British cop warns Christians: Leafletting in Muslim areas is a “hate crime”

posted at 9:16 pm on June 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

Well, no. Not yet, anyway.

The preachers, both ministers in Birmingham, were handing out leaflets on Alum Rock Road in February when they started talking to four Asian youths.

A police community support officer (PCSO) interrupted the conversation and began questioning the ministers about their beliefs.

They said when the officer realised they were American, although both have lived in Britain for many years, he launched a tirade against President Bush and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan…

“He said we were in a Muslim area and were not allowed to spread our Christian message. He said we were committing a hate crime by telling the youths to leave Islam and said that he was going to take us to the police station.”…

West Midlands Police, who refused to apologise, said the incident had been “fully investigated” and the officer would be given training in understanding hate crime and communication.

Funny how British cops keep “misunderstanding” hate crimes laws. I have some legal training myself and after reading this story from April, I’d say the cop here has a pretty firm handle on where the law is headed. Spend some time with that last link and see how far down the road they already are. In America, as far as I know, hate crimes constitutionally can only be charged in connection with another criminal offense. You can’t be charged with hate; you can be charged with assault and have your sentence enhanced if they prove the assault was motivated by hate. Thoughtcrime + actual crime = hate crime, in other words. In the U.K., it sounds like they’re flirting with knocking out that pesky “actual crime” element and just going the whole nine Orwellian yards.

Exit quotation, per the cop: “You have been warned. If you come back here and get beaten up, well you have been warned.” They’re being silenced for their own safety, you see, and if that “logic” sounds distressingly familiar, well, it should. (Bonus nuance: As longtime HA readers know, the cop’s worries about this sort of thing being especially unwelcome in Birmingham are not necessarily unfounded.)

Comments

Some very good comments over in the Headline version of this story.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I can’t for the life of me understand whats going on over there. Are they just cowed by the radical islamists in their midst, or do they really believe that this is a sensible way to think and act?

I have a friend in London who is beginning to find life unbearable because he doesn’t feel at home in his own country anymore.

surrounded on June 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM

They’re being silenced for their own safety, you see

Great commentary AP.

Yes, it’s “We’re going to protect you by taking your rights away. It’s for your own good, so you don’t get hurt.”

Orwellian indeed.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM

The reddest of red meat. Barely warmed on both sides. Almost every day Britain sinks to new depths. My children will never believe this was once a great and powerful nation. Sad, really. Sad to watch a culture that gave us so much in arts and science devolve into dhimmitude and moral poverty.

What can I say? Sell your London vacation home.

Vote Sauron 08 on June 1, 2008 at 9:26 PM

surrounded on June 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM

That is also true today in some parts of the U.S.

JiangxiDad on June 1, 2008 at 9:28 PM

GreatLate Britain…we hardly knew ye. Goodbye old friend.

AUINSC on June 1, 2008 at 9:30 PM

As Britain goes, Canada follows.

bobthepeeler on June 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Notice how they don’t name the cop?

I wonder why that is?

Is it another story like the youths of unknown origin?

Meryl Yourish on June 1, 2008 at 9:36 PM

The first step towards “thought crime” brought to us here in the US by BJ Clinton.

Thanks a lot Billy Jeff.

BowHuntingTexas on June 1, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Sorry folks, it’s already happening here…

fossten on June 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Converting to Islam is a hate crime. Indoctrinating children with Qur’anic scripture is a hate crime. Equating Islam with Judaism and Christianity is a hate crime. Call to prayer in areas where non-Muslims must listen to it is a hate crime.

Connie on June 1, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Is there any leaflets than can be dropped as to
instruct,er warn what leaflets can be dropped!

As an example,the JW leafltes would probably
warrant gettin beaten up done good,but then
theres a grey area!

And the grey area would be,leaflets in the form
of pizza flyers,political flyers,heck are they
going to take offence to a WOMEN reading the gas
meter?

And,so you’ve beem warned,WHAT?

canopfor on June 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Hate crime laws are an infringement of our freedom of thought and expression, and a major milestone on the road to our oppression by PC ‘progressives’. You Republicans who acquiesced to this nonsense best hang on to your lifeboats, for they’ll get you next.

petefrt on June 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Sorry folks, it’s already happening here…

fossten on June 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Fortunately it’s rare, and when it happens it’s usually successfully fought. We don’t roll over here.

And if it comes right down to it, there’s this amendment that comes right after the 1st.

vonspringer on June 1, 2008 at 9:55 PM

petefrt on June 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM

I don’t think there are too many Republicans who believe in hate crime designation. Those who do are wrong.

Connie on June 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM

He was a PCSO — not a real cop. And this is the quality of people they hire for these jobs. Link.

What they don’t say in the story with the ministers is whether the PCSO was muslim or not. I would guess yes.

Blake on June 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM

If the Messiah wins in November you can toss free speech right out the window, the fairness doctrine and progressive definitions newly forged to encompass PC moral relativity will make this site and all who contribute to it criminals. We can look at Europistan as the future, may God have mercy on our souls!

dmann on June 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Archbishop Nazir Ali is proved right. Completely and 100% right. Down to no-go areas for non-Muslims.

Christianity is officially a hate crime in Britain. It’s already an Islamic State. Who would have thought Britain would surrender to Islam before France?

[At least in France, the decision upholding sharia for anulled marriage when the wife is not a virgin, is being challenged by Sarkozy's party with a new law forbidding that stuff.]

whiskey_199 on June 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM

People like that cop won’t be happy until the entire west is in a legal burka.

Just as Muslim women need to be hidden behind reams of dark cloth, so too, do we pesky kuffar need to be hidden – because after all, according to the cop and his ilk, we can’t expect Muslims to control themselves.

rjjago on June 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM

There is a case to be made that the Qur’an teaches hate and incites violence and thus should not be used to teach children in America, as it constitutes child abuse.

Connie on June 1, 2008 at 10:01 PM

By the way,is there a new updated rule book
that tells you,the person that was born in
say America,Canada,or Englandstan!

And all the generations that came before you,
again in your own country as to the upcoming
new rules ,so you,in yor very own country
don’t piss off the newcomers(Muslims)!

This is a never-ending style ongoing power grab
of an ever creeping shari law,much like how
Liberals slowly do there incrementalism,slowly
you have a new law or right after they chip away
at it,but in this case,Muslims are using a sharp
axe!

canopfor on June 1, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Then let’s round up all the mullahs who demand that everyone else must convert to islam and charge them with hate crimes.

Blake on June 1, 2008 at 10:03 PM

So our own personal Allah is balding and has ‘legal training’. We will find you one day, you magnificent bastard!

But in this case, I call shannagans! If it did happen, it is the future of England. If it didn’t, it is just anti muslim propaganda (heh, my spell checker will only accept a Capitol “M” for muslim).
I have nothing against the muslim religion other than that it promotes violence. Call me what you will, but that shit just ain’t right

lsutiger on June 1, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Sounds to me like it was the PCSO who was doing the hating. When will he be brought up on charges?

taznar on June 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Hate crime isn’t “thought crime” + real crime. Intent is very much an integral part of the crime. I don’t know if I support having such a broad, vague and misleading label for a fairly narrow range of intents but I don’t think “hate crime” is a politically correct construct.

I agree though that a cultural awakening is in order in Britain. One could argue that I would be “asking for it” if I went to Harlem and started saying to people “I’m sorry but I don’t really like the black culture” (I purposefully avoid giving a 100% insult as an example). My understanding is that doing that is perfectly legal but probably stupid. I guess the cop sort of thought his was an analogous situation.

Which is why it is important before we talk about legal issues, to take a firm moral stand and say that violence for handing out Bibles is unacceptable and inexcusable.

freevillage on June 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM

If it didn’t, it is just anti muslim propaganda

I meant anti-christian propaganda

lsutiger on June 1, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Hahaha…well, keep looking for a bald Zionist in New York…you can’t go wrong.

Oh, and with all of credibilty that you’ve displayed in your post…and the non-violent approach you’ve just made to Allah…well, I’m on your side…ok, not so much…in that case, I blame your spell checker :-)

AUINSC on June 1, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Been to Minnesota lately, anyone?

SouthernGent on June 1, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Been to Minnesota lately, anyone?

SouthernGent on June 1, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, know exactly what you mean. The place is a shithole.

cjs1943 on June 1, 2008 at 10:23 PM

This is a never-ending style ongoing power grab
of an ever creeping shari law,much like how
Liberals slowly do there incrementalism,slowly
you have a new law or right after they chip away
at it,but in this case,Muslims are using a sharp
axe!

canopfor on June 1, 2008 at 10:01 PM

The danger is in the “progressive” desire to destroy conservatives at any cost. An informal alliance or a marriage of convenience will unfortunately cascade into the destruction of The Bill of Rights, at which point the Kumbaya crowd will wonder why The Ghutra and The Hijab are mandatory!

All Hail the destruction of America!

dmann on June 1, 2008 at 10:25 PM

The PCSO is pictured here:

Naeem Naguthney

Prepare to shocked

Bill Brasky on June 1, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Bill Brasky on June 1, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Well, of course.

Connie on June 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.” John 15:18-19

You do have to wonder how long it will be till this crosses the pond. Or as other’s have pointed out…maybe it has?

brotherbell on June 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Understatement of the decade.

awake on June 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM

God Help the Queen.

ZK on June 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Remind me again, but doesn’t England like, you know, have an official religion? The last time I checked it wasn’t Islam.
/Last time I checked like I said.

Just A Grunt on June 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM

The evangelists say they were threatened with arrest for committing a “hate crime” and were told they risked being beaten up if they returned. (from the article)

Hate crime legislation has no purpose other than to destroy free speech. And the evangelists were threatened with being both arrested and being beat up if they returned. I guess if they would have been beat up somehow that would not have been a “hate crime.”

See how “hate crime” laws work? So called “hate crime” laws need to be struck down wherever they are found.

Maxx on June 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I was looking for hate in all the wrong places
Looking for hate in too many faces
Searching your eyes, looking for traces
Of what.. I’m despising of…
Hopin’ to find a infidel and a Jew
Allah akbar the day I discover
Another head to sever, lookin’ for hate

By Wailin Abu Mohammad Mustafa

Kini on June 1, 2008 at 10:59 PM

dmann on June 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Not that I disagree with that statement….
But I find it Ironic that ONLY ONE of the candidates has actually written and successfully passed legislation that unconstitutionally limits our First Amendment rights….

And it ‘ain’t’ Obama.

LegendHasIt on June 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Bill Brasky on June 1, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Thanks for the link. Notable excerpt:

Mr Naguthney, 30, was recruited as a community support officer last year after being unemployed for eight months.

Earlier this year, he had a prominent role at a conference to launch the West Midlands branch of the National Association of Muslim Police. He gave a reading from the Koran before the audience heard a recorded contribution from Gordon Brown, a speech from Home Office Minister Tony McNulty, and contributions from several chief constables.

“National Association of Muslim Police”? What kind of law do you think they enforce?

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Maxx on June 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Luke 19:30, Jesus said, “Bring it.”
[Yes, I know, this is not hermeneutically correct.]

I agree 100%. The key though is to argue using the same terms that the liberals use to pass such legislation. When they say, “we need to protect people based upon sexual preference, race, etc.” we need to respond by asking, “great, then why not the elderly, military, off-duty cops, etc.” or “what about current law doesn’t already protect them?” We can only attack the proposed legislation on its own merits, not on what we perceive their intentions to be (unless, of course, they tell us their intentions.)

Send_Me on June 1, 2008 at 11:14 PM

They said when the officer realised they were American, although both have lived in Britain for many years, he launched a tirade against President Bush and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Well that quote and the fact that Naeem is a “youth” about explains it. It is a tragedy what liberalism has done to England. It will wreak the same havoc on these United States if we let it.

bigbeas on June 1, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Same type of problem in Canada. Stems from not integrating immigrants. Problem is that it isn’t a law that is applied to everyone across the board.

Never much liked the term “Hate Speech”, because now it’s just a clever tool to shut people up with whom you disagree.

Krydor on June 1, 2008 at 11:21 PM

From the headlines comments:

I hate “hate crimes”.

What’s my sentence?

(Other than declarative.)

profitsbeard on June 1, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I just had to repeat that…it’s great.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 11:30 PM

freevillage on June 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM

How this is done in the U.K. is beyond my grasp. When I am continually assaulted by Islam-o-supremacy and those that ideologically argue theory whilst discounting the historical record I do indeed become somewhat reactive and try to find solace in history, “forgive them for they know not what thay are doing”….Liberals are guilty of this ignorance, the Islam-o-facists are not and will tool the fool of progressive dogma until their objectives are realized.

dmann on June 1, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Time for a Movie,forget the,”Set in the Future”,heck
its real time,now!

Women are hauled off the streets,for taking their
sunglasses off,men disappear for having no beards!

Here’s the opening,as everyones praying,camera pans
around,and then the swish of the axe!

How about it Hollywood,any balls out there?

canopfor on June 1, 2008 at 11:37 PM

“West Midlands Police” = the same police who made that silly claim about the channel four documentary taking imams words “out of context” and recently had to apologise.
(Plus, that was all caused by a guy who got to his position in the police by complaining about racism.)

So glad I don’t live in the West Midlands. (I live in Hampshire, in a nice, small conservative town :p)

The police here in Britain have become an entirely politically correct force (in fact, it’s not even a police force, it’s a police service, because of PCism), and they (the police) are becoming despised by average folk. Blame Labour, they are the cause of it, entirely. They’ve crippled the police.

Some of you may like Tony Blair for his position on the Iraq War, but if you think he’s a good leader, you apparently have no clue what he has actually been doing to Britain.

MattMacD on June 1, 2008 at 11:43 PM

I, or rather the Lord, beseech you as Christ’s heralds to publish this everywhere and to persuade all people of whatever rank, foot-soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid promptly to those Christians and to destroy that vile race from the lands of our friends. I say this to those who are present, it is meant also for those who are absent. Moreover, Christ commands it.
- Pope Urban II

I just can’t get enough of Pope Urban II. His words are so inspiring that they give me goose bumps.

MB4 on June 1, 2008 at 11:44 PM

canopfor on June 1, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Not a sack in sight!

dmann on June 1, 2008 at 11:44 PM

A police officer’s saying that should be considered to be tantamount to him handing in his letter of resignation, which should be promptly accepted.

MB4 on June 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM

MB4 on June 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM

… which would never happen. Then they’d be accused of racism. That makes them cry in bed at night, so they’ll avoid it at any cost.

MattMacD on June 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM

not a sack in sight!
dmann on June 1,2008 at 11:44PM.

dmann: Ha Ha,don’t laugh,I had to think for a second!

BTW,that would be some sack! :)

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 12:08 AM

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Eastwood would do it….”well Islam-o-punk, was that 4 Jdams or 5, being this is a F15E Stike Eagle….”

dmann on June 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM

An attempt at saving Muslims from going to HELL and then to the Lake of Fire is a hate crime? Let them go straight to Hell then.

DfDeportation on June 2, 2008 at 12:15 AM

If witnessing your faith to strangers is a crime, it’s a love crime. If Christians hated unbelievers, the hatingest thing to do would be to keep our beliefs a secret, and hope that the hated unbelievers didn’t find out.
Hate crimes legislation requires us to hate our neighbor, by denying them what we believe is eternal life-saving truth. For those who must obey God rather than men, it’s wrong to obey such laws.

NellE on June 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Hmmmm. Who wants to bet me that the police community support officer (PCSO) wasn’t a local Muslim enforcing his own personal Sharia on his religious enemies?

Tantor on June 2, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Eastwood…
dmann on June 2,2008 at 12:14PM.

dmann: Lets update Eastwood!

Eastwood rides into town,a hum,on a *Camel,gunslingers
the bad guys(Cause they wore black hats)shoot up around
Eastwoods Camel,falls off and demands they a hum,apologize
to said Camel!

*(canopfor regrets,besmirching the great Clint Eastwood,
and his camel,and at this late hour,anyone who dreams
later of having Eastwoods Camel that was shot from
under him,and any nightmares that it might entail!
Ha Ha :)

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Why, if the police are afraid to enter these neighborhoods, don’t they send in their version of the national guard to maintain their national sovereignty and self-respect as a nation?

In Brussels, in the 90s, during a business trip, we were lost in such a neighborhood and it was really frightening. It has gotten worse, and this exists in just about every major Western European city.

Entelechy on June 2, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Eastwood rides into town,a hum,on a *Camel,gunslingers
the bad guys(Cause they wore black hats)shoot up around
Eastwoods Camel,falls off and demands they a hum,apologize
to said Camel!

canopfor on June 2, 2008 at 12:28 AM

MWNN: (To the local mortician) Get three coffins ready.

MWNN: I don’t think it’s nice, you laughin’. See, my camel don’t like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you’re laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you’re going to, I might convince him that you really didn’t mean it . . . . . . .
. . . . .
BRITISH COP: I saw the whole thing. You killed all four of them. You’ll pay all right. You’ll be prosecuted for a hate crime!.

MWNN: (Draws gun again) Who are you?

BRITISH COP: I’m John Thomas, British police officer.

MWNN: Yeah, well, if you’re a British police officer, you’d better get off your ass and get those men underground. (Lowers poncho and walks off, passing the local mortician.) My mistake. Four coffins.

Tuco on June 2, 2008 at 1:18 AM

This is the precursor of “pre-crime” that the mordant sci-fi prophet Philip K. Dick predicted in “Minority Report”.

(He used people who were naturally precognitive in his fantasy, but the Brits are skipping that step and just pretending they’re psychic.)

Those who say:
We’re arresting you to make sure no crime is committed

should be committed.

profitsbeard on June 2, 2008 at 1:56 AM

I’ll tell you all this for your information: I live in a part of the UK which has a relatively small Muslim population. On a parents evening at my children’s (non-denominational) school I noticed in my daughter’s Religious Education exercise book she had written a page about Islam (copied off a blackboard) which had referred to Mohammed by name adding the letters “PBUH” in brackets (ie. “Peace Be Upon Him”) and had written the phrase “The Qu’ran is a gift from God” – completely unqualified by any statement such as “Muslims believe that…” but written as if it were fact. My daughter told me her teacher (a Protestant Christian woman) wrote this on the blackboard and she simply copied it. My complaint with the school is ongoing but a conversation with the headmistress was revealing in that she defended this by citing that the school had a duty to counter “racism” (what has this got to do with race, I asked) and she also virtually told me off, that it was the school’s job to teach children that “all religions are of equal worth”.
I mention this to show the state of play in a state school in the UK with (to my knowledge) no Muslim children or staff in light of the difficulty these two gentlemen have had in talking about Christianity in a “Muslim area” (note the territorial claim in that statement – not for the first time). The worst of it? It appears the vast majority of the non-Muslim population here simply don’t care enough to be bothered to complain.

schiehallion on June 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM

British cop warns Christians: Leafletting in Muslim areas is a “hate crime”

posted at 9:16 pm on June 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

I think the title of this topic should be:

British cop warns Christians:

“You are not allowed to live in the United Kingdom.”

Indy Conservative on June 2, 2008 at 2:06 AM

In Israel they already have some thought crimes in the penal code, including “insulting religious belief” (which was never applied on insulting Judaism, but applied numerous times on insulting Islam).

Aristotle on June 2, 2008 at 3:12 AM

Revenge of the Scots.

OldEnglish on June 2, 2008 at 4:10 AM

schiehallion on June 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM,

That’s an enraging story. Do the authorities think Heavens Gate people, Fred Phelps’ cult and the polygymist freaks in Texas have equal worth? They would probably call them cults, but how exactly do you decide what’s a cult and what’s a religion. Numbers of believers isn’t enough to qualify by itself. Value judgments need to made made at some point.

BTW, the Danish Embassy in Islamabad got bombed – at least 8 dead.

forest on June 2, 2008 at 7:16 AM

British cop warns Christians:

“You are not allowed to live in the United Kingdom.”

soon it will be:

You are not allowed to live

right4life on June 2, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Blake on June 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM

You’re right. PCSOs are cops like paramedics are doctors. Actually, while that comparison is technically correct, it’s deeply unfair to paramedics. I’d be very happy to see a paramedic turn up in a bad situation, but I wouldn’t say the same about a PCSO. Also, they don’t hire kids to be paramedics. PCSOs don’t even have powers of arrest, the best they can do is keep a suspect where he is until a real cop shows up. This means that his threat to take them to the police station was empty posturing.

This isn’t really a story about British police being in thrall to Islam; it’s a story about the inadequacy of PCSOs. Of course, if you want stories about British police forces covering for Islamic radicals, they’re out there.

Entelechy on June 2, 2008 at 12:45 AM

There’s no equivalent of the Posse Comitatus Act in the UK, so the regular army does that kind of job (think Northern Ireland, and the army also provide cover whenever firefighters go on strike). The British equivalent of the National Guard is just a reserve force. But, to answer your question; the police aren’t afraid for their safety, they’re afraid to do their job. They don’t want to “antagonise the community”. Of course, this has the effect of alienating Muslims even more from the rest of society, and allows jihadist types to have ever greater influence.

jic on June 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Here is their web based contact form:

Here is their email address:

contactus@west-midlands.police.uk

dm60462 on June 2, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Hate crimes are mind boggling. To say that a crime against one person is worse because of the victim’s color or religion is saying that the same crime against a white christian isn’t as bad because you are, well, a white christian….yknow a 2nd class citizen. If you get gang raped it’s not as bad because you’re white, sorry.

Alden Pyle on June 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM

schiehalliona: “… conversation with the headmistress was revealing in that she defended this by citing that the school had a duty to counter “racism” (what has this got to do with race, I asked) and she also virtually told me off, that it was the school’s job to teach children that “all religions are of equal worth”.”

Ask the dimwitted headmistress if the Aztec religion was of equal worth when the Aztecs sacrificed humans on top of their pyramids and offer their hearts up to Huitzilopochtli, the Sun God. Was the religion of thuggee of equal worth when the Thugs strangled travellers in honor of the goddess, Kali? Are Muslims of equal worth when they maintain a doctrine of jihad that blows innocent people into bloody chunks around the world from New York to Bali?

Islam is a barbarous religion which propagates murderous intolerance for anything outside it. It deserves our contempt.

Tantor on June 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Well, Yeah, that also will be part of the school curriculum when Aztlan becomes fact.

LegendHasIt on June 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM