Another Obama flip-flop: Jerusalem

posted at 9:40 pm on June 5, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama had to backtrack on foreign policy yet again today, this time on Jerusalem. He tried to outdo John McCain at AIPAC yesterday by insisting that Jerusalem remain the undivided capital of Israel. The Palestinians erupted in anger at that statement, and by the end of the day they had Obama backpedaling:

Facing criticism from Palestinians, Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged today that the status of Jerusalem will need to be negotiated in future peace talks, amending a statement earlier in the week that Jerusalem “must remain undivided.”

Obama, during a speech Wednesday to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, a pro-israel lobbying group, had called for Jerusalem to become the site of the U.S. embassy, a frequent pledge for U.S. presidential candidates. (It is now in Tel Aviv.) But his statement that Jerusalem should be the undivided capital of Israel drew a swift rebuke from Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

The US has no official position on the status of Jerusalem other than to insist that the two parties work it out between themselves. It is considered one of the most sensitive points in negotiations between the PA and Israel, and most diplomats avoid mentioning it at all to avoid unnecessary provocations while trying to get the two parties to talk.

Obama apparently doesn’t know that — because he hasn’t any experience at it. Today he tried extracting his foot from his mouth, without much success:

Obama quickly backtracked today in an interview with CNN.

“Well, obviously, it’s going to be up to the parties to negotiate a range of these issues. And Jerusalem will be part of those negotiations,” Obama said when asked whether Palestinians had no future claim to the city.

Yes, obviously. Unfortunately, in learning a lesson on foreign policy, Obama managed to anger both parties and forced them into making public demands that only make diplomacy more difficult later. This is what happens when candidates with no experience in diplomacy and foreign policy think themselves experts in both.

How many of these can we expect to see with Obama in the White House?

Update: Soren Dayton wonders what this quick reversal after Palestinian criticism means for an Obama/Ahmadinejad meeting.

Comments

New term: Baracktrack.

All fish. No water.

yo on June 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Clinton and Bush both promised to move the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem in election campaigns. Nothing ever came of it.

aengus on June 5, 2008 at 9:44 PM

I believe he reads. Someone needs to hand him a copy of O’Jerusalem to help kick start the connections between his mouth and his brain.

Limerick on June 5, 2008 at 9:45 PM

I think many Palestinians are for an undivided Jerusalem. They just want to make sure it’s an Arab Jerusalem and not a Jewish one.

JadeNYU on June 5, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Flip-flop? No. He’s just wishywashy soon to be squeacky clean.

rich801 on June 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Rather stunningly naive.

hillbillyjim on June 5, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Good lord!

Everybody that wants everything please contact him. He is prepared to give anything to anybody. This guy is so transparent that he’s not even a challenge.

rplat on June 5, 2008 at 9:54 PM

How many of these can we expect to see with Obama in the White House?

I thought about Barry being in the OO when a nuke went off somewhere, LA, Israel…and tried to picture what he would be like.

I can only see a bumbling guy in WAAAAAAAY over his head panicking.

I trust others will think about the same thing before voting for that bonehead.

Is it me, or does he sound like your typical baseball player giving one of those unthinking interviews.

“Well, obviously we could have shot better.”

Light.

Weight.

benrand on June 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM

This empty suit is out of his depth in a puddle.

Mooseman on June 5, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Absolutely pathetic……………All hail the Messiah!

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 9:59 PM

LOL, Hopey Changey starting to fail you, Barack? This is the big leagues now and these stupid mistakes are going to cost you. Like I have said, the RNC commercials are writing themselves.

Don’t worry though, you can mollify the Palestinians by reminding them that your middle name is “Hussein”.

Bishop on June 5, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Ahh SHIITE. There goes Barack Hussein Obama’s Gaza donation office.

On Jerusalem. If the United Nations was really serious about world peace, they’d adios New York, and relocate to Jerusalem. Imagine the great hands-on experience they can ALL get by being right in the Lion’s mouth. Some might even be lucky, or unlucky enough to witness a real suicide bomber.

byteshredder on June 5, 2008 at 10:06 PM

“Uh, well, it was such a small, little bomb, that I didn’t think we had anything to really worry about, it wasn’t one of those Soviet Union bombs, the big ones. So obviously, next time, I will pay more attention.”

benrand on June 5, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Boy blunder!

abinitioadinfinitum on June 5, 2008 at 10:20 PM

In between cleaning my brand new aluminum cookware and watching the movie 300, this latched on to my brain after reading this post.

A man who thought himself of a God just felt a very human shiver up his spine

Well thats the closest I can quote it, and I think it is what Mr. Obama will start to feel as his flakey policies and undeniable ignorance shows it’s face in the future.

Oh God I hope I am right, but with the media support he has, it will be hard to beat.

How many of you are willing to take another carter admin. in order to get a true conservative in the white house and control of the senate again in 2012?

Doesn’t matter, the world will in in 2012!

lsutiger on June 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Me thinks Obamas offical campaign song will be a cover of Billy Preston’s classic “will it go round in circles”

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Oh my,

All you in the hinterlands. This man will be my Commander in Chief if you do not suck it up and vote McCain.

Please, Please Please, I cant take another Clinton Admin (but sooooo much worse).

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Term for politicians with split personalities….
Schizobama

Beto Ochoa on June 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Ya got mine squidie or is it squidy….either way… if the Moron wins you have a safe port in my home!

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Barack unsuccessfully attempts to ride the fence and play both sides AGAIN.

And no one is listening.

awake on June 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Hmmm, are there 2 BO’s. We should look into it right away, get a Senator on it. Form a committee or something.

kahall on June 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, but we don’t want McCain to be President, because he’s not conservative enough.

exhelodrvr on June 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Will the MSM finally start tracking (in my dreams: criticizing) these ignorant foreign policy statements?!

I know the words “national security” don’t have the mind-numbing effect of “yes we can,” but maybe if we click our heels and say, “there’s no place like America…there’s no place like America…”.

Lockstein13 on June 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Squiddie

Squidy is an adjective (having the qualities of a Squid) :)

Thanks for the offer!

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM

So far, he’s backpedaled on –
Wright
Iranian Revolutionary Guards
the Iran threat
the Patriot Act
ethanol
North Korea
flag pins

And now, Jerusalem. He’s moving backward so fast that the rotation of the earth will be affected soon, and he’ll reverse time, just like Superman.

Laura on June 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Squidshark–if ya don’t mind sharing a hooch with a leg, I got ya covered here.

irongrampa on June 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM

irongrampa on June 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Im good, I can always get into my sail boat with my dogs and find an Island somewhere.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I am eligible for Israeli citizenship, maybe I will go there if Obama wins. It would be nice to fight with a Navy serious about effing up terrorists.

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM

awake on June 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM

If Obama fell in a forest, would he make a sound?

Connie on June 5, 2008 at 10:54 PM

He’s a community organizer with zero experience and apparently little understanding of how the world works.

As long as the press keeps covering for him and the voters want change for change sake, he’ll win. What happens then is pure speculation, although we’re likely to see a lot of insane and dangerous proposals out of the White house until the American people push back.

Asher on June 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM

benrand on June 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Makes me think of that ‘campaign ad’ where a President Obama kept calling Hillary at three in the morning to get help on the crisis de jour.

bikermailman on June 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

I’m not crazy about John McCain, but neither am I nuts about a closet-Muslim. The Koran says, Barack Hussein Obama will ALWAYS BE A MUSLIM. Strange, other than cheering him on, and donating, the silence from Islam about this matter has been deafening.

byteshredder on June 5, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Squid Shark on June 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Dude its your handle and as far as I know you could squirt ink, swim kinda F’d up and hide in the dark! Offer stands inspite!

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I hope this is on the subject – re obama’s jihadi connections. Please see:

I agree with you byteshredder – I will have to hold more than my nose to vote for mccain and then it depends on who is his vp. And the good picks are Palin, – well Alaska gov; Romney and that’s about all. Trying to be nice and not bring up someone.

I think the reason so many young people are swooning over him is because they have been taught in gov schools, and gov universities by anti American professors. They have no historical prospective and it scares the heck out of me. I have no idea how any Jew could pull the leaver for him. I don’t think obama has a truthful bone in his body. He lies about all the people he has associated with for 20 years. Does anyone believe he didn’t know about their views and their hate of this country?

Bambi on June 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Whoops hatred!

Bambi on June 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Barackflop, backflop

Chakra Hammer on June 5, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Can’t you just let him finish his waffle in peace?

29Victor on June 5, 2008 at 11:40 PM

LOL can’t be said better

ORrighty on June 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM

We’re discussing Jerusalem, so let Baracky eat his falafel in peace.

Bishop on June 5, 2008 at 11:50 PM

I’ve said it before, now I’m saying it again:

This semi-White big-eared former smoker is clever and ambitious but is not intelligent and not wise

not an idiot or a moron but an inexperienced, immature fool

now for another of my Famous Predictions

( I said the Surge would work, and it did

I said the Pantsuit would not be elected POTUS in 2008…)

BHO will not be elected Prez; McCain will

so, stop mit all ze bitching und whining………….

Janos Hunyadi on June 6, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Think Carter administration incompetence and micromanagement combined with Clintonian hatred of all things military.

I really dislike McCain and have so for many years. McCain-Feingold and immigration are two excellent reasons to dislike McCain. But in Barack Hussein Obama the Democrats have found maybe the one candidate that would actually get me working for McCain!

Hope you feel better, squid.

iconoclast on June 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM

New term: Baracktrack.

yo on June 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Good one!

CP on June 6, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Holy, WAH! Would it be possible for this dolt to start
WWIII before he even gets elected?

Yoop on June 6, 2008 at 1:09 AM

So Allahpundit, are we STILL going to lose to this clown by 4-5 points?

I’ll lay out why that will be impossible:

1. Blacks already support Democrats in November by 90% margins. Barack Obama will literally do no better, since any black who isn’t expressly Republican always votes for the Dem. No black Republican will vote for the shiny token of the Dem party who makes a mockery out of real black Americans of accomplishment. They will look at their resume’s, note their utter superiority to Obama in every way that matters, and either stay home or pull the lever for McCain.

2. Most white-guilt ridden liberals are women. Most liberal women period are feminists who supported Hillary and shouted “No! It’s OUR turn! Go away ‘inadequate black male!’”

3. The level of feminist fallout will be greater than any marginal gain Barack gains among blacks.

4. Barack Obama attracts even fewer middle class white male voters than John Kerry.

5. Faced with an Obama presidency and knowing his sheer inability to speak about any issue foreign or domestic with any level of coherence or consistencym Republicans will begrudgingly vote for McCain.

6. Obama’s inanity on every single issue he has Baracktracked on so far will alientate independents and moderates assuming his 100% partisan liberal rubberstamp mentality doesn’t do it first.

Conclusion:

The Dem primary has ripped identity politics asunder and devastated the Democrat Party. Their entire party is based on whose feelings were hurt by what, and the Dems already had a reputation of being a lose coalition of backstabbing mules. They are guarenteed lower turnout and a smaller base coalition.

This is John McCain’s election to lose. Unless he manages to alienate all Republicans and all Independents(yeah right) than Barack did hardcore liberals (his only vote base), McCain has this in the bag.

And I’d really rather not talk about primary turnouts. Combined in a contested race, both the dems managed 36 million votes combined. Kerry got 50 million in the general and Bush got 54 million IIRC. Both of those numbers far outflank primary turnout.

BKennedy on June 6, 2008 at 3:38 AM

…the hell? How many Palestinians vote for POTUS?

silverfox on June 6, 2008 at 4:19 AM

New term: Baracktrack.

Excellent!

drjohn on June 6, 2008 at 7:25 AM

It’s not just the Palestinians, I checked a bunch of the articles following his AIPAC speech to see what the reaction would be from his base after swerving & scrambling so far right to get into the center on the tumultuous critical Mid East issue this election..

I saw pages & pages worth of hate filled reaction posts by angry democrats, about the Jews, Israel, pandering to AIPAC, and learned that my country is actually controlling the World’s only superpower!!!

His 30% base is losing their minds over this, but in comment after comment they are wrestling with how loud to be in order to not spoil what many called a ‘political’ speech.. Apparently these peolple are too stupid to realize that the insane left wing views they hold & which propelled Obama to the narrow nomination have zero shot in hell at winning 5 states, let alone the electoral college..

Boy are they in for a shock at the “new & improved” Obama now that the election is on.. It’s all about change, apparently from week to week now. They are going to get a megadose of their own ‘change’ medecin lol, watch as Obama runs from their circus hills full speed ahead.

saus on June 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM

Jerusalem will remain united, but the Mount of Olives will split in two when Obama lands on it.

Tzetzes on June 6, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Typical: lead off with your mouth, not your brain, and say something stupid. Then, when everyone in the world calls you on it, respond with a lofty, “well obviously, I didn’t mean that“. We have to defeat this guy.

jackmac on June 6, 2008 at 9:24 AM

This guy is setting a new world land speed record for flip-flops and screwups. Maybe the worst general election candidate in my lifetime, and I’m old enough to remember McGovern.

rockmom on June 6, 2008 at 9:24 AM

He’s acting as if Palestinians ara a voting block that he needs to pander to…

Oh wait, yeah they kind of are, since they do so much for his campaign. Welcome to President Obama’s foreign policy.

Grafted on June 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Tzetzes: I hope every thing went well. Wish you much happiness.

Bambi on June 6, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Ewww…. can anyone make T-shirts???

I want one that says…

Obmam 08- The Candidate of Hope, and Change…

then in small letters underneath..

Yeah, I CHANGED my position again, and HOPE I got it right this time.

Romeo13 on June 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Guess the lobbyist in his party from hamas got a little pissed over Obama trying bow down to the evil jew threat, with all his divine knowledge Barack should know better.

Barack better watch himself, soon he’s going to have to start calling his own statements racist and hateful.

Rbastid on June 6, 2008 at 10:54 AM

This is all very simple. Obama told AIPAC all things to make them feel good about his views on Israel. The only problem is he got caught flip-flopping on Jerusalem.

I would hope the members of AIPAC take a hard look at Obama and wonder how many other pro Israeli statements were made only to please them.

Hey AIPAC, from someone who thinks like you, take a look at his past associations!

tazmebro on June 6, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Good lord!

rplat on June 5, 2008 at 9:54 PM

I just hope that’s obvious to the swing voters. If it is, McCain will get about 454 electoral votes in November. (I’m giving Obama Illinois, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maryland, and D.C.)

Al in St. Lou on June 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I can only see a bumbling guy in WAAAAAAAY over his head panicking.

benrand on June 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Charles Logan, anyone?

dmann on June 5, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I’m thinking Dead or Alive…like a record, baby.

steadyrock on June 6, 2008 at 1:48 PM

FYI, the New King James Version of the Bible mentions Jerusalem 807 times.

It’s been a focal point for almost all of human history, and is central to future events.

Red Pill on June 6, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Bishop on June 5, 2008 at 9:59 PM

BISH for PRES!!

leftnomore on June 6, 2008 at 6:50 PM

I’m thinking Dead or Alive…like a record, baby.

steadyrock on June 6, 2008 at 1:48 PM

‘ROCK for the TONIGHT SHOW!

leftnomore on June 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM