Audio: Did Olby call U.S. troops “cold-blooded killers”?

posted at 12:03 pm on May 19, 2008 by Allahpundit

That was the talk radio meme du jour on Friday, pegging off last week’s lyrical “shut. the hell. up!” communique from Murrowland. The money passage, via MSNBC’s transcript:

The president replied: “Doomsday scenario of course is that extremists throughout the Middle East would be emboldened, which would eventually lead to another attack on the United States. The biggest issue we face is, it’s bigger than Iraq, it’s this ideological struggle against cold-blooded killers who will kill people to achieve their political objectives.”

Mr. Bush, at long last, has it not dawned on you that the America you have now created, includes “cold-blooded killers who will kill people to achieve their political objectives?” They are those in — or formerly in — your employ, who may yet be charged some day with war crimes.

Ingraham and Mark Levin claim that’s aimed at U.S. troops; I disagree, for the simple reason that our man lacks the stones to slaughter a cow that sacred. Remember, we’re talking here about someone who, for all his supposed Beale-esque outrage, won’t even have Republicans on his show to confront them directly. He isn’t going to be the first “mainstream” lefty to shatter the welcome post-Vietnam taboo against blaming an unpopular war on the soldiers who wage it. You’ll hear our old pal Bryan Preston interject during the Ingraham segment that Murtha’s used precisely this type of language vis-a-vis Haditha, which is true, but that’s more of an isolated case than what Olby’s after here. He means Rumsfeld and Cheney and the rest of the neocon cabal who planned the war he so despises, all of whom are politically safe to criticize and thus qualify as “cold-blooded killers” while the all-volunteer army that carries out their plans is absolved, presumably on some updated, modern-day “just following orders” grounds. Or am I giving him too much credit, and he really does mean to indict the U.S. military as a pack of murderers? You make the call! Click the image to watch.

olby-cbk.jpg

Comments

I originally thought the loon was referring to contractors such as Blackwater, however I never give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hilts on May 19, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Olberman… stoneless.

Sugar Land on May 19, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Or am I giving him too much credit

Any credit, even bad credit is too much credit…that man is overdrawn in every area of credit…

right2bright on May 19, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Nah. Olbermann is a clown but I’m sure he meant Rumsfeld or Rice or Cheney or whoever. Standard liberal crap, nothing to see here.

Dash on May 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM

It’s hard to say. Things like basic sentence structure and logic all take a back row to his frothing outrage. His message is secondary to his ego-driven need to be seen as more outraged than anyone else about the Bush administration.

Slublog on May 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM

He means Rumsfeld and Cheney and the rest of the neocon cabal…

I agree. Moonbats constantly insist the Bush Administration will one day be charged with war crimes.

amerpundit on May 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM

He just vomits stuff out of his mouth and decides what he means by it later. I tried to listen to him a long time ago, and found it a total waste of my time.

Buford Gooch on May 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I agree that Olby does not have the stones to attack the troops directly however let Levin and Laura have at him because he is always twisting words from anything conservative.

RobCon on May 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Initially, I thought he was referring to the Neocons, but after hearing it again a few times, I’m pretty sure this is just incoherent drivel aimed at BushCo in general.

WisCon on May 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Yes. But as a Vietnam Era vet, I’m kinda sensitive to that stuff.

I think you might have crashed olby.com–it won’t load for me.

davidk on May 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM

He was deliberately ambiguous so he could rip the military while hiding under the umbrella of attacking Bush’s cabinet if anyone called him on it.

Tacitus on May 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Sounds like he means Rummy and Condi. What a moron. How ’bout ‘warm-blooded liberators’? I’d lke to see him go to Iraq and tell people “On behalf of all leftist morons, I apologize for America taking your beloved Ba’athist party rule away from you.”

Tony737 on May 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I don’t know. I have a hard time believing that he would attribute political objectives to soldiers.

I wouldn’t be surprised at the “cold-blooded killer” comment, but not when it’s paired with political objectives. They’re not acting of their own accord.

Esthier on May 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Click the image to watch.

No thanks. I’m about to eat lunch.

shick on May 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Try as I might, I just can’t get myself to care that much about whatever Olby says. The man is a turd and a parody unto himself.

JohnAGJ on May 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I can’t watch that guy he literally makes me ill. But I can only hope that one day the veins in his face are strung up so tight while he spews this garbage and hatred that one by one they snap like guitar springs, revealing the true monster that he is.

scalleywag on May 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM

He rambles on in such an incoherent manner, that way nobody knows what he’s talking about, but the moonbats will think he’s brilliant.

I think he could have meant Hillary Clinton.

kirkill on May 19, 2008 at 12:20 PM

At the very least, Allah, make him identify the “cold-blooded killers”. Are they soldiers following orders? Contractors protecting contractors? What, who, when, where and how?

Make that a query in headlines for a few days. Sic O’Reilly on it.

eaglesdontflock on May 19, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Ted Kennedy I would hope recovery for. This guy, I dunno.

Ted Kennedy does work as a US Senator. I may not agree with his decisions, but that goes for a lot of them, and the argument could be made that he is doing what he thinks is best for the country.

According to Mark Levin, there’s evidence that this guy doesn’t believe a word of what he says, which means he’s being insulting for the sake of attention. I could frankly give a crap if he lives or dies. Stuff like this just makes me less sympathetic every day about his eventual karma.

MadisonConservative on May 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I think he’d be referring to generals or high ranking military brass.

AbaddonsReign on May 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM

If the day comes when Robespierre delivers one of these ‘war criminals’ to the Hague the people will go nuts, on both sides of the issue. The left believes we on the right are reactionary about illegal immigration. Wait til they see the reaction when the World Court starts putting Americans in orange jump suits. I’m not advocating anything, just pondering the consequences.

Limerick on May 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM

He’s indicting the administration for being “cold-blooded killers” but refuses to indight the (literal) foot-soldiers who do the “cold-blooded” killing?

That’s like indicting Vito Corleone but saying that Luca Brasi bears no guilt.

29Victor on May 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Olby: Traitor, Treasonous, Coward, Moron, Dishonest, Marxist, Appeaser, Dhimmi, Liar,…

Bored now. Next!

Gartrip on May 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Strange times. Olbermann brings down Immelt and GE– GE, one of America’s crown jewels, and he’s allowed to. Liberals truly are insane.

JiangxiDad on May 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Allah, you must have an thing for “O” , as far as I’m concerned you give Obama and Olby far too much credit!

dmann on May 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Tacitus on May 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

That was also my impression, though I doubt he has the intelligence to create deliberate ambiguity. He’s total slime.

zeebeach on May 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Fire Olby from Sunday Night Football! Please. I would hope Olby only meant to include the Bush Administration in his accusations. The only problem with that is that the Troops are the one’s who carry out the responsiblility for the actual death of our enemies. By using the word kill he seems to make the accusations reach the full scope of the mission, and that includes our brave soldiers on the battlefield. I would say shame on Krazy Keith, but he has no shame. God bless our troops, and their mission.

chief on May 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

He obviously didn’t mean the soldiers. How many soldiers do you know who have “political objectives” that are furthered by killing ?

Mark Jaquith on May 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

You make the call!

Allah

Too late; you already made the right one. Olby’s a gutless fairy, and he’s railing against his favorite demons: Rumsfeld, Cheney, the DoJ guys.

Jaibones on May 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Presumably they’re carrying out the evil neocons’ political objectives. But I agree, he’s not talking about the soldiers. Note the reference to “former” employees. It’s a clear reference to Rumsfeld.

Allahpundit on May 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Mark Jaquith on May 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Maybe so, but by the same token, Rumsfeld doesn’t do the killing himself. Mushy wording from a dick.

JiangxiDad on May 19, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I don’t think that the idiot should be able to get away with nameless accusations. If the bastard thinks that somebody is a cold-blooded-killer soon to be tried for war crimes he needs to name names or shut the f**k up.

My guess is that he’s talking about Rove, Cheney, and all the rest of the gang who “mislead” us into war rather than the troops themselves. Olby is too much of a partisan DC insider to even care about the troops, let alone accuse them of independent action.

After all, in the minds of liberals (both Dems and McCain supporters) the troops are just poor ignorant bastards who joined the military as an employer of last resort. They may make all the right noises about supporting the troops (especially McCain supporters) but the reality is that they have nothing but contempt for the men and women who defend this country. The needs of the troops are nothing but a political football used to further pork projects, liberal ideology, or as a cudgel against the current administration. For example, McCain’s irrational vendetta against Donald Rumsfeld was a disgraceful example of his inability to really support the troops if it gets in the way of an agenda that has more to do with procurement of hardware than the well-being of troops in combat.

highhopes on May 19, 2008 at 1:06 PM

AP: If he meant Cheney and Rumsfeld, then I don’t think he would have hesitated to name them specifically. He intentionally left it open to our imaginations to avoid being specific. He implied that the troops were cold-blooded killers (too). Or, to put it another way, whatever seems worst to the imagination (in his audience). Count on it.

Bacchus on May 19, 2008 at 1:07 PM

It’s a clear reference to Rumsfeld.

Allahpundit on May 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM

In all liklihood, but there ARE others as well.

My collie says:

I think he was talking about Karl Rove.

CyberCipher on May 19, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Keith Olbermann does nothing but raise my blood pressure every time I try to listen to the guy. I never thought I would ever see someone who could be so darn right unlikable in virtually all categories, but then along came this yoohoo. Why they even give this guy airtime to blather his rants in a mystery to me. There is not one he has to say that I could give a hoot about.

pilamaye on May 19, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Given that raging Liberal like Olberman don’t know how the military works, he probably thinks that political indoctrination is part of basic and that each company has at least one political commissar.

SPCOlympics on May 19, 2008 at 1:28 PM

He was referring to our military personnel and he should be terminated.

azcop on May 19, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I think Olby’s referring to the whole lot of ‘em. Bush, his Sec’s and advisors, as well as all the servicemembers and contractors. Why is it so much of a stretch to think that this is what Olberman intended when many (if not most) of the DailyKos, MoveOn, Dem. Underground, HuffingtonPost, etc. readers (also his viewership) DO blame the soldiers themselves?!?

davenp35 on May 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM

For a Murrow-like stature the left claims he is, he lacks the ability to construct a sentence to give it a clear meaning. He is seeking attention and will go through any lengths to get it. If it means demeaning the troops, he would do so. That man lacks morals and class. Even if he is talking about the Bush administration, he is leaving the door open for any kind of conclusion to his statements. That guy is a disgrace. Doesn’t GE have enough bad press with their dealings with Iran?

jencab on May 19, 2008 at 1:47 PM

The failed, ESPN jock-sniffer has a psychiatric problem. I keep waiting for his head to explode; which, of course, would constitute littering, if done on a public road, sidewalk or other venue.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM

He’s not talking about the troops. That’s not giving him too much credit; that’s understanding that Olberman is a coward. If he had the courage of his convictions, he’d call them all baby-killing death bots. That’s the clear implication of his argument vis-a-vis Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz et al., the objects of his hatred.

spmat on May 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Yeah, he’s of the type that believe the troops waddle around dragging their knuckles saying “Me SOLDIER. Me KILL!!” In other words, he thinks the soldiers are too stupid to be held accountable.

crazy_legs on May 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Just had lunch with my daughter so to avoid regurgitating on my iMac, I will forgo playing the clip. Suffice to say with someone like Olbermann, one’s expectations can NEVER be set low enough. He has to look up to spot the bottom-feeders.

oldleprechaun on May 19, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Tacitus on May 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

funky chicken on May 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM

The key to all of this is in his statements just prior to this . The Pres. refered to al-q. foot soldiers, the atrocities that they have carried out and their pol. objectives. He used that statement to finish his to tie together his thoughts and imply either the mil. or more broadly the American people. The war crime statment was a complelely new sentence. At any rate it is time to GO.

mjkazee on May 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM

I’m thinking members of the administration and, perhaps, Blackwater. Of course, then again, it is Obly we’re talkin’ ’bout here.

Kafir on May 19, 2008 at 2:24 PM

highhopes said:

Wow, so the vast majority of active duty military officers who are supporting McCain are just self-loathing idiots?

Gee highhopes, your message of love for the troops is just almost as refreshing as the one carried by KO.

funky chicken on May 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Click the image to watch.

I’ll pass.

Typhoon on May 19, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I prefer reruns of Baghdad Bob…

Viper1 on May 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I’ll quote Cindy…

and I see your true colors shining through…

Kaptain Amerika on May 19, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I don’t know who Olbermann’s talking about if not the troops on the ground. The Vice President shot at a lawyer once, but didn’t seem to have his heart in it, because he used the wrong ammo.

RBMN on May 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM

***NEWSFLASH!!!***
“Pretend” commentator on some cute lil’ cable channel has Richter Scale 7 hissyfit and moistens panties.

whitetop on May 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM

You know my biggest wish is to get this goon off the air. But, in the spirit of free speech, I never hope he gets fired for his free speech that is guaranteed by the constitution. That leaves several options…1) people stop watching him 2) he does something so scandalous that NBC fires him.

1) it’s not going to happen. I have seen his viewership go from the 100,000 to close to 900,000 last January. The rabid left enjoy it.

2) this is most likely. the guy is a ticking time bomb, bat guano spewing with rabies. As Mark Levin says, hung like a tack.

Sergei on May 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM

It used to be racist Republican Isloationists like Robert A. Taft who decried the Nuremburg principles. Now its Race-baiting isolationist Democrats who do.

Jimmy the Dhimmi on May 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Olby and his ilk all hold deep seated hate and animosity against the military because they are an extension of the Bush administration administering the White House policy. Ergo, the “Freudian slip” ain’t really all that subconscious for this dolt…

Wyznowski on May 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I think you are right, Allah. Uberman was not directly referring to the troops. I watched some of the video last week – as much as I could stomach – and his words parse to political not military troops. Not that I’m excusing him; just trying to keep us from falling off the same cliff.
Randy

williars on May 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Question: What percentage of the voting public watches this guy?
Question 2: Any idea if they buy his message?

Ares on May 19, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Well, let’s see:

He spews the left’s crazy allegations, but

won’t even have Republicans on his show to confront them directly.

I agree with Tacitus in that:

Tacitus on May 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

It’s the classic modern-day liberal approach. If they could outwardly express their disdain for the troops, without getting ripped for it, they would. They know that doing so would seriously put them at risk of losing elections. They have somewhat learned from their previous mistakes, and now only blame “Bushco”. However, every so often, we are reminded of what they really think when someone like Kerry, Murtha or Durbin torques off about the troops directly.

Rick on May 19, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Olby’s an ass, and always will be. So who cares what he says or doesn’t say?

mojo on May 19, 2008 at 3:09 PM

He’s being intentionally vague enough for deniability. Whatever is the worst possible meaning is probably what he intended.

TBinSTL on May 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM

It’s obvious that Olby is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. He and others like him have been terrorized by Bush. Good job, George!

Travis1 on May 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM

On the bright side, Olby only has about 11 viewers.

AlanC on May 19, 2008 at 3:56 PM

If there was any justice, Clinton would also be in that boat along with his ilk

Westley (The mad bomber of Bosnia) Clark
Madelin Albright

What they did to Kosovo and Bosnia is criminal.

They never will seeing all the usefull idiots who decry war on all fronts refuse to even acknowledge that Kosovo ever happened. Even when they do, they simply excuse it by saying that Clinton meant well.

RobertInAustin on May 19, 2008 at 4:06 PM

As a matter of fact, some of them probably are. But your premise is completely faulty. I don’t see the kind of support for McCain that GWB has had the last two elections. I’d love to know how you came to the conclusion that the “vast majority” of officers are supporting McCain.

On balance the vast majority of military officers would probably prefer a Republican administration to a Democrat one because history proves that Democrats are untrustworthy when it comes to committing troops and then supporting them BUT that falls far short of your absurd comments.

highhopes on May 19, 2008 at 4:10 PM

It’s obvious that Olby is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

What can we do to help with that “little extra” push?

highhopes on May 19, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I would prefer that you, HotAir, never again post/share/comment on anything this despicable excuse for a human being says or does. Listening to or being told about the rantings of a lunatic is a complete waste of time. He should be shunned and ignored.

He is the epitome of a troll, saying anything and everything he can to raise the hackles of those unfortunate enough to be in ear-shot of his hate-filled bile.

This is my last comment on this turd and the last time I will click on any link here or anywhere that has anything to do with this sick clown. Doing so is like opening the lid a cesspool and gazing into the fetid stench below. The jerk makes me gag and I am sick to death of him.

Rod on May 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Edward M. Asshole sure does miss the point more and more these days. He’s making it so even the Obamiacs over at MSNBC aren’t going to be able to back him.

Lets hope one day I can have a nice debate with him in NYC, infront of the recruiting center here in Times Square, see what Bathtub boy has to say then.

Rbastid on May 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I concur with AP on this one.

awake on May 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM

It’s obvious that Olby is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

What can we do to help with that “little extra” push?
highhopes on May 19, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Obama loses to McCain.

wise_man on May 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM

agree with that post

funky chicken on May 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM

was an attack on the vice president, rumsfield. basically this is how the left feels about neocons in general. don’t think he meant the troops but I do think he mean the generals and JCOS.

unseen on May 19, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Don’t watch the video, read the TRANSCRIPT–it allows you to finish. After doing so, I believe this asswipe WAS referring to our military “And certainly, as if that were the plan, the inspiration for another generation of terrorists in another country was provided by your government’s farcicial post-invasion strategy of letting the societal infrastructure dissolve, to be replaced by an American viceroy, enforced by merciless MERCENARIES, WHO SHOOT UNARMED IRAQIS AND THEN EVADE PROSECUTION IN ANY COUNTRY BY HIDING BEHIND YOUR SKIRTS, SIR”. Read that, and then don’t be telling me it wasn’t aimed at our troops.

irongrampa on May 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Read the whole transcript–he was referring to our troops, no mistake.

irongrampa on May 19, 2008 at 7:09 PM

*puffed cheeks* When Olberman speaks watch out for the fecal matter that most people call spittle coming out of his blowhole!

*dramatically shifts to second camera* And what would Murrow say, SIR, to your stealing his signoff? Do you not have the intellect or the respect for your fellow newsman to think up your own signoff (if I could call you that, because you, SIR, are no newsman)?

*huffs once more and looks away from the camera* Good day and good riddance.

p40tiger on May 19, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Should have used the preview button :o

Gwillie on May 19, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Click the image to watch.
I’ll pass.

Typhoon on May 19, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Amen. Can’t. . . click. . . play. . .

I’d love to see a youtube video of this douchebag in some airport getting hoisted by the scruff of his neck, feet completely off of the ground, by a 6′ 40″ Marine, who says in a soft menacing voice, “Are you calling me a cold-blooded killer–sir?”

“Mmmph! Glug!” responds the Olby-bag.

“And from now on, it’s President Bush, understand? Or I’ll be seeing you again. Got it?”

“Murph! Glub!” goes the Douch-bermann.

“Don’t forget, I know where you work,” says the Marine, lowering the now purple-faced Olby-douche to the ground.

The Marine walks away, and Douchebybag says, to the surrounding crowd, after a decent interval, “Did you see that? He assaulted me! No, he tried to kill me in cold blood! The fascist! Isn’t someone going to call the police?”

A burly vet steps out of the crowd. “No, but I’d be happy to call you an ambulance.”

“But, um, I’m not hurt, not really.”

“Not hurt yet,” the vet says, “not yet.” He nails the Olber-hose’s shoe with a stream of Beechnut.

“But! But!” the Uber-douche splutters, and then, for the first time in years, he correctly analyzes an occurrence in the world most of us know as “reality”, and bolts down the concourse, completely forgetting about his luggage, screaming “Stupid Americans!! Stupid Americans!!” at the top of his voice.

Feel better now. And I didn’t even watch the video.

smellthecoffee on May 19, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Olby is a skank! Leaving ESPN was the absolute cave in of a human being. From a decent sports guy to a national disgrace. Further proof of liberal rabid decay! He would foam at the mouth if not for the make-up crew.

sMack on May 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Here’s the text to KO’s reply tonight, 5/19 @ around 9:55 PM, to the “red-meat” prepared by the hot air from the starboard side of the political spectrum. I would recommend the grape “koolaid” with today’s dinner.

Chimpy on May 19, 2008 at 11:45 PM

The screen caps you get of this guy are riotously funny.

baldilocks on May 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM

When this stupid idiot passes on to the next life, maybe MSNBC can bury the SOD on Easter Island. He’d blend in well with the other stoned characters.

byteshredder on May 20, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Olby needs to check himself into a 12 step program for sexual addition. Anyone who can masturbate nightly in front of thousands hundreds needs help. (As do the voyeurs).

moxie_neanderthal on May 20, 2008 at 9:02 AM