Planned Parenthood soliciting Mother’s Day donations

posted at 3:11 pm on May 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via PW, what better way to celebrate motherhood than by sparing someone from its many accursed inconveniences? This year, give the gift of suction:

With Mother’s Day coming up this weekend, Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion business, has a message for moms: send us more money. Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, sent out a fund-raising request this week one pro-life advocate says is grotesque…

“This Mother’s Day, I’m honoring that legacy with a Planned Parenthood Federation of America Mother’s Day gift. Join me,” she wrote.

“You can help with a gift to Planned Parenthood Federation of America today in honor of your mother or daughter, and on behalf of all the women,” she added.

You can see the actual e-mail here. Exit question: Maybe for Father’s Day…?

Comments

Stay classy PP.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Oww… my soul.

AbaddonsReign on May 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Exit question: Maybe for Father’s Day…?

Nah. Just a date with Lorenna Bobbitt.

BacaDog on May 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM

You don’t expect Abortion Man to work for free, do ya?

ninjapirate on May 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Have these people no shame?

Mormon Doc on May 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

sick

Maxx on May 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Maybe they meant No Pants Day. That was the friday before yesterday.

ninjapirate on May 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM

PP is trying to copy similar “honor your mother on Mother’s Day” programs done by pro-life ministries (like House of Hope and Mercy Ministries). These ministries help women with unplanned pregnancies (as well as other issues). Such a fundraiser is appropriate for them, but it is absolutely ludicrous for Planned Parenthood. Either they don’t realize the irony, or they choose not to care. I think it’s the latter…they don’t care where or how the money comes in, just as long as it keeps coming in. PP is a for profit business, and the business they’re in is grotesque. Murder for profit. With government funding, to boot.

Red Pill on May 10, 2008 at 3:29 PM

So that they can give more $ to Obama. >:D

Chakra Hammer on May 10, 2008 at 3:29 PM

That’s so wrong …

Quisp on May 10, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Okay, the whole thing’s wrong but specifically I was trying to reference this:

“And, I’m proud that my own children carry on that legacy. That’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?”

Quisp on May 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Are you anti-abortion, AP?

VolMagic on May 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Maxx on May 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Quisp on May 10, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Very.

VolMagic on May 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Huh?

surrounded on May 10, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Ick. I’d rather get shot at than read this sludge. All that’s left is a calling card reading, “Have Dremel, will travel: Wire Planned Parenthood, Washington, D.C.”

Spc Steve on May 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM

A more appropriate mother’s day card from PP as left by a commenter at Protein Wisdom. [content warning]

Maxx on May 10, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Are you anti-abortion, AP?

VolMagic on May 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Not to presume to speak for Allah, but I think I remember him saying in the past he’s, uh, agnostic on it.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Exit question: Maybe for Father’s Day…?

Whoa? Are you sure? I couldn’t imagine AP being a pro-genocide kind of dude. I know he’s no hardcore social con (and neither am I), but I know he wouldn’t be in favor of the reckless destruction of human life.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Sorry about that, I jumped the gun on the submit button before I could discuss vasectomies.

Exit question: Maybe for Father’s Day…?

The most beta thing a guy could do.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 4:21 PM

The Gutfield approach? “Yeah, it’s murder. Do it if you want, but call it what it is” kinda thing?

VolMagic on May 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM

That’s just disgusting. Really. Are they effing serious??!!!

4shoes on May 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM

CORRECTION: You are on the other side of the Looking Glass, and we’re celebrating UN-Mothers Day!!!

landlines on May 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Sure there’s some irony but I respect women (my mom included) who’ve stood up for their reproductive rights.

Reproductive rights? Dude, it’s called keeping your legs together. There are your reproductive rights. If you make the decision to have unprotected sex, you have to deal with the responsibilities that come with it. I have so much sympathy for rape victims, but it isn’t the baby’s fault. The only cases where killing your baby would even be anywhere close to being on the table would be if it was for the safety of the mother or the child was to be born with a horrible, horrible birth defect. Those are the two cases where I could allow the option of an abortion. If your mother is “standing up for reproductive rights”, then she has blood on her hands.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM

VolMagic on May 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM

I don’t remember him saying anything beyond being agnostic about it, you’d have to ask him to clarify.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Killgore Trout on May 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Back in those days there were one or two methods of birth control and they were limited in effectiveness and had many side-effects. Now we have about 143 different methods of birth control and people can’t use ONE?! Sorry, but how lazy does a person have to be to not use one method of birth control; The shot, one of the many pill options, the condom, (which they should be using anyway,) the list goes on and on…point being this is not 1973!!! And as far as “reproductive rights” they’re not “reproductive rights” unless you plan to actually reproduce. Stop using euphemisms to keep from calling it what it actually is. The whole reason they say, “The right to choose…” is because they don’t want to actually say what it is they are choosing; to kill.

foxforce91 on May 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Er, agnostic is pretty vague, and I’m guessing that’s intentional on Allah’s part. He may well be pro-life and just not be very gung-ho about it for all we know. I could see qualifying oneself as “agnostic” if you viewed it that way. I dunno that I’d infer much beyond Allah being not fully emotionally committed one way or the other on the issue, I don’t think you can infer his policy views out of that at all.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Hmm, my last comment didn’t go through. I tried to repost it but I get an error that it’s a duplicate comment.

Killgore Trout on May 10, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Maybe it got aborted?

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Most American women believe that their reproductive rights extend beyond the moment of sexual intercourse.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Hmm, reminds me of the time I wanted to hold a Barbecue to benefit PETA. The difference is I knew how absurd it was and I was joking. Did they happen to throw a /sarc tag at the end of the pitch?

trubble on May 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

If the intent is to reproduce, otherwise the term “reproductive rights” is oxymoronic.

foxforce91 on May 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Yeah, I guess “agnostic” is pretty vague. I just don’t understand how you COULDN’T be emotional about it. Then again, AP is an athiest. His world view is already pretty different from mine.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 5:25 PM

foxforce91 on May 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM

What they probably mean is the right to control the reproductive mechanisms of their own bodies, to not be at risk of having every sexual encounter turn into a lifelong commitment to a child.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Shouldn’t PP be celebrating non-mothers day or anti-mothers day or reversible mothers day. How about “Aren’t you glad you paid us to legally kill your child to keep you from being a mother” day?

The hypocrisy of the left is almost painful sometimes.

Guardian on May 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Killgore Trout on May 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I know I’ve seen some good arguments for the pro-life position from a atheist/secular perspective too. To just declare it a Christian thing and then dismiss it on that ground is pretty weak and lazy. Is it the big reason? Yeah. I’m not gonna lie, it is. But there’s a spectrum of opinion, some people are going to be pro-life from a secular perspective, some a religious one, some a mix of the two and that mix can be from heavily secular to heavily religious.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM

My mother died in 02. Every year I thank God for her on Mother’s day. I can’t send a card, flowers, or a call. I will honor her by not giving. She gave me and my two brothers life.
L

letget on May 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Killgore Trout on May 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Well, I’m not the Pope, nor do I believe that what the Pope says should become law in the U.S. I don’t think that abortion is a religious issue any more than murder is a religious issue – which is also against the law. I see it as a human rights issue. And if you’re basing your views on the people you’ve met and talked to, why don’t you talk to the women who’ve had abortions and have had the nightmarish realization that it wasn’t just some easy way to “fix” an inconvenient problem? There are many, many women who feel this way. Should we legalize theft because there are a few people who steal food from the grocery store and then rationalize it by saying they couldn’t eat otherwise?

foxforce91 on May 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM

The used to be a sense of class and decorum in this culture…

TheBigOldDog on May 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM

L

letget on May 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM

I wish your mother a happy mother’s day too. I also greet mother’s day each year with a sense of gratitude and loss.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM

…And I used to be able to type a whole sentence without any typos. I even had the patience to proof read…

TheBigOldDog on May 10, 2008 at 6:03 PM

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Exactly. I became anti-abortion due to a personal experience, before I became a Christian.

foxforce91 on May 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM

If the Pope had his way condoms would be illegal.

Killgore Trout on May 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM

If the Pope had his way, we’d have Amnesty and an official Open Borders policy and we’d be a Eurosocialist Nanny State who picked up the tab for the UN and got routinely screwed by it…even moreso now. The Pope doesn’t run the US, thankfully. He’s the leader of Catholic Church.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:12 PM

He’s the leader of Catholic Church.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:12 PM

And the most of the world’s Christians.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Viewing abortion as murder is Christian thing and you’re welcome to it but to force it onto others is another issue.

Being against abortion has nothing to do with being of any religion. I’d imagine that people who believe in a higher power would be inclined to respect life, but anybody can and should. Abortion is murder. Human life is human life. It’s a scientific fact that life begins at conception. There are so many effective methods of birth control out there (including abstinence) that there is NO excuse for someone to kill their baby.

You said it.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 6:17 PM

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Exactly. The Pope is a good guy and has good intentions, but his teachings aren’t always in the best interest of the people.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I can almost guarantee you that the Church thinks abortion/murder is a far greater sin than putting on a condom.

malan89 on May 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM

And the most of the world’s Christians.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Yeah, and how’s that working out for him in the US so far? Abortion has been going pretty strong for thirty years here, and Catholics as voters aren’t exactly super reliable on that issue, huh?

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM

The dude has no power over Catholics unless they choose to grant him power over them, and they clearly don’t. They’re free to believe what they want, and the consequences of not going along with church doctrine are about as minimal as can be, you aren’t gonna get beheaded.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Yet another Allahpundit classic. Keep it up, man.

Baphomet on May 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM

They don’t especially listen to him, though masses in baseball stadiums seem well attended.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I’m not dismissing it as a Christian thing but you have to admit it’s predominantly a Christian cause. I looked for a reliable poll of abortion support by religion but couldn’t dig one up. It would be interesting to see.

Killgore Trout on May 10, 2008 at 6:35 PM

It would, but it’d be a b*tch to do and be accurate, because you have to take into consideration that religious people may have a totally secular reason to be pro-life, and to catch that you’d have to be able to make that distinction in your polling. You’d have to consider what one defines pro-life as, because we’ve all heard liberal politicians who don’t want to admit they’re pro-choice call themselves pro-life, and then go on to say that they don’t support pro-life legislation.

To sort out all the different variables to create a truly accurate representation of opinion on abortion would be a friggin’ nightmare.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM

There’s a phrase that’s used in the church, Cafeteria Catholics, meaning that they pick and choose which doctrine to follow. They might not necessarily follow church doctrine to the letter, but they might follow some or most of it. Besides, Pope’s a decent guy, and it ain’t every day he’s around, so I’m sure that’s part of it too.

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM

doubleplusundead on May 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Yes. A gentle Italian (or German) man who brings a message of love with a possible inside track to the after-life. Much to love. I think most U.S. Catholics regard the Pope with reverence but also rely on their own interpretation of the Gospels.

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Despicable!

Gatordoug on May 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Nice e-mail. Can’t argue a bit with its content. I’m completely in favor of helping to prevent teen pregnency, and basically any unwanted pregnancy, but PP is too polarized an organization to deserve any of my money. I’d rather donate to an organization which doesn’t feel so threatened that it must push the limits of what is acceptable in society in order to safeguard what already is. For example, the advocacy for partial-birth abortion. Abortion is already acceptable, but there is a visceral reaction to killing a fetus/infant when it is almost born.

Viscount_Bolingbroke on May 10, 2008 at 8:01 PM

dedalus on May 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

And so should their reproductive responsibility.

surrounded on May 10, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Someday people will wake up and understand that abortion is killing/murder/against God’s law. Everyone knows the difference between right/wrong, good/evil. If in this feel good , just do it society, there will come a time when everyone will face judegement whether you belive you will or not. How many millions of the aborted children held the answer to all of mankinds discovery’s? The waste due to abortions is wrong plain and simple. The number # 1 killer of blacks in America is from abortions, but BHO and all the other liberals could care less as long as they can get the power and money to set thier own agenda’s.
One day soon the 5% will finally change what a small percentage started 30 yrs ago. I can’t wait for the day when abortion becomes illegal in the USA and around the world, but I won’t live to see that day.
WHY are our tax $$ going to this type of group anyways??

bones47 on May 10, 2008 at 8:28 PM

The[re] used to be a sense of class and decorum in this culture…

TheBigOldDog on May 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Yes I remember that, it was long ago.

Maxx on May 10, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I figure PP is not only killing, but also killing its future constituency. It is up to us to educate our own not to fall for their diabolical trap.

No mother worth her salt would give PP the light of day! That is, if she still wants to be called a mother!

newton on May 11, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Have these people no shame?

Mormon Doc on May 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Nope, but they do have balls the size of an elephant’s.

Mallard T. Drake on May 11, 2008 at 3:47 AM

The[re] used to be a sense of class and decorum in this culture…

TheBigOldDog on May 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Grandpa told me about it.

labrat on May 11, 2008 at 6:03 AM

I don’t care what you think of abortion. It defies even common sense to try and use Mother’s Day as a fundraiser.

Esthier on May 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM

viewing abortion as murder is Christian thing

Not, it’s a bugbear favored largely by American Protestant Christians of a certain type, and Catholics of course. These same people also tend to believe that homosexuality is a mortal sin.

There’s irony a plenty here. Fill your boots.

Ares on May 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Would seem the same people that protest capital punishment for heinous crimes are the same that feel it’s a given right to do the same to a defenseless fetus. Must admit though, the older I get the more I see it as genocide. Rape, incest, or debilitating birth defects I can see the “possible” need. The others? Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

I used to call my mother the first really liberated woman. Strong in her faith and social/political convictions, took absolutely no nonsense from anyone – all the while remaining a loving mother, adored wife, and gratious human being. Unlike Obama that didn’t want to saddle his own daughters with unwanted children, she would have been the first to step up and offer to help shelter the mother and baby. If the mother didn’t want to keep the child she would have stood by her and acted as an advocate of the mother with the agency to place the child. I never wanted to find out if that same forgiving policy applied to me had I found myself in the same circumstances, I suspect it didn’t. She’d have ripped my head off and stuffed it down my neck.. :)

24K lady on May 11, 2008 at 7:37 PM