Breaking: Obamas quit Trinity United Church of Christ

posted at 6:26 pm on May 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

According to Ace o’ Spades and The Corner, CNN reports that Barack and Michelle Obama have resigned from the congregation of the radical church to which they have belonged for over 20 years. If confirmed, the move attempts to end two months of controversy surrounding the commentary at TUCC by Jeremiah Wright, Michael Pfleger, and Otis Moss.

I’ll come back with more commentary once the details have been reported. However, I don’t see how this helps, and it could hurt in two different ways. First, it confirms that the church is not in the mainstream, which once again calls his judgment into question. Wright and Pfleger gave these kinds of sermons there the entire time, not just over the last few weeks. The big problem is that the Obamas sat in that church for 20 years listening to these sermons and finding nothing objectionably about them until they got disseminated to the nation.

Second, and potentially more damaging, it shows Obama’s willingness to throw anyone over the side when the boat starts sinking. That won’t go over very well with his core supporters who have admired his loyalty to TUCC, who excused Wright by pointing out that he had retired, and who bought Obama’s explanation of the “wonderful community” and great works of TUCC. Is that now nothing more than a convenient lie?

If the Obamas quit TUCC, they will confirm it as a political problem, and the act won’t convince anyone that they disagree with its rhetoric. They may convince people that he only joined TUCC for its political connections in Chicago — but that doesn’t exactly reflect well on Obama, either.

Update: Here’s the story at CNN, and it’s interesting why Obama quit:

“We don’t want to have to answer for everything that’s stated in the church,” the Democratic front-runner said. “We also don’t want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes.”

Obama said the Pfleger controversy made it clear that, as long as he remained a member of the Trinity congregation, remarks from the pulpit would be “imputed” to him, even if they conflicted with his personal views.

So he’s leaving because he doesn’t want TUCC to get further scrutiny, and not because he wants to distance himself from the radical nature of the church.  That’s not exactly a profile in courage.  Let’s recall what Obama said just ten weeks ago about his membership at Trinity:

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way….

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety – the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity’s services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

This reaction combines the worst of both worlds — it says nothing that rejects the radical rhetoric, and it makes clear that he’s only interested in the political burden that Trinity now represents.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Obambi isn’t self-crafted. He is someone else’s creation.
techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM

His grooming goes back nearly two decades. About the same amount of time the Kansas snake oil salesman served as
The Wizard of Oz

Beto Ochoa on June 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Their quitting is for one reason, and one reason only: VOTES.
He hopes this will let undecideds believe he is not the racist that he really is.

ToddonCapeCod on June 1, 2008 at 1:23 PM

He used that church to get to the state Senate and the US Senate. Now, it’s going to be his Albatross.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Again, how is this statement helping John McCain?

The Republicans need to get back to issues and stop acting like the Dems did in 2000 and 2004. All they could do was talk bad about Bush.

Now it seems the Republcans can only talk bad about Obama and his church.

How about the real issues people?? Issues win elections, especially in this political climate. The public doesn’t want to hear about what’s wrong with Obama’s church or about Revs hagee and Parsley. A very small percentage of peole care about these issues. These issues appeal to the Fringe on both sides. And thanks to Karl Rove people can spot dirty policticking at 40 paces, blindfolded. They get it, they get the whole Swiftboat concept, and they don’t like it one bit. They see it as a diversion away from reality and what ails them in their everyday lives.

Your regular run-of-the-mill Moderate American voters are astute and informed enough to want answers about the issues. They do not care about Fringe issues. If they did he would have never did as well as he did in IN, SC etc.

Facts, these are facts.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I didn’t know McCain was posting here.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I’m amazed… He flows like water… The path of least resistance… people say quit this… do that… he does. I wonder if (and I mean IF) he happens to win… When Hamas or Aqua-velvejad, Chavez, China, Putin, K J Ill, Canada, Mexico, the UN, anyone except the People of the USA or Israel, tell him to JUMP, he’ll ask, “How high?”

CynicalOptimist on June 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I didn’t know McCain was posting here.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Poor April has a naughty kneejerk whenever an issue relating to Barry’s judgment arises. She doesn’t want it talked about because in her mind, his character and values must not be important. He said he was for unity and that’s all there is to it. Case closed.

a capella on June 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM

It’s sure getting full under that bus. The sad thing for Barry is ,after he gets’ creamed in the General, he wont have any friends left.

x-wing on June 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Their quitting is for one reason, and one reason only: VOTES.

ToddonCapeCod on June 1, 2008 at 1:23 PM

See I believe the Clintons are the racists, not him. I believe Wright is a loon who uses that old 60s radical Black Power mantra to stir up the crowd, but I don’t really believe in his real life that he is a racist. He plays one in the pulpit to move the masses.

Wright is like one of those loon Talk Radio hosts – like a Bill Cunningham type. When Cunningham got up and said B. Hussein Obama he was broad brush painting everyone at that McCain rally as an ignorant hillbilly who votes Republican, i.e., he assumed everyone there would believe the message he was getting out there – that perhaps Obama was a muslim and we should all be terrified.

Wright is cut from the same cloth. He gets up on that podium and broad brush paints that congregation as ignorant Jim Crow type step-n-fetch-it type blacks who will buy into his crap hook line and sinker, i.e., believe there is a white hood waiting around every corner.

It’s all fear based propaganda used to stir it up. And the Clintons piled on to the whole Muslim thing.

I do not believe Wright is a real racist, he’s a fringe loon like Cunningham. If he was a real racist he would never settle into that white neighborhood. And what about the people living there, don’t you think they would be verbal about this racist moving into their neighborhood?

I think we would have heard something.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:41 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM
I didn’t know McCain was posting here.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Look, hate McCain all you want but he is our candidate, and I am supporting him becuase I am a Rep[ublican before I am a Conservative. I care about the GOP, The Party is my main focus and I believe Bush has damaged us.

If you are looking for a different flavor, vote for Bob Barr, vote for Ron Paul, or vote for Shillbilly, the real racist.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM

that perhaps Obama was a muslim and we should all be terrified.
AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:41 PM

But April dear he was a Muslim. He converted to Christianity(if that is what they preach at his church) about 23 years ago.

So tell me again how Cunningham was lying?

x-wing on June 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM

I think we would have heard something.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:41 PM

You may have missed the ecstatic response of the congregation. Obama has done one thing right. He’s exposed the large number of black church members who hate white people. Many of us weren’t aware of it.

a capella on June 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM

x-wing on June 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM

He will get creamed in the General because John McCain is going to win. But on the same token Republicans s need to focus on our issues and what we are doing to get elected, why we are better.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian… Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain “true to our native land,” the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

United Church of Christ Statement of Faith in the form of a doxology

They sure make it clear that they are a black church, don’t they? Nothing wrong with that, that’s all well, fine and good in my opinion. But they are openly are engages in every kind of leftist politics, which is fine too. I strongly believe churches should instruct their congregations on what the church doctrine is for the current state of political affairs. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, even though I vehemently disagree with leftist politics.

But this is what irritates me, you can bet it this was a predominantly white church as immersed in politics as this black church, the IRS would be knocking on their door telling them to shut-up or lose their tax exempt status. Somehow this never seems to happen when the church is advancing leftist policies or the church is predominantly black or some other minority. I wonder why?

Maxx on June 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM

a capella on June 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Whatever, I am not getting jacked up over one Church in Chicago filled with kool-aid drinkers. Bill O’Reilly was right aboiut Wright from the beginning, he is not a racist, he’s a race baiter.

But the bigger question is – how is that going to get McCain elected with all the disgrutled Independents and Reagan Democrats and Republicans who are concerned about the war, gas, eduction, healthcare, taxes, etc.?

Who give s a flying f*#k about this loon church, except of course Sean Hannity because he’s harvesting ratings?

And of course Rupert Murdoch certainly didn’t help by saying that McCain was in trouble and that Obama will win. That I still am not quite getting.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

a capella on June 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM

When Cunningham did his thing at that McCain rally there were ecstatic kool-aid drinkers very upset that McCain threw him under the bus.

There are Far Right and Far Left loons all around us, we have to stick to the issues and not mainstream these lunatics, they add nothing of value to the discussion.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM

“I was for Trinity UCC before I was against it,” -Hussein.

Akzed on June 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Maxx on June 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM

This is true, but I think their exposure will change this, which is a good thing. They need to look at Temples as well as in my faith, which run both ways – Left and Right. Rabbis have opinions also, which does not belong in the dialouge.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM

My primary concern is getting John McCain elected, nothing more nothing less.

Now I know there are many here who hate him, you are entitled to your opinions, but he is our candidate. And as a Republican I respect him, I support him and I will stand with him in unity for our party as he moves closer into The White House.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Can I just say, as a woman, Barack Obama becomes less and less “manlly” all the time.

I have no feeling whatsoever that this man can keep my children safe.

EJDolbow on June 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM

That’s music to Hillary’s ears.

And you know her staffers monitor HotAir.

The Dem nomination is not over until Hillary says it’s over, and since Hillary has said she’s taking it to the convention, it’s not over until the convention.

If Obama continues to tank, the supers may give the nomination to Hillary and make it a Clinton/Obama ticket. That was her game plan all along (her as 1st woman President, him as 1st “black” Vice-President), and it would be the toughest ticket to go up against.

Believe it or not, we want Obama to get the nomination. Sure, he’ll get the lemmings, but most Independents and sane Democrats (those who don’t want a trojan horse President) will vote Republican.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 2:06 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I “hate” McCain? Project much?

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Hussein’s sycophants want nothing less than him as the nominee. Anyting less will result in burning cars in Denver.

Akzed on June 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

We need to fight back in this info-war. Right now it’s pretty much wall to wall leftist propaganda, due to the fact that there’s a reason why they’re called the ‘liberal arts’. I’ve found it incredibly challenging to get work at times. The first whiff of Conservative (yeah, I know… my own do not see me as ‘real’ Conservative or ‘real’ Christian, but whatever), and opportunities dry up.

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I’m in. I’ll do what I can and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

I know what you mean on the work front. There’s a reason I’m in the Republican “closet” professionally. If my overall moderate, center-right leanings ever came out, I’m certain I would never work in my field again. That famous liberal tolerance, dontcha know.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM

a capella on June 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM

a naughty kneejerk

interesting visual, thx

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM

It’s still not too late for Hussein to declare himself white.

Akzed on June 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I’m in. I’ll do what I can and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM

What industry do you work in?

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I “hate” McCain? Project much?

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:07 PM

I figured you did.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Subject: BILL COSBY ON REV WRIGHT
Article from Wall Street Journal:
April 28,2008

Rev. Wright epitomizes the thoughts and actions that have prevented and continue to prevent black America from moving ahead and achieving their potential as a people.

Keemo on June 1, 2008 at 8:57 AM

But wait! You mean “Black Liberation Theology” is really used to prevent black America from moving ahead and achieving their potential?

It’s OK to Leave the Plantation.

It’s not just OK, it needs to happen. It’s time for dark-skinned Americans to break free of the mental slavery of the Democrat party.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I figured you did.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Exactly, projection.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Gilda, please update your bus, to put Hillary as the biggest box B. Obama threw under his bus. She’s the one who helped him become famous.

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

What industry do you work in?

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Design – graphic, web, media, etc. Monoculture is too weak a word to describe the lack of ideological diversity I’ve encountered.

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Good point. Didn’t occur to her that he would jump the line. Good thing he did too. He went pro before he was ripe. Now, his message will rot before November.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Not me, I’m an uppity Conservative.

I send these SoCal Libs away whimpering and looking for a Starbucks and a Frappiccino Mocha Java Fair Trade Vente Mucho Dinero to cry over.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM

If Obama quit his pastor, and now his church, is he still a Christian?

faraway on June 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

they get the whole Swiftboat concept, and they don’t like it one bit. They see it as a diversion …

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I, for one, like and respect the Swift Vets and POWs for Truth. The questions they asked were not “diversions” or “distractions”. They were legitimate questions that the MSM media was unwilling to ask. The questions they asked were never answered.

These men served our country honorably, and deserve to be treated with respect, not maligned by saying what you said.

Liberals define “swiftboating” as political hacks slandering a Presidential candidate.

Conservatives define “swiftboating” as people of honor revealing the inconvenient truth about a Presidential candidate.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Barack “The Betrayer” Hussein

faraway on June 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Revealing her true nature.

Or something like that.

TheCulturalist on June 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Yayyy.
Now let’s move on.
If you can.
Which, of course, none of you can, so let’s not move on.
Let’s do CPR on this horse and then beat it to death again.

PS: What’s more sad:
(a) that there are people so fu**ing stupid they believe the Hussein in Obama’s name actually means something

(b) there are people who are actually happy there are lots of ignorant people on their side that fit into (a)

PPS:
“If Obama quit his pastor, and now his church, is he still a Christian?”
faraway on June 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Duh. Of course he is. You don’t have to belong to a church to be Christian. Because God knows if you are or not, since he watches you every second of the day. So don’t sweat it, man. Obama is still possibly going to heaven.

Dave Rywall on June 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

This is not a Liberal country, this is a Moderate Center Right/Center Left country, we tend not to embolden loons.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:18 PM

You’ve said similar before. But people have responded to you that it’s a “moveable center.” JFK would be a Republican today. The entire spectrum has shifted leftward in the past half century or so.

Also, by defining yourself as a “centrist,” you define a certain place and time and outlook. You’re a youngish Jewish girl born and raised in Manhattan. That’s a particular outlook. Everyone has their own. In twenty years, you will no longer occupy the middle.

I don’t get why you love the party, regardless of it’s ideology. Seems backwards to me.

From my perspective, you’re a Republican voter who likes/can live with many of the liberal’s positions. Fine. But why assume that’s the right place for all Republicans?

One thing I know for sure. Whatever you think today, you will be thinking something else when you’re older.

JiangxiDad on June 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

techno_barbarian on June 1, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Wow. We’ve seen that in the academic sector, but I assume you both work in graphic arts or IT. It seems that in any area the liberals control, they are absolute fascists. Dissent is not tolerated. If you don’t follow the “party line”, you don’t get work.

Liberal “tolerance” is tolerance for anything liberal, and absolute intolerance for anything conservative.

Liberal “tolerance” is tolerance for anything ungodly, and absolute intolerance for anything Godly.

Liberal “tolerance” is tolerant of anything except those who they judge as “intolerant”. It’s perfectly OK in their eyes to be intolerant of you if they have already labelled you as intolerant.

Hypocrites are they.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

JiangxiDad on June 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

If i make it that long, from your lips to God’s ears, that I will be older!

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM

“If Obama quit his pastor, and now his church, is he still a Christian?”
faraway on June 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Duh. Of course he is.

Dave Rywall on June 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

By what evidence do you declare, “Of course he is”?
By what evidence do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a Christian?
By what evidence do you know that Obama is not just practicing taqqiya?

Three points I’d like to make:

1) Political candidates are under no obligation to discuss religion at all.

2) If anyone (a political candidate or not) tells me that they are a Christian, I have every right to ask them to say three simple words and pass this Biblical test.

3) Shout me down all you want, but I believe there is only one candidate out of the entire field (of both Republicans and Democrats) who would pass that Biblical test by confessing with his mouth, “Jesus is Lord”.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Entelechy on June 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Here you go. (Not quite the biggest box though because I did this quick – hey, it is getting a bit crowded under there! I’m going to have to create a mountain of boxes by the time this is over)

Gilda on June 1, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Remember… he stated that he was only a Christian socially. He’ll probably be back in the fold of Trinity United Church of Christ after the elections are over.

CynicalOptimist on June 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM

I hope no one minds me repeating this, but I want to add to something I said yesterday. It’s really interesting to me how Hillary’s camp is turning words from an Obama speech around to attack him…

Here were Obama’s words…

But somehow, somewhere along the way, faith stopped being used to bring us together and started being used to drive us apart. It got hijacked.

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.
A Politics of Conscience
Hartford, CT
June 23, 2007

“There’s been a lot of talk about party unity—let’s all come together, and put our arms around each other. I submit to you ladies and gentlemen, hijacking four delegates … is not a good way to start down the path of party unity.”

Harold Ickes (Hillary’s chief delegate counter, and also a member of the Rules Committee that approved the deal)
May 31, 2008

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Red Pill –

You claim I have no proof that Obama is still a Christian but then you go and claim that you know which candidate actually is. That’s amazingly moronic.

If there’s one thing that is definitely un-Christian, it’s the venomous, intolerant and smug nature of your posts.

You should watch yourself – God is watching.

Dave Rywall on June 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Red Pill –

You should watch yourself – God is watching.

Dave Rywall on June 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Agreed, stop being so judgmental, condensending and pompous. Ask God to remove you from your burden of self and the high hattedness that accompanies it.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Sorry, Keemo, your Robin Williams plan wasn’t written by Robin Williams – but I like it anyway!

Rosmerta on June 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM

I don’t but I really love this party and I believe for this point in time – for this election – we need a candidate that is more toward the center.

I really believe God has positioned John McCain to lead us to victory and I believe he is the best choice at this time in our history.

There are other options out there, but I care about the GOP, that is my main concern and I will, as always, be proudly casting my vote for the candidate with the R next to his name and that will be Senator McCain.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Rosmerta on June 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Now that’s funny!!

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Rosmerta on June 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Now that’s funny!!

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Actually, JiangxiDad has claimed (offered) ownership of the plan. That way we can remove the Robin Williams myth from what otherwise is a really good plan! :)

Rosmerta on June 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Now that’s funny!!

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Keemo on June 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM

The fact that barry is an America hating, corrupt, racist, marxist phony isn’t an issue?

I don’t think barry has the right to talk about any other issues until he explains why he surrounded himself with America hating racists for the last 20 years. There is plenty of documentation out there showing these people have always been the way they are and didn’t turn this way in the last 6 months. Until he gives an intelligent rational explanation there are no other issues.

And I agree with the earlier post, the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth were honorable, honest patriots. They brought out the truth about another lowlife, Americ hating liberal.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM

America

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 7:09 PM

So Obama first tossed Rev. Wright, and now Fr. Pfleger, then quit TUCC. Will all of this apologetic showmanship erase the past twenty years of hate whitey? I can’t see how!

byteshredder on June 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Well, it’s an issue if you are supporting him. Who cares what he has surrounded himself with, I don’t care because I am not supporting him, so to me it’s a non issue.

Again what does Barak Obama’s church have to do with what the Republicans are going to do going forward regarding the problems the American people are facing?

Barack Obama’s church is irrelevant, unless of course you are considering voting for him. Or if you are harvesting ratings on TV or radio.

The party that wastes time smearing the other side without discussing substance – looses – bigtime.

Again, who cares about his silly church?

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Or I should say, “and you care about his church becuase….?”

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Again what does Barak Obama’s church have to do with

Nearly half the country voted for gore and kerry. If the republicans don’t point out how dysfunctional barry is, do you think the media will. The same dopey people who voted for gore and kerry will vote for barry and a large portion of the “independants” will vote for him because it would be cool to have a black president.

Now please explain how you believe his America hating church and all his close personal America hating spitiual advisors and friends aren’t relevant to the campaign.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 8:31 PM

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 8:31 PM

But Kerry still lost the last time I checked. I disagree with you. Forget the church, with his voting record and his inexperience he will not win, he will lose on that.

But the more you people go after that stupid church it will backfire, just like it backfired when they were going after Clinton during Lewinsky. The public felt sorry for Bill Clinton. The same will happen here, they will not see his church as the racists they will see those who are trying to smear them.

Obama will and can loose on the issues, not on whether the Far Right believes Rev Wright is a racist or his church hates America. In the scheme of things it’s all conjecture.

The voting public does not like the attacks, those Southern GOPs did it and it bombed miserably.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM

When these 527s came out against McCain’s age they were the bad guys, they looked like they were launching a smear and the general public rebelled.

The public is turned off to these Lee Atwater type tactics in this campaign.

Again if it worked Obama would not have come back. It’s been tried and it failed.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Dave Rywall on June 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM
AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM

No one is forced to claim that they are a Christian.
A lot of people use their mouth to claim they they are a Christian.
If they aren’t willing to use that same mouth to confess the words of Romans 10:9 and 1 Corinthians 12:3, then I choose not to believe them.

If you don’t like that, why don’t you just accuse me of committing a hate crime?

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Nearly half the country voted for gore and kerry.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Yes, but also keep in mind that less than 4 years ago, our born-again Christian President received a greater percentage of the popular vote than any Democrat Presidential candidate has received since LBJ in 1964. And if you discount the ’64 election (I do, because the country was still recovering from the JFK assassination and wanted stability), then you have to go all the way back to FDR to find a Democrat who got a greater percentage of the popular vote than George W. Bush got in 2004.

This country is more conservative than liberal. Both Clinton and Obama, with their votes in favor of partial birth abortion and against chief justice Roberts and justice Alito, have shown themselves to be far, far, left. Clinton manages to appear more mainstream than the clearly Marxist Obama, but don’t be fooled…they are two peas in a pod. The only significant area where they differ is the war, but Hillary was forced to take a pro-war stance in the wake of 9/11, while Obama had the luxury of only joining the Senate in 2004, so he can say he was always against the war (that we are winning). However, make no mistake…they are both Socialists. Have you checked out Hillary’s Wellesley thesis (which she later tried to suppress)?

“THERE IS ONLY THE FIGHT…”
An Analysis of the Alinsky Model

Hillary D. Rodham
Political Science
2 May, 1969

Chapters:
1. SAUL DAVID ALINSKY: AN AMERICAN RADICAL
2. THE ALINSKY METHOD OF ORGANIZING: THREE CASE STUDIES
3. “A PRIZE PIECE OF POLITICALPORNOGRAPHY”
4. PERSPECTIVES ON ALINSKY AND HIS MODEL
5. REALIZING LIFE AFTER BIRTH

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM

No one is forced to claim that they are a Christian.
A lot of people use their mouth to claim they they are a Christian.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Oh honey, now you are giving yourself too much credit and far too much clout….a hate crime?

What planet are you from or better yet from what Left leaning blog?

Who’s your leader and who sent you here to sock-puppet-us into a stupor?

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 9:21 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 9:21 PM

I gave you the HotAir Headline link earlier. It’s now a “red meat” blog entry in the right-hand column.

What planet are you from or better yet from what Left leaning blog?

April, past experience has shown me that people who accuse me of being a troll are frequently trolls themselves. Your liberal interpretation of “swiftboating” is also highly suspicious.

Who’s your leader and who sent you here to sock-puppet-us into a stupor?

Here’s my leader.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I gave you the HotAir Headline link earlier.

Good for you, it’s unfortunate that that’s what is Red Meat to us, prosletyzing in another country.

I think you are too judgemental along Christian lines.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Akzed on June 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I agree, this could get really ugly.

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Akzed on June 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM
I agree, this could get really ugly.

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I think it will be Shaillary’s Code Pink-like cougar brigade doing the burning. Obama’s supporters are more educated, my sister and brother are supporting him. On the other hand Hillary has every Dixiecrat racist fem-nazi this side of hell.

Her supporters are the lowest of the low, the bottom of the barrel, uneducated conspiracy theory believeing idiots who balem the men of the world for every bad thing that has ever happened to them.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Here’s my leader.

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Amen sir.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM

These are the ones I keep running into.

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Red Pill –

You should watch yourself – God is watching.

Dave Rywall on June 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM

April, It’s not my job to judge other people (that’s God’s job). I am instructed, though, to check the fruit on the tree and discern wolves in sheep’s clothing.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I strive to be as much like Him as I can be. I fall short a lot. But it is not my intent to be judgmental, condescending, or pompous.

I also owe you an apology for the troll suspicions about you in my post at 10:09 PM. I went back and found this post from you, which no Dem troll could ever write…

I am so sorry I was led away from supporting Rev Huckabee here at HotAir, where he was trashed repeatedly and treated like a liberal whore.

He’s a good man, one who can forgive and one who really does practice The Golden Rule.

He is an Atticus Finch and we lost a great opportunity to have him as our nominee.

AprilOrit on March 19, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Red Pill on June 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM

These are the ones I keep running into.

labrat on June 1, 2008 at 10:58 PM

For what pray tell???

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Red Pill, look with all due respect my friend – regarding religion I do not like to second guess other’s faith or their lack of.

I feel that is hard to do without standing in their shoes, and I am not God.

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 12:21 AM

For what pray tell???

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM

To “try my faith”, I suppose.

labrat on June 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM

To “try my faith”, I suppose.

labrat on June 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Fem nazis have no faith, they lack it on all levels. Remember, they believe men are the root of all evil, they’re misguided.

If she loses they will be the ones running amuck out side of that convention burning everything in sight, including their bras, and exposing themselves because for no good reason other than they have women’s lib and they think they can.

It will be enough to turn you to a pillar of salt if you dare look….

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Monday Morning Fireworks?

platypus on June 2, 2008 at 1:33 AM

No argument here. I dealt with them during my time in the military, and now in the private sector. Not to knock those in your family supporting Obama, but the Obama supporters I’m aquainted with, though educated, are not thinkers and can’t be reasoned with. He’s the Cosmo Kramer of politics, the hipster doofus, running a campaign about nothing, yet there really is this psuedo-messianic aura surrounding this guy. He doesn’t have supporters, he has disciples. This is what makes him dangerous.

It will be enough to turn you to a pillar of salt if you dare look….

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM

If either of these two is elected, we’ll all be heading for the hills. I won’t look back.

labrat on June 2, 2008 at 6:05 AM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM

You make absolutely no sense at all. How old are you, 14?

peacenprosperity on June 2, 2008 at 7:56 AM

labrat on June 2, 2008 at 6:05 AM

I agree. But it actually didn’t start with Obama…

In a sermon delivered by Rev. Jesse Jackson on Nov. 22, 1992, he hailed Clinton’s election as “the dawn of a new day.” “God has raised up a leader from amongst the common people,” Jackson said of Clinton. “It’s appropriate to look for a new leader, a new savior, but with that must go new behavior,” Jackson said. God gave Moses a “10-point urban policy plan,” Jackson said referring to the Ten Commandments; such ethical principles should guide ordinary Americans as they seek to fulfill their part of the New Covenant.

Source

Red Pill on June 2, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Now it seems the Republcans can only talk bad about Obama and his church.

Facts, these are facts.

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Facts or facts. The states you stated are heavily black, it has been shown they don’t care what he does…
What you don’t understand is that a campaign can have multiple fronts, it can “multi-task”.
You see McCain can talk about security, and Obama’s questionable relationships.
As far as the fringe, this election may be decided by the “undecided”,the fringe.
When an issue is hot, you drive it home, this issue is hot.

oh really?

right2bright on June 2, 2008 at 10:41 AM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM
You make absolutely no sense at all. How old are you, 14?

peacenprosperity on June 2, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Probably too young for you to handle….

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM

oh really?

right2bright on June 2, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Yeah, really.

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I will say this, it’s bizarre to see The Far Right going after religious figures the way the The Far Left went after The Moral Majority.

20 years ago it was the other way around. The Gays were after Falwell & crew and now we have evolved and it’s the reverse.

AprilOrit on June 2, 2008 at 11:06 AM

it’s bizarre to see The Far Right going after religious figures

wright and phlemmer aren’t religious figures, the are radical leftist activists.

peacenprosperity on June 2, 2008 at 12:15 PM

peacenprosperity on June 2, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Amen. Wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 7:15-20

The fruit on Obama’s tree is bad fruit:
Wright, Ayers, Rezko, Zbigniew Brzezinski, George Soros, etc.

Red Pill on June 2, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I agree. But it actually didn’t start with Obama…

Red Pill on June 2, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Right. Obama’s actions here are typical of the left. They have no allegiance, whatsoever, to anything or anyone – except themselves. They have a new “messiah” now. So, toss the old overboard, spit on them, and go on. Obama did it with his “church”, he’ll do it with his country.

labrat on June 2, 2008 at 5:09 PM

AprilOrit on June 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM

April, again, this is not a church, it’s a tax exempt, weekly political rally. It’s fair game.

labrat on June 2, 2008 at 5:27 PM