Tennessee GOP ad: Are you prouder of your country than Michelle Obama?

posted at 4:12 pm on May 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

Consider it a “welcome present” for her visit to Nashville. Risky business for the party or any of its arms to go after the opposition’s wife but they handled this the savviest way they could have, using only her own words against her and accentuating the positive via the witness testimonials instead of dwelling on her as negative. Even so, we’d better pick our spots with this sort of attack: There’s a reason the Democrats are farming out attacks on Cindy McCain as a sugar mommy to third-party groups instead of letting Obama’s camp handle them. Voters like to pretend there are certain lines an honorable candidate won’t cross.

Team Barry has already responded by doing what it does best, playing the victim and declaring this attack out of bounds even though it targets something she said while out on the trail.

Comments

Why respond to a troll like jim? The topic was not about McCain it is about what Michele Obama said and whether or not you are more proud of your country than she is. If anyone can take offense at that maybe they should STFU when it comes to expressing opinions about who would or would not make a good President. I can assure you B. Hussein is not on he list of qualified applicants. The Democrats have stuck themselves with a loser and will fight all the way to the end to prove it. Obama’s past speaks volumns and it is not something he can deny or call racist unless you consider him and his ilk racist. I do.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on May 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Tennessee GOP ad: Are you prouder of your country than Michelle Obama?

LOL!! Glad to see someone on our side has a pair…

Spanglemaker on May 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM

I’m not trying to feed him, I’m trying to make the case why he should be banned. There is a line, and I think he crossed it. I’ll let it rest now, since I don’t believe endless repetition makes a thing any more true. I said my piece, and that’s that. He should have been banned.

DocKen on May 15, 2008 at 5:20 PM

DocKen, sad to say jim m is far from alone in posting crap like that….I’ve responded to many other folks here at hotair who are still posting today

I wouldn’t expect to see a banning

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 5:28 PM

zelsdorf, you would just pass right by that kind of slander?

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM

jim m, you ignorant slut!!!

omnipotent on May 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

someone does need to respond to cretins like jim m, even though they still believe they are just being clever. They are 100% about Political Expediency, whether there’s truth or not. Just like Michelle Obama (and Barry), who this thread is SUPPOSED to be about.

kirkill on May 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

So I’ve been banned?

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I’m guilty of jumping too so I understand your ire at the sorry fella. Your comments about Johnny Mac help keep me centered on what is at stake in this election and as always you are offering well informed and researched opinions. Stark contrast to the short hair that made the comments which started this ruckus. It’s own words will get it the ax sooner or later.

Limerick on May 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM

So I’ve been banned?

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Yes Jim you’ve been banned.

Banning at Hot Air not only involves the retention of full posting privileges, but you will also receive an assorted sausage basket from Hickory Farms.

Chuck Schick on May 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Chuck LOL

Palate cleanser:

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM

No, Jim. You haven’t been banned. There are a few others here who share your mental disability and still continue to post occasionally.

Rod on May 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Oh, and yeah, I’m proud of my country, and proud of my military husband, even though I don’t live in a multimillion dollar mansion in a swanky neighborhood.

I didn’t even go to Princeton (parents couldn’t afford it) or Harvard. I was a National Merit Scholar and looked at MIT but ended up at the state U for all my education.

Should I be more bitter?

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 5:53 PM

I tried to copy and paste the Terms of Use and those posts were banned. Don’t ask me why. That’s why I thought I had been.

I’ll take the Hickory Farms sausages, though.

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Yes Jim you’ve been banned.

Chuck Schick on May 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM

HI LARRY OUSE!

Let me try…

Yes Jim, you’ve been banned. You are now required by Hot-Air and Federal Internet regulations to report to the nearest internet internment center where your banning will be processed.

Wise Golden on May 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

I thought Cindy McCain was a sugar trophy wife, not a sugar mommy, as she’s quite a bit younger than her septuagenarian husband.

McCain’s campaign slogan: I’ve been selling out the US for forty years since my public statements for the North Vietnamese.

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Another misinformed conspiracy theorist playing Republican dissing our candidate, a war hero.

Shameful.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Yeah, so shameful. Didn’t Kerry’s wife eventually release part of her tax returns? So what are Cindy and John hiding?

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 6:10 PM

John AND Cindy McCain are GREAT Americans. It’s too bad he’s been a lousy Senator, but not half as lousy as Barry Hussein Obama.

kirkill on May 15, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Attacking Michelle Obama does not help her put fresh fruit at her children’s table, pay for their ballet lessons, or pay off her student loans.

Buy Danish on May 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Didn’t Kerry’s wife eventually release part of her tax returns?

Have you ever told the COMPLETE TRUTH?

kirkill on May 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

What’s your point, kirkill? I can find news articles saying that Kerry’s wife did release part of her tax returns.

Again, why won’t Cindy? What are the McCain’s hiding?

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Oh, funky chicken – OH Happy Days! Awesome, my church rocks too, but we’re mainly full of bitter optimistic, gun clinging loading, white folks Caucasians.

kirkill on May 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM

jim m, maybe you should start a blog and ask that. This is about Michelle Obama – have you seen the Obama’s tax records? Bet not, what are they hiding? Tony Rezko anyone? Improper Government earmarks for Michelle’s hospital anyone?

Total strawman. We all know Cindy McCain inherited her father’s beer distributorship.

kirkill on May 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Maybe Cindy will release her tax records when Lurch Kerry releases the service records he said he’d release a couple of years ago.

tomk59 on May 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM

jim m is a troll sent here from Kos or elsewhere, perhaps DU.

Ignore him. Perhaps Mary Katherine Hamm should start including HotAir in her Internet Cop segment on O’Reilly.

The comments here are getting as bad as KOS.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM

No, sadly most of the McCain smears come from the far right. These are the same folks who pass around videos that say Hillary Clinton shoots people in the back of the head, etc.

A stain on Rove and Bush is that they used these people against McCain in 2000 and Kerry in 2004…it granted them legitimacy within GOP circles that they don’t deserve.

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Like I have said before, they belong in The Constitution party, not in The Party of Lincoln.

I wish they would just leave. And Rove needs his head examined for using these types to win. They are never happy; once you validate and mainstream theses Far Right bomb throwers you are asking for trouble.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Wahhhh.

Maybe she’ll learn to shut up.

I hope not.

drjohn on May 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM

I served from 61-67, (with a vacation in sunny Southeast Asia) and one of the downsides of serving was the knowledge that we were protecting the right of bipedal feces like jim m to be as much of an asshole as nobody could stand.

irongrampa on May 15, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Okay, maybe I’ve been too tough on McCain.

But I’m sure his lawyers are telling him that to avoid being sued for false advertising, he needs to hold up a sign in big red letters at the start of each speech: “CAUTION: BREAKS UNDER PRESSURE”.

jim m on May 15, 2008 at 6:55 PM

The State GOPs should recall the RNC and start over.

– The Cat

MirCat on May 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM

If Michelle Ubama is on the campaign trail lying to people (or in some cases revealing her true colors) then what she says is perfectly fair game. If she or her husband don’t like then she can stay home and bake cookies.

SouthernGent on May 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Love those Tennesseans. Hope to go there over memorial Day and buy a lot or a house. (retirement !!!!)

stenwin77 on May 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM

The State GOPs should recall the RNC and start over.

– The Cat

MirCat on May 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Here’s a better idea, let’s smoke out the Far Right from their foxholes and send them packing with their inappropriate politicking and gullible ideas laced with lies, garbage and John Birch Society style conspiracy theories right smack over into the Constitution Party with the rest of the fringe. Once and for all.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM

The Obama’s …………Very Classy, possible as classy as the Rev. Wright

Mike Mose on May 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Keep digging, April. You’re almost here.

Nichevo on May 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM

The Obama’s …………Very Classy, possible as classy as the Rev. Wright

Mike Mose on May 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM

The TN GOP better start listening to Newt or we are going to lose. The Anti-Obama, Anti-Wright, and Anti-Clinton GOP Model Has Been Tested — And It Failed.

The Far Right is going to blow it for us.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Nichevo on May 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM

You keep digging us into defeat. Newt agrees with me baby.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Jim m,

If the “confession” that John McCain signed were considered treason by our government, he wouldn’t be in the position he is today. We would know of him as the only returning POW to be charged with treason.

Here’s an idea. Go to a recruiter, any service, and tell them you want a job that will require you to go to survival school and POW camp. Then, after (if?) you make it through basic, and initial training, and survival school and POW camp, then return to us here online and tell us how you did after your measley few weeks in POW camp.

Or, if you don’t have enough time, search for the “confession” letter that the commander of the USS Pueblo produced and signed.

Or, give us a freaking break. Your attacks on his years under the “care” of the North Vietnamese are not going to change who any of us here are going to vote for (whether we’re voting for McCain or not). You’re wasting what little brain matter you’ve got left.

mjtyson on May 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Jim m’s attacks on John McCain are disgusting and shameful.

The Far Right needs to be excluded fro the conversation, like the Far Left.

They are merely smear merchants, they add nothing of substance to the arguement.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 8:43 PM

And if the Tennessee Republican Party has a problem with Senator Obama, maybe next time they’ll have the courage to address him directly instead of attacking his family,” said Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan.

This is not an attack on his “family” but a genuine critique of his wife and her anti-American behaviour.
If Barry and Sevugan doesn’t want anyone to criticize Michelle, then they should ask her to stay home and stop campaigning for him. As long as she is out there campaigning she is fair game. PERIOD!!!

RMR on May 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Oh dear. Juan B. doesn’t say “I’m proud of my country”. He says “I’m proud of this country for the resources it has to offer”. Oh well I suppose he’s assimilating better than most.

aengus on May 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I am no fan of McCain but once again, the post is about Michele Obama and the Obama campaign’s reaction to being called on her shit.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on May 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM

From Newt.org –

The Republican brand has been so badly damaged that if Republicans try to run an anti-Obama, anti- Reverend Wright, or (if Senator Clinton wins), anti-Clinton campaign, they are simply going to fail.

This model has already been tested with disastrous results.

In 2006, there were six incumbent Republican Senators who had plenty of money, the advantage of incumbency, and traditionally successful consultants.

But the voters in all six states had adopted a simple position: “Not you.” No matter what the GOP Senators attacked their opponents with, the voters shrugged off the attacks and returned to, “Not you.”

The danger for House and Senate Republicans in 2008 is that the voters will say, “Not the Republicans.”

Wake up fools and stop acting like na na na na na babies. You fools are going to make us lose.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM

You keep digging us into defeat. Newt agrees with me baby.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Newt thinks global warming is a threat.

You keep digging us into defeat.
The Far Right is going to blow it for us.
You fools are going to make us lose.

What’s this “us” stuff? McCain obviously doesn’t want “us” (conservatives) in the party. Can’t have it both ways. If the moderates and RINOs can hack it without conservatives, great, go to it. You win! It’s your party.

But if you want to get us on board, find something other than bogeyman Obama/Clinton stories to do it. Because as far as a lot of conservatives are concerned, the “Anti-Obama, Anti-Wright, and Anti-Clinton GOP Model Has Been Tested — And It Failed.”

Laura on May 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM

I love the ad!

I wonder if McCain would have the guts to use it in his campaign.

PattyJ on May 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Heaven knows I generally have a very low regard for the people in charge of the GOP in TN. (I’m supposed to respect a group that can’t come up with someone better than Lamar Alexander?? Casper Milquetoast would be more dynamic, more inspiring, more worthy of representing our great state in the United States Senate. Mediocrity at its’ finest. Quite a come-down when they chose to replace Fred Thompson with a plaid shirt…) This time, though, I’ll be the first to admit that they hit a homerun. I am absolutely stunned by the brilliance of the ad they produced!

Tomorrow, instead of deleting their daily email before reading, I’m going to make a donation. And, frankly, I’d be surprised if Fred and Jeri hadn’t made a little ‘donation’ of their own. This idea seems way too slick for any of those goobers on the committee to have come up with by themselves….

April, I would be willing to agree that Newt Gingrich is probably smarter than the two of us put together, since I am almost as intelligent as he is but throwing in your tiny bit of brain matter wouldn’t make much of a difference. So would you be willing to agree that arguably the smartest man in Congress managed, through ego and avarice, to blow it? Because that is a fact. And since it’s a fact that he has fatal flaws, why would anyone consider his opinion to be the defining one? My personal opinion is that Newt has sold out to somebody. (He has a habit of doing that.) Hence the global warming garbage.

Believe him if you choose. But suggest the rest of us are idiots if we don’t? Sorry…baby.

grits on May 15, 2008 at 11:06 PM

AprilOrit, there are many wonderful people who are concerned about McCain for decent, logical reasons. The “Manchurian Candidate” or “traitor because he signed a statement in the Hanoi Hilton” folks aren’t included in that group.

McCain’s wrong in immigration and “global warming,” IMHO. Obama’s just much, much worse and is dangerous for the country.

I also think another cold winter or two, and McCain and the GOP will hop right off the “global warming” train. I don’t think the dems will because it fits their worldview too well.

And if McCain can use “global warming” to get more nuclear power plants built here, more power to him…sorry, bad pun.

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 11:07 PM

I love the ad!

I wonder if McCain would have the guts to use it in his campaign.

PattyJ on May 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM

He won’t have to, but somebody will.

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 11:08 PM

That was a great ad! Needs to be shortend to 30 second spots to run on tv. Reach right out and grab people’s attention.

cjs1943 on May 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Woo-hoo for Vanderbilt! I immediately recognized that building the first guy was standing in front of. Go VU!

warrenmr on May 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Michelle Heinz Obama will provide the RNC with hours of material – if they’ll use it.

labrat on May 16, 2008 at 12:32 AM

I have ALWAYS been proud of my country.

waterfall on May 16, 2008 at 12:50 AM

The Far Right John McCain is going to blow it for us.

AprilOrit on May 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Better.

fourstringfuror on May 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM

I love it when these people make my point for me.

funky chicken on May 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Yep. Heh.

As for the ad, the idea is great. Love the last line. I’d like to see other state GOP organizations pick up on this and produce their own versions – make it a summer of why I’m proud to be an American.

The leftists will of course produce response ads, but by following their own ideology and instincts, they will be relentlessly negative and anti-American (reminds me of someone’s speeches… hmm…), and will only serve to prove our point for us.

Funny how those things work out sometimes, ain’t it?

Gilda on May 16, 2008 at 2:36 AM

I LOVE that zinger about Reverend Wright tucked in at the end of the video. Yes, we CAN get up and walk out when a pastor gets all violent and weird. But Obama did not.

{^_^}

herself on May 16, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Are you prouder of your country than Michelle Obama?

Is this that new popular game show I’ve been hearing about?

James on May 16, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Payback, Barry O. Step into the public arena with your wife and hate America – and this is going to be launched right back by patriots. THIS rebuttal to John Edwards’ “war on terror = bumper sticker” crap also comes to mind.

Damn good YouTube here today.

HotAirJosef on May 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM