Fox News: Wright, Trinity received $15M in taxpayer money from g*ddamn America

posted at 9:20 pm on June 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

None of it came from Obama; he was too busy getting earmarks for Pfleger. Look, the parishioners pay their taxes, however damned by God they might think the Treasury Department is, and the church does appear to be putting the money towards charitable programs — although given Wright’s beliefs about AIDS, I’m mighty curious to see the lesson plan for the HIV “education” program. Unless someone can show it’s being spent on improper ends, like, hypothetically, a mansion for the ex-pastor, I’m not sure what the beef is.

FOX News has learned that over the last 15 years, Trinity has received at least $15 million in grants from the federal government — in other words, taxpayer money.

Records show this money supported a variety of outreach: everything from low income housing to nutritional programs for needy kids to money for HIV/AIDS education…

[A] scholar who specializes in religion and politics says Wright never swore off government funding like ultra-nationalist Black Muslims have.

Andrew Walsh, associate director of the Leonard E. Greenberg Center for the Study of Religion in Public Life with Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., said Wright’s practices fall in line with his preaching.

“Wright believes things like the government-funded programs are a necessary compensation for the legacy of white racism, part of what’s necessary to heal the wounds inflicted over four centuries on blacks. His niche is even more specialized–he does this sort of work in the context of white denominational mainline Protestantism, which, on the whole has welcomed both him and his message.”

Another professor looked at the grant documents and found things to be in order. Seriously, if feeding from the federal trough while coming up for air occasionally to spout anti-government invective (which is distinct from anti-American invective, but close enough for these purposes) is some mortal sin, then there are a lot of Republicans in red congressional districts that had better be repenting on Sunday.

Update (Ed):  After AP posted this, I tooled around through the FedSpending.org database to see how these grants got allocated.  The database covers all grants and contracts for fiscal years 2000-2007 and is a great resource.  According to the search, TUCC received its last grant in FY2001, for $150,000 under a program to “Improve the Health Status of Minority Populations”.

After 2001, the grants apparently stopped, which might also explain some of the hostility Wright felt for the federal government.  It also absolves Obama from the accusation of finagling pork for his church, as he didn’t enter the Senate until 2005.  Unless, of course, one applies the Selma rule to this situation ….

Comments

I’m sure the republicans thought they were doing ‘outreach’ to the black community, and with just a little more money, they’d buy some friends…..right.

this country is so messed up.

and yeah those republicans sure made a difference when they were running congress….

right…

right4life on June 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM

The beef is that some of that 15 million is my money. I don’t particularly feel good about having money stolen from me to give to a bunch of people that hate my country.

Bill Scrunty on June 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM

God Bless America? Oh, no no no! God Damn America! It’s in da Bible….for killin’ innocent children giving taxpayer dollars to hate-mongers!

malan89 on June 2, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Just because some Republicans do it, too, doesn’t make it okay by any stretch of the imagination. And, yeah, I wish some of them would repent on Sunday and get back to what they were presumably elected to do.

aero on June 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Isn’t this a violation of “shall not establish” a state religion clause in the Constitution?

I don’t want my tax dollars stolen to promote anyone else’s deity.

My own is expensive enough.

Muncho, god of good brew and fine burgers, requiring daily offerings.

profitsbeard on June 2, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Typical liberal.

SouthernGent on June 2, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Bill Scrunty on June 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM

So…how much of Jeremiah Wright’s new house do each of us own?

James on June 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM

“Outreach”?

Pandering.

With my money.

PattyJ on June 2, 2008 at 9:37 PM

ROFL!!!

Made my evening, Allah. While I truly despise Wright and his merry band of race-baiters, slurping from the government trough while berating that same government does not distinguish Trinity in any significant way from a number of nominally Republican groups.

iconoclast on June 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Gee he really should have said “God Bless America” so he’d deserve the 15 mil. Hell, why not say it twice, maybe he’d get 30 million.

Bill Scrunty on June 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM

And given to charitable programs…

crr6 on June 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Federal grant monies. Hmmm, I hope the USDOJ is reading this thread. Because, in all appearances, it sounds like there could be grounds for a Title 31, Federal False Claims Act lawsuit, against TUCC, and their G_d Damned Rev. Wright!

byteshredder on June 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM

What in hell is our government doing giving money to any religious organization? As an evangelical Christian and a true believer in our republican constitution, I am extremely upset at this news.

sondiehl on June 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM

profitsbeard on June 2, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Not if the funds were available regardless of the religious denomination of the recipients.

Many (if not most) religious organizations also have a charitible component- if they’re simply operating a charity that doesn’t discriminate based on religion, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be eligible for the same funding that other secular charities who perform the same functions are.

That said, the notion of giving a hateful nutjob like Wright taxpayer money for any purpose is troubling.

Hollowpoint on June 2, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Amerikkka needs to PAY for it’s sins. Make that out to Rev Wright, please.

Dash on June 2, 2008 at 9:48 PM

$15 million? That seems like a lot, how many churches get $1 million a year from the feds?

WisCon on June 2, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Anybody can say anything about America and still enjoys her money. Isn’t called “Freedom of Speech?”

Well, screw this kind of “freedom of speech.”

Ah, but Indy, that’s what make America unique and greater than other nations.

No, this is bullshit.

And if I was in charge of this country, I would have taught a severe lesson to those sons of biches who dare enjoy my country while in the mean time expressing hate toward her.

If you don’t like it here, leave and make your money somewhere else.

But you won’t because only in America you can be richer and famous.

Only in America, you are allowed to spit on the country that made you rich.

Only in America, cowards like you have the guts to steal people’s money and not be questioned about it.

Only in America, politicians are selling their country for an extra buck.

Only in America law becomes chaos.

Indy Conservative on June 2, 2008 at 9:51 PM

The beef is that some of that 15 million is my money

Racist!!!!

///duh

sunny on June 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM

AHHhhh … Reparations!

Chimp 6 on June 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Wright, Trinity received $15M in taxpayer money from g*ddamn America

I choose the wrong profession. I should have become a crazy preacher instead of a crazy psychiatrist.

Sigy on June 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Want to throw salt on your wounds?

Most churches in America have organized as “501c3 tax-exempt religious organizations.”

Seven Percent Solution on June 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Damn….faith base initiatives/compassionate conservatism done bit faith based/compassionate conservatives in the red hiney.

Sitting on the porch, shotgun across my lap, watching all the ‘true conservatives’ and ‘true Christians’ vent their spleens on this one should be fun. Popcorn?

Limerick on June 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM

I’m sure that the Pro Life Committee at my church would love to have some of that $15 million. We will counsel you no matter what religion you are so I guess we qualify.

Vince on June 2, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I would like a full audit. I want to know if any of our money went to paying for Wright’s new mansion.

SoulGlo on June 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM

You’re all racist.

malan89 on June 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Wright’sanyone’s new mansion.

SoulGlo on June 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM

better

Limerick on June 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Pro Life Committee at my church

Vince on June 2, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Are you kidding??? If my church had a pro life block we would throw them out. There are other faiths for that BS.

sunny on June 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Limerick on June 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM

You’re just clinging to your guns because you’re bitter.

Hollowpoint on June 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM

forgot the tag.

//sarc

sunny on June 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Lets see,FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS OF AMERICAN TAXPAYERS!*

All that free cash,to smack around and besmirch Lady Liberty

Sumpin ain’t right!

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

No one seems to have noticed that the gravy train stopped with the inauguration of George W Bush, even though President Bush pushed “faith based initiatives” heavily.

Buford Gooch on June 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

How do I get $15M for my church?

Do I have to be black?

SaintOlaf on June 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Sumpin ain’t right!

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

A tax code thicker then a Greyhound bus and people are shocked that handouts get gamed? I’m not.

Limerick on June 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Oops,*(canopfor regrets dragging Lady Liberty into
the conversation!) :)

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Do I have to be black?

SaintOlaf on June 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM

No, you just have to hate whites.

sunny on June 2, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Fifteen million taxpayer dollarsssss….
Comin’ home to roost.

jgapinoy on June 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Ed:

True, but how much money came from the state of Illinois? The Prophet Barack was a state senator at that time. It could all be on the up and up, but it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

irishspy on June 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM

When did the mafia expand into organized religion in Chicago? What a stoke of brilliance; move into the church and obtain tax exempt status; a place where cash changes hands; a place where foot soldiers can be easily trained (brainwashed); a place where future leaders of the world can be properly groomed. The prizes are limitless.

Keemo on June 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM

A tax code.
Limerick on June 2,2008 at 10:07PM.

Limerick: I figured if you stick to the main theme,
and add in Lady Liberty,it gets to the point
quicker,like adding salt into the fresh wound!

And,good lord,is your computer on nitros oxide,
I don’t think my comment even traveled to the
site,and you already were answering me,make a
note of this to speed up an airstrike!

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:13 PM

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Remember that alien video the other day?….just sayin :)

Limerick on June 2, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Someone had to pay for Rev Wright’s $1.8m retirement home.

David in ATL on June 2, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Hey,I really don’t mean to jump on the
bandwagon,but how many chickens does
15 mil buy,anyhow?

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:16 PM

I didn’t even know the government funded churches.

So the people who are desperate to get religion out of government are just as desperate to get government INTO churches?

logis on June 2, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Remember that alien video the other day?…jus sayin:)

Limerick on June 2,2008 at 10:15PM.

Limerick: That is Spooky,eh! :)

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Umm..seriously how do I get $15M in government grants for my church?

Do i have to be buddies with a certain muslim presidential candidate?

SaintOlaf on June 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Why can’t the US gubment have a “you’re either for us or agin’ us” policy when it comes to handing out money?

EJDolbow on June 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM

It doesn’t matter if the money came in 2001, or 2007. 1995, or 1926. It is the same DAMN taxcode. I haven’t see ANY administration try to gas that bugger yet. It just gets bigger, and we get skinnier.

Limerick on June 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM

SaintOlaf on June 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Lot’s of explain-n to do for the political heads in Chicago… Wow, this Obama campaign has really shed some light on the Chicago-Illinois scene!

How bout the Chicago Tribune actually doing some sort of job with reporting the local news. Oh,silly me; their probably running the entire show. Pathetic!

Keemo on June 2, 2008 at 10:30 PM

I thought leftards were adamantly against faith based charities?

Blake on June 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I thought leftards were adamantly against faith based charities?
Blake on June 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM

And if you would watch the videos coming out of that church, you would see a message that includes multiple layers of racism, hate and vitriol, as well as telling the faithful who to vote for, but a message that contains very little, if at all – “faith.”

wise_man on June 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Ya know, I would like to see the grant reviews taken a step or two further, to see where the funds actually ended up. “HIV Education” sounds good, but to whom exactly did the money go, and for what?

mikeyboss on June 2, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Typical.

Jaibones on June 3, 2008 at 12:21 AM

I would love for the government to demand to see the books at TUCC and at Pfleger’s church too. Did the millions go for programs or overhead (cars, houses, expenses, etc.)?

I know, I know, I’m a racist.

PattyJ on June 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Faith-based parasitism: how deep can the scolex go?

Akzed on June 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Wrights a jerk – however I cnot judge whats in the hearts of those who used the Federal funds at the church to help the needy – theres alot of good in this world – even in hate filled places

EricPWJohnson on June 3, 2008 at 6:49 AM

“This to me is the future, no boundaries.”
Matt Drudge

Drudge can’t show his face in public with
his brown nose buried so deep up Obama’s ass.

His quote may as well read:
This is me to the future, no boundaries!

maverick muse on June 3, 2008 at 6:53 AM

“HOW DARE YOU!”

offensive defense

maverick muse on June 3, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Look, the bottom line here is that any church that gives their pastor a million-plus dollar mansion to retire in does NOT deserve even a single dollar from the government, and it’s time to send in the repo men to recover what they can from this sham of a church.

How is this not money laundering? I thought it was bad enough when I was under the impression that they fleeced the economically poor members of their church to raise the money for that mansion.

James on June 3, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Folks, seriously.

Religious organizations get federal money every day of the week.

DrSteve on June 3, 2008 at 7:56 AM

The US govt needs better negotiators. I think we could have gotten “Goddamn America” for next to nothing and had “Aids ” and “Chickens coming home to roost” thrown in for free.

moxie_neanderthal on June 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Pass this by me again. Does this mean Sanford and Son are hypocrites?

Don’t you think they should return the money to the federal treasury or, better than that, donate it Chinese earthquake victims and their families?

saved on June 3, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Religious organizations get federal money every day of the week.

DrSteve on June 3, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Ohhhhhhhh…it happens all the time? That makes it different somehow, right? My outrage is misplaced because of the commonplace nature of church embezzlement of government funds to enrich the pastors instead of the charities for which the funds are intended?

Well OK then…thanks for clearing that up for me.

James on June 3, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Linked from the American Thinker piece about Barry’s earmarks to Pfleger, this evidence from Rick Moran about Barry’s direct alliance with the Marxist “New Party” is pretty important, no?

The New Party’s short-term objective was to move the Democratic Party leftward, thereby setting the stage for the eventual rise of new Marxist third party. Most New Party members hailed from the Democratic Socialists of America and the militant organization ACORN. The party’s Chicago chapter also included a large contingent from the Committees of Correspondence, a Marxist coalition of former Maoists, Trotskyists, and Communist Party USA members.

Here’s where Barry came in:

Candidates must be approved via a NP political committee. Once approved, candidates must sign a contract with the NP. The contract mandates that they must have a visible and active relationship with the NP.

By the way, if you want to know why we have a sub prime mortgage crisis, much of the blame can be placed on ACORN itself.

Flexible lending programs expanded even though they had higher default rates than loans with traditional standards. On the Web, you can still find CRA loans available via ACORN with “100 percent financing . . . no credit scores . . . undocumented income . . . even if you don’t report it on your tax returns.” Credit counseling is required, of course.

Of course! ACORN
is there to rescue the people who took out the bad loans they encouraged, blaming “predatory lending”.

This is “liberalism” in a nutshell.

Buy Danish on June 3, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Woops. Here’s the direct link to Rick Moran’s expose’ of Barry’s affiliation with the “New Party”.

Buy Danish on June 3, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Good info Danish, all of this and more can be found at the RezkoWatch.com site. Especially the 6 part report that investigates BHO’s rise to power, the Chicago Way!

el Vaquero on June 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Hey!!!

My Irish ancestors were treated all kinds of racism and bigotry, too.

WHERE’S MY F***ING CHECK??!!???

franksalterego on June 3, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Good work Buy Danish. RezkoWatch.com is a site I frequent each week also. Hugh Hewitt often sends his viewers over there for updates.

Keemo on June 3, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Speaking of 501 (c) 3′s, here is the IRS letter to the TUCoC which clears it of IRS violations. Note however that Obama himself explicitly used the church to campaign for the presidency when he gave his speech, The Politics of Conscience at the church’s annual synod. So while the church was found not to be in violation of the law, Barry (a professor of Constitutional Law) ignored the law.

Buy Danish on June 3, 2008 at 8:56 AM

This is why we have the budget deficit, the national debt, the falling dollar, and declining prestige abroad: too much government wasteful spending.

This is why we need McCain.

indythinker on June 3, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Hollowpoint on June 2, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Shame shame.

Do not end a sentence with a preposition are.

hillbillyjim on June 3, 2008 at 10:56 AM

It’s really outrageous that we’re funding these professional racists and hate mongers with tax money.

landlines on June 3, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Even if every cent is properly spent, the people handing it out are following the “God Damn America” line. Replace “Trinity United Church” with “Ku Klux Klan” and see if you think it is a good thing.

njcommuter on June 3, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Allah, the beef is that Obama’s gonna revoke the Faith Based Initiative and have Trinity return ALL that money they got from taxpayers because it’s not constitutional due to the “separation between Church and State” as enumerated by the Founding Father of the Nation and Democrat Party, Thomas Jefferson.

Sultry Beauty on June 3, 2008 at 4:14 PM

the church does appear to be putting the money towards charitable programs

Well, yes, they provide daycare for 65 kids at $19-$21M per child. Mama mia, that’s some daycare center!

Nichevo on June 3, 2008 at 5:40 PM