McCain: I’m surprised Obama’s not blowing me out

posted at 9:55 pm on June 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Just give him time. Heh. No, this is actually just a shrewd bit of expectations management, reminding the GOP faithful not to panic when Obama bounces out to an eight- or ten-point lead. We’re still well within striking distance. Had we nominated anyone else, we wouldn’t have been.

It’s also a reminder, of course, that not all of Maverick’s problems are Maverick’s problems. If you know what I mean, and I think you do. Exit quotation: “I have every confidence that if Senator Obama goes to Iraq, meets with General Petraeus, and the sergeant majors and the captains and the colonels and the corporals, that he will know that this strategy is succeeding and he would modify, would change his position, and support what’s being done over there, and bring us home, but bring us home with honor and victory, not defeat.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lies. Malicious lies.

VolMagic on June 5, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I’ll adopt AP’s chronic pessimism and just say it…we’re screwed. Obama’s gonna win.

flipflop on June 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Within striking distance means the epic defeat is still possible. Nay; probable.

lorien1973 on June 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM

flipflop on June 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I don’t say that, by the way, as a McCain basher. I’ll vote for him, I’m donating to his campaign, but it’ll all be for naught.

flipflop on June 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Lots can happen by November, yall.

surrounded on June 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM

flipflop on June 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM

You’re like the gambler who knows he’s gonna lose all his money but plays anyways!

lorien1973 on June 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM

OT (but not really):

My husband, an SF geek, decided to have a little fun at Obama’s expense.

Enjoy!

linlithgow on June 5, 2008 at 10:04 PM

McCain sux so bad that Obama is a shoe-in.

The only thing that can save McStain is wild eyed Cankles supporters.

TheSitRep on June 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM

McCain: I’m surprised Obama’s not blowing me out

There, fixed the headline.

Lehuster on June 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM

McCain: I’m surprised Obama’s not blowing me out

FIFY. =)

linlithgow on June 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM

HAHA, simultaneous!

linlithgow on June 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM

linlithgow and lehuster win the thread, a la Fark.com

Dr. Manhattan on June 5, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Had we nominated anyone else, we wouldn’t have been.

Huh? What about Romney?

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Huh? What about Romney?

Nope. Romney was too stiff. And people want something different from Bush. Can you tell me where Romney differed from Bush on policy?

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Huh? What about Romney?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA wed be about 25 points behind by now.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:15 PM

No. I don’t see how any of the R candidates differed from Bush on policy. I don’t remember when we these issues were being discussed at the time anyone saying that only John McCain could win.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA wed be about 25 points behind by now.

How are you so sure? The Mormon thing?

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM

He’s right. We didn’t get to know him yesterday. Nuff said.

thatcher on June 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM

How are you so sure? The Mormon thing?

Romney was like a robot. I really feel the only way we would even have a fighting chance this time around would be with someone with a good narrative and real experience.

It has nothing to do with his faith, this is mostly used as a cop out by his supporters trying to rationalize his shortcomings.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Independents and Reagan Democrats – that’s the McCain base. Hope they come out.

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Had we nominated anyone else, we wouldn’t have been

Absolutely. In the current environment, only McCain has the credibility to show that he’s not a “typical” Republican.

The Republican brand is deeply tarnished. Only someone with a track record of independence – for good or bad – has a chance.

As Morris pointed out: the American people want to elect a Democrat but they’re not sure it’s Obama; the American people do want to elect McCain but they don’t want to elect a Republican.

How they work those scenarios out will determine who wins.

McCain wins by a little or Obama wins by a landslide.

My hunch right now: Obama by a romp.

But a long way to go.

SteveMG on June 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I know this sounds superficial but one of the reasons Romney would have been a poor choice is because the media absolutely hated him. McCain doesn’t have the media backlash for some reason. I know it sounds silly. But after the continual media bashing of Bush and Republicans we needed someone who didn’t have that hostility.

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Isn’t obama crushing mccain among independents?

lorien1973 on June 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM

All the MDSers will be sitting around crying in their beer while those of us in the military get a nice juicy pay cut and start loosing all of the weapons we need to fight the war.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM

If Cankles ran as an independant, she’d win.

TheSitRep on June 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM

and bring us home, but bring us home with honor and victory, not defeat.”

What the hell does that mean? Seriously. In practical terms? In years? Can’t we just say, “WE WON!!!” and leave? Is there some kind of panel of judges like on “American idol” and if they say “You lost”, then our troops are dishonored?

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

lorien1973 on June 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM

McCain is actually crushing Obama among independents. See Eds CBS Poll post.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I can think of ways McCain can win, but honestly I still can not see myself voting for him and being happy about it, much less telling anyone I am going to. It will be the first time I actually will be undecided until right after I show my ID at the polls. McCain should just chill out, remain calm and see what happens. That’s what I’m doing.

kahall on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

If Cankles ran as an independent, she’d win.

TheSitRep on June 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM

You are probably right but shhh…. don’t give her any ideas.

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Romney was like a robot.

In that case why didn’t he get Allapundit’s endorsement? /jk

Seriously though would Romney’s Ken Doll plasticity really be enough to sink him 25 points behind Obama? He was quite good, I liked him. His ad about “jihadism” (we can never have enough isms) approached the truth of the Islam threat.

I mean in a parallel universe somewhere perhaps Romney won the nomination and cornered the gap and everyone said “Only Romney could win this thing.”

My point is that its only after McCain won the nomination to general revulsion (of agenda conservatives) and campaigned for a while that its been decided that only he could have ever stood a chance against the Dems.

If this is so obvious then how come no one thought of it way back when?

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

SteveMG on June 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Very well worded.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:32 PM

“I have every confidence that if Senator Obama goes to Iraq, meets with General Petraeus…he will…bring us home, but bring us home with honor and victory, not defeat.”

That’s the whole f*ckin’ problem, Johnny Boy…on 01/21/09, with the MSM in tow, all a “Pres. Obamboozler” would have to do is to say “bring ‘em home, we won!” and everyone will eat it up and give the Manchurian Marxist all the credit.

McCain needs a whole new bunch of handlers….

Lockstein13 on June 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM

I don’t think that sounds superficial, its a very pertinent factor.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM

McCain: I’m surprised Obama’s not blowing me out

Well Juan, Intrade has the betting odds at Obama 61.3 and you at 35.2. That’s not exactly neck-and-neck, so don’t be too surprised. Maybe if you stick conservatives in the eye a few more times you can get your surprise.

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM

If this is so obvious then how come no one thought of it way back when?

We did! Alot of us were saying it back then…

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Intrade was 80% for Romney in FL the night before

They were 67% for him in Cali the night before.

McCain won FL by 6% and Cali by 14%

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Almost all my co-workers are libs, but i had a chance to talk to a man today whose son has just gotten back from Iraq, goes back in December…his son and all his friends want McCain, and are concerned about the obamania…they don’t wanna leave the Iraqi people until its safe for their country for our troops to pull out.

surrounded on June 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I don’t like him, but he’s got my support.

McCain ’08
He sucks less.

sulla on June 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM

We did! Alot of us were saying it back then…

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Fair enough. Maybe I just wasn’t following the threads closely enough.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM

So…hopefully the demographic he is targeting will turn out enough to offset the demographic he slights.

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM

McCain needs a whole new bunch of handlers brain….

Lockstein13 on June 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Didn’t McCain play the Scarecrow in “The Wizard of Oz”?

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM

I see way too many pessimistic people responding. As for myself, my newest interpersonal hobby is urging black Americans to vote for McCain. I’m not dumb enough to believe that I’ll change anyone’s vote, but I have some mild hope of dampening enthusiasm. My main argument is that the Democrats are going to have large majorities in the House and Senate and it’s too dangerous to have a Democratic president. It’s argument that even many of the Democrat’s core constituencies seem to think is a good argument. I also point out that despite the media blackout, General Petraeus has been quite successful in Iraq and that’s a really good thing. I introduce this point, by saying “you may not have been keeping up with the Iraqi news, but it’s looking for the Iraqis and the United States.” (I strategically avoid attacking the liberal media in this context.)

I’d urge every HotAir to follow my example–just try to avoid saying things the kinds of right-wing things that will piss people off. Most importantly, don’t attack welfare like the stupid House Republicans want to do. This just isn’t the season to bring up welfare reform. Finally, if you do this, be sure to listen to what they say. People like people who listen to them.

thuja on June 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Indeed, I think he needs to walk a line that the TC’s dont like. Bush was able to do it because of his faith. Reagan was able to do it because he was Reagan.

It is the old “wink and nod” to the conservatives as he goes after the middle.

It is similar to the gesture Obama is making to the nutroots as he charges to the center.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM

McCain ‘08
He sucks less.

sulla on June 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM

McCain is your hombre
If you only feel like a few
scoops of $hit in your milkshake

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

It’s shocking to me how many people still don’t see what’s happening.

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

thuja on June 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Ok, good point, thanks!

surrounded on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Sounds like McCain’s goal is to convince future President Obama not to surrender too quickly in Iraq.

tommylotto on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

tommylotto on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Ah, no. Try setting him up in a no win situation.

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Had we nominated anyone else, we wouldn’t have been.

AP

That’s not true. Rudy would also have stood a real chance of winning. He had even more creditability to claim to not be Bush.

thuja on June 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM

It’s shocking to me how many people still don’t see what’s happening.

Okay so whats happening? Don’t keep it to yourself old chap.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM

My dog is part Palestinian and he wants Obama to win. Never did like that mutt.

Me, I’m voting McCain because Obama is going to get manhandled by every tinpot on earth; Ahmadin and Chavez will nuance Baracky into giving them anything they want.

Bishop on June 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM

flipflop on June 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM

In the practical art of politics, you must be prepared to campaign at any time in the future. In the impractical art of politics, you should have been campaigning quite some time ago, and it’s probably already too late. You’re screwed.
- Sun Tzu’s Nephew

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 10:47 PM

That’s not true. Rudy would also have stood a real chance of winning.

No he wouldn’t. All his divorce/transvestive/gun-grabbing baggage would have sunk him.

He had even more creditability to claim to not be Bush.

I doubt an endorsement from his bank manager would have done him much good. /jk

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Yeah, it’s absolutely a political strategy. I think it might work…increasingly likely as the RNC points out the craziness that is BO.

But considering it IS part of the strategy to trade conservatives for indies and RDems’, no reason to be hatin’ on hard-core conservatives. Their’s is a natural reaction to McCain’s strategy. In the end though, I think most will pull the level for Mac because of the war.

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 10:50 PM

So I wonder what will happen with the absentee vote this year from our military? Anyone got anything about whether the votes will be timely? I can’t find anything yet.

irongrampa on June 5, 2008 at 10:51 PM

McCain is your hombre
If you only feel like a few
scoops of $hit in your milkshake

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

McCain is a kick to the Jimmy
Obama a sword to the throat
I’d rather be pissed and still breathing
Than nuked by a jihadi goat

sulla on June 5, 2008 at 10:52 PM

In the end though, I think most will pull the level for Mac because of the war.

Yeah because they think the maintenance of a Shiite-led Sharia state is crucial to the US interest. Sad.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:52 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Obama is fatally flawed. As things stand right now he could lose in a landslide. A good chunk of the base, working class whites, have walked away from him. All the people closest to him are racists, anti-American radicals and that does not sit well with most Americans. That’s why Hillary smoked him down the stretch even though voters knew it was over they still showed up just to vote against him. It’s not that they wanted Hillary they just wanted to stop Obama more. As Paul Bagala said, you can’t win with just blacks and eggheads. That’s about all Obama has right now.

This strategy by McCain sets Oabam up to be hurt even more. If he goes to Iraq, sees and hears the truth and still wants to pull out people won’t trust him as CiC. If he alters his policy he angers the Moonbats who will call him a traitor. It’s a total no-win for Obama.

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I dislike McCain’s slagging on Bush. He’s starting to remind me of Jimmy Carter. I was so terrified of Obama today, I was reconsidering my stand not to vote at all and vote for McCain. But, like clock work, McCain does something to piss me off.

Blake on June 5, 2008 at 10:59 PM

and bring us home, but bring us home with honor and victory, not defeat.

Have we lost the election already?

freevillage on June 5, 2008 at 10:59 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 10:52 PM

It’s a hell of a lot better than an AQ run failed state sitting on top of the worlds second largest oil supply which gives them plenty of money to do plenty of damage. The last thing we need to do is repeat the mistakes of Afghanistan when we walked away and let the state fail which came back to haunt us on 9/11.

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM

giving advice to Barry….or the public? Gambit, that he is too locked into retreat, or is this the ‘respectable’ campaign?

Limerick on June 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

It still amazes me that we passed on someone with the intellectual capacity of Mitt Romney for this bumbling old man. On the bright side, Obama is unelectable. So in summary, get ready for 4 years of mediocrity. Hopefully in 2012 someone a little more dynamic can lead this nation to true conservatism and true reform.

therightwinger on June 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Blake on June 5, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Shut your ears to it. He’s got to make sure all the workin-class white Deomcrats show up to vote against Obama in the general just as they did down the stretch in the primaries and he’s just trying to make it really easy for them ;)

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:02 PM

But who says AQ would take over? A Sunni/Shiite war might be just the ticket and weaken them both. If AQ take over then just follow BHO’s sensible foreign policy statement and reinvade when necessary. Could always install a sane dictator if nothing else – that was Rumsfeld and Bolton’s position.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Can you tell me where Romney differed from Bush on policy?

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM

He wasn’t all bipartisanship-y. He was against amnesty.

Don’t see how he’d have been worse than John “Obscene Profits” McCain. He wouldn’t have the unprincipled moderates and independents, but he’d have the base.

misterpeasea on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

. If he goes to Iraq, sees and hears the truth and still wants to pull out

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 10:55 PM

What “truth” he gets depends on to whom he talks. Besides his plan is to pull out over a 16 month time frame which would not start until at least January, 2009 which would have “us” there until at least May, 2010.

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:07 PM

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Get your Obama bumper sticker in the mail yet?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Several months ago AQI’s strength was estimated at from several hundred to one or two thousand. Now? A lot of them are suppose to have been killed or captured since then. The Iraqi army is supposedly pretty good by now. It would indeed be rather a feat for that few Sunnis to take over largely Shiite Iraq.

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM

misterpeasea on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Well, right now the base is small. If you are just going after the dwindling conservative base, it would have been a landslide victory for th Dems.

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 11:17 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM

The place is going to fall into chaos. Whether it be Sunni radicals and Shiite how ultimately win is immaterial. Facts is they’ll have another failed state full of wealth within which to set up shop just as they did in Afghanistan. This time they’ll have access to huge sums of money to fund their operations. There’s no way, short of a nuclear holocost on US soil Obama would ever re invade. To believe he would is laughable.

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I liked Romney just fine, but most people did not. And calling McCain a bumbling old man is tacky as hell.

Over at Little Green Footballs Charles was doing a post on Pat Buchanan and he made the point that Fox has been having him on a lot. He also made the point that if the right is trying to find itself by going with the paleos in an effort to be pure, it would mean 8 years of Obama. He seems to think that is why the country is down on Republicans anyway.

I don’t know, but I do know that McCain won the primary, and while he might not as conservative as some people would like for him to be, he is the smartest choice for the times.

I like Bush and still support him, but I know McCain has to seperate himself from Bush and show he is his own man. One thing is for sure, McCain has not been as unkind or unsupportive of Bush as some rightie bloggers and pundits have been.

But I think the Republicans have a chance, it just depends on events.

BTW, I look at markets and I noticed that for the last several days gas and oil have been falling. Then, out of the blue, the Europeans hint at a possible interest rate increase and the euro goes up, the dollar goes down and gas and oil go back up. I honestly do not know what that kind of thing will do to the economy, but it can’t help.

Terrye on June 5, 2008 at 11:21 PM

McCain: I’m surprised Obama’s not blowing me out

He’s not blowing you out yet, McCain. But if you fail to take advantage of all of his self inflicted wounds, (to name a few: Ayers, Rev. Wright, Fr. Pfleger, Rezko, Michelle’s mouth, embracing Black Liberation Theology, past Marxist connections) then you’ll just be another presidential statistic.

byteshredder on June 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Well, right now the base is small.

Where did you pull that out of? The RNC is flush with cash – where do you think that came from? (more than DNC)

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Yet they (Sunnis) managed to do it for decades… funny how that works huh?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Your comment reminds of Paths of Glory (set during WWI) wherein almost an entire French division is wiped out in one charge and the survivors (two soldiers) are prosecuted for failing to advance and take a German hill on their own!

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Get your Obama bumper sticker in the mail yet?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I didn’t order one. Did you order one for me?

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM

MB4:

Don’t you think that if the Bush or McCain thought they could just pull out of Iraq, they would? Think of how easier it would have made Bush’s life.

Terrye on June 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I’m gonna predict a McCain win in Connecticut, Minnesota, and Michigan.

SouthernGent on June 5, 2008 at 11:25 PM

thuja on June 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM

This is precisely the time to bring up Welfare Reform.
I don’t think that we need to listen to idiots who are trying to destroy this country; they need to listen to us.
That’s why McCain is such a crappy, weak candidate.
He has no balls for the fight.

TexasJew on June 5, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Yes, the RNC is flushed with cash compared to the DNC but that’s because the Democratic voters have been sending all their money to Obama’s and Hillary’s campaign. They’ve both have had fund raising records. McCain is not doing that well.

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM

On supporting this war – it’s won already. What’s our remaining goal(s)?

WMD – check
Odai/Qusay – check
Saddam Hussein – check
Zarqawi – check
Elections – check

Democracy? They have a new constitution – not based on our values, but theirs – namely shariah. Under this set-up, Chaldeans and Assyrian Christians are fleeing to (of all places) Syria (while the US plans to take in 7000 Iraqi Muslim refugees). Which of them – Shia or Sunni – are pro-US? Shia? They are mainly supporting Iran and Hizbullah. Sunni? They are either supporting Saddam’s Baathists, or Zarqawi’s al Qaeda. Kurds? Sure, they are the most grateful of the lot, but we aren’t supporting a separate Kurdistan. So which of the people who we are trying to support actually deserves it?

And once again – what’s our mission _now_? Resolving whether Mohammed’s rightful successor was Umar or Ali? If there is a civil war between pro-Hizbullah Shia and pro-Ikhwan Sunni, whose side should we pick? Should we even stop such a fight, were it to break out?

Remember the 80′s war between Iran and Iraq? Did we end up any worse off due to millions of fanatics on both sides getting killed? Remember the 60′s proxy war between Egypt and Saudi Arabia in Yemen? Was that agood or bad thing for Infidels?

Bottom line – if there is an internecine war between Infidel hating Muslims and Infidel hating Muslims, why is that a bad thing for Infidels? If two or more of our enemies are busy destroying each other, why should we even bother stopping them?

Want to know my exit strategy for Iraq? Exit is the strategy. What will result is a civil war between Shia and Sunni. Initially, it’ll be in Iraq. Then, inshallah, it’ll spread to Saudi Arabia, where the Shia in al Hasa province can rebel. Let all that Saudi cash that funds madrassahs and CAIR in the US be diverted towards containing their restive Shia, and in the meantime, let Iran’s cash flow to their science project and Hizbullah be diverted towards encouraging Shia rebellions in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Bahrein. Once we have these 2 US hating groups at each others throats, we can then keep arming at a low level either side so that neither gains the upper hand.
- InfidelPride (JihadWatch)

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM

terryannonline on June 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Mac raised 21.5 this month (with the help of base-rallier GWB). I just want to know why you assert that the base is small.

The base is large enough to keep all the pansy-congress members from turning their back on the war during the hard times. That didn’t happen because of Bush’s charisma. It happened because of the latent power of the base.

Spirit of 1776 on June 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM

The place is already in chaos with US troops stuck in the middle. It was US policy in the ’50s to hand over British and French oil wells to Saudi Arabia and Egypt. The Muslims will control their own oil wealth either way so why not just let then get on with it?

Yeah it might turn into another Afghanistan but I don’t recall the planes that flew into the Towers flying direct from Kabul on chartered Air Afghan flights. Jihadists will get into the US if they are not stopped at customs irregardless of foreign policy.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Texas Jew:

I am tired of hearing what a crappy weak candidate McCain is. If the right was as prevalent as you think it is they should be able to come up with a candidate who can win a Republican primary rather than trying to ruin the man who did win.

sore loser cry babies.

It is not a question of having the balls for the fight. What fight? Welfare reform is not an issue most people give a rats ass about right now.

Terrye on June 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM

To not leave a failed state in our wake as happened in Afghanistan so that 10 years from now where not asking how we allowed 100,000 Jihadists to be trained and funded to carry out terror operations across the globe and at home.

Are you at all familiar with the history of Afghanistan?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:32 PM

MB4:

Terrye on June 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM

They are both to stubborn to admit that their islamic democracy project is at odds with islam itself.

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM

This is precisely the time to bring up Welfare Reform.
That’s why McCain is such a crappy, weak candidate.
He has no balls for the fight.

TexasJew on June 5, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Politics like business. You go with what sells–and if it’s Paris Hilton magazines you do it. TexasJew, you’d bankrupt the Republican Party. What kind of example of good economic practice is that?

(I’m sure Paris Hilton is passe by now, but I don’t really keep up with such things.)

thuja on June 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Really? How many bases do the Jihadists have? How many terror attacks have been launched from Iraq across the globe? How many terrorists have been trained there for international operations in the last year? Chaos? Hardly. What he have is fly paper where a lot of Jihadists got stuck and died.

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM

There are new geographic reports out there putting oil reserves in Iraq at much higher levels than previously thought. If we leave too early and that government collapses how many armies will descend on that country? The Turks? The Iranians? What kind of damage could AlQAida do if they had even part of that oil wealth?

Terrye on June 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Um, that’s where they all trained. You know that right? That’s where tens of thousand were trained. That’s where they had a safe heaven to train, plan and grow. You know all this right? And you also know a big reason that happened was because we walked away when the Soviets pulled out right? You know they fell into a long civil war that devastated the country making it easy for the radicals to take over right?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM

tommylotto on June 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Sounds like future President McCain’s goal is to get senator Obama to find out what is going on in Iraq because he will be voting on issues regarding Iraq for some time to come.

Chakra Hammer on June 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM

McCain ‘08
He sucks less.

sulla on June 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Could you put that on a t-shirt and mail it to me?

29Victor on June 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Are you at all familiar with the history of Afghanistan?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Are you at all familiar with the history of Isalm?

BTW, this is year seven of “our” being in Afghanistan and OBL, if still alive, is probably in Pakistan or maybe in Dearboristan. Most of Al Q seems to be in Pakistan. Do we occupy Pakistan too?

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM

What he have is fly paper where a lot of Jihadists got stuck and died.

If the war aims in Iraq were to kill jihadists and only jihadists then the policy would be somewhat defensible.

Can that please be separated from nurturing a shiny, democratic Iraqi Republic full of Iraqi moms and dads whose burning desire for freedom is the product of every human heart?

If so a far less riskier counter-insurgency could be implemented, resulting in far fewer US casualties.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:40 PM

MB4:

Ah, I see, this is the paleo goes so far right he is in bed with the leftie thing. Kind of reminds me of Ron Paul/Pat Buchanan.

There are far too many Muslims in the world to make enemies of them all. I am not going to assume that Iraq is hopeless because its population is Muslim and all Muslims are antidemocratic. Turkey is far from perfect, but they are a lot better than most of the Muslim world at governing themselves and they have a representative government.

Now I know you will come up with some evidence of bad behavior from the Turks or growing influence of AlQaida or whatever, but tolerating and supporting dictators did not turn out so well either. Abandoning the region did not turn out so well either. Thus far, the alternatives have all failed. So helping to create a stable government in Iraq is in our national interests and the interests of the global economy.

Terrye on June 5, 2008 at 11:40 PM

What difference does it make if Turkey, Iran or Iraq control Iraq’s oil wealth? It will go towards jihad in any case.

What kind of damage could AlQAida do if they had even part of that oil wealth?

How can they when the Turks/Iranians are controlling it? Besides the oil fields are located in Shiite regions of a majority Shiite country. How are they supposed to get hold of it?

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:40 PM

The idea is to not leave a failed state behind. Best if it can be some form of Democracy where people have a stake in running their own country. For the life of me I can’t understand the aversion so many here have to giving people a legitimate shot at FREEDOM. After all, that’s what we are SUPPOSED to be all about!

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM

ya, it’s not like the Iranians would ever fund terrorists or anything. Are you for real?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Yet they (Sunnis) managed to do it for decades… funny how that works huh?

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Not funny at all how that works as there were a whole lot more of them, Sunni bathists, to put it mildly, than than there are of AQI.

MB4 on June 5, 2008 at 11:46 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Yes, everyone knows that. That doesn’t mean that Iraq is Afghanistan just because you say it is. They’re training in Pakistan at the moment but there aren’t hundreds of thousands of US troops trying to turn that failed state into a shining beacon of democracy. Training camps can be destroyed by airstrikes absent idealistic nation-building projects.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 11:46 PM