Huckabee hearts McCain

posted at 7:41 am on May 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Mike Huckabee announced his support of John McCain weeks ago, and yet for many, it doesn’t appear as though people actually believe him. Robert Novak reports that “credible activists” have spread the rumor that Huckabee secretly wants Obama to win as some sort of lesson for the Republicans to learn. Not only does this sound ridiculous, but the report appears based on a Virginia evangelical of small national reputation, who apparently believes that Obama would pick better judges than McCain:

One experienced, credible activist in Christian politics who would not let his name be used told me that Huckabee, in personal conversation with him, had embraced the concept that an Obama presidency might be what the American people deserve. That fits what has largely been a fringe position among evangelicals: that the pain of an Obama presidency is in keeping with the Bible’s prophecy.

According to this activist, at the heart of the let-Obama-win movement is longtime Virginia conservative leader Michael Farris — the nation’s leading home-school advocate, who is now chancellor of Patrick Henry College (in Purcellville, Va.) for home-schooled students. Best known politically as the losing Republican candidate for lieutenant governor of Virginia in 1993, Farris is regarded as one of the hardest-edged Christian politicians. He is reported in evangelical circles to promote the biblical justification for an Obama plague-like presidency. …

A vigorous supporter of Huckabee for president, he has not endorsed McCain and may never do so (though he quickly adds that he never would vote for Obama or Hillary Clinton). “I am concerned about what judges [McCain] may name,” Farris told me, “and the test will be who he selects for vice president.” He made it clear that Huckabee would be his choice, and ruefully added, “I understand he is not under consideration.”

Farris denies that he wants an Obama presidency inflicted on the nation as a punishment, but this is almost as silly. He’s concerned about the judges McCain would pick? Has he not considered the judges Obama would appoint? Perhaps McCain doesn’t kowtow enough to the evangelicals, but he supported John Roberts, Samuel Alito, and gave an impassioned defense of Robert Bork when the Democrats derailed his confirmation to the Supreme Court.

Elections are all about responsible choices. Either John McCain or Barack Obama will be the next president. In a general election, not voting for either still affects the outcome of the race. And while legitimate issues exist with McCain, Obama in each of them is worse. Immigration? At best, the two have no differences at all, and Obama shows a lot more concern about “keeping families together” as a principle of immigration policy, which sounds as though we would have the multipliers that helped derail the last comprehensive-immigration plan. Campaign-finance reform? Obama would seize broadcast time and have the government parcel it out and push us towards public financing of elections. Judges? Obama couldn’t even cast a vote to confirm John Roberts, leaving him in the minority within his own party, and wants judges that will keep “social justice” in mind rather than the law.

Mike Huckabee understands the differences, which is why Huckabee supports McCain publicly, where it really matters. Michael Farris can stamp his feet and wish the Republicans nominated someone else, but the reality is that McCain will be one of the two choices in the general election. Responsible voters will have to choose between the two, and for anyone to the right of Dianne Feinstein, it’s not a difficult decision as to which man will make the better President, on the issues that matter — even on those where McCain has angered his own base.

Comments

Off topic, kinda. Thought I would share my pic with McCain. Everyone here knows how I love him. It’s a terrible pic, but I love it anyway.

Rightwingsparkle on May 12, 2008 at 7:46 AM

The thought that Huck would wish an Obama presidency on the country is absurd. Just as absurd as the notion of not voting and wishing for a democrat president in order to improve the chances of getting a republican in the White House in ’12 — something that was endorsed and suggested many times during the primaries on this very site, along with the likes of Rush and Ann Coulter, when Huck appeared to be gaining delegates.

postaldog on May 12, 2008 at 7:50 AM

FYI, Patrick Henry College is the Harvard of homeschooling. Y’all may never have heard of Michael Farris. But, if he is chancellor (I’m assuming that’s an important position) at Patrick Henry, then presume he has clout amongst that portion of the conservative community that supported Huck.

a Virginia evangelical of small national reputation

That’s delicately phrased, but perhaps a bit misleading, if it leaves the impression that Michael Farris doesn’t have clout. He most likely does, amongst the homeschoolers.

smagar on May 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Conservatives aren’t his base. He’s trying to make a new one, and seems to be successful, so far. Don’t get why he would make a better Pres. on the immigration issue, or global warming, or energy. Must be me.

JiangxiDad on May 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM

That’s what happens when a guy develops a reputation (except among his fanatical cultists, of course) as a false prophet and snake oil salesman.

ReubenJCogburn on May 12, 2008 at 8:12 AM

“Robert Novak reports that “credible activists” have spread the rumor that Huckabee secretly wants Obama to win as some sort of lesson for the Republicans to learn.” ED

Ed, this is not an uncommon position among conservatives…conservative activist, even. I have observed an adequate level of this exact attitude among members of YAF…an organization that Novak, himself, represents on campuses nationwide. I have had one member of the YAF leadership tell me that he wanted the Dems to win as a lesson to voters.

Huckabee is being loyal to his party. One of the things I think he’s wrong in doing. The party definitely hasn’t been loyal to conservatives.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 8:12 AM

…Huckabee, in personal conversation with him, had embraced the concept that an Obama presidency might be what the American people deserve.

Let me explain this from the point of view of a hard-core Evangelical.

If this is accurate, what’s being said is not “I intend to support Obama,” nor is it “I want Obama to win.” It’s “I’m afraid we’re in for a very serious thrashing.”

I took a similar position with President Bill Clinton. I believed at the time, and still believe, that Clinton was a sort of test for America, a test of how corrupt we’d become as a nation: how much corruption would we tolerate, and still allow him to stay in office?

Does this mean I supported the Clinton presidency? Of course not. I voted for Bush in 92 and for Dole in 96, and I wrote and lobbied and even prayed for Clinton’s impeachment. How could any honest citizen have done otherwise? But we humans have limited perspective, and sometimes we don’t get what we want because God’s got bigger fish to fry.

I think Barack Obama is a closet hard socialist. I think he’s in cahoots with middle eastern radical organizations. I think if he gets elected, the US will cede its sovereignty to the UN on several key points, and laws will be passed that effectively end free speech and free religion. But certain Christians foresee the same results, and think “Maybe that’s what God has planned for America.” That doesn’t mean they want it, or that they’ll vote for it; that means they’re bracing for it.

(Unrelated to this topic, please visit my political blog, “Plumb Bob Blog: Squaring the Culture,” at http://www.plumbbobblog.com. Thanks.)

philwynk on May 12, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Why don’t one of y’all do a story about how theClub For Growthhas harmed both the party and the conservative cause over the past few elections?

Come on…you can do it!

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Bush was a “compassionate conservative”. Basically a Progressive, he tripled spending in education with absolutely nothing to show for it(and caving into Teacher’s unions) and doubled the size and cost of the federal government. The last thing the U.S. needs right now is a nanny-stater liberal. The only thing this guy is conservative on is abortion, which will do nothing in the middle east, the economy, the border, etc…I still support Bush for what he’s done in protecting us from foreign threats, and standing up to the Democrats, but please, no more evangelicals…..Go back to handling snakes Mike, there’s way more money in it………….

adamsmith on May 12, 2008 at 8:22 AM

“Responsible voters will have to choose between the two…”

Responsible voters would not leave us with the choice between these two.

This responsible voter will not vote for either of the two.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 8:22 AM

JiangxiDad on May 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Then let me explain it.

McCain is a Republican who occasionally gets duped by socialists into backing solutions that arise out of some socialist impulse that’s not native to Republicans.

Obama is a socialist who never, ever gets duped into being anything but a socialist.

With McCain, you occasionally get bad policy, more or less accidentally. With Obama, you get it every day, deliberately.

Let me put it a different way: if you don’t understand the difference between a 70% rating from the American Conservatie Union and a 5% rating from them, you’ve got your head into places I can’t even reach. Wake up. McCain’s a dissapointment. Obama’s a friggin’ disaster. They’re not the same.

(Unrelated to this topic, please visit my political blog, “Plumb Bob Blog: Squaring the Culture,” at http://www.plumbbobblog.com. My townhall.com blog has links to get there. Thanks.)

philwynk on May 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Mike Huckabee supports cranky old bastard. Just one of many reasons why McCain is unfit for office and, if elected, he will rival Jimmy Carter for the title of worst President ever.

highhopes on May 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM

What have McCain and Huckabee to say to Missourians?

Missouri moves towards proof of citizenship from voter registrants. Critics say the measure could lead to the disenfranchisement of tens of thousands of legal residents who would find it difficult to prove their citizenship.

That is correct; legal residency does not equate to citizenship. CITIZENSHIP PROVIDES THE RIGHT TO VOTE. So disenfranchise away the scams and cheats.

What was that we already heard from McCain, UNAMERICAN? That’s still posted on his embracing non-negative high road billboard.

maverick muse on May 12, 2008 at 8:46 AM

philwynk on May 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM

You have it right when you say

McCain’s a dissapointment. Obama’s a friggin’ disaster.

I’ve been trying to make the same point for some time, on this blog and others. Refusing to vote for McCain is self destructive. Actively working against him is not a conservative position, it’s a little child’s position of throwing a fit because you got carrots instead of candy.

Buford Gooch on May 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM

“that an Obama presidency might be what the American people deserve” from the point of view of a hard-core Evangelical–philwynk 8:17

Speaking for my country, spare us, O God of philwynk, spare us philwynk’s condemnation.

Speaking for myself, I DO NOT DESERVE AN OBAMA PRESIDENCY.

maverick muse on May 12, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Buford Gooch
Actively working to surgically remove the progressive element from McCain’s platform before the vote is the most mature thing a conservative can do right now. Whereas, shooing him in as is not only perpetuates the progressive demise of conservatism, it eliminates any effective pressure from American conservatives prior to the general election.

maverick muse on May 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Y’all expect a comment from me on this thread…

There is no way that Mike Huckabee wants an Obama presidency. Huck is doing everything he can to help conservatives win in November, and is being 100% loyal to the Republican party even though the “presumptive” nominee is far from a conservative.

The Obama thing is an IF-THEN…
IF the voters of this country elect Obama,
THEN we deserve the pain and suffering that would result.

Now would be a good time to repent and pray for our country:

When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place.

2 Chronicles 7:13-15

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM

philwynk on May 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Didn’t say McCain is worse than Obama. Said he wasn’t better on immigration, global warming, or energy policy. Don’t want to hear Maverick’s praises being sung without keeping his faults front and center. How else to let that dope know what we want?

You don’t really say anything much different than I do. But why worry so much when others say it? Nervous?

JiangxiDad on May 12, 2008 at 9:15 AM

“…it’s a little child’s position of throwing a fit because you got carrots instead of candy.” Buford Gooch

And it’s a fool’s position to continue to support a party that has abandoned conservative principles under pressure from a godless left.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 9:23 AM

OK. See ya ’round!

DrSteve on May 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Anyone see these stats from the Club for Growth blog on the new flavor of blue dog pork in the farm bill?

Damn. I don’t give a hoot for McCain, but I will fight for the downstream ticket and I hope folks pick up on this.

Angry Dumbo on May 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM

This is an absurd and unsubstantiated position. The only place I’ve heard mention that an Obama presidency is in Biblical prophecy is from this article. If you are going to point this out, I’d expect references Mr. Plame. . . and point to the ‘prophecy’ that YOU CLAIM that others believe OBAMA would fulfill.

I know there are lots of Catholics on here and any derogatory comment about ‘Evangelicals’ is seen as appropriate for believers in a ‘rogue faith’. But this is ridiculous. Catholics ARE evangelical. Put that in your pipe and smoke it before you define for me who this group of ‘evangelicals’ are – I know I know, these people are Christians that you disagree with politically. UNFORTUNATELY most of the CATHOLICS support Obama and Democrats – so I’d appreciate some perspective. . . though I don’t expect it from the holier than thou judgmental EVANGELICAL Catholics.

ThackerAgency on May 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM

“Rightwingsparkle” should be careful about photos with McCain. If the New York Times gets that picture, she will be accused of being a lobbyist, and will accuse McCain of having a romantic interest in her.

Steve Z on May 12, 2008 at 11:46 AM

posted at 7:41 am on May 12, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Huck PAC is founded on the principles that make America great: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Our Republican Party embodies these ideas and is best suited to lead America forward.

Huck PAC is committed to helping Republicans regain control of the House and Senate, regain a majority of governorships and elect John McCain as the 44th President of the United States.

Huck PAC will support Republican candidates who are passionate advocates for tax reform, a strong national defense, real border security, life, the family, less government and individual liberty.

Huck PAC will identify candidates who hold firm to these principles, promote their campaigns and financially support their efforts.

How can any honest conservative criticize Mike Huckabee at this point? It’s hard to imagine how he could be doing anything more than what he is already doing to champion the conservative cause.

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 1:10 PM

From Mike Huckabee himself:

On another note, I was very disturbed by a column by Robert Novak that quoted some “anonymous source” in saying that while I strongly supported Senator McCain, I thought that maybe America “deserves Obama,” as if to say that I secretly hoped he won.

Where do people dream up this stuff? Forget the “anonymous” sources—there’s nothing anonymous about my stand and here it is. We don’t “deserve” Obama—we DESERVE a President with the character, convictions, experience, and wisdom to see the problems we face and try to lead us to solve them. We deserve a President who truly loves this country and from whom there is no doubt as to his respect for Faith, Family, and the kind of Freedom that those before us have given their lives to pass on to us. John McCain meets that criteria and that’s why I am campaigning for him and not hoping for Obama. The nonsense that I want Obama to win this year so I can run in 2012 is absurd. I love my country more than my own ambition. So let the record and truth be clear. And let the “anonymous” sources either show the courage to stand up and be accountable for their comments or shut up and leave commentary to people who aren’t afraid of their own shadow.

Source

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I think this deserves a “Huckabee Responds” update and bump…

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

UNFORTUNATELY most of the CATHOLICS support Obama and Democrats

ThackerAgency on May 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Whereas that is true enough to make me feel like the somewhat lonely Conservative Church of Connie when I attend Mass, every time you post one of your rants, I am more and more grateful to be a Catholic. At least I was never indoctrinated by hate toward other Christian denominations.

Connie on May 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM

“This responsible voter will not vote for either of the two.”
Al-Ozarka, it’s taken me a little while to come ’round, but I’m with you, again.
I voted for Dubya in 2004 and have regretted it for the last two years. I won’t vote for another liberal globalist with an R next to his name. I live in California, so it’ll be Obamaland anyway…unless the open borders crowd votes Juan in.
If anything, it will be interesting to see what happens. I’m working the polls too. A thankless job, but it’s one way I can serve my community, and country.

Christine on May 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Because we know the fraud that the Huckster is. Anybody can put words on a page. There is nothing behind those words. You’ve been duped by a politician cloaking himself in religion.

There are very good reasons Huckabee has been rejected.

techno_barbarian on May 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

techno_barbarian on May 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I’ve interviewed Gov Huckabee on a few occasions and have found him intelligent, honest, and refreshing.

posted at 12:28 pm on May 8, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

techno_barbarian, have you ever interviewed Mike Huckabee?

Why should Hot Air readers trust your judgment over Ed Morrissey’s?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

“Because we know the fraud that the Huckster is.”
techno-barbarian
You’re a damned liar.

Not just a liar…but a DAMNED liar.

Al-Ozarka on May 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Is this the Tribulation before the Mahdi returns?

Tzetzes on May 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Why should Hot Air readers trust your judgment over Ed Morrissey’s?

Red Pill on May 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I’m not asking Hot Air readers to trust my judgment. I’m asking them to trust their own eyes and ears and remember the early primaries and the Huckster’s actions.

You’d agree that a tree should be judged by its fruit, no?

You’ve allowed yourself to be deluded. That is your right and your privelege. Just don’t expect thinking individuals to blindly follow someone they can see and hear for themselves to be very disingenuous.

I strongly disapprove of Huckabee’s career performance and I surely don’t want to see him a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

techno_barbarian on May 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM