Bob Dole says that Bob Dole doesn’t like Scott McClellan

posted at 2:10 pm on May 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

How angry did Bob Dole get over Scott McClellan’s new, dishy memoir of his days in the White House? Dole forgot to use the third person, that’s how angry. Politico’s Jonathan Martin intercepts an e-mail missive that redefines “flame”:

“There are miserable creatures like you in every administration who don’t have the guts to speak up or quit if there are disagreements with the boss or colleagues,” Dole wrote in a message sent yesterday morning. “No, your type soaks up the benefits of power, revels in the limelight for years, then quits, and spurred on by greed, cashes in with a scathing critique.” …

“In my nearly 36 years of public service I’ve known of a few like you,” Dole writes, recounting his years representing Kansas in the House and Senate. “No doubt you will ‘clean up’ as the liberal anti-Bush press will promote your belated concerns with wild enthusiasm. When the money starts rolling in you should donate it to a worthy cause, something like, ‘Biting The Hand That Fed Me.’ Another thought is to weasel your way back into the White House if a Democrat is elected. That would provide a good set up for a second book deal in a few years[.]“

Bob Dole isn’t known as a knee-jerk defender of this administration, which makes this out-of-center-field slam all the more significant. Later in the message, Dole accuses McClellan of cowardice and a lack of integrity, noting that the former press secretary had two years to speak up about his concerns, and three years in his position before that to make his feelings known. It’s a roasting that recalls the temperament that flashed during the 1976 campaign against Carter and Mondale.

For my part, I don’t consider McClellan worth the effort. Press secretaries attend meetings after policy gets made, not during it. McClellan simply isn’t enough of a historical figure to warrant the attention. I’ll wait for other memoirs and then calculate McClellan’s worth.

Comments

I like Bob Dole, Bob Dole is cool.

Chakra Hammer on May 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM

29Victor says pwn!

29Victor on May 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM

His letter was hilarious.

Warner Todd Huston on May 30, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Sigh. Bob Dole usually speaks of himself in the first person. Do we get “Gerald Ford was a cluless clutz” jokes next?

funky chicken on May 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Is McClellan worth it? No, probably not.

Is it still a truly amazing verbal asswhuppin’? Absolutely. I mean really crushing. Somewhere, I hope some Drill Sergeant is taking notes. If that was directed at me from someone with the sort of history of service Dole brings to the party, I’d call my mother and apologize for every grey hair on her head. Even the ones I’m not responsible for.

Spc Steve on May 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I admired the late Murray Kempton, who wrote elegantly even in such misguided causes as the Black Panthers. I believe his last vote in a Presidential election was for Bob Dole. It couldn’t have been easy for him, but it will be a lot easier for me to vote for Senator McCain after 28 years of my family’s party.

mymanpotsandpans on May 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Interesting title the Politico used, considering the E.D. implications.

fossten on May 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

The headline here is worth the price of admission.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Is Scotty related to Major-General George B. McClellan who also thought of himself as the savior of the Government!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 30, 2008 at 2:22 PM

funky chicken on May 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Bob, is that you?

James on May 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

fossten on May 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Ewww!

Just…ewwww!
(Trying feverishly to get image out of head)

Rhinoboy on May 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

First thing I’ve read here in months a Republican politician has been quoted as saying and I’m pumping my fist in the air. Of course as expected, it’s an out-of-office (R) politician, but it’s baby steps.

Marcus on May 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

I agree with you that McClellan isn’t worth the effort. He was an awful press secretary (made more the clear with Ari’s reappearance this week to talk about his successor) but still…….

Hard not to stand up and cheer Dole’s comment “your type soaks up the benefits of power, revels in the limelight for years, then quits, and spurred on by greed, cashes in with a scathing critique.” …

Amen Brother Dole!

highhopes on May 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

The attacks continue… but it’s all personal, no one is attacking the facts. Note to Bob Dole: Bob Dole would be more effective by saying that McClellan is wrong on the facts, rather than decrying his lack of loyalty to the hand that fed him.

bayam on May 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Bob Dole is the ideal of what an elder statesman should be. Jimmuh Carter should take lessons.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Is McClellan worth the effort?

Absolutely not. His lies about the Bush administration should not be answered. When the democrats use the weasel’s words against Bush as some kind of ‘proof’ that Bush lied about Iraq, it’s not worth it. For all the people who don’t keep up with politics as much as some of us here, listen to McClellan’s accusations, and don’t hear a rebuttal because ‘it’s not worth it,’ and they come away with the notion that McClellan is speaking the truth, because few if any attempt to set the record straight …

then that’s just fine and dandy. Right?

wise_man on May 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Unlike Scott, Dole is not a coward. The old boy has balls.

Terrye on May 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Thanks Senator Dole.
A weenie does what a weenie is and they need to be called out.

sheriff246 on May 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Thank God for Father Eminem* because I think McClellan definitely got moved to the back burner.

Marcus on May 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

BOB DOLE has displayed more backbone from any conservative in the last five years in that letter! BOB DOLE knows BOB DOLE. I suggest JOHN MCCAIN start studying BOB DOLE. To be sure, BOB DOLE seems the heart and soul of the GOP now and BOB DOLE knows that to be true. Now I’m off to my storage shed to find some of those old BOB DOLE campaign signs; a real man this BOB DOLE! I haven’t seen any of that for a while. Go BOB DOLE!

IntheNet on May 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Like I said in the previous thread, McClellan is now going to be Dick Morris of this administration.

Lance Murdock on May 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

bayam on May 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Actually, Rove went after Mclellan’s claims, especially where he knew what Libby and Rove discussed in a meeting. Mclellan never attended the meeting, and Rove and Libby didn’t discuss it with him.

Anyway, if Mclellan felt this way, why didn’t he give any indication of it? Why did he stick around for 3 years after the war began? Even David Gregory said Mclellen never made any indication he was concerned.

amerpundit on May 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Cannonball likes Bob Dole’s honesty.
Cannonball likes the fact that Bob Dole has the guts and desire to send an honest message.
Bob Dole should be proud of Bob Dole.

cannonball on May 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

This is as close to that ballroom cocktails down-dressing Fred MacMurry gets at the end of The Caine Mutiny as real life can offer. Pass the strawberries.

mymanpotsandpans on May 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM

amerpundit on May 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

How long was he in, before the War?

Wanna bet that Mclellan was in for the bennies. After a certain amount of time, you reach a block where you are vested in the Federal Gov for retirement.

upinak on May 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

And Babe Ruth would have had a better batting average if he bunted more.

mymanpotsandpans on May 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Is it too late for Dole to be the VP choice?

(I kid, I kid.)

cs89 on May 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

He’s Bob Dole and he approves his message!

kcd on May 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

We need a Dana Carvey impression of Dole here :)

Richard Romano on May 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Bob Dole has earned the right to say whatever he wants about the enemies of this country.

EJDolbow on May 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM

It serves a purpose in that Bob Dole hasn’t been heard from much in recent years, and when he has, he’s been the media’s second-favorite Republican after John McCain (like McCain, the media has generally liked Dole, except when he was running for president). An attack by Dole can be labeled partisan, but it’s not as if Dole’s been issuing many press releases going after Democrats since Liddy was elected to the Senate.

jon1979 on May 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM

We need a Dana Carvey impression of Dole here :)

Richard Romano on May 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Norm MacDonald?

James on May 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM

He had to get his book out now to maximize his rewards. I don’t know if any of what he wrote is true but after January there are going to be dozen’s of ‘What Happened’ books on the shelf. His book would have gotten lost in the crowd.

In other words he Fast Eddie’d the administration. Good ol capitalism at work. Next up is the Scotty Action Figure.

Limerick on May 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Ed, please consider importing the comments from the headlines thread on same topic. Thanks ahead,

Entelechy on May 30, 2008 at 2:44 PM

McClellan isn’t worth the effort.
Ayers isn’t worth the effort.
Wright isn’t worth the effort.
Pfleger isn’t worth the effort.
Soros isn’t worth the effort.

Winning isn’t worth the effort.

Merovign on May 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Bob Dole’s best reference was “miserable creatures like you.” Dole really didn’t stand a chance against Bill Clinton but there was nothing wrong with him either as a person or a candidate. He would have done a good job.

BigD on May 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Limerick – the more I read today the more I think poor Scotty just got used, bigtime. He’s been on all the news shows and even did an online chat at the WaPo today, and he is desperately trying to sell that the book is about the “Washington partisan attack machine” and the “permanent campaign” that he thinks the Bush White House got sucked into, and that he needed a couple of years away for it to all come into focus. The really does sound plausible. But the liberal haters who edited and published the book knew it had some nuggets that they could release early and embellish to fan the flames of the Bush-haters in the media (not to mention sell a shitload of books.)

Scotty has just proven in spades that he is a total dumbass, so bad at understanding and dealing with the media that he could not even control the release of his own damn book. What a colossal tool.

rockmom on May 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Wise Golden thinks we need more Bob Doles.

Wise Golden on May 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

rockmom on May 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

You may well be right rockmom. It all boils down to a he-said-she-said game.

Limerick on May 30, 2008 at 2:56 PM

down boy!

jp on May 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Norm MacDonald?

Nope, Dana Carvey — he did Dole’s impression, along with a pretty amazing George H.W. Bush.

Richard Romano on May 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

McClellan simply isn’t enough of a historical figure to warrant the attention.-ed

Agreed, but Keith O., after wiping the slobber from the book cover, said it is one of the greatest documents of history over the last 7 years. He said it should be taught in schools for many years to come.

kirkill on May 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Richard Romano on May 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Eh, should’ve left that question mark off, because it WAS Norm.

Dana Carvey did Bush the Elder and Ross Perot.

James on May 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Second look at Bob Dole!

As I have said on these pages several times in the recent past:

It would be great if the GOP has been able to come up with a nominee that could rise to the level of even Bob Dole for this election.

LegendHasIt on May 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Now that Bob Dole has weighed in Scott McClellan is really wondering “What Happened?” Go Bob Dole!

HotJavaJack on May 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Glad to see Bob Dole smack down McClellan on the sad turncoat’s “Hello, sailor” moment.

viking01 on May 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I have read your lousy review of Margaret’s concert. I’ve come to the conclusion that you are an eight ulcer man on a four ulcer job … Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you’ll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes and perhaps a supporter below.
Letter to critic Paul Hume, as quoted in TIME magazine (18 December 1950)

Truman. Wikipedia.

mymanpotsandpans on May 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Whether McClellan is worth criticizing or not, Bob Dole has earned the right to assess McClellan’s actions and pronounce him a “miserable creature”. Frankly, I think that was probably a kind description. The words that come to my mind are vicious, disloyal, incompetent, hack, and not terribly bright.

Jill1066 on May 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Look Folks, Scotty saw opportunity to cut a book deal and did just that. Persons of negotiable character are not worthy of my concern these days. Hell, the Socialists, Oops, I meant Democrats are nothing less than that.

They offered two totally unacceptable candidates for Commander in Chief and the Republicans offered a marginal one. Scotty’s book is irrelevent and I can smell the bias from a mile off. He specialised in Domestic Issues for the Bush Administration, not Foreign Issues. He is clearly talking out of his a$$ and is selling a book that has zero credibility. Bush bashing is now in vogue but after November it will mean zilch.

Scotty was and is small fry. He just confirmed it. We have far larger concerns right now. We have four dark years ahead, starting in January, 2009. The Socialists will gain majority in the Senate and the House. Veto proof majority if I am sensing it right. Intolerable taxation, Amnesty for All, The UN having sway over Policies both Foreign and Domestic if Omama Rama Ding Dong gets elected and the revision of the American Dream in devestating fashion. Third World Nation status and a ruined economy are at our door.

As much as it pains me, John McCain is the guy that We must get elected. Ted Kennedy is on the way out so His influence will no longer be an issue. It all starts with Congressional elections and Senate seats. Otherwise the Socialists will have their way with things. I don’t want that!

Scotty got a book deal and that is that. He is just another punk with dollar signs in his eyes.

We have far larger concerns right now.

Damn it all, I feel better getting that said. I spent 32 years of my adult life in uniform as the last resort when Foreign Policy and Diplomacy fell on it’s A$$. Lets focus on preserving Our Nation and let poor dumbassed Scotty fade into irrelevence.

I hope that I have offened your sensitivities. Now is the time to be less sensitive and more objective. There is a lot at risk right now!

old trooper on May 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Weren’t the greatest documents of history stuffed down Sandy Berger’s boxer shorts and then relegated to a DC dumpster.

Those would be the documents that revealed the negligence and cowardice of a sitting president, that led to the worst loss of life from enemy attack on U.S. soil.

Yeh, those documents.

fogw on May 30, 2008 at 3:16 PM

There once was a man from Texas
Who’s career with Bush had a nexus.
He took the appointment
He perceived it as an anointment,
Then Bush’ back with a knife did he vex us.

cannonball on May 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM

THIS Bob Dole would have gotten elected in 1996.

otcconan on May 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

McClellan’s problem is that he’s so obviously feeble a character that there were no doors open for him when he left the White House. He had to make a buck somehow.

Sticking a shiv in the back of his former employer just seemed like a good idea.

Cicero43 on May 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Scotty was a good little puppet
Sorta like one of the Muppets
They pulled all his strings
As he worked the West Wing
Now he carries his money in buckets

Limerick on May 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Apparently Bob Dole and baldilocks share an absolute love and admiration for spineless, stammering, ball-less sons of unmarried mothers who would sell out their mothers for thirty pieces of silver, not to mention their benefactors.

baldilocks on May 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

This is the Bob Dole I like. He is not always my favorite Republican, but no one could say that he would be such a spineless sellout as Snotty Scotty McClellan. And, while I think this will die soon, look for the Dems to bring it up and Sen.”F— You” McCain to once again fumble and somehow blame conservatives. He always does!

righty64 on May 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Scotty was given a big chance
To do the big capital swing dance
He performed quite like trash
And now’s desperate for cash
So he’s pimping himself as a freelance.

Limerick — you get me going.

BigD on May 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Great quote from one of the most underrated presidential candidates in America.
And his quote goes for both side of the aisle. I think that is what the outrage is about; traitor is a traitor, no matter if they are a dem or a Republican.

right2bright on May 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

funky chicken on May 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Lighten up, Francis. Bob Dole joked about it himself.

Norm MacDonald: Aw, come on now, Senator, it’s a great impression. Listen to this: [ speaking in his Bob Dole voice ] “Come November 5th, a lot of people are going to be surprised by Bob Dole, because Bob Dole’s gonna win this election!”

Bob Dole: [ shaking head ] Doesn’t sound a thing like me. First of all, I don’t run around saying “Bob Dole does this” nd “Bob Dole does that.” That’s not something Bob Dole does. It’s not something Bob Dole has ever done, and it’s not something Bob Dole will ever do!

Hollowpoint on May 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

mymanpotsandpans on May 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM

snickers

upinak on May 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Bob Dole earned the right to say what he thinks whenever he wants, however he wants. That Bob Dole explicated Scott McClellan for the numbskull press is worthy of appreciative admiration. Unlike Scotty, Bob neither needed nor used a ghost writer. Two thumbs up!

maverick muse on May 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Wow, that Viagara makes you potent in more ways than one.

sdd on May 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

BTW, McCain, this is how to win.

maverick muse on May 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Bob Dole is too kind. If I stated my unabridged opinion of that slimy little pariah McClellan, you wouldn’t be able to publish it. He’s nothing but a rotten pile of rat feces and the mere mention of his name makes my skin crawl and my blood boil.

rplat on May 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Got in Late on the other thread… So here it is again…

I remember asking myself why is Scott McClellan leaving the WH in Apr. of 2006 before an election… Granted he was the worst WH Speaker in a long time… The only thing I could think of back then… Was little boy was running home to his momma… Reason why follows below…

Now I keep hearing how Scott McCJudas has been a life long Repu. But I disagree… I don’t think he’s been a Repu. since Dec. 2005… Why do u ask… Well there was an election for Gov. of Texas in 2006…

Texas 2006 Governor Election
Rick Perry (R) – 39.09%
Chris Bell (D) – 29.76%
James Werner (L) – 0.61%
Richard “Kinky” Friedman (I) – 12.55%

I remember thinking… Oh, Oh… This guy just got crush… He must be pissed… His Momma just got crushed in Texas ‘05 Repu. primaries & then in the ‘06 Gov. election… I am talking about Carole Keeton Strayhorn (I) – 17.97% (who spent June through December of 2005 seeking the Republican nomination)… AKA.. Scotty’s Momma…

Pres. Bush; Rove & the most of the Repu. establishment went with Gov. Rick Perry… He was the incumbent & Strayhorn was #2 with only one spot… She ran as a spoiler… And it seems McCJudus just found a way to make some quick cash(nothing wrong with that unless Obama Husaini wins)& give some payback to the guyz that didn’t help his momma become Gov. of Texas…

I just can’t believe no one in the MSM or even the Blogs remember that Scotty is not a uninterested party… There is history for his BS…

Y314K on May 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

bayam:

Facts??? This is a memoir by a turncoat. If you want facts and some dates and some intelligent discussion of some of the stupid claims in this stupid book go to big lizards. He has a couple of posts that actually use some source material. Which is more than can be said for Scotty’s books. Footnotes?? I don’t need no stinkin footnotes the little man said.

Terrye on May 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM

One day on Wikipedia under “Persona non grata” will be a picture of Scott McClellen

Bicyea on May 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

He’s still a great patriot. I miss his type, Really do

God Bless you senator Dole.

Texyank on May 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

baldilocks on May 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

But Carolyn is so proud of her Scotty’s book. KXAN-TV Austin featured her interview 17 hours ago.

Carolyn Keeton McClellan Rylander Strayhorn said that her son Scott McClellan was originally reluctant to accept the White House press secretary job, “because it meant he was speaking for others and not himself. His White House experience was a positive one, and he still holds the president in high regard, but this was a story that had to be told and a book that had to be written. He feels a real responsibility to tell the people of America the truth, and he owes it to the people of America to tell them the truth, what went wrong, where it went off track and how we can make it better, and that’s the whole reason he wrote the book, and I told him I’m so proud of him. Every word is ‘so Scott.’ And when you read the book, and I encourage people to read it. Many of the people who are his critics haven’t read the book, they’re going by the bullet points from the White House puts out: ‘Oh, he’s disgruntled.’ He’s not disgruntled.”

BTW, she was still married to Strayhorn when she ran as “one tough gramma” for TX Gov. She’s of the generation of women libbers who kept their maiden name. She’s doing what she can to Keep Austin Weird by changing her ID so frequently–and people actually keeping up with her name changes and party changes in her political career.

maverick muse on May 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Bob Dole should have challenged McClellan to a duel.

newton on May 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

funky chicken on May 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Bob, is that you?

James on May 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Ha!

JS on May 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I Can’t believe it took a week for this to come to light to someone in the MSM….

Like I said… This all started with Mommy dearest not getting the Texas ’06 Gov. Nominee…

“one tough gramma” goes ind. on Dec. ’05 + Baby McCJudis quits by Apr. ’06 = ’08 regurgitate all moon bats stereotypes into a book… $$$$+MSM love fest…

Texans say McClellan’s turn started at home with mom http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/may/30/texans-say-mcclellans-turn-started-at-home-with-mo/

Doing good by mommy & making some cash & quick friends on the side… Runs in the family… Might be “one tough gramma”…. But one weak Baby McCJudis… No wonder he sucked so much in front of the press…

Y314K on May 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Bob Dole is off his meds…..and I LIKE IT!

wildweasel on May 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

James on May 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Perfect

29Victor on May 30, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Carolyn Keeton McClellan Rylander Strayhorn

How many times has this nutter been married?

funky chicken on May 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Bob Dole is off his meds…..and I LIKE IT!

wildweasel on May 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hopefully, for his wife’s sake, not the “med” he advertises.

EJDolbow on May 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Carolyn Keeton McClellan Rylander Strayhorn
How many times has this nutter been married?

funky chicken on May 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM

3 times that we know of…

Y314K on May 30, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I remember McClellan when he took over the podium for GWB. I thought he sucked from day one. He seemed to stumble around, act distracted and seemed less than professional. He had none of Ari’s smoothness or class.

I don’t doubt his misgivings are genuine, he was just too well paid to make anything of them — THEN. What a snake.

leftnomore on May 30, 2008 at 5:52 PM

fogw on May 30, 2008 at 3:16 PM

You got that right fogw!

Liberty or Death on May 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Hopefully, for his wife’s sake, not the “med” he advertises.

EJDolbow

HA!!

leftnomore on May 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM

It’s too bad we didn’t see the real Bob Dole–this Bob Dole–in 1996. One has to wonder if he had been himself during that Presidential campaign, would we even have a Clinton to talk about now?

Wildcatter1980 on May 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM

My understanding is Ari recommended Scott, he was his assistant. And it was Joshua Bolten, the new Chief of Staff who sent him packing. Might be some bad blood there.

Terrye on May 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Speaking of really awesome verbal smackdowns:

February 6, 2006

The Honorable Barack Obama
United States Senate
SH-713
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator Obama:

I would like to apologize to you for assuming that your private assurances to me regarding your desire to cooperate in our efforts to negotiate bipartisan lobbying reform legislation were sincere. When you approached me and insisted that despite your leadership’s preference to use the issue to gain a political advantage in the 2006 elections, you were personally committed to achieving a result that would reflect credit on the entire Senate and offer the country a better example of political leadership, I concluded your professed concern for the institution and the public interest was genuine and admirable. Thank you for disabusing me of such notions with your letter to me dated February 2, 2006, which explained your decision to withdraw from our bipartisan discussions. I’m embarrassed to admit that after all these years in politics I failed to interpret your previous assurances as typical rhetorical gloss routinely used in politics to make self-interested partisan posturing appear more noble. Again, sorry for the confusion, but please be assured I won’t make the same mistake again.

As you know, the Majority Leader has asked Chairman Collins to hold hearings and mark up a bill for floor consideration in early March. I fully support such timely action and I am confident that, together with Senator Lieberman, the Committee on Governmental Affairs will report out a meaningful, bipartisan bill.

You commented in your letter about my “interest in creating a task force to further study” this issue, as if to suggest I support delaying the consideration of much-needed reforms rather than allowing the committees of jurisdiction to hold hearings on the matter. Nothing could be further from the truth. The timely findings of a bipartisan working group could be very helpful to the committee in formulating legislation that will be reported to the full Senate. Since you are new to the Senate, you may not be aware of the fact that I have always supported fully the regular committee and legislative process in the Senate, and routinely urge Committee Chairmen to hold hearings on important issues. In fact, I urged Senator Collins to schedule a hearing upon the Senate’s return in January.

Furthermore, I have consistently maintained that any lobbying reform proposal be bipartisan. The bill Senators Joe Lieberman and Bill Nelson and I have introduced is evidence of that commitment as is my insistence that members of both parties be included in meetings to develop the legislation that will ultimately be considered on the Senate floor. As I explained in a recent letter to Senator Reid, and have publicly said many times, the American people do not see this as just a Republican problem or just a Democratic problem. They see it as yet another run-of-the-mill Washington scandal, and they expect it will generate just another round of partisan gamesmanship and posturing. Senator Lieberman and I, and many other members of this body, hope to exceed the public’s low expectations. We view this as an opportunity to bring transparency and accountability to the Congress, and, most importantly, to show the public that both parties will work together to address our failings.

As I noted, I initially believed you shared that goal. But I understand how important the opportunity to lead your party’s effort to exploit this issue must seem to a freshman Senator, and I hold no hard feelings over your earlier disingenuousness. Again, I have been around long enough to appreciate that in politics the public interest isn’t always a priority for every one of us. Good luck to you, Senator.

Sincerely,

John McCain
United States Senate

I am looking forward to the debates.

Sekhmet on May 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Second look at Bob Dole!

As I have said on these pages several times in the recent past:

LegendHasIt on May 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Agreed. I miss Bob.

One of my greatest regrets is not voting for him when I had a chance. I would today.

I did visit his home town once. And stopped in a gas station just to ask where his house was. The locals weren’t amused. And this was even before the ED commercials.

I miss Norm McDonald doing Bob Dole, too.

Sigh. This election is so lame.

Professor Blather on May 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM

By the way, You Go Bob Dole! That had to leave a mark!

Sekhmet on May 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM

kirkill on May 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

That just goes to affirm the state of the socialist incubators referred to as public schools.

highhopes on May 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Interesting title the Politico used, considering the E.D. implications.

fossten on May 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

I hadn’t clicked it until reading your post. I thought it was going to say something about “getting a rise out of Bob Dole.”

mikeyboss on May 30, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Now that is candor! On the mark.

mariloubaker on May 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I too thought of Harry Truman when I read Bob Dole’s words. We can only wonder about what HST would have said. There are none like him today, but we should all strive to tell the truth and let them think it’s hell.

McClellan is a disgrace to his ancestors, his wife, his children, any lovers he might have, and everyone who has ever shaken his hand and now has to wash it. It is bad to bite the hand that fed you; it is worse to be paid for it. It is possible to be a prostitute and still be honest and honorable; not so for a turncoat. A person should discharge his noblest parts through his deeds and his words; McClellan’s noblest parts are what he leaves behind him in the toilet. He is a backstabber and his publisher a vampire lapping at the blood. It is altogether fitting that he shares the name of McClellan the Copperhead.

njcommuter on May 31, 2008 at 4:04 AM

What Bob Dole has to say doesn’t mean squat to me. He was hired by and lobbied for Dubai Ports World to take over control of several U.S. ports.

MrC_5150 on May 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM