Sweeps month alert: Bikinis and pasties and lattes, oh my!

posted at 6:10 pm on May 20, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

A quick check of the calendar shows that we’re still in Sweeps Month, when cable-news networks desperate for a ratings bump break out the hard-hitting stories. Once again we return to MS-NBC, the Little Network No One Watches, for their blanket coverage of the Great Bikini Meltdown. This time, a small community deals with the hysteria and heartbreak of bikini-clad baristas — and worse.

My favorite part comes at the 1:10 mark, where a mother calls Hot Chick-a-Latte “terrifying” for having its server in nothing more than panties and pasties. Annoying, perhaps, but “terrifying”? I give her higher marks for her protest — she started a clothing drive for the baristas in question.

I’m not even going to bother posting the video, which is inane. The bikini has been with us for decades now. The pastie has been with us longer, although usually it remains the province of adults-only entertainment rather than a drive-through coffee shop. A bikini-clad girl in public simply doesn’t amount to news anywhere except on national cable networks, and in moments of honesty, even news directors at places like MS-NBC would admit that they run these strictly for the titillation value. Note the camera scans of the bikini barista who thoroughly enjoys every second of attention she receives from the news crew.

Of course, from the network that offers nothing more than lunatic harangues from Keith Olbermann and thrills up Chris Matthews’ leg, this could qualify as a Pulitzer Prize entry.

Comments

Pretty sure she wasn’t “terrified” by the almost naked woman in pasties … as much as she was “terrified” that her young impressionable children were face to face with something she as their mom did not want them to see at their ages.

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Pasties in public is going overboard. I’m not so sure that they would be permitted at the beach.

Sydney Carton on May 20, 2008 at 6:22 PM

I don’t meant to be critical, but I am curious: How is posting about bikinis and MSNBC different then say… O’Reilly complaining about Girls Gone Wild (or similar) while running film in the background? Kind of drinking at the same well isn’t whether you are putting it on TV or commenting on a blog, no?

Spirit of 1776 on May 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Annoying, perhaps, but “terrifying”?

Sorry, but you people just don’t get it. This is the Pacific Northwest we are talking about here. Women’s bodies NEVER see the sun here. When they take their clothes off, they are whiter than a polar bear. It IS terrifying.

My collie says:

But it’s not a problem for your Filipina wife, right?

Actually, the last time her family saw my wife on the web-cam (they communicate via Internet cafe in the Philippines), her younger sister asked us if my wife had been sick of somethin’.

CyberCipher on May 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM

The bikini has been with us for decades now. The pastie has been with us longer...

So what?

…although usually it remains the province of adults-only entertainment rather than a drive-through coffee shop.

That’s the point, and while I agree that “terrifying” is a poor choice of words, there’s something very wrong if pasties is what one gets at the local drive thru, without warning, when and where it’s likely that kids will be in tow.

As for it’s newsworthiness, yes, it is a ratings grab and I am the last person to defend MS-NBC, but if we’re agitated by cultural lows like Beyonce’s clothing line, why is this story being pooh-poohed?

Buy Danish on May 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 6:21 PM

And by the looks of their mom…never will.
So she never will take them to the beach, lake, or the public pool?

right2bright on May 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM

I don’t think that beaches, lake or public pool allow women to walk around in pasties and a barely there bikini bottom, right2bright.

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Near-nudity and scalding-hot coffee.

What could possibly go wrong?

Rhinoboy on May 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM

The bikini has been with us for decades now

and we couldn’t be happier.

A bikini-clad girl in public

is always welcome at my house.

whitetop on May 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM

In the words of God from Genesis, ‘Who told you that you were naked?’

ThackerAgency on May 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 6:40 PM

We’re talking parallel universe here.

Buy Danish on May 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Love the summertime. Here in Sacramento we have, every weekend, teenage and college age girls in bikini tops and short shorts holding up signs for fundraising car washes pointing to the nearest big empty lot.

Marc01 on May 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I am terrified when someone whines “There should be a law…”.

DaveS on May 20, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Aa a Conservative, I am shocked that some people get so uptight over this stuff. Seeing a near-naked woman is not going to harm that idiot woman’s kids. Her prudishness, however, might I fear.

Gatordoug on May 20, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Bonney Lake is outside Seattle. This is a trend that is showing up at more independent latte stands out in the ‘burbs. I can’t recall seeing any in the city, but then I am not out scouting for them.

It’s a bit of a culture clash. Seattle is famously liberal with their politics and social standards, and the suburbs are fairly conservative and traditional. This is one instance where the two cultures have met and there are sparks.

Mallard T. Drake on May 20, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Mature Immature customers only.

jgapinoy on May 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM

How is this much different than Hooters? The woman mentioned pasties but all I saw were girls in bathing suits. I’ve seen much skimpier attire at public beaches. If they are wearing less than what was shown then that would be a problem but those bikini’s? Other than the obvious safety hazard I don’t see a problem.

Guardian on May 20, 2008 at 7:18 PM

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Look again (I am sure you have) those aren’t pasties, that is a bathing suit. No different then any other bathing suit on a 25 year old hard body, not that I noticed.
You can bet the complainers are ones that could never wear that bathing suit.
Hey, next time, get out of the car and walk into a coffee shop. That is why that gal was 40 lbs overweight.
She was probably looking for pastries, while her husband was looking for pasties.

right2bright on May 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Well, terrified… hmmm…. if it’s Helen thomas in them thar pasties and panties…. well I’D BE TERRIFIED!!

Warner Todd Huston on May 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Love the summertime. Here in Sacramento…
Marc01 on May 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Liar…

right2bright on May 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM

All you immoral heathens are going to burn in h . . .

Oh, wait, it’s not Sunday – let’s go get a latte.

platypus on May 20, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Look again (I am sure you have) those aren’t pasties, that is a bathing suit.
right2bright on May 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Wow. You aren’t very bright.

The woman in the bathing suit is not the one that the mom is talking about. The other person wearing the pasties wasn’t interviewed. They did get some chicks in bikinis selling coffee to come on camera.

Again, a little advice to you is in order: It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt, right2bright.

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Ugh, I just keep seeing them getting splashed with boiling milk (which hurts much worse than boiling water because it sticks) and cringing.

Tanya on May 20, 2008 at 7:55 PM

I was lead to believe there were pasties in this thread…where are the pasties?

Asher on May 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM

right2bright,
I couldn’t Google Sacramento car wash pics but found some from Tenn. Scroll down to the bottom to see how these HS cheerleaders do it.

Marc01 on May 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM

What’s a “barista”?

Fancy name for minimum-wage counter help?

Texan on May 20, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Warner Todd Huston on May 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Pinkybigglesworth? Is that you?

CyberCipher on May 20, 2008 at 8:28 PM

I live in Seattle; I have seen these stands, as has my wife. Some of the girls definitely wear pasties. The construction workers and the Mexicans line up to ogle the young (some under 18) girls all morning. What a standard to set for yourself – to sell bad coffee naked while getting eyed by strange men.

Of course, most of you, from the comments I’ve seen so far, seem to be OK with this, so I guess the rest of us should quit whining.

As for the “no different than at the beach” argument, when did beachwear become the accepted standard for women’s clothing?

I guess I can enjoy a cup of coffee without needing to gawk at a young girl in underwear. Must be something wrong with me.

fourstringfuror on May 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Just picture Rosie in a bikini!

Hate me now?? :)

kiakjones on May 20, 2008 at 8:39 PM

May sweeps ends tomorrow, it will be over soon.

pb5000 on May 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Why buy the latte when you can get cheap thrills instead?

Have you seen the price of a latte? There’s nothing cheap about any of this…

ScottMcC on May 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Kids Corrupted By The Sight Of Titties!!! Film at 11:00!

deewhybee on May 20, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Butthead: “Uh huh huh huh, uh… You said titillation.”

// Sorry. Had to.

techno_barbarian on May 20, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Ok, riddle me this, which is worse, these normal young girls working in their bathing suits/pasties, OR, the “Breasts not Bombs” women/man on hormones who go out in public holding political signs???!!

4shoes on May 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM

4shoes on May 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Without a doubt the “Breasts not Bombs” women/man on hormones is much worse.

Mainly because their breasts are not appealing to look at.

F15Mech on May 20, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Just picture Rosie in a bikini!

Hate me now?? :)

kiakjones on May 20, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Help! My mind is on fire!!! You burned my mind’s eyes!!! Oh the humanity!!! How cruel can you be?!?!?!?

Vntnrse on May 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Scariest phrase in the english language “There should be a law…”

No. There should be COMMON SENSE – in both camps.

Neo on May 20, 2008 at 11:04 PM

And the world moves one step closer to “Idiocracy.”

Eric12470210 on May 21, 2008 at 12:15 AM

“Terrifying”? Of course it is inappropriate, but enough with the OVER ridiculous super double shot of reaction over reaction!

Come on, lady. Grow up!

In the words of President Bush, “bring it on,” pasties baristas!

Starbucks got NOTHIN on y’all!

blatantblue on May 21, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Same thing’s happening over here with ‘Kitten’ car wash at the moment. Local council is finding every legal loophole to shut it down since they can’t shut it down soley for having girls in bikinis wash your car..

Reaps on May 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Is it just me, or did her voice break as she said that, like she was about to cry?! Homegirl needs to take it down a notch.

Mark Jaquith on May 21, 2008 at 2:51 AM

I can’t believe she didn’t know what kind of places these are beforehand…they’ve been open for a long time, have names that advertise the attraction, and have become well-known way outside the state (I live in Michigan and I’ve heard of them before). This reeks of intentional setup and calls for a healthy dose of STFU for ‘mom.’

James on May 21, 2008 at 7:27 AM

It always cracks me up when the most obvious answer, not buying her coffee there, is the last one she wants to use.

Karl on May 21, 2008 at 2:32 PM

wise_man on May 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM

You have probably moved on.
Notice how unreasonably upset that women was? She “claimed” to have seen someone wearing pasties. No one else had stated that. So her word? Ok, you believe her, I believe what I saw. I say that she had to pull out the “pasty” card, because she knew bikini was not enough to rile you folks up.
Looks like you will believe anything told to you if it fits into your beliefs. I prefer proof, not some outraged, overweight woman upset at someone serving coffee in a bikini. Looks like she doesn’t participate in any high school car washes.
So here is some advice to you (I don’t have any over used quotes for you), have some proof before making an accusation.
This was a news report to rile people up…get a life.

right2bright on May 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM

right2bright,

Marc01 on May 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Those were terrifying…

right2bright on May 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I’m not even going to bother posting the video, which is inane.

Oh yeah? *You’re* inane. No make with the girlie videos.

corncat on April 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM