Obama “disappointed,” Pfleger “deeply sorry” for comments about Hillary; Update: Hillary’s camp rips Pfleger

posted at 6:34 pm on May 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Wouldn’t you know it, not only is Obama surprised to find his friend of 20 years spouting the sort of rhetoric for which he’s famous in Chicago for spouting, but Pfleger himself sounds surprised. Amazing how much he and his circle of confidants managed to miss about their own behavior over the past few, er, decades.

“As I have traveled this country, I’ve been impressed not by what divides us, but by all that that unites us. That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger’s divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn’t reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause,” Obama said in a statement…

Response of Rev. Michael L. Pfleger of statements made during a sermon on Sunday, May 25, 2008[:]

“I regret the words I chose on Sunday. These words are inconsistent with Senator Obama’s life and message, and I am deeply sorry if they offended Senator Clinton or anyone else who saw them.”

I wonder if either of them even read those statements before they were put out. This little kerfuffle provides us with the first evidence I’ve seen, incidentally, of pro-Hillary lefties softening a bit on Obama. Check out the refrain at Talk Left about how Pfleger, whose endorsement until recently was featured on Barry O’s “faith” webpage, “has nothing to do with Barack Obama.” Exit question: Does the following clip have nothing to do with him either? It’s Pfleger again, at Trinity again a few months ago, lying through his teeth in vintage Team Obama fashion about what Bill Clinton meant with his “fairy tale” comment and then proceeding to offer the same defense of Wright — that the soundbites don’t represent the real man — that Obama himself once did. Before, that is, he figured out that they do. “Surprise” again.

Update: Carpe diem, Howard Wolfson.

“Divisive and hateful language like that is totally counterproductive in our efforts to bring our party together and have no place at the pulpit or in our politics. We are disappointed that Senator Obama didn’t specifically reject Father’s Pflegler’s dispicable [sic] comments about Senator Clinton, and assume he will do so.”

Comments

Rev John Hagee got flak because he believes God used the Holocaust to get the Jews back to the Promised Land. The gutless McCain even went so far as to denounce Hagee. Why is there no media coverage of the hate coming out of this apostate church? If this were a church in Selma, AL, a white preacher preaching hate against black people, there would no end of the media coverage. And you can bet that Selma church would lose its tax status too.

abcurtis on May 30, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Divisive…Obama’s getting a lot of use out of that word lately.

jackmac on May 30, 2008 at 8:08 AM

The gutless McCain even went so far as to denounce Hagee.

Sort of like the gutless Obambi denouncing Wright, Ayers, Farrakhan, and Pfleger? Er …. exactly like, except McCain didn’t attend Hagee’s church for twenty years.

Why is there no media coverage of the hate coming out of this apostate church?

Because of the media’s right wing bias.

fogw on May 30, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Barack Obama is a guy formed in the crucible of the hate that is Trinity and, just like Wright, suggests that he wants to end the divisiveness.

I’m not buying it.

drjohn on May 30, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Yes I agree with most on the left that there is institutional racism in America. But to their and Obama’s dismay its almost all in these black churches like Trinity and in black organization like the NAACP. Stamp out racism in black churches first and we can move forward on this race thing.

mustng66 on May 30, 2008 at 9:03 AM

You gotta be from Chicago to get it all on this guy. The coppers say he’s been let go more than once on some “questionable behavior” stuff. When he is on local TV he talks pretty white…then switches on the “brother” when he does this…kinda like Gore TRIED to. Police hater…go look him up.

LtE126 on May 30, 2008 at 7:16 AM

PLEASE let somebody find footage of Obambi at a “free Mumia” rally or during a sermon by Wright or Pfleger abolut Mumia. McCain will win Pennsylvania by double digits.

rockmom on May 30, 2008 at 9:07 AM

How many members of his posse is Hussein going to have to whack? When he moves back to Chicago mid-November he’s going to be a lonely guy.

Akzed on May 30, 2008 at 9:09 AM

rockmom on May 30, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Or better yet, since these 20 years and thousands of hours are taken out of context and have never been seen by Barry, maybe someone should just post video of several complete Sunday morning sermons so we can all get a feel of what is like to sit in those pews for 20 years and be brought to Jesus. Are they out there? I would be willing to sit through a few just to see.

yakwill83 on May 30, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I was taught “birds of a feather flock together” and “one bad apple makes the whole barrel bad”. We are all judged by who we have as friends. People that do drugs hang together, drinkers hang together, racists hang together, conservatives hang together. It is human nature to seek out those who think and behave as you do. Barry Hussain Obama is a racist and thinks the church he attends.

Grayzel on May 30, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Wright is one of the greatest Biblical scholars this nation has? Doesn’t being a great Biblical scholar require a basic understanding of the themes of the Bible?

Grafted on May 30, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Again we have an unprincipled socialist who says what he thinks/believes and then when the stuff hits the fan and it affects the Anointed One he backs down. This tells me he has no principles. Does he really believe what he said or not? Was it theater or truth? Once he gave his empty apology he lost his credibility and integrity.

Situational ethics are very grating.

Terri on May 30, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Fogw, you are trying to be funny aren’t you?

volsense on May 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Fogw, you are trying to be funny aren’t you?

volsense on May 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

What do you mean, trying? It was funny.

….. and the troll vanished.

fogw on May 30, 2008 at 10:21 AM

When I listen to this, it reminds me of the huge crowds of thugs gathered together in “The Warriors”.

Can…you…dig iiiiiiiiit?!!

Viewtifulgare on May 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Why is it that ever time one of these idiots shoots his stupid mouth off he says he’s sorry the next day.
If he was really sorry he wouldn’t have said it in the first place – He knew what he was saying and he meant every word of it – sorry in this case is meaningless – you say you’re sorry when you accidentally bump into someone.

LODGE4 on May 30, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Just look at the goof balls behind him whooping it up…that tells the whole story.

right2bright on May 30, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Situational ethics are very grating.

Terri on May 30, 2008 at 10:07 AM

That would be a good bumper sticker, if I trusted that most would know what you meant.

right2bright on May 30, 2008 at 10:31 AM

LODGE4 on May 30, 2008 at 7:37 AM

right2bright on May 30, 2008 at 10:29 AM

When you watch the video – you can hear the audience begin to react right before he tears into it. There is no doubt in my mind that this type of rant happens just about every week. They use similar words, they deliver the same message – and the audience can feel it coming.

It’s really sad that they spend so much time bashing whitey and blaming whitey for keeping the black man down – and not more time talking about God in that church.

If the audience is so accustomed to this type of ‘whitey is to blame’ for all the black man’s problems, and the audience is so familiar with this message, and this didn’t just happen over the last few months – this has got to be years and years of this brand of hate.

wise_man on May 30, 2008 at 10:38 AM

As previously referenced this article at National Review by Stanley Kurtz points out that it is worse than you think.

Pfleger is just one of a small group that have mentored Obama for the last 20 years. Hate, Bigotry and Black Separation are their stock and trade with coming reparations as their vig. Obama doesn’t just know these people, he party’s with them.

It would be as if David Duke were the leading repub nominee.

We are going around the bend.

patrick neid on May 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I don’t want anyone associated with that style of oratory near the whitehouse. Just because you scream something over and over does not make it true. When you start mixing in the “how dare you”s, you have a true formula for demagoguery.

culturism on May 30, 2008 at 11:03 AM

It would be as if David Duke were the leading repub nominee.
patrick neid on May 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Yes it would.

A republican lost his senate seat because of the “Macacca” youtube video. And the persons that Obama surrounded himself with, Wright, Pfleger, Ayers … means nothing. Of course he can claim to be surprised and shocked now, but most intelligent people know better to believe Obama’s claims.

wise_man on May 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Now think about . . . we have a presidential candidate that for 20 years has had close racist friends and advisors but never heard what they were saying or understood their politics or attitudes. This guy is either lost in a fog or is lying. In either case do you really want him running the country and in charge of the world’s most powerful military? To say the thought is frightening would be a gross understatement.

rplat on May 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM

The latest pastor remarks shows a pattern of hate, not on Barrack Obama’s part, but on Trinity United. This is still not good news for Obama though.

You have a church that KNOWS it is on the hotseat and anything controversial will be used against them and/or Obama. And they can’t keep quiet or have a softer more loving sermon? The reason… “THIS IS THEIR MESSAGE, THIS IS WHO THEY ARE. THEY CANNOT CHANGE THAT.”

This now shows unequivically that Obama’s “I didn’t know or hear any of those surmons while I was in the pue (which no one believed anyway)” is completely shot out of the water. Both pastors friends of obama, at the same church he attends, spewed anti-white hate.

For obama sympathizers “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.”

Butters on May 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Is there something wrong with my screen? This guy Pfleger looks Caucasian… or does nobody have the courage tell him that he is?

Doda McCheesle on May 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Doda McCheesle on May 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Maybe he watched Steve Martin’s film “The Jerk” and liked the part where Martin said he was born a poor black child. And that sorta stuck with Pfleger.

wise_man on May 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM

We are witnessing a significant evolution within the BHO campaign.

Very soon you will see Preconditioned Apologies.

Those will consists of:

a) I apologize today for what I might say tomorrow if it offends any of the following …

or

b) I apologize today for any divisive remarks made tomorrow by anyone whom might be connected to my campaign in the capacity of …

or

c) I apologize today, with no preconditions, for any policy statements I might make tomorrow that I then decide to deny the day after.

We will know the campaign has arrived when BHO decides to apologize for all the apologies, past, present and future, except those that were exempted by the preconditions defined under hope and change.

Yoop on May 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM

That’s it; you’re going to win over the white vote with a tool like this nobama. The cold hard truth is even with the moonbat and black vote you can’t win the white house. So keep it up douche bag and keep pissing off the average white folks who are bitter and clinging to their guns and god. Then you all can whine about this racist country for the next 100 years. Then again if America is so racist why haven’t you all left to your utopia mother Africa??? Maybe some are still bitter other Africans sold their family into slavery 200+ years ago.

Mojack420 on May 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I don’t particularly give a rat’s a_s as to whether Obama “regrets” what this guys said.

What I care about is this: I’m Catholic. This guy is supposed to be a priest. Where does he get off with this garbage? How does he get away with it? I have been to mass in a dozen countries and on three continents…I have never seen this kind of performance by a member of the clergy, and I hope I never do.

Where is this guy’s bishop? Or Archbishop…whatever. This guy is getting a bit too full of himself and he needs to be pulled in for a little heart-to-heart about things such as humility, lack of envy and where the Church stands on racism…last I heard we’re against it. Even against whites.

Blaise on May 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Too high
I can’t come down
It’s in the air
And it’s all around
Can you feel me now
_
With a taste of your lips
I’m on a ride
You’re toxic, I’m slipping under
_
With a taste of poison paradise
I’m addicted to you
Don’t you know that you’re toxic
And I love what you do
‘Cause you know that you’re toxic

SlimyBill on May 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM

What’s with all the yelling and histrionics from the pulpit. Looks like just another example of the white man coopting the black man’s culture. Right down to the hankechief to mop his brow.

Mallard T. Drake on May 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Could somebody write to Benedict XVI and have Pfleger excommunicated? On second thought, maybe we should wait until November…

Steve Z on May 30, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Am I to assume the Vatican or its Bishops have ordained this loathsome apostate “preacher?” If the Pope’s Chicago officials do nothing to denounce this hateful wretch, how can the Pope explain his inquisitions over the centuries that sought to maintain Catholic “doctrinal purity?” Can anyone out there tell me how this works, without using moral equivalence as an excuse?

leftnomore on May 30, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Steve Z

Steve, you beat me to it. Don’t count on il Papa to say a thing about it. It’s all about “church” membership, power and donations. There’s not a dime’s worth of difference between Pfleger’s Catholic “church” and Wright’s apostates. The Gospel was never a part of these institutions, it as about making Pfleger and Wright rich.

leftnomore on May 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM

So there’s my answer– the Chicago Catholic Cardinal gave Pfleger a slap down. But is it because he got on YouTube, and made the diocese look bad? He’s been known for this drama and antichrist belching for years. Just like Wright, it mattered NOT until it went viral.

leftnomore on May 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Real Christians are fond of saying “What Would Jesus Do”?

If He came to Trinity United Church of Christ, He might do what He did to the merchants in the Temple (Matthew 21:12)

But Obama says this church brought him to Jesus. Really?

Steve Z on May 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM

For as long as I can remember here in Chicago, the good Father Pfleger has done everything in his power to make noise, organize demonstrations against everything under the sun you can think of, and has generally made a nuisance of himself. He is like Jesse Jetstream Jackson. Place a camera and a microphone out there, and he’s there too!

This is why it is truly refreshing that finally, the rest of the country can see what we have had to put up with here for so long with Pfleger and his madcap antics.

Maybe this will finally shut this clown up, once and for all!

pilamaye on May 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Tapes are now surfacing on YouTube of a sermon given at the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago (Barack Obama’s Church) by activist Roman Catholic priest, Michael Pfleger. The sermon was given on May 25, 2008. Pfleger is a controversial priest who is associated with the St Sabina Catholic Church in Chicago, a largely black congregation. (Pfleger is white.) In his sermon, Pfleger copies the oratorical style of his friend, Jeremiah Wright, alternating between using a soft, low voice then rising to a screaming crescendo. (It has to be the most ridiculous performance since Pat Boone sang “Tutti Frutti”.)

Pfleger is known as a renegade priest. He has been involved in various social movements in Chicago including work with drug users and prostitutes. However, he is not afraid to venture into political matters, making controversial statements and drawing the ire of his Bishop in the process.

In May of 2007, Pfleger appeared at a Rainbow Push protest outside Chuck’s Gun Shop, which had been identified as the source of many guns used in Chicago gang shootings. During his talk, Pfleger said (referring to the shop owner), “We’re going to find you and snuff you out like a rat. Like a rat, you can hide. But like a rat, we’re going to catch you and pull you out.”

These are the words of a Roman Catholic priest. A Roman Catholic priest who is an associate of Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farrakhan and Barack Obama. Until two weeks ago, Pfleger appeared on Obama’s website as a “spiritual endorser”. It is also being reported today that Obama obtained a $100,000 earmark for Pfleger’s church.
In this week’s sermon, Pfleger spoke on the on-going election. Shouting to the rafters, he scolded white people who don’t hold themselves responsible for slavery.

“I must now address the one who says, ‘don’t hold me responsible for what my ancestors did. But you have enjoyed the benefits of what your ancestors did! Unless you are ready to give up the benefits -throw away your 401 fund. Throw away your trust fund! Throw away all the money that been put away in the company you walked into ’cause your daddy and your granddaddy and your great grandaddy… Unless you are willing to give up the benefits, then you must be responsible for what was done in your generation! ‘Cause you are the beneficiary of this insurance policy!”

Then Father Pfleger continues his “sermon” about Hillary Clinton:

“When Hillary was crying and people said that was put on, I really don’t believe it was put on. I really believe that she just always thought, ‘this is mine. I’m Bill’s wife. I’m white, and this is mine. I just gotta get up and step into the plate’

“Then out of nowhere, I’m Barack Obama!”

“Ah, damn! Where did you come from? I’m white! I’m entitled! There’s a black man stealing my show!”, as he pulls out a hanky and mocks Clinton’s crying.

“She wasn’t the only one crying. There was a whole lot of white people crying!”

All this as the congregation went wild.

Today, Obama expressed his disagreement and disappointment with Pfleger’s remarks. (sound familiar?) In addition, Pfleger has now apologized for his comments about Hillary Clinton. Also, he took pains to point out that his comments were not in accordance with the views of Obama.

The problem is this is hardly the first time Pfleger has made outrageous comments unworthy of a religious figure. Of course, the Bishop in Chicago (Cardinal George) is also deserving of criticism because he is obviously afraid to get rid of this guy.

So now add the name Michael Pfleger to the Obama “honor roll” of questionable associates (Wright, Ayers, Rezko et al).

gary fouse
fousesquawk

gary fouse on May 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM

All the good father is missing is that little funny mustache and that crooked cross to make the uniform complete.

Kini on May 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Fr. Michael Pfleger does not speak like, nor does he act like a Catholic Priest. Somewhere in his career, he missed the part about grace.

byteshredder on May 31, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Mojack420 on May 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I like this comment.

bridgetown on May 31, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Stick to the script, and pass the plate that’s religion for Obama.

MSGTAS on May 31, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Carville stated the official DNC response to any rebuff of pastor: if the candidate didn’t say it, it doesn’t matter.

Too bad for Obama who can’t keep his own mouth shut. He said it matters. He praised the congregation; he praised the old and the new pastors. He said his piece, so it matters.

The only folks who say that a 20+year member of a congregation who upholds the official stance of the congregation is not responsible for being an active member of said congregation being led by a fanatically hateful mad man are folks who either are members of said congregation themselves, or folks who don’t believe in anything anyways. Once upon a time, not so long ago, we heard a lot of flack from WWII Germans who’d been Nazis, that they were not responsible for anything the Nazi Party did or believed or practiced, that they were not responsible for giving Hitler power, and in fact, they weren’t actually Nazis anyway, not really Nazis. THEIR intentions were good. They showed American leftists how to get out from the noose. “Not I” said the pig; “Not I” said the cow; “Not I” said the dog.

maverick muse on May 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I’m getting tired of the gospel being subordinated to “entertaining” delivery, regardless of the politics being tossed about.

aikidoka on May 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Pfleger says White Racist America is still raping people of color. You believe that? The HATE WHITEY GANG is alive and kickin’.

DfDeportation on May 31, 2008 at 10:07 PM

OK Obama-mama has adios-ed his two pastors, and supposedly quit the Trinity United Christian Church. Now with twenty years of Black Liberation Theology seared into the left/right side of (forgive me, I never quite got that one straight) his brain, I wonder where he’ll continue practicing his hate whitey faith?

byteshredder on June 1, 2008 at 6:56 PM