Video: Obama annoys reporter by calling her “sweetie”; Update: Obama apologizes

posted at 3:14 pm on May 14, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Ben Smith, an almost miraculous stroke of bad luck: He dropped this on the one member of the media who wouldn’t coo and squeal like an infant at being addressed by him this way. In any other year no one would care but expect the pro-Hillary bloggers to tear him a new Messiah-hole for it, especially since it’s — arguably — part of a pattern. I thought he got a raw deal that time at the debate when he took heat for telling Hillary she was “likable enough,” but some women (including a liberal friend of mine) found it condescending. The same friend told me she was irritated by his mocking Hillary a few weeks ago for saying she went shooting as a kid. Feminist backlash on the way or grin-and-bear-it to support The Cause of electing a Democrat? They have been “reawakened,” you know.

Keep it on file mentally in case McCain stumbles this way down the road and the left suddenly finds itself outraged at such obnoxious sexism. Exit question: Is Hillary going to touch this? It’s so trivial, but any weapon to hand…

Update: That was fast.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

GWB should hold a press conference and call Helen Thomas “sweetie” >:D

“Hey sweetie you in the front”

Thomas, “WHAT!”

“Yea you sure are lookin’ good today!”

Thomas, “GRRRR!!!!!!”

Chakra Hammer on May 14, 2008 at 5:42 PM

faraway on May 14, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I’ve been telling people that for a while now. And not only that, but I actually think there is something seriously wrong with him.

Harpoon on May 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Entelechy,

In what capacity are you at hospitals? I practiced emergency medicine for several years, but got badly burned out, so now I’m about to start a new job at a less stressful place – a prison!

mikeyboss on May 14, 2008 at 5:50 PM

whooz da mandingo callin the white newschick sweetie?

reliapundit on May 14, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Obama has been running against women and feminine type people, just wait until he has to run against the man McCain.

- The Cat

P.S. Does that make me sexist :)

MirCat on May 14, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Obama annoys reporter by calling her “sweetie”

Good, that’s at least one more identity group that won’t be voting for him.

petefrt on May 14, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Reading the comments on Ben’s blog….I don’t think I’ve ever defended my own brother the way ObamaFFs do.

Sick.

Dubn8tr on May 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM

If he meets up with sweetie again, what are the odds he’ll scratch his nose with his extended middle finger when he apologizes?

econavenger on May 14, 2008 at 6:52 PM

whooz da mandingo callin the white newschick sweetie?

reliapundit on May 14, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Really? That passes as funny for people like you? Seriously?

Nonfactor on May 14, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Isn’t it interesting that Obama hastens to apologize for calling some newschick “sweetie” but doesn’t think an apology is in order from his pastor for god damning America, saying Al Qaeda was justified on Sep 11, and claiming America invented AIDS?

Tantor on May 14, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Good lord. Just wait until he apologizes, on behalf of America, for ______________.

SouthernGent on May 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM

He apologized with a voice mail? Talk about canned.

I noticed you can listen to the apology. Is this so we can all know what a great and humble guy he is?

INC on May 14, 2008 at 7:59 PM

That’s a bad habit of mine. I do it sometimes with all kinds of people.

Well as long as he’s condescending to everybody then hey, no big whoop. He’s the Pope of Hope you know.

ronsfi on May 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM

INC on May 14, 2008 at 7:59 PM

The funny thing about voicemails is that when you don’t pick up your phone a message gets recorded.

Nonfactor on May 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM

BO ought to apologize to his wife, since he has a “habit” of calling women “sweetie”. Michelle will probably clobber him with a skillet one of these days. I hope he’s not President by then, or the Secret Service with arrest her.

jgapinoy on May 14, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I swear women have called me “sweetie” on many occasions. No offence taken. Double standard?

ChenZhen on May 14, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Maybe the Republicans could pick up a few million votes by promising that the only presidential organ that will be discussed will be the brain.

snaggletoothie on May 14, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Maybe he just mistook the reporter for one that was on his plane earlier, ogling his package.

wise_man on May 14, 2008 at 3:26 PM

meant to open with this above

snaggletoothie on May 14, 2008 at 11:30 PM

ChenZhen

If I call a female “sweetie”, it’ll either be my wife, daughter, or a girl younger than my daughter.

I can’t see anyone calling a guy “sweetie”…?

jgapinoy on May 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Did he say “Sweetie” or “Sugar-tits”?

Claypigeon on May 15, 2008 at 2:48 AM

SweetieGate…

Did I get it first? Ha!

max1 on May 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Signs of snobbery and elitism. Obviously, the Wronged Rev. Wright taught him well.

The bottom line-using his middle name Hussein is now fair game.

Not now Hussein. Why do you support Hammas Hussein? How will you fight terrorism on Pennsylvania Ave Hussein? Does Michell know you really prefer white females Hussein?

MSGTAS on May 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Update: Obama apologizes

I bet he used a script.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 15, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Breaking: Obama calls Hillary “Sugar Bumps”

Dash on May 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I was thinking “Dirty Pillows”

fossten on May 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I’d be in jail right now if it were a crime to call women of every age or race ‘Sweetie’. Maybe it’s ok because I’m not a man, (synonymous with racist). ‘Knee-jerk’ and ‘seeeensitive’ don’t cover the level of insanity that has been reached here.

Christine on May 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Argh…synonymous with SEXIST! Doy! ‘White person’ is synonymous with racist…and it’s not even Friday!

Christine on May 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM

What an arrogant, condescending elitist this man is. You only have to peel away one layer to find out what kind of a person this is. God help us all if he becomes president.

waterfall on May 16, 2008 at 12:53 AM