Audio: Ron Paul and Alex Jones on … the Trilateral Commission

posted at 3:35 pm on May 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

I didn’t realize his paranoia reached quite this deep (although it’s deep enough), but lefty blogger Steve Benen was goofing on him for it as far back as last November. Here you go, starting at around 3:20: America’s Greatest Patriot confabbing with America’s foremost conspiracy theorist about the darkest specter of Bircher fever dreams, the nexus of the global power structure that trembles in fear before the 3% rEVOLution.

Read the Infowars article for highlights, too. Such is Doctor Paul’s isolationism that he thinks Barack Obama is a tool of the military-industrial complex.

Update: Watch this if you haven’t seen it before to understand what Alex Jones and his audience believe, precisely, about the Trilaterals and Bildberberg Group.

Comments

The shear level of crazy in this meeting of the minds is more than the internet can handle. I’m pretty sure that my computer will melt if I even think about pressing play.

Jeff_McAwesome on May 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM

My God, I want this man as our president!

Sincerely,

John Derbyshire

thirteen28 on May 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM

every far-left lunatic unsubstantiated Conspiracy theory, with an R next to his name. that is Ron Paul…

Yeaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

jp on May 22, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Crazy is as crazy does

RINO_Hunter on May 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM

The Only Crazy Uncle Who Can Save America!!!!

bikermailman on May 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I like Melvin Udall’s quote in “As Good As It Gets.”

“Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City ‘Sailor wanna hump-hump’ bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we’re all stocked up here.”

Quite fitting, no?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 22, 2008 at 3:54 PM

it should give anyoen that is sane and likes ron paul some serious pause, not just this but his repeated interest in appearing on this nutbags show.

jp on May 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM

“They can’t control the price of gold” -Ron Paul, OBGYN.

Seriously, enough with the gold, jeez.

Conservative Gunman on May 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Seriously, enough with the gold, jeez.

Conservative Gunman on May 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM

The Jews have all the gold anyway!!

Sincerely,

Ron Pa … er … Lew Rockwell. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

thirteen28 on May 22, 2008 at 4:01 PM

david asman has had paul on several times recently on his Fox Business channel show, on economic matters. He pressed him last week on the Federal Reserve and his desire to have no Fractional reserve lending. Asman pointed out how the computer revolution and all the investment that went into it that made it happen was due soley to the current system and wouldn’t be possible without fractional lending.

paul had nothing gibberish in response.

jp on May 22, 2008 at 4:02 PM

My God, I want this man as our president!

Sincerely,

John Derbyshire

thirteen28 on May 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I love National Review but I cann not read Debyshire anymore.

NotCoach on May 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM

The Jews have all the gold anyway!!

Yeah, and if you listened to the whole clip he once again insinuates that they also own every single bank in the world.

Where are our resident paultardnutpistachios at?

Conservative Gunman on May 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM

mutt 1 talks to mutt 2.

zzzzzzzzzzz

pabarge on May 22, 2008 at 4:19 PM

“Dignified manner” Yeeeahhhhhhh…that’s gonna happen.

bikermailman on May 22, 2008 at 4:20 PM

It’s too bad that the standard for GOP libertarians has to be carried by a genuine kook. I like a lot of his conclusions on limited government and the drug war, but the reasoning he uses to arrive there is rather frightening.

joewm315 on May 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Ouch.

A confession: Alex Jones’ dad David was my first college roommate at UT/Austin back in ’69 and has been a life long friend. A more rational, decent person you’ll never meet. He was a rancher’s son from Fairfield, Texas.
Alex was always a different kind of kid..

TexasJew on May 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Someone correct me on this. Didn’t Ron Paul play down his association with Alex Jones not too long ago?

GT on May 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM

That a huge sink hole would develop here in Austin under Alex’s studio and swallow it whole….

RobertInAustin on May 22, 2008 at 5:25 PM

joewm315 on May 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Every party is entitled to their own version of Robert Byrd

RobertInAustin on May 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Paul was Andrew Sullivan’s choice as the “only true conservative” in the party.

Chew on that.

Sullivan now, of course, endorses Obama.

Okay, stop chewing.

Chewing and laughing simultaneously can rupture your spleen.

SteveMG on May 22, 2008 at 5:34 PM

I thought leprechauns had all the gold.

Master Shake on May 22, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I didn’t find anything he said “nutty”, and I’m not sure why the gold standard is attacked. If it was so nutty then why were we on it for so long? It is a fiscal policy that works, but like any system it has advantages and disadvantages just as our current system does.

I don’t believe the wealth, this country has created since we left the gold standard, could have been produced under that system. That doesn’t mean we have a perfect system, and I think it takes strong management to keep from falling into the trap of just printing money when you need it. I’m not sure we have that kind of management strength at the moment.

DFCtomm on May 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

This comment removed by the Trilateral Commision.

Titus Flavius on May 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM

DFCtomm on May 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

be careful of your steps friend, the gang here on Hot Air don’t take kindly to anybody who says anything but insulting, and demeaning things about Ron Paul, his supporters, Alex Jones, and his listeners.

RMC1618 on May 22, 2008 at 7:16 PM

That so?!?

Hmmmm

Lemme think of something really obnoxious. I don’t know how to say ‘he is a clinical moron with nice suits’ in any way that might not offend the Paulnuts.

Lemme think it over.

Oh…. get a kick outta this…

ilitigant on May 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM

I hate to say this, but Bob Barr is as nutty as Ron Paul. Neither deserves the vote of any sane American.

Of course, either does Barry H Obama, but that’s a whole different story.

funky chicken on May 22, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I hate to say this, but Bob Barr is as nutty as Ron Paul.
funky chicken on May 22, 2008 at 7:41 PM

No way. You just heard Dr. Paul and his friend reference the minutes from a meeting of an imaginary commission. Unless Bob Barr is battling against leprechaun immigration, it’s no contest.

joewm315 on May 22, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Maybe I am missing something but outside mentioning the alleged “trilateral commission” and the 911 Conspiracy intro there was nothing really crazy in that bit, they were just talking monetary policy. Regardless the Bilderberg Group Meetings do exist but unlike Alex I’m not jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions about their activities.

I have no problem saying I agree with them on limited government, reduced spending and taxation, increased personal freedoms ect… it is just the never ending unsubstantiated conspiracies that IMO ruin whatever good points they have. Which is a shame with Bush spending like a Drunken Sailor on worthless things like aid to Africa.

Poptech on May 22, 2008 at 7:59 PM

DFCtomm on May 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I have a problem with people who believe that all progress, changing and refining of systems ended in 1776.

RobertInAustin on May 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Unless Bob Barr is battling against leprechaun immigration, it’s no contest.

joewm315 on May 22, 2008 at 7:54 PM

I know Bob Barr and he was my congressfreak.

Yes, he is just a vacant of real principles and a concrete grasp on reality as Ron Paul.

EJDolbow on May 22, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Alex Jones is occasionaly on Coastocoast radio program,
and its always a entertaining Moonbat three hours!

canopfor on May 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM

The groupthink in this thread is breathtaking.

fossten on May 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM

The moonbat in that audio clip is breathtaking.

Big Orange on May 22, 2008 at 11:28 PM

EJDolbow on May 22, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Dude, Congressfreak is my new favorite word. Don’t worry, I’ll credit you when using it.

joewm315 on May 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM

The groupthink in this thread is breathtaking.

Well, we can’t all be freethinking individuals like you!

Jim Treacher on May 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Mars is amazing………

dmann on May 23, 2008 at 2:29 AM

RobertInAustin on May 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM

You left out my second paragraph where I said this:

DFCtomm on May 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I’m not an economist, but I do play one on TV, and, as I understand it, the gold standard is just a check against bad management producing an excess of currency and ramping up inflation. If we don’t have bad management, then we don’t need the gold standard.

I just don’t understand why people talk about the gold standard like it’s some wacky new concept. I don’t agree with Ron Paul on this issue, but since he is proposing a return to a proven conservative standard I don’t make comments about aluminum foil hats.

DFCtomm on May 23, 2008 at 3:07 AM

DFCtomm on May 23, 2008 at 3:07 AM

You know, Dr. Paul’s belief in the gold standard has always interested me, mostly because buying gold was the only sound investment I’ve ever made. Whether my own meager personal financial experience is anything to base a national economy on is certainly in doubt, but it does make me interested to learn more about it.

joewm315 on May 23, 2008 at 3:35 AM

the confluence of audio streams of these two morons is just the most perfect storm of stupid you are ever likely to listen to in your life.

MannyT-vA on May 23, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Ya see, I hate stories like this. All that yummy, weapons-grade crazy makes me follow all the links and I get stuck. The addendum to the Straight Dope piece has an email (probably from Dr. Paul hisself) nattering on about the “17/23 Correlation”. What the hell is that? Anyone know?
A whole day’s worth of productivity may be ruined by websearches looking for whackjob detritus otherwise!

dougwinship on May 23, 2008 at 7:57 AM

From a minimalist perspective, yes you’re essentially correct. Pegging the money supply to a fixed point removes the ability of the government to adjust the money supply. Incidentally, you don’t need gold to do this.

However, the ability to adjust the money supply is one of the most potent weapons we have to combat inflation and unemployment. Gold bugs will tell you that the economy will adjust around the money supply, but our experience has shown that the adjustment is a prolonged, messy one. A floating currency is very effective in keeping recessions from turning into depressions.

Then there’s also the minor (ha ha) point that there isn’t enough gold in the world to support our economy, meaning that if we went to a gold standard (which would have to be a 100% standard, because a partial standard is little different from the fiat currency Paul is so dead set against) our money supply would shrink precipitously, plunging the economy into a depression.

Simply put, I agree with the concept of a responsible monetary policy, but I do not believe we need to use shiny rocks to make one possible.

JohnTant on May 23, 2008 at 9:36 AM