Video: Chris Wallace rips Hillary’s “non-apology apology”

posted at 12:10 pm on May 25, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Chris Wallace interviewed Hillary Clinton spokesperson Terry McAuliffe on Fox News Sunday to ask about the now-infamous reference to Robert Kennedy’s assassination as an explanation for her remaining in the primary race. McAuliffe tries trotting out the “I’m sorry if anyone took offense” apology, which Wallace criticizes as a typical Washington ploy:

Ever since Hillary began walking back her comments to the Argus Leader, I was struck by her lack of apology to the Obamas. She has deliberately focused her regrets, such as they are, onto the Kennedys instead. That seems like a provocation towards Barack Obama, daring him to take public offense to it instead of the figurative shrug he has thus far displayed.

And as Wallace notes, the apology has not exactly been complete. Hillary takes the Dick Durbin approach, offering regrets if anyone took offense to her remarks. McAuliffe repeats this several times during the interview, allowing Wallace to confirm that Hillary doesn’t think she said anything wrong. It’s all about the timeline, McAuliffe insists, and nothing else.

Perhaps, but Wallace gets closer to the national reaction when he calls the remarks “tasteless and ghoulish”. Hillary apparently thinks she can brazen her way out of the corner into which she painted herself. Perhaps she can, but she’s more likely to further damage the Clinton brand in the Democratic Party. Even if everyone agrees that she doesn’t hope Obama gets assassinated, the Clintons are supposed to be a lot more politically adept than to leave that impression. If this is the best they can do, the Democrats will have little use for them in the future.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The Hopeinator!

“I’ll be back Barack for the rest of the Change in your pocket.”

Entelechy on May 26, 2008 at 12:47 AM

“I’m Barrack. Give me your Change if you want to live.”

techno_barbarian on May 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Doppelgaenger

Right there in front of me and I still misspelled it.

techno_barbarian on May 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM

techno, please, if you use Doppelgaenger, pick this version up – Doppelgänger – Marx and Engels (German). It makes it more communist.

Entelechy on May 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM

“I’m Barrack. Give me your Change if you want to live.”

techno_barbarian on May 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM

“I’m Barrack. Give me your Change if you want to have any Hope to live.”

Murphy9 on May 26, 2008 at 12:55 AM

“I’m Barrack. Give me your Change if you want to have any Hope to live, you Dopes.”

Murphy9 on May 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Entelechy on May 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Yes. Very good. The umlat (sic?) adds a nice flavor.

Murphy9 on May 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Heh. But we’ve gotta find a way to shorten it way down. Brevity, short attention spans, and all that.

techno_barbarian on May 26, 2008 at 1:01 AM

“Barack, Change for Hope, you Dope” – shorter version, techno

Entelechy on May 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM

The Hopeinator: “Give me your Change if you Hope to live.”

We could do a bunch of these.

Running out of steam right now though.

Mañana, Ya’ll.

techno_barbarian on May 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM

One more…

“Changeocaine. You won’t feel a thing.”

Austin Powers: “And I’m spent.”

techno_barbarian on May 26, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Hope-a-palooza
Change-a-palooza

SNL or MAD TV can’t possible lampoon this guy. He’s a living lampoon.

Mojave Mark on May 26, 2008 at 1:48 AM

What about, D’Hope (pronounced “dope”)? Or D’oh-pe!

(“Just like Obama’s Middle Initial That Shall Not Be Named, the H is silent…!”)

RD on May 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM

“goulish.”

The hits just keep on a-commin’

29Victor on May 26, 2008 at 2:42 AM

B.O.:

You better hope you change.

(Cuz my bitter, clinging wife isn’t proud of you at all.)

hillbillyjim on May 26, 2008 at 2:52 AM

B.O.: (to Ackmuhdinnahjacket)

“I hope you change your mind about those nukes and that Israel-off-the-map thing.”

hillbillyjim on May 26, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Ed, can you track down a similar lashing of Huckabee when he made insinuations about Ronmey’s Mormonism? What is the difference?

{^_^}

herself on May 26, 2008 at 3:28 AM

Still looking for an idea?

How about “Hope-soma for a Change” (a little 1984 ref.)

0r “Hope-a-dope”?

onlineanalyst on May 26, 2008 at 8:12 AM

I finished a draft of that Hopeiate of the Masses poster we were talking about a few days ago.

techno_barbarian on May 25, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Sorry I didn’t stick around longer last night! He looks really spooky in that illustration. Splendid!

RushBaby on May 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM

I guess putting Terry McAwful on to do damage control is better than say Gator Boy Carville or Begagla, but Man E. Day, that was hard even for me to hear.
The clip of Hilly in the super-dee dooper market was a kick…right on front of the condiments. I would have enjoyed the aisle with the Metamucil, Kaopectate, and Pepto-Bismol a little more. Oh yea, then there’s the Depends section.
Her ability to enter the ‘ghoulish’ corner of the spectrum with this (repeated) ‘beyond bizarre’ comment should earn her a cold shoulder even among her fans but I ain’t holding my breath. The Beast has supernatural powers.

Christine on May 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Terry “quart low” McAuliffe it the standby shill for whenever Lanny Davis is in the shop having his batteries changed.

viking01 on May 26, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Nexrad Radar.

jerrytbg on May 25,2008 at 11:07PM.

jerrytbg: Sorry for not getting back sooner,awesome site,
its next to my NOAA’s radar site as a back up,
thank-you very much!

canopfor on May 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Do you ever wonder what the Thanksgiving day table conversation must be like between Chris and his Dad?

Dingbat63 on May 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM

canopfor on May 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Kool!! Just so you know. A few pilot friends of mine use it all the time (nexrad). I live and work on the water, and so far, it has been the most accurate I’ve seen. I know what’s going to happen and when!! For any windsurfers out there, if you don’t know this site you’re nowhere. haha

jerrytbg on May 26, 2008 at 8:54 PM

canopfor on May 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM

One other factor… next time you’ve got a squall line coming through ….compare them.

jerrytbg on May 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM

herself on May 26, 2008 at 3:28 AM

Ahmaneedajob (Huckabee) continues to get a pass. Probably for similar reasons – get the idjit on the ticket, THEN savage him.

sulla on May 26, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Dingbat63 on May 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM

They’re probably wondering if the other put the hit on the turkey.

viking01 on May 26, 2008 at 11:22 PM

One other factor..
jerrytbg on May 26,2008 at 8:54PM.

jerrytbg: Again thanks,Hey you work on the water,fishing,
Coast Guard,or work on freighters?

Oh ya,was that what those clouds were,a squall
line,we normally get snowsqualls,in the winter
of course!

canopfor on May 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM

canopfor on May 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM

I teach sailing and boat maintenance on monohulls up to 50’.

jerrytbg on May 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM