Are you ready for the John McCain global warming tour?

posted at 5:55 pm on May 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

Why not? After six months of ads and op-eds and radio broadcasts about Bill Ayers and Wright, come Election Day there’ll be nary a conservative left in America who won’t be eager to pull the lever for him no matter how far left he tacks. Amnesty and carbon offsets and campaign finance reform for all!

“John McCain is going to be doing more of these themed tours of America, and one of them is going to be on energy and global climate change. It could get him into trouble with Republicans, of course, and with the base, who don’t think there is much climate change going on, but it is something that he’s very passionate about and he’s going to be talking about it.”

A pander timed to coincide with the general election? Nah, he’s been pushing this for ages. Here’s his radio ad on the subject from last fall, and here’s his position — reminiscent of Pascal’s wager — from that awful GOP debate with Nurse Ratched. Exit quotation: “Way to go, global warming folks!”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So… how much land do you own around the Green River Basin or Vernal County, UT? I wish I had some dough to put down there. Then again, the railroads probably own anything below the surface, right?

NTWR on May 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I haven’t worked in Utah, though a lot of my buddies are in the exploration area there.
I stick to Texas, some New Mexico, and have drilled extensively in Oklahoma and Kansas in the 80′s.

I’m evaluating about 20,000 acres of Bakken acreage in Richland County, Montana and neighboring South Dakota right now. Pretty deep wells, it turns out, but there is a huge amount of oil in those vertical fracture zones. It is a madhouse up there now, around Stanley, South Dakota.

The main problem in the oil patch is personnel right now.
There are few people with experience and the universities are turning out poorly-prepared geologists with their heads full of this greenie Global Warming crap. Independents like me won’t touch these clowns.

TexasJew on May 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM

“What’s this?” thought John McCain. “I can feel nothing warmer at all! That is terrible. Am I stupid? Am I a flat-earther? Am I a denier? Am I not fit to be President? That would be the most dreadful thing that could happen to me. “Oh, it is very hot!” McCain said aloud. “It has my highest approbation.” And McCain nodded in a contented way, and gazed outside, for he would not say that he felt no Global Warming. The whole staff whom he had with tried and tried but could feel no warming, any more than the rest; but, like John McCain, they said, “It is so warm!” and counseled him to always say that he felt warm when he was out in public. “It is warm, hot even!” went from mouth to mouth. On all sides there seemed to be general warming, and John McCain gave Al Gore the title of Imperial Master of Global Warming Science.

So John McCain went on tour, and every one in the his audience said, “How incomparable warm it is! What a warm day it is!” No one would let it be perceived that he could not feel warming, for that would have shown that he was not fit for any office, or was very stupid or a flat-earther or a denier. No day of John McCain’s had ever been as warm as this one.

“But I’m freezing my ass off out here!” a little child cried out at last. “Just hear what that innocent says!” said the father: and one whispered to another what the child had said. “But it is cold out here!” said the whole people at length. That touched John McCain, for it seemed to him that they were right; but the thought within himself was, “I must go through with feeling all the Global Warming, I dare not risk to do otherwise.” And so he held himself a little higher, and his aides held on tighter than ever, and all proclaimed the Global Warming which did not exist at all.

MB4 on May 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Stanley, North Dakota, that is…

TexasJew on May 9, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Global Friggin Warming?

Damn, he’s making it so hard to pull the lever…

I’ll have to shower afterwards and it won’t even be January yet.

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 8:41 PM

MB4 on May 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM

funny…

or is it?

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM

funny…

or is it?

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
– either Groucho or Karl Marx

MB4 on May 9, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Is there a way for the Republicans to riot during the convention?

It’s like we’re being taken over by the Pod People!

TexasJew on May 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Actually everything here is owned by the LDS Church, the Indians or the Federal Government.

TooTall on May 9, 2008 at 8:59 PM

We all need to propogate the counter economic message of these ecology false lovers. Everything that the owners of Wall Street, the MSM and both political parties are shooting for depends upon the deprication of working people, to take the worker’s salary and provide all things for the worker.

Hence, EVIL PROFITEERING BUSINESSES
vs. RIGHTEOUS NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS

Don’t let the non-profit ecology inspired green fascists bury you alive with false balloon pricing piracy in the trading of commodities. Get over their hype and their derogatory propaganda against thorough science.

Damn, I keep saying we don’t have a platform–foolish to deny the GOP remodel accomplished WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION behind closed doors.

Together, persistently, squeaky wheel and all,
Demand McCain get off the Progressive Platform!

maverick muse on May 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM

MB4 on May 9, 2008 at 8:50 PM

QUOTATION: History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
ATTRIBUTION: Karl Marx (1818–1883), German political theorist, social philosopher. repr. In Karl Marx: Selected Works, vol. 2 (1942). Paraphrase of the opening sentences of The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte (1852).

The actual words were: “Hegel remarks somewhere that all great, world-historical facts and personages occur, as it were, twice. He has forgotten to add: the first time as tragedy, the second as farce.”

Or as it was stated in the Village Voice:

As the great Karl Marx said, history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

I was hoping for Groucho, I really was…

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Demand McCain get off the Progressive Platform!

maverick muse on May 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Just have The Rock throw a raised eyebrow at him.

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I was hoping for Groucho, I really was…

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
- Groucho

MB4 on May 9, 2008 at 9:46 PM

TheCulturalist on May 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Either he’s dead or my watch has stopped.
- Groucho

MB4 on May 9, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Please shoot me. Maverick is the undisputed champion at doing whatever it takes to keep his base permanently pissed off at him.

David in ATL on May 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM

“I want to assure you I will make this planet clean … we will hand to you a cleaner planet than the one you were living in before I became president of the United States, I promise you that.”

McVain

You can’t promise anything of the sort, Senator, unless you somehow come to control Russia, India, and China, as well as the U.S. And only an imbecile would think that.

This leaves open two things: either you are an imbecile, or possibly you don’t think that, and you are just pandering to the nitwit Global Warming Hysteria crowd. Which is it?

Jaibones on May 9, 2008 at 11:08 PM

BTW, if he does this thing, I will (again) have to apologize to every McCain hater in the commentariat and withdraw each and every argument I have attempted to make which declares McCain to be measurably different than Obama, and a logical choice for conservatives, despite the fact that he is obviously not one.

Ugh.

Jaibones on May 9, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I really don’t think I can stomach voting for him. I can’t reconcile my stark differences with him. How can I vote for a Republican that panders to the hispanics rather than defending the borders? How can I vote for someone that buys into this global warming crap? I really think I’m just going to stay home this election. I can’t vote for someone as pathetic as John McCain. I really believe that the Democrats must have really covertly played their own “Operation Chaos” in order to give us such a pathetic Republican candidate. This is the best we could come up with in the whole U.S. for us? We really don’t deserve to win this upcoming election when you consider who was selected as our Presidential nominee.

And isn’t McCain so presumptuous … he thinks he doesn’t have to pander to us, because we’ve got no choice but to suck it up and vote for him.

Tim

timinnc on May 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM

…..come Election Day there’ll be nary a conservative left in America who won’t be eager to pull the lever for him no matter how far left he tacks.

Gee, I guess I must not be a Conservative. Because that ‘ain’t’ going to happen.

This person who THOUGHT he was a Conservative; (until AllahPundit indicated otherwise), would rather that the President who destroys the American Economy completely, were NOT a Republican.

Barring an absolute Miracle from On High, the next President WILL destroy the economy if Congress is stupid enough to permit it.. (And WILL do incalculable damage to Americas sovereignty too, but that’s a whole different subject).

If a Democrat does it, the Republican party will have a conservative resurgence, with a huge gain of those who are currently wishy-washy moderates and maybe a few liberals who have a sudden introduction to reality. It will make the post-Carter conservative resurgence look like a minor swell.

If a Republican does it, that will pretty much be the end of the GOP and the end of Conservatism forever.

Pretty sad when a hard-core Socialist (Hillary) would probably be less of an economic disaster than a Republican. Better than a stupid America hating, ‘whitey’ hating, Marxist-Maoist like Obama, and better than an arrogant, unbalanced, clueless guy who has NO core beliefs at all other than: “what Johnny wants, Johnny gets, and damned be any evidence that Johnny is wrong”.

Johnny; who surrounds himself with advisers, not because they are experts in their fields, but because they ‘prove their brilliance’ to him by agreeing with him….. Not that it matters, because Arrogant Johnny wouldn’t take advice that was contrary to his own clueless opinions even if it came from the uncontested greatest expert in that field.

Too bad Al Gore is making too much money from his ‘global warming scam’, and doesn’t want to be V.P. again. Johnny’s old Senate Fraternity Buddy would make the perfect V.P for him. They both want to destroy the American Economy, Both hate conservatives….. and think of how many greenies and democrats sick of the Hilobama wars would absolutely flood to that ticket. It would be a ‘marriage’ made in Heaven Hell.

LegendHasIt on May 10, 2008 at 12:51 AM

LegendHasIt:

I think you accidentally put an “if” in there where you meant to put a comma.

I disagree that McCain is in any way worse than the Other Two, but given the amount by which he’s not, I’m not going to get energized about it.

Basically, with McCain, we get a modest amount of gridlock and maybe 1-2 originalist justices.

With the other two, we get a headlong dive into European Socialism, the overbearing nanny state, and an abandonment of the Middle-East to the enemy’s control (if they can even take it back now).

No contest, 3% beats 0% any day – but like I said, not by much.

Merovign on May 10, 2008 at 4:44 AM

Al Gore is having the last laugh.

well said.

moxie_neanderthal on May 10, 2008 at 5:33 AM

I think you accidentally put an “if” in there where you meant to put a comma.

:-)

Good one!

One of the other miracles I’m praying and working hard for is that we get enough Conservatives in Congress to offset whichever bad choice gets elected President.

Thanks for being polite on the rest.

I think you have it backwards on this though:

I’d be pretty happy with gridlock, but it is my well considered opinion that gridlock would be maximized with Obama.

He may be able to play political games at the Chicago level, and fool the ignorant liberal voters, but he WON’T be able to play with the ‘big boys’ inside the beltway. He will be considered an upstart who didn’t wait his turn to run for President. He hasn’t done any favors for his fellow Senators, nor the House, nor for the bureaucrats, so they won’t be doing any for him.

Hillary would be in a little better position in that respect, but with her unlikeability quotient, and the Washington Establishment FINALLY being sick of the Clintons in general, I see a lot of gridlock with her.

But McCain, with his agenda (other than on earmarks and Iraq) completely in lockstep with the Democrats; the RINO and barely conservative Republicans unwilling to buck a Republican President, the few genuine conservatives in Congress will be helpless, and whatever McCain and his Liberal Fraternity Buddies in the Senate want, they will get.

And as far as getting Originalist Supreme Court appointments…
Forget it.
Mr. “Alito is too conservative” is NOT going to appoint any originalists. We would be lucky to get a Justice Kennedy nomination out of him.

Here is the biggest reason that I feel safe in saying that:

If the Supreme Court gets ONE more Originalist, the obviously Unconstitutional McCain-Feingold limitations of First Amendment rights will be overturned.

Johnny Arrogant can’t be having that now, can he?

LegendHasIt on May 10, 2008 at 5:48 AM

When a liberal republican runs against a liberal democrat, the liberal democrat will win EVERY friggen time!

sabbott on May 10, 2008 at 6:51 AM

Just when I think I am OK with McCain, he goes off and does schtuff like this.

hunter on May 10, 2008 at 8:39 AM

On that day, pink elephants will be in abundance, pigs will fly themselves to the slaughterhouse and AP will finally admit that he is a full fledged card carrying lib.

Well, two outta three ain’t bad.

TwinkietheKid on May 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM

I calculate that every third utterance which passes John Kennedy-Feingold-Hernandez McCain’s lips makes me want to barf & flush. The only good thing happening in that clip was Fred Thompson’s slap down. How can any conservative spend ten minutes listening to John “I’ll build your freakin fence” McCain’s brand of crap.

His ascendance to the Republican Ticket was my ticket out of the Republican Party and ya know….. it really wasn’t that hard once you stepped back and looked at the whole thing. Obama, Hillary, McCain….. they’re all highly barfable.

Ernest on May 10, 2008 at 10:38 AM

David in ATL on May 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM

I hate to let you in on the terrible secret, but his base just loooves this stuff.

misterpeasea on May 10, 2008 at 12:55 PM

McCain, who graduated 894th out of 899 in his class at Annapolis, with no advanced degree. GW Bush, BA from Yale, MBA from Harvard. Quayle, BA from DePauw, JD from Indiana University.

Paul-Cincy on May 10, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Unverified. From another thread.

Still, it might explain McC’s inability to grasp simple concepts. He’s tough, no question. But that isn’t a substitute for brains. Not for the Big Chair.

TheCulturalist on May 10, 2008 at 3:36 PM