Michelle Obama: “Don’t trust bloggers … because people lie”

posted at 7:17 pm on June 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

Given the likely impetus for this remark, I can’t say I blame her.

Long after the general election is over, Americans are going to have to stay engaged if the country’s political environment is to change, Michelle Obama told a Billings crowd Monday.

The wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told a few hundred supporters gathered at the Billings Hotel and Convention Center they had to remain active in their communities and do their own research on issues in order the change the country’s political path.

“The way this campaign has been run is the way we need to be forever,” Obama said. “Don’t trust bloggers or someone else’s opinion, because people lie.”

Steve Gilbert has your exit question, and it’s a good one. Since I’m momentarily defending the Obamas, let me go ahead and say I think the Prince of Peace is getting a bad rap at The Corner for this, too. He defines “sin” as “Being out of alignment with my values,” which Jonah Goldberg takes to be an awfully narcissistic definition of the term. Sounds to me like by “my values” he simply meant “my Christian values,” per the extended exchange from the original interview:

GG:
Do you believe in sin?

OBAMA:

GG:
What is sin?

OBAMA:
Being out of alignment with my values.

GG:
What happens if you have sin in your life?

OBAMA:

That seems like a fairly pedestrian (if a tinge New Age-y) way to think of it, but leave it to the atheist to shrug these things off. Anyone want to take issue? Go nuts!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well if Beckel is worried then something is firm in the rumor mill. I’m more curious as to who may have it if its true.

flyboy777 on June 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Could this have anything to do with this rumor about Mrs Obama??—-> http://noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/06/02/thread-3-desperate-obama-disinformation-over-michelle-%e2%80%9cwhitey%e2%80%9d-video/

Dollayo on June 3, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Bloggers White bloggers lie!

~fixed

moxie_neanderthal on June 3, 2008 at 8:39 AM

The amazing Michelle O, the ultimate hypocrite, bloggers lie except for the bloggers that send the Messiah their last $20…priceless look behind the Marxist mind!

el Vaquero on June 3, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Well, yes people do lie, and you are people.
“No generality is worth a damn, including this one.” Twain

right2bright on June 3, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Obama’s answer about sin is a total NON Answer.
Makes me want to become a reporter so I can actually try and get some answers out of these people. Answers that mean something.

bridgetown on June 3, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Is the Michelle my belle Obama, “whitey Lied” video, actually available somewhere? I was sorely disappointed to click on one of the headlines on HA and see that stupid music video, yet again…

kcd on June 3, 2008 at 9:31 AM

If Obama defines sin as “being out of alignment with [his] values”, that begs the question: what are Obama’s values? If Obama believes that Jeremiah Wright led him to Christ, are Wright’s values Obama’s values, and Obama’s ideas of Christ? A very scary thought, if Obama becomes President.

We shouldn’t give Obama a pass on this. What if Ahmadinejad defines sin as out of alignment with Ahmadinejad’s values, and decides to punish sinners (in Israel, for example) by blowing them to smithereens with an atomic bomb. What would Obama say? “Oh, sorry, you Israelis were out of alignment with my friend Mahmoud’s values. We’ve gotta talk”.

If everyone’s definition of sin was misalignment with their own personal values, we would have 6 billion different definitions of sin, 6 billion punishments of it, and mass chaos. Saint Paul wrote that “all [human beings] have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”, which is why we need God’s values, not our own, to judge sin.

What ARE your values, Barry O? Not getting punished with a baby?

Steve Z on June 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM

flyboy777 on June 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM

If you click on this link under headlines –

Hmmm: Now Bob Beckel dropping hints about a Michelle Obama bombshell 16

Alisyn in the Greenroom’s post about Beckel is suddenly gone replaced by an error 404 message page:

Error 404 – Not Found
Woops! The page you were looking for could not be found.

Try starting at the Alisyn in the Greenroom home page and see if you can find something interesting. Or enter some keywords below to search this blog.

If you enter Bob Beckel’s name in the keyword search nothing comes up which leads me to believe this whole tape story is bogus, something that was put out there by Shillbilly to frighten voters, in only the way they can do it, with sleaze and propaganda; thus the reason Alisyn in the greenroom pulled down the complete post.

People are coming in under the other post for today and asking where the heated discussion went – please bring it back.

Other sources are saying that NPR has done some due diligence on this tape and it is nothing substantial.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM

kcd on June 3, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Don’t get yourself too excited, I think it was a Shillbilly desparado attempt at winning, nothing more.

AprilOrit on June 3, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Sounds to me like by “my values” he simply meant “my Christian values,”

As Barack Hussein Obama is the son of God then… well… of course.

DANEgerus on June 3, 2008 at 1:44 PM

You know, she says ” be true to your faith” as that is sort of a ” it’s ok as long as it’s for religious reasons “.

Does she not realize yet that people in some places TODAY would kill her because they believe their religion tells them its OK to do it ??

It sounds like the question was to get her to acknowledge EVIL, even if it’s being justified by ‘religions beliefs’, which would make it a BAD religious belief…

tx2654 on June 3, 2008 at 1:49 PM

“I think it’s the same thing as the question about heaven. In the same way that if I’m true to myself and my faith that that is its own reward, when I’m not true to it, it’s its own punishment.”

He must be hindu. He’s just describing karma.

Kevin M on June 3, 2008 at 5:45 PM