Hillary: I’m sticking around in case Obama gets shot; Update: I had Teddy on my mind, says Hillary; Update: Hillary said same thing in March; Update: No thrill up Matthews’ leg; Update: RFK Jr. defends

posted at 4:35 pm on May 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

Reserve judgment on this one for the time being. Drudge is blaring it but he’s knee-deep in the tank for Obama. The source he links to, the New York Post, isn’t exactly Hillary-friendly. And the only video available at the Argus-Leader is a full replay of her meeting with the paper’s editors with no fast-forward function that I can see. I’m not willing to sit through the whole thing to find this snippet when someone’s bound to cut and upload it within the hour, so in the meantime let’s be prudent. I’ll update when the clip is available.

Until then, geez.

Hillary Clinton today brought up the assassination of Sen. Robert Kennedy while defending her decision to stay in the race against Barack Obama.

“My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don’t understand it,” she said, dismissing calls to drop out.

Maybe all she meant was “well, anything can happen” without meaning to imply the prospect of murder, but good lord. Exit question: Will the number of Democrats who want her out of the race still be in decline after this?

Update: Breitbart’s got a bit of the video. Doesn’t look out of context to me.

Update: The defense:

“She was simply referencing her husband in 1992 and Bobby Kennedy in 1968 as historic examples of the nominating process going well into the summer. Any reading into beyond that would be inaccurate,” responded Clinton campaign spokesperson Mo Elleithee.

Why didn’t she use Teddy’s run at Jimmy Carter in 1980 instead?

Update: The obligatory photoshop.

Update: MSNBC reminds us that she said something similar, albeit much more tactfully, after getting blown out in North Carolina. She’s trying to make the point that anything can happen but this is an exceedingly poor way to do so. Although not surprising: It’s typical of the incompetent way she’s managed her campaign that she wouldn’t have anticipated the reaction to this.

Update: So much clarification. So much weak, unconvincing clarification.

Earlier today I was discussing the Democratic primary history and in the course of that discussion mentioned the campaigns that both my husband and Senator Kennedy waged in California in June 1992 and 1968 and I was referencing those to make the point that we have had nomination primary contests that go into June. That’s a historic fact. The Kennedys have been much on my mind the last days because of Senator Kennedy and I regret that if my referencing that moment of trauma for our entire nation, and particularly for the Kennedy family was in any way offensive. I certainly had no intention of that, whatsoever. My view is that we have to look to the past and to our leaders who have inspired us and give us a lot to live up to, and I’m honored to hold Senator Kennedy’s seat in the United States Senate from the state of New York and have the highest regard for the entire Kennedy family.

Update: What was that again about having Teddy on her mind?

Update (Ed): Well, this thread wouldn’t be complete without having the clip of Chris Matthews trying to explicitly take the viewpoint of — get this — an objective journalist. He’s interviewing chief Obama strategist David Axelrod, who isn’t looking much like a man whose opponents just blew trou:

Can Hillary recover from this? I don’t mean for the nomination; that’s dead. Can she salvage her career at all, or did she just kill the Clinton brand once and for all?

I know this: the Obama campaign will not, under any circumstances, put her on the ticket now. They won’t pay her campaign debt. She will finish her run in Puerto Rico, and then she will simply … go away.

Update: RFK’s son, a Hillary supporter, answers the bell:

In a statement, Kennedy Jr. said: “It is clear from the context that Hillary was invoking a familiar political circumstance in order to support her decision to stay in the race through June. I have heard her make this reference before, also citing her husband’s 1992 race, both of which were hard fought through June. I understand how highly charged the atmosphere is, but I think it is a mistake for people to take offense.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t like to criticize, ’cause I’m a big fan, but I think Allah and Ed need to get a hold of themselves on this one. It’s beginning to sound like MSNBC around here.

The Powerline guys, I notice, aren’t buying in to the shock and outrage.

Infidoll on May 24, 2008 at 2:00 AM

She said what she said. Coming from anyone other than Hillary, I might agree with you.

labrat on May 24, 2008 at 10:35 AM

What does “blew trou” mean?

ForNow, I am not familiar with the term myself, but I would guess that it means to mess your pants.

BigD on May 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM

She is literally up-dumpling, flacking the water, a loose guise, and froging the screen, as they say.

right2bright on May 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Hillary: Kill’em all and let sort them out.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Whoops meant to say –

Hillary: Kill ‘em all and let God sort them out.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 10:58 AM

WOW how f’n hyper sensitive everyone is – she can’t even make a JOKE, and then gets called the glacier… Get over yourselves, you stupid pundits.

AlexB on May 24, 2008 at 11:00 AM

OK, I just watched the video for myself, so I don’t have to be prudent anymore. A veiled threat? Remember this is coming from a Clinton.

Probably just a very dumb statement, but …

Maxx on May 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM

My sister has friends in Virginia who know the first responders to Vince Foster and they claim it was no suicide.

These same friends have a friend who worked in the White House Secret Service during the Clintons and he said they are horrible to work for. And that Chelsea used to come down to the kitchen late at night so the staff could make her something to eat. They never ate together as a family at all, as Hillary claims.

The woman is clearly a liar, when are people going to get it?

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 11:02 AM

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 11:02 AM

This place is starting to resemble the DU. *sigh*

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Why do you think Bill is so quick to say “oh ok, lets just make her VP then”. His little mystery buddies will see to it she get to Prez by default. Now my question has always been this….”Why in the hell does that woman want to be President so damn bad?” What special power is it that she needs and to do what with it? That what you all need to ask. When Dubya got in, he zipped out some quick orders to undo something the CLintons had going, I believe before the band even stopped playing from the swear-in. Nah, there’s more to this, and no one wants to be incharge for the people’s well being, she has some unfinished Clinton business to do, and after the election, and the files get released, we’ll find out maybe what some of that is.

johnnyU on May 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

“She will finish her run in Puerto Rico, and then she will simply … go away.”

Heh!

gbear on May 24, 2008 at 11:46 AM

johnnyU on May 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Can we not, umm, become Truthers? Please? Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 12:05 PM

This place is starting to resemble the DU. *sigh*

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM

DU?? No one at DU is speaking the truth about the Clintons.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 12:15 PM

This place is starting to resemble the DU. *sigh*

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Heh, if you don’t think there were any mysterious deaths surrounding the Clinton’s then you don’t know anything about the Clinton’s.

Vince Foster, along with a long list of others that had the potential to destroy the Clinton’s could not be reached for comment.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 12:21 PM

DU?? No one at DU is speaking the truth about the Clintons.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I was referring to the unhinged conspiracy theory levels.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Every death is “mysterious” to a conspiracy theorist.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM

johnnyU on May 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Obama would be crazy to pick her, talk about writing your own unfortunate destiny.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Every death is “mysterious” to a conspiracy theorist.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM

And you are naive if you don’t believe conspiracies ever happen. Here are approximately 513,000 examples of “Convicted of Conspiracy.” But of course according to you, conspiracies don’t happen.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Ohhh, I see now.

At first I thought this was her way of injecting herself into a story, any story, so that the media would pay attention to her.

Now I know that she said the exact same words back in March of this year to Time magazine.
Much ado about Nothing.
People are way too sensitive.

bridgetown on May 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM

You are a liar.
First, I never said “conspiracies NEVER happen”, liar.
Second, conspiracy in this context has a more specific meaning, as does “conspiracy theorist” (of course, you know that, liar, but you like to play semantics games anyway).

A conspiracy theory is a hypothesis that alleges a coordinated group are and/or were secretly working together to commit illegal or wrongful actions including hiding the existence of the group and its activities. In notable cases the hypothesis contradicts what was or is represented as the mainstream explanation for historical or current events. The phrase is also used dismissively to label hypothetical speculation as being untrue or outlandish.

There’s a difference between people convicted of conspiracy based on sound evidence and a bunch of nuts on the Internet claiming The Clenis Clan is systematically knocking off political opponents without a shred of real evidence, liar.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Oh, I see. So your saying that conspiracies only exist after they have been proven by a court of law. That is equally naive.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Still lying? Where did I say they “ONLY EXIST after they have been proven in a court of law”? I said there’s a difference between one that is well documented and backed by solid evidence and one without any good evidence behind it. The former is a result of careful analysis. The latter is a result of a demented mind hellbent on railing a political opponent no matter how damaging it is to his cause or others who otherwise support his cause (ie: me).

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I’m thinking this is the America that democrats have in mind.

A assassination is inevitable.

A look into the soul of these people.

Kini on May 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Oh, lets see now. So far I am a “liar”, a “conspiracy theorist” and I have a “demented mind.” All of that because I don’t alway buy the official explanation. Is there anything else you would like to call me. Just get it all off your chest while your at it.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Hillary is bad news, no love for her here, etc. It was a stupid thing to say because it opened the door for he accusations now being hurled about her intent. She was not saying that she’s in the race in case Hussein gets shot, she was clumcily referencing the date of RFK’s shooting to demonstrate that in June of 68 the nomination was still undecided. Stupid, yes. Malicious, no.

There’s enough to accuse her and BJ of without going here.

Akzed on May 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

I’m thinking this is the America that democrats have in mind.

A assassination is inevitable.

A look into the soul of these people.

Kini on May 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM

I’m thinking this is the America that democrats the Clintons have in mind.

A assassination is inevitable.

A look into the soul of these people.

The Clintons just may be the closet thing to that Illuminati the conspiracy theorists speak of….

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM

I am hoping that Hillary just misspoke, I am praying that she is not wishing for the demise of anyone in the wake of this campaign.

But many seem to disagree across the country.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

CDS is in the house!

funky chicken on May 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM

But many seem to disagree across the country.

AprilOrit on May 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM

There is a possibility that she did simply misspeak, but after watching the video, there is no real continuity in her statements. She points out (inaccurately, IMO) that her husband clinched the nomination in California in June, and then throws in the Kennedy assasination comment. Sure, Kennedy was on track to win the dem nod, but she leaves that unsaid. It seemed that you could take it either way, and based on prior experience, many of her comments are structured in precisely that manner.

Think_b4_speaking on May 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

No, you’re a liar because you lied about what I said as I carefully documented in previous comments. You’re a conspiracy theorist and have a demented mind because you believe stupidass slander without any evidence to support it. Done feigning victimhood yet?

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Then perhaps you would be kind enough to tell me what “conspiracy theory” I advanced.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM

All right, here’s a substantive reason for why Obama will win:

Because technically, it’s not up to the people anymore. It’s up to those in the news media and them who own Hollywood and all the sources of information. Once this small group (not the American people) pick their candidate it’s over for the other candidates. A good example was when they started pushing two liberals in McCain and Romney onto conservatives as the only candidates that we had to choose from. It was painfully obvious at the MSNBC and CNN GOP television debates with the one-sided speaking times. They literally wouldn’t give Mike Huckabee any speaking time because they knew he would have done well. That aside, really it’s whoever the media favours that will win. They are a propoganda machine and right now Obama is their golden boy. Sorry bout that decent, honest, hard working American citizens.

apacalyps on May 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM

The conspiracy theory that Clinton has been knocking off people who inconvenience them.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM

What headline would get most Buzz around the internet and water coolers?

Hillary asks for patience in nominating process..

or..

Hillary says SOMEONE COULD GET ASSASSINATED.

sheesh..

Chakra Hammer on May 24, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Reserve judgement? What the hell are you talking about? Hillary and Bill have more dead ex-business partners than the Gotti family.

revolution on May 24, 2008 at 3:54 PM

The elephant in the room remains the question what does “blew trou” mean? — unless BigD is right and it means “messed one’s pants.” ED MORRISSEY! What does “blew trou” mean? Something to do with a ship’s engine?

ForNow on May 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Well OK then. You nailed me. When it comes to the Clinton body count I do find something odd about it and I reject many of the official explanations.

Here is a Snopes page, Snopes leans to the left but they do a pretty good job with their explanations for all the death that surrounded the Clintons. They hold your view, if you care to view it, here it is.

But I must admit, I find this page more compelling.

If that makes me a conspiracy theorist on this issue, then so be it, I am one.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Let’s see, power hungry, liberally demented, habitual lying ego maniacs with powerful global connections and a treasure trove of capital in an underdog role for the most powerful office in the world by a 2 bit senator who came out of nowhere and ruined your 8+ years of planning, scheming and positioning…

I’d keep an eye out on BO’s security. Would be interesting to see if it goes into some type of hyper awareness level or includes more staff in the next few days.

javamartini on May 24, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Sweet,juicy,chewy chocolaty meltdown. With rich creamy nougat. She’s just as hideous as I always imagined. See ya.

ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Drudge is blaring it but he’s knee butt-deep in the tank for Obama.

I don’t know what the fuss is. She clearly meant only that it’s only May, and lots of elections have been decided long after this date.

I think some of our leadership is overly sensitive to the pansy candidate from Illinois and his chosen race.

Jaibones on May 24, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Thank you, thank you Hillary, even if it’s for one day. Thank you, thank you.

patrick neid on May 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM

So Hillary is planning to dispose of Obama just like she did to Vince Foster, and she just told the whole world (via the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader) about it.
Not a very smart murderess, is she?

infidel65 on May 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

I haven’t read all the comments here, but this is clearly much ado about nothing. I’ve seen the clip. She was talking about campaigns (that’s campaigns, plural) running into June. RFK’s did, until he was assassinated.

I am no fan of Missus Slick, but she was clearly not implying, inferring, or intimating anything else, and the media (including this site!) are absolutely wrong to pretend otherwise in hopes of stirring the pot.

Besides, I want Operation Chaos to continue!

MrLynn on May 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Is she fixin’ to add to the Clinton body count?

jediwebdude on May 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Let me add that the headline on this original post is way, way out of line: “. . .sticking around in case Obama gets shot.” That’s not funny, it’s disgraceful, and you should apologize.

MrLynn on May 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM

MrLynn on May 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Are you tone deaf? This is huge! BTW. The last time I purposely tuned into Rush he was whining about how tough he had it having to lay out his suits for the maid to pack poor thing. Just your average Joe. I decided ,after that, that I didn’t like him anymore and that he probably farts a lot.

ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Hillary to Obama: Drop dead, please! And if not, could I be your running mate?

I wonder if Barry O is beefing up his Secret Service protection…

Steve Z on May 24, 2008 at 8:02 PM

jediwebdude on May 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM

No but you’re fixin’ to make us look like retards.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Jesus tap dancing christ, folks.

She was talking about people campaigning into the summer. Nothing more than that. Oh, and yes, Vince Foster killed himself. Yes, he did. Falwell’s video was a piece of schlock.

And yes, I hate the Clintons as much as anyone else, but they are not organizing murders. Get over yourselves. Oy vay.

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2008 at 9:56 PM

No but you’re fixin’ to make us look like retards.

Darth Executor on May 24, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Once again all you have to offer is ad hominem attacks, if anyone a disgrace to this forum it’s you. Why don’t you troll your way on over to Kos and play with those kids. Your inane comments might be more appreciated over there.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Not to be alarmist here or anything but I would really not be surprised if somewhere along the line at least an attempt was made on Obama..the fact is there will be extremists out there that will absolutely not accept a black president…and his race baiting wife and preacher just make it more likely…will have nothing to do with the Clintons either

JKotthoff on May 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM

The easiest way to advertise that you haven’t graduated college, is to use the term “ad hominem” in any context. Most of us,who speak English, use the term “Insult” or “Personal Attack” because “Ad Hominem” is hopelessly pretentious. Darth is right. Conspiracy nuts taint our whole movement. Not fair true, but that’s the way we rolls Bra!.

ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM

MadisonConservative on May 24, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I personally don’t think she is planning any kind of hit. I just wouldn’t put it past her. I think she meant exactly what she said but more out of spite and wishful thinking. In fact, all evidence states all she is riding on is wishful thinking at the moment. Unless she knows something we don’t.

javamartini on May 24, 2008 at 11:00 PM

ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Hopelessly pretentious has always described me. Thank you for not making you attack ad hominem.

Maxx on May 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM

hehehe. No worries mate!

ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM

ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Ah but my fine fellow to speak in a pretentious manner is one of the main benefits of spending fours years in one of those otherwise mostly intellectually stifling institutions.

Holmes on May 25, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Holmes on May 25, 2008 at 2:36 AM

I guess you get what you pay for…

ronsfi on May 25, 2008 at 4:36 AM

What evil lurks in the heart of the HildaBeast? The Shadow knows.

SICK. Disgusting. And yet revealing. Hillary Clinton is staying in the race in the event some nut kills Barack Obama.

It could happen, but what definitely has happened is that Clinton has killed her own chances of being vice president. She doesn’t deserve to be elected dog catcher anywhere now.

Her shocking comment to a South Dakota newspaper might qualify as the dumbest thing ever said in American politics.

Her lame explanation that she brought up the 1968 assassination of Robert Kennedy because his brother Ted’s illness was on her mind doesn’t cut it. Not even close.

We have seen an X-ray of a very dark soul. One consumed by raw ambition to where the possible assassination of an opponent is something to ponder in a strategic way. Otherwise, why is murder on her mind?
- Michael Goodwin

MB4 on May 25, 2008 at 5:12 AM

It’s like Tanya Harding’s kneecapping has come to politics. Only the senator from New York has more lethal fantasies than that nutty skater.
- Michael Goodwin

MB4 on May 25, 2008 at 5:20 AM

She can apologize from now until the day Bubba Billy finally admits he DID have sexual relations with that woman (and several others for that matter).

Damage is done.

It’s endgame.

pilamaye on May 25, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Are you tone deaf? This is huge! BTW. . .
ronsfi on May 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Nuts. It’s only ‘huge’ because the MSM and apparently AP and Ed are taking a completely innocent comment out of context and blowing it up out of all proportion, with the aim, I guess, of sticking the fork in the Missus.

Me, I want to see her continue all the way to the convention. I want to see the Dems in complete disarray. So even if she had suggested doing away with the Obambi, I wouldn’t make anything of it.

But Fox has shown the clip several times, and it is clear that she was talking about campaigns extending into June, nothing more.

MrLynn on May 25, 2008 at 7:37 AM

A couple of things to add here..

This sounds like another coded message ala Osama bin Laden hidden messages inside his released vid. tapes……

Lastly……didn’t essentially Lyndon Johnson allegedly do this to JFK, only he waited, as the VP, until into his term of Office……..

sbark on May 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM

I read Clinton’s statement as going back to a critical event in her life to think of a date, refreshing her own recollection as it were. She says that but “Allahpundit” can read her mind?

Hmmmm?

Are you people on the crack?

Beagle on May 25, 2008 at 2:15 PM

MrLynn on May 25, 2008 at 7:37 AM

That’s not the way it sounds to me. I read it as stunningly callous and calculating. Also, if the MSM and the Blogosphere both regard something as huge…well that’s pretty much the definition of huge.

ronsfi on May 25, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Why didn’t she use Teddy’s run at Jimmy Carter in 1980 instead?

two reasons

1. Kennedy current health and then the media would have jumped on her or trying to politicize the situation and his health.

2. Why would she want to be compared to Kennedy who screwed up a convention?

Chakra Hammer on May 25, 2008 at 8:43 PM

ronsfi on May 25, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Did you literally read it, not see it? Russert played the whole thing in context today, and it really was nothing at all.

Frankly, the blogosphere jumping on every small slip a candidate or politician makes, then blowing it up all out of proportion, makes the blogosphere no better than the worst of the MSM, especially the tabloids and 24-hour cable news. The front page of Hot Air is, to my mind, egregious in this regard, no less so than the tabloids, which it emulates to a dismaying degree.

Not that there isn’t a good deal of fun in raunchy and snide headlines and graphics, and over-reaction to everything, but how can one rail against the MSM if one is just as thoughtless and overwrought?

These Beltway and other denizens have so many glaring faults and objectionable qualities that it really is not necessary to vent our collective spleen on trivia like this. Just because they do it on TV doesn’t make it right.

MrLynn on May 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM

BTW, I agree entirely with Paul of Power Line on this matter:

MrLynn on May 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM

UPDATE:

Politico editor John Harris validates my position:

But Clinton’s clumsiness does not excuse news media clumsiness in making a minor story seem like a major one. . .

in column linked by HA at top.

Read it.