Report: Huckabee tops McCain’s VP shortlist?

posted at 2:15 pm on May 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Just this morning, Bob Novak quoted Christian bigwig Michael Farris as saying, “I understand he is not under consideration.” Said Huck himself just two short months ago, “We have been given every signal that is not going to be considered.” And yet:

Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and defeated contender for the GOP presidential nomination, is currently at the top of John McCain’s short list for a running mate. At least that’s the word from a top McCain fundraiser and longtime Republican moneyman who has spoken to McCain’s inner circle. The fundraiser is less than thrilled with the idea of Huckabee as the vice presidential nominee, and many economic conservatives—turned off by the populist tone of Huckabee’s campaign and his tax record as governor—are likely to share that marked lack of enthusiasm…

Let me add that a top Republican political strategist told me about a month ago that he also believed Huckabee to be the leading veep contender.

What’s changed in two months? For starters, remember that “Anyone but Mitt” campaign by Paul Weyrich and a bunch of other evangelical leaders? McCain can’t help but be jittery at seeing the Christian base taking a keen interest in his VP pick, especially with stories about their remorse for not having backed Huck in the primary circulating. Another thought: Romney’s always been touted as the logical pick for VP because of his fundraising prowess, to help close the money gap with Obama, but revisit this post from early March about Huckabee’s media savvy. By one estimate, the free coverage he received from the likes of Scarborough, Colbert, and the rest of the talk show circuit was worth $125 million in paid ads, more than Mitt could ever raise (especially with McCain accepting public financing). Having not one but two media darlings on the GOP ticket might convince the press to go merely hip-deep into the tank for Obama instead of face-first, like they’re planning. Finally, now that Barry O’s the nominee, McCain has both a worry and an opportunity that he wouldn’t have had opposite Hillary: Turnout among black voters in the south is sure to be huge this year, which, coupled with a weak turnout among southern evangelicals, could be lethal by putting red states in play. Adding a prominent Christian to the ticket solves that problem and frees McCain up to focus on the battlegrounds instead of fighting a rearguard action to preserve his base. Adding Huckabee specifically to the ticket, with his blue-collar populist rhetoric, holds an extra advantage in giving him a shot at Hillary’s base of working-class Democrats in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

All of which is to say, while Hot Air readers might not like this idea, I can understand why Team Maverick might. Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

I may have to join you in writing in Shrillary, AP, a thought which turns my stomach.

sondiehl on May 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

OMG! I feel like I have stepped into the twilight zone!

kcd on May 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Please, no, no, no.

StephC on May 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I feel like I shall vomit.

ParisParamus on May 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Deeper and deeper.

Limerick on May 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Oh HELL no…HELL to the NO!! Absolutely NOT, no WAY will I EVER support that ticket!!!

TheGoblinKing on May 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Your thinking makes me sick to my stomach. I’m in Alabama. I have to vote R to try and offset that huge turnout of black voters in the South.

jdog on May 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Jaun must really not want my vote.

Onager on May 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM

McCain was so horrible on the first half of O’Reilly’s interview. It was scary.

Throwing in the Huckster might just be too much for any consrvative to handle.

awake on May 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Great we have shit and piss as candidates. That would be a disaster.

echosyst on May 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I’m really starting to feel abused by McCain. He knows most of us are unwilling to vote for a democrat under any circumstances for the good of the nation, but he keeps pushing and pushing and pushing his faux-republican agenda down our throats, almost laughing at us as we choke it down “for the good of the nation.”

At this point I’m sure he thinks he can get almost anything by his “base,” but I’m almost at the point where I’ve been pushed far enough to stay out of this election. One more push like this Huckabee move ought to do it….

World B. Free on May 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Not Hillary, but write-in, yes.

/OH resident.

HYTEAndy on May 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

No way I would ever vote for her. If your not going to vote for McCain at least vote your conscience and vote for a third party – Maybe the Constitution Party? Write in Romney, Fred, ANYBODY but her.

Corsair on May 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM

EGADS!

robblefarian on May 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM

If McCain does that he can lose for all I care. That would prove he is so tone deaf he should never be the leader of our party.

echosyst on May 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Perfect! I’d hate McCain to pick a Conservative, thereby sacrificing that candidate from future participation. I’d rather see a combination like McCain/Huckabee, McCain/Hagel, McCain/Powell, McCain/Rice, McCain/Arnold, McCain/Lieberman so that we can destroy the future ambitions of 2 ‘moderates’ in a single shot.

infidelpride on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

This is only a dream. A horrid, terrifyingly bad dream, but still, it’s not real.

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to wake up from this. It can’t be real, it just can’t be. Right?

the goddess anna on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Huckabee= “Buy one vote, lose two….”

ParisParamus on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

“Starting” to feel abused by McCain?!? Good God, some of you have really high pain tolerances!

tomk59 on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Please God, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie on May 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Great. Mr. Weak on Crime/Living Constitution/Tax Raiser/Nanny Stater is really what we need.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM

So, this is according to a “top McCain fundraiser” and “a top Republican political strategist”…no names, of course.

This lacks credibility, just sayin’.

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Who is on Obama’s VP short list?

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Holy Schneikies! What a cluster that would be! Oh well, it could save us from four years of screaming “Why Juan, Why?” as he screws everything up and we, his non-loyal non-base plead in vain for sanity.

I’m gonna be sick.

Maquis on May 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Mike Huckabee announced his support of John McCain weeks ago, and yet for many, it doesn’t appear as though people actually believe him.

Mike Huckabee understands the differences, which is why Huckabee supports McCain publicly, where it really matters.

posted at 7:41 am on May 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

From Mike Huckabee himself:

On another note, I was very disturbed by a column by Robert Novak that quoted some “anonymous source” in saying that while I strongly supported Senator McCain, I thought that maybe America “deserves Obama,” as if to say that I secretly hoped he won.

Where do people dream up this stuff? Forget the “anonymous” sources—there’s nothing anonymous about my stand and here it is. We don’t “deserve” Obama—we DESERVE a President with the character, convictions, experience, and wisdom to see the problems we face and try to lead us to solve them. We deserve a President who truly loves this country and from whom there is no doubt as to his respect for Faith, Family, and the kind of Freedom that those before us have given their lives to pass on to us. John McCain meets that criteria and that’s why I am campaigning for him and not hoping for Obama. The nonsense that I want Obama to win this year so I can run in 2012 is absurd. I love my country more than my own ambition. So let the record and truth be clear. And let the “anonymous” sources either show the courage to stand up and be accountable for their comments or shut up and leave commentary to people who aren’t afraid of their own shadow.

Source

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM

This will win the election for Mack. After all, the close-minded single issue voters on the far right are the ones that screwed the rest of us conservatives during the primaries. They will jump on-board with the military and senior citizen vote, while the vast majority of conservatives that want illegals out and oil drilling to start get SCREWED.

Maybe I’ll vote for Obama after all… I’d take four years of hell to get a real conservative in the White House in 2012.

cannonball on May 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I predict 550 posts and one banning in this thread.

TexasDan on May 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

They are birds of a feather.

Maxx on May 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM

The problem is that this had been long speculated and it would bring much the social conservative leadership to him.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I don’t know who floats these stupid rumors but the Huckster has no chance of being VP. McCain would lose every independent voter he was going to get. While some repubs/conservatives like Huck most voters think he’s a buffoon in a long line of nerdy repub wannabes.

If McCain is to become president he has to get a sizable chunk of independent and Hispanic voters. At this point I have no idea who he is going to pick but it’s not Huck.

patrick neid on May 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM

If Obama was smart (jury is still out) he would pick Gov. Joe Manchin (WV) as his VP running mate. Democrats have not won a presidential election without carrying WV since 1961. As it stands, Joe Manchin has the highest approval rating of any governor in the nation (80%).

Obama will lose WV tomorrow, but if he gets the nomination (99% sure), it would be strategic for him to pick Manchin.

Just say’n.

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

I will consider it.

frankj on May 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Throwing in the Huckster might just be too much for any consrvative to handle.

awake on May 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Huck PAC is founded on the principles that make America great: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Our Republican Party embodies these ideas and is best suited to lead America forward.

Huck PAC is committed to helping Republicans regain control of the House and Senate, regain a majority of governorships and elect John McCain as the 44th President of the United States.

Huck PAC will support Republican candidates who are passionate advocates for tax reform, a strong national defense, real border security, life, the family, less government and individual liberty.

Huck PAC will identify candidates who hold firm to these principles, promote their campaigns and financially support their efforts.

How can any honest conservative criticize Mike Huckabee at this point? It’s hard to imagine how he could be doing anything more than what he is already doing to champion the conservative cause.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:35 PM

More than a few people will be holding their noses regardless of who McCain chooses as his VP nominee. You might as well be entertained while you practice olfactory obstruction.

The McCain campaign really needs to vet Huckabee’s sermons. The last thing I want to see is a constant loop of Huckabee saying, “Gosh darn, America.”

rw on May 12, 2008 at 2:35 PM

“MITT!!! For gods sakes PICK MITT!!! It MAKES SENSE!! WAY more sense than HUCKABEE!!! For every vote they get they’ll lose two!!!”

Yeah, goota make the GOP ticket a complete Democrat one!

Mitt Romney is NO CONSERVATIVE! Anyone who believes he is has no credibility because they obviusly have terrible, terrible judgment.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM

McCain can’t be that stupid. Again only one word is needed to prove that Huckabee would be a disaster on any political ticket and that word is……sermons.

sheryl on May 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:35 PM

You’re joking, right? A smoking ban? Raising taxes? Giving benefits to illegals? Being soft on crime? Saying opposition to McCain’s amnesty is partially driven by racism?

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Repubs must really want to lose bad…. As a conservative and evangelical, I will never, ever, ever, ever, vote for a ticket with Huckabigot on it.

Think_b4_speaking on May 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM

NSFW

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Oh, I should also say that Huck is a horrible VP pick.

That being said, it’s important to speculate who Obama’s VP is to offset their qualities. In many ways, it’s better to let Obama pick his VP first to gauge the GOP options.

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Absolutely NO!. I’ll vote for McCain due to Iraq, but if Huckleberry’s on the ticket, I’ll go back to voting libertarian as a protest.

rbj on May 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM

They are birds of a feather.

Maxx on May 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

No, Huck may actually make Juan McAmnesty “get it” regarding securing the border. Huckabee “gets it“…follow the link.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Doesn’t change my vote

FOR CHUCK BALDWIN – Constitution Party.

stenwin77 on May 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Cranky old bastard’s people are way off if they think Huckabee is the “prominent Christian” that is going to get the southern evangelicals to support McCain. Cranky old bastard needs a running mate who is, without a doubt, a true conservative. Huckabee is as much of a liberal moonbat as McCain and all the losers who support him this year.

highhopes on May 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Wow. I feel bad bashing Huck, he seems a genuinely nice dude and all but damn.

Obama is drawing people in and the Republicans are pushing people away. Or it seems that way to me. This party needs an enima.

Dash on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM

But still, it’s speculation. Unsourced, anonymous speculation, at that.

And if McCain were going after social-cons, why not a former candidate that did well with them (kinda surprisingly) in Giuliani?

And for the record, many people have been long-speculated as topping a McCain veep list. I don’t put too much weight on this article. Although I’m as anxious as anyone at whom the veep might be, even though it’s not really that important.

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

How many Presidential candidates actually wrote a response to a Hot Air post?

Only one that I know of

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I’ve been trying hard to defend McCain as the least worst choice, and suggesting that we should actively back his candidacy, not just hold our noses. However, as a very strong religious conservative, making Huckabee the VP choice might just change my mind entirely. I’m not sure I could even hold my nose and vote for that ticket, let alone promote it. I really, really don’t want Obama as President, but, yuck, I would have to vote for McCain and Huckabee to stop it?

Buford Gooch on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

If this is true, I will have an even harder time pulling the lever for McCain.

Reaganite84 on May 12, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I’m beginning to think the DEMS pulled an Operation Chaos on us and that’s how we ended up with John McCain. McCain, Huckabee, and Ron Paul were tied for last place in the GOP field as far as I was concerned and now I’ll be damned if two of the three might be on the ticket together. What’s left for Ron Paul? Secretary of Health & Human Services?

Oink on May 12, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I guess this means that Lindsey Graham, Arlen Specter and Dick Lugar turned him down.

Cicero43 on May 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Exit question: Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

Great analysis. Horrible Hillary idea. You’ll likely have a chance to vote for her in an upcoming NY Governor’s race though.

dedalus on May 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM

What a nightmarish scenario. On the one side you’d have the Muslim apostate Obama and on the other, a vice-presidential candidate who wears his extreme fundamentalist Christianity on his sleeve.

If McCain goes that route I’ll eschew Hillary, but I’ll wait to see what the Libertarians have to offer.

Annar on May 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM

How about Dennis Miller for VP? I can dig that.

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Something smells fishy. Especially considering this article from HuffPo; Young Evangelicals Abandoning GOP Over Iraq, Economy. I don’t trust the source of either report.

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Uh huh.

ov. Mike Huckabee on Thursday heaped criticism upon immigration legislation in the Arkansas Legislature, describing it as “inflammatory . . . race-baiting and demagoguery.” He also challenged the Christian values of its main sponsor.

Huckabee said the bill, seeking to forbid public assistance and voting rights to undocumented immigrants, “inflames those who are racist and bigots and makes them think there’s a real problem. But there’s not.”

Hotline:

Huckabee, who supports guest worker programs and is not an immigration hard-liner, said he believes opposition to comprehensive immigration reform is ‘irrational in many cases.’ And he did not discount the causative factor of racism.

“If I were to say that some of it is driven by just sheer racism, I think I would be telling you the truth. I’ve had conversations with people that and it became very evident that what they really didn’t like was that people didn’t look like them, didn’t talk like them, didn’t celebrate ht holidays like they do, and they just had a problem with it. Now, that is not to say that everyone who is really fired out about immigration is racist. They’re not.”

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

What a pi$$ poor political year.

saiga on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Many evangelical leaders threatened to sit home if Giuliani got the nod.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Or Tom Selleck? He’d wooooooo the pants off of the left leaning female voters.

The ‘Stach has power.

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Maybe we can get some Dan Qualye stupidness thing to stick to Huckabee. He is practically a retard. We just need to catch him teaching some kids.

PrezHussein on May 12, 2008 at 2:46 PM

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Good effort, but I wouldn’t bother. Huckabee : Red Pill :: Obama : College Students.

Of course, Huckabee : me :: oil: water.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I’ve interviewed Gov Huckabee on a few occasions and have found him intelligent, honest, and refreshing.

posted at 12:28 pm on May 8, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

SECOND LOOK AT NOT VOTING!

its vintage duh on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Paul Weyrich has had an almost terminal case of MDS since 2000. Surely McCain and his advisors aren’t stupid enough to think that picking the Huckster for veep would win enough religious conservatives (who hate McCain with a passion) to offset the economic conservative fury?

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:47 PM

What’s the point? Many liberals found Buckley intelligent and honest. That doesn’t mean they’d vote for him.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

It occurred to me this morning that Since Bob Barr is running as a Libertaian. That will split the conservatives in two factions. This will enable Hillery to run a 4th party.

I will vote Barr.

TheSitRep on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Huckabee won’t be VP.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I guess all those folks from Ann Coulter to all of the CPAC invitees who were cheering Romney’s address aren’t conservatives then.

TheGoblinKing on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Huckabee won’t be VP.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Huckabee will be P.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Many evangelical leaders threatened to sit home if Giuliani got the nod.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Dobson and Coulter led that charge. Idiots.

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

What a pi$$ poor political year.

saiga on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I think I might just stick my head in the sand and start paying attention again in 2011.

Oink on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I’ve said it more than a few times, but McCain needs a VP with solid private sector business qualifications and/or some name recognition (celebrity isn’t bad either).

Huck is not that person.

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Huckabee won’t be VP.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Very, very true. Because if McCain doesn’t pick him, he can’t be VP. And if McCain does pick him, he’ll lose and Huck won’t be VP. Either way, win-win.

TheGoblinKing on May 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Not true. College students don’t think Obama is prophesied to be president. They just want him to be.

Allahpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM

(yelling) Serenity now. Serenity Now.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM

These kinds of stories are exactly why I haven’t made any contributions to the RNC or McCain campaign just yet.

sheryl on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

You write in anyones name except McCain and you lose all rights to complain for the next 4 years, when the Democrats ram liberal agendas down your throat with the House, Senate and White House controlled by them..

Liberal legislation, liberal judges federal courts and supreme court, foreign and domestic policies, you give up you rights to complain when you give up your vote.

Chakra Hammer on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Dang. I hope they can’t retroactively dock my SAT scores.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Huckabee will be P.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

A little harsh there, don’t you think?

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

TheGoblinKing on May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I won’t say the Romney supporters aren’t conservatives, but since you bring up CPAC, how about all of those conservatives at CPAC cheering for Huckabee?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Huckabee will be P.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

And I’ll grow wings and fly to Europe for a summit with the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.

Allahpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM

No love letters yet from Obama supporters that the Living God told them to write to you?

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Only one that I know of…

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM

So? That doesn’t change his politics.

If Huck’s the VP, my mind will finally be made up about McCain. I won’t vote for him.

Esthier on May 12, 2008 at 2:52 PM

If this is true, I will have an even harder time pulling the lever for McCain.

yup.

j0 on May 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Mark Sanford. Actually competent and not into class warfare.

Bob Riley of AL. Great governor, very southern and religious. Nice family too.

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Huckabee will be President.

Do you like that better?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Are you sure? I’ve met several college students who worship him. They mention JFK in the same breath. It may not be biblical, but it borders on it.

natesnake on May 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

This announcement is a test balloon.

RWLA on May 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Chakra Hammer on May 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I voted the Republican ticket in 2000 and 2004. I have been completely disappointed again and again and again. Amnesty was the straw.

We have EVERY right to complain.

Right now, I’m complaining RIGHTFULLY SO, that all 3 candidates stick to high Heaven.

stenwin77 on May 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM

I would love to see McCain-Giuliani. Does anybody think they could win?

I like it because it would get Dobson and Weyrich to drink a nice cup of STFU.

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM

This is the one thing that could cost McCain my vote. There are limits that cannot be breached even when one considers the dreadful alternative.

phronesis on May 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM

As you can see, RedPill is still delusional saying Huck is going to be POTUS instead of any of the people being nominated. God told him, you know.

Huck as VP…I dont think it will happen since that would be incredibly stupid…but we are talking McCain here.

Anyway, in a sick way, I hope it does happen that McCain puts Huckster on the ticket. This party needs an anema and a Huckster running mate would ensure Obama gets in as every attack on Obama would be met with “well your own VP candidate supported that when he was governor of Arkansas”. It would be fun to watch. Since I cant stand McCain or Huck, let the two RINO liars get together so we can kill two sh*tbirds with one stone.

But, again, I dont think it will happen.

Roger Waters on May 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Who else will be joining me in not voting?

corona on May 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Many evangelical leaders threatened to sit home if Giuliani got the nod.

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Well, all those Evangelical leaders didn’t help Huck out that much. True, there have been elections won and lost based on Evangelical support (or not) but this election, they didn’t help.

Eh…I’m sticking with my original prediction for a while now…McCain’s veep will be Governor Crist. All signs have been pointing to him.

JetBoy on May 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I could hold my nose and vote for McCain, but not for Huckabee.

ctmom on May 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM

This announcement is a test balloon.

In that case, time to take out the pellet guns and pop this sucker.

Slublog on May 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM

amerpundit on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Mike explained why he made those statements on immigration during the election campaign. Today, he arguably has the best immigration position of all the candidates. He has introduced a plan to secure the border without amnesty. I can understand the concern on this, but everything the anti-illegal immigration proponents have been calling for Huckabee has now adopted.

apacalyps on May 12, 2008 at 2:59 PM

With the wild cast of characters in the Presidential race at this time, I’m waiting for the return of Ross Perot.

Buford Gooch on May 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM

“Surely McCain and his advisors aren’t stupid enough to think that picking the Huckster for veep would win enough religious conservatives (who hate McCain with a passion) to offset the” (social and) “economic conservative fury?”
funky chicken
Well, these are the same asshats who put Juan Hernadez on the McCain team and encouraged him to talk to La Raza in July. I think they’re as dumb as bricks.
If this happens, it sure will make it easier for me to not vote for McCain. Maybe I will write in Mortimer Snerd and Ma Frickert.

Christine on May 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Huckabee will be President.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

You’ve shown you have a sense of humor, so
I had to tease you just a little bit.

Do you like that better?

Can’t say that I do. Like Esthier, phronesis, and probably others, this would be the straw. McCain’s got me by a thread. Huckabee as VP pick severs that with a machete.

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Who else will be joining me now in writing in Hillary this year?

I’m in. Compared to the other two bozos, she’s practically a moderate. Has Utah ever gone Democratic before, I wonder?

Nichevo on May 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM