Obama backer ridicules McCain’s military experience

posted at 6:40 pm on May 20, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Jim Geraghty has this right, although he left one out: once may have been an anomaly, twice a mistake, three times suspicious, and four times is a strategy. A Democratic candidate running against Jack Kingston in Georgia who supports Barack Obama ridiculed John McCain’s military service in a campaign appearance yesterday. Bill Gillespie called McCain a “self-promoter” who came from “Navy royalty” who didn’t earn his way through his military career:

A prominent local Barack Obama backer bashed John McCain‘s military record Monday, calling the Republican presidential candidate a “self-promoter.”

In a nearly-half hour speech, Democratic congressional candidate Bill Gillespie praised Obama, his party’s leading White House hopeful. But he devoted most of his remarks to criticisms of McCain, an Arizona senator who has wrapped up the GOP nomination and was in Savannah for a fundraiser. …

He said his “heart grieves” for McCain‘s suffering as a POW. “After that,” Gillespie said, “he was somewhat of a celebrity and it went to his head. … I think he was a self-promoter for the last four years (in the Navy.)

Asked to cite specific examples, Gillespie responded, “I don’t have one right now.” [emphasis mine -- Ed]

Shorter Gillespie: “I don’t know what I’m talking about.”

Now we have at least three Democrats and Obama supporters on the record as attacking McCain’s 24 years of service in the Navy: Gillespie, Jay Rockefeller, and Tom Harkin, as well as unnamed “colleagues” in the Matt Bai hit piece in the New York Times. The criticisms sound remarkably similar; all of them question the quality of his service, claiming that he grew up as a child of privilege and had his career handed to him, in a role where he didn’t know what combat was really like. He had a “silver spoon”, was “Navy royalty”, and so on.

This sounds like someone wants to fight the elitist stink that has attached itself to the Barack Obama campaign through the intrepidity of the candidate himself. Obama scorned middle-America voters as bitterly clinging to guns and God because of a lack of wealth redistribution in America, while his wife told audiences that she only starting taking pride in America when people supported Obama’s bid for the presidency, and his pastor and friend talked about the US government’s creation of the HIV virus as a genocidal tool against people of color. Team Obama has argued ever since that McCain is the real elitist, and not the Harvard-educated man who sat on boards with William Ayers and never knew he had befriended an unrepentant domestic terrorist.

If the Obama campaign wants to continue its denigration of military service, let them. It’s going to be difficult to sell McCain as a man who got a free ride through a distinguished naval career and attempt to turn a real war hero into a dilettante. That effort will reveal the anti-military animus that surrounds Team Obama and its supporters on the hard Left better than any ad the Republicans can produce.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I haven’t read all the comments yet but…
At this point the Obama handlers could tell his cult that the earth is flat, and they would believe it.
I’ve never been real big on McCain but for some fart in the wind, know nothing, liberal talking point clown like this Gillespie to criticize or even question McCain’s immensely noble military career and sacrifice, I will crawl to the voting both if I have to in order to elect the far better candidate for President of the United States. Keep it up, you bunch of left wing fools!

abinitioadinfinitum on May 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM

He broke after torture to be sure, but he has a long-standing pattern of caving under pressure.

jim m on May 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM

IASD

There’s no rule that says you can’t put pen to paper when you’re being tortured. You’re just supposed to stay alive and keep faith with your fellow prisoners. It’s pretty tough to just avoid being used for propagana, especially a guy like McCain, the son of an admiral. The enemy is going to make propagana. All you can do is try to make it as worthless as possible. Your comments are vile and betray what kind of human you are.

And for those saying he should be sent to SERE, this turd wouldn’t make it and we don’t want him.

BadgerHawk on May 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Mav was on the Forrestal wasn’t he?

LtE126 on May 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM

I’m sure the Third Infantry Division will be glad to see their patch proudly displayed, in pin form, on Gillespie’s lapel.

smagar on May 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Just checked. He was. Some child of privilege.

LtE126 on May 20, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Give jim m a break.

Do any of you have any idea how hard it is for him to type while he’s holding up that poster of Barack Obama with one hand?

exhelodrvr on May 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM

ltE, correct. Also, after the fire, McCain could have returned to the steas with the damaged ship, but instead he volunteered to transfer to the Oriskany, which was low on aviators due to combat losses.

Hanoi was the most heavily defended from air attacks of any city in history, and one third of McCain’s squadron was killed or captured the year he was shot down. Cushy assignment.

juliesa on May 20, 2008 at 10:34 PM

“steas” = “states”

juliesa on May 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Henry Rollins is running for congress in Georgia?

DCJeff on May 20, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Oh there is a lot to tell on this guy. Did a little research on this guy. While I respect his service, the armed forces is a big team and requires the help of a lot of moving parts to be successful, and every part is important.

But the truth is, everyone in the military is supporting the guy on the front line, if you aren’t on the front line your mission is to make sure those on the front line have the support and help they need.

From his own campaing website Gillispie lists his military experience as “Military Logistician”. No hack on those guy’s, they are important to the team effort, and most times do great things to support those on the front lines. But the truth is, “Military Logisticians” don’t spend a lot of time dodging bullets, especially Officer Military Logistician’s”

Hog Wild on May 20, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Back to the original post. I haven’t seen this descriptio of him on this thread, so let me be the first to say it. Bill Gillespie is a fricking scum bag. What is all of this nuanced b.s. He is a worthless chunck of tripe. All of this dancing around is going to help turn the entire apparatus of government into firm control of the Donks. Why oh why can’t some of the people in safe districts start ripping the flesh of some of these radical Donkasses. Its like most of the GOP has been possesed by the body snatchers.

JonRoss on May 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Hey kids,

Apologies to all you blind McCaniacs but there is some truth to this comment. John McCain’s daddy has a ship named after him and while McCain was a POW- Daddy was commander of the Pacific fleet. That’s as close to royalty as you get in Navy. McCain got into Annapolis because of Daddy and his often talked about “squadron command” was because of who daddy more so than his performance. Simply put, John McCain would have retired as a multi-sta Admiral and career Naval officer had not fate intervened.

John McCain has capitalized on his POW status in a way that many other POWs never did. He is a self-promoter and political opportunist.

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

And what have you done? Spill the beans. If you did more or as much as McCain I would like to hear about it, and will praise you for doing so.

Instead of tearing someone else down, do something different, build yourself up on our own actions. It’s close to bedtime and I’m ready for a story.

Hog Wild on May 20, 2008 at 11:36 PM

The same commander who ordered the bombing of Hanoi fully knowing that his own son was there?
Oh to be so privileged.

ArmyAunt on May 21, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Mondale. 48 states.

Jaibones on May 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

GFY you brainless swine.

Jaibones on May 21, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Surrendercrat questioning McCain’s military service?

I wouldn’t expect anything less from a party that worked hard at throwing out absentee military ballots.

91Veteran on May 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Mav was on the Forrestal wasn’t he?

LtE126 on May 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM

IIRC he was sitting in his plane on the deck waiting to take off and the rocket hit the plane in front of him and exploded. McCain’s fuel tanks became involved and he had to run off his plane in a hurry.

All this from my faulty memory. My Dad’s cousin was on the Forrestal that day and I have heard these stories over the years.

EJDolbow on May 21, 2008 at 2:03 AM

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

More than, say…John Kerry?

EJDolbow on May 21, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Sadly, this is likely to help Obama among the younger voters.

WWII generation is dying off.

The Baby Boomers are divided into opposing camps over the Vietnam War, and while they publicly disavow it, because of the high emotions surrounding the issue, a lot of anti-war activists from the 70′s despise the military.

The draft had been discontinued by the time you get to Generation X, severely diluting the empathy between civilians and military career men. However, at least they experienced the end of the Cold War, and so have at least some conception that the military protected them.

The Millennial generation however has never experienced any true danger in their lives up until 9/11. Far too many have bought into the stupid idea that it’s somehow Bush’s fault. In my experience they have no gratitude for the military, and tend to have disdain for those in the military. They’ll eat crap like this and count themselves as sophisticated for it.

Sackett on May 21, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Sackett on May 21, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Not all of us.

I’m living proof. :-)

Hawkins1701 on May 21, 2008 at 3:35 AM

I’m not Queeg’s biggest fan, but this guy’s a scumbag.

Gee, I can’t imagine why the media may have given McCain so much attention after he came home from 5+ years of being tortured in one of the most notorious POW camps in recorded history…[/sarc]

Does this tool bag honestly believe McCain had to go out looking for media attention? After what he went through, I’m almost shocked the guy didn’t have an Oscar winning film made about his ordeal.(Almost shocked. We know the douches in Hollywood consider him a war criminal every bit as much as the NVs did and would never make a half way fair or decent film about him. Okay, maybe Clint Eastwood or Kevin Costner, last I heard was a pretty big fan of McCain, would make a good flick about him, maybe Millius too, but that’s about it. )

Screw this guy.

SuperCool on May 21, 2008 at 3:53 AM

I feel bad for the Marne Division (3d ID (Mechanized)) to have that guy wearing their patch as a lapel pin.

As for “capitalizing” on his time as a POW, it almost stands to reason. Guy spends years in a POW camp, yes, his dad’s a bigwig, resists torture, brutally injured….Might as well get something out of it.

If I use my GI Bill, am I “capitalizing” on my military service? What about a VA loan? Many states offer discounted/free college to war veterans. Am I capitalizing on my combat time if I use those services? Is collecting disability capitalizing on my time in the military? Where does it end?

Spc Steve on May 21, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Yeah, no fair capitalizing on the military service! It just makes him look braver and more patriotic than the other candidates… not that that would give him much of an advantage in some circles…

morganfrost on May 21, 2008 at 6:18 AM

I thought Billy Gillespie was a basketball coach.

rockmom on May 21, 2008 at 7:36 AM

McCain. Weak in 1968. Weak in 2008.

I sincerely hope you guys use this as your slogan. The backlash will be nice to see and in a really bad year for the GOP (well deserved I might add) this will help get the man into office. Of course, while I respect the man for his service I’m not exactly thrilled about all of his policy stances. Even so, he does have more of a sense of honor than Obama and would be a far better president than a man who hangs around terrorists.

JohnAGJ on May 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Ed’s on to something. I thought it was a strategy at Rockefeller, let alone at Harkin. Now this. After 16 years of the Clinton-Carville disease infecting the DNC, one can smell this “make a strength a weakness” garbage a mile away.

Someone needs to get Obama on the record about statements like this, and find out why his surrogates don’t have enough respect for him to follow the admonition to play nice on McCain’s record. I can see the McCain ad now — nail him for all the surrogate attacks on McCain’s record as examples of the old style of politics, then pose the question: “If Barack Obama doesn’t really represent a new kind of politics, he’s just a 46-year-old doctrinaire liberal halfway through his first Senate term.”

And jim m, you’re pathetic.

DrSteve on May 21, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Oh, OK, I get it now. It’s like how Lincoln started the Civil War to make a name for himself. Thanks, Bill for making it clear to me. You walking lump of used excrement.

dhimwit on May 21, 2008 at 8:43 AM

while McCain was a POW- Daddy was commander of the Pacific fleet.

Oh yes and this got him extra special treatment in the Hanoi Hilton. I guess after they beat him for a few hours they massaged his feet. Maybe they left out a candy on his pillow before tossing him into his cell.

TroubledMonkey on May 21, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Classic case of projection.

srhoades on May 21, 2008 at 9:11 AM

I’ve noticed the nutters inside the hard left reality based communities urging Obama to choose Jim Webb (D), war hero, southerner, self-promoter, for the VP slot.

So here they are, these democrats, simultaneously praising and smearing war heroes. Reflection on core principles doesn’t seem to enter the picture for these blokes. Sad, really.

jeff_from_mpls on May 21, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Deja vu. Free ride. Royalty. Dilettante. The Obama people would have a great attack on Teddy Roosevelt.

It will be interesting to see if attacks on Teddy Roosevelt’s legacy get MSM coverage before November.

thuja on May 21, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Any man (like John McCain) who lives off the money of his wife for an extended period is no man at all.

jim m on May 21, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I’m not planning on voting for McCain, but it’s guys like this that make me want to.
When Jesus said “judge not” He was telling the Pharisees that the same criteria they use to judge people will be used to judge them. I cannot nor will not judge anybody’s military record because I dont have one. I have a feeling Gillespie has no right judging McCain.
And whatever “free ride” McCain got while in the military or from the military, he paid for in spades with five years in the Hanoi Hilton.
A lot of McCain’s critics like to point out he finished near the bottom of his Annapolis class. Once again, the fact that he went to Annapolis and finished gives him one up on me and his critics – we never even got there. Even if he was so at the bottom he had to sit by himself, he still did better than any of his critics.
So BACK OFF, Gillespie.

abcurtis on May 21, 2008 at 9:35 AM

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

So what?

abcurtis on May 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM

The things we do for unappreciative civilians…

creekspecter on May 20, 2008 at 7:51 PM

‘creekspecter’, not all of us are unappreciative civilians, or even unapreciative military (Navy) brats.

I’m sure you remember those metal PoW bracelets from back then? In my Catholic high school in Norfolk, VA, some of the names on those bracelets were the names of fathers of classmates. I had a classmate in 7th grade whose dad was on the USS Scorpion. So please believe me when I say this: Not all of us civilians are unappreciative. Only those @ssholes, like some on this thread, are unappreciative (and that’s the best I can say about such flaming c*cksuckers who have no right to take up valuable breathing space). Yeah I’m judgemental about the military and those who serve in my name so that I can be free to type what the hell I think on blogs like this, as well as being judgemental about those complete idiots who blithely criticize such service.

Thank you — all of you. With much sincere appreciation.

RickZ on May 21, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Just as it took Dan Rather to bring down Dan Rather, so it may take Barak Obama, as dilettante with an elitist stink, to bring down the radical left in McGovern-like defeat.

In view of the prospect, Team Obama can be expected soon to make a run to the “center” that will make our eyes pop. Lots of bowling to do, and beers to be chugged.

petefrt on May 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM

jim m on May 21, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I guess you’re one of those Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi Leftist nutbags who tried to convince us in ’04 that John Kerry was a real “man” for living off of his Billionaire wife’s money?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

Nutbag….

Dale in Atlanta on May 21, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, ol’ Johnny-boy was just laying around sipping Mai-tais and eatin’ bon bons for the past couple of decades. Here’s another line I’d dearly love to see you Obamaniacs use. Hell you guys already have alienated many Dem female supporters via the Clinton campaign, add this bit of misogyny to the mix and this election will be a cakewalk for McCain. Pity I don’t enthusiastically support the man but you are making it easier to vote for him when I consider the alternative.

JohnAGJ on May 21, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Cosponsoring bill to reward illegal aliens with in-state tuition and amnesty in 2005-2006
Sen. Obama is a cosponsor of S. 2075, the DREAM Act of 2005. S. 2075 would grant in-state tuition and amnesty to illegal aliens under the age of 21 who had been physically present in the country for five years and are in 7th grade or above. Such a reward for illegal immigration serves as an incentive for more illegal immigration.

DfDeportation on May 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Gillespie removes all doubt that the left is dedicated to destroying our military in any way possible. The savasge attacks against the military and those who have served by Rockefeller, Harkin and now Gillespie are irresponsible. It clearly shows the direction the dimocrats are obssessed to take our country.

volsense on May 21, 2008 at 10:16 AM

jim m, you’ll have better luck finding MDS rightwingers to fool over at freerepublic.com and in the comments section at townhall.

Your schtick isn’t selling here, to hotair.com’s credit.

funky chicken on May 21, 2008 at 10:57 AM

So, Dale, you convinced us in 2004 that Kerry was not a real man because he lived off his Billionaire wife. And now you want to change your mind because it’s McCain and not Kerry?

Hypocrite.

But at least you’re not as much of a coward as fogw who threatens annonymously over the internet to punch out people who disagree with him. Get some professional help, fogw.

jim m on May 21, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I may not be a strong McCain backer; but al least he did something for his country.

oldelpasoan on May 21, 2008 at 10:58 AM

heh

funky chicken on May 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Obama and his team of Marxists have done more to set back
my tolerance of ignorant blacks and whites than any
other person or team in memory.
After 8 years of Bush bashing they now start on
a wounded ex pow that has more integrity in his little
toe than they have in their entire team.
To B. Hussein and you team of Marxists “Go Intercourse Yourselves”

Texyank on May 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM

There are reasons not to vote for John McCain, but his war record ain’t one of them.

sdd on May 21, 2008 at 11:34 AM

jim m
It’s a really nice day out. Turn off your mother’s computer and go outside and play with the rest of the kids.

coldshot on May 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Hypocrite.

Ah NO Nutbag, I’ve been consistant on the issue, unlike you Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi Leftist Nutbags!

I despised John Kerry because he is, and was, a Traitor and legitimately and demonstrably Anti-American.

I could give a damn who he married, how rich he is, and how much money his Papa had!

Could care less!

Cared less back in 2004, don’t care now, never will.

In fact, in a way, I admire him for marrying into money, all his life!

Hell, if some rich woman would look at me twice, I’d marry her in a heartbeat, and live on the beach drinking Coronas the rest of my life!

And guess what I don’t care that McCain married a Billionaire Beer Heiress, its irrelevant.

I don’t particularly like McCain, and if he was running against any “normal” candidate, I’d never even consider voting for him.

But he’s not, he’s the less of “three evils”; we have the Anti-American/Socialist “Billary” Symbiote, the most evil Politician(s) in American History, or we have the Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi “Obamessiah”……or McCain.

At least with McCain, for all his stupidty, is in fact, and “American”, and he won’t surrender to the Jihadis, which Clinton and Obama are competing to do on their first day in the Oval Office.

So NO, Nutbag, I, unlike YOU, am entirely consistent on the issue, and thus, I, unlike YOU, am NOT a “hypocrite” on the issue.

In addition, I, unlike YOU, am NOT an Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi Leftist Nutbag!

Read ‘er and weep!

Dale in Atlanta on May 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM

while McCain was a POW- Daddy was commander of the Pacific fleet.

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

And as a result drew lots and lots of unwanted attention from the NV. They tried to get him to make lots of propaganda. They even tried to send him home early as a big propaganda show of how kind and generous they were. But McCain kept the faith and refused to leave his brothers.

BadgerHawk on May 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Could care less!

Dale in Atlanta on May 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM

That means you care.

BadgerHawk on May 21, 2008 at 1:09 PM

That means you care.

BadgerHawk on May 21, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Touche!

jim m NUTBAG: I DON’T CARE!

How’s that BadgerHawk?

Dale in Atlanta on May 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM

highhopes on May 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM

…and the last president to be “self-made” was Clinton?
The fact of life is, success often runs in families. success breeds success.
Carnegie, Marriot, Johnson, Kennedy, Rockefeller, Bush, Gore, Romney, it goes on and on.
It is not unusual for the greatest generation, to give birth to some of the great leaders.

right2bright on May 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM

oldelpasoan on May 21, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I’m no supporter of John McCain, but I agree with you 100%.
What has BHO done, in any case?
His resume is crap for the position that he seeks.
btw – how old an El Pasoan are you? My little girl’s 5th generation.

TexasJew on May 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Obama has ALWAYS used the same route to winning an election: FABRICATE AND PUBLICIZE CRAP ON THE OPPONENT. Obama, again, proves WHO NEEDS TO CHANGE; Mr. Audacious, heal thyself.

maverick muse on May 22, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Ack! I can’t believe I missed seeing this while it was new! But, despite being late to the party, I’ll still chime in.

I had Bill Gillespie as a professor of military history. He told us, often, that he was a quartermaster and had been given orders to make sure lots of American flags were available for parades after the initial invasion of Iraq. It was his example of why the war in Iraq was doomed to fail, and he liked telling it. At some point during his service, his knees went bad – no mention of war wounds, just that he had bad knees. He bragged to the class about how this qualified him for a bigger pension from the military and how he’d get enough he wouldn’t have to work.

Not that working as a professor of history was an option past the one term in which I took his class, because he was spectacularly bad at it. He continually got his facts wrong, and showed movies like The Patriot and Gettysburg and swore they were accurate portrayals of what the wars were like. Talking to a room full of history majors, he tried to say that the only cause for the Civil War was slavery, and ended the argument by saying that he was the one grading the papers, so his opinion was the one that counted. He saw no conflict between calling it “The War of Southern Secession” and saying that southerners were prejudiced idiots for calling it “The War of Northern Aggression”.

All in all, my impression of him was of a good-natured buffoon, an opinion which was confirmed when I saw the news article in the local paper that he was going to run against Jack “Representative for as Long as He Wants to Be” Kingston. It just amazes me that such a little local tool gets to be national news just by having a big mouth and once again being hypocritical and getting the facts wrong.

Mynuet on May 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Mynuet on May 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I’m glad I checked in before it was gone. I love these first hand experiences.
thanks