McCain to Obama: You’ll meet with Iran but not Petraeus?

posted at 6:30 pm on May 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Here’s the latest from the RNC. Like I said, St. Barack’s not going to let this storyline follow him around all year. He’ll meet with Petraeus or one of his associates eventually, after biding his time for another month or two in case conditions start to deteriorate again so that the inevitable meeting can be held under more “favorable” circumstances. How about a compromise, though? Instead of meeting with Petraeus, have him sit down with McMaster for a taste of this:

The first misperception I think is that violence in Iraq occurs primarily because we’re there. And I think that this really, you know, is kind of a hubristic interpretation of events there on our part. I mean, things happen in Iraq because we’re fighting determined enemies who were pursuing objectives and strategies that are inimical to our interests. Those who were fighting us and Iraqi security forces and murdering innocent civilians there view the achievement of an outcome in Iraq consistent with our interests as inimical to their interests. And who is this enemy and why are they doing what they’re doing I think is an important thing for the American people to understand and for us maybe to talk about more…

There has been some real bottom up movement toward the political accommodation I mentioned just a moment ago. And what we are seeing now I think is some top down movement toward political accommodation as well and we could talk specifically about how some of the political dynamics over the last couple of months have created a condition from maybe movement toward political accommodation at the national level. But what has happened and I think we can see this now in retrospect is that political accommodation at the local level has placed some social pressure on the Iraqi government to move in the same direction or key actors within the Iraqi government who represent portions of the communities who were fighting each other.

The effect on Iraqi society, the third thing that has changed I think, is a rekindling of hope.

I like at the end how he mentions continuing this discussion with Obama “and Senator Clinton as well.” Just in case!

Comments

Too bad McCain can’t hit Bambi like this on global warming, or drilling, or amnesty.

MCCAIN ’08: JUST SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN A NAIVE COMMIE-SOCIALIST EMPTY SUIT.

misterpeasea on May 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

ooo he said “radical islamic extremism”

RushBaby on May 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Ouch…

Right on McCain! This is the kind of balls I want to see from my leader. Tell it like it is John; while you’re at it, stick your middle finger right in the face of the media scum. Bravo!

Keemo on May 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Keep hammering, Mr. McCain. Keep hammering.

Mommynator on May 28, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Excellent job by Senator McCain.

RushBaby on May 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM

You know what, I dont agree with everything he says or does. but then again i dont agree with everything anyone says or does. But the more I see him speak, the more I hear the passion in his voice…The more I like him. he is being a true leader right here. He is arguing with facts and not feelings and he is right on the money. Keep it going McCain and I may just put your bumper sticker on my car :)

SoCalInfidel on May 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM

If Hot Air would put up a PayPal button so we could all chip in and buy McCain some balls, I’d kick in the first twenty bucks.

saint kansas on May 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM

McCain just shrinks Obama with this kind of talk.

It doesn’t really matter if Obama is going to let it follow him around, the point is that he hasn’t been there. What is afraid of, having a Michael Dukkasis in that helmet moment when standing next to our military.

sheryl on May 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Maybe he should strap a set of THESE on the “Straight-Talk Express.”

nosliwelyk on May 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Still planning to write in Hillary, AP?

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Good. He needs to press this and every other issue in a similar manner. Tough and in Barry’s face. Every day. I want to hear Barry squaling, squirming, calling foul. That is the only way he will win this one.

JonRoss on May 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM

I know the Ahmadinejad vs. Petraeus stuff is the red meat here, but what McCain said, in passing, anout Obama’s subcommittee assignment and failure to hold a single hearing about Afghanistan may be even worse. I don’t know too much about these things, but if Obama is in a position to lead on that war, and has failed to do so, it completely undermines any of his rhetoric about what needs to be done there and in Iraq.

Big S on May 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM

If only I could think that McCain will keep this up.
Still don’t trust him. Let’s hope. Because this is where he really SHINES!

Conservaboomer on May 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Next week the Congress begins debating the Lieberman-Warner Climate Change Fiasco Act. You might write in someone after hearing the details.

As far back as 2003, when The Lieberman-McCain Climate Stewardship Act was brought to a vote in the Senate, the Republican nominee for President had bought into the global warming hysteria.

Granted, his defense bona fides trump his climate change insanities, but the message next week won’t seem so sweet to Conservatives as this one does.

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Big S on May 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I agree strongly. Shows Obama to be delinquent.

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Did any of you see it on the evening news?

tomas on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

hubristic interpretation

Indeed. Osamabama/Dhimicrats = hubris.

Real hope–with substance. With thanks to GWB and the American people and to our fine young (and not so young) men and women who voluntarily put themselves in harms way to bring freedom and real hope to an oppressed people.

davidk on May 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Took a quick look at your link, and you’re right; I don’t like it. But is the alternative candidate any better?

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

If Obama even hints that he may be interested in meeting our military leaders, his base will mutiny. The party of appeasement does not understand the necessity of strength. Turning the future of the free world over to a rookie like Obama would be the end of the world as we know it.

volsense on May 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

But is the alternative candidate any better?

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

tomas, I saw it live on Fox, with all the cameras there, in spite of Michelle Obama claiming that McCain’s townhall meetings are closed to the press. In fact they are all open to the media, heckling et all.

Entelechy on May 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

I agree strongly. Shows Obama to be delinquent.

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

If it’s true, not only has he been delinquent, but shows two of his worst attributes: talk without action, as well as the tendency to evade responsibility and pin the blame for his and our difficulties on others.

Big S on May 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

volsense on May 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Good point. His base is going to get real nervous if he shows any respect to our military. He is going to find it difficult to tack back to any where near the center.

JonRoss on May 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Gotta play the cards we’re dealt,..at least for now. A big part of the conservative influence equation depends on which faction gains control of the donks. If the Soros faction wins they will continue left which forces us to the center to compete. If they lose in November big, they may move back towards the center, and allow the GOP to slide right a bit. Much of this is out of our hands right now, other than the Nov election which could send a serious message to the donk movers and shakers regarding ultra liberal orthodoxy as a winning strategy. Meantime we need to clean house in Congress.

a capella on May 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Whoa there Johhny Mac, you’re sounding presidential! I think I may even have detected a little fire in the belly!

Obama has the audacity to not even hold meetings on Afghanistan when he’s the chair?!? That’s bold, really bold.

NTWR on May 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM

B-b-b-b-but, McCain is such a poopy-head, ’cause he feels sorry for mexicans, I’m stayin’ home on election day.

BWAHAHHAHAHA !!!

sure I am

franksalterego on May 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

If you really stop to think about it, whatever McCain might choose to do in the area of climate change can be reversed later by a more sensible conservative leader.

Likewise, the pols get hammered every time they try to sneak amnesty through, so while we might have to spend four/eight years being vigilant on that score, we can protect our sovereignty.

Surrender and appeasement cannot be reversed. Neither can the effects of an Iranian nuke being set off.

Much as I wish it was different, I think we have a single choice, and that’s McCain.

MrScribbler on May 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM

JD, do you think McCain will wake up to the whole “climate change” quicker or slower than Obama? Which would be more likely to let states and business executives confer with him or his advisors on which environmental causes can be supported without destroying states or industries?

I know, it ain’t much, but it’s a start.

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM

McCain to Obama: You’ll meet with Iran but not Petraeus?

I think that Obama should meet with Petraeus and with McMaster too, and with Diana West and with Robert Spencer and with Hugh Fitzgerald, as should McCain, but I’m not sure how far old coot Juan’s almost school yard taunt will get him with swing voters.

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM

This is one of the 37% of the time I like McCain.

SouthernGent on May 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Oh, and the AFL-CIO says McCain is a “right wing extremist.” Yeah, I laughed, but they aren’t amused. For those who say they can’t tell the difference between McCain and Obama on domestic issues, it’s well worth taking advantage of all the hard work the AFL-CIO has devoted to outlining McCain’s “right wing” extremism.

One “horrifying” factoid:

McCAIN VOTES WITH BUSH
McCain Voted with the Bush Administration 89 Percent of the Time. Since President Bush took office, McCain has supported Bush’s positions 89 percent of the time. McCain’s support of Bush’s policies reached as high as 95 percent in 2007. [Congressional Quarterly Voting Study, 110th Congress]

OMG!

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 7:47 PM

It’s over, hit the music.

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Hey, MB4, this event sounds right up your alley. You can have drinks with Jane Hamsher (of Ned Lamont fame) too!

Cliff Schecter, blogger, author and activist, has closely followed the career of John McCain–and finds it bears little resemblance to the media’s image of the senator from Arizona. Schecter has just published a tough, well-researched profile of the likely Republican presidential nominee in his new book, The Real McCain: Why Conservatives Don’t Trust Him and Why Independents Shouldn’t.

Schecter will join us this Friday, May 30, in the Gompers Room here at the AFL-CIO, to discuss issues like McCain’s support of more tax cuts for the wealthy, his relentless backing of the Iraq war, his flip-flopping from opposing torture to voting to allow water boarding and more. We’ll have copies of The Real McCain available and we plan to post video clips and a podcast from the event in case you’re out of town or can’t make it. Schecter will be joined by blogger Jane Hamsher of Firedoglake, and a complimentary beer and wine event follows.

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

JonRoss on May 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM

I suspect you’ll see a lot more of this the closer we get to November. McCain is being very shrewd in the way he’s playing the media right now. He will continue to let Obama’s pot simmer until we reach the point where there isn’t time for him to recover, and then he’ll really turn up the heat and watch Bambi boil. Remember, most of America’s electorate have very short memories and it’s best to send them to the polls with the image of Obama melting down in the presence of a real leader. Until then, here’s hoping he keeps the burner hot and continues to season the pot with these occasional punches.

steadyrock on May 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

checter, whose political blog appears on Firedoglake at http://cliffschecter.firedoglake.com/, is a journalist and a senior fellow at Working America, and frequent guest on cable news programs, where he takes apart Bush McClone commentators.

Whoops, forgot to put in the last paragraph. Firedoglake wants to convince GOP folks to sit home and let Obama waltz into the White House. I’m not interested in helping them out…..

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM

MCCAIN ‘08: JUST SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN A NAIVE COMMIE-SOCIALIST EMPTY SUIT.

misterpeasea on May 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

When you want only three scoops of $hit, instead of four scoops, in your milkshake go to Juan’s Muy Bueno Restaurante. Just be sure to still have a stomach pump at the ready.

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Every day we get closer to the McCain landslide victory, we also get near the point where MB4 moves out of his mother’s house.

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

I’ll have to wait until the night duty guard falls asleep and then see if I can find an unlocked door.

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Real McCain: Why Conservatives Don’t Trust Him and Why Independents Shouldn’t.

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

One day, a man named John McCain looked around at the senate where he was a long time senator and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through caucuses and primaries. He climbed over some candidates and went around others until he reached the Republican nomination.

The coming Presidential race would be a tough one, and so John McCain stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn’t see any way to win on his own. So he thought that he would probably lose.Suddenly, he saw some naive conservatives blogging at a conservative web site. He decided to ask them for help in winning the election. “Would you be so kind, my friends, as to give me a hand in winning the election?”

“Well now, Senator McCain! How do we know that if we help you, you wont betray us?” asked the conservatives hesitantly.

“Because,” senator McCain replied, “If I betray you, then I would fail too, for you see I cannot govern without your support!”

Now this seemed to make some sense to the conservatives. But they asked. “What about when you get close to being elected? You could still start to betray us and might still win anyway!”

“This is true,” agreed senator McCain, “But I might well not be able to get enough conservative turnout to win the presidency!”

“Alright then…how do we know you wont just wait till you get elected and then betray us?” said the conservatives.

“Ahh…,” crooned senator McCain, “Because you see, once you’ve helped to make me president, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with betrayal, now would it?”

So the conservatives agreed to take help senator McCain get elected president. He edged out Barak Obama in a nail-bitting race and was inaugurated in January of the year 2009. Now president McCain immediately got a democratic majority in congress to enact full amnesty for all illegals in the United States and all of their relatives. He also nominated Hillary Clinton to the U.S. Supreme court along with Senator Teddy Kennedy’s wife. Both were confirmed.

“You fool!” croaked the conservatives, “You have betrayed us and you will never get a second term. Why on earth did you do that?”

Now president McCain shrugged and snickered and did a little jig..

“I could not help myself. It is my nature.”

- HT to INC for the idea

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Obama AWOL

Chakra Hammer on May 28, 2008 at 8:09 PM

MCCAIN ‘08: JUST SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN A NAIVE COMMIE-SOCIALIST EMPTY SUIT.

misterpeasea on May 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

“What’s this?” thought John McCain. “I can feel nothing warmer at all! That is terrible. Am I stupid? Am I a flat-earther? Am I a denier? Am I not fit to be President? That would be the most dreadful thing that could happen to me. “Oh, it is very hot!” McCain said aloud. “It has my highest approbation [that means great praise].” And McCain nodded in a contented way, and gazed outside, for he would not say that he felt no Global Warming. The whole suite whom he had with him looked and looked, and felt no warming, any more than the rest; but, like John McCain, they said, “It is so warm!” and counseled him to always say that he felt warm when he was out in public. “It is warm, hot even!” went from mouth to mouth. On all sides there seemed to be general warming, and John McCain gave Al Gore the title of Imperial Master of Global Warming Science.

So John McCain went in procession, and every one in the streets said, “How incomparable warm it is! what a warm day it is!” No one would let it be perceived that he could feel warming, for that would have shown that he was not fit for his office, or was very stupid or a flat-earther or a denier. No day of John McCain’s had ever been as warm as this one.

“But it’s freezing cold out here!” a little child cried out at last. “Just hear what that innocent says!” said the father: and one whispered to another what the child had said. “But it is cold out here!” said the whole people at length. That touched John McCain, for it seemed to him that they were right; but the thought within himself, “I must go through with feeling all the Global Warming.” And so he held himself a little higher, and his aides held on tighter than ever, and proclaimed the Global Warming which did not exist at all.

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Firedoglake and MB4 tell us that conservatives can’t/shouldn’t trust John McCain.

I think I’ll make my own judgements, thanks.

Hey, maybe MB4 is friends with Cliff Schecter (or however it’s spelled)

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Hey, maybe MB4 is friends with Cliff Schecter (or however it’s spelled)

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Probably not as I am not even familiar with the name.

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM

MCCAIN ‘08: JUST SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN A NAIVE COMMIE-SOCIALIST EMPTY SUIT.

misterpeasea on May 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Where can I buy this bumper sticker?

landlines on May 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM

He gets security issues. McCain is even willing to say that they are Islamic terrorists. Good hits against Obambi.

Mojave Mark on May 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM

IF McCain was “smart”, and he’s not displayed that ability at all so far, he’d refine this message a little.

Because right now, Obama, being the Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi Leftist weasel who completely OWNS the Leftist Mainstream Media as they relentlessly push to get him elected, that he is, is going to let McCain push him on this a bit, and eventually, he’ll change his position, say it was all a “misunderstanding”, that this is a “distraction”, and he’ll meet with Petraeus, either in Iraq, or in DC for a stage-managed meeting, then the MSM will come out and say “See, he met with Petraeus, and we’re STILL losing..”, and the MSM will be licking his butt and spinning for him as usual..

But, IF McCain was SMART, he’d keep up this line of attack, but refine the message to say this: “Why will Senator Obama agree to meet with all these Dictators who hate America, around the world, but not the Commander of our own Military……and if Senator Obama follows his previous pattern, once he sees that this issue is starting to impact him politically, he’ll change his position and try to set up a meeting with General Petaeus, no doubt..”

His campaign and the RNC NEED to get that last part out there as part of the narrative; because right now, the message will give Obama the incentive to change and meet with Petraeus, and the MSM will then hail him as the new Messiah for doing so.

But if McCain adds the last part, then he’s really stuck; McCain and the RNC will be able to hammer him on it, and they’ll also embarrass him to the extend that he CAN’T set up a future meeting with Petraeus…

Now that, would be smart!

Dale in Atlanta on May 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Well, Geez, MB, you sure emptied the room :)

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Well, Geez, MB, you sure emptied the room :)

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Aw, never mind. I didn’t refresh. Looked like nobody had commented in the interim.

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Barry, you have been worked. There is a back-bench in the Senate waiting for you to return.

Mallard T. Drake on May 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM

F**k it, I’m voting McCain.

Hannibal Smith on May 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Much better attack method than bringing up his Obama’s middle name on a constant basis.

Hog Wild on May 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM

F**k it, I’m voting McCain.

Hannibal Smith on May 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM

This military spouse thanks you.

funky chicken on May 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM

You know when you play chess and you see a great attack 7-10 moves out, not checkmate mind you but you see it coming. You’ve got the bishop, rook, and maybe just maybe the queen and all you’ve given up is a knight and a few pawns. How does Barack look being lead around by the nose by McCain? Walking the streets of Baghdad next to John McCain, war hero. Then Petraeus lays the bomb on him, yeah it’s alot better little guy…

Theworldisnotenough on May 28, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Best 7 minutes of McCain yet.

T J Green on May 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Hannibal Smith on May 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Now, if he’ll only pick F. D. Thompson for VP.

VolMagic on May 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM

McCain hit a home run with this one.

Please, Senator, keep it going.

We need more of this.

Hawkins1701 on May 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM

I moved out of my mother’s house a few years ago. When do you plan on making that big move?

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Well, Geez, MB, you sure emptied the room :)

mikeyboss on May 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM

I must be losing it then as usually I seem to attract a few of the grade school crowd anyway.

MB4 on May 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM

McCain rants about US security and Obama’s weaknesses, and at the same time McCain will leave the border wide open for anyone, including terrorists, to cross over anytime they want. Kind of ironic how McCain holds hands with Obama on the open borders thing, huh?

How foolish is McCain going to look when a terrorist just walks right across the US border and does something horrible? As if the gangs, crime, and the load on the courts/prisons aren’t bad enough already.

But he’s good on that war, baby….yes sir!

nottakingsides on May 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Peshaw!…yeah! Where have you been over the last year? Petraeus has proven himself to be a crafty and dangerous guy! There are hundreds of dead terrorists that would agree. The guy is an animal!

moxie_neanderthal on May 29, 2008 at 1:37 AM

With all the money we spend on educating generals, you’d think they could speak in clear sentences: The bad guys know that a safe and prosperous Iraq will show them for what they are: frauds, gangsters, and scum.

njcommuter on May 29, 2008 at 4:07 AM

BWAHAHHAHAHA !!!

sure I am

franksalterego on May 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

ROFLMAO!

CAN-NOT-WAIT to see them debate. mccain is gonna rip him a new one.

homesickamerican on May 29, 2008 at 6:01 AM

BWAHAHHAHAHA !!!

sure I am

franksalterego on May 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

How many Mexican illegals has he introduced to his daughter?

How many Mexican illegals does he invite to parties?

How many Mexican illegals does he golf with?

How many Mexican illegals did he invite in on his Keating Five “dealings”?

MB4 on May 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Very good.

LtE126 on May 29, 2008 at 7:15 AM

“It’s about leadership.” “My friends.”

Well my friend, I hope you remember that on other important issues such as global non warming & immigration.

VikingGoneWild on May 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM

McCain is speaking about 2 miles away from me right now, in Bucks County, PA. I hope he hammers Obama again on this, as well as his little crapweasel protege, Patrick Murphy. Murphy co-sponsored Obama’s first surrender bill in 2007 which didn’t even get to the floor of the House or Senate.

rockmom on May 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM