Bob Beckel and the Mighty Big Shoe

posted at 11:10 am on June 3, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Democratic strategist Bob Beckel appeared on Fox & Friends this morning and dropped a bombshell. Beckel says he believes a “shoe will drop” as early as tomorrow, and that it involves Michelle Obama. This will, he says, be “significantly” bigger than the earlier college-thesis issue, which implies that the supposed “whitey” video exists. Here’s Beckel sounding strangely out of breath while delivering this “news”:

Once again, we hear how this is a Republican dirty trick, this time from Beckel, but that makes no sense. If the Republicans had the video, they wouldn’t have even intimated it exists until after Obama had the nomination. All due respect to Operation Chaos, but why lay this out when the Democrats can still nominate someone who would therefore be the stronger general-election candidate? They would wait until after the convention, maybe all the way to late October, before springing it.

No, this sounds much more like a Clinton operation, both in timing and in style. I suspect that the video doesn’t even exist, but that the rumor of it is intended to worry the superdelegates enough to support Hillary. Supposedly the video contains footage of Michelle Obama and Louis Farrakhan at a public conference, with Mrs. Obama using the term “whitey” in a pejorative context. In a search yesterday of the archives of the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times, I find no mention of any such conference, let alone the use of that kind of provocative rhetoric by the wife of a politician with presidential aspirations. Even for a complacent media — and that really doesn’t describe the Tribune or the Sun-Times with respect to Barack Obama — this would have made news.

Even if it did exist, its publication in the next few days doesn’t help McCain. Who benefits from it? The woman who wants the Democratic nomination, that’s who. If that shoe drops, it will have stiletto heels — if the video exists at all, which I’m sure it doesn’t. If it doesn’t, the rumor helps Hillary, too … but it won’t be enough.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The problem for Obama is that the fact she may have made such an obvious racist remark doesn’t surprise anyone including his core supporters. A bigger surprise is that black racism and anti-American hate speech is so prevalent in our country, almost bordering on fanaticism.

volsense on June 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Beckel is a OBAMA supporter so he would bring it out to help Clinton.

KBird on June 3, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Nah, it’s this:

A tape is discovered in which Louis Farrakhan scolds Michelle Obama for being too consumed with hatred.

And more of my reasons for Hillary to stay in the race.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 3, 2008 at 2:14 PM

There probably is a video. It probably will come out, likely by disappointed Clinton supporters, as Obama clinches.

I do believe Michelle Obama would go on a rant and scream about Whitey. Why?

Because she craved the emotional high from the response of the crowd. The Chicago Media, sorry Captain Ed, has hidden the racist agenda of the Farrakhan led (he lives there) Chicago Black community for decades. It would be “racism” to disclose the words and speeches of the Wrights, Pflegers, Farrakhans, and so on. Meanwhile people screaming that abuse of “whitey” or America get a WWE type of response from the crowd. It’s a huge high. One that Obama seemed to crave just being in the audience.

Neither Wright, nor Pfleger, nor Moss, or any of these other people are stupid. The knew abstractly that saying these things would turn off the vast white middle class voters. That saying them again after the first YouTube clips surfaced would hurt Obama and their own ability to be influential “friends of Obama” and influence peddle. Which would certainly be a powerful position.

But like a junkie needing their next fix, they went ahead and did it anyway, screaming about “white privilege” or putting on a show for the NAACP and Press Corps (Wright). Because the emotional high was too beguiling.

Obama has always been this guy. Flawed from the start because he starts out from a racist, dysfunctional place dominated by Louis Farrakhan. I loathe Maverick but he doesn’t have that flaw.

whiskey_199 on June 3, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Maybe something completly off the current radar…

This is really out there.

singlemalt_18 on June 3, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I don’t think Bob Beckel would say something like this if he didn’t have the goods. But even so, is there anything Michelle Obama has said that is worse than “For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country”?

SoulGlo on June 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM

volsense on June 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Let’s just say that those who support him probably would not be swayed. His supporters believe what she is saying on this tape, if it exists, is true.

I fear a tape like that will do nothing to change things. The whole Democratic Party believes it, Hillary’s supporters are not the current base of their party, they’re more like the base from Lyndon Johnson’s time.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I just got here and haven’t read all of the above but watching Bob Beckel, the man that would say and do anything, ANYTHING to defeat the Repubs ( lies, deceit, perpetuate a rumor).
I think this is a set up today, to make it easier to fluff it up tomorrow.
Beckel and company will come out right after this is released, whatever it is, and he will say…
“oh it’s NOTHING, thank goodness, we thought it might be bad but it’s not, its nothing” {ad nauseum, it’s nothing. i.e. wright, trinity church, ayers)
Bob Beckel is a snake, a horrid fibfest of a snake in the grass.

shooter on June 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM

See I just do not believe the Democrat party could be that stupid or that careless not to question Michelle Obama about this in detail. It’s too absurd, I mean it’s politics they want to win, I just think if it really existed he would be history.

I mean Michelle Obama has to know what event she participated in and what she actually said. If it could take down their campaign it would be an issue.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 2:38 PM

volsense on June 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I believe you to be either very stupid or quite a convincing liar. I suspect a bit of both.

You sound as socially and personally crippled by racial hangups as the most leftwing libtard, like say Charlie Rangel. What happened to you that was a function of racism that has you so bent? Would you like to compare notes? When I got f***ed over, I didn’t turn on whites, on my family, on my friends, on my country. What’s your deal?

Since I tossed the first bomb, I expect a I strong retort. But you and I both know that neither of us will change the other’s mind. So I look forward to some funny insults hurled out of frustration too. I can’t wait. You are my pushpuppet.

***
Simple questions for honest people:
For whom is the American racial landscape more ominous, typically? Quantitatively, who has had it worse? Since when don’t humans respond negatively to unfair situations? If you are so sure what blacks could and should do collectively, why don’t you lead by example? Are you as congenial, friendly, empathetic or embracing of blacks? Their culture? Is there anything you could personally do to improve things? What have you done? If you’ve done nothing, why should anybody else?

I’m black. The majority of my family members are white. (Yes, those are very general terms.)

I say that to say this:
I don’t believe that most whites, much less most Americans are racist. You, on the other hand, suggested that only black Americans are afflicted by such malignant racism. If blacks are so wholly unAmerican and undesirable, I have to ask, “Do you want us here?”

If I believed people were such a scourge on my country I would rally and advocate for their ouster. Hence my support for the WOT and hardcore border security.

Tell me how you really feel.

***
RE: Michelle-O
If she used this ridiculous word, she needs to be horsewhipped with a featherduster. But, the only people I have ever heard use the words “whitey” and “honky” were white or in movies like Three the Hard Way. What’s funnier than that, outside of commercial rap, the most I have heard the word “nigga” used is by teenagers…of all races.

Words like “nigga, bitch, slut, dog, f*ck, d*ck etc are like punctuation in these kids’ mouths today.

The Race Card on June 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM

How does this help wake me up after the Obamamessiah is inaugurated elevated?

corona on June 3, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I’m skeptical, and understand the idea that Repubs, if they had the tape, would want to hold it till later. But we all are aware of how hard it is to keep a secret, and there have been leaks of more important info in the past.

mikeyboss on June 3, 2008 at 4:47 PM

It’s the nature of rumor to distort the details. Michelle may not have used the actual term ‘whitey’. Still, sitting with Farrakhan and using any term for ‘white people’in a negative sense would be damamging. (BTW – Larry Johnson already has a photo from 2004 of Michelle and Ms. Farrakhan together for an event. Getting closer …) Standing beside the leader of the Nation of Islam and ranting about ‘white people keeping us down’ will not go over well, whether she uses specific terms like ‘whitey’ or not. The image of Farrakhan with Michelle while she criticizes and accuses whites will derail Obama’s victory celebration and kill his forward momentum.

As with Wright and Pfilger the image, her body language and the tone of her voice will be the message, far more than the transcript. Farrakhan is just icing on the race-baiting cake.

Vote Sauron 08 on June 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Vote Sauron 08 on June 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Again, more conjecture, he was with so and so, she sat next to this one – let’s have the real deal, real bona fide proof, like umm the tape.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Well, certainly Michelle met with Farrakhan’s wife (among others) in 2004 before the election. Johnson has the proof on his blog. It’s not damning by any stretch, but it shows that even as late as ’04, the Obama’s were eager to be seen with high-ranking members of the Nation of Islam. We know the Obamas run in radical circles. We know the NOI has political pull in some key parts of Chicago that BHO wanted to tap into. We know Michelle has trouble controlling her mouth. It’s certainly concievable that she said something inappropriate about ‘whites’, something that will look very bad to voters in Ohio and PA.

Maybe this exact video doesn’t exist but something is out there, whether it lands tomorrow or in October. Something exists and it won’t be good for Michelle.

Vote Sauron 08 on June 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Well, certainly Michelle met with Farrakhan’s wife (among others) in 2004 before the election. Johnson has the proof on his blog. It’s not damning by any stretch, but it shows that even as late as ‘04, the Obama’s were eager to be seen with high-ranking members of the Nation of Islam. We know the Obamas run in radical circles. We know the NOI has political pull in some key parts of Chicago that BHO wanted to tap into. We know Michelle has trouble controlling her mouth. It’s certainly concievable that she said something inappropriate about ‘whites’, something that will look very bad to voters in Ohio and PA.

Vote Sauron 08 on June 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Again, this statement -

- the Obama’s were eager to be seen with high-ranking members of the Nation of Islam. We know the Obamas run in radical circles.

Where is the proof that will sway Moderate voters, not Far Right voters who would never vote for him in the first place, but the mainstream. And when I say mainstream I am not including Right leaning Dems – the DINOs – who haven’t voted Democrat in years.

If the mainstream was so concerned with this – he would have been out by now.

I’m just being a jaded hard nosed NY realist here, the only people that are jacked up about this are Right leaning voters and Hillary’s band of cougars, bitties and your everyday man haters who only want a woman in the White House, nothing more, nothing less.

For the sale to go through, to close the deal, i.e. rendering this guy unelectable we need more than this conjecture.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Like most of you, I totally dismissed the possibility that this tape exists at first. Not that it didn’t seem completely plausible that MO might have said something that outrageous — but you had to consider the source of the rumor. In the last two days, though, I’ve started to reevaluate.

First, I read a blog post (forget where — Michael Goldfarb at The Weekly Standard, maybe?) pointing out how Obama had made such a striking effort last week to brand any negative comments on his wife’s (negative) comments as divisive, dirty politics at best, and rascist at worst. Circling the wagons, knowing a major attack was coming?

Then there was Bob Becker’s heavy breathing. He may be a scumbag, but I always thought he was a pretty well-connected scumbag. Why on earth would he give any credence at all to the rumor if there was nothing to substantiate it? Sounded like more cya groundwork being laid to me.

Then a comment posted at Just One Minute really got my attention. Jed Babbin sat in for Laura Ingraham today, and the poster said Jed seemed to confirm that the tape did exist and that it was damning. But the participants are MO and MRS. Farrakhan, not Louis. Did anybody hear this segment? Is that a fair representation of what was said?

grits on June 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM

“For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country”?

SoulGlo on June 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Uhhh yeah, being that is not exactly what she said. Geesh, give it a break already. To bad you guys can’t use this energy to get the crypt keeper elected.

TOPV on June 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

grits on June 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Anytime I have ever seen Beckel in H & C he seems like a bumbling idiot.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Just another nail in the coffin and I’m sure there are many more nails in the bucket. Michelle is just one of his Achilles heals.

rplat on June 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM

A black and anti-American racist fanatic is right behind your back!!1

freevillage on June 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

It doesn’t matter whether there is an actual video or not, or whether Michelle Obama ever said “whitey” or not.

We have adequate evidence that the Obamas have associated themselves with racial hate mongers, black separatists, and america-hating, jew-hating, hispanic-hating, asian-hating radicals for over 20 years: this is who they are.

The idea that the Obama family has any members which can “bring America together” is preposterous!!!

landlines on June 3, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Ah nuts. I thought Bob Beckel might start doing Jenny Craig ads.

byteshredder on June 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

The boss has spoken and I agree with her.

Produce the tape or put a lid on it.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I dont believe there’s a tape.

aikidoka on June 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Please, please, please with a cherry on top. Let the tape be real!!!

Hey….a girl can dream.

Winebabe on June 4, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Better than a 50/50 chance of a tape exists……But Beckel is just doing normal DNC Damage control…..Get the story out and become old stuff….before the story even becomes a story……..

Remember the Media’s job has become to “sneak the Dem candidates past the general public, not to educate the general public with journalism….

sbark on June 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Even if the tape doesn’t exist (as Michelle Malkin seems to believe), what does exist is the perception by the thinking public that Obama’s wife is the type of person to say such things, and harbors such venomous (and blatantly anti-Christian) sentiments. While I’m skeptical of the existence of the footage, I’m certainly not skeptical of the probability that that kind of language is not uncommon from the Obama house, and probably being taught to their kids, even as you read this.

Virus-X on June 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Virus-X on June 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM

I’m just not buying any of it. It has not become like some kind of Michelle Obama Truther like story, it’s ridiculous and it’s pure gossip and nothing more, nothing less.

AprilOrit on June 4, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Looking for the tape, check Sandy Burglars tightly whities.

Wade on June 4, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Not to mention that Lary Johnson’s website is down or offline.

I guess he’s embarrassed.

AprilOrit on June 4, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Well… I think either the vid exists or it doesn’t… Hillary is the one pimpin it…

Cause either way… It’s a great way to get yourself the VP spot…

hey… we know of this tape of your wife channeling Rev. Wright… What do u think we should do with it…

It’s a free gamble to get the VP spot… Regardless if it’s real or fake… That’s why Bob “CHRIS FARLEY” Beckel seems happy to be part of the RWC… Right Wing Conspiracy…

Y314K on June 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Day’s almost over now.

Typhonsentra on June 4, 2008 at 8:58 PM

And…. it’s next morning now.

Typhonsentra on June 5, 2008 at 8:24 AM