Report: Huckabee tops McCain’s VP shortlist?

posted at 2:15 pm on May 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Just this morning, Bob Novak quoted Christian bigwig Michael Farris as saying, “I understand he is not under consideration.” Said Huck himself just two short months ago, “We have been given every signal that is not going to be considered.” And yet:

Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and defeated contender for the GOP presidential nomination, is currently at the top of John McCain’s short list for a running mate. At least that’s the word from a top McCain fundraiser and longtime Republican moneyman who has spoken to McCain’s inner circle. The fundraiser is less than thrilled with the idea of Huckabee as the vice presidential nominee, and many economic conservatives—turned off by the populist tone of Huckabee’s campaign and his tax record as governor—are likely to share that marked lack of enthusiasm…

Let me add that a top Republican political strategist told me about a month ago that he also believed Huckabee to be the leading veep contender.

What’s changed in two months? For starters, remember that “Anyone but Mitt” campaign by Paul Weyrich and a bunch of other evangelical leaders? McCain can’t help but be jittery at seeing the Christian base taking a keen interest in his VP pick, especially with stories about their remorse for not having backed Huck in the primary circulating. Another thought: Romney’s always been touted as the logical pick for VP because of his fundraising prowess, to help close the money gap with Obama, but revisit this post from early March about Huckabee’s media savvy. By one estimate, the free coverage he received from the likes of Scarborough, Colbert, and the rest of the talk show circuit was worth $125 million in paid ads, more than Mitt could ever raise (especially with McCain accepting public financing). Having not one but two media darlings on the GOP ticket might convince the press to go merely hip-deep into the tank for Obama instead of face-first, like they’re planning. Finally, now that Barry O’s the nominee, McCain has both a worry and an opportunity that he wouldn’t have had opposite Hillary: Turnout among black voters in the south is sure to be huge this year, which, coupled with a weak turnout among southern evangelicals, could be lethal by putting red states in play. Adding a prominent Christian to the ticket solves that problem and frees McCain up to focus on the battlegrounds instead of fighting a rearguard action to preserve his base. Adding Huckabee specifically to the ticket, with his blue-collar populist rhetoric, holds an extra advantage in giving him a shot at Hillary’s base of working-class Democrats in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

All of which is to say, while Hot Air readers might not like this idea, I can understand why Team Maverick might. Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

Newsflash: Christian or otherwise, most of us are a bit more concerned with a candidate’s political record than how outspoken he is about his religious beliefs.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 10:28 PM

You are either a liar or you’re ignorant.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Then why don’t you join those flocking to Obama?

Seven Percent Solution on May 12, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement. From now on, “Seven Percent Solution” will be known as… Koko the Monkey.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Huck–tax raiser
Mitt–new to conservatism
Jindal is the man!

jgapinoy on May 13, 2008 at 12:18 AM

But thanks for making Christians look hyper-judgemental, spiteful and intolerant of other views. I’m sure that’s what Jesus would’ve wanted. You are giving a horrible example of how a Christian should act.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Thanks for helping you take down Christians?

That is your goal right?

So according to you Christians are supposed to accept all other religions as being true right?

Well you’re wrong.

Let me put this in your spirit very clearly…

THERE IS AN ABSOLUTE WAR AGAINST ABSOLUTE TRUTH!

You too have obviously been brainwashed by the central tenet of liberalism: moral relativism.

As the war against absolute truth is won by the liberals…America will surely fall.

THERE IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH!

Jesus is TRUTH! Jesus is the ONLY TRUTH and the ONLY WAY in which man is saved!

Jesus is the WORD of God!

He is the Word of God that upholds,maintains and creates the universe!

He is the Word of God made flesh!

He is the ONLY WAY that man is saved!

Let me guess…if I do not tolerate other religions as being true then you call me bigot right?

It’s a fallacy…..your word bigot means nothing.

You are no Christian, Hollowpoint. Do not claim to be until you are.

I’m not laying final judgment on you HP you can repent and go to Heaven.

But I will tell the Truth.

SaintOlaf on May 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM

“free coverage he received from the likes of Scarborough, Colbert, and the rest of the talk show circuit was worth $125 million in paid ads. . .”

This isn’t going to happen in the general election.

Troy Rasmussen on May 13, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Nice attempt at changing your original question. Laughable.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I did no such thing. You’ve answered nothing here, except to prove you are willing to argue against Scripture in favour of you’re own personal opinion. I don’t dislike you Slublog. Quite the contrary. My prayers are for you that you recommit yourself to Christ and take His Word seriously before time runs out.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Goodnight. JesUSAves

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:39 AM

McCain/Kennedy

STAY HOME ’08

DfDeportation on May 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM

JesUSAves

All of this time I was wondering why Huckabee threads degenerate into debates over Christianity and the merits of professed members of said religion, when ostensibly one would expect political threads to be about politics. There is certainly enough policy reasons to dislike, or conversely support Huck without reference to his religion. But now all my questions are answered. I see that it is an issue of a broken spacebar and the afore unseen secret meaning of two words, one misspelled, thrown together.

Perhaps this is a metaphor for Huck’s vision for America: two ideas thrown together to make a emotionally appealing idea without reference to accuracy. I stand correctly, he would make a good running mate for McCain.

Spirit of 1776 on May 13, 2008 at 12:53 AM

If Huckabee would make it on any ticket, the 4-8 years would look like this thread. No, thanks.

Entelechy on May 13, 2008 at 12:56 AM

I can barely “campaign” for McCain (hey that rhymes!).

But Huckabee too? It just might be too much…for this Christian…to take. :-(

Note: Being a Christian doesn’t equal to being a great leader. If that were the case, then Carter would be “the best of them.”

Darnell Clayton on May 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM

40 posts and one banning to go if Texas Dan called it prophesied correctly.

Anybody else care to place a bet? Free Gitmo cookbook to the winner, and I’ll even pay the shipping. :-)

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Game on……. (aka Koko)

apacalyps = this A*s-Clown

Seven Percent Solution on May 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM

You are either a liar or you’re ignorant.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Quite the snappy comeback. I can see how it might be difficult for a Huckster supporter to consider the notion that others (Christians included) actually consider a political candidate’s politics when considering their suitability for political office more importand than how religious they profess to be.

Mostly because Huckster supporters are ‘tards.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2008 at 1:05 AM

You are no Christian, Hollowpoint. Do not claim to be until you are.

I’m not laying final judgment on you HP you can repent and go to Heaven.

But I will tell the Truth.

SaintOlaf on May 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Yeah- you’re not judging me at all… just suggesting that anyone who dares criticizes the political views of Mike Huckabee (pbuh) can’t possibly be a Christian. ONLY those who support the Huckster can be TRUE believers. Anyone who disagrees? Total heathen.

Thanks for proving my point that Huckster’s supporters are an intolerant, hyper-judgemental, spiteful bunch who act in a very un-Christian manner when they or Huckafraud is criticized though.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Just when I’ve gotten to the point where I can forget about how awful McCain was towards Mitt Romney in the primaries, someone goes and plops Huckabee into the mix as McCain’s potential VP top pick? That slimy S.O.B. was hateful towards Romney — coyly casting aspersions on the man’s religion… some Christian. I wish he’d go back to his double-wide in Arkansas and wait for the next twister. (not an exactly Christian notion either, I realize, but that guy is a total sleaze)

D2Boston on May 13, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Yeshua (Jesus) did not come here to start a religion.

He came here to die. For us. Because He loved us. And still loves us.

There is only one absolute truth that matters – we can now go back to our Father’s house because of Yeshua’s sacrifice.

Accept it and live forever in paradise. Manipulate it, adjust it, add to it, subtract from it, or just simply not believe it and you’ll never get off this planet.

platypus on May 13, 2008 at 1:29 AM

GodOlaf SaintOlaf on May 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM

FIFY.

linlithgow on May 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM

In a thousand years from now:

Jesus: Hey RW, Your time to be judged. You ready?

RW: Uh, well I guess so Jesus. I dont know

Jesus: Hey dont worry about it, you’ll do fine.

RW: You think so?

Jesus: Hey, I am the judge, I should know

RW: Good point

Jesus: Well, you were honest, you raised a good family

RW: thanks

Jesus: You helped out the poor, naked, sick and stuff.

RW: I did?

Jesus: yeah. and when you did..you were really doing it to me

RW: That is cool!!

Jesus: You bet, come on to heaven..here is an electric harp

RW: Rock on!

Jesus: You deserve it dude.

RW: Hey one thing, JC.

Jesus: Whats that Roger?

RW: Well, you know, on Earth, I didnt like some of those dudes who were constantly talking about you.

Jesus: Hmmmmm

RW: Yeah, they were constantly quoting you out of context and yet they were acting like a bunch of dicks.

Jesus: yeah I know. You must be talking about the evangelicals

RW: Exactly. Those a-holes like Satan Olaf and Mick Huckabee and Apalalyps and Red Pill.

Jesus: Ugh..what a bunch of a$$holes, eh?

RW: Oh for sure! I hated those guys.

Jesus: Yeah, me too. They all suck. Thats why I sent all those bastards down to hell.

RW: You did?

Jesus: HELL YEAH!!!

RW: ALRIIIIIIGHT!!

Jesus: Cmon in dude, I gotta move on, I gotta let Mitt Romney in next. He ruled.

RW: Yeah, I know. I voted for him in the primary but the Satanists like Huckabee vetoed him.

Jesus: yeah I know, well render to ceasar what is ceasars and all that stuff.

RW: Ok, thanks again Jesus.

Jesus: No problemo dude.

Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Satan Olaf

Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Holy Shit!

Is this a muslim clusterfuck in disguise?

winemkr on May 13, 2008 at 1:45 AM

1000 years from now:

Jesus: Hey Roger, how ya doing?

RW: Jesus? Is that you?

Jesus: In the flesh! How are ya?

RW: I, I , I am doing OK. What is going on?

Jesus: Its judgement day…and your next?

RW: Oh oh

Jesus: Dont worry about it Roger, you’ll do fine.

RW: Really?

Jesus: Sure! You were an honest guy, raised a good family

RW: Well, yeah. Thanks!

Jesus: You basically did the stuff I asked. You took care of the hungry, thirsty, naked, and poor and stuff.

RW: Well, I tried.

Jesus: And here’s the deal. When you did that, you were really doing it to me.

RW: Really! ALL RIGHT!!

Jesus: Yeah baby. So come on in. Its heaven time. Here is an electric harp.

RW: YES!!!!!

Jesus: Rock on dude.

RW: Oh wow, this is great. Hey, I have a question Jesus.

Jesus: No problem. Whats up?

RW: Well, on Earth there were these guys who were constantly using your name.

Jesus: Hmmmmm

RW: Yeah, they were always quoting scripture out of context and judging people and acting like they were spiritually better than everybody else.

Jesus: Oh. Let me guess. Evangelicals. Right?

RW: Exactly!! They would argue in your name but they were just a bunch of d!cks.

Jesus: Yeah, I know.

RW: I hated those guys….. like Mick Huckabeee and Satan Olaf and RedPill and Apalayps.

Jesus: Yeah, I hate those guys too. Thats why I sent those ba stards down to hell.

RW: You did??

Jesus: HELL YEAH!!!!

RW: ALRIIIIIIIIGHT!!

Jesus: Anyway, I gotta move on. I am judging Mitt Romney next…and he ruled.

RW: Yeah, I voted for him in the primary…but those satanists like Huckabee vetoed him.

Jesus: yeah I know…well they are burning now baby. Besides, render to ceasar the things that are Ceasars and stuff.

RW: Good point

Jesus: Thanks.

RW: Catch you later Jesus and thanks for everything.

Jesus: No problemo my man. Enjoy heaven.

Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Hey………..That would settle my vote. I will be voting for Bob Barr!

Thanks for kicking conservatives in the crotch with your “Green” speech today, McLame!

azcop on May 13, 2008 at 2:06 AM

RW: Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Linlithgow: ROFLMAO

linlithgow on May 13, 2008 at 2:07 AM

I hope this is just a trial balloon. In which case we can call it the Lead Zeppelin.

Sekhmet on May 13, 2008 at 2:31 AM

That slimy S.O.B. was is hateful towards Romney

FIFY

sulla on May 13, 2008 at 3:33 AM

Now if McCain would just consider Ron Paul for SoS or SecDef, he could build his administration out of the three worst candidates in the entire history of the Republican party.

LegendHasIt on May 13, 2008 at 3:49 AM

That WOULD get me to sit out the election and spend the time that would otherwise be wasted finding an escape route out of this booby-hatch of a nation.

I find the insouciant religious bigotry of Huckabee regarding Romney’s religion to be fully as wretched as Reverend Wright’s spoutings and foamings at the mouth. Just because he is on the side of God as seen by some people they give him a free ride while being upset with Wright. Fie on both their houses.

(As a Mormon Romney makes a good Episcopalian. He learned that while attending an Episcopalian parochial school in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan that has a remarkable record.)

{^_^}

herself on May 13, 2008 at 4:03 AM

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 10:28 PM
You are either a liar or you’re ignorant.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:13 AM

I sense some projection in your statement.

Anyhoo, just because you may have an irrational hatred for people and religious organizations that don’t align with yours, don’t assume the rest of us do.

And Allah, about that supposed Huckabee “media darling” bit, don’t be fooled. The Colberts, Stewarts, and O’Briens of the TV world trotted the guy out as a punchline and empirical proof of their own deeply held convictions that Evangelicals are a bunch of knuckle-headed bumpkins; a sort of “Hey, check it out: Lil’ Abner wants to be The Prezdent! Yeee-haw!” Kinda figured you would have gotten the joke, but that’s beside the point.

The point is, Huckabee as GOP primary candidate = a hearty laugh and comical exposition for the Daily Show/Colbert Report/Late Night crowd. Huckabee as VP candidate = blood in the water for those clowns and red meat for the DNC and their media wing (NBC/CBS) to sink their teeth into.

Don’t kid yourself. Huckabee as VP would be like handing the mugger the gun to rob you with.

Perhaps, it’s time for GOP conservatives, Blue Dog Dems, Evangelicals capable of seperating church from state (I believe them to be the majority within that group) and some of the more rational Libertarians to forge our own party and leave the rusted out hulk of the GOP to the country club set, “mavericks”, big government/big spenders, and Evangelistas (the Evangelicals who appear to be incappable of seperating church from state) who have pretty much hijacked and wrecked the party as a suitable alternative to the increasingly leftist Democrats.

If we’re looking at a GOP that’s dominated by those groups, it might as well be consigned to the trash heap of history with the Whigs and Federalists, as a GOP that spends as big as any Dem, plays identity politics to the hilt just as shamelessly as any Dem, and trashes conservatism as fiercely as any lib is no longer any alternative to the Dems.

Maybe we could hijack the Unity ’08 on-line convention…

SuperCool on May 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM

Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Funny stuff aimed appropriately. Too bad there is no such place as hell, but then again man could invent it just as he has done with so many deities and one of the punishments for those like the four horsemen you named, would be to continuously read the detestable putrescence they’ve preached or posted to a gang of disinterested guppies.

Annar on May 13, 2008 at 6:29 AM

oh my… I wasn’t a Romney supporter… but I have a bad taste in my mouth over the way he was treated. Huckabee is just too much like McCain (and Bush) in his “Compassionate Conservatism”. I want some “Realistic Conservatism”. This just might be the straw that breaks my back… I’ll just have to wait and see. Now, lets go searching for who this “Bob Bahr” guy is…

BadBrad on May 13, 2008 at 6:30 AM

My husband took a political test that asked about his political views, then matched him up with the politicians who fit them best. My husband is fairly liberal.

Two politicians tied for his top spot: John Edwards and Mike Huckabee.

Esthier on May 12, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Oh really? That doesn’t jive with this:
Electoral Compass: Who Is The Most Conservative?

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Well, I guess I could be called an Evangelical. I believe the Bible as the literal Word of God. And yes, (gasp) I believe in absolute truths. I have heard Huck talk about being a Christian, wishing people Merry Christmas, talking against abortion and all that. I am also against abortion and it’s great he’s out there wishing people a Merry Christmas. Fine. But just about everything else he does scares me.
His views on immigration are wrong. His views on the war are wrong. His views on terrorism are wrong. His views on taxes are wrong. His ethics do not at all seem to be that of a Christian. In other words,, he’s a scum bag. I do not trust him. this is not a good pick for VP and means it may be better for a Dem to win in the short term.

JellyToast on May 13, 2008 at 7:40 AM

Oh.
My.
Lord.

I signed on to HotAir at 8pm last night for the first time since early afternoon, and this 2:15pm post already had over 400 comments. Heh.

McCain seems to be hell bent on effing this up. I am starting to believe that he is part of the conspiracy to give us Obambi in the White House. I repeat my apologies to Laura and the McCain haters: you were right, he hates us, too.

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Pwnd!!!

1380 was my SAT score. What was yours?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Laura,

You must also be one of those cut-throat Republicans who would punish children for the crimes of their parents.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM

There’s no laws in this place! ANYTHING goes! It’s THUNDERDOME!!!

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Dude, take a look at your government! How could you even ASK such a stupid question?

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM

But you, it seems, would rather throw the innocent kids under the bus.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I am intolerant of MANY opinions and lifestyles, aren’t you?

Or do you heart pedophiles?

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Admit it. Your compassion is surely wanting in this matter.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 5:19 PM

And…did you know that Mormons do actually believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers? That means something to me. Maybe it doesn’t mean a damned thing to you…but it does to me.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I hope you’re happy with your nominee, Dumbass.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 6:10 PM

What a rediculous statement.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM

For instance on 9/11..we made a mistake…we turned to patriotism(and only briefly) instead of turning to God in repentance…
Make no mistake…God will judge this nation…we will be destroyed.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 7:48 PM

The U.S. government has forsaken God and now practices and promotes a false and demonic religion.

Yes America will fall and very soon in fact.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM

You would vote for Hillary over Huckabee? What a phony. Voting for an abortionist (baby killer) is NOT pursuing holiness as you’re website indicates you’re trying to do.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Your PC garbage is simply that…garbage.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM

You are one of the biggest phonies here.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 8:57 PM

She is a phony, Al-Ozarka. A con artist. She falls into the category of alot of the other people here claiming to be Christians, they generally ignoring as much Scripture as possible to make sure they don’t have to change the way they live.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Jesus said:
“You will know them by their fruits”

The spiritual man judges all things.

Jesus commands us to
“Judge not according to appearances but JUDGE RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT“

If you are a Christian like you claim…

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Using the Lord’s name in vain are you?

“You Shall Not Take The Name Of God In Vain.” Exodus 20:7

Did you say you were a Christian?

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM

You’re a bunch of phonies. It’s about time someone called you out.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 9:50 PM

You have no clue what you’re even saying. It’s astounding this garbage. The Bible says in Deuteronomy 6:6-7

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

There are alot of scammers here posing as Christian. They ignore large parts of the Scripture and still claim to be a Christian.

Scammers.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM

We should be able to recognize false teachers and “from such turn away.” Matthew 7:15-20

(ie, like phony Christian’s).

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM

It’s about time true Christians stand up against you false converts who have make derogatory comments about Mike Huckabee and other real born again Evangelicals. You will be exposed for what you really are. Fraudulent!

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 10:32 PM

You are a very foolish man.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM

You are either a liar or you’re ignorant.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:13 AM

THERE IS AN ABSOLUTE WAR AGAINST ABSOLUTE TRUTH!

THERE IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH!

It’s a fallacy…..your word bigot means nothing.

You are no Christian, Hollowpoint. Do not claim to be until you are.

I’m not laying final judgment on you HP you can repent and go to Heaven.

But I will tell the Truth.

SaintOlaf on May 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM

===========================================================
1 Corinthians 13:1-8a and 13
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails….And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
===========================================================

If you’re going to hold yourself out as a Christian example, walk the walk and type the talk. The people who should feel indicted by this passage, won’t, but I didn’t post this for them.

silverfox on May 13, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Here’s where you can contact McCain and tell him what a terrible choice Huckabee would be.

hepcat on May 13, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM

535 at breakfast time in Chicago. 700 easy.

I threw up a little in my mouth all over my keyboard and on the computer desk.

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 8:32 AM

1000 years from now:

Jesus: Hey Roger, how ya doing?

RW: Jesus? Is that you?

Jesus: In the flesh! How are ya?

RW: I, I , I am doing OK. What is going on?

Jesus: Its judgement day…and your next?

RW: Oh oh

Jesus: Dont worry about it Roger, you’ll do fine.

RW: Really?

Jesus: Sure! You were an honest guy, raised a good family

RW: Well, yeah. Thanks!

RW: Well, I tried.

Matthew 7:22-23

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Isaiah 64:6 – But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Titus 3:5 – Not by works of rightousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us…

Ephesians 2:8-9 – For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast.

Jesus: Oh. Let me guess. Evangelicals. Right?

Jesus: Yeah, I know.

Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM

1 John 4:20 – If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

1 John 3:15 – Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

fossten on May 13, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Wow, I haven’t seen such an entertaining thread since the Fred! days.

SouthernDem on May 13, 2008 at 8:33 AM

silverfox on May 13, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Great post, silverfox. The internet can be a poisonous atmosphere, at least for me. I am at my worst here.

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 8:40 AM

535 at breakfast time in Chicago. 700 easy.

I’m still anticipating the banning. These Huckabee threads certainly do have a way of bringing out the worst of people. Just like the demonizing, populist, class-envy-promoting politician himself.

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Let me clarify myself. I was having some fun. It’s my own fault that I didn’t make that clear in the comment. My own brother whipped my butt on the SAT…he was in the 1500′s. I don’t think that my score makes me any better or worse, any smarter or dumber, than anyone else. My brother may have done well on the SAT, but he voted for Kerry in 2004 and his wife currently has an “Obama Mama” bumper sticker on her car. I don’t think that’s very smart.

I was simply having some fun. Slublog used me in an analogy, so I tossed one back at him that he didn’t understand. That’s why I (jokingly) said, “Pwnd!!!“. I didn’t mean it as an insult. Again, it’s my fault for not making it clear what my intent was.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Wow, I haven’t seen such an entertaining thread since the Fred! days.

SouthernDem on May 13, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Absolutely! Watching the unmasking reminds me once again why I went deist. The only thing missing is a fatwa.

a capella on May 13, 2008 at 9:01 AM

535 at breakfast time in Chicago. 700 easy.

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

First point: No matter how many comments this post gets, it won’t come anywhere near the 103,962 votes Mike Huckabee received last Tuesday (NC 62,798 + IN 41,164).

Second point: I agree that ad hominem attacks are not appropriate in either direction.

Third Point: If anyone is worthy of being banned, it is Roger Waters:

Jesus: Yeah, I know.

Roger Waters on May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Hey RedPill guy,

Be careful when you cross the street because when you eventually die…… you are going to burn in hell…along with Huckabee and Stalin.

amen and amen

Roger Waters on February 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Hey Skid-(mark),

RedPill is a witness for Christ? I hope for Christ’s sake that you are joking. The REAL Jesus would spew that child of hell out of his mouth faster than vomit.

1) Christ lives.

2) Heavenly Father is good news.

3) RedPill is a child of Satan who will burn baby burn.

Just saying…

Cheers.

Roger Waters on February 13, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Jaibones on May 13, 2008 at 8:24 AM

TRUTH.

And I, for one, accept that apology. ;)

Redhead Infidel on May 13, 2008 at 9:17 AM

I like Fred Thompson and would have liked Huckabee/Thompson, but Fred has made it clear that he has no interest in being anyone’s VP.

Huckabee/Steele 2008

Change we can believe in.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Red Pill, it’s not ad hominem when it’s demonstrably true and when that’s the point of the argument. I have a lot of reasons to dislike Huckabee and want him to fail politically, and his populism and class warfare are high on the list.

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM

when you get government to do what the church should be doing.

Laura on May 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Amen, sister Laura! I have always belived if the churches were doing what they SHOULD be doing, there would be no need for social services!

kcd on May 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I agree. If total government taxes were capped at 10% of your gross income, and if everyone voluntarily tithed (gave 10% of their gross income) to a local house of worship (church/synagogue/temple/other), people would still have more money left over (most people pay more than 20% of their gross income in taxes right now) and the social needs of our communities would be met.

When I say “promote the general welfare”, I am not supporting a welfare state. “Promoting” is encouraging and creating the right environment for something. “Promoting” is not being responsible for. Our Government can “promote” free enterprise by getting out of the way, rather than creating more rules, regulations, and restrictions on business. People can “promote” ethical businesses by buying their products or services and avoiding their unethical competitors. Our Government can “promote” an environment where social services needs are met by ministries, rather than the Government.

Example: Mercy Ministries founder Nancy Alcorn has been much more successful in helping young women through an unashamedly Christ-centered program than she was able to be through a state-run program that did not allow her to talk about Jesus Christ (which was an unconstitutional restriction of religious speech … the first amendment protects our right of religious free speech).

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Agreed.

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Wow. I sure did miss the Prophets of Doom going at it last night.

Hi Esthier, still at it I see :-) You’re beginning to enjoy this, aren’t you? (just joking)

Oldnuke on May 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM

I must be a masochist.

Esthier: Isn’t it fun to be labeled and judged by apacalyps? Now you can join the club – which is legion.

Bambi on May 12, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Thanks for welcoming me, but I should probably be the founding member. His attacks on me are based on another thread where he proved that his reading comprehension was that of first grader.

I would say one thing, then he would distort everything I said, then spit it back at me as though I was the hypocrite.

You don’t believe the Bible is the literal Word of God. You doubt Noah’s flood. You doubt the literal 6 day creation in Genesis. You attack Christians. Listen to you here, “I would leave the party if it become the one Huck and political evangelicals would like it to be.” You are such a scammer.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 8:57 PM

I’d try one more time to tell you how wrong and ignorant you are, but you’re too ignorant to understand what I’m saying.

You can’t handle anything more than simple predictable sentences.

By taking religion out of politics you are invariably replacing it with another religion…secular humanism and you are assuring God’s righteous judgment on this nation.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I guess Jesus Christ was a fool then too. He lived in a time of a democracy. Paul was even a citizen. They both messed up then. They could have been running for office. Obviously that would have been much better than dying. I mean, what did that accomplish?

Oh… right.

Well, at least Paul could have lived. Getting stoned and left for dead can’t have been much fun. Why didn’t he try and work on the government? He was only the most prolific preach of the Gospel of Christ. He could have been so much more.

You sure know better than they did. You should have been Paul instead. We’d all be much better off.

In 1992 Huckabee said, “that homosexuality was an “aberrant, unnatural and sinful lifestyle” that posed “a dangerous public health risk.” Huckabee is waiting for Moses to okay gays. He said in a 2006 speech, “Until Moses comes down with two stone tablets from Brokeback Mountain saying he’s changed the rules, let’s keep it like it is,” he said.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM

OK, I’ll play devil’s advocate for a second.

What would Huck actually do about homosexuality? Would he keep marriage off the table? That’s not doing anything. The polls against homosexual marriage are far too conclusive for any politicians to make any other decision. Maybe he could outlaw its behavior in public with some sort of public ceremony proving he’s serious.

Jesus lived under an oppressive religious organization and fought against it. I will do the same if necessary.

You people would scare the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 9:52 AM

It’s not unconstitutional. She can talk about Jesus all she wants, just not on the taxpayer dime. It’s that simple. Maybe she’ll one day be able to do her work without state money.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Thompson/Jindal in 2012!
I’d love Bobby to end up Veep now but the Louisians need him-then the Nation.
PS Huckbots: Many years ago Cal Thomas and the Rev. Ed Dobson(no relation to James) wrote a book called:
“Blinded by Might”.
Both Thomas and Dobson worked for the Moral Majority in the early years before deciding that in most cases mixing religion with politics is not Adonai(G-d’s) will.

Think about it.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I see we passed the 550 mark. Anyone banned yet?

TexasDan on May 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Excellent book – they make a case for why Christians should be involved in politics, but should not depend on the political realm to achieve social change.

Another good read is “Kingdoms in Conflict” by Charles Colson, a man who has been on both sides of the conflict he talks about in his book.

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 9:59 AM

You are wrong on two accounts:

1) It is unconstitutional for the state (Congress) to restrict religious speech.

2) Nancy Alcorn has been successfully setting young women free without state money for over 25 years. You obviously didn’t read the link I provided. Why don’t you try reading that instead of insulting other people’s reading abilities?

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Thompson/Jindal in 2012!
I’d love Bobby to end up Veep now but the Louisians need him-then the Nation.

We’ll see. Right now the battle for ethics reform is still going on and Jindal may not be on the right side of it; most La. Republicans just voted against a tightening up of the “show” reform Jindal just pushed through. (Short version: the words “clear and convincing” replaced “substantial” at the last minute and due to a legal quirk, substantially weaken Jindal’s ethics reform. La. Republicans are on the WRONG side of the argument; Jindal pled ignorance of the legal difference between the phrases. I don’t believe he’s that dumb.)

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I see we passed the 550 mark. Anyone banned yet?

TexasDan on May 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I don’t think so.

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM

You are either a liar or you’re ignorant.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Make no mistake…God will judge this nation…we will be destroyed.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Before we turn to pillars of salt and succumb to destruction, could you guys explain Ed Rollins to me. I must have missed the answer to my previous question. Or are you afraid to answer the question. Candidate can’t stand up to scrutiny?

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 10:29 AM

You wrote:

through a state-run program that did not allow her to talk about Jesus Christ

You said the place that restricted her speech was state-run.

I missed the part where you wrote that she now has another organization, but that wasn’t the part I was responding to anyway. That was a throwaway comment.

Not paying for religious speech is not the same as restricting religious speech.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I see we passed the 550 mark. Anyone banned yet?

TexasDan on May 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Please be patient with us. We are trying to get someone banned, but so far, the thread mostly resembles a “game of chicken.”

CyberCipher on May 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Calling all holier than thou Huckabee supporters, explain to me how such a fine Christian can associate himself with Ed Rollins.

End justifies the means, redemption of a sinner, my brother is the devil? Huck had to have known about this guy. What happened to Huck’s high road?

Huckabee is all things to all people, and nothing before God.

eaglesdontflock on May 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM

So I guess, by your logic, Ronald Reagan is in hell right now.

Ed Rollins was hired in 1981 to serve as Deputy Assistant to the President for Political Affairs under Lyn Nofziger. When Nofziger resigned in November 1981, Rollins was appointed as Assistant to the President for Political Affairs and Director of the Office of Political Affairs. He held the position until he resigned in October 1983 to lead Reagan’s re-election campaign. In the second term, he rejoined the Reagan Administration as Assistant to the President for Political and Governmental Affairs.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

a capella on May 13, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Oh, we have a fatwa, sort of. See this post.

apacalyps on May 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Oldnuke on May 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM

So I guess, by your logic, Ronald Reagan is in hell right now.

I wouldn’t know. But I also don’t recall Reagan explicitly campaigning as a “Christian leader.” To whom much is given, much is expected.

Laura on May 13, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Oh really? That doesn’t jive with this:
Electoral Compass: Who Is The Most Conservative?

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Maybe that’s because it considers things like Creationism being taught in science class a conservative issue.

The test my husband took was fairly solid. It asked about specific issues, asked what you thought about those issues, then asked you how important those issues were to you.

Huck and Edwards are both populists. It’s a natural fit.

You’d be able to see it if Edwards wore his religion in his sleeve.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Slublog:
I’m heading to the library this morning.
I’ll definately be looking up that Colson book.
Thanks!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM

When Nancy Alcorn spent eight years working for the state of Tennessee at a correctional facility for juvenile delinquent girls, that secular program had a very low success rate. Most of the girls that left that program went right back to the abusive situation from which they came, and they ended up back in jail, or worse yet, dead. Nancy’s job was to help these young women. Even though the #1 way for her to do her job was to introduce those young women to Jesus Christ, the state unconstitutionally restricted her right to do so.

Nancy left that program and a few years later started a Christ-centered program that has produced infinitely better results. To anyone who wants to see “proof” of God, take a look at these success stories. Even if you doubt that God is real, these girls’ faith in Jesus Christ produced real results. That faith producing real results is evidence of the unseen God. (Hebrews 11:1)

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM

So I guess, by your logic, Ronald Reagan is in hell right now.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Feeble, Red Pill. Much of Rollins most famous behavior occurred after Reagan left office. Answer my question. Funny, I didn’t realize that Reagan was a Baptist minister. Laura’s point is on target.

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Even if you doubt that God is real

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I don’t. I am a Christian despite what the judges on this thread may want to say.

However, that doesn’t mean that the government should finance religious speech.

Good for her that she started her own organization. Without government money, the government cannot interfere with her business. With government money, they can. There’s nothing unconstitutional about that.

You’re thinking of this in terms of Christian speech, but we’re not the only religion out there.

Islam has calmed a lot of criminals and helped them become productive members of society (of course it has also had another effect on others). Do you want your taxes to do to Muslims proselytizing their beliefs?

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

This isn’t exactly the strongest poison pill against Huck. Yeah, ok, it’s a point, but his policies toward taxation and government are worse IMHO.

I do like his Second Amendment stance though, and I’d trust him over McCain.

fossten on May 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Edwards is a Marxist/Socialist/Communist.

Huckabee is a freedom-loving Capitalist.

People will understand that as they get to know Huckabee better.

If anyone at Hot Air spent more time with Ronald Reagan than Ed Rollins did, I’d like to hear from you.

If anyone at Hot Air spent more time with Mike Huckabee than Ed Rollins did, I’d like to hear from you, too.

The bottom line is that this country overwhelmingly loved Reagan. And a man who spent more time with Ronald Reagan and Mike Huckabee than (probably) any of you said:

Governor Huckabee has probably inspired me as much as Ronald Reagan did. I’ve looked a long time to find a candidate like that…A lot of people walk around talking about the Reagan days and the next Reagan. I was with the old Reagan and I can promise you that this man comes as close as anyone to filling those shoes.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Well, Rollins was paid to make his candidate as attractive as possible to a GOP electorate. He was just doing his job, and I suggest he would have said that of anyone who hired him. That’s the nature of political operatives.

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Why bother post this story on this website. All the Romney kool-aid drinkers will use this as a forum to say nasty things about Huckabee. We get it already…many on hotair like Romney and can not get over the fact that Huckabee did much better in the primary than their candidate. Move on already.

Huckabee would be a fine VP and hopefully McCain will pick him.

arizonateacher on May 13, 2008 at 11:20 AM

arizonateacher on May 13, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Best argument ever for homeschooling in AZ.

Shay on May 13, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I do like his Second Amendment stance though, and I’d trust him over McCain.

fossten on May 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Are you saying character doesn’t matter?

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Heh. Yeah, and it only took Huckabee a few weeks of campaigning after everyone else had dropped out to catch up to Romney in the delegate count. What a winner! I didn’t start out in the Romney camp, but found the former Massachusetts governor a far more palatable candidate than either Huckabee or McCain.

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Funny, I didn’t realize that Reagan was a Baptist minister.
eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Oh, of course you’ll disagree. But it really is true. People who don’t want a strong Christian as our President are fighting tooth and nail to “shut up” Huckabee and his supporters.

For those who believe in the unconstitutional concept of “separation of church and state”, you don’t know much about the founding of this country. When the President gives the State of the Union address, do you know what’s literally carved in stone above his head?

In God We Trust

Do you know what the first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court said about electing “Christian Leaders”?

“Providence,” said he, “has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest, of a Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:25 AM

That’s not true at all. I share Huckabee’s faith, but was not impressed by his political history or frankly, his character as exemplified by his nasty with a smiling face campaign style.

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Funny, most of the hatred towards Huckabee is because he was a Baptist minister.Red Pill

Please, your communication style is antiChristian. I could like Huckabee if it weren’t for his hypocrisy. His high handed management of the office of governor, their abuses of power, surrounding himself with charlatans. Do me a favor, don’t invoke “Christian” and “Huckabee” in the same paragraph and perhaps you will gain some credibility.

I don’t have an issue with ministers in office, as long as they aren’t hypocrites.

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Seriously? Romney got more votes, won more states and had more money in his campaign.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Edwards is a Marxist/Socialist/Communist.
Huckabee is a freedom-loving Capitalist.

I’ve seen no proof of the latter.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Except that Rollins was paid by several candidates between Reagan and Huckabee and never said that before. So, your suggestion is wrong.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Exactly. Don’t buy the hype from the guy paid to produce hype.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Are you saying character doesn’t matter?

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I’m saying Huck’s character influences my opinion of him more than someone else’s character does.

fossten on May 13, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Are you saying character doesn’t matter?

eaglesdontflock on May 13, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Character Makes a Difference

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM

At least there will be music

EricPWJohnson on May 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM

One week ago today, Mike Huckabee got more than twice the number of votes that Mitt Romney got.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Character Makes a Difference

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM

It’s hilarious how the summary tries to pain him as honorable because he was about to try and impeach the man standing between him and him becoming governor.

I’m sure those minutes he thought about initiating impeachment proceedings were very difficult minutes, torn between his desire for power and his commitment to his boss.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I’m sure that has nothing to do with Romney asking his supporters to support the nominee.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Slublog on May 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:33 AM

You can’t discredit the message (Huckabee can fill Reagan’s shoes) so you must resort to trying to discredit the messenger.

I’d like to hear from anyone who has had face-to-face time with both Ronald Reagan and Mike Huckabee.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Reagan nostalgia is a little higher today than it was in the past. It was prime time to use that line.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Huckabunch — NOT a good choice for Vice President.

I would prefer Romney or another choice — a current or former Governor would be best.

eanax on May 13, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Romney did more than that. On February 14th he “released” his delegates to be free from having to vote for Mitt Romney at the Republican Convention. That was intended to force Huckabee out of the race.

People accuse Mike Huckabee of being “in bed with John McCain”, but Mitt Romney assumed that position 3 months ago.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:43 AM

A McCain/Huckabee ticket= Second look at Zombie Reagan.

phronesis on May 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

A McCain/Huckabee ticket= Second look at Zombie Reagan.

phronesis on May 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

No, not McCain/Huckabee.

Huckabee/Steele. That’s a winning ticket.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM

A McCain/Huckabee ticket= Second look at Zombie Reagan.

phronesis on May 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I’d certainly rather vote for a dead guy.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Gotta run…

I’ll check back later.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Ummmm, the Abrahamic Religion, consisting of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. All three fighting over the ‘Ownership of God’. Here’s an interesting read:

CHRISTIANITY: Hoax of Hoaxes

KarmiCommunist on May 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Huckabee/Steele. That’s a winning ticket.

Red Pill on May 13, 2008 at 11:55 AM

No, it’s not.

Esthier on May 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Jimma Carter is the living example of why we should **never** elect someone who has to wear their religion like a badge, regardless of what part of the political spectrum they happen to be on. No more jihads from any religion, thanks.

This is not a theocracy. Huckabee, the man a heartbeat away from someone who’s 72? Disaster waiting to happen. NO!

Shay on May 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM