Geraldo: Latinos who vote for an anti-amnesty candidate are “Uncle Toms”

posted at 8:23 pm on May 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Noteworthy, not because this is the first time he’s said something this vile but because it’s not. He floated it to our favorite liberal in February during an interview on Fox News radio (and, sad to say, wasn’t called on it) and thought so highly of his bon mot that he recycled it for his new book. Either no one’s taken him aside to explain how disgusting it is or someone has taken him aside but he thinks it’s so important and righteous that he’s going to keep deploying it anyway. I don’t know which is worse. Bear in mind, though, that even demagogues on the order of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton tend to shy away from rhetoric in this vein when applied to simple voting preferences. He’s actually out-race-baiting professional race-baiters.

I have previously written in His Panic, Why Americans Fear Hispanics in the U.S. that, “any Latino who votes for a Republican or a Democrat who opposes rational immigration reform is an Uncle Tom.” In view of the pending Puerto Rico Democratic primary and the island commonwealth’s rare opportunity to explain itself and amplify the growing importance in the larger nation’s future of the Latino vote; it is time to say to all three candidates that our votes will go to the presidential aspirant who has the courage to defy the mob and call for an immediate cessation of ICE’s draconian workplace campaign. Leaving a trail of broken hearts and disrupted communities is not the way to fix America’s broken immigration system.

Note the casual reference to “our” votes; I’ve said my piece before about his crude, one-dimensional approach to this issue but it’s nice to know, a year later, that nothing’s changed. Read the whole post, too, as his alternative to raids on illegal immigrant workplaces is handing out summonses giving the recipient a time and place to appear for a deportation hearing. Michelle addressed that subject in an interview once upon a time with Neil Cavuto, but if you can’t be bothered with the clip, read Heather MacDonald’s essay on criminal illegal aliens (which might help Geraldo understand why ICE is armed) and look for the paragraph on “run letters.” Quote: “[I]n 2001, 87 percent of deportable aliens who received run letters disappeared, a number that was even higher—94 percent—if they were from terror-sponsoring countries.” Exit question: In which chapter of that Media Matters report on fear and loathing in immigration rhetoric, do you suppose, will we find Geraldo’s “Uncle Tom” comment featured?

Comments

And whoever cares what this douchebag says is an Uncle Dope.

Akzed on May 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Plantation Lettuce field politics.

Tony737 on May 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Well I guess nobody will be an Uncle Tom come this Presidential election….

malan89 on May 27, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Pinche Judio…

TexasJew on May 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Che in penny loafers.

Limerick on May 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I guess they cannot vote for Geraldo because his immigration reform proposals are irrational.

KW64 on May 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Geraldo is a grubby, dirty, low class, lazy… “journalist” whose very existence is an insult to latinos.

Cranberries picked by day laborers are farther out of the muk than you, Gerald.

BKennedy on May 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM

So Geraldo supports illegals being denied workmans compensation, good wages and quality living conditon and oppurtunity for advancement?

Compassion!

ThePrez on May 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Geraldo is an offensive moron. Besides, looking at the immigration platforms of all of the presidential candidates this year it seems I’m in no danger of being labeled a “uncle tom”.

elduende on May 27, 2008 at 8:33 PM

What a freaking idiot.

OneGyT on May 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Why does Fox News keep such a buffoon on the payroll?

Cicero43 on May 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Well that’s the last time I pay attention to Geraldo…oh wait, I stopped doing that years ago.

WisCon on May 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Wedge. The simplest tool known to man

Dingbat63 on May 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Geraldo is a racist assclown. It is past time that some one publically slapped him down. I would recommend Michelle, but I doubt Geraldo would have the stones to take her on.

tomk59 on May 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Who is opposed to rational immigration reform? Not me! Secure the border, enforce the law.

Spirit of 1776 on May 27, 2008 at 8:39 PM

In the 1970s Geraldo did work for WABC-tv exposing shameful treatment of mentally ill patients at a NY hospital (forget the name).

That was the last good thing he did.

rbj on May 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Geraldo: Latinos who vote for an anti-amnesty candidate are “Uncle Toms”

Adolf: German Americans who fight for an anti-German military are “Onkel Fritzes”

Same show, just under a different tent.

MB4 on May 27, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Cicero43 at 8:36 PM;
I once e-mailed Fox News that very question (in regards to his remark about how he’d spit in Michelle’s face). Never got an answer.
“fair,balanced,and unafraid”- my ass.

tomk59 on May 27, 2008 at 8:42 PM

The GOP’s inaction on illegal immigration will be the death of their party. We have already seen the beginning of the end of the USA as we know it. Get ready for The Geraldo Factor:I Spit On You Zone.

nivram1 on May 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Well, shoot. Guess I won’t be getting that “Authentic Latino” card from Geraldo.

Bummer.

Slublog on May 27, 2008 at 8:44 PM

I’ve sent numerous emails to Fox challenging them on Spermoldo’s continued employment, the silenece has been deafening! Tools, pukes……watching O’Reilly slam McCain and Hillary with his concubine body language expert….not a mention of Obamas gaffs! Fox et.all is on their (all to willing) knees before the Messiah!!!! “the poodle bites, come on Frenchie, the poodle chews it”

dmann on May 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

I wish you’d use the photo of Geraldo with his nose broken or the one where he’s drawing a map in the sand.

Connie on May 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Just another race pimp. Should New York allow gay marriage, Jerry and Rev. Al could be the first to walk down the aisle.

MCPO Airdale on May 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM

“[F]ruit trees are being cut down and fields lie fallow…”

We have 20+ million illegals in the US, if each just picked a couple dozen tomatoes and heads of lettuce we’d by all set.

Their problem is that even the illegals have moved on to construction, factories and meat packing.

It’s very simple, big AG, like any other business has to raise their pay levels until they get an acceptable number of qualified employees.

RJL on May 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Tool.

You know this makes me hope Latinos break hard for McCain. Then watch how forgiving the black vote is on illegal immigration. Jesse and Al are already looking over their shoulders, they can’t ignore exit polls with a new issue to demagouge and therefore avoid criticism. If black politicians/community leaders start to come out for enforcement, watchout, that’s moral authority you can’t duplicate in America. And poltically clears the path to real enforcement.

Theworldisnotenough on May 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM

We want the candidate who’ll work the hardest at not enforcing the law! Overcompensating for being only half latino, Mr. Rivers?

Hollowpoint on May 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Geraldo? I thought he was still trying to find Al Capone’s vault.

Snake307 on May 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

And whoever cares what this douchebag says is an Uncle Dope.

It matters because he represents Fox News, which is supposed to rise above the mainstream media to a higher level of news consciousness.

bayam on May 27, 2008 at 8:58 PM

According to Geraldo’s illogic, are these people bigoted?

The Nursing Supervisor at my Illinois hospital is a 2nd generation Hispanic whose parents came here legally from Mexico. She hates illegal immigration because of its disastrous negative effects.

According to Geraldo, she must be a bigot despite earning a MBA with a Health Care concentration and receiving numerous awards for superior patient satisfaction.

Geraldo is a left wing nut.

ColtsFan on May 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Calling pochos who want our immigration laws enforced is not a solution to the Illegal Alien Crisis…

DfDeportation on May 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Actually, Bayam, I think it matters only to Fox News. After all, they don’t represent us or anyone but themselves.

tomk59 on May 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

So Whorealdo thinks all Latinos are pro-criminal?

If I were Latino I believe I would demand he stop speaking for me.

EJDolbow on May 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Geraldo is a left wing nut.

ColtsFan on May 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM

You are a far better Christian than me!

dmann on May 27, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I wasn’t aware we were enslaving the Mexicans. Why hasn’t the MSM brought this issue up?

This seems like a good place to bring my current anti-illegal strategy. I’ve started going to the bus stops early on Saturday morning and telling the illegals to go back to Mexico before America corrupts them and they are dissatisfied with everything and their seven year old daughter dresses like a whore. They’ll really be much happier back in Mexico–even if a little poorer. The Mexicans get my point.

thuja on May 27, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Hey Geraldo, (_|_)

- The Cat

MirCat on May 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Good old “Jerry Rivers” (that’s his birth name by the way, but it wasn’t “racial” enough for him, so he had his name changed to Geraldo Rivera) is a typical Leftist Nutbag.

Dale in Atlanta on May 27, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Dale in Atlanta on May 27, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Urban legend. He was born with his given name: Puerto Rican father, Jewish mother.

And now, as a fully-born-and-raised, fully-blooded boricua, I think I have every right to say to him, “¿Por qué no te callas?

newton on May 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Geraldo Rivera, circus side show. The spitter’s career is fading fast. Soon, he will be nothing more than an unpleasant memory.

Zorro on May 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM

sleazebag

D2Boston on May 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM

“the poodle bites, come on Frenchie, the poodle chews it”

dmann on May 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Wow, a Frank Zappa quote in a HA thread bashing Geraldo! I love it.

Big John on May 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Gerrrraldo’s skull is a replica of Capone’s vault.

Hening on May 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM

heh… “defy the mob”.

Good one senor’ scumbag.

Hog Wild on May 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Last week Geraldo Rivera was at JFK airport on his way to Cuba, when stripped-searched, the screener found Bill O’Reilly hiding in his drawers.

True story.

Indy Conservative on May 27, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Geraldo Rivera and the entire Fox News commentators are irrelevant to me, they are like a hooker’s orgasm.

Indy Conservative on May 27, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Hey Geraldo, (_|_)

- The Cat

MirCat on May 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM

lol!! that is so kool!! I’ve not seen that before…thanks!!

jerrytbg on May 27, 2008 at 9:49 PM

I knew him back in the days when Geraldo was just plain Harry. He was likable enough then, but now not so much.

petefrt on May 27, 2008 at 9:52 PM

But this is NOT racist.

jukin on May 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Latinos who vote for an anti-amnesty candidate are “Uncle Toms”

Well, there’s no chance of any Latinos garnering that title in this election…

…or any election, for the quote and underlying sentiment is disgusting on its face.

Aside to Roger Ailes: Time to cut Geraldo loose, long past time. I assume he’s got ratings, but are they really worth it to air that kind of drivel?

ShoreMark on May 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM

That was the last good thing he did.

rbj on May 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Willowbrook on Staten Island. It’s now been turned into a community college (insert your own joke here). The downside of that was while Geraldo and ABC were taking their victory laps, the city just dumped the mentally ill onto the streets after his expose of the conditions there, which sharply raise the homeless population in New York, as well as contributing to the city’s rising crime rate in the 1970s and 80s.

As far as his latest comment, Geraldo seems to see Hispanic votes as some uniform block, as if Puerto Rican=Cuban=Mexican and as if there’s no difference between those who are immigrants or first-generation arrivals and those whose families have been in the U.S. for 100 years or more. Typical identity politics of the left, albeit presented in a cruder way than usual.

jon1979 on May 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM

And whoever cares what this douchebag says is an Uncle Dope.

Akzed on May 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM

I love threads in which I only have to read the first comment.

That one sums it all up. Geraldo is a non-entity to any human with a brain. When he comes on, I don’t get mad. I change the channel.

He’s not even interesting.

I mean, besides the ‘stache. The mustache is pretty fascinating. Other than that, there’s just nothing there.

Professor Blather on May 27, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Let us all remember that his name used to be Jerry Rivers. Whoever said that his name was Harry is…..well, you be the judge.
Everyone gets victim status now. I swear to you that I am part Indian and we loved the earth, sky, and moon. Seriously!

thatcher on May 27, 2008 at 10:29 PM

If you have a low-rated TV show, better to be cursed than ignored, and getting cursed is something he certainly knows how to manage.

RBMN on May 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM

So, basically, Geraldo says he has the right to decide who is “authentically” Hispanic, and cast the rest out.

Kind of like Farrakhan, only less charming.

Merovign on May 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Why doesn’t he stick a sock in it?????We know he loves illegals here!!!!!!

beachkatie on May 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Geraldo should stick to what he knows best: getting divorced. Writing books on the immigration debate is a little beyond him I’m afraid.
I got the title for his next book though: Dumb Shit. It’s his autobiography naturally.

Grayson on May 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Dale in Atlanta on May 27, 2008 at 9:18 PM

thatcher on May 27, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Are you stupid or just gullible? His name is not Jerry Rivers. Why forward an idea which you have not independently confirmed?

Geraldo is a dick. The dick’s name is not Jerry. Stop insulting guys and gals named “Jerry.”

The Race Card on May 27, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Guhraldo who?

Vntnrse on May 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM

The Race Card on May 27, 2008 at 11:08 PM

thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

jerrytbg on May 27, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Anybody who gives away our military positions in Afghanistan is a traitor. Anybody named Gerald is not Latino.

/s/

José

josetheguerilla on May 27, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Geraldo: Latinos who vote for an anti-amnesty candidate are “Uncle Toms”

WAIT…. Wait…
I must have missed something…

From the headline, one would have to assume that there is actually an anti-amnesty candidate for whom I could vote.

If anyone could point me to an anti-amnesty candidate for President, I’d be eternally grateful.

LegendHasIt on May 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM

What in the hell makes this moron think I fear Latino’s???? Typical leftie fantasy land.

allrsn on May 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM

LegendHasIt on May 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I am afraid my dear chap, in 2008, an anti-amnesty candidate is a dog that didn’t bark.

Holmes on May 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM

The ‘Stachio strikes again………..

(Hey, I think that nickname just might have staying power.)

Hawkins1701 on May 28, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Hey you penche PENDEJO, Che Guevara’s dead. Get over it. Better yet, get off the Fox dole, and get a real job.

byteshredder on May 28, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Haven’t we ALL had enough of this guy???
Like it wasn’t bad enough that he said he would spit on Michelle—that alone should have had him fired from Fox.
Now this? No, Fox doesn’t look bad for hosting this guy–I’d like to see a real conservative network, Fox is not.
Fire Geraldo and deport him while you’re at it. Geesh.

Conservatives R Us on May 28, 2008 at 3:09 AM

PS- I just saw that he wrote that for the Huffington Post, what the??? And O’Reilly will have him on and buddy with him, what the heck?? Unbelievable–Fire O’Reilly too!

Conservatives R Us on May 28, 2008 at 3:12 AM

So if we get amnesty we will have another 20 million more Geraldos?

entagor on May 28, 2008 at 3:51 AM

El tio Tomas

TheSitRep on May 28, 2008 at 5:00 AM

“…but he thinks it’s HE’s so important and righteous…”

There, fixed it.

oldleprechaun on May 28, 2008 at 5:14 AM

Hey Geraldo, (_|_)

- The Cat

MirCat on May 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Is that cleavage?

gzelmiami on May 28, 2008 at 5:15 AM

F**k him and his crooked views.

I’m Latino, and my people are black, Indian, Asian, Native American, etc. In other words… AMERICANS.

I don’t separate myself out because of my ethnicity, like he wants does.

His statment only justifies my view AND vote against illegal aliens.

madmonkphotog on May 28, 2008 at 5:32 AM

I waited three years to get my Venezuelan wife into this country legally and I’m against granting illegals amnesty mainly due to experience. Why should someone who crossed a river get special treatment over people like my wife who waited in line?

I want Geraldo to look me in the ye and call me a racist just once. It won’t be chairs being thrown at him this time, I promise you that.

Pcoop on May 28, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Maybe Jerry Rivers is just vying for the VEEP spot under The Obamboozler.

Lockstein13 on May 28, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Why does Fox News keep such a buffoon on the payroll?

Cicero43 on May 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Yeah, they fired John Gibson and kept this goof.

abcurtis on May 28, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Why does Fox News keep such a buffoon on the payroll? Cicero43 on May 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Affirmative action. They must have a certain number of Judeo-Latino imbeciles on staff.

Akzed on May 28, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Hey Geraldo…..#UCK YOU.

saiga on May 28, 2008 at 10:46 AM

The only fruit trees being cut down are those too damaged by frost or phytopthera (I think I spelled that wrong.) Fields lie fallow for a reason, that reason is not because there aren’t enough illegal aliens to tend to them, it’s so they can accumulate enough water for the next year’s crop.

Water which is in short supply due to 30 million extra, non tax-paying illegal immigrants and their countless anchor babies sucking it down.

NTWR on May 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM