Shock: Famous ex-jihadi Hassan Butt arrested on … terrorism charges

posted at 4:58 pm on May 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

Old school HA readers know I’m not being sarcastic. Given the insight and eloquence with which this guy’s spoken about jihad, the possibility that it was all some sort of grand ruse to conceal his continuing plotting is genuinely shocking. So shocking, in fact, that I don’t quite believe it — although maybe that’s just my inborn reluctance to accept that I could have been so badly suckered kicking in. Via JWF, is it taqiyya, a case of mistaken identity, or something else?

A muslim author who admits being a former al-Qaida recruiter was today being questioned by anti-terror police.

Hassan Butt, who penned a book on his terrorist past – was detained at Manchester Airport yesterday afternoon.

Mr Butt, 31, is understood to have arrived at Terminal 2 and bought a ticket to Lahore, Pakistan, 45 minutes before the Pakistan International Airlines flight was due to leave.

He is being questioned by Greater Manchester’s regional counter terrorism unit. Since his arrest, police have searched his home in north Manchester and two other properties nearby and two cars were last night taken away for forensic examination…

He has claimed Greater Manchester police are harassing him over suspicions that he is secretly still a Jihadist.

It’s not clear what the charges are yet but a police spokesman says they fall under the Terrorism Act. Even so, reserve judgment for now; if it turns out that he was in fact up to no good, it’ll be one of the most sinister “hiding in plain sight” scams ever. Exit quotation: “[W]e were fighting for the creation of a revolutionary state that would eventually bring Islamic justice to the world.”

Comments

I’m reserving judgment. Detained, not arrested, right? It’s natural to suspect someone of something they previously did, but if they had proof they’d just lock him up today.

Spirit of 1776 on May 10, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Ugh.
If true, I feel for Irshad Manji:

Seems she may have hitched her horse to the wrong wagon.

Alalazoo on May 10, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Well, BBC brief says arrested, so I guess that means they have something.

Spirit of 1776 on May 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

45 minutes before the flight was to leave?

Dang, that is creepy…

Theworldisnotenough on May 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

But the high-profile author [Mr. Butt] says he completely changed his mind about terrorism following the 7/7 attacks in London.

He told Newsnight in April: “I realised that the Jihadi network was not killing for the sake of Islam, it was killing for the sake of causing terror and causing havoc.”

Since then he says he has been working with some of his original recruits to try to turn them away from terror.

(from the article)

Words are cheap.

Maxx on May 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM

He was just doing lunch.

Limerick on May 10, 2008 at 5:13 PM

45 minutes before the flight was to leave?

Dang, that is creepy…

Theworldisnotenough on May 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I travel constantly for my job nowadays. ALL of my reservations are last minute because I never know when I’ll be done with one customer and go on to the next. So I’m always being harassed by TSA. At least 3 times a week I get the dreaded SSSS on the bottom of my ticket. Last minute flights are definitely a trigger for closer scrutiny. Makes you wonder why a Jihadist would travel that way. Make your reservation a day in advance and you never get the Super Secret Special Search as I call it.

Guardian on May 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Guardian on May 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Trying to think like a cop (which I’m not), a last minute buy to get out of Dodge once you have been informed an operation is in progress, would certainly be on my mind.

Limerick on May 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Hassan Butt

Is this guy related to Bertha Butt, and the other Butt sisters?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :>)

Bigfoot on May 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I’m calling BS on this too. He seemed so passionate. If it turns out that this is actually true and he was fooling us all along…then this guy is definitely smarter than a 5th grader.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 5:31 PM

That sucks. I liked listening to him talk. He seemed like he could be a really positive force for keeping other Muslims from straying towards violence.

BadgerHawk on May 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I’d say 48 hour rule – but it is real interesting that he’s headed to Lahore. Two other AQ bigwigs have been arrested there the past two years, and I’ve long thought that Uncle Binny is not in a cave in the Wazirs, but rather in the exurbs of Lahore or Peshawar.

Tark on May 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I’ll withhold judgment.

“[W]e were fighting for the creation of a revolutionary state that would eventually bring Islamic justice to the world.” sounds basically the same as a communist spouting “We were fighting for the creation of a revolutionary state that would eventually bring social justice to the world.”

No real difference, simply a totalitarian state that runs every facet of people’s lives.

rbj on May 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I’ll admit that his conversion seemed convincing but I had my doubts it was authentic. However considering the currently pathetic state the UK is in these days I’ll have to reserve judgment for now. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he was arrested on a terrorism charge for “defaming Islam”. Maybe he used the term, “Islamic terrorism”, for example.

FloatingRock on May 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM

rbj on May 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Exactly, Social Justice=Totaltarianism, always.

Maquis on May 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Allow me to add to the choir by saying I’ll reserve judgment. This guy had spoken out repetitively and loudly against terrorism. I’ll wait to see what they have before indicting him.

amerpundit on May 10, 2008 at 6:31 PM

The West is so naive.

Muslims can fool you and laugh their butt off at you.

Unfortunately, we, err you didn’t learn anything.

I know the Muslims very well, they can NEVER fool me.

But, would the idiots ever listen to my advice?

Indy Conservative on May 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Is this guy related to Bertha Butt, and the other Butt sisters?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :>)

Bigfoot

Woooo! Now that’s something I have not heard in decades.

thekingtut on May 10, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I’m trying to care, I really am.

TheCulturalist on May 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Not only that, but he has done it with the presentation of a new doctrinal approach – which I think is pretty universally accepted as the West’s best hope to coincide with Islam.

Spirit of 1776 on May 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Why not bring this butt up on charges of hate crimes against the normal peoples way of thinking? All the radicals bring up hate crimes because of a freeking cartoon or the way someone quotes one of these jerks and relays it to the world. This garbage needs to be put out to pasture and I mean with the pigs and other offense animals.

bones47 on May 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM

A Muslim who would lie about J****? Keep looking, I’m sure there is a Muslim to trust somewhere….I hear they lurk among the moderates.

He sounded good though didn’t he? Like Obama, hope and change…..

BL@KBIRD on May 10, 2008 at 8:17 PM

If a friend of his that he is tryint to talk out of terrorist acts is getting in trouble in Pakistan, or is about to do something rash, he could be running to his aid. That would be enough to spring this arrest.

bnelson44 on May 10, 2008 at 8:24 PM

it’ll be one of the most sinister “hiding in plain sight” scams ever

Have to disagree. How about Abu Hamza? He openly preached jihad whilst living on welfare until the newspapers forced the government to take action. Or Omar Bakri Mohammed?

The UK security services have said there are several thousand jihadis at large in the UK, and numerous plots in play. Many of these people hide in plain sight – their ‘teachers’ in mosques do too.

At the same time the government has rebranded jihadist attacks as ‘anti Islamic action’ and the mayor of London wines and dines Quradawi, an avowed jihadist who believes all Israelis are legitimate targets for murder and says it publicly.

There are a lot of people hot for jihad in the uk and many are blatantly out in the open. The television documentary “Undercover mosque” recorded ‘sermons’ in some of the major mosques in the UK – check it out.

Ares on May 10, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Bigfoot on May 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I’ll see your Bertha, and raise you a Sir Mixalot ripoff.

Hassan Butt he cannot lie
His jihad he won’t deny
when a girl walks in
a burqa to her chin
and a veil stuck to her face
HE GETS SPRUNG!

Sorry, best I could do in under a minute.

austinnelly on May 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM

FloatingRock on May 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM

If a Muslim believer behaves according to the doctrine of Islam what does that have to do with the UK?

Yes the UK is pathetic in its response to Islam but a Republican President who says “Islam is a religion of peace” is the font of such deception.

aengus on May 10, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I think I remember reading Ali Sina (an ex-muslim) on the faithfreedom.org forum saying this guy seemed like he wasn’t genuine, that there was something “off” with the way he talked about it all.
If not Ali Sina, then someone there. It stuck with me, the guy did seem a little off.

MattMacD on May 10, 2008 at 9:52 PM

It would not surprise me, but I’m pretty cynical.

4shoes on May 10, 2008 at 11:05 PM

aengus on May 10, 2008 at 9:25 PM

The UK is sliding down the slippery slope of Dhimmitude yelling, “WEEEEEEEE!!!”, all the way. They’ve been dreaming up all kinds of Orwellian double-speak in their efforts to camouflage the danger of Islamists in their midst. They’ve stuck their head so far into the sand that if they’re given a slight nudge they’ll break their necks.

I agree. Bush may be stronger than the Democrats would’ve been on the WOT but he’s long since dropped his trousers and presented a full moon of Dhimmitude to the Islamists here at home.

Regardless, the UK’s demise is much closer than ours is.

FloatingRock on May 10, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt. This might be nothing.

SoulGlo on May 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM

It stuck with me, the guy did seem a little off.

MattMacD on May 10, 2008 at 9:52 PM

I don’t remember all of the details of this guys story, but when he was introduced as a convert a year or so ago I wondered if perhaps he’d made a deal with the UK government to preach against Jihad in exchange for his freedom.

FloatingRock on May 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM

What am I missing? Isn’t “a book on his terrorist past” another way of saying “his confession”? Does an alleged change of heart after 7/7 really make any difference?

I don’t think so.

seanrobins on May 11, 2008 at 12:00 AM

FINALLY!
A muslim name I can understand, and agree with.

shooter on May 11, 2008 at 12:07 AM

You trust those who say “War is deceit” at your own risk.

No Butts about it.

profitsbeard on May 11, 2008 at 1:23 AM

FINALLY!
A muslim name I can understand, and agree with.

shooter on May 11, 2008 at 12:07 AM

I wonder, is the ‘h’ silent?

Kralizec on May 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I say profile the bastard to death. A few years from now we can say that we used to be profilers.

winemkr on May 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM

Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt. This might be nothing.

SoulGlo on May 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM

You can give him he benefit of the doubt. I prefer to doubt him.

I think you are a butthead.

winemkr on May 11, 2008 at 2:09 AM

We used to “rough up” and “arrest” confidential informants and especially undercover cops to protect their cover when they needed to get some time critical information to us. This could easily be a similar kind of op.

TBinSTL on May 11, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Hassan Butt

Is this guy related to Bertha Butt, and the other Butt sisters?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :>)

Bigfoot on May 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM

No, but he is a direct descendant of Pain-inthe and Hairy Butt….

And I couldn’t resist either.

darkpixel on May 11, 2008 at 7:12 AM

A muslim lie… no freak’n way. It says it in the koran doesn’t it? NO LYING nada… well except to your enemies. But the magic negro says they’re our friends… well if we’d only sit down and listen to them. Once the West understands the muslim point of view, only then can we really appreciate the reason why they hate us. That’s what the good Reverend Wright taught BO isn’t it? /s

Bob on May 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM

It’s hared to get arrested in the EU for anything these days except hate crimes.

Did he have piglet literature in his home?

entagor on May 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Surprised if it was all a scam becuase he said some very damning things about Muslims living in UK and other parts of Europe. It was a scam that makes a lot of Muslims look bad.

bayam on May 11, 2008 at 7:31 PM

it’ll be one of the most sinister “hiding in plain sight” scams ever

You gotta be kidding me. Recent history is replete with muslim speakers /leaders saying one thing in public and delivering a totally different thing in private. One only needs to spend 10 minutes on youtube to see multiple examples.

Pat Condell is a pretty funny guy who frequently addresses these sorts of things.

moxie_neanderthal on May 12, 2008 at 11:05 AM