well get that one over with now. Unlike Obama and Romney, Jindal won’t apologize or run away from his religion. He would stand his ground with conviction. They better come up with more than that in a few years. Jindal will be our President in ’12.

orlandocajun on June 12, 2008 at 7:28 AM

The uproar is actually whether one believes in demons. Like anything else, demons would be available in all forms. All things considered, Hitler became a demon. If there’s a politician with enough guts to destroy demons like Ahmadinajad, hurrah! I’d bet that those who harbor ill will toward Jindal’s sense of his own experience are themselves the losers freeloading all of their spare time playing computer games killing generated demons. Out on a branch, these same morons deny that swamping their brains with visual stimulations of violence coupled and self induced illicit drug habits have any effect whatsoever on their ability to sense the difference between right and wrong.

I’ll give Jindal his experience. I certainly wasn’t there to say one way or the other what happened. Jindal’s character speaks well enough to let it be whatever it was to those who were there. That his friend is doing well now concludes the matter.

maverick muse on June 12, 2008 at 7:44 AM

So what,Obama can walk on water.

apoole on June 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Exactly. They have a candidate who says he can heal the sick and make the waters recede and they’re making fun of Jindal?

Dudley Smith on June 12, 2008 at 7:54 AM

Heheheee — the minute I read that, I knew the Maestro would have a multi-page comment thread on his hands. AP can play us like a bunch of angry fiddles!

Cuffy Meigs on June 12, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Let me see,, Jindal may have cast out a demon, which according to the Bible, any Christian has the authority to do. In other words, Jindal had the courage to face something evil and speak to it and tell it to leave.
What do a lot of libs do and believe?

1. Channel past president’s wives,

2 Believe mother ships are hiding behind the moon,

3 Global warming is real,

4 The earth is our mother and is trying to get our attention through melting ice caps,

5 Hug trees,

6 Rats should have as many rights as children,

7 Babies in the womb are not real babies,

8 Babies half out of the womb are not real babies and can have their brains sucked out,

9 Terrorists are our friends,

10 Our friends(like Israel) should be our enemies,

11 People elected to congress are smart,,

12 People who don’t have time to get elected to congress because they work in real jobs are dumb,,
the list goes on and on.

JellyToast on June 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM

I live in an area with a lot of Indians. Most are Hindu, some are Muslim. Haven’t met a Catholic or other Christian Indian yet, so I was initially surprised when I learned that Jindal was a Christian.

According to Wikipedia, Piyush “Bobby” Jindal (nicknamed “Bobby” after the Brady Bunch character ) converted from Hinduism to Catholicism while in HS.

To me, rather than embarrassing him, this story establishes his religious bona fides for the rest of the nation who may not know him yet and might view him as some kind of foreigner.

JiangxiDad on June 12, 2008 at 8:14 AM

I hope Jindal does NOT back down. I’m tired of politicians backing down on their beliefs.

stenwin77 on June 12, 2008 at 8:14 AM

If he can cast out demons, no wonder the MSM is afraid of him…there will be about three journalists left in the country.

right2bright on June 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Non-Christians just don’t get Christians. There is a spiritual world out there unseen by human eyes but more real than this temporal world.

As a Christian, I pray in tongues. I’ve also had two prophetic visions in my life that came true to the letter. This stuff is real folks.

Get saved!

Mojave Mark on June 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM

youtube of footage of the emily rose exorcism, over 2 million views….kinda creepy.

jp on June 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Thankfully I didn’t watch this until this morning. I hope I forget it by night time!

———————-
Even if some of you don’t believe in this, I don’t see how casting out demons can be any more worrisome than what we have now. And at least the man knows the difference between good & evil…..and knowing this, I might not be opposed if Jindal suggested that he be the one to go meet with Amandinajad.

Cheesestick on June 12, 2008 at 9:09 AM

JellyToast on June 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Connie on June 12, 2008 at 9:12 AM

This makes me like Bobby Jindal even more. Though, I personally think if he runs for VP, it won’t be until 2012 and the top job won’t happen until 2016. But considering the number of demons in DC…

adamsweb on June 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Now that is what I call a ‘Light Worker’..

(sorry if it’s been said)

DaveC on June 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Umm…how?

lsutiger on June 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I found out you are not CHAD at The Dead Pelican but I got all the information I needed from there, Thanks.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM

So what,Obama can walk on water.

apoole on June 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM

just means that BHO can’t swim..

DaveC on June 12, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Cheesestick on June 12, 2008 at 9:09 AM

good move, I searched last night for first time thanks to this thread and remembering that movie. alot of similar stuff on youtube from that, about as creepy as it gets. wish I hadn’t watched last night before bed myself.

jp on June 12, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Annnnd once again: whose side are you on? Because nobody else in HA’s lineup is as consistently quick to attack his own side as you seem to be, “AllahMaverick”.

Spanglemaker on June 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Biblical faith. That will kill him in the South. Oh wait. No it won’t.

ReaganEvangelical on June 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM

right2bright on June 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Beyond the press corp, the MSM fears lightening striking Obama. If Jindal can cast out devils, then we’re gonna have a show down proving the impotence of Baal-Obama. Obama ain’t got a leg to stand on, his own faith is not based upon the New Testament Jesus but amalgamates imposters Marx and Mohammed. Besides, Obama can neither apologize for his errors, nor accept apologies when he takes offense at facts being revealed ever so apologetically–a sign that he is not of Christ Jesus. That Obama is not attached to the Holy Spirit is also proven in his inability to deliver impromptu addresses. His deeds and words consistently prove he is the fraud. But even Jesus warned people to use their eyes to see and ears to hear because most don’t want to accept the plain truth, regardless of proof. So as ever, what people recognize depends on and proves their character.

BTW, off topic, did you see the Deseret News article about the FLDS henchmen? Yes, too late a warning for our governor’s mansion security to peak. What a bain that population is wherever they go. Ne’er forget whose delegate prompted the response.

maverick muse on June 12, 2008 at 10:16 AM

I firmly believe that in this day and age, there is no way to be a liberal democrat and a Christian at the same time

ConservativePartyNow on June 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Jindal and friends ought to go pay a visit to Dick Durbin.

S on June 12, 2008 at 3:48 AM

Ha Ha! If only it were that easy!

Bobby is this centuries Fred! :D

ihasurnominashun on June 12, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Mojave Mark on June 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Good for you, whatever works to connect with the Spirit of Truth. The closest to praying in tongues for me was walking miles to and from school each day praying aloud sotto voce auf Deutsch so others wouldn’t readily “hear” me and so as to do what I could to follow the language experience of others at school who’d lived abroad. God was patient as I searched for words with my limited vocabulary. But my exercise in prayer was good for me, as yours has been for you.

If the DNC motto is Audacity to Hope then there is no legitimate rebuttle to Jindal’s experience that proved to bring a change that his friend could believe in.

maverick muse on June 12, 2008 at 10:24 AM

AP, Schmuckabee is more politician than Christian these days…

Spanglemaker on June 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM

It’s not “his own side.” He wants to move conservatives away from issues of faith to pure materialistic “conservatism”, ignoring (or denying) that there are things beyond human comprehension. I acknowledge that it can be seductive, but ultimately it’s self-defeating–like the Soviets collapsing under the weight of their own immorality. He’s probably as embarrased of the “religious right” as the American Left is.

urbancenturion on June 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM

ConservativePartyNow on June 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Or any religious person.

However, there are the Pflegers of the world, and many lefty priests in S. America and elsewhere who wreak havoc. And don’t forget that enabler, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the son of the head of his church.

There are also the Jimmy Carter type Christians who see in socialism a kind of purity and equality that matches their Kumbaya vision of Christianity. These are the naive types, like Cindy Sheehan.

So I’d say any right-thinking religious person can’t be today’s liberal.

JiangxiDad on June 12, 2008 at 10:48 AM

“Possession” by “evil spirits” is the equivalent in contemporary speech of saying “sick with infection/s.”

Just out of curiosity, what ancient expression is an equivalent of the modern “neurosurgery”?

freevillage on June 12, 2008 at 10:48 AM

maverick muse on June 12, 2008 at 10:16 AM

I have no idea what his faith drives him to do. I will let God sort out his faith, I will judge his actions.

Moses had a speech impediment. Good thing there were no blogs or radio.

right2bright on June 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Why?, AP, WHY?

OldEnglish on June 12, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Jindal is Catholic, and the Catholic Church does believe that people can be either obsessed or possessed by demons.
The Church makes a distinction between demon “possession”, where the demon takes control of the person’s will, and “obsession”, where the person is harmed and influenced by the demon, but still struggles against its influence. From the original article, it seems like “Susan” was not possessed, but may have been struggling against a demonic influence.

Exorcisms of those possessed by demons should only be performed by priests specially trained for that purpose appointed by a bishop, supported by others in prayer and available for physical restraint of the victim if needed.

Lay people (non-ordained as priests or deacons) are normally not authorized to perform exorcisms, but ARE allowed to pray for the sick, including laying on of hands, which is perfectly legitimate in this case if “Susan” had cancer. Some non-ordained people within the Church do have “gifts of healing” through prayer, although the Church is always wary of charlatans who pretend to have such gifts for self-promotion. Those with “gifts of healing” often ask for others to join them in prayer for spiritual support during “charismatic prayer”, where people pray for the action of the Holy Spirit. This practice was well-recognized and endorsed by the Catholic Church, including by Pope John Paul II.

If Jindal (who is not a priest) participated in a prayer group for a cancer sufferer, and he or other members of the group sensed a demonic presence from which “Susan” may have been liberated, this is not necessarily an “exorcism” per se in the Catholic definition of the word, unless an authority of the Catholic Church can ascertain that “Susan” was possessed prior to these prayers. A reporter claiming that Jindal participated in an “exorcism” is basically demonstrating ignorance of the Catholic faith.

Jindal participated in a group prayer for a cancer sufferer, which did result in a cure in this case. We shouldn’t “blame” Jindal for this, but give credit to God.
Jindal believes that God, through prayer, will sometimes heal the sick. So do a billion other people.

Steve Z on June 12, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Obombem walking on water would leave a sheen so his followers can find him.

MSGTAS on June 12, 2008 at 11:18 AM

As to the exit question…let’s pose it a little differently.

Which politicians church will the media approve of more (or ignore less): the one that wants to cast out demons or the one that wants to cast out whitey?

MMW on June 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Allahpundit

Accused is a loaded word that means charged with a crime. For example you wouldn’t say:

The man was accused of saving the child’s life.

Clearly that is not the correct usage of the word.

accused: somebody charged with crime: somebody being charged with wrongdoing in a criminal case

Much more appropriate to simply say he was said to have cast out a demon.

And casting out demons happens all the time in the Christian church, but usually the news media doesn’t find it news worthy.

Maxx on June 12, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Jindal narrated a… story of a personal encounter with a demon, in which he participated in an exorcism with a group of college friends. And not only did they cast out the supernatural spirit that had possessed his friend, Jindal wrote that he believes that their ritual may well have cured her cancer.

Dude, that sounds pretty darned awesome to me! Wish I’d thought of that instead of the crap I did when I was back in college.

Quick question for all you idiots who are complaining about this: Why don’t you tell us the wildest thing you ever did, and we’ll compare notes?

logis on June 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Excerpt, quoting Jindal:

electric-rascal on June 12, 2008 at 2:29 AM

Quick question, how come liberals believe that I’m a wicked person because I “want to destroy the world” simply because I happen to believe their Global Warming religion is utterly moronic, but these same liberals think they’re wonderful human beings because they all rabidly SUPPORT possession by demons?

How did we come to live in a world where maniacs like that actually have political power?

logis on June 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Demons = new brand of fishing lure or something? What am I missing?

Desperate measures of the desperate demon-crats if this is the best they can do….

Biffstir on June 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

No, but not because of the exorcism, just because I don’t like him. I’d defend the exorcism, just not him.

Esthier on June 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Near as I can tell, Jindal doesn’t wear his faith on his sleeve like Huckabee.

The Ugly American on June 12, 2008 at 4:10 PM

ConservativePartyNow on June 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Don’t all politicians take the Hypocritic oath?

Annar on June 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM

He should cast out that demon Huckabee.

O great, a dude who believes in creatonism and casts out demons. scary stuff man..not ready for prime time. In New Orleans anything goes.

There hasnt been anything positive to come out of New Orleans since Andy Jackson killed a bunch of brits there and saved the country…later to become one of the greatest presidents of all time.

Roger Waters on July 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM

why cant you guys catch obama in those demon traps?

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on November 22, 2008 at 3:24 PM