Breaking: Obamas quit Trinity United Church of Christ

posted at 6:26 pm on May 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

According to Ace o’ Spades and The Corner, CNN reports that Barack and Michelle Obama have resigned from the congregation of the radical church to which they have belonged for over 20 years. If confirmed, the move attempts to end two months of controversy surrounding the commentary at TUCC by Jeremiah Wright, Michael Pfleger, and Otis Moss.

I’ll come back with more commentary once the details have been reported. However, I don’t see how this helps, and it could hurt in two different ways. First, it confirms that the church is not in the mainstream, which once again calls his judgment into question. Wright and Pfleger gave these kinds of sermons there the entire time, not just over the last few weeks. The big problem is that the Obamas sat in that church for 20 years listening to these sermons and finding nothing objectionably about them until they got disseminated to the nation.

Second, and potentially more damaging, it shows Obama’s willingness to throw anyone over the side when the boat starts sinking. That won’t go over very well with his core supporters who have admired his loyalty to TUCC, who excused Wright by pointing out that he had retired, and who bought Obama’s explanation of the “wonderful community” and great works of TUCC. Is that now nothing more than a convenient lie?

If the Obamas quit TUCC, they will confirm it as a political problem, and the act won’t convince anyone that they disagree with its rhetoric. They may convince people that he only joined TUCC for its political connections in Chicago — but that doesn’t exactly reflect well on Obama, either.

Update: Here’s the story at CNN, and it’s interesting why Obama quit:

“We don’t want to have to answer for everything that’s stated in the church,” the Democratic front-runner said. “We also don’t want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes.”

Obama said the Pfleger controversy made it clear that, as long as he remained a member of the Trinity congregation, remarks from the pulpit would be “imputed” to him, even if they conflicted with his personal views.

So he’s leaving because he doesn’t want TUCC to get further scrutiny, and not because he wants to distance himself from the radical nature of the church.  That’s not exactly a profile in courage.  Let’s recall what Obama said just ten weeks ago about his membership at Trinity:

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way….

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

This reaction combines the worst of both worlds — it says nothing that rejects the radical rhetoric, and it makes clear that he’s only interested in the political burden that Trinity now represents.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

1,2, & 5 rhyme
3,4 rhyme

Bum
Sum
Dog
Frog
Yum

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Obama is free,free at last,sing it to the mountains!

canopfor on May 31, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I think that the first will be Mount Arafat.

Annar on May 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Annar on May 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Mt. Hood

fogw on May 31, 2008 at 10:57 PM

how’s Canada..
Entelechy on May 31,2008 at 10:39PM.

Entelechy: So far everything is tikkity boo,and the woes,
I’m only a concerned nieghbour,wishing only the
best,eh!

But I’ll tell you,five months ago,I learn that
every single State is voting in the primarys!

And I’m thinking,good lord,I better do a pre-
flight check,this is goung to be a long flight
to November the third! haha :)

canopfor on May 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Will the media now retract all the trashing of Hillary when she said Rev. Wright “would not have been my pastor”? Is Barack still more principled than she?

rockmom on May 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM

He can no more give up his church than a family member.
I’m sure someone posted it here. I smell desperation perspiration.

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Is he going to finally admit that he was just using that fake Christian church to garner political support in chicago?

Is he finally going to tell the truth about his status as a member of the nation of islam?

SaintOlaf on May 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM

His personal views eh? Which are……? Anyone? C’mon, he and his family went to that freaking church for 20 years! I think we know quite well what his personal views are.

4shoes on May 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Bum
Sum
Dog
Frog
Yum

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I understand now but will have to try again another time, you will all be glad to hear.

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

What’s up with page 4? (Error 404)

baldilocks on May 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Ed,

I think there is a bigger problem for Obbama if you watched his presser from SD. He came off as clearly uncomfortable that he was leaving Trinity but the real story is that he came off as an inarticulate idiot unable to answer the simplest of questions without long pauses. He is so clearly unready for primetime it makes me wonder if the Clinton camp had something to do with the timing of all this!

highhopes on May 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

It’s all good now.

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 11:07 PM

He can no more give up his church than a family member.

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 10:59 PM

There goes the Abraham Lincoln-like speech, heh Kini?

Messiah

Judas

fogw on May 31, 2008 at 11:08 PM

I think that the first will be Mount Arafat.
Annar on May 31,2008 at 10:55PM.

Annar: Well,when he’s up there,rumour has it,that
Noah’s Ark is there,he can use it as a
lifeboat! Hehe :)

canopfor on May 31, 2008 at 11:09 PM

The Telegraph is stating that Edwards gets the AG nod, and Biden (not a typo) gets State…..?????

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I think that’s Mount Ararat…mounting Arafat hasn’t been possible for quite some time now.

James on May 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM

highhopes on May 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

This issue is so not over, and I am stunned that any thinking political junkie would believe it is. Seems like the left is operating on wishful thinking there.

And this newest kerfuffle with Eminem Pflogger and Obama running away from it is the clear evidence that he completely misjudged the issue, despite his great judgment.

So, all is smiles and giggles for the GOP tonight.

We’ll find Pflogger’s body in a Chicago alley in the morning, as Obambi’s muscle takes their revenge for his idiotic little hissy fit. Little Richie wants a President, damnit, and no Catholic priest with racial, gender, and theological identity issues is going to stand in the way.

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM

James on May 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Nice, but I think that was the joke.

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 11:15 PM

James on May 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM

ROFLMAO

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Judas

fogw on May 31, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Pieces of silver in exchange for the POTUS.

Once thing for certain, we’re finding more about just who he is.
And we don’t have to wonder about any skeletons in his closet, because they’re alive and well at the pulpit.

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM

You could throw a water balloon off the roof of the Watergate Hotel and hit two people more qualified for those positions.

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Can one throw an entire church under the bus?

Yes We Can!

So many people thrown under that bus, the roadside is becoming a Fuddrucker’s!

newton on May 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Edwards as AG…….Robespierre reborn.

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM

I think that’s Mount Ararat…
James on May 31,2008 at 11:14PM.

James: Damm!t,wrong Mountian! :)

canopfor on May 31, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Woohoo….Joe Biden, John Edwards, Hillary Clinton….how the hell is that Change We Can Believe In???

rockmom on May 31, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Yes We Can!

So many people thrown under that bus, the roadside is becoming a Fuddrucker’s!

newton on May 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM

This election is giving buses a bad name. And that makes me cranky.

wccawa on May 31, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Hey Kini,
The problem is his delusioned followers don’t care about his skeletons.

Nice, but I think that was the joke.

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 11:15 PM

It flew right over my head but I’m slow like that. heh

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:22 PM

This so-called Trinity United “Church” has about as much to do with Christ, as global warming does with science.

labrat on May 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM

* good lord,there is no Arafat Mountain !

*(canopfor regrets any besmirchment to any
mountains that have been offended!) haha.

canopfor on May 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM

The problem is his delusioned followers don’t care about his skeletons.

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:22 PM

abinitioadinfinitum! How are you, long time no hear.
You are right about his followers following a false prophet.
No amount of truth will change the mind of the weak.

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:29 PM

A little off topic, but more drama for the DEMS. The old hag in this video probably says the smartest thing I have heard all year: “I can be called white, but you can’t be called black…” AMEN. About time white DEMS say what ALL of the GOP has been thinking for years….

CapitalistPig on May 31, 2008 at 11:30 PM

*(canopfor regrets any besmirchment to any
mountains that have been offended!) haha.

canopfor on May 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Don’t worry, mountains are bigger than that.

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Yes, it’s been a time,
I’ve been good and have some good news for you. I heard they are going to brew Shclitz beer again. :)
How was Dinner? I had Tacos. heh

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:34 PM

I can be called white

CapitalistPig on May 31, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Cracker, honky among other names. Just try repeating some of the rap lyrics being white.

Ah, do declare!

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Rumsfeld Obama said it was just a few rotten apples, not the policy of the government church,’

DfDeportation on May 31, 2008 at 9:21 PM

FTFY

yakwill83 on May 31, 2008 at 11:37 PM

CapitalistPig on May 31, 2008 at 11:30 PM

NOFX

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Ed or Allah, I think you could make a blockbuster post out of video of Obama talking about how some Catholic churches don’t approve of homosexuality…and contrast it with video of another Obama spiritual mentor James Meeks just bashing homosexuals worse than St. Olaf could ever imagine.

I’m stunned he couldn’t even come up with an example that didn’t open him up for examination of another troubling pastor.

funky chicken on May 31, 2008 at 11:42 PM

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!
Try that in Chicago!

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM

abinitioadinfinitum

Oh, and Hulihuli Hawaiian style grilled chicken with grilled pineapple and jasmine rice! :)

Kini on May 31, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!

I loved that show.
and I knew you ate better and more healthy than myself :)

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Obama’s latest bus-throwing-under has inspired me to make a new cartoon.

If any of you have any additional ideas, just let me know!

Gilda on May 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM

James on May 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Au contraire. Taxidermy, baby!

mikeyboss on May 31, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Obama to Michelle:

We’re gonna need a bigger bus.”

profitsbeard on May 31, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Gilda on May 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Awesome!!

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Gilda, techno_barbarian wanted you to have his latest creation.

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Good Night All,
good to hear you Kini.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I see that Lim’s and Miss E’s limericks broke page four temporarily. Typical drunk people. :-P

baldilocks on June 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Maybe Clinton/Obama is in the making?

mred on May 31, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Hmmmmm

funky chicken on June 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Gilda, did you see these?

abinitioadinfinitum on June 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Chickens . . . coming home . . .with another excuse or was that to roost? Unprecedented in a presidential race and shows him to be a weasel. Maybe time for another speech on racism about grandma.

koolbrease on June 1, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Gilda, techno_barbarian wanted you to have his latest creation.

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM

techno_barbarian has done some outstanding work here! Please check it out if you haven’t yet.

We have some real talent here among us. I’m committed to doing as much as I can with whatever skills I’ve got. Please let me take this opportunity to encourage others to do the same.

If I can help just let me know.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 12:19 AM

baldilocks on June 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Besoffen :)

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Gilda, did you see these?

abinitioadinfinitum on June 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM

I did, thanks, but only after the contest closed. Some good stuff there.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM

(forgive me if this ends up as a double post – first one never showed up – ?)

Gilda, techno_barbarian wanted you to have his latest creation.

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM

If I can help just let me know.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Gilda, techno_barbarian wanted you to have his latest creation.

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM

I tried to reply but I think I may have had too many links and my 2 attempts failed. ?

In any case, excellent work by techno_barbarian. More, please!

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM

labrat on May 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Well Stated!!!!!

highhopes on June 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

highhopes on May 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

You can bet Hillary had something to do with this…somehow she managed to make this part of the DNC deal. Maybe indirectly, by enough superdelegates saying they couldn’t even consider supporting him as long as he remained connected to that church.

The Obama press conference idea was great thing for Hillary.
Obama has shown time and time again that he can’t think on his feet…he’s nothing when he doesn’t have a prepared speech to deliver. He’s a great orator only when someone else gives him the words to say.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM

W hite visiting priest bad mouthing Hillery/white folks.
Looking into camera as he performs loud and clear.
And a nice little touch–closing the large holy book–all over folks. And it was swallowed-hook, line and sinker.
What a performance–maybe the priest will get an academy award. Just the thing for an exit out of the church that looks like too much of a problem for Barry to cope with until the POTUS is secured. Then after a couple days the vidio is sent to You-Tube and walla–the letter was sent sometime back resigning from the church. Very neat package.

dragondrop on June 1, 2008 at 1:10 AM

So it took allowing a white man in for Obama to quit his church? How fitting.

Rbastid on June 1, 2008 at 1:13 AM

“Gilda, techno_barbarian wanted you to have his latest creation.

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM”

In any case, excellent work by techno_barbarian. More, please!

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Thanks Entel! Mrs B and I are on the road right now traveling through the heartland and this is the first decent internet connection I’ve been able to get in a couple of days.

And Gilda, I wanted to thank you for your ideas and encouragement!

Gotta get some sleep now.

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Oh, and Gilda, great work on the new Waffle Express piece!

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM

anyone have a link to the Q and A part of the presser?
msnbc only has the part where he talks. No questions allowed on the Obama network.

ArmyAunt on June 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM

ArmyAunt on June 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM

bnelson44 on June 1, 2008 at 1:30 AM

FINE. All he really has to answer for is:
with his piss-poor judgement, which kept him in those pews for 20 years, what would make anyone, anywhere in America think Obama should guide and defend this country for the next four years?!

Lockstein13 on June 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM

The Obama press conference idea was great thing for Hillary.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM

I’m not a Democrat. I hate John McCain as “other guy” but I gotta tell you if Obama’s presser today is any indication, cranky old liberal bastard will win this election where nobody likes who they are voting for.

Even with half votes for MI and FL, Hillary Clinton and Obama have LEGITIMATE cases as to why they should be the nominee. The result will be the same- two candidates running for an office where neither enjoys real support from the electorate. This year’s election is 1976 all over again.

highhopes on June 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM

bnelson44 on June 1, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Thanks bnelson. I’m hoping the Catholic bashing is enough to really get Bill Bennett, Hannity, Ingraham, Malkin, and even O’Reilly up in arms. This guy sat in the pews, and took his children to learn their faith at TUCC….but says he’d be uncomfortable in many RC churches because of their intolerance.

That’s some major league audacity right there. Perhaps chutzpah would be a better choice of words.

Poor Douglas Kmiec, who believed that Obama respected his staunchly RC influenced positions on issues.

funky chicken on June 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Oh, and Gilda, great work on the new Waffle Express piece!

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Thank you. Let’s us both – and all interested others – use the skills we have to further our mutually-beneficial cause.

Weird thing is, the Obama camp thinks it’s got a monopoly on artistic talent and artist support. They’re wrong. Oh how wrong they are. I’ll be happy to demonstrate this at every possible turn.

Heh.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Barry and Wright – at Trinity
Hating on whitey with no sympathy
Then came Pfleger who dissed Hillary
Under the bus they all went,
as Hillary smiled with glee!

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Barry and Wright in sync at Trinity
Hating on whitey with no sympathy
Then came Pfleger who dissed Hillary
Under the bus they all went, the whole kit and cabutlery
As Hillary by this time quite drunk took a pee!

MB4 on June 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

*audible fart*

That’s what I think about this “shocking news”. I’m pulling out my who-gives-a-rats-@$$ bubble gum and beginning to chew.

Any minimally observant person could have called this a month ago. The fact that the priest douchbag made an a__ of himself was at least staged or at best serendipity for BHO.

BHO needs to be thumped for his socialist policies and not the FACT that he was raised, politically, in what is tantamount to an American version of a madrassa for the last twenty years.

Claypigeon on June 1, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Claypigeon on June 1, 2008 at 2:39 AM

TUCC is a black liberation theology church which is some weird bizarro mix of Marxism and Christianity. Considering the roots of black liberation theology doesn’t his attendance in this vile place help to shine a light on his socialist ways?

NotCoach on June 1, 2008 at 2:43 AM

It’s over, hit the music. PRESIDENT JOHN SYDNEY MCCAIN

life is grand, god bless our victorious troops in Iraq.

THE CHOSEN ONE on June 1, 2008 at 2:46 AM

Claypigeon on June 1, 2008 at 2:39 AM

You got some of it right. Black Liberation Theology is Racist Bullshit. TUCC is Political, not Religion of any Christian mindset.

Their Tax Exempt status needs to be removed.

Thanks!

old trooper on June 1, 2008 at 2:53 AM

one word. wow! oh wait a second.

Mormon Doc on June 1, 2008 at 2:57 AM

This will hurt him in the general, but he still has the nomination wrapped up. I am convinced that the people still supporting him up until now would only cease if did something like hug W on live TV.

McCain will likely win by picking up the Hillary-or-bust crowd…and I believe Hillary will do what she can behind the scenes to thwart Obama because you know she is looking to 2012.

WisCon on June 1, 2008 at 3:10 AM

We need a full explanation from would be first lady Michelle Heinz Obama on this matter, and as soon as possible.

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 3:26 AM

It’s over, hit the music. PRESIDENT JOHN SYDNEY MCCAIN

life is grand, god bless our victorious troops in Iraq.

THE CHOSEN ONE on June 1, 2008 at 2:46 AM

I can’t express how much I hope you’re right. McCain wasn’t my first choice but he sure is now.

I would never have supported Hillary against any of the Republican contenders (except possibly Huckabee) but if she had won the presidency I would have at least considered her (or Biden, or Richardson) among the principled opposition – in other words, fellow Americans with whom I disagree.

Obama, though – for whatever reason, I just can’t shake the feeling that he’s fundamentally on the other side. It’s not because of race, no matter how much the Obama camp wishes it was, it’s an issue of core ideology. Obama suffers fools and racists and Marxists and anti-Semites and anti-Americans gladly; in fact he counts them as his closest friends and mentors.

That goes way beyond principled disagreement. A man who belonged to a vile racist organization like Jeremiah Wright’s church for 20 years cannot possibly adequately represent me or my country.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM

This was in this morning’s Trib..

“Saying he had prayed about the decision, Obama said he and his wife, Michelle, had for “quite some time” discussed the possibility of leaving the church.”

What a parasite.

LtE126 on June 1, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Amateur psychology: The perpetual white/black struggle inside Obama gets played out publicly once more.

As a young adult, he chooses his African side, then marries an African-American woman, joins a radical black church, and lives as a black man.

Now, he jettisons the black church and community it represents, and tries to go it alone as a white guy. In some ways, you gotta feel sorry for him, being so conflicted.

So what’s his strategy now? Win the dem. nomination and general election without working class whites, jews, woman, and urban blacks. Fucking brilliant.

We’re not only witnessing the destruction of a nominee and his campaign, we’re witnessing the destruction of the carefully crafted individual Barack Obama created. Someone new is going to emerge out of this someday, but that person will have to stand on his own two feet, instead of choosing one community or another to prop him up.

Good luck Obama. When you become a real person with genuine beliefs, look us up.

JiangxiDad on June 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Can I just say, as a woman, Barack Obama becomes less and less “manlly” all the time.

I have no feeling whatsoever that this man can keep my children safe.

EJDolbow on June 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM

The relationship between Obama, a one-time community activist on Chicago’s South Side, and the outspoken priest at the activist St. Sabina Church has been a long one.

As a state senator, Obama secured two grants related to Pfleger’s church – one for $100,000 to repair The Ark community center at the church in 2000 and the other for $125,000 for computers at the church’s employment resource center.

For his part, Pfleger, 59, has donated $1,500 to Obama’s campaigns for state office and another $1,500 to his presidential campaign.

Aides say Obama has rarely visited St. Sabina, although he cited Pfleger, along with Wright, as one of his spiritual advisers in a 2004 Chicago Sun-Times story. Pfleger helped Obama’s Iowa campaign by taking part in a faith forum.

Pfleger has invited criticism with his words and actions in the past, even before Sunday’s fiery sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ.

He has hit the streets, sometimes with busloads of parishioners in tow, to protest Jerry Springer’s television show, stores that sell drug paraphernalia and gun violence. He’s been arrested for acts of civil disobedience, such as smearing red paint on alcohol and tobacco billboards. Last year, he and the Rev. Jesse Jackson were arrested during a protest of a suburban gun shop; charges were later dropped.

Pfleger’s fight to make the community safe is an intensely personal one. He’s adopted three children, one of whom was gunned down near the church in 1998.

Pfleger has urged parishioners to pay prostitutes and drug users so they could share their faith with them. He has offered his church as a place where controversial figures can express their views. Farrakhan spoke there, as did the Rev. Al Sharpton.

At times, there has been talk of diocesan officials reassigning Pfleger, but he is immensely popular in his parish and has helped it thrive over the past quarter-century as many other congregations have struggled.

In March, as Wright’s inflammatory comments were making national headlines, St. Sabina gave Wright a hero’s welcome after Pfleger invited him to give the benediction.

And in early May, Pfleger posted a letter on the parish Web site calling Obama and Wright “two friends who I respect, admire and have a deep love for.” He wrote that neither man should be held accountable for the other’s words.

“The truth is we need Senator Barack Obama and we need Reverend Jeremiah Wright and, if we are serious about wanting a new America, we cannot afford to throw either one of them under the bus!”

Also coming out of Chicago is this story http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080530/us_nm/chicago_police_dc

Obama’s campaign has shed some light with the “goings on” in Chicago town. Kinda reminds me of the roaring 20′s.

Keemo on June 1, 2008 at 8:24 AM

ObamA will not renounce Trinity church so he obviously subscribes to their statement: “We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian… Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain “true to our native land,” the mother continent, the cradle of civilization.”
I prefer my President remain true to my native land, the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Pat in NC on June 1, 2008 at 8:29 AM

A little light weight humor from Robin Williams…

Unlike Obama, Robin has a plan.

You gotta love Robin Williams……Even if he’s nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams’ plan…(Hard to argue with this logic!)

“I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here’s one plan.”

1) “The US will apologize to the world for our “interference” in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those “good ‘ole’ boys”, we will never “interfere” again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines . They don’t want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave We’ll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They’re illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don’t like it there, change it yourself and don’t hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don’t need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign “students” over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don’t attend classes, they get a “D” and it’s back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don’t like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the oil wells filling up their storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not “interfere.” They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. ! Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don’t need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us “Ugly Americans” any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH..learn it…or LEAVE…Now, isn’t that a winner of a plan?

“The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.” She’s got a baseball bat and she’s yelling, ‘you want a piece of me?’ “

Keemo on June 1, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Ah yes . . . a man of great faith. Who’s next to go under the wheels of the bus . . . his wife, or perhaps his kids? The man is such an incredible self indulged phony and BS artist.

rplat on June 1, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Subject: BILL COSBY ON REV WRIGHT
Article from Wall Street Journal:

Rev. Wright epitomizes the thoughts and actions that have prevented and continue to prevent black America from moving ahead and achieving their potential as a people. He suggests that this United States of America made up of sons and daughters of immigrants (I’m talking of the millions of 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation immigrants in this country) of every race, creed, color and religion, each and everyone of them who had nothing to do with slavery, somehow owe something to a group of people who have never been slaves?

Its amazing. It seems everyone is to blame for the shambles black society is in with its violence, drugs, high school drop out rates, misogyny, and a host of other real and virulent problems, except for the very people who engage in such behavior.

Enough. As a society, culture or people, they should look within themselves and fix their problems. When did this man become the spokesman for the black church? And of course his church is different, but that doesn’t mean his message and philosophy is acceptable, or productive, or non-offensive, or not-racist or indicative of our greater cultural behaviors, values and norms as Americans.

And yes, the link between this man and Obama really does matter. At a very minimum, it provides insight into the political and philosophical strain that Obama adheres to.

Comment by Bill Cosby -
April 28,2008

Keemo on June 1, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Besoffen
Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Miss E, Just how many languages do you speak? :)

1976 all over again.
highhopes on June 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM

And if Obama wins, It will be Carters 2nd term in a bad way.

MB4 on June 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

You were AWOL last night but I’m glad you came to my rescue. :)

Pfleger…..to protest Jerry Springer’s television show

Keemo on June 1, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Springer is exactly who Pfleger reminds me of.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 1, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Larry Johnson says that another shoe will drop in this Trinity UCC debacle. He claims there is a tape(s) of Michelle preaching from the pulpit and it is explosive. To quote him,

I’ll post the news Monday morning by 0900 hours. Now I know why people who have seen the videotape say it is stunning. Barack’s headaches are only starting.

So there ya’ go. Barak and Michelle. Haters. Racists. A product of the Chicago political machine. A huge skimming machine. An organization that is criminal from inception to the present day.
It illuminates a party principal of inbred racism that is one of the reasons I left the Democratic Party in 1994.
They don’t let minorities run for power positions unless they kowtow to that machine and corrupt themselves.

Beto Ochoa on June 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM

really well said

funky chicken on June 1, 2008 at 9:57 AM

BHO just threw 8,000 fellow members of TUCC off the campaign bus. One wonders if one or two of those may feel a bit jilted and used. It would not be unreasonable to speculate that some of those left behind may have recollections, tapes, or CDs of the Obamas in attendence at questionable sermons in the past. They could soon decide to share such evidence with the general public.

Payback can be a bitch. I give it 10 days to show up.

Yoop on June 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM

Bravo, well said. Flenser will be along any moment to pronounce you a false conservative and invite you to shut up. :)

I’ve never looked forward to a party convention the way I’m looking forward to Denver. This is going to be fascinating. I get the feeling a certain tipping point was reached this week, somewhat quietly compared to the sound and fury of the Wright scandal. Obama withdrawing from Trinity is an event of enormous proportions: it not only invalidates the entire narrative of his campaign since Wright burst into the public eye, but it essentially invalidates his entire campaign. Everyone who pronounced his post-Wright speech the equivalent of Martin Luther King now looks like an absolute and utter fool, and anyone suggesting Obama’s incredible sense of judgement outweighs his paper-thin resume will have to make their case through a deafening chorus of laughter.

Add in the bizarre reappearance of the Ghost of Hanging Chad at the rules committe re: Florida and Michigan, enraging the Hillary supporters enough to where I’m starting to think they really will stay home or vote McCain, at least enough of them to matter… The logic behind our own sit-this-one-out chorus actually works for Hillary supporters, who can be fairly comfortable that McCain won’t make radical changes in a single presidency, especially since he’ll face a Democrat Congress. The Hillary crowd really can afford to loudly refuse to vote for Obama, flush his entire apparatus down the toilet, and try again in 2012. The Clinton machine may be mostly dead, but even its corpse can throw out the odd poison dart, or command the allegiance of hunchbacked servants like Lanny Davis.

As of this weekend, Barack Obama began to seem faintly… creepy to the mainstream. I don’t think any politician can survive that.

Doctor Zero on June 1, 2008 at 10:37 AM

yes. At this point, I could say he’d be a problem as VP candidate too. Hillary’s camp may have wanted to play as nice as possible with him on Trinity, Pfleger, Meeks, Ayers, Dohrn, and Rezko because they were trying to preserve some of his luster for a Clinton/Obama ticket.

I don’t think they still have that option.

funky chicken on June 1, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Heh.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Agreed. I’m planning on making a series of short videos. I’m no great shakes, but I have all the tools and a better than average knowledge of how to wield them and I’ll do what I can.

We need to fight back in this info-war. Right now it’s pretty much wall to wall leftist propaganda, due to the fact that there’s a reason why they’re called the ‘liberal arts’. I’ve found it incredibly challenging to get work at times. The first whiff of Conservative (yeah, I know… my own do not see me as ‘real’ Conservative or ‘real’ Christian, but whatever), and opportunities dry up.

Liberalism has to take a tremendous public hit before this situation can change. Right now they’ve got the world convinced the most evil thing in the world is a practicing Conservative Republican.

The coming election might help change that, as the dems have completely ripped their masks off and are showing us their true faces openly. A defeat in this election will hopefully destroy the democrat party so the Blue Dogs can rebuild it a little closer to the Center. The GOP is in the same situation.

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 10:59 AM

JiangxiDad on June 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I agree with you, JD, about the crafted part, but Obambi isn’t self-crafted. He is someone else’s creation.

I think all this has backfired on his creators, though. I think his run this season was simply to get some experience for a future run at POTUS. The hildebeast, after all, had it in the bag for this run.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the White House. Obambi caught fire with the ‘change-for-change-sake’ faction of the dem party.

I don’t think there’s any way for the msm to hide his many flaws and foibles. They’ll surely try, but they won’t be successful.

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Anyone who isn’t an anti-America radical would have left this “church” twenty years ago!

davenp35 on June 1, 2008 at 11:22 AM

which once again calls his judgment into question.

No, no, no, no. using that kind of language helps, barry. it is not about his judgement, it is about who he is and what he believes. Attending a church like that once could have been considered bad judgement, being a supportive member for 20 years defines who barry is. When you say it speaks of his judgement you are falling into the orwellian msm trap. Poor judgement about one issue can be forgiven and that is their plan. Forgive and bury. barry and his wife went to that church, are freinds with those people, are supported by those people beacause that is who they are. Bitter, hate filled racists.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 12:36 PM

“Free’s” him up to go back to his roots……Muslim…..but i do want to see the Vid of his wife at the pulpit “railing on whitey”

sbark on June 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM

He used that church to get to the state Senate and the US Senate. Now, it’s going to be his Albatross.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM

In answer to JWF – they are obviously being harrassed, I am watching the coverage on Fox.

What’s will the reporters harrassing people coming and going from church?

Why is this neccessary? Are we just dying to know?

This has become a Brangelina type story.

Feeling victimized are you? You can thank Bush and Rove for that, not the Liberals. I live among Liberals in NYC and most Republicans here get why we are hated, it’s because of those sleazy neocons, and don’t you forget it. Liberals have nothing to do with it. Again, you are not attacking the real problem.

I agree whole heartedly with Rupert Murdoch, McCain needs to separate himself with this administration, sooner than later, or he is going to lose.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Remember, we are in this position and we recently lost 3 major seats not because of Liberalism.

This is not a Liberal country, this is a Moderate Center Right/Center Left country, we tend not to embolden loons.

It’s because of how the Republicans conducted themselves while in power. This President has a very low approval rating, this is fact, not so called Liberal spin.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:18 PM