Obama: Let’s eat less so that we can lead by example on climate change

posted at 6:47 pm on May 19, 2008 by Allahpundit

A winning campaign slogan if ever there was one: You’re going on a diet.

Pitching his message to Oregon’s environmentally-conscious voters, Obama called on the United States to “lead by example” on global warming, and develop new technologies at home which could be exported to developing countries.

“We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times … and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK,” Obama said.

“That’s not leadership. That’s not going to happen,” he added.

Silky tried a much milder version of this idea last summer and had to reverse course within 48 hours. Let’s see if the Messiah holds fast or if this too goes the way of the bare, noble, dissenting jacket lapel. The science is on his side, people. Exit question: For all the criticism the left levels at hubristic conservatives for overestimating American power, does this tool really think China’s going to deny itself luxuries that are now available thanks to its new wealth in a show of admiration for moronic Americans dieting to save the polar bears or sweltering in apartments with the A/C off to reduce emissions? Al Gore may think that, but Gore doesn’t actually have to lead, thank god.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

WIN buttons

That was Ford’s administration. Unfortunately.

Andy in Agoura Hills on May 19, 2008 at 8:14 PM

JonRoss on May 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I choked on my triple Whopper (with bacon) when I read that one.

Buford Gooch on May 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Of course if we eat less as the Messiah wishes, we would also only have to use two squares of toilet tissue per sitting per month…..because that is all the Messiah would allow

geminicontender on May 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times … and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK — Barack Hussain Obama

You sir are a hard core socialist and proud of it. My guess is that Karl Marx and Chairman Mao are applauding you in hell.

Maxx on May 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM

You’re running to be president of the US and you think that this involves telling me how much to eat? Please don’t ever accuse anyone else of bring up distractions because you should be using the time and energy to clean up your own act.

As soon as I read this post I went over to Obama website and sent the above message.
Among the possible topics to chech off was, “Send a message to Michelle Obama” It failed to list the subjectts she discusses in public that Americans have been forbidden to address. Next time I’m over there I should suggest they add a tool bar to help the helpless.

snaggletoothie on May 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM

WIN buttons

That was Ford’s administration. Unfortunately.

Andy in Agoura Hills on May 19, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Whip Inflation Now. Turn them over and you get:
No Instant Miracles. Weren’t the 1970s fun!

Mallard T. Drake on May 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Didn’t Michelle Obama tells us that Obama was going to make us rise up and go get a job or something. Maybe he is going to inspire us to go jogging and pass on seconds.

After reading his statement, I am inspired to go eat a big juice porterhouse steak, and throw half of it away. ;-)

Mallard T. Drake on May 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM

You know……….. this statement reminded me of one of the first things that Newt and the boys did when the Republicans still had a pair and took control of the House back in ’94.

They passed a law that made all the laws that Congress passed applicable to themselves.

That’s right, before that, all the regulation and red tape only applied to us, and not the elite.

The shock! The horror!

You see the liberal Hollywood elite, AlGore, etc., jet setting all over the globe telling us what we have to do.

I say, Mr. Obama, why don’t you lead by example before you even entertain the thought that you know what is best for me and my family, and how I live my life.

And while your at it, I sure would like to hear you say, just once, the Pledge of Allegiance.

Seven Percent Solution on May 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Anybody read this today?

surrounded on May 19, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Surrounded, a home run!

“Some of the environmental lobbyists of the Western nations are the salt of the earth, but many of them are elitists. They’ve never experienced the physical sensation of hunger. They do their lobbying from comfortable office suites in Washington or Brussels. If they lived just one month amid the misery of the developing world, as I have for fifty years, they’d be crying out for tractors and fertilizer and irrigation canals and be outraged that fashionable elitists back home were trying to deny them these things.”

Seven Percent Solution on May 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM

“We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times”

Who’s gonna stop me, Obambi?

Not you sissy-boy.

fogw on May 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Maybe he said “heat as much” instead of “eat as much.”

It’s just too nutty the other way. Oooh…nutty…now I’m hungry again. Time for a PB&J snack!

PattyJ on May 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Obama….bringing the Zimbabwe “miracle” home!

What we need for Gaia is a good famine!

funky chicken on May 19, 2008 at 9:51 PM

If we enforced the border, the price of arugula would become prohibitive and so we would eat less, right?

So what do you say BO?

SPCOlympics on May 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM

There he goes telling us what were gonna do again…just like Michelle O did a while ago.

No NObama! We don’t have to listen to you. You’re not the boss of us.

Domino on May 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Won’t be long until Harrison Bergeron gets cued into the picture…

Send_Me on May 19, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Obama….bringing the Zimbabwe “miracle” home!

Bingo.

Chairman Obama.

I imagine using that title will be called racist.

SteveMG on May 19, 2008 at 10:31 PM

tool

Please remove this word from your online vocabulary, harumph harumph.

Jim Treacher on May 19, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Don’t you just love how these idiots think we can create new technology at will. All we have to do is throw money at it and we can create it. Right! They always talk about the Manhattan Project and the moon shot. But they never mention that these things were grounded in theory and scientific paradigm. No one knows of any non-fossil fuel that we can pump into our tanks at this time. And before you say hydrogen, remember that hydrogen has to be released from something so that it can be used as fuel. The most common source of hydrogen fuel is not water; it’s natural gas. We need research, but we also need to drill and refine our own petroleum. These idiot enviros have held up drilling of new American oil fields for three decades. Now, we are all paying the price. If we listen to them on this Global Warming BS, we’ll all be riding horses by 2150. Screw them all!

fleiter on May 19, 2008 at 10:57 PM

so if you cut back on red meat.. but eat more beans..

is that a gain or a loss in terms of greenhouse gases..

DaveC on May 19, 2008 at 11:00 PM

No, what he really means here is what libs always mean,, all of US do with less. Not them!
We need to do with less food, less money, lees control of our children, less private property, less health care, less gas,,,, less of everything.
They on the other hand will get more. More of our money,, more of the food we grow, more of the commodities we make, more of our property, and of course, more of the power for themselves.
Absolute power over everything we do or think. That is the goal.

JellyToast on May 19, 2008 at 11:29 PM

What’s Barack Hussein’s million dollar mansion heated to in the winter?

ToddonCapeCod on May 19, 2008 at 11:45 PM

What a fucking idiot this guy is. I’m sorry, but that’s really the bottom line.

Time for a PB&J snack!

PattyJ on May 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM

On a brighter and less profane note, I’m going to bake the last of this batch of chocolate drop w/ pecan cookies. I love that; they’re so perky.

Jaibones on May 19, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Why are our freedoms dictated by what other countries want?

Hey Obama.. STFU.

Chakra Hammer on May 19, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Even if the statement was “heat as much as we want,” so what. Why can’t I heat my house AS MUCH AS I WANT? Will there be a federal agency that checks my bedroom to see that it’s at a temperature that has Obama’s approval? And why exactly do foreign rulers have a say in what I do? Do I have a say in what they do? Many of Obama’s statements reveal a lack of comprehension of such basic American concepts as liberty and individual rights, which is scary in someone trying to be president.

Fred 2 on May 20, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Please keep saying this stuff, Obama. Louder, clearer. At some point it’s going to sink into the HopeNChange crowd’s heads that he wants them, personally, to be hungry and sweat all summer in their own homes so that people in Africa won’t feel jealous of us anymore. I can’t imagine that spoiled Americans — even sanctimonious liberal ones — will be too keen about that. They’ll use CFC lightbulbs and recycle their water bottles so they can feel good, but they aren’t likely to turn off their AC’s in triple digits or give up their Sunday morning crullers ’cause Barry says third worlders don’t like it when they eat as much as they want.

Hey, let’s be completely fair to the rest of the world and let our children’s bellies bulge from malnutrition while flies buzz around their mouths. Would the rest of the world finally say we’re OK then?

Instead of proposing ideas that might help other countries rise to our standard of living, Obama wants to lower ours so we don’t look greedy or self-indulgent to the rest of the world. (Like Somalians wouldn’t indulge the hell out of themselves if they could.) That’s like developing a cure for one type of cancer but refusing to use it because it wouldn’t be fair to the sufferers of all the other types of cancer. Liberals are so short-sighted it’s scary.

aero on May 20, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we…

…may have a Dhimmicrat in the White House.

Mojave Mark on May 20, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Ladies and gentlemen – I give you the politician who wants to turn over decisions about how much you eat, what you drive and what temperature your living room is to a consensus of non-citizens.

Go to Hell, Obama, you self-important, deficient little man.

And the schmuck has the gall to call himself a constitutional lawyer.

Words cannot express the contempt in which I hold this fool.

Merovign on May 20, 2008 at 2:03 AM

I’m sorry, but I’m an American, and I really don’t care what Europeans think of our views on climate change. Prsuit of Happiness is an inalienable right. If that means an icebox of my house in the summer, a giant gas guzzler in my driveway, and a fridge full of food, then that’s me pursuing happiness.

At least just out and say it’s in the name of Socialism and Equality of Outcome. Don’t lie and say it’s in the name of something as stupid as “manmade climate change.”

Spc Steve on May 20, 2008 at 2:38 AM

Obama’s statement makes sense, if you wish for the United States to become the largest country in Europe.

blueguitarbob on May 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM

Nonsense is music to the ears of the Left, rational leadership a thing to be feared. We keep making the mistake that the people who would consider voting for an Obama are somehow concerned about actual progress, peace and prosperity. They are surely not.

Halley on May 20, 2008 at 7:36 AM

After the election Oprah will be put in charge of the National diet plan. Calorie meters will be implanted in all overweight citizens who, until they get within the norms, will have to do mandatory community service in the Imam Farrakhan re-education camps.

Annar on May 20, 2008 at 7:48 AM

I have a garden. I drive a small car. I supplement my heat with wood heat. If that ain’t good enough for the world, everyone will just have to kiss my okie ass.
Terrye on May 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I’m sorry. Burning wood causes smoke, and that’s pollution. You’ll have to get rid of the wood stove and put on another sweater.

/Obambi and the Enviro-cops

MrLynn on May 20, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Just because Obama, doesn’t eat pork product, doesn’t mean I don’t want my pork rinds. Wait, hold that thought.. I want Polar Bear and Blue Whale rinds with caribou and seal oil dipping mix!
upinak on May 19, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Barack Hussein Obama doesn’t eat pork?

It’s not likely he’s Jewish, so what then?

MrLynn on May 20, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Well, if things don’t go well for the ailing Senator from Mass I am claiming his share here and now.
JonRoss on May 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Will Chivas be allowed under the Obambi regime?

MrLynn on May 20, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Hey Chairman Mao, er, I mean Obama, I keep my thermostat set on 68 in the winter, and I don’t turn on the AC until we break into the triple digits (which usually happens in May). I keep the AC set at 81 during the summer, not because I’m concerned about what the rest of the world thinks, but just because that’s where I like it.

If Obama and his ilk are so concerned about the rest of the world, why don’t they stop passing those stupid ethanol subsidies which are driving up the cost of food all over the globe? And didn’t I read somewhere that Al Gore’s electric bills for his super-huge house average over $3,000 per month? My electric bill last month was $30. But you know what, Obama, that’s okay. I’m not looking for the government to force the Gores to give me some of their “pie” to even things up. Here in America, we believe in a thing called personal choice.

AZCoyote on May 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM

OK Michelle Obama, Whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside YOUR trunk?

Bicyea on May 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM

“Ma’ma, we have a warrant to check the thermostat and look for donuts at this address. Please step aside.”

Akzed on May 20, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Mallard T. Drake on May 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Reading this, images come to mind of all the workers in Red China in the 70′s who all marched around dressed alike and carrying political posters and Mao’s Little Red Book. I can see it happening here.
You see, Mallard, we have to give up certain things for the common good. It’s our duty.

abcurtis on May 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Stalin was able to starve millions of Russians by controlling the megafarms. Since most of our agriculture is centralized these days, it’s possible Obama could do the same thing to us if we let him. Anything can be controlled through over regulation. What if the Dept. of Agriculture and the FDA started regulating food the way the ATF regulates guns? We’d be in a world of hurt.

Don’t think it can’t happen.

fossten on May 20, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Re my post at 8:17, Obambi has been seen to eat pork:

Obambi tastes $100 Spanish ham from wild pig

After the Christians re-conquered Spain, pork was used as a test to detect remaining Moslems, who were then expelled or killed.

Which is not to say that Obambi could not be a Manchurian Candidate, a Moslem in mufti, as it were. The fanatical Islamists who murdered 3,000 Americans on September 11th were drinking alcohol before they perpetrated their evil deeds. But I suspect Obambi is not smart enough to play a cloak-and-dagger role. He is simply Jimmy Carter in blackface.

MrLynn on May 20, 2008 at 9:56 AM

To quote s’aint Obama “they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them”. Guess we need to cling to our forks and fridges too. Welcome to the new Stalinist Russia with the “command” economy of Obama.

PatriotPete on May 20, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Good lord!

This jackass is so very, very dangerous.

rplat on May 20, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Obama – MYOB, you Stalinist doof

Think_b4_speaking on May 20, 2008 at 10:16 AM

So Obama is running on a “screw America” ticket:

Less food, but at 4 times the present cost.

Less energy, again at 4 times the present cost.

No air conditioning, less heating.

Less transportation.

No wood, no oil, no coal, no plastics: the nation will have to revert to chiseling goods out of rock using hand tools.

High taxes.

No borders, and invaders get free services paid by your taxes.

Sounds like (Carter)^3!! When will the media ask Obama what the target three-digit “Misery Index” would be for his administration (or maybe you’d need four digits).

landlines on May 20, 2008 at 10:54 AM

So I just had a wonderful breakfast, with hash browns and musk ox and caribou morning gravy and a moose breakfast sausage. Which all of these animals were fed via the global warming trends.

Should I stop eating because numb knuts wants to eat tree bark?

I say we put Obamessiah to the test. If he wants to slow down the tide of eating, he should be dropped into a forest somewhere (unknown to him or the public) and live on the land, with ONLY a leatherman. Who would bet he would become so dehydrated in the first 3 days, that he would NEVER say that again.

upinak on May 20, 2008 at 11:31 AM

musk ox? that doesn’t sound very tasty. were you kidding?

funky chicken on May 20, 2008 at 11:50 AM

musk ox? that doesn’t sound very tasty. were you kidding?

funky chicken on May 20, 2008 at 11:50 AM

No. it is kinda of like a tougher buffalo. But very good and not gamey tasting.

I could have said bear.. but honestly bear is freaking gross. Very greasy and depending on what they eat can taste like fish or berries or other things… VERY odd.

upinak on May 20, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I will never accept anybody telling me what to eat; what to drive; or, how comfortable I should be. Neither do I care what other countries think of my behavior. If I want a nanny government to control my life I’ll move to Cuba or China or Iran or North Korea. This nonsense by Obama is just about the dumbest thing I’ve heard in this decade.

rplat on May 20, 2008 at 12:39 PM

The elite ride around in limos so they have no idea how much gas costs because it’s the chauffeur’s problem. Their chefs and minions shop for and prepare their meals so the elite haven’t a clue what has happened to food prices. When it starts getting cold in the north, they head for Palm Beach. Their managers and accountants pay the bills, the elite never see them. How are they to know? We must understand their ignorance.

swampy on May 20, 2008 at 1:48 PM

So, basically, when someone says that McCain is like Bush’s third term, the proper response is, “Yes, but Obama is like Jimmy Carter’s second term – which do you think would be worse?”

Think_b4_speaking on May 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Amazingly, this two-legged joke has actually made a point. It is indeed very hypocritical to rail about the evils of consumption while we live the plushest lifestyle the world has ever seen.

Unfortunately the alternative that the ‘messiah’ would use will lead straight to nanny-statism and privacy invasions of the worst order, along with shredding the Constitution and shutting up dissent by legal bully-boy tactics. (‘Fairness Doctrine’ my @$$.)

As my father once said “the file’s good – it’s the computer that’s all screwed up!”

Dark-Star on May 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Great!!! Now a politician wants to tell us what we can eat??

This is Big Brother on steroids!!!

Next he’ll want to dictate that the only acceptable dress for all occasions is burkhas or Mao pajamas.

Obama needs to emigrate to Cuba: they’ll be looking for a new dictator soon, and we don’t need that talent here.

landlines on May 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Here’s a group (liberal elites) that think the Patriot Act is a spawn of Satan’s loins for it’s Government intrusion, yet they stand and cheer when Comrade Obambi endorses the same tactics.

Fabulous…

Wyznowski on May 20, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Give me my sammich or give me death!

Mormon Doc on May 20, 2008 at 6:56 PM

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!.

TroubledMonkey on May 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Obama has been given a ‘Native American’ name by an obscure tribe (whose chief is probably Wildeyes Ward Churchill).

He shall now be known as:

Roosting With Chickens.

Synthetic feather bonnet sold separately.

profitsbeard on May 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Wonderful. Let’s have a lottery to determine who is going to starve, just to set a good example for the world. Or maybe the Democrat Star Chamber can decide who should die of AIDS, just to be fair, just to keep the world from being upset with us.

drjohn on May 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Overweight people don’t influence the climate. Overweight people influence Continental Drift! That’s right, ladies and gentlemen there is a link between obesity and the shifting of the tectonic plates which lead to earthquakes, volcanoes and ultimately to tsunamis! All those fat people pounding around on our earth has to have some detremental effects. It just HAS to.

Let our motto be:
Remember! Only you can prevent man-made Continental Drift !

kurtzz3 on May 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM