Fired for rescuing a co-worker from assault

posted at 2:20 pm on May 8, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Mark Beverly probably didn’t expect a hero’s welcome when he returned to his convenience-store job after fighting off an assault on a co-worker from a would-be robber, but he certainly didn’t expect to get fired, either. Super America, which operates a large chain of gas stations and convenience stores in the Midwest, terminated Beverly for violating the policy of the company by fighting with the robber. The termination leaves Beverly without unemployment benefits as well (via True North):

A local gas station employee is out of a job after he thought he was helping save someone’s life.

Mark Beverly was one of two employees inside a Roseville Super America when a robber came into the store on March 26.

Beverly was cleaning the bathroom when he heard the store clerk cry out. He came out to find a robber attacking the female employee.

“I just jumped on his back and trying to hit his head and pushed him over the counter. I jumped back over and he was out of there,” he said.

Later that day, Beverly returned to work only to be punished for his actions.

Super America’s policy actually makes sense — for a robbery. Having worked for many years in retail security, I can understand SA’s insistence on non-interference. That policy saves lives as the risk of the cash loss hardly requires an employee sacrifice their lives to guard it.

Once, on a business trip to train a client on our reporting system, we stayed at their hotel which coincidentally got robbed the night before our appointment. The head of security played us the video of the incident, which showed the overnight clerk fighting with the robber to keep him from grabbing the register, which had at best $200 in it. She got beaten pretty badly for her efforts, and wound up hospitalized for a couple of days. The head of security asked us what we thought, and wanting to be careful about insulting the employee, we guardedly offered that she certainly had courage. He scoffed, saying that she had guts but no brains, and that she was lucky to be alive — and he was right.

All that said, this incident was something quite different. Beverly’s co-worker was getting assaulted, and she could have been killed or seriously injured. At risk to himself, Beverly rescued her before either could happen. Not only is that a natural impulse, but it shows courage and empathy. What else was he supposed to do — call 911 and then watch her get beaten until the police arrived?

Super America should rethink this decision and recognize that defending a co-worker from assault is much different than resisting a robbery.

Comments

What the heck is wrong with companies today? Haven’t they ever heard of extenuating circumstances? Why the draconian enforcement of rules?

HYTEAndy on May 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM

And I’m referring to the other stories we’ve had on HA, like the pizza hut guy.

HYTEAndy on May 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Save us from the bean counters.

– The Cat

MirCat on May 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM

That’s true. I doesn’t make any sense to defend a female from an attacker. I would have asked the person to think about his actions first, and maybe offer him some ice cream… that would have saved the female.

GAG!!

Jared_MA on May 8, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Britain already has officially rejected the concept of self-defense. We’re on our way, with this and the recent Pizza Hut firing of the guy who fought back with his carry weapon.

I remember in grade school, being told by adults not to fight back when I got pushed around, because the perps would get in trouble, and I would get in trouble if I defended myself. Amazing how much worse it got, and how quickly it disappeared when I finally started introducing bullies to the brick wall.

One of the few times my father told me to ignore school rules and not worry about getting in trouble.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Heroes will often go thankless and punished…look at what some of the “conservative” posters have said about John McCain and his service.
If this was someone off the streets, they would give him a medal. He did what was right, bless him.

right2bright on May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Write the company here

RushBaby on May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I wish there was a Super-America around here to boycott.

jgapinoy on May 8, 2008 at 2:29 PM

He could have called Jimmy…

right2bright on May 8, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Anyone know what finally happened with the Pizza Hut guy? I hope THIS guy wins a nice settlement on his appeal.

MadisonConservative on May 8, 2008 at 2:27 PM

That’s what I tell my kids…

dish on May 8, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Super America? Getting more and more distant.

Shy Guy on May 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Let’s make this simple for them
1) boycott Super America
2) boycott Pizza Hut

next?

pabarge on May 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Hey Mr Beverly,

Nuts on Super America. Beer and brauts any time at all.

Limerick on May 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I hope someone hires this guy pronto. Character matters.

moxie_neanderthal on May 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Ok I feel stupid. We don’t have a Super America up here. Is it like a 7-11 or something like that?

upinak on May 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM

The cost of appeasement will be more and more robberies. MadisonConservative’s brickwall method is the only thing that works with these people, and it’s the only thing they know.

Beverly is a hero.

Grafted on May 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM

We don’t have SA here. We have Sheetz, of “crispy frikkin chicken” fame. Thank God.

rightwingprof on May 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Store Locator

RushBaby on May 8, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I am the Director of Risk Management for a large company. I would be commending not reprimanding this man. I have taught thousands of people how to avoid confrontations, but in this case, he was truly doing the right thing.

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends

John 15

His company should rethink their mistake.

Aloha….

jnrz on May 8, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I will be avoiding any SuperAmerica’s if I see one.

saltydogg14 on May 8, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Feminisation of America. Emasculate the males, then they have no role in society. It used to be, men were men …

tarpon on May 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM

He can come to work for my company anytime! If a passanger attacks a crewmember at 40,000 feet, the rest of the crew is REQUIRED to kick his azz!

Tony737 on May 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I worked security for a major store back in college in the early nineties. It was policy never to stop anyone for anything–even if we saw them lifting merchandise. They said it was more expensive to prosecute than to just let the perp go. And earlier, a security guard was sued for tackling someone and the company had to pay the hospital costs. It was the most boring job I ever had. Ridiculous.

robblefarian on May 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM

The would-be robber is probably lawyering up for a civil suit as we speak.

awake on May 8, 2008 at 2:54 PM

robblefarian on May 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM

What they didn’t say is that ignoring it is also more expensive,..but only for the consumer. All those inventory losses get charged back to law abiding purchasers.

a capella on May 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM

No good deed goes unpunished.

Indy Conservative on May 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Watch the video at the site. Mr. Beverly even says that if it had been only a robbery, he wouldn’t have bothered, since Super America is insured. He acted solely to protect his female co-worker.

What’s he supposed to do? Let her get raped or worse?

baldilocks on May 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM

tarpon on May 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I blame the metrosexuals…….and liberals.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 8, 2008 at 3:02 PM

baldilocks on May 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Yep. You can’t violate the robber’s civil rights.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 8, 2008 at 3:03 PM

“Super America”

Not quite.

Django on May 8, 2008 at 3:03 PM

We’re a nation of sheep. “Just let the bad guy have his way, we don’t want anyone to get hurt because they might claim worker’s compensation…’

fossten on May 8, 2008 at 3:04 PM

They were just protecting their fat asses from being sued by the assaulter. You think I’m kidding? Some sleezeball lawyer would take the case and have Beverly, the woman he assaulted and the company in court suing them for mental damages, loss of employment (assaulting people) and medical bills.
Still, a Louisville Slugger is a great deterent for this kind of behavior.

flytier on May 8, 2008 at 3:05 PM

This is stupid.

He’s being punished for breaking policy and resisting a robbery.

That’s not what he did though.

He stopped an assault.

Do the rules specifically say that he is supposed to do nothing if he and/or a coworker are getting beat up or raped?

JadeNYU on May 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Even a policy to not resist robbery is cowardice. Pure cowardice, even if it is just a shyster lawyer that you are afraid of.

Making yourself an easy victim encourages criminals to think that crime pays. Being an easy victim is almost as crass and cowardly as ordering someone else to be.

Spartacus on May 8, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Jeez, not being allowed to come to the aid of someone being assaulted plus it is our fault for Sept. 11 (Jeremiah Wright & Ron Paul) plus The Obamassiah’s foreign policy is to meet with every crackpot thug leader (only attacking semi-allies like Pakistan).

This is making me more and more bitter. Better go cling to my guns.

Seriously, there is such a p*ssification of the western world going on here, both internally and globally. Aren’t we supposed to stand up to bad guys anymore?

rbj on May 8, 2008 at 3:12 PM

This company shouldn’t be called Super America, they should be called Stupid America.

Why FIRE the guy for defending a fellow employee? And why is he ineligible for unemployment benefits?

I’ll bet the company is so stupid they wont even press charges against the assailant. What in God’s name is this country coming to?

Always Right on May 8, 2008 at 3:13 PM

So, if he didn’t help, would the store employee sue him? You poor men are screwed no matter what you do or don’t do. Society needs to figure out your role and let you run with it.

p.s. If he got fired he will get unemployment. Still stupid to fire him, though.

sheesh on May 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM

How about this? Have criminal charges brought against the CEO and others in that company, (or any other company that does dumb things like this), for aiding and abbeting, accessory before the fact, etc. (Or whatever the actual charge would be)

Maybe a few CEO’s convicted of felonies would cause a few others to change their tunes.

evilned on May 8, 2008 at 3:20 PM

insane.
We need to put a stop to criminals suing good people, maybe make the lawyers pay ull court cost and compensation if they loose in court. maybe that would stop some of the stupid lawsuits so people don’t have to fear for their jobs when they do the right thing.

Wyrd on May 8, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Good Samaritan clause needed…not endorsed, not subject to penalty, non-interference from the business

maverick muse on May 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Hopefully, someone local will see the story and hire the guy; I would, if in a place to. He deserves a better employer (as does the female employee).

michaelo on May 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM

That sux.

kirkill on May 8, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Lets use that same logic on 9-11 shall we? We have spent more money and lives than what was lost on 9-11 in our quest to fight terrorism. What would the end result be if we failed in our duty to combat the bad guys? Sure at the moment it seems too costly to fight the robbers and such, but it breeds more robbers when they know they can get away with it.

Conservative Voice on May 8, 2008 at 3:30 PM

He deserves a better employer (as does the female employee). Mike O

ESPECIALLY the female employee! What kind of world do we live in where we are not allowed to protect the women???

Tony737 on May 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM

As I said before, at my work, it’s my JOB to defend my coworkers, if I DON’T, I get fired. The best part is, up there, the other customers onboard will help too. Just ask that guy who tried to hijack that Salt Lake flight … oh wait, you can’t, he’s DEAD!

Tony737 on May 8, 2008 at 3:39 PM

The good news is that I’m sure this man will easily find another job with an employer who respects decency and courage. I’m also sure that many people will boycott that dispicable company who fired him.

orlandocajun on May 8, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Well, no matter what, he did the right thing and should be proud of himself.

Geronimo on May 8, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Obviously his parents raised him improperly. If they had spent more time making a teletubby out of him this wouldn’t have happened. This is a breakdown of the public school system and local government for turning him into a responsible human being. Everyone must be investigated and Bush needs to be impeached.

Limerick on May 8, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Well, no matter what, he did the right thing and should be proud of himself.

Geronimo on May 8, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I’m sure it’s hard to feel proud when you’re unemployed, but I hope he is.

Esthier on May 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM

These companies need some common sense rules. This guy was very brave to do what he did and he is going to be punished for his bravery. I would have done the same thing in a second and so would any man with a pair.

I’m sick of bad things happening to good people who are trying to protect others.

Erockk on May 8, 2008 at 4:05 PM

The sad truth is that criminals aren’t willing to take the money and leave you breathing anymore. Be prepared to fight. If you don’t like guns or can’t get a permit, carry a folding knife. And pepper spray isn’t a bad idea. Just know what you plan to do if the bad guy wants more than your cash.

fleiter on May 8, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Honestly, no man I know could have stood there and DONE NOTHING. A woman’s being assaulted? You jump in and defend her. It’s instinct. I hope this courageous guy lands on his feet with a better paying job somewhere else.

Rational Thought on May 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Write the company here

RushBaby on May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Done.

agape,
robb

wuzrobbd on May 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Just got off the phone with Speedway/SA. Phone lady Janet reluctantly confirmed that the short version of the story is true – a female clerk was being attacked, he jumped in to help her, and he’s been fired.

Sad. I have spent untold thousands of dollars at Speedway over the past 10 years, both as a consumer and as the guy in a small trucking company responsible for finding the right station for our fleet to use exclusively – Speedway.

I’ll try not to jump to conclusions on this, and will watch for updates, but I sure don’t like the first version.

Jaibones on May 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I wish there was a Super-America around here to boycott.

jgapinoy on May 8, 2008 at 2:29 PM

hear, hear

urbancenturion on May 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM

The customer is always right!

Jim Treacher on May 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM

If the attacker started raping her was he supposed to stand there and watch? He was cleaning the bathroom for pete’s sake. Did he have a cellphone on himself? How was he supposed to make a call to 911?

Ed: I understanding you pointing out the policy. I don’t agree with bring it up AT ALL in this case with any defense of it at all, least you give the wrong idea. This wasn’t about sacrificing one’s self for $100.00 in the register. This was about saving a lady’s diginity and possibly her life. ‘Nuff said!

Sultry Beauty on May 8, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Public pressure will get the best of this corporation, and they’ll be forced to hire him back. He’s being lauded as a hero in the media.

RMCS_USN on May 8, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Heaven forbid he had a gun which he used to save his co-worker’s life.

Steve McCullough on May 8, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Write the company here

RushBaby on May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Kaptain Amerika on May 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I just love the effects the nanny state mind set has had on our right to protect ourselves.

Just think… you can also be sued by an assailant for defending your self in public if they survive.

One Angry Christian on May 8, 2008 at 5:30 PM

p.s. If he got fired he will get unemployment. Still stupid to fire him, though

At least in CA, the state defers to the company as to why the person was shown the door. If it was for cause (like breaking a rule in the HR manual), then the state can decline to provide unemployment benefits. The employee can appeal, but that process can take quite a while.

in_awe on May 8, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Right. We must lay down as sheep to the Government as well as to our companies, robbers and thieves.
Somebody needs to hire this man! He came to a fellow coworker that was being attacked. He did the right thing.

JellyToast on May 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Super America’s policy actually makes sense

If you want to be a Sheep then yes it does, but if you want to take back American from the criminals and thugs then no it does not. A better policy in my opinion is to arm every clerk and allow them to shot any robber that comes into the business and I bet robbery would drop big time if this happened.

JeffinSac on May 8, 2008 at 5:54 PM

He should change his name to Peter Parker since neither can catch a break for being good and heroic.

Black Adam on May 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, of course, it’s stupid to fire this guy who did the right thing but it’s hardly surprising. It’s typical corporate thinking, which is to mindlessly cite rules to cravenly avoid risk. It’s the same kind of mindset that treats good and loyal employees like potential serial killers when a layoff comes along. There is a large cohort of managers who ascend the corporate ladder by doing whatever is easiest and most expeditious and forgoing any heart or long-term thinking. It’s all about the risk right in front of their nose and how to clear it from their desk. And that’s why so many people become disgusted with working in corporations.

Tantor on May 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Headline: “Super America Fires Super American”

taznar on May 8, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Stories like this remind me why I despise trial lawyers who make their living by leeching off of American business.

reaganaut on May 8, 2008 at 6:43 PM

This is corporate America at its worst. Where the h*ll is common sense? Super America idiots.

d1carter on May 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Sometimes getting fired is a resume enhancement: this is one of those times.

I’ve always advised young workers to take on challenges fearlessly and go full speed ahead as long as they could explain their actions proudly and the complainers couldn’t explain their problems with it to the boss.

landlines on May 8, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Lawyers

TheCulturalist on May 8, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Maybe he can get a job delivering pizza for Pizza Hut.

No wait, scratch that.

Baggage handler at Glasgow airport?

Captain Scarlet on May 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Lawyers

TheCulturalist on May 8, 2008 at

Yeah,, lawyers,, you need them to protect yourself from other lawyers.

JellyToast on May 8, 2008 at 10:02 PM

HYTEAndy on May 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Only draconian for the legal citizens. But they’ll hire illegals if they can get away with it.

It’s a sad day when you can’t protect yourself or those around you from physical violence. I could care less though what anyone’s stupid policies or laws are though, if I see someone hurting family, friends or neighbors, I’ll do whatever it takes to stop it, screw the legal consequences.

4shoes on May 8, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Those who are considering boycotting Super America, perhaps it would be useful to let them know:

dextergreen on May 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Meh. Never mind. I see RushBaby beat me to the punch.

dextergreen on May 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM

OUR SOCIETY has reached a pinnacle of
self-expression and respect for individuality rare or unmatched in
history. Our entire popular culture — from fashion magazines to the
cinema — positively screams the matchless worth of the individual,
and glories in eccentricity, nonconformity, independent judgment, and
self-determination. This enthusiasm is reflected in the prevalent
notion that helping someone entails increasing that person’s
“self-esteem”; that if a person properly values himself, he will
naturally be a happy, productive, and, in some inexplicable fashion,
responsible member of society.
And yet, while people are encouraged to revel in their individuality
and incalculable self-worth, the media and the law enforcement
establishment continually advise us that, when confronted with the
threat of lethal violence, we should not resist, but simply give the
attacker what he wants. If the crime under consideration is rape,
there is some notable waffling on this point, and the discussion
quickly moves to how the woman can change her behavior to minimize the
risk of rape, and the various ridiculous, non-lethal weapons she may
acceptably carry, such as whistles, keys, mace or, that weapon which
really sends shivers down a rapist’s spine, the portable cellular
phone.
Now how can this be? How can a person who values himself so highly
calmly accept the indignity of a criminal assault? How can one who
believes that the essence of his dignity lies in his self-determination
passively accept the forcible deprivation of that self-determination?
How can he, quietly, with great dignity and poise, simply hand over the
goods?
The assumption, of course, is that there is no inconsistency. The
advice not to resist a criminal assault and simply hand over the goods
is founded on the notion that one’s life is of incalculable value, and
that no amount of property is worth it. Put aside, for a moment, the
outrageousness of the suggestion that a criminal who proffers lethal
violence should be treated as if he has instituted a new social
contract: “I will not hurt or kill you if you give me what I want.”
For years, feminists have labored to educate people that rape is not
about sex, but about domination, degradation, and control. Evidently,
someone needs to inform the law enforcement establishment and the media
that kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and assault are not about
property.
Crime is not only a complete disavowal of the social contract, but
also a commandeering of the victim’s person and liberty. If the
individual’s dignity lies in the fact that he is a moral agent engaging
in actions of his own will, in free exchange with others, then crime
always violates the victim’s dignity. It is, in fact, an act of
enslavement. Your wallet, your purse, or your car may not be worth
your life, but your dignity is; and if it is not worth fighting for, it
can hardly be said to exist.

Jeff Snyder, Nation of Cowards

Read the rest at http://www.rkba.org/comment/cowards.txt

AZ_Redneck on May 8, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Here’s the comment I left at the Superamerica web site:

As a long time customer of Superamerica and stockholder in Marathon Oil, I am very upset about the recent firing of Mark Beverly in the Twin Cities for rescuing a coworker from a vicious attack during a robbery.

It’s one thing to have a policy of letting the robber take the money, but it’s a totally different situation when a coworker is being attacked. Mark is a hero and should not be fired. You need MORE employees like him, not less.

If you do not rehire him, I’ll have to turn in my SpeedyRewards card, boycott your stations and sell my MRO stock.

And by the way, I really am a stockholder.

Dr. Bob on May 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM

better yet … go read the whole collection of essays. buy the book.

AZ_Redneck on May 9, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Write the company here

RushBaby on May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Thanks, Rush, just left my message.

Rosmerta on May 9, 2008 at 3:01 AM

Sent this to SA this morning;
So you have decided to fire a courageous worker who came to the aid of a co-worker who was being assaulted by a thief? That is truly remarkable and shall cause me to NEVER darken your doors again! I shall also recommend to anyone I know that they do the same! It is time that the American people wake up and start doing business with corporations that “get it”!

Good Luck!

sabbott on May 9, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Got an email back from the company:

Thank you for contacting us and making us aware of your concerns regarding our SuperAmerica store located in Roseville, MN.

dangerous situation.

Please understand that personnel issues are very sensitive and strictly confidential. Be assured that appropriate management personnel have been made aware of your comments and concerns.

We appreciate your concern as well as your patronage, and hope that you will continue to be one of our valued customers.

Sincerely,

Speedway SuperAmerica
Customer Service

RushBaby on May 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM

This company wrongly terminated this individual because it is choosing to enforce the wrong policy.

The policy of not resisting a robber and give them the cash is proper. It protects the employee from harm by not antagonizing the robber.

Individuals committing such acts are not thinking clearly. Giving them the cash or whatever they demand calmly prevents the robber from moving to the next phase, using stronger verbal abuse/threats to gain compliance, the third phase is the ultimate act to gain compliance physical violence.

His actions were not related to the act of robbery. He was obviously upholding the company’s Safety Policy. Federal law dictate employers are responsible for maintaining a safe environment for all employees. Therefore, this employee was compiling with the safety policy to protect a fellow employee and customers by removing a known hazard.

Thus the company is applying the wrong policy in terminating this employee and needs to have a training course to assure management understand the distinction between safety and security.

MSGTAS on May 9, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Rushbaby…I got the same “form” email back from the company today also. I hope they got a ton of negative feedback from customers. To me the letter tells me they are still missing the point. There is a difference between confronting a robber and protecting yourself or your co-worker. How can their policy not take that into account? It’s this freakin’ zero-tolerance world we live in. Heaven forbid that people have a flexible policy that you can look at a situation on a case by case basis.

b4itsover on May 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Here’s my letter to SA, sent yesterday.

“Speedway SuperAmerica LLC is committed to making a positive difference in the lives of our customers and the communities in which we operate.”

It is really nice to see your company’s commitment to the community, unfortunately that doesn’t hold true for it’s employees.

It is unconscionable to see how Mark Beverly was treated for his actions. It’s nice to see that saving a fellow employee from potential rape or murder is against company policy and worthy of dismissal.

Your company’s statement about never taking action is BS, it gives the criminals incentive to target your stores more in the future, thus placing store employees at greater risk and ensures that I WILL NEVER SHOP AT YOUR STORES EVER.

I received the same form email back like others. It’s apparent that they just don’t get it.

tripster on May 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I too am in the trucking business and have spent thousands at Speedway locations over the last 25 years.

I got the same reply from SA as everyone else.

Forwarded it to Bill O’Reilly

Go get em Bill!

DJ Dubya on May 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Hopefully if one of the powers that be at SA mother/wife/daughter is ever assualted there will be a Mark Beverly there for them.

Jarhed7276 on May 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM

b4itsover on May 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Not sure they can look at every situation case-by-case, goodness knows how many thousands of people they employ. The lesson they need is to get out in front of potential PR disasters. If their legal eagles concluded that the termination must stand (for reasons we cannot be privy to), then they should have immediately created the “Mark Beverly Award for Heroism” and bestowed it on him with great fanfare in the press.

At least they are responding to the criticism. We all got the same form letter, but I for one would be pretty steamed if they had just ignored me.

RushBaby on May 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I emailed the corporation and here was the response:

Confronting a potentially armed robber could have serious consequences for employees and customers. While it is regrettable this situation occurred, it is important that we have and enforce policies to ensure the safety of all our employees and customers during a potentially dangerous situation.

Sincerely,

Speedway SuperAmerica
Customer Service

A typical corporate response.

RMCS_USN on May 9, 2008 at 1:56 PM