Well, it is New York …

posted at 8:20 am on May 13, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The blogs got a big kick out of a temper tantrum by Bill O’Reilly years ago in which he unleashed a few salty epithets over a TelePrompter malfunction. At least he was smart enough to erupt off-air. Unfortunately for news anchor Sue Simmons in New York City, her moment of infamy got broadcast to millions of NBC viewers during this news promo (NSFW, obviously):

Niiiiice. Will this get the same treatment as the O’Reilly clip? Doubtful, unless it turns out that Sue Simmons has a history of quasi-conservative populist ranting. If so, then let ‘er rip.

And Sue? That ringing phone is from your friends at the FCC.

Comments

LOL! She has such a sweet voice that it just makes you giggle. Sort of like the sweet old grandma who says “Where’s the beef?” in that husky voice. You just don’t expect to hear it from her.

D0WNT0WN on May 13, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

One would have thought she would have had the professionalism to keep on going despite whatever the distraction was — she was only reeling off some headlines.

BigD on May 13, 2008 at 8:31 AM

What was the person doing?

hepcat on May 13, 2008 at 8:32 AM

This is another one of the so-called local New York news icons that Imus used to parody regularly before he went national. Usually he used a voice that sounded just like her little outburst right there. At least he beat her to the punch. She’s another example of a local TV “institution” who has stayed well past her prime. Guess who she used to work with at that station? Everyone’s favorite curmudgeon, Jack Cafferty.

Captain Scarlet on May 13, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

“B-O-O H-O-O.”

John Bender, The Breakfast Club

fossten on May 13, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Where is the content warning?

dentalque on May 13, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Where is the content warning?

dentalque on May 13, 2008 at 8:39 AM

NSFW in Ed’s write up.

Limerick on May 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

EVERYTHING

take it easy, he could turn this to “people who make stupid over the top posts”, and you would be the focus.

right2bright on May 13, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Sue Simmons & Chuck Scarborough have been an anchor team on the New York NBC affiliate for what seems like forever. My Dad remembers a time when a reporter, reporting live from some news scene, made a Freudian slip and swapped the consonants at the beginning of their first names…the reporter said (really, no joke)

Now back to Suck and Chue

(Which, of course, sounded like “Suck and Chew”). The anchors bust up laughing and the station was forced to go to a commercial break. When they came back from commercials, they tried to start into the next story and still bust out laughing.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Soooo New York.

SlimyBill on May 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Yes. And your problem is . . .?

rplat on May 13, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

No, just the media bias stories. Focus on reading comprehension, Tom.

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Where is the content warning?

dentalque on May 13, 2008 at 8:39 AM

NSFW in Ed’s write up.

Limerick on May 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

And if you’re still scratching your head: NSFW = Not Safe For Work.

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Wouldn’t this be a blogger bias story? I don’t think any of the mainstream media outlets covered the O’Reilly clip.

Ed Morrissey on May 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Dang – O’Reilly berzerkly video no longer available?

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM

hmmmm, video won’t load for me, and O’Reilly was pulled last night.

CBarker on May 13, 2008 at 9:19 AM

OK there it goes, must be working the RedLasso folks hard this AM…

CBarker on May 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM

It is amazing to me how stupid media people can be. How hard is it to remind yourself that as long as you’re sitting in the chair, as long as your feet are in the stupid studio, you just ASSUME the mike is ALWAYS on and THUS YOU DO NOT CUSS! If these people were zookeepers they’d forget to secure the lion enclosure.

radjah shelduck on May 13, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Gawker still has the O’Reilly video.

aero on May 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM

right2bright on May 13, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Right on right2bright…. Hit the nail on the head…

Keemo on May 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM

That is greeeeat! The only thing that would have been better is if they’d gone to the multi-color end of broadcast signal.

Oh well, she’s only a 12 step program away from being reinstated.

moxie_neanderthal on May 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM

My favorite Sue Simmons moments were from the day the Rodney King riots broke out in L.A.

She was reporting, with the same Chuck Scarborough you see here, on the “developing” situation in NYC. Except that nothing was developing, no outbursts, no street violence, nothing.

That didn’t stop her though. I remember her excitedly talking about “Reports! Of a Brick Thrown! Near Macy’s in Herald Square!” and similar.

There were no riots for Sue Simmons to cover but damn if she didn’t sound like she wished there were. I remember joking at the time that I fully expected her to go out onto 6th Ave and start lighting trash cans on fire herself, she seemed to want it so bad.

Not surprised at this latest outburst. Maybe this will give WNBC the opportunity they’ve been waiting for to fire her.

Gilda on May 13, 2008 at 9:36 AM

O’Reilly also has huge viewership and a reputation.

Vizzini on May 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM

The bias in the MSM needs to be the focus of attention; the news industry has failed the American people by becoming the mouth piece for a single party in a two party system. They have a choice here Ship; balance out their news rooms with a 50% ratio, or die the slow death they so richly deserve. Free markets (capitalism)works every time. The news will be reported even with the death of the so called MSM. These critters can make the necessary corrections to their voice box echo chambers, or they will go out of business.

Keemo on May 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM

When did this happen?

Wade on May 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Oh, boohoo. Poor picked-on conservatives. It’s all so unfair, isn’t it? Perhaps a disparity in reaction to this could be explained by the fact that Sue Simmons is hardly the media giant that BOR is. So it’s less a case of media bias than of simple visibility.

Grow Fins on May 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Victim mentality. Hard to get over.

freevillage on May 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Gawker still has the O’Reilly video.

aero on May 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Thanks for sharing, that’s precious. Only to be outdown later by his phone sex calls and subsequent law suit. Let’s just say, I cringe every time Bill talks about pervs and culture wars.

Yes, he did say “falafel”

STRONG CONTENT WARNING:

moxie_neanderthal on May 13, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Grow Fins on May 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM

And you read this blog because….

I knew the Left was emo, but there are limits…

Asher on May 13, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Victim mentality. Hard to get over.

freevillage on May 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I think you are referring to the Democratic Party base…not sure where that fits in here.

Asher on May 13, 2008 at 9:51 AM

LOL

trailortrash on May 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM

No, I’m now referring specifically to Ed.

freevillage on May 13, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Um, that’s pretty safe for work, where I work.

*sigh*

TexasDan on May 13, 2008 at 10:09 AM

The Oreilly clip is funnier because it’s Oreilly.

Who gives a shit who this local anchorperson is?

I could find a thousand bloopers like this.

Next.

Dave Rywall on May 13, 2008 at 10:16 AM

With it being New York, mostly likely hardly anyone noticed.

pilamaye on May 13, 2008 at 10:30 AM

A real class act

Mo2Do on May 13, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Probably not since O’Reilly is national and paid to peddle opinions forcefully. Sue Simmons has been on the air forever and even most New Yorkers don’t have a strong opinion about her.

dedalus on May 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM

That could be the stations catch phrase mantra.
Has anyone seen this as a billboard logo?
Maybe it was bring your child2work day…

christophercube on May 13, 2008 at 10:56 AM

That’s great TV! Honest emotion is so much more powerful than anything the lame tv producers and actors could ever come up with. Love them both (got the O’Reilly on gawker).

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Why I do keep visualizing Chuck Scarbouro’s hand reaching for her thigh before she erups, ‘what the *** are you doing?’

HeIsSailing on May 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM

It has been intimated that BOR sexually harassed one of his producers. Since we have seen time and time again where people have seen the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel, I would like to see just a bit more proof than a copy of her complaint. I have a feeling that Bill is smart enough to know that doing such a thing would be extremely stupid, just like posting innuendo.

TimothyJ on May 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I love New York!

The Race Card on May 13, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Doubtful, because of outside of New York City, who the hell even knows this woman? I’d never heard of her. She’s not a national figure like O’Reilly. And I presume she’s also not a political commentator.

Apples and oranges, Ed.

paul006 on May 13, 2008 at 11:28 AM

As usual… no Red Lasso.

nosliwelyk on May 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Nah. Just the ones that are.

drjohn on May 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I would comment but I cannot get the link to work.

davod on May 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM

The best televised tantrum in my life was on local Detroit television one summer morning decades and decades ago when I was a kid and programs were live.

The famous local clown had a kiddie show. One summer morning on the show the program featured an archery contest with cub scout age boys. A little boy missed his target and declared ‘S–t!’

The clown who looked and talked a lot like the MacDonald’s clown said in his happy clownie voice something like ‘Now Sonny don’t talk like that.’

The little boy turned to the clown, gave him the first and little finger and declared
“Eat it [famous clown name]!”

I had left the room when the kid blew off [famous clown name] but in seconds the neighborhood kids were running door to door spreading the news.

Just a great great event in the life of a kid

entagor on May 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM

HeIsSailing on May 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Now that’s funny.

Honestly, she’s human, and she apologized. No biggie.

mikeyboss on May 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM

“Cram it, clown”

nosliwelyk on May 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM

A real potty mouth.

TooTall on May 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM

I don’t know what she said but it is probably pretty close to what I have to say about Red Lasso. Video won’t load.

Mallard T. Drake on May 13, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Here’s a low-quality YouTube version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=O3elN2fHWGU

nosliwelyk on May 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I just wish I knew what the **** he was doing….

JohnTant on May 13, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Stupid Red Lasso. Thanks for the YouTube link, Nosliwelyk.

Sue Simmons: soon to be a potty-mouthed Denny’s hostess.

Splashman on May 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Ed, anyway to use another player besides redlasso?
I’m all up to date on sw updates, but cannot play.

Player error:
Stream Failed To Connect on Any Available Ports After 9.746 Seconds.
Please try again later.
Occurred with userGUID:
e9ad8441-6228-26a7-e9fb-963757d533ca
Clip ID: 5125f4f5-7444-4223-80ce-df2f45b5b2db
Flash Player Version: WIN 9,0,124,0
Please include as much additional information about your computer as possible by filling in the following information:
Web Browser and Version #:
Operating System and Version #:
Total System RAM Installed:
Free Hard Drive Space Available:
Site URL browsed when error occurred:

Kini on May 13, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Why is it I can never view these Red Lasso videos? I’m running Vista with everything up to date. Any hints?? I’m getting the same thing as Kini.

mjtyson on May 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Ed has been very reluctant to give up on RedLasso. I wonder why? It absolutely sucks. If I were a paying customer I’d say he had contempt and disdain for his customers. As is, I suppose he has contempt and disdain for us freeloaders!

Charles Martel on May 13, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I’m running Vista…

mjtyson on May 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM

You are coming to a sad realization: Cancel or allow?

Typhoon on May 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I don’t know if redlasso is a Adobe product or not, but they are certainly using their customers to debug their software problems.

I’m at the point of ignoring posts with redlasso embeds.
It’s ironic because Michelle has nothing but problems with YouTube posts.

Kini on May 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Poor Sue. She is a local New York news old timer.
This is not her first gaffe but me thinks this is not the first time New Yorkers have hear that plaintive question.

RobCon on May 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a media bias story.

Tom_Shipley on May 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Yeah Ed! Tom wants to know what the f*** are you doing?!

ScottMcC on May 13, 2008 at 12:43 PM

LEAVE ED ALONE!

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM

just for the record: i LOVE the O’reilly video. he has an outburst but then is calm. other people ive talked to have said the same thing. i think its hilarious and kinda fun.

this lady is funny too. wtf man

Drunk Report on May 13, 2008 at 1:20 PM

By the way, does anybody happen to know what the f*** he was doing?

paul006 on May 13, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I don’t think I like her tone!

jjjen on May 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Oh, dose farging corksuckers! I hate dose farging iceholes…

Wyznowski on May 13, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I REALLY want to know “…F**K are you doing?!~?!??!!?”
If you find out Ed, please bump and announce!

I have my own suspicion. Maybe Chuck and Sue aren’t very, let’s say, tight. They have been working with each other for years and have disdain for each other. If you look at the video, it looks like he may be asleep. And with the timing, maybe he had a part in that script which he totally missed, you know, due to his lil cat nap.. She had enough and blew the F**K up!
The End :)

lsutiger on May 13, 2008 at 6:35 PM

HeIsSailing on May 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I remember when she first started v. what she looks like now. He wouldn’t have to reach as far these days…

Captain Scarlet on May 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Dick Cheney still has his job, why should Sue lose hers?

This reminds me of the Seinfeld tape-recorder in a briefcase episode.

B26354 on May 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM