Breaking: Obamas quit Trinity United Church of Christ

posted at 6:26 pm on May 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

According to Ace o’ Spades and The Corner, CNN reports that Barack and Michelle Obama have resigned from the congregation of the radical church to which they have belonged for over 20 years. If confirmed, the move attempts to end two months of controversy surrounding the commentary at TUCC by Jeremiah Wright, Michael Pfleger, and Otis Moss.

I’ll come back with more commentary once the details have been reported. However, I don’t see how this helps, and it could hurt in two different ways. First, it confirms that the church is not in the mainstream, which once again calls his judgment into question. Wright and Pfleger gave these kinds of sermons there the entire time, not just over the last few weeks. The big problem is that the Obamas sat in that church for 20 years listening to these sermons and finding nothing objectionably about them until they got disseminated to the nation.

Second, and potentially more damaging, it shows Obama’s willingness to throw anyone over the side when the boat starts sinking. That won’t go over very well with his core supporters who have admired his loyalty to TUCC, who excused Wright by pointing out that he had retired, and who bought Obama’s explanation of the “wonderful community” and great works of TUCC. Is that now nothing more than a convenient lie?

If the Obamas quit TUCC, they will confirm it as a political problem, and the act won’t convince anyone that they disagree with its rhetoric. They may convince people that he only joined TUCC for its political connections in Chicago — but that doesn’t exactly reflect well on Obama, either.

Update: Here’s the story at CNN, and it’s interesting why Obama quit:

“We don’t want to have to answer for everything that’s stated in the church,” the Democratic front-runner said. “We also don’t want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes.”

Obama said the Pfleger controversy made it clear that, as long as he remained a member of the Trinity congregation, remarks from the pulpit would be “imputed” to him, even if they conflicted with his personal views.

So he’s leaving because he doesn’t want TUCC to get further scrutiny, and not because he wants to distance himself from the radical nature of the church.  That’s not exactly a profile in courage.  Let’s recall what Obama said just ten weeks ago about his membership at Trinity:

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way….

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

This reaction combines the worst of both worlds — it says nothing that rejects the radical rhetoric, and it makes clear that he’s only interested in the political burden that Trinity now represents.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

The Piggy is First! YES!

CapitalistPig on May 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Guess the whole “distraction” pablum was getting too old, even for Bambi..

CapitalistPig on May 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Now will they go somewhere to get deprogrammed?

The damage is done and quitting now is stupid.

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Waffles, anyone?

ReubenJCogburn on May 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Will the MSM ask the Obamamessiah any tough questions or will they simply keep ignoring it and not asking about it ?

William Amos on May 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Waffles is right.

I wonder if he will find another church and quick.
You know, because his Christain faith is such a big part of his life.

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

He has enough blind followers now he can start his own church.

The Church of Perpetual Indignation?
The Church of Barry?
ObamaCathedral?

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Next Barry’ll be saying:

Actually, I’m a 46 year old White man.”

profitsbeard on May 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

CBS News saying it’s definite as well. Obama is political gold. First he shows us he is the most liberal candidate ever to win the nomination. Next he demonstrates a political savvy and ignorance that may very well rival Carter. Now he is competing with Kerry for the Flip Flopper in Chief title.

Oh yeah, and he’s the Gaffemeister as well.

NotCoach on May 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Yes we can!

mred on May 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Well well well, so the chickens have come home to roost.

Terrye on May 31, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Change you can believe in!

mred on May 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Slogan on the side of the Obama campaign bus — “Next!”

mesablue on May 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

However, I don’t see how this helps,

LOL!!!!!!

freevillage on May 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Oh Happy Day.

Travis1 on May 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

He is beyond pathetic. Seriously, where did they find this guy? They pledged their lives to him on the basis of a good speech at the Democrat convention a few years ago. Remember when Mario Coumo was the “next big thing” based on a speech? Bill Clinton entered the national scene with a famously long-winded nomination speech for Dukakis but…now I’m rambling.

How did we get here?

Nosferightu on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

He was compelled to quit because Wright didn’t “respect” Barack. That’s just a bridge too far for Obama!

Spirit of 1776 on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

America is a mean place.

mred on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Jerome Bettis’ legs are hurtin’.

mred on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Someone get the idea that the DNC and other dems urged him to do this BEFORE the convention rather than after to earn hillry brownie points ?

Is this part of a political deal we are seeing ?

William Amos on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

It says a lot that they wouldn’t quit the church when it was the right thing to do (especially since they were exposing their young kids to the constant venom that Trinity specializes in), but they’ll do it now that it’s politically expedient. Way to take a stand on principle, Barry.

What an utter lightweight, both as a man and as a politician.

ReubenJCogburn on May 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

For the first time in my life Im proud of Obama

William Amos on May 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

“Why can’t I just eat my waffle?”

dont taze me bro on May 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM

It has been suggested that he joined this church to further his political goals so now that it is not helping we shouldn’t be too surprised he is dropping it like a hot potato. Er’ Potatoe?

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Judgement to waffle!

BadgerHawk on May 31, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Hmm, I think this is a small net plus for him.

At the very least, it stops the bleeding (if you will). He doesn’t have to worry about any future outrages committed by those associated with the church.

Looking back, though, it does again raise the issue of what the heck was he doing in this terribly misguided church. Opportunism? Or philosophical sympathy?

Given the nature and quality of the press’s coverage, they’ll have absolutely no interest in looking back.

I’d say a smart move; but really it’s the only move he could make.

SteveMG on May 31, 2008 at 6:40 PM

How politically expedient of Mr. and Mrs. Obama. Too hot in the kitchen for you?

Troy Rasmussen on May 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM

the chickens have come home to roost

Defector01 on May 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Wow! This is an extremely dumb move! In fact I can’t believe that his handlers let him do this. All of his past attempts to distance himself from Wright have centered around the individual offensive utterings of the Rev. But during those attempts, he has separated the church (the general congregation) from Wright and continued to speak highly of the church itself AND its new pastor. For him to break from this church, a church wherein his children were baptized, a church with which Barak and Michelle performed their community service and hold up that time as their example to the rest of us peons, and a church, up until today, he was “proud” of, will seem like the shallowest of politically expedient moves on Barak’s part. the possibility of disassociation has to be weighed against the depth and breadth of the association in the first place, and Barak’s association with that church is deep and wide, and can’t simply be separated by fiat. I agree with you Ed, this will not help. He looks very very small and petty.

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Well of course he has to quit church there is another higher church that people are worshiping him at.

Only room for one Messiah in the Church of Obama.

William Amos on May 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Like trying to un-ring a bell…the damage is done and it’s too late. You sleep with dogs…

orlandocajun on May 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM

For a while now I’ve been watching the Obama candidacy much like someone would watch a puppy exploring his new world. Stumbling around and knocking things over, it was cute and funny to watch.

Now it’s beginning to look like the never ending train wreck with bodies flying out of the cars left and …heheh…Wright.

I struggle with the utter dysfunctional nature of my party but then I look across the aisle and feel strangely comforted.

Pilgrim on May 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM

He still has to worry about the last 20 years.

mred on May 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I thought it was all snippets, taken out of context?
Wonderful judgement, exposing his children to this environment from the cradle. This type of rhetoric is not anomylous from this church’s pulpit, it is standard fare. Obama is one of those guys that will act like your friend and when the Brothers come around he goes black on you. Much to the delight of the majority race present. I am not amused this flim flam, shif’less, minstrel show con man is presented by the democratic party as their champion. It underscores their unserious approach to the nations challenges. The radical democrats only want to cement themselves into the positions of power to fleece the flock and arrange things so they are the only choice and voice available. Any and all who stand in their way will be crushed in the press and attacked with their twisted laws, democrats who disagree as well.

Beto Ochoa on May 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM

The MSM was not covering much of this really. Chris Mathews and others of his ilk will now say there is NOTHING to discuss now. He has left the church therefore it is a total absolute non-issue. McCain has to press this issue unendingly despite the squeals and squals from the Obamaistas. It is not over until Obama denounces in very personal and specific terms all of his fascist pastors.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

He has quite his church. that means the last 20yr did not shape his life. So all of you that cling to bibles and guns can now vote for him…. RIGHT. LOL

tengger on May 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Well, at least leaving this church might actually help Michelle’s kids!

CP on May 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Wow. He just threw a few thousand people under that bus.

That must be one helluva big bus..

Guardian on May 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

You know, because his Christain faith is such a big part of his life.

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

So big a part of his life that he chose not to go to church on Easter.

Even the “Christians in name only” go to church on Christmas and Easter.

Red Pill on May 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

20 years won’t go away. It’s not that he attended lately anyway. The Rev. Wright’s book comes out in Oct. 2008.

Entelechy on May 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Barack Obama disowns the black community!

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can disown my white grandmother — a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

Barack H. Obama

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Here’s a question, everyone put on your super delegate hat: does this make you more inclined to side with Barry, or does this move make you doubt his ability to run with the big dawgs, forcing you to side with Clinton, or at least let this play out until convention regardless what Pelosi and Dean work out?

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

If the Michele Obama “Hate Whitey” tape really does exist and it gets played and causes him problems, will he divorce her?

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Wow. He just threw a few thousand people under that bus.

That must be one helluva big bus..

Guardian on May 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

More like a millions!

The whole “Black Community!” LOL

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

He still has to worry about the last 20 years.

Only if the MSM brings them up.

And after this, I can’t imagine them being any more aggressive in looking at the history then they have been.

SteveMG on May 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Obama kept Trinity in the bus for the primaries, and throws it under the bus for the general, believing the voters to be complete lemmings, having the media in his crotch already.

Entelechy on May 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Is this part of a political deal we are seeing ?

William Amos on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Very good point. Given the DNC meeting, I question the timing of this announcement.

Red Pill on May 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

re·sign (r-zn)
v. re·signed, re·sign·ing, re·signs
v.tr.
1. To submit (oneself) passively; accept as inevitable: I resigned myself to a long wait in line.
2. To give up (a position, for example), especially by formal notification.
3. To relinquish (a privilege, right, or claim). See Synonyms at relinquish.
v.intr.
To give up one’s job or office; quit, especially by formal notification: resign from a board of directors.

You know……… I don’t have to “resign” from the Catholic Church that I attend, if I don’t like their support for illegal immigration and asking for extra funds to compensate victims of alleged priest sex abuse, I just stop attending mass and pray at home, like most soldiers in every fox hole that has been dug in a time of war….. in time, I will return, but I never had to “resign” anything.

Interesting choice of words, Obama, “resign”, how about “potatoe”………

Seven Percent Solution on May 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

So does this mean he may decide to go ahead and disown his white grandmother now that he has the “moral” cover to do it ? He is nothing but a big stinking pile of cheese.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Obama, May third on MTP:

He was my pastor, and he built a terrific church. I’m proud of that church. We’ve got a wonderful young pastor who’s there, who’s doing, uh — continuing the terrific work that the church does, and that’s my commitment. My commitment is to the values of — of that church.

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 6:50 PM

An actual man would have come out and said-”I’m sick of what my church has devolved into and I’m damn well gonna voice how much I want it to change in a positive Christian way”.
Well unless you actually agreed with what was going on.
And then realized it may cost you votes for the presidency.

In one swift move Barak Obama has given us a window into his character as a man and a candidate.

He is unfit to lead.

jjshaka on May 31, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Waffles is right.

I wonder if he will find another church and quick.
You know, because his Christain faith is such a big part of his life.

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Louis Farrakhan is looking for new members.. >:D

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 6:52 PM

When danger reared its ugly head,
he turned upon his heel and fled
Brave, brave Sir Robin!

Beto Ochoa on May 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

My commitment is to the values of — of that church.

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Ouch. Game. Set. Match.

Spirit of 1776 on May 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Here’s Obama’s own words on the HuffPost:

He also led a diverse congregation that was and still is a pillar of the South Side and the entire city of Chicago. It’s a congregation that does not merely preach social justice but acts it out each day, through ministries ranging from housing the homeless to reaching out to those with HIV/AIDS.

But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.

With Rev. Wright’s retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good.

Here’s the link

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Can one throw an entire church under the bus?

Nah, too crowded, too many conservatives already tossed under there by McCain.

labrat on May 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

As much money that Obama gave to that “Church” he was funding the activities there, he’s basically responsible for the stuff.

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

It’s over, the MSM will go mute.

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I agree here, Obama shouldn’t of done this it makes him look weak.

Typhonsentra on May 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

To the MSM, Obama is teflon.

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Yay! Distancing from his church because of general election political fallout! Yay!

Weebork on May 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Hey, and after the convention he can say he was totally misunderstood. What he really said was that he was

re-signing

with the church for another 20 year stint. And his church community will forgive him because the Republicans are racist and spread this lie and he will be sworn in as POTUS by the Rev. Wright.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM

The only baggage he has left to dump is Michelle.

29Victor on May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

The only baggage he has left to dump is Michelle.

29Victor on May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Stranger things have happened.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

To counterbalance bad left-wing publicity from the likes of Wright and Pflueger, BHO’s advisors have advised him to join ‘Aryan Nation’ and Jeff Schoep’s ‘National Socialist Movement’. This might, at first blush, seem ludicrous but BHO has the imprimatur of former Klan Leader Robert Byrd.

MaiDee on May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

If He becomes pres and the jihadists take over. Well He turn his back on Jesus. Maybe we should just call him Judas now, and not wait for the rush. After all he is a man of conviction.

tengger on May 31, 2008 at 7:02 PM

MaiDee on May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Yes indeedy. The Donks are the party of the big tent.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Note that he only dumped the rev. Wright when he’d said that “Barack will say and do anything to get elected”, not based on any/all other insanity from the past 20 years.

What an utter lightweight, both as a man and as a politician.

ReubenJCogburn on May 31, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Indeed. We vote him in, directly or indirectly, we deserve him fully.

Entelechy on May 31, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Jerome Bettis’ legs are hurtin’.

mred on May 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

LOL

abinitioadinfinitum on May 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM

The CHAOS just keeps increasing! This is stunning and delightful.

Greenhorn on May 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Did he decide to go back being a muslim?
/”Change we can believe in”

Kim Hartveld on May 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM

And just think, the DNC is meeting right now …..operation chaos lives!

robo on May 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

“Throwing” a hell and damnation preacher like Wright, who was like a “millstone around his neck” “over the side”, hardly equates to showing Obama’s “willingness to throw anyone over the side when the boat starts sinking”.

Hasn’t Juan “thrown over the side” a few who only threatened his a election a little.

Hell, Bush should have “thrown” a whole lot of people “over the side” a long time ago. I’ll bet he wishes that he had thrown that blabber-mouth guy over the side from the git-go.

MB4 on May 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

He loved and revered the church and it’s pastors for twenty years. He called them “family” and the leadership “mentors.” He acclaimed their programs and the wisdom and words of their pastors.

Until they interfered with his political ambitions.

Then he turned his back on them.

Obama’s disciples are right. He’s not your average politician. He’s much, much worse than most.

29Victor on May 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

This is one big bus isn’t it? Why now, why not 15 years ago? I mean even Oprah left that church, perhpas she’s been talking to him while blaming him for the slip in her ratings.
Old Rev. Wright was right about him doing anything to be elected. Sheesh what a loser.

Catie96706 on May 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Trinity United Church of Christ:

Good enough for the eternal souls of Obama’s daughters, but not good enough for a Presidential election campaign.

Sorry, Otis. You (c)rap preachers are just a step too far for Obambi, or is he leaving because they let that crazy white Eminem-lookin’ Catholic dude preach there?

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Will this bring along the charges of sell-out? Uncle Tom? Can I dare dream that Obama will have Oreo cookies rolled at his feet?

chief on May 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

THIS is the reason they are doing this. Now they can say she no longer subscribes to those things. That tape is out there. I can’t wait to see it!

SouthernGent on May 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

You know, because his Christain faith is such a big part of his life.

EJDolbow on May 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Religion is regarded by the common as true, by the wise as false, and by the leaders as useful.
- Seneca the Younger

MB4 on May 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

An actual man would have come out and said-”I’m sick of what my church has devolved into and I’m damn well gonna voice how much I want it to change in a positive Christian way”……..
jjshaka on May 31, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Exactly. I don’t recall any reports of him questioning these pastoral clowns. He let it ride and then on the day of the big delegate showdown he “resigns”. That is a load of crap.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Until they interfered with his political ambitions.

Then he turned his back on them.

29Victor on May 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Obama has the qualities of Scott McClellan(Me, Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,Me,)

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 7:11 PM

The only baggage he has left to dump is Michelle.

29Victor on May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Ha.

He dumps that loony bitch and I’ll vote for him!

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 7:12 PM

The MSM will think this move is “genius”.

They will be shocked, shocked (again) when the exit polls prove untrue and McCain limps in with a victory.

Shivas Irons on May 31, 2008 at 7:12 PM

That tape is out there. I can’t wait to see it!

SouthernGent on May 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Yeah…but the DNC has McCain on tape WWFing Ronald McDonald.

What did everyone expect from Obama? Did they think that he was going to have Wright on the platform during his swearing in? He is just sweeping the floor and getting ready for the love-fest at the convention in Denver.

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Barrack McCellan Obama

Texyank on May 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM

At this moment, HRC is looking for someone with the moral authority to change the meme from throwing under the bus to selling down the river….

rw on May 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM

chief on May 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Well if he disowned the black community and he is half-white maybe he identifies himself as being white now?

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Mr. Judgment came into this election thinking that TUCCi was a plus for his campaign. “We’ll take Christianity back from the evangelical wingnuts!”

Heh. What a maroon.

Jaibones on May 31, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM

From Harold Ickes, moments ago at the DNC rules and bylaws committee meeting.

Mrs. Clinton has instructed me to reserve her rights to take this to the credentials committee.

bnelson44 on May 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Obama will speak to this decision later today. My bet is he will attempt to do the same thing he did with Reverend Wright and make it about how the Church has changed recently.

If that is the case then Obama needs to explain how he can change his mind about his church of 20 years when facts on the ground change but is unwilling reevaluate or even visit Iraq or General Petraeus to see how the facts on the ground there have changed!

Is this really the judgment of a leader?
DKK

LifeTrek on May 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Trinity changed recently(if he says that) but he still gave LOTS of money to them recently!

Chakra Hammer on May 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

bnelson44 on May 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

But if she deals out the 1/2 delegate deal how the hell is she going to ride out the next 2 1/2 months? I’d love to see chaos in Denver but still believe we will all be looking at Disney-on-Ice instead.

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

From the NYT:

For Mr. Obama, this is the latest effort to distance himself from a church that had repeatedly drawn negative attention to his candidacy. And, in turn, Mr. Obama drew negative attention to the church on Chicago’s South Side, where he was married and his two daughters were baptized.

Shivas Irons on May 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

bnelson44 on May 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Hot dog!

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

From Harold Ickes, moments ago at the DNC rules and bylaws committee meeting.

bnelson44 on May 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

There is no way I would be within a hundred miles of Denver when this happens. But it sounds like it will happen. The long knives are coming out.

JonRoss on May 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

MB4 on May 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Why didn’t he throw him sooner, then?

Because he needed him for the primaries.

Doppelgänger on any/all issues, as the rev. Wright said about him. Of the two men, the reverand is the more honest one, in spite of all his fleas.

Entelechy on May 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Shivas Irons on May 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Oh. Is that going to be their spin, that Obama is acting out of a spirit of magnanimity? That he is doing this not because he wants to but has to so that there will no longer be negative attention drawn to the church.

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Entelechy on May 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

I dunno about honest but Wright has more grit, for sure.

Limerick on May 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM