Quote of the day

posted at 10:42 pm on June 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

“I’m not saying it’s the be-all/end-all of ideological tests, but you can tell a lot about a person by their reaction to this ad.”

Comments

When I was a kid I had a Crossman 760, now that was a Bee Bee gun, you could actually drop a squirrel in 1 shot.

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 10:52 PM

HAHAHAAH

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:53 PM

I got all warm inside, and I think I felt a tingle run up my leg…
Side note: In order to do my part to validate B. Obama’s view of me, I just bought a Smith&Wesson M&P 40 with the 15 round magazines. The wife and I are going shooting on Saturday, and on Sunday we’re going to church, clinging to our Bibles the whole time. We’re just not bitter, though. Sorry BHO.

common sensineer on June 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM

That was then, to understate the case. Nowadays we’ve done away with these dangerous violent antisocial pseudo-guns, and replaced them with merry-makers like Nerf guns and Supersoakers and other items whose makers encourage you to point them at your friends.

Gotta love Lileks.

misterpeasea on June 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM

I just got my son his first BB gun. Hooo weee, was he excited.

My dad would bring his 20 ga. to school and go hunting after class. Many of his classmates did too, enough that they had a long rifle rest in the main office to store the guns during the day. Times have changed.

Bishop on June 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Looks like a young Ronald Reagan. How wonderfully appropriate. :-)

cannonball on June 5, 2008 at 11:05 PM

My reaction? ‘God Bless America’ and ‘where have those days gone, since I was a kid 30 years ago?’

bikermailman on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Lileks rules.

Lee on June 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Yeah? Well, I just bought an EOTech Holographic red dot sight with a 65 MOA ring/1 MOA dot reticle for my Bushmaster AR-15 and it’s freakin’ awesome. I can plink a japanese beetle off my rose bush from twenty yards without flicking a leaf. Can’t wait for the “revolution” so I can justify spending that kind o’ money on just a toy. So there…ha!

Big John on June 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Well, admittedly, part of the reason they no longer have fake guns that look like real guns is because of the number of teenage gangbangers that have real guns that shoot at cops :/

apollyonbob on June 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Pop was a state trooper. Carried a 6″ Smith&Wesson. Mom was in the sheriff’s department. She used the 2″ S&W airweight (Yes…police women actually carried their weapons in their purses at one time).

Me….pop handed me a 22LR. He kept the firing pin. It was quite a thrill the first time we went plunking. There wasn’t a tin can left alive within three miles.

Limerick on June 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I enjoyed the heck out of that, AP. I used to practice for hours with my brother’s Daisy. I was pretty good, too. (Much better than the principal’s daughter who managed to shoot me in the stomach with it). I was also pretty good with a bow and arrow.

I used to get a kick out of my youngest daughter whose favorite aisle at the toy store was the gun aisle. Nowadays, the store clerk would probably call child protective services at the sight of a 4 year old girl left by her lonesome in that aisle. (Or do they even have those aisles anymore?)

Connie on June 5, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Great stuff, and true as the day is long. I’m surprised there aren’t more Lileks links here. AP and Lileks seem to look at the world with a similar hyper-aware-of-nuances eye. Maybe it’s a case of like charges repelling, or anyway competing.

The minds-eye vision of a Daily Kos’er shuddering in horror at that essence-of-America picture is somehow delicious.

Splunge on June 5, 2008 at 11:21 PM

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I had one too! They had a similar model 10 years ago, and I bought one for my sons. Great toy gun. My neighbors complained, and a copy actually came to my house and tried to explain to me how a toy gun is a real gun, and no firing of guns within city limits. Doesn’t “firing” require “fire”?

stonemeister on June 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM

LOL. That first old add in that link. http://lileks.com/institute/archives/34/2.html
“Be the first on your block to own a Krak-a-Jap commando machine gun”.

Where can I get one of those nowadays?

Vigilante on June 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Asher on June 5, 2008 at 10:52 PM

That essence-of-America picture is the story of my childhood. I consider myself blessed.

Connie on June 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM

I liked the bag o’ food story. Does that say something about me?

HawaiiLwyr on June 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Vigilante on June 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM

For $1.00 and $ .20 shipping & handling, no less.

Connie on June 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Reactions to the ad? Why, reasonable people can have only one:

White boy? Racist.
Boy? Sexist.
Shirt and cardigan? Member of complacent bourgeoisie.
Gun? Violent nut.
“Right to opportunity?” Will the racism never end?
Smiling? Deluded, brainwashed victim of Amerikkkan capitalist swine.

(/miserable fever-eyed liberal)

inviolet on June 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM

When I was a kid.
dmann on June 5,2008 at 10:52PM.

dmann: When I was a kid as well,I had a Daisey 500 round
capacity bb gun,my uncle,who was about four years
older had a single shot pellet gun!

We were at camp,and the adults decided to visit
friends on the other side of the lake!

My uncle thought it was funny to shoot at me,being
kids and all,however he quickly found out the 500
round superiority I had was no match,yup those were
the days! Haha. :)

canopfor on June 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM

My brother shot me in the foot with his BB gun when I was a teenager. Said he was aiming in front of my foot and missed.

Uh-huh.

Held that one over him for years, though. Blackmail is a wonderful thing when you have two teenaged brothers.

Meryl Yourish on June 6, 2008 at 12:12 AM

LMSO … Lileks, that was a classic

ORrighty on June 6, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I’m glad this guy didn’t have a gun.

SouthernGent on June 6, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Well,I’ve got another website on my favourites,
now only if they had a bike section in the 73′
Sears catalogue,I would see my Sears,Spyder 1
in all its glory! Nice site,it brings back the
memories!

canopfor on June 6, 2008 at 12:21 AM

canopfor on June 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Sometimes there is no substitute for “spray an pray” if you can keep the sniper lookin at the ground the day is yours! Those were the days; Boys Life, Mad, National Geographic….good stuff!

dmann on June 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Put a three inch bolt in a potato, put the potato in a potato cannon. You will drop any commie at your door.

Of course its handy to have two potato cannons and a brace of tomahawks to clear the hall.

BL@KBIRD on June 6, 2008 at 12:24 AM

I’m glad this guy didn’t have a gun.
SouthernGent on June 6,2008 at 12:19AM.

SouthernGent: Or a grenade for that matter!

And speaking of grenade,its the
anniversary of D-Day,JUNE 6TH 1944!

canopfor on June 6, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Hey SouthernGent … thanks for the link, that was some video. What got into that guy? Glad I work out the home.

ORrighty on June 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM

That is … out of my home.

ORrighty on June 6, 2008 at 12:36 AM

I wanted a BB gun like my friend had, but my dad said they were too dangerous a toy for a kid. He got me a .22 rifle instead, saying I wouldn’t think that was a toy. I took me years to appreciate the wisdom.

Bob

wb0fvk on June 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM

And speaking of grenade,its the
anniversary of D-Day,JUNE 6TH 1944!

canopfor on June 6, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Nice segway…..how soon the Europukes like Galloway forget!

dmann on June 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Nice segway….
dmann on June 6,2008 at 12:51AM.

dmann: And Europukes like Galloway will soon
learn Sufferget City,a la Bowie! haha :)

canopfor on June 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Lileks… awesome.

silverfox on June 6, 2008 at 1:13 AM

The word “clinging” comes to mind.

(While I picture Barack more with a Hello Kitty M-16.)

profitsbeard on June 6, 2008 at 2:10 AM

A Beta Male movement moment?

Kini on June 6, 2008 at 3:31 AM

I took the family shooting about the time my daughter was 12 or so. The boys loved it but she was indignant about about and refused to participate. I told her she didn’t have a choice but that after we were done, she wouldn’t have to shoot them ever again if she still felt the same way. All my kids had to shoot every gun I owned just to understand the destructive power of weapons. Since I would always have guns in the house whether she liked it or not, she would be thoroughly familiar with them in the event she ever had to make a gun safe if she were ever in a situation where she needed to do so.

She really put up a fight, but eventually she had to fire the weapon. I started her on my AR because it had less recoil vs destructive power. Within 5 minutes she was demanding more magazines and was tearing up the range shooting that bad boy from the hip!! She is 23 this year and is a total gun nut.

How a person reacts to that story says lots about them also. I created another conservative for this country and denied it a liberal. Choke on it you liberal nut jobs!!!

Muuuuahahahahahahaha!

csdeven on June 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM

My boy got his Red Rider’s at 10 and the .22 at 12. He’s a crack shot with my AR and can feild strip it to Marine Corps regs.

Alden Pyle on June 6, 2008 at 8:41 AM

When I was 10 or 11 Santa (Dad) got me my first BB gun, a Daisy 880. I had so much fun with that thing it was easily one of the top 5 “toys” of my childhood. I even modified by ginding away a couple areas on the inside so that it would hold more BBs. That BB gun taught me a lot about responsibility and gun safety. I no longer have it but I’ve been thinking of buying another. The only problem is that now they’re all made out of plastic. My old 880 had cast aluminum parts instead of cheap plastic.

Afterimage on June 6, 2008 at 9:05 AM

I’ve still got my old Daisy BB gun that I had as a kid.

A couple of years ago, two city pigeons decided to roost on my suburban chimney…what a mess! No problem, I got out the old Daisy (amazed that I was still able to find it and a supply of BB’s), took aim….two shots…two birds gone…no collateral damage!

And I hadn’t shot the gun in 40 years!!! Guess those hundreds of hours in the back yard plinking cans really took.

landlines on June 6, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I too had a Crossman 760 when I was a kid. Did quite a bit of plinking with it, killed a few birds, and one squirrel with a shot to the ear. What fun. Have to admit I accidentally shot one of my friends in the forehead at point-blank range. Last time I ever pointed a gun of any type at a person.

Yes, today is the 64th anniversary of D-Day. Many thanks to all those men who fought in that campaign.

Snidely Whiplash on June 6, 2008 at 12:24 PM

common sensineer on June 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM

:-)

Red Pill on June 6, 2008 at 3:18 PM

AP, thanks for the red meat. Good stuff.

Red Pill on June 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM

bikermailman on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

The “Progressive” Socialists made a lot of “progress” in the 20th century.

It’s time to swing that pendulum back in our direction.

Red Pill on June 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM