Report: Huckabee tops McCain’s VP shortlist?

posted at 2:15 pm on May 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Just this morning, Bob Novak quoted Christian bigwig Michael Farris as saying, “I understand he is not under consideration.” Said Huck himself just two short months ago, “We have been given every signal that is not going to be considered.” And yet:

Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and defeated contender for the GOP presidential nomination, is currently at the top of John McCain’s short list for a running mate. At least that’s the word from a top McCain fundraiser and longtime Republican moneyman who has spoken to McCain’s inner circle. The fundraiser is less than thrilled with the idea of Huckabee as the vice presidential nominee, and many economic conservatives—turned off by the populist tone of Huckabee’s campaign and his tax record as governor—are likely to share that marked lack of enthusiasm…

Let me add that a top Republican political strategist told me about a month ago that he also believed Huckabee to be the leading veep contender.

What’s changed in two months? For starters, remember that “Anyone but Mitt” campaign by Paul Weyrich and a bunch of other evangelical leaders? McCain can’t help but be jittery at seeing the Christian base taking a keen interest in his VP pick, especially with stories about their remorse for not having backed Huck in the primary circulating. Another thought: Romney’s always been touted as the logical pick for VP because of his fundraising prowess, to help close the money gap with Obama, but revisit this post from early March about Huckabee’s media savvy. By one estimate, the free coverage he received from the likes of Scarborough, Colbert, and the rest of the talk show circuit was worth $125 million in paid ads, more than Mitt could ever raise (especially with McCain accepting public financing). Having not one but two media darlings on the GOP ticket might convince the press to go merely hip-deep into the tank for Obama instead of face-first, like they’re planning. Finally, now that Barry O’s the nominee, McCain has both a worry and an opportunity that he wouldn’t have had opposite Hillary: Turnout among black voters in the south is sure to be huge this year, which, coupled with a weak turnout among southern evangelicals, could be lethal by putting red states in play. Adding a prominent Christian to the ticket solves that problem and frees McCain up to focus on the battlegrounds instead of fighting a rearguard action to preserve his base. Adding Huckabee specifically to the ticket, with his blue-collar populist rhetoric, holds an extra advantage in giving him a shot at Hillary’s base of working-class Democrats in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

All of which is to say, while Hot Air readers might not like this idea, I can understand why Team Maverick might. Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 8

Huckabee was practically humping McCain’s leg for the last month of the race. Some people I know on his staff wouldn’t even answer me when I asked if he was just there to edge Mitt out. I am willing to bet there was some trade deal in the works there.

bj1126 on May 12, 2008 at 3:04 PM

And I’ll grow wings and fly to Europe for a summit with the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Huckabee at least has a chance of taking office in January as President. You on the other hand…

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

With the wild cast of characters in the Presidential race at this time, I’m waiting for the return of Ross Perot.

Buford Gooch on May 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Perot would have a nice little chart to show us…

This announcement is a test balloon.

In that case, time to take out the pellet guns and pop this sucker.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM

heh

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

Watch it Allah. That option only exists for those of you in deep blue states, where your vote doesn’t really matter anyway. We don’t want to convince anyone in battleground states that this is a viable option, because it is not [[JUDGES]].

tommylotto on May 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Many evangelical leaders threatened to sit home if Giuliani got the nod.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I don’t think any of the candidates deserve a vote.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Huckabee at least has a chance of taking office in January as President.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Whatcha smokin’?

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM

VP Huckabee?

That’s the best news in weeks!

Just like I said…they don’t want Huck to be their VP but they have to pick him if they want to win!

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM

bad + worse != win

knob on May 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Huckabee at least has a chance of taking office in January as President.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

No, he doesn’t. Seriously, mankind growing wings is far more likely.

Esthier on May 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Of course, Huckabee : me :: oil: water.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

We need a conservative president; not a Republican president.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM

“Huckabee as VP pick severs that with a machete.”
My McCain thread was severed by the return of ‘comprehensive immigration reform’.
The folks advising McCain are dumb as bricks, so this don’t surprise me none. If Hucckleberry Hound is the VP pick it will make it easier to write in Mortimer Snerd and Maudey Frickert.

Christine on May 12, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Red Pill : 1380 :: Slublog : ?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Wright gets tax free million dollar housing. Why doesn’t Huck retire and get the same deal from some church. Then he wouldn’t have to covet the money of the rich so much.

PrezHussein on May 12, 2008 at 3:09 PM

This is what happens when the boni decide what is best for the plebs. The plebs will like it or lump it. Yep. We’ll all be lumping it.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Huckabee won’t be president. You need to join the rest of us here in reality. He’s not even campaigning any more, he’s backing McCain (who already has enough delegates to take the nomination).

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM

1380

?

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Sorry for the (somewhat) double post. (I thought it didn’t get on the board.) I guess that’s what happens when a bunch of people post comments at the same time. Duh.

Christine on May 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

Hillary…Chelsea…heck, even Socks or Buddy.

If Huck is on the ticket, I will not vote for McCain.

sulla on May 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Feel the love fellow conservatives.

Valiant on May 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM

tommylotto on May 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM

AMEN!!!

The Supreme Court nominations/confirmations of the next President will impact us for decades.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Crist for VP – I thought of that too for the sheer fact that Florida’s DEM primary isn’t going to count. But with Crist on the ticket, FL will feel like they are at least part of the race – different party though of course (I think).

Oink on May 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Red Pill : 1380 :: Slublog : ?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:08 PM

?

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Pwnd!!!

1380 was my SAT score. What was yours?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

That’ll do it. I will.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM

you give up you rights to complain when you give up your vote.

Chakra Hammer on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

The oft quoted “foolish rule”.
When you don’t vote for something that is bad, or wrong for the country, you do not give up any rights. If you are “forced” to make a decision between two wrongs, and you prefer not to, then you are saying you have to accept both wrongs?
The rule should state; if you vote for an open border advocate, then you have lost all rights to complain about open borders.
You have it backwards.
If you don’t vote for someone because they can’t make a simple decision like choosing a VP, then you have every right to complain.
Your thinking is that you have to vote for mistake to complain about the mistake…that would be a mistake.

right2bright on May 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM

1380 was my SAT score. What was yours?

Quite honestly, I don’t remember. I took it almost 20 years ago.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:15 PM

This would drive me to volunteer against McCain. Mob appeal will get a new meaning.

Slublog, go fishing, or do something enjoyable.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:17 PM

1380?

I thought you were predicting how many votes McCain would get with Huckashuck on the ticket.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Good point.

“Vote McCain or you can’t complain” is bumper-sticker logic at best. Vote, yes; vote my way or else, no.

sulla on May 12, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Slublog, go fishing, or do something enjoyable.

Ha. I wish I could. It’s beautiful here. But I’m stuck writing the academic equivalent of TPS reports.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Support among evangelicals, and a pro-life record, are Huckabee’s ONLY strong points. McCain is already pro-life, and he doesn’t need Huckabee to give him pro-life credibility, when Obama opposed a bill that would require Illinois abortionists to give care to live-born babies that survive late-term abortions, in effect favoring infanticide.

Huckabee’s record in Arkansas is opposed to McCain’s stands on other issues. He raised taxes in Arkansas, whereas McCain says (now) that he wants to make the Bush tax cuts permanent and reduce corporate taxes.

Huckabee also got into trouble during the primary campaign with commuting the sentences of many felons in Arkansas, one of whom went on to rape a woman. McCain doesn’t need a Veep nominee with a “Willie Horton” hanging around his neck–in that respect, even Rudy Giuliani would make a better running mate.

Huckabee also wrote an article which was harshly critical of Bush’s foreign policy, while foreign policy is McCain’s strong point. Obama’s foreign-policy ideas would be disastrous, but if Huckabee was on the ticket, Obama could point to Huckabee’s article as a demonstration that Obama’s “judgment” is better.

With McCain’s age (even though his mother is still alive), many voters will be looking at McCain’s Veep nominee carefully, to determine whether he is ready to be President. While Huckabee’s evangelical support would be useful, a McCain/Huckabee ticket would have too many issue conflicts, and wouldn’t be coherent for many voters. There are better Veep candidates out there than Huckabee.

Steve Z on May 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I predict 550 posts and one banning in this thread.

TexasDan on May 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I predict Red pill will go over 50 by himself

windansea on May 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

I’m stuck writing the academic equivalent of TPS reports.

mmmm…yeah. Don’t forget to add the new cover sheet….

sulla on May 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I took it over 20 years ago myself, but I still remember. The verbal section had a fair amount of analogies.

Since you were using me in an analogy, I tossed one back at you for fun.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Don’t forget to add the new cover sheet….

sulla on May 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

That would be grrreat….

I need you to work the weekend.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Ok, I’ll predict his VP will be Carly Fiorina.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Sulla

GREAT screen name. Proscription is just misunderstood.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I predict Red pill will go over 50 by himself

windansea on May 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Actually, I have to head out. I may check back later tonight, though…

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I took it over 20 years ago myself, but I still remember.

Hm. Bully for you. If it’s any consolation, my score was probably lower. I was a bit of a goof-off in high school, a trend that obviously continues since I’m writing this instead of the report I should be working on.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Here’s the real deal which may shock some of you so called fiscal cons….the democrat has now become the party of the elitists billionaires.

That leaves the republican party desperately and quickly attempting to become the party of the poor!

Here is a fact that not many of you may know about.

The republican party is leading a push in rust bowl states to outlaw payday lending(or at least lower the “interest rates to the point in which the industry will dissolve).

It is now a wedge issue.

Now payday lending is in fact the only source of credit for the poor in America(85% of America is poor).

But to stand against it is purely a PR trick to say “look we’re against those greedy payday lenders who are ripping off the poor”.

It’s obviously an attempt to gain the poor white voters in the rust bowl states.

There’s no truth to their claims but that is what is happening in the republican party now.

In reality if you lower the fees payday lenders can charge you dissolve the industry (because it has a high default rate) and thus leave the poor without any source of credit except bouncing checks..which will eventually destroy their ability to secure a bank account.

Huckabee has a great platform for the the poor in America(vast majority of the country).

Yes they will pick Huckabee as VP because they have to.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

1380?

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:18 PM

LOL

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

This is excellent news. I might actually warm up to voting for McShamnesty in November if he picks the Huckster for VP. Still, I think he’ll lose the general election and we will deserve it for picking him as our nominee in the first place.

Vaporman87 on May 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM

F*** it. I’m going to smoke a cigar.

How the hell did it get to this?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I predict 550 posts and one banning in this thread.

TexasDan on May 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I predict 1380 posts.

redrock on May 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Besides which, it’s just an aptitude test. They’re not really great as a measure of success.

Esthier on May 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Really? When did the United States of American turn into the Dominican Republican?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM

McCain’s veep will be Governor Crist. All signs have been pointing to him.

And barry will take Florida on the way to becoming president. crist is a flaming liberal and is well on his way to screwing up the economy of Florida. Conservatives in Florida do not like him and will not vote for mccain if crist is on the ticket.

peacenprosperity on May 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM

85% of America is poor.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

The premise for your entire comment is wrong; only 14% of the United States falls below the poverty line.

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

“Like RushBaby said, this is a straw, a very heavy straw. Independents, and secularists like myself, will be driven from the party.”

Better the secularists than the evangelicals.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I just think it is funny how the ‘leaders’ float this stuff up to see how it will fly before they actually commit to anything. Why don’t the leaders say this is what is going to happen because it is the best thing for our country? Huckabee has interesting ideas, but I just don’t see putting him on the ticket making up for any of McCain’s weak points. Most Protestants don’t see Huckabee as speaking for them. He’s a leader who happens to be Christian, but for the most part Christians think for themselves in making decisions.

I read this news as ‘Meh. . . who cares’. It doesn’t make a difference.

ThackerAgency on May 12, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

The Wall Street Journal’s Steve Moore has done the math on Obama’s tax plan. He says it will add up to a 39.6 percent personal income tax, a 52.2 percent combined income and payroll tax, a 28 percent capital-gains tax, a 39.6 percent dividends tax, and a 55 percent estate tax.

enjoy!

windansea on May 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Good luck winning without that 15% or the 10% shamnesty vote.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

I’m in. I could choke down the necessity of voting for McCain if the condition of the war required it, but I won’t vote for Pastor Holiday Inn Express under any circumstances. He’s one “Christian leader” who does not, and will never, represent me.

Laura on May 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Huck’s “media savvy” was a direct result of his ability to act as a spoiler to McCain.

If McCain puts him on the ticket, expect him to face full-on derision over his trailer trash politics. The liberal media that fawned over him when he could pose a threat to the GOP will not continue to do so.

daryl_herbert on May 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM

“I guess all those folks from Ann Coulter to all of the CPAC invitees who were cheering Romney’s address aren’t conservatives then.”

If Ann Coulter and all those people believe that Romney is a conservative, they don’t even know what conservatism means, mate.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Not sure… look at what we have:

McCain, getting ansery for what reason I am not sure and yet possibly having Huck-a-Muck as VP. Let me think about this one. I won’t vote for Huck if he goes on the tail of Mccain. period!

Hillary and Obama… Lord as I walk through the Valley of the Hill/Hussien Shadow of the Dead, I am not sure about thier evil. Give me the Strength to Not Want to vote for their irrational asses!

Bob Barr…. If I wanted a libertarian Dope smoker in the WH I would have asked for a Paulnut!

Ugh, this keeps getting worse and worse.

upinak on May 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Your concept of poverty is ridiculous.

Minimum wage is poverty level?

what is that 18k a year?

Give me a break. You couldn’t live on 18k a year in Haiti.

$50-$75k a year is poverty level.

If you don’t make 100k a year in Los Angeles you can’t pay rent unless you live in south central.

Do the math.

The cheapest place(not in a ghetto) is probably around $2k a month…you need three times your house/rent expenses to be able to eat and pay bills etc. that’s $6k a month…$72k a year is poverty level!

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

85% of America is poor.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Idiocy of the century. Go align yourself with Michelle Obama – it will be a perfect fit.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

20 million in the greater L.A. basin. 72k poverty line. South Central must be packed.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Your concept of poverty is ridiculous.

Minimum wage is poverty level?

what is that 18k a year?

Give me a break. You couldn’t live on 18k a year in Haiti.

$50-$75k a year is poverty level.

Do the math.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I never knew Michelle Obama was registered at Hotair. You learn something new every day. You forgot to mention the student loans from Havard this time.

phronesis on May 12, 2008 at 3:41 PM

$200k a year is not rich.

$200k a year is what the average family should be making to be somewhat comfortable….unfortunately 85% of America does not make that.

Give me a break entelechy.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Beat me to it.

phronesis on May 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

That explains why Huckabee’s populism appeals to you, I suppose.

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM

You must have no clue about a thing called inflation.

Those who do not live in their parents basement will know what I am talking about.

Gas was $1 a gallon not too long ago….now it is $4 a gallon

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I live in L.A. and I’d feel pretty dang rich at $200k per year. I might not be buying a McMansion, but I could certainly afford a home that would fit my family.

My rent is less than a thousand a month for two bedrooms.

If you’re not trying to keep up with the Joneses, you can live pretty comfortably – even in L.A. – on far less than $100,000 a year.

But that sort of class envy is exactly what I expect from a Huckabite.

sulla on May 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Give me a break entelechy.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I wouldn’t start the “poor is this compared the the rich” crap.

Unless you want to say what you make, then I would drop the conversation. Poor or Not, I really do not care what people make. It doesn’t make me treat them any different as a person.

upinak on May 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM

perhaps why Huck didn’t run for Senate in Arkansas?

jp on May 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM

the fact remains that the democrat party is now becoming the party of the elitist rich while the republican party searches to connect with the poor (hence the push against payday lending etc.).

Will you fisc cons switch parties?

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I hope Allah is just trollin’ with this speculative essay on political fiction. If Juan does choose Suckabee for the VP slot so be it, makes it that much easier for me to write in the late great Frank Zappa. This would surely destroy the GOP (at that point nothing more than Gringos Ok Pandering) and hasten the creation of a new conservative party. Let the centrists keep trying to be all things to all people, there is already a word that describes this type of conduct, I believe it is…whore!

dmann on May 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Again only one word is needed to prove that Huckabee would be a disaster on any political ticket and that word is……sermons.

sheryl on May 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Yep. While the MSM ignored Rev. Wright for as long as they possibly could, the second Rev. Huckabee gets securely on the ticket his sermons will be methodically dissected and analyzed for any microscopic evidence of preternatural conservative bigotry.

Just take his decade-old AIDS comment(remember how quickly they latched onto that blip?)…and multiply it by about a gazillion. Winner.

Cuffy Meigs on May 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Those who do not live in their parents basement…

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Well that leaves L.A. out. Basements in L.A. are maybe 1:100k of homes.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Actually, only about 2.4% of the population makes that salary or above according to the census bureau.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Give me a break entelechy.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM

You don’t deserve a break. I hope you get ridiculed for the life of this thread. This is one of my favorite topics.

The rest of the world doesn’t earn as much as Americans do, on average – should we adjust their salaries too?

If LA is too expensive for anyone, move. LA owes you nothing.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM

You must have no clue about a thing called inflation.

His grasp of inflation seems much better than your understanding of cost variance. $200,000 is far above the median income in a number of states.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Except for the truly disabled, the orphans, the very sick, the old who have no one, etc. the only reason to be ‘poor’, in any definition, in this country is voluntary.

I’m all for helping out, permanently, or temporarily, but not by your definition SaintOlaf. Your argument is a huge disappointment, from many perspectives.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Laura on May 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM

My sentiment too. This would turn the milk sour. I can’t hold my nose and drink it. I’d throw it up.

silverfox on May 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM

If LA is too expensive for anyone, move. LA owes you nothing.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Quite right. And SaintOlaf, housing in LA is deflating fast. Down around 25% y/y according to the case-shiller index. No signs of that stopping either.

phronesis on May 12, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Dude, I don’t know where you are living, but there was a guy who set up my satelite dish here and I was talking to him about how much he was making. I said, do you do pretty well? He smiled real big and said ‘Oh YEAH!’ I asked what I would make if I started. He said, well as a trainer you make 30,000. After a month of training you get 10,000 more. And if you make superviser you get even 10,000 more than that with benefits. He said that some people were making GASP 60,000/year!

You seem to think that would put him in poverty. He thinks it makes him rich. I’d say your 15% number that don’t make more than 200,000 is accurate. I just wouldn’t consider someone who makes 50,000 to be at poverty level. It shows how spoiled Americans are. A billion people around the world live on a dollar a day. If you can’t make it with 3000/month (36,000/year) you are doing something wrong.

ThackerAgency on May 12, 2008 at 3:54 PM

now it is $4 a gallon

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM

It isn’t, not even in most expensive San Diego. Shop around, and drive less.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Will you fisc cons switch parties?

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Are you kidding? Here

is what a Congressman/woman

makes IF they do not have another business or stocks on the side! Most Congress and Senators HAVE businesses as well.

Stop, just Stop!

upinak on May 12, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Huckaphony. Nice.

Virus-X on May 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I’ll risk being a bore (again)…

I’ve said it many times here:

“Keep on hand on the Bible, one hand on your wallet, and one eye on the preacher.”-Dad

Thanks Pops! Best advice I ever received.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 3:36 PM

The Commonwealth of Mass. was in far better shape when Mitt ran the show. Obama lite, Gov. Cadillac Duval Patrick has already destroyed the budget and has fast become a total failure as a leader, platitude and rhetoric get old real fast!

dmann on May 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Who mentioned welfare?

I’m talking about inflation and why Huck will be VP…because of his fairtax support and expressed sentiment for the poor.

hussein O thinks $150k is rich and deserves to be taxed at 60%.

poverty level is not $18k….not even in haiti.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Double-Zero to the left, Double-Zero to the right!

Can we still abort an election in its third trimester?

landlines on May 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM

“Good luck winning without that 15% or the 10% shamnesty vote.” Limerick

Dude…noone wins with McCain on the ticket…except Democrats.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Gas was $1 a gallon not too long ago….now it is $4 a gallon

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I don’t live in my parents’ basement (we don’t even have them in Texas). I’ve recently gotten a raise; however, for a full year my husband and I supported ourselves on a little over 18k (before taxes). We wanted of nothing and were actually able to save over 7k that year in order to buy a new/used car.

And we didn’t even hold back on going out.

People who know how to take care of their finances can live just fine off of much less than 18k a year.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

How are you at the poverty level if you’re able to afford a place in one of the most expensive cities in the country without having to live in the ghetto.

You are sounding horribly out of touch.

Better the secularists than the evangelicals.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I belong to the second group, and even I would leave the party if it become the one Huck and political evangelicals would like it to be.

Esthier on May 12, 2008 at 4:01 PM

poverty level is not $18k….not even in haiti.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM

You’re right. It’s far below that unless you have a large family.

Esthier on May 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM

phronesis on May 12, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Good if you’re a first-time home buyer. Not good if you were hoping to use a home equity loan. Food & fuel inflation are having an impact on consumers.

dedalus on May 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM

SaintOlaf, with a McCain/Huckabee ticket, there will be no McCain presidency. Embrace your Obama.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM

“The Commonwealth of Mass. was in far better shape when Mitt ran the show.”

So what? The commonwealth was also able to get a bill allowing state-funding for abortion. Probably because it’s governor at the time was a contributor to Planned Parenthood!

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Oh yeah…Arkansas was MUCH better off with Huckabee as governor as well! His conservative credentials make Romney’s pale in comparison.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Juan Hernandez, speech at La Raza, and now Huck. I wish he had ran his primary campaign like the general.

DFCtomm on May 12, 2008 at 4:05 PM

tommylotto on May 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM

As an OH resident… I will never vote for McCain.

HYTEAndy on May 12, 2008 at 4:05 PM

“I belong to the second group…”

I doubt it very seriously.

Noone in the “second group” would want secularism to reign in the GOP.

Nobody.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I’m sure Arkansas under Huck was paradise. With all the pardoning of rapists, tax hikes, etc., how could it be any less?

phronesis on May 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Amen, sister.

Since 1969, the US poverty rate has been 10%-13%. Even when BillyJeff was jerking the country around, it was still around 10%. This level despite the influx of unprecedented numbers of illegal aliens is impressive. Thank the MSM for over dramatizing the whole issue (along with Barry’s and too some extent Huck’s) rhetoric.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:05 PM

So you’re reduced to doubting the faith of others now, based on your own narrow definition?

Stay classy, Huck supporters.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM

His conservative credentials make Romney’s pale in comparison.

I’ll try your style…BFD dude!

dmann on May 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Give me a break. You couldn’t live on 18k a year in Haiti.

SaintOlaf on May 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I understand that you are speaking from the perspective of a LA resident, so let me give you some assurances. One of the unique and wonderful things about this country is the easy mobility we have to move from one economic quintile to another. People are always moving up. There are people in the top quintile who have started in the bottom quintile, and vice versa. Everybody gets the same opportunity to move up and down the scale, provided that the government doesn’t put obstacles in the way.

The year I started my business, my business partner had to move in with me to share rent. Our income was under $6,500 apiece. We ate ramen noodles, adding meat and vegetables when we earned a good check.

During that time, I was tranformed from a lazy student into a driven and ambitious citizen. I look back on my poverty — with pride.

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Noone in the “second group” would want secularism to reign in the GOP.

Nobody.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Sorry, my friend. I prefer the church have it’s own building.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 4:08 PM