Paulnuts to run wild at the convention, leading to 7% chaos

posted at 8:09 am on May 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The Paulnuts have not gone away quietly, even as their star fades from the electoral sky. Andrew Malcom reports that supporters of Ron Paul plan to disrupt the Republican convention in St. Paul with a “revolt” against John McCain. While Paul has had a little success undermining the process of delegate selection in Nevada, Malcolm provides little other evidence that Paul will have any significant presence in September, and unfortunately gives life to debunked analysis:

Virtually all the nation’s political attention in recent weeks has focused on the compelling state-by-state presidential nomination struggle between two Democrats and the potential for party-splitting strife over there.

But in the meantime, quietly, largely under the radar of most people, the forces of Rep. Ron Paul have been organizing across the country to stage an embarrassing public revolt against Sen. John McCain when Republicans gather for their national convention in St. Paul at the beginning of September. …

Just take a look at recent Republican primary results, largely overlooked because McCain locked up the necessary 1,191 delegates long ago. In Indiana, McCain got 77% of the recent Republican primary vote, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney, who’ve each long ago quit and endorsed McCain, still got 10% and 5% respectively, while Paul took 8%.

On the same May 6 in North Carolina, McCain received less than three-quarters of Republican votes (74%), while Huckabee got 12%, Paul 7% and Alan Keyes and No Preference took a total of 7%. Pennsylvania was even slightly worse for the GOP’s presumptive nominee, who got only 73% to a combined 27% for Paul (16%) and Huckabee (11%).

As Politico.com’s Jonathan Martin noted recently, at least some of these results are temporary protest votes in meaningless primaries built on lingering affection for Huckabee and suspicion of McCain.

And as Congressional Quarterly noted in response, the pattern is nothing different than anything seen in any other race. McCain has been winning meaningless primaries by the same percentages that George Bush won them in 2000, and McCain significantly outperformed Paul in the 2000 races. At that time, no one seriously thought that Bush had an insurgent problem with McCainiacs, because he didn’t — and now McCain doesn’t have a problem with Ronulans, either. Winning 8% of the vote in a state where McCain didn’t campaign and where McCain-supporting Republicans crossed over to keep Hillary in the race isn’t impressive, it’s pathetic.

One look at the delegate count should make the scope of the nascent revolution clear. Paul has won all of 26 delegates. Even if he wangled a few dozen more through manipulations in caucus states like Nevada, at best he’ll come up with 100 delegates in a 2,200-delegate convention. That’s not a revolution, it’s a lunatic fringe.

For some reason, normally sensible people like John Derbyshire continue to put their hope for electoral victory into a candidate who consorted with and exploited racists and anti-Semites for years in order to bolster his political standing. Thankfully, that 7% Revolution will have no impact on the convention or Republican politics. Next time the libertarians want a hero, perhaps they will vet him or her more carefully.

Comments

Why. The. Hell. Are. You. Here.

You just smeared all conservatives as immature.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I was only referring to certain conservatives in the same way that HA posters only refer to certain Paul supporters.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM

ericdondero on May 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

I googled your name and came up with this story of your personal experience with Ron Paul.

Great stuff – thanks!

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Thanks SO MUCH for writing this, Eric, and posting it, Buy Danish. I will be taking a few hundred copies to the state convention and passing them around.

RushBaby on May 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM

This is the problem with Ron Paul threads: All the name callers come out of the woodwork and lay about them with the surgical precision of a sledge hammer. Almost nobody actually debates any actual issues. I think Ed and AP do this just for kicks, knowing that nothing substantive will come from it. It’s just sparring material used to manifest the immaturity of conservatives.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM

I will be cutting and running from this thread too, but before I do I am compelled to point out that there was very substantive information about Ron Paul posted here:

ericdondero on May 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM

and here:

ericdondero on May 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Your silence is deafening.

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Do you mean the kind of name calling like B. Hussain Obama and McShamnesty or lunatic?

AprilOrit on May 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM

How is B. Hussain Obama name calling? Isn’t that his name?

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Dont Put Off The Ron Paul Backers, they can do more damage than you think.

They have been showing up heavily at the county conventions, which choose delegates to go to the state conventions, which choose who will be a delegate for the National. In cases Like Missouri, they took nearly 33% of the county elections, so that means that probably 1/3 of the delegates for MCcain will support him by casting the vote, but what will happen when someone who is for the Iraq War tries to make a speech? whats to stop those delegates to jeer and give cat-calls? What will the Media Portray when MCcain gets jeered at over the war at his own convention?

clover_dave on May 12, 2008 at 11:18 AM

ericdondero on May 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM

and here:

ericdondero on May 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Your silence is deafening.

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Nobody takes David Brock that seriously either.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Mad Con, the big tent isn’t quite big enough for the Paulbots now that they don’t have CDS to motivate them to be a part of the team.

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM

…the Obama supporters come out of the woodwork…

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 10:42 AM

My guess is that the most of the Obama supporters on HotAir are really trolls. We know that the left reads HotAir, so what’s to stop them from commenting here, too?

I find it hard to believe that any conservative could vote for a Marxist. Both Clinton and Obama voted against the confirmations of both Roberts and Alito. No conservative in their right mind could vote for Clinton or Obama. This election ain’t just about the next four years. It’s about control of the Supreme Court.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Dont Put Off The Ron Paul Backers, they can do more damage than you think.

clover_dave on May 12, 2008 at 11:18 AM

They are putting themselves off, dave. And appeasement never works, right? The problem is that the GOP has been giving these folks a respectful ear for a long time even though they have ranted about gold, Jews, brown people, and protectionism for years.

Sadly, we may get a replay of 1968, but at the GOP convention this year. I hope all the frothing MDS folks enjoy it.

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

the interesting thing about Derbyshire is that he was all over Rev. Wright, declared Obama finished over it, etc. Yet when Paul has arguably worse attached to him with his Name on it unlike Obama.

a portion of Paul supporters only hear and see what they want to.

jp on May 12, 2008 at 10:20 AM

yep

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 11:36 AM

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I agree, however there are some paul voters who are well meaning and basically politically tone deaf and ignorant. Since Paul hasn’t been challenged and exposed for what he is, they really think he is the only “true conservative” and “like the founding fathers”.. its sad and frustrating all at the same time.

jp on May 12, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I too hope that the Paulnutz shake up the Repub convention. They deserve it, especially McPain.
The Demos have Nader and the Kos kids, but I doubt Ralph will send out ‘the troops’ like Paul will.
I still see Ron Paul signs, they don’t give up.

Christine on May 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM

LOL. I thought you were supporting my comment. Guess I’m asleep today. The Ron Paul nut cut and ran– all EMO as you called it. Was copying him/her/it.

(Tks. Danish)

JiangxiDad on May 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

You are talking about the fringe of Ron Paul’s supporters. I’m a libertarian, and I’ve never bashed Jews or brown people, and never advocated protectionism. I do however support the Bill of Rights and states’ rights and freedom, and Ron Paul is the only candidate interested in those things, so that’s why I support him – not for the other reasons you cite.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I still see Ron Paul signs, they don’t give up.

Christine on May 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM

So the USA “deserves” Obama, right? MDS = Paultard

funky chicken on May 12, 2008 at 11:56 AM

maybe you haven’t, but Ron Paul has.

the most important thing POTUS has power over is FP and Paul is 100% in bed with Michael Moore and the far left moveon.org types. complete moral relativist.

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:10 PM

jp on May 12, 2008 at 11:37 AM

It is impossible to reconcile the flaws that you see in Paul with the flaws that I see in McCain. They are entirely subjective, and I assure you that I feel that my issues are no less important than you feel yours are. So therein lies the frustration you feel, and the frustration that I feel. The issue that should be discussed is how we get ourselves a decent candidate for 2012, since 2008 is now a lost cause.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:12 PM

maybe you haven’t, but Ron Paul has.

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:10 PM

That’s a really ignorant thing to say. Link or slink.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I can hear him now, “John Adams is a Monarchist, worse than King George. His Alien and Seditions act has taken away our liberty, blah, blah…”

jp on May 12, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Paul probably would have been against the Alien and Sedition acts. They were much debated during the election of 1800. Jefferson thought most of them to be unconstitutional and pardoned individuals convicted of them.

dedalus on May 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM

dedalus on May 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Jefferson never overturned the law as POTUS, its still on teh books. He just used it politically, for his own gain.

Jefferson actually governed in the Hamiltonian view of the Executive more so than what is thought to be the Jeffersonian view.

still, no one has answered: Which is worse: Alien Seditions Act during War Time. Or the Patriot Act during War time, in both cases our Enemy is living within, hiding in the shadows and not wearing a uniform. Which policy is more supposedly “Anti-Liberty”

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM

for that matter, since the Seditions Act are still on the books and part of federal law. Why isn’t paul speaking out against them and proposing legislation to overturn them???

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

That’s a really ignorant thing to say. Link or slink.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM

look through the Hotair archives, starting with newslettergate and go back. Then check out eric Dondero’s links and check out his site and archives. much of his anti-war lies come directly from Moveon.org

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM

The Alien Enemies Act is still on the books. The Sedition Act was the more insidious legislation and was one of the 3 Acts that expired or was repealed. It wouldn’t likely survive a Supreme Court challenge today.

dedalus on May 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I think people are giving the Ron Paul nuts more credit then they deserve. They’re not much of a threat. The real replay of ’68 will be from all the leftists protesting outside of the convention…..many of them are eager for violence.

shiba03 on May 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM

McCain/Paul because 2 egos are better than one!

SouthernGent on May 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM

jp on May 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Not my job to back up your silly claims. You said it, you back it up. Either you prove that he’s ONE HUNDRED PERCENT IN BED WITH MICHAEL MOORE, as you put it, or you’re full of it.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

You, sir, are a troll. You’ve been supplied with links and information to answer your challenge, and you have ignored them. Read them, or shut the hell up. You are making yourself a prime example of why people don’t want to vote for Paul, when he has fanatical acolytes like yourself.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Maybe we’ll see a “real” Black Sunday and get to watch the Paulunitics crash the blimp into the convention center! Bruce Derns character was definitely a Paulbot.

dmann on May 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Troll? LMAO. How appropriate that you would launch into the name calling when you get frustrated. How immature. But I wasn’t even talking to you, so who’s the troll here?

I’ve been posting on this forum for quite a while now, and I’ve done nothing but contribute to this thread. Maybe you should go look up the definition of troll. While you’re at it, once you clean the froth from your mouth, please show me where jp posted links for me.

You’re nothing but a demagogue name caller and your opinion is worthless, as are your powers of persuasion.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Gee, you still haven’t read the links supplied, or debated the points or merits of those links supplied. Instead, you’re attacking me for pointing out that you haven’t done so. Yup. Troll.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Gee, you ignore the fact that you call names and then get defensive, thus proving my earlier premise, which by the way you ignored, that people like you give conservatives a bad name because you cannot argue the point without hurling insults like a liberal.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I think his name should be changed to Ad Hominem.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I think his name should be changed to Ad Hominem.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM

By the way, demagogue, I did read the link posted by Buy Danish about eric condero. But I’m sorry to tell you this, anecdotal opinion is not proof positive. Sorry, you FAIL.

Keep calling names, though, it definitely crushes your already crumbling credibility.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:41 PM

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

This is a particularly odd choice of posts, given that your debut here consisted of heavily spamming that first thread with ‘troll’ accusations against me.

James on May 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM

The Paulnuts are trying to get national delegates elected at the Hawaii State Repub Convention next weekend. In Hawaii we have not “voted for” a candidate yet. We just caucused to send people to the state convention and in the caucuses, we did not have to declare a candidate preference. in the past week or two I have received several emails reminding me that Paul is still in the race. So dont underestimate the impact of these zealots.

HawaiiLwyr on May 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

James on May 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Wrong, that was not my debut. Nice try. Care to visit the archives and see my post history? Go for it, since you seem to have such a hardon for me.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Eh, no and no…if I had such a ‘hardon’ for you, I wouldn’t have found your earlier efforts so forgetable.

James on May 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

James on May 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Wrong again, and wrong again. And yet you hold a grudge for so long…

LOL methinks the lady doth protest too much.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:04 PM

James on May 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

BTW, you’re off topic. Troll.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:04 PM

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Your web-fu is weak.

James on May 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Ad Hominem on May 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Hey look! Cracks at someone’s sexuality! That’s classy non-trolling right there!

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM

As I drove home the back way one night I gasped out loud when I saw a huge 6′ X 8′ Vote Ron Paul sign posted on a neighbors fence. That was way back prior to the primary.

It’s still there. It’s not going away!

P.S.

ericdondero on May 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Thanks for your posts, Mr. Dondero.

Domino on May 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM

James on May 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

fossten contributed a lot of great comments to this post, and fossten is no troll.

In my opinion, it’s the supporters of Hillary! and Obama that we should question, not the supporters of a Republican candidate!

We don’t have a Republican nominee yet. We won’t until the convention. A lot of people would prefer a nominee other than McCain. Let’s stop the Republican infighting here at HotAir. Let’s let fair and open competition continue until the convention, and then support the party’s nominee from then through the election.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Your web-fu is weak.

James on May 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Got anything to contribute that’s on topic, or are you still obsessing over me?

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Never happen. Conservatives here tend to act like liberals and start the name calling when somebody disagrees with them.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

fossten is no troll.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

If it please the court…

How immature. But I wasn’t even talking to you…

once you clean the froth from your mouth…your opinion is worthless

Sorry, you FAIL.

since you seem to have such a hardon for me.

LOL methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Such rational debate. Plus, submitting points to an ideological discussion like evolution versus intelligent design doesn’t really prove anything.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

fossten, keep in mind that it’s “Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness”, and that there is a reason that it’s in that order. Sometimes, libertarians and liberals get confused and think that liberty comes before life, and forget that you can’t have liberty nor pursue happiness without life.

Rick on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

That’s a fair request. However, I don’t believe that Ron Paul supporters who are trying to sneak their own delegates in and disrupt the convention really fits the bill as “fair and open competition.”

As for supporting the party’s nominee, Ron Paul refuses to endorse John McCain, so what incentive will his supporters have to try and get McCain elected? We already have one guy here who will vote Obama in lieu of Paul….

JohnTant on May 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Says you. But your quote mining and cherrypicking shows that you have no credibility. I could very easily show you to be a total buffoon by doing the same thing with some selected quotes of yours. It’s fascinating how rabid you get when somebody confronts you about your name calling. You really don’t take criticism well.

Frankly, I don’t care what you think of me. Your broad brush tactics are amateurish and useless.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM

You, sir, are a troll.

shut the hell up.

fanatical acolytes like yourself.

I think his name should be changed to Ad Hominem.

Yup. Troll.

MadisonConservative

Rational debate, indeed.

Case closed.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM

John McCain makes Ron Paul look like James Madison by comparison.

If you want to perpetuate the minority status of the Republican Party, vote for awful candidates like John McCain, Tom Delay, Dennis Hastert, George Voinovich, anyone else from the Gang of 15, Keating 5, Neocon clique, etc.

I would vote for McCain if he was remotely acceptable, but he isn’t even close to meeting that low benchmark.

molonlabe28 on May 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Says you.

Case closed.

The internet argument master has won another furious battle.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

On planet RonPaul, the choice is between Professor Science Ron Paul and the dastardly McCain!

On planet Earth, the choice is between the dastardly McCain and the even more dastardly Obama.

Thus, the communications difficulties between those on RonPaul and those on Earth.

I wonder what a Paulian does when the store is out of their favorite soda? Demand a recount? Insist to the cashier that he’s buying it anyway, whether they have it or not?

Yeah, people, the choice sucks. Suck it up.

Merovign on May 12, 2008 at 3:16 PM

three cheers for Merovign!

Tacitus on May 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM

The internet argument master has won another furious battle.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Classic quote mining and taking out of context. You definitely are the smartest kid on the short bus.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Is fossten whining about Ad Hominems again?

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 8:29 AM
Complains about the use of the phrase “lunatic fringe”.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 9:05 AM
Disputes personal anecdote made by sister of Ron Paul supporter.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 9:36 AM
Laughs at commenter who told of his 2 tours of duty in South Korea and complains about name-calling.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM
Suggests that JetBoy is “delusional”.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Whines that JianxiDad has “cut and run” and asserts this is “typical” while ignoring Obama supporter JianxiDad was mimicking..
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Whines about name-calling.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Opines that a previous comment was a “really ignorant thing to say”.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM
Calls someone’s claims “silly”.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM
Brags about how much he has contributed to this blog, calls commenter a “demagogue name caller”
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Reveals a persecution complex when he states that another commenter has a “hardon” [SIC] for him.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:04 PM
Refers to James as “the lady” as he misquotes Shakespeare.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Claims James is obsessing over him.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM
yet sanctimonious speech about “name-calling”.
fossten on May 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Implies that a commenter is a rabid buffoon who uses “amateurish” tactics.

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Exit question: Has anyone actually met a sane, rational, informed Ron Paul supporter?

I haven’t. I’ve met numerous supporters of his, but they seem to break down thusly:

60% Bats&^t crazy.
25% Sane but not rational.
15% Sane and rational but poorly informed.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM

15% Sane and rational but poorly informed.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM

about right and this is the group that drives me the most nuts ironically.

jp on May 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Oh, that’s just cherry-picking. I’m sure he meant another poster had a “hardon” for him in the nicest of ways.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM

…Has anyone actually met a sane, rational, informed Ron Paul supporter?…
Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM

How many oxymoron’s are we allowed in one sentence?

right2bright on May 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Rick on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Sorry but I have to chime in now. This has got to be one of the most wishy washy stupidest things I have ever read. I side with Patrick Henry over you. It is that kind of thinking that keeps despots in power all over the world. That is mediocrity and complacency. Life without Liberty is not life at all. It is death. Didn’t Shakespeare’s Caesar say “A coward dies a thousand times before his death; The valiant ne’er taste of death but once?”

LevStrauss on May 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM

How many oxymoron’s are we allowed in one sentence?

right2bright on May 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Well, I suppose it’s possible that a sane, rational, informed Rontard exists- much in the same way that it’s possible that Bigfoot exists.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 4:25 PM

that it’s possible that Bigfoot exists.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Bigfoot in Pauls big mouth.

right2bright on May 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I had posted about this on Michelle’s blog once before. My husband and I are precinct delegates for MN’s infamous 5th district. Before we couldn’t get enough GOP delegates to fill the bill, but then we noticed after our caucus (MN Primary), when the nominations came up next convention there were huge lines and tons of people we had never seen before. They were all Paulites who had organized before and their plan was to use our party to get their people elected as delegates to the state convention so they could broker the convention. What these idiots don’t realize is that McCain has the nomination and they aren’t going to change that. They are just going to be relegated to the back of the convention unless the party makes some kind of rule saying they can’t come to the convention at all.

foxforce91 on May 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM

…Has anyone actually met a sane, rational, informed Ron Paul supporter?…
Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I’ll give my sister sane and rational, but she is obviously woefully uninformed.

James on May 12, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Those aren’t quotes, they are opinions and distortions. Your editorials are false and out of context. Keep up the good work, Mary Mapes would be proud.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM

[SIC]

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Wow. You are playing the internet spelling nazi game now? Nice. Very mature. Even 12-year-olds know that that’s lame.

fossten on May 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Life without Liberty is not life at all.

LevStrauss on May 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM

That’s not what I wrote – why don’t you pay attention before you decide to “chime in” and grace us with your presence, chief. I clearly stated that there is a reason that life comes before the other two. Your comment is the ignorant one. What liberties are you being deprived of? The one where you can choose to go to the public library to research bomb-making without being flagged for doing it? I’m not willing to sacrifice my family’s safety because people like you are yelling “give me liberty or give me death” to the current government. Give me a break. Typical Paulnut.

Rick on May 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM

fossten

What I wrote did not appear in either quotation marks or italics, and I’m quite certain nobody was dumb enough to think that they were your own words, so what are you whining about exactly?

My Fossten Notes© summary of your comments are accurate representations of your commentary, but if you think feel that they are unfair distortions the onus is on you to explain exactly what I got wrong.

Buy Danish on May 12, 2008 at 5:47 PM

He will not fit throught the door with his big ego.

KBird on May 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Another ‘important’ ars in the run. Lots of idiots to choose from this year.

Entelechy on May 12, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Rick on May 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Well lets see here genius. As it stands now the government can silence your freedom of speech with a “National Security Letter” which it has been found to abuse recently. Sneak and peak searches and no more habeas corpus. Eminent domain. Warrants are passe and all oversight is done internally, by the same kind of people who committed perjury and told us Saddam could attack us in 45 minutes. Of course with the warrantless wiretapping program they tried to seek congressional approval and were told that wouldn’t fly, so they just said that they could do it anyway, read Alberto’s first press conference on it for insight into that one. They say that they hope they don’t have to attack Iran but they are lying because they turned down any cooperation from Iran after 9/11 when they were helping against Al Qaeda. That war money for all these unnecessary ones are coming out of our children’s pockets and it will be on this new generation’s back and probably generations afterward if we are as ignorant and complacent as previous ones, but that is understandable for them at least since they were educated on three TV channels and most people still get their information from a narrow range of sources, usually biased to their liking. Then you have quite possibly the Real ID being forced down our throats, surveillance cameras going up all over the place, small town USA getting tanks for “homeland security”, which is code for pork. We have some 400 Mormons displaced from a fake phone call and many of the kids might not be reunited with their family. All of this is the complacency that I am talking about. People are too busy looking at the Dems, who are always useless anyway, instead of introspection as a party. The Dems didn’t beat us in 2006, we were just that horrible, and continuing to make the same mistakes will yield similar results. The people that agreed with Clinton on foreign policy and apparently warrants as well should not be making decisions for Republican administrations but they currently do.

Let’s also see what’s coming down the pike. Deficit spending, plus bipartisan socialism, plus bipartisan over regulation, plus free trade, plus amnesty equals an economy, a job market, and a currency that will have plenty problems competing against other countries. This country is going to hell and people like you, with either your cowardice to admit fault or ignorance to reality are part of the problem. “But…but…Clinton” never worked on me these past eight years because I have always been a Conservative. Everyone who rationalized these criminals in the white house are to blame for the European Socialism that is to come, whether it comes from Republican or Democratic administration is becoming a coin flip.

LevStrauss on May 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM

7% chaos

Hey…………….!

Seven Percent Solution on May 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Bigfoot is much more likely to exist, and any thread associated with Bigfoot is likely to be far more intelligent.

jdkchem on May 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Could I ask that the mods please close the comments? It’s obvious by now that almost nobody here is willing to do anything to Ron Paul supporters except mock them and call names like third graders.

Dark-Star on May 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Dark-Star on May 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Wow. Just like Democratic Underground. If you don’t agree with me, you should be stopped from talking at all.

MadisonConservative on May 12, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Dark-Star on May 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Hahahahahahah, pretty pathetic. Would you like some cheese with that whine. Poor baby.

Oldnuke on May 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM

LevStrauss on May 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Off the rocker, but i’m sure the kool aide taste good.

jp on May 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM

err, do you mean Ronald Reagan…and all the way back to George Washington for that matter on “wiretaps”

jp on May 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Dark-Star on May 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

We calls ’em like we sees ’em.

Besides, of what use are the Rontards and their cultish devotion to the Bircheresque Crank aside from being a target of mockery? Answer: None.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Great article and you’re probably right. My guess is that no one will pay them any attention, despite their restless noise and pointless energy.

bayam on May 12, 2008 at 11:40 PM

New mayor says top priority is ridding Carrollton of illegal immigrants
Look for the fight against illegal immigration to intensify in Dallas’ northwest suburbs.
Carrollton’s next mayor, Ron Branson, said Sunday that he’ll begin working immediately to rid the city of illegal immigrants.
His come-from-behind election victory Saturday night coincided with the expected mayoral win in neighboring Farmers Branch by a better-known activist on the same issue: Tim O’Hare.
“Illegal immigration has got to be at the top,” Mr. Branson said. “Every place I went, people wanted to talk about that.”
He said he will create a citizens committee to come up with ideas for driving out illegal immigrants.
And he plans to meet regularly with Mr. O’Hare, who has led Farmers Branch’s efforts to ban property rentals to illegal immigrants.

DfDeportation on May 13, 2008 at 1:07 AM

…That war money for all these unnecessary ones are coming out of our children’s pockets and it will be on this new generation’s back and probably generations afterward if we are as ignorant and complacent as previous ones…We have some 400 Mormons displaced from a fake phone call and many of the kids might not be reunited with their family…
LevStrauss on May 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Dark-Star on May 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Now, what do these two posts have in common?

right2bright on May 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Now, what do these two posts have in common?

right2bright on May 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM

They’re both accurate?

fossten on May 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Dr Nutroots gives me nightmares

Drunk Report on May 13, 2008 at 1:29 PM

LevStrauss on May 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Interesting – and I suppose you think we had it coming on 9/11 too?

Let’s see here:

The National Security Letter (NSL) has been around since 1978 – yes, when Jimbo was in office;

Habeas Corpus has historically been suspended or limited at times of war or following acts of terrorism committed against the U.S. (Civil War, WWII, Oklahoma bombing, and War on Terror). Furthermore, the restrictions you seem so concerned about don’t apply to U.S. Citizens (Hamdi v. Rumsfeld, 542 U.S. 507 (2004)); and, if you are so concerned about non U.S. citizens’ rights who are deemed enemy combatants, this issue has been working its way through the legislative and judicial systems (Habeas Corpus Restoration Act and recent Supreme Court decisions agreeing to hear appeals of detainees regarding habeas corpus);

Emminent Domain – I agree that there is abuse here that needs to be addressed;

Warrants are passe and all oversight is done internally

– you need to be more specific, as that is a very broad and unsubstantiated allegation;

warrantless wiretapping program

– the NSA was authorized by executive order to monitor, without warrants, phone calls, e-mails, Internet activity, and text messaging, and other communication involving any party believed by the NSA to be outside the U.S., even if the other end of the communication lies within the U.S. It applies when the government has a reasonable basis to conclude that one party to the communication is a member of al Qaeda, affiliated with al Qaeda, or a member of an organization affiliated with al Qaeda, or working in support of al Qaeda and that one party to the conversation is outside of the United States. Also, Congress was notified (as required by law) – being that the administration fulfilled its notification obligations by briefing 13 key members of Congress (which included members from both parties) more than a dozen times. Unfortunately, the Dems and their friends at the NY Times decided to politicize this as part of their culture of corruption claims – which apparently you agree with;

– that is a half-truth. You sound like Michael Moore. Let’s be realistic here. Iran has not been our friend since they opted to take our embassy by force and hold our people hostage. They have been trying to undermine us ever since. And to think that Iran’s offer of cooperation after 9/11 was genuine is ridiculous – Iran did it for show. The fact that you are even considering buddying up with Iran, shows that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

As for the rest of your rants, I agree with some, but not all.

That’s just your opinion – I agree that we are headed for troubled times, but Ron Paul is far from being the solution. You can’t ignore the problems going on outside this country – think about how the Cold War would have resulted had we done that then. Taking the Neville Chamberlain approach has shown to do more harm than good. And, taking the “Bushhitler”/America the Imperialist/no rights in America stance is counterproductive, to say the least.

Rick on May 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Oldnuke – would you like some free manners lessons? It is not whining to ask that we stop acting like namecalling schoolyard bullies, something we rail on liberals for doing.

MadisonConservative – Drop the drama and get your head on straight. Wanting an end to the venom and petty mocking of the Paulites is not the same thing as calling for censorship of truly important, deeply-held beliefs.

Hollowpoint – Perhaps for supporting a candidate that is better than the mainstream ones, alias “the Three Stooges”?

Dark-Star on May 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I am not a Paulian, but I am not a McCainian either. The way I see it go Paul, cause the GOP needs to be shook up, it has lost its way big time. McCain is absolutely the worst possible candidate. I am looking to Bob Barr, or maybe I will write-in Fred Thompson this November. I have voted Republican since 1964 but this year there will be none on the ballot.

Dasher on May 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Supreme court judges will probably be a Non sequitur. The only reason libs need a activist judges is to bypass the legislative process because they presently can’t pass the legislation that they want. Hence, appoint judges that will rule in their favor on socialist agendas even if the ruling does not conform to the written law or tramples on state’s rights.

Conservative judges are known for following the rule of law despite their personal feeling and issue rulings conforming to the constitution and why the law was written.

If the election goes as predicted, the the United States will have a democratic congress and senate. Why on earth will they need to appoint activist judges when they can pass into law all their social agendas. I have no doubt that any of the three clowns running, Clinton, Obama, or McCain, will use their veto pen on these bills. Hence, the democrats can pass any legislation they want.

And now for the final irony. The conservative judges will have to uphold these laws, because they know that their job is to uphold the law as written by the legislative branch, not make law.

With this in mind, who do you vote for? McCain or Hillary/Obama. All three of these peanuts share the same pod.

PrettyD_Vicious on May 14, 2008 at 2:03 AM

How did I miss the NOT.

They will not use their veto pen!

PrettyD_Vicious on May 14, 2008 at 2:05 AM

I am not a Paulian, but I am not a McCainian either. The way I see it go Paul

Dasher on May 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM

MadisonConservative on May 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I am not a Paulian, but I am not a McCainian either. The way I see it go Paul…

Dasher on May 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM
MadisonConservative on May 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Classic example of quote mining. [rolls eyes]

fossten on May 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Seejanemom and her merry band of survivalists are endorsing paul

Bradky on May 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM