Video: The one trick the new iPhone can’t do

posted at 6:02 pm on June 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

Well, not yet, anyway; they’re probably working on an app as we speak. Join me, my friends, in watching these three clips, swallowing hard, and thinking back to every scraplet of news you’ve ever read about cell phones possibly causing brain tumors. Any one of these in isolation I would have dismissed as a hoax. But three, from what appear to be three different cultures? I can only conclude that … it’s still a hoax. Exit question: How are they doing it? Click the image to watch.

phone-popcorn002.jpg

Comments

I’m thinking heating pan or lighter under the table. Time for independent testing.

StoutRepublican on June 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Magnatron mounted under the table.

balderdash on June 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Conclusion (from Snopes): If the microwave radiation emitted by the mobiles is capable to modify the proteins in the egg, imagine what it can do with the proteins in our brains when we talk through the mobiles.

Even though Snopes declares it False, and I believe them, by the observation of many people talking on the phone, in airplanes and airports alone, the conclusion is definitely flawed.

Entelechy on June 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I KNOW it’s fake, but I’m still going to try it later tonight anyway. Now to convince them to do it…..

malan89 on June 9, 2008 at 6:14 PM

LOL!

malan89 on June 9, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Obviously heated under the table.

Nessuno on June 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM

It’s those secret Chinese assassin micro processor chips!
Da rat ********!

Limerick on June 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Has to be some kind of Benihana table or something, but you wouldn’t think people would be willing to put their phones on it.

Love how the phones have vibrated away from the popcorn before it pops, in the second video. Oops.

Tanya on June 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM

that’s why I’m glad I got the iPod touch instead of the iPhone (and actually that’s what I posted this with!)
-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on June 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Yeah guys, aim the phone carefully. Those microwaves are just SO unidirectional.

I’m glad I don’t have to bow towards a cell tower to make the @!#$%^& work right.

innominatus on June 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM

cr0n!

RushBaby on June 9, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Just one more reason I don’t own a cell phone.

Maxx on June 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM

My microwave on full power takes about a minute before the first kernel pops. This doesn’t pass the smell test.

ManlyDad on June 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM

ManlyDad on June 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Exactly so. A home microwave oven will produce 700 watts at minimum and still take considerable time before being able to pop anything. Cell phones broadcast less than a watt.

vonspringer on June 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM

ManlyDad on June 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Yep, but that’s a full bag. These are just a few kernels. Different frequency from microwave. Yet, if a phone puts out about a half watt and that’s the claim, it’s real hard to believe only 2 watts could do that, especially that fast. But I don’t know, looked pretty real to me.

I’m sure some of our HotAir scientist will report back with the results of their experiments.

Maxx on June 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM

The American one sounds like some bad actors setting up a gag.

jdpaz on June 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM

microwave wave guide mounted under table and focused at center. Let’s see someone do it on an uncovered table. Preferably glass.

Guardian on June 9, 2008 at 6:45 PM

All cellphones operate at microwave sized wavelength (10^-2 m). So its just a matter of using the superposition principle. Superposition is where peaks and troughs of waves add together to get a different wave sizes. Peaks and troughs added together yield bigger ones, while a peak and trough gets you smaller or no waves (called a node).

If the microwaves add up at the right spots, they will grow so large that they will affect other things around them. In this case, the the water molecule in the corn kernel resonates at the same frequencies the cell phones emit. They must, since the videos provide ample evidence. This would be a fun experiment to play in school. I will bring this up with one of my professors to validate it.

Sorry to add, but the water molecules in your body will react the same way as the corn kernels. Thankfully, our skin and amount of water/tissue/mass will keep us from becoming popcorn.

My verdict: Quite Possible.

Weebork on June 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM

here is how to pop corn with your celly. place popcorn and cell phone in your microwave, set for 45 minutes on high.

custer on June 9, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Make popcorn with one iPhone.

cellcorn debunked.

jdpaz on June 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Maybe this explains why Bin Laden has been missing so long.

Limerick on June 9, 2008 at 7:08 PM

why do people think this is such high tech treachery?

couldn’t it be as simple as someone using a blow drier and editing the sound out?

kaltes on June 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM

The last one is a fake. Looks like someone is dropping popcorn on the table while they filmed it then they digitally erased the kernels and dubbed popping sounds.

This is what I noticed:

1) The popcorn doesn’t fall at tempo as they burst. The 2nd seems late.

2) All the popcorn falls away from the camera man, pretty much clustered by the OJ pitcher. They should have gone in random directions. As it is, to me it looks like someone is dropping them from above the cameraman’s head.

3) If you look closely at the last pair of kernels, the back one pops. But if try too look at it popping frame by frame, when the back kernel bursts, the popcorn is in front of the unpopped kernel just as it shoots up.

SPCOlympics on June 9, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Mythbusters!

lsutiger on June 9, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I think they used a flux capacitor. Yes, that’s it. The cellphones vibrated at 88herz per milisecond and…viola! Popcorn.

robblefarian on June 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Tonight we just had a pot roast with carrots and new potatoes. It only took about 15 minute to cook using 1 Blackberry and 2 nokias. Sumptuous!

My wife is heating up the hottub with her cellphone as I type this.

TheSitRep on June 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I think it may be freshly out of the microwave, about to pop. Watch the American dude in the last video. Note how he acts as if the kernels are hot. He tosses them down and then wipes his hands on his pants – a natural reaction after handling something hot….

TheBigOldDog on June 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Check it out… is that a bowl of popcorn on the table? Looks like it. I bet those kernels were red hot Quakers and the 4 watts was enough to finish the job…

TheBigOldDog on June 9, 2008 at 8:32 PM

My verdict: Quite Possible.

Weebork on June 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Wrong.

1. Microwave ovens actually are a cavity resonator operating at hundreds of times the power of this entire setup and it still takes minutes to pop the kernels. EM waves cannot resonate in free space as in this cell setup, only in a conducting cavity.

2. In free space, at most the peaks will add, multiplying the (tiny) power of one phone by 4, but that’s only if the frequencies are exactly the same and in phase. Neither is true – phones explicitly detect and avoid the frequencies of nearby phones to prevent interference.

3. Water molecules do not resonate at cellular or microwave frequencies. If they did, microwaves would be strongly absorbed by the surface layers of moisture and would not penetrate at all into the interior of food. The lowest resonant frequency of water is in the 22GHz range, more than 10 times the standard cellular phone frequency bands.

Verdict: As plausible as Elvis crashing a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster.

vonspringer on June 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM

This is your brain….
this is your brain using an electronic tip calculator that does other things like phone calls.

I had a wrist watch when I was eight. I lost it before I was nine. It was the last piece of complex technology I ever carried about with me.

BL@KBIRD on June 9, 2008 at 8:51 PM

We members of the Elvis Crashed His UFO into the Loch Ness Monster For Truth committee take offense to the previous post of vonspringer.

DrW on June 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM

It’s so damn good (simple, creative, execution, effective) that in order to help a friend through, I said, “[friend], it’s a hoax video. Think about it, in order to go with -not-a-hoax- you have to believe that every single engineer/scientist who has studied this has come up short — all of them.”

He countered, “Well, perhaps they only studied one, two, or three at a time, and simply never pointed four of them at each other, in just that particular configuration.”

I said, “I take that back, this is not a hoax video. This is a piece of art.”

deesine on June 9, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Mythbusters! – lsutiger

Damn, ya beat me to it! :-)

Tony737 on June 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Call me when the phone dispenses hot melted butter as well.

TexasDan on June 9, 2008 at 10:45 PM

don’t confuse me with the facts.
I want to believe!

Boot Hill on June 9, 2008 at 11:53 PM

It only works with phones supporting email POP3 accounts.

Shy Guy on June 10, 2008 at 12:02 AM

So a pocketful of kernels, plus three phoney friends going to the movies with you, and you can all avoid the $7.95 for a tub of popcorn?

(Just remember to put them on vibrate! The phones, not your friends.)

Most likely: clever editing.

profitsbeard on June 10, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Weebork on June 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM

…just what I was thinkin…

But then again…

91Veteran on June 10, 2008 at 2:06 AM

Wrong.

Verdict: As plausible as Elvis crashing a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster.

vonspringer on June 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM

..why I said, “But then again” above.

As for popcorn popping, it pops because the moisture in the corn is heated to boiling, then explodes popping the corn.

91Veteran on June 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM

My guess is that they heat them up until they are just about ready to pop before putting them on the table so that all it takes is the power of a 1 watt cell phone transmitter to hit the threshold to turn the .13 grams of water inside the kernel to turn to steam and make it pop.

Dollayo on June 10, 2008 at 3:23 AM

91Veteran, experience with microwave popcorn and interrupted cooking cycles indicates that is not the answer. It would cool too much for the cell phones to couple enough energy into the popcorn to pop it. They have another heat source involved that is out of the picture.

Also note that cell phone antennas, in my experience, tend to be mounted along the long side of the cell phone. That would have the ends of the antennas aimed at the popcorn kernel. As it happens the ends of monopole antennas are radiation nulls. That means VERY little energy from the phones is reaching the kernel.

{^_^}

herself on June 10, 2008 at 5:09 AM

Verdict: As plausible as Elvis crashing a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster.

vonspringer on June 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Alright, now you’re just sending mixed signals.

Guys, the links Allah provided are fairly conclusive.

Esthier on June 10, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Guys,

My boys and I tried it last night with 4 phones and it didn’t work.

Myth Busted!

1GooDDaDDy on June 10, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I-Phone can’t do it, and neither can four battery-powered cell phones.

Even if you could somehow set up a perfectly synchronized and stable standing wave, the power simply isn’t there…and it would be at the wrong frequency for cooking popcorn even if it were there.

I call “BS”!!

landlines on June 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Same camera work (and silent cameraman), same quality, same sound . . . Some company is up to something.

- The Cat

P.S. The way cell phones do their thing, the direction you point them won’t matter.

P.P.S. If it were that strong the camera would have gone on wonkie.

MirCat on June 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM