The Young Gaffer sees dead people

posted at 8:00 am on May 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Observances of Memorial Day often lack recognition of the fact that the day honors those who died in service to the nation. When one hears, “Happy Memorial Day!”, it becomes clear that the meaning of the holiday has escaped people. That becomes particularly frustrating when politicians forget the reason, as apparently Barack Obama did yesterday in New Mexico, and his campaign did later. Power Line highlighted the gaffe:

On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes — and I see many of them in the audience here today — our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.

Does Obama see dead people? Coming from Chicago, one might be tempted to joke that they would form a natural portion of his constituency, but obviously Obama confused this with Veterans Day, which honors our living veterans of war. Unfortunately, most of the nation makes the same mistake, and small wonder when its leadership can’t distinguish between the two.

Since this is an election season, Obama decided to use his time to do a lot of self-promotion and criticize the Bush administration as his way of honoring the war dead. In politicizing the holiday, Obama portrayed veterans as victims of the current administration, and used the platform to promise all kinds of new spending, helpfully reminding his audience that we spend $10 billion a month in Iraq. Obama told the audience that he wants to rely on solar power for energy independence, exclaiming “Solar! There’s a lot of sun around here. I think we can use use it,” even though decades of research has yet to deliver on wide-scale solar power.

When responding to criticism from John McCain, the Obama campaign became shocked, shocked! that politics got mentioned — and again revealed their ignorance, as Tom Maguire noticed:

For most Americans, Memorial Day is a day to honor our nation’s war dead. However, the Obama team has re-imagined the holiday, as made clear in this comment responding to an attack from John McCain:

Obama’s camp declined to hit back, with spokesman Bill Burton saying “Memorial Day is a day to honor our nation’s veterans, not a day for political posturing.”

It hardly seems fair to ask them the purpose of Veterans Day.

One more time: Memorial Day honors our war dead. Perhaps Obama and his entire team simply forgot that after tiring themselves with all of their political posturing in New Mexico.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…Or, laying floor tiles

franksalterego on May 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Let it go, and move on…you are looking foolish.

right2bright on May 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

And, we haven’t YET answered the original question.

franksalterego on May 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM

That is how the liberals “support the troops.” Since victims are needed for liberals to justify their existence, they turn the troops into victims of Bushco in order to claim that they support our soldiers.

Mallard T. Drake on May 27, 2008 at 11:54 AM

So, what happened here is actually completely contrary to just reading what was put in front of him.

12thman on May 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

In that case, it demonstrates that Obama truly doesn’t understand the meaning of Memorial Day and as someone who wants to the President and Commander in Chief, that’s unacceptable. AND it only goes to demonstrate that Obama is indeed a sock puppet.

If when speaking he looked up and saw military in the audience the appropriate thing to do would have been to say something like “I see many of their brothers here today” BUT he didn’t because he doesn’t understand .. if he did it would have been a natural comment.

Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Y’know 12thman, I think the reason you are making excuses for Obama not knowing the true meaning of the day, (which of course he should if he wants to be CiC) is because YOU didn’t understand the true meaning of the day either.

Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Senator Barack Obama releases 2008 Christmas Message early…

“At this December time of the year, when we celebrate the death of Christ on the cross, who died to save us all, I think of the children opening their Christmas presents of Easter eggs and cute Bunnies.. blah, blah, blah… ignorant waffle… hope… waffle… change… waffle…”

Is that Barack a Gaffe Guzzler or what?

Jack Bauer on May 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

The real point is Obama doesn’t know the meaning of the phrase “fallen heroes” which is military-speak for those who died in service, not those injured such that they’ve “fallen and can’t get up”. I wonder if Obama saw some vets in wheelchairs, and not being very familiar with the phrase “fallen heroes”, misapplied it to them. It just shows how far away he is from all things military.

Paul-Cincy on May 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM

El Rushmo just raised a very good point. He suggested Obama simply does not know who we honor on Memorial Day. Bo does not understand the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day ….. why would he?

David in ATL on May 27, 2008 at 12:35 PM

My wife just heard BO’s gaffe and said “Obama sees dead people”.

David in ATL on May 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Gaffe Guzzler

Jack Bauer on May 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Gaffe Guzzler!

I love it.

RushBaby on May 27, 2008 at 1:10 PM

RushBaby — glad it amused you — thanks for the shout out!

Damn — shoulda copyrighted it!

Jack Bauer on May 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I love this screen cap because it always reminds me of the phrase “big hat no cattle.” A perfect 4 word summary of Barack Hussein Obama.

NTWR on May 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Well Texas gal, thanks to my now deceased father who was a veteran of two wars with 26 years of military service and my own personal experience working in the intelligence community, I have a pretty full understanding of Memorial Day. But thank you very much for the personal insult.

Also, I would love to see you point to where I am “making excuses for Obama not knowing the true meaning of [Memorial Day],” since I have never done such a thing. My whole claim is that he does know the meaning and that he simply worded what he was trying to say in a confusing manner.

12thman on May 27, 2008 at 1:54 PM

LOL.. yep me too, NTWR. He’s a poseur … a drugstore cowboy type.

As much as Obama has used the term cowboy diplomacy against W, I’m surprised he let himself be photographed in that hat.

Now, if we could just get Obama in a pair of boots …

“You can put your boots in the oven, but that don’t make ‘em biscuits”

And every time I see him pandering to his worshipers, I think … “He’s got tongue enough for 10 rows of teeth.”

Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM

12thman on May 27, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Was that an insult 12thman? My apologies, it wasn’t intended to be. Many people do not understand the true meaning of Memorial Day nor do they know the history behind it. Many people extend the meaning of the day intended to honor those who had made the ultimate sacrifice for our country by giving their lives on the battlefield to include honoring loved ones who had served in the military and since died of other causes. Which incidentally, I read where you made that same comment about your father on another thread after I had made my observation. I don’t see anything wrong with that. There are no rules to be followed; it’s a personal day of reflection and honor.

Except for the one who desires to be Commander in Chief!

The fact that Obama looked out into the audience and upon seeing military representation would have correctly addressed them as the brothers or comrades or some such if he understood the meaning of the day. But he didn’t and that indicates that he doesn’t understand the meaning of Memorial Day.

You offer the justification that Obama simply made a mistake in his wording. But my point is that Obama when giving a Memorial Day address should know the meaning of Memorial Day. I can assure you that those who serve in the military hold the day as a day of remembrance of their comrades who have fallen on the battlefield. As smart as Obama has run his campaign, it is moments like these that allow the prudent observer to see the real person behind the curtain. Obama wants to be Commander in Chief of our military. He is obviously not suited for that job.

Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM

“Oil! There`s alot of oil under here. I think we can us it,” said ThePrez

ThePrez on May 27, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I think we can uswe it,” said ThePrez

ThePrez on May 27, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Ah, F*&K! USE IT!

ThePrez on May 27, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Texas Gal – of course he is a sock puppet. But who is the real power behind him? And what is the true objective of that power? That’s what we have to find out before it is too late.

rockmom on May 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM

But my point is that Obama when giving a Memorial Day address should know the meaning of Memorial Day. Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hussein’s Columbus Day address:

“So today, as we celebrate the great city of Columbus, OH…”

Akzed on May 27, 2008 at 4:37 PM

So … where were the survivers buried?

Is it Obama or his speechwriters who string together potent phrases without regard for meaning and expect sheeple to sit in quiet awe of the golden phrases? Perhaps they don’t think that soldiers and people who support them are attentive or smart. Perhaps they don’t know that if you’re a Captain in the US Army you have a master’s degree, or you’re working on one, and if you’re a general you either have a PhD or you’re one step away.

H. Norman Schwarzkopf’ PhD is in Rocketry. Stormin’ Norman is literally a doctor of Rocket Science.

What is Obama’s PhD in?

njcommuter on May 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Texas Gal on May 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Excellent observation, TG. I wonder how many here know that Memorial Day was once called Decoration Day, set aside to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers. That custom is still observed today, of course, though by diminishing numbers of people, most of whom think of Memorial Day as just another three-day weekend, and the first opportunity after winter to get out the barbecue grill.

Jack Bauer: “Gaffe Guzzler”—right on!

Akzed: “the great city of Columbus, OH”—LOL!

If anyone can bear to watch network news tonight, let us know if they even mention this embarrassing faux pas.

MrLynn on May 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM

MrLynn on May 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM

That would require knowing it was a faux pas, something I doubt our bright media lights do. They are, after all, cut from the same general cloth as Obama.

DrMagnolias on May 27, 2008 at 6:36 PM

What is Obama’s PhD in?

njcommuter on May 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Are you kidding?

Obama has a Juris Doctorate.

I’m not even sure what your point is but, being from NJ, you can ask anyone from Rutgers about what doctorate those who graduate from law school have.

12thman on May 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM

I see it as the sign of the coming Zombie Apocalypse.

Obama sees the dead walking around.

Remember folks, aim for the head.

Kristopher on May 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM