Video: Pro-life memorial destroyed because abortion’s a right and you’re not allowed to challenge that

posted at 3:36 pm on May 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

This principle was codified, I believe, in the “You’re Not Allowed to Disagree Act of 2002.” In defense of our hero, he’s just following his political instincts: He sees something that challenges his beliefs and, voila, down it goes. Think of it as the Fairness Doctrine for campus protests.

And before you ask, no, your right to free speech that he’s challenging doesn’t count. Exit question one: This sort of makes sense by Doug Kmiec standards, no? Exit question two: “If there’s a student on this campus that … might be having an abortion, might be going through this, you’re going to put this up in front of them? Are you crazy?”

Comments

God help our country.

ToddonCapeCod on May 7, 2008 at 3:39 PM

When will conservatives learn that they DO NOT have a right to espouse their facts, logic, and beliefs. All conservatives need to go to re-education camp and be forcefully tortured until they comply with the almighty liberal way of FEEEEEELINGS.

PrettyD_Vicious on May 7, 2008 at 3:42 PM

This reminds me of Mike Adams’ recent column suggesting that liberals should not be allowed to own guns.

TheNolan on May 7, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Once again the LEFT demonstrates it’s commitment to free speech.

Maxx on May 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Well Obama just lost my vote!

Agrippa2k on May 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Liberal academia: stomping on free speech rights since eternity.

I kind of like the idea that I can destroy something as my right to free speech… There are quite a few modern “works of art” that come to mind.

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Ah, the College Leftist Sturmabteilung in action.

doubleplusundead on May 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM

And the cop just let’s this moron keep doing it?

I presume the next time lefty freaks hold a protest it’s okay to rip up their signs.

Is that the new rule? Good to know.

Where was this?

Drew on May 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Unreal. I guess the left doesn’t like being reminded of the fact that a fetus is actually a life.

spkthed on May 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM

What school is this?

Beo on May 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Goes both ways, I’m afraid.

AJB on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I know it’s wrong, but I kept waiting for someone to kick his ass.

Lord, forgive me.

Hening on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Beo on May 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM

UW-Whitewater I think?

freakagriep on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Sorry, UW-Stevens Point.

freakagriep on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I think his actions were great. The YouTube exposure of his tantrum gets the pro-lifers message to a much bigger base.

Well done, sir! Carry on!

Limerick on May 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Didn’t some woman do the same thing last year on a different campus? Using the exact same “reasoning”?

The Apologist on May 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Why do gay people even care about a abortion? Isn’t it kind of an academic issue for them?

frankj on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Regardless of where you stand on abortion, this was just wrong. You don’t have the right to challenge a “right”? That’s the guy’s argument?

From the story:

“You don’t have to agree with this. I don’t agree with this, but they have just as much right to be here as the Pro-Choice Alliance,” student Colleen Kiefer said.

amerpundit on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Totally unsurprising. They don’t even care that they’re being filmed, that’s how sure they are they won’t get in trouble for destroying an expression of free speech. Abortion uber alles don’t you know, the super-right that trumps all others.

Was president of a pro-life student group on a state university campus some years ago and our posters would be routinely torn down, or defaced with “Coat Hanger Club,” we’d routinely be verbally assaulted on Student Group Day in the student union, etc.

When we applied for funding like any other group (there were two “prochoice” groups that got funding) we were repeatedly interrupted and shouted down while giving our short presentation in the meeting and initially voted out. We appealed based on the fairness issue and (I think fearing a lawsuit, they knew we wouldn’t give in) the governing body voted us some funding: a big $60.00 for the year if I recall correctly. :)

inviolet on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I was hoping someone would go behind him, replanting the crosses. That’s what I would have done.

What is it about college that makes it a haven for liberalism? I mean, I know the teachers have something to do with it, but seriously, I became more conservative while taking college courses. I don’t get it. Maybe I should just leave it at that.

the goddess anna on May 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM

The Apologist on May 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Liberals are free to do whatever they please on campus, anyone who has been to a college in the past 10 years can tell you this is typical.

doubleplusundead on May 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM

That, folks, is how totalitarian movements begin.

spmat on May 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM

What a whiny voice he has, Self-righteous, petulant and totally “gay” sounding.

PrettyD_Vicious on May 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Yup. Since Planned Parenthood wants people to believe that an abortion carries all the moral weight of a flu shot, we must be crazy to encourage people to look around and realize the emotional, psychological, and physical gravity of the choice they make.

See? It really is about feelings.

Spc Steve on May 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM

“You’re not helping the children!”

mikeyboss on May 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM

the goddess anna on May 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Personally, I would have enjoyed someone hitting him with the cross… It’s what I would have done.

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM

frankj

Glad you said it.

Agrippa2k on May 7, 2008 at 3:53 PM

He wants his free speech protected, but not the pro-life groups? That’s liberal logic for you!

Reaganite84 on May 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Hate Crime!!!!

VolMagic on May 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Somehow, I very seriously doubt he’ll ever have to worry about his “girlfriend” getting an abortion. Nice lisp, huh?

Torch on May 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM

It’d be like picking on the special ed kid – with apologies to special ed kids.

the goddess anna on May 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Oh, God forbid, that a woman who’s about to kill her unborn child should have her delicate sensibilities assaulted by an idea–the unthinkable idea that she’s killing someone. Kinder to let her go on her way un-offended, right?

NellE on May 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM

The irony is, the crosses were still there, just aborted…

right2bright on May 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM

This guy appears to be suffering from Aesop’s Fable Syndrome: “It is easy to despise what you cannot get”. I’ve got $20 that says he’ll be starting hormone injections before Summer.

DanKenton on May 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Anyone have a link to the story?

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM

One other quick observation: Why don’t the liberals apply this logic to gun rights? It’s already a right so no one can ever challange it.

Reaganite84 on May 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Because they’re incapable of understanding the word “hypocrisy”

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Goes both ways, I’m afraid.

AJB on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Nope, it only goes one way. Larry Northern was wrong and this guy is wrong.

Maxx on May 7, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Reaganite84 on May 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Because shut the hell up, wingnut, that’s why!

/liberal logic

doubleplusundead on May 7, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I think that it’s only fitting that the Crosses were knocked down.

Doesn’t that reflect the culture of death, perfectly?

OhEssYouCowboys on May 7, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I am guessing he was more offended by the crosses than the pro-life message.

Grafted on May 7, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Like he has a clue. I want to see the statistics on how many women have had more than one abortion, even several.

Agrippa2k on May 7, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Ahh the symbolism of flinging crosses to the ground so nonchalantly.

Brad on May 7, 2008 at 4:02 PM

frankj on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Well they certainly don’t reproduce themselves…. yet anyway *barf*

Brad on May 7, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Well done, sir! Carry on!

Limerick on May 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM

You’re right. This guy is acting like he is possessed.
I recently read that you don’t get involved with this type behavior since God already has it under control.

Like the Pope said on Family Guy, “He’za cookin’ somethin’a up, up’a there”.

Hening on May 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM

If they have no problem destroying the person that the fetus would have become, why would they have a problem destroying a religious symbol that recognizes and mourns the loss of the person?

I really think the truth is these people lie to themselves to make the stuff they do “okay.” That is why they are so dammed angry all the time. They simply cannot stand to be reminded what they know deep down in their hearts; they are killing babies.

EJDolbow on May 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Ah yes, I remember when I knew everything.

oakpack on May 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Imagine the outrage if conservatives did this to a pro choice exhibit…

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Throw out your hands, stick out your tush, hands on your hips… give it a push. Next thing you know you’re doing the French mistake. Voila!

Dash on May 7, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Abortion Man to the rescue. Relieving punishments, for great (social)justice!

ninjapirate on May 7, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I seem to remember a certain display of crosses in Crawford, Texas, and a parent’s attempt to take one down that had his son’s name on it.

I also remember a POS thug who tried to stop the guy from doing it.

“Do not put this in front of all of us…” Haha, compared to the garbage that they shove down everyone’s throat.

I’d be interested in seeing the follow up action by the university.

reaganaut on May 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Well they certainly don’t reproduce themselves…. yet anyway *barf*

Brad on May 7, 2008 at 4:03 PM

My gay mother had me – yes, the old-fashioned way, but there are other gay parents out there, so you know.

She also happens to be pro-life. I know, I come from a strange family.

the goddess anna on May 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM

The stunning amount of education he has had about the first amendment pretty much matches what 90% of the college students I know believe the first amendment to be.

Glad we don’t even look at the constitution anymore. Direct quote from a girl who just said this reflexively, she’s not even a committed liberal: “the government’s there to take care of us”

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

frankj on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I was trying to make the point during a recent pro-gay event at my church that some of the stereotyping that kids engage in doesn’t really work, like the lisping and swishing stereotype of homosexual males.

Oops.

Jaibones on May 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

What is it about college that makes it a haven for liberalism?

Complete personal freedom divorced from financial responsibility?

John on May 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

AJB on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Dude, this has happened before lead by a professor who took her students out to dismantle the offensive display. One pro-military guy acted like a nut. That does equate to protestors vandalizing these kinds of displays over and over again. You are mistaken.

Sultry Beauty on May 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

reaganaut on May 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM

What follow up action? He’s a black (presumably gay) liberal student. You don’t mess with that, all sorts of lawsuits will ensue.

John_Locke on May 7, 2008 at 4:10 PM

frankj on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

That guy is so light in the loafers and utterly effeminate, that he’s doing what SHE would have done if HE would not been born a radical feminist liberal in a mans body. It makes perfect sense from a psychological stand point.

The fact is, he/she is damn lucky his mother didn’t get an abortion when he/she was but a zygote, so he can be there in all his magnificence doing what he/she is doing… or maybe he/she wishes his mother had?!

SilverStar830 on May 7, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Few remarks:

1 – Wouldn’t it be easier for that fella to remove the crosses while being in their standing positions?

2 – I’m Catholic and I don’t believe in abortion but I also don’t believe in going too far in protesting. You can’t stop people from having abortion. You can advise, counsel and alert and that’s it. Planting crosses won’t help getting your message across.

3 – I think pro-life people and especially Catholics should focus on changing themselves and their churches to the better instead of meddling in other people’s private life.

4 – Americans are hypocrites.

5 – Has anybody seen Dick Cheney lately?

6 – Life Sucks.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Complete personal freedom divorced from financial responsibility?

John on May 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Maybe that’s why it didn’t affect me. I had a family by the time I went to college, and I paid my own way (well, the GI Bill helped). Little freedom and complete financial responsibility. I’m thinking our kids are paying their own way if they go. They won’t have time to deny others their free speech if they’re too busy working to pay for school.

the goddess anna on May 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I’d be interested in seeing the follow up action by the university.

reaganaut on May 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM

I’ll be shocked if there is any.

amerpundit on May 7, 2008 at 4:13 PM

BTW, this is far from the worst thing one could say to someone who has had an abortion. I think that would be something like…

“Do you realize you just paid someone to rip your own child limb from limb while it was alive and toss it out like trash?”

John on May 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Ya, I know, that’s what makes it interesting.:)

reaganaut on May 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Ah yes, I remember when I knew everything.

oakpack on May 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Me too, but I don’t think I ever knew that much.

Maxx on May 7, 2008 at 4:16 PM

They certainly don’t want anyone equating unborn children with human beings, that would seriously endanger their argument. My exit question: why didn’t touching those crosses cause his hands to burn?

Think_b4_speaking on May 7, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Allah, is there a problem with the Hillary, I am ready to rock on Thread? 404, not found error.

upinak on May 7, 2008 at 4:23 PM

That, folks, is how totalitarian movements begin.

spmat on May 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM

No, it didn’t begin there. That’s just evidence that it’s already in motion. Where did it begin? Let’s see what a former President said about that:

The fundamental basis of this Nation’s law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teaching we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St. Paul. I don’t think we emphasize that enough these days. If we don’t have the proper fundamental moral background we will finally end up with a totalitarian government, which does not believe in the right for anybody except the state.

–President Harry S. Truman

Three Secular Reasons Why America Should be Under God

Red Pill on May 7, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Really? That’s a lot better than walking around with giant pictures of aborted babies, or harassing women at abortion clinics, or shooting abortion doctors.

I thought it was a nice touch of irony considering how the lefties love to plant crosses for victims of “The War for Oil”, or those Eyes Wide Open wackos with their boot displays.

The bottom line is some kids on campus took it upon themselves to put up an exhibit, and by listening to the clip they had approval from the university. They got the added bonus of fliming a couple of liberal ass-clowns doing what they do best, trying to stifle opinion and destroying things.

Plus, knowing how much liberals fear crosses, flags and other symbols, it’s perfect.

reaganaut on May 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Deja vu?

The left is reliable, not original, but reliable…

Theworldisnotenough on May 7, 2008 at 4:28 PM

You can’t stop people from having abortion.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM

You can’t stop people from robbing banks either, but that doesn’t mean it should be lawful.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Fifty million dead children in Americia alone.

Maxx on May 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM

reaganaut on May 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM

People of all faith or no faith take everything to the extreme here in America.

Moderation and persuasion is the best solution to all problems.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Indy Conservative

Yeah…God forbid that anyone should ever call sin an sin in public. Someone might get offended.

sdd on May 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM

This guy (?) is a perfect example why Roe v Wade should not be overturned. Too bad his mother did not avail herself of Planned no-Parenthood.

Wade on May 7, 2008 at 4:37 PM

You know, this dude dudette whatever’s mother made a choice…….Rightly or wrongly.

Jussayin……..

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Maxx on May 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Abortion is a private matter.

Robbing a bank is a public crime.

Those who kill the unborn will be punished by God, He sees and knows those who committed the crime.

I understand, there is speculation about when an unborn is a complete human being, but there were no anti-abortion laws at the time of Jesus and surely there were abortions at His time, but I guess He didn’t seem necessary to talk about that issue.

And I know, He didn’t talk about many or all other issues in life, but let’s be moderate, let’s focus on changing ourselves first, God can take care of His children, even the dead among them.

Again, we take everything to the extreme here in America.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM

sdd on May 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Should I go yell, shout and defame you in public if I knew that you did something wrong?

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Sassy! I would have loved to see “Serge” pick up a cross and throw it. I wonder how he would react to someone violating a Matthew Shepard Memorial.

Squarestate on May 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Abortion is a private matter.

The preamble to our Constitution binds the government to secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.

A moral issue, or not, it’s fundamental to our consent to government.

Spirit of 1776 on May 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Is there a link to some sort of news story about this incident? I’d like a bit more background and information, such as if this protest had a permit to use the grounds for a display of crosses. If it didn’t, anyone was well within their rights to pull those crosses out of the ground. This YouTube clip doesn’t tell me much.

Viscount_Bolingbroke on May 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Heterosexuality is a right and you’re not allowed to challenge it…….right?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM

This shows that the left is all for dissent – as long as it’s dissent that they agree with.

Bigfoot on May 7, 2008 at 4:52 PM

In honor of “Roderick”, I just gave $1000 to Planned Parenthood specifically for the abortion of black fetuses. Happy now “Roderick”?

Andy in Agoura Hills on May 7, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Tazer him bro. Please tazer him.

Les in NC on May 7, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Where’s Jim Brossard when you need him to tear up a rainbow flag?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 7, 2008 at 4:53 PM

A moral issue, or not, it’s fundamental to our consent to government.

Spirit of 1776 on May 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Are you saying that government should intervene more than it’s doing now already in making our private decisions?

Maybe government should take ownership of all pregnant women to secure “posterity.”

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM

DanKenton on May 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM

REG You want to have an abortion?!?!?!

STAN It’s every man’s right to have an abortion if he wants one.

REG But you can’t have an abortion.

STAN Don’t you oppress me.

REG I’m not oppressing you, Stan — you haven’t got a womb. Where’s the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?

(STAN starts crying.)

JUDITH Here! I’ve got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can’t actually have abortions, not having a womb, which is nobody’s fault, not even the Republicans’, but that he can have the *right* to have abortions.

FRANCIS Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have abortions, brother. Sister, sorry.

REG What’s the point?

FRANCIS What?

REG What’s the point of fighting for his right to have an abortion, when he can’t have an abortion?

FRANCIS It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

REG It’s symbolic of his struggle against reality.

logis on May 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM

A man’s home is his castle. But you can’t kill your kids in your home.

Did this genius get admitted through some affirmative action program? Was he sleeping with someone in admissions?

ZRyan on May 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I’m saying what I already said. But I will add to it this:

It appears to me that you are thinking monolithically. I.e. that government is either in or out. Reality is that there are multiple levels of government, and various powers are reserved for various levels. The point of that distinction is that what you are advocating, less government involvement, is exactly the opposite of what we have. The government has involved itself – to the point of saying that no community of individuals, beit at state or local or whatever level can prohibit that behavior among themselves.

That means the government at the highest level has interjected itself to dictate that moral view on the entire nation. It doesn’t have the authority to do that, as I’m illustrating to you, I hope, the preamble, in fact, suggests the behavior so far regarding this issue is opposite their mandate.

Spirit of 1776 on May 7, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I’ve been in the NYC NARAL office and it was staffed by stereotypical lesbians.

The poor nitwit made the demonstration so much more effective. If they were smart they left it like that.

exception on May 7, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I know it’s wrong, but I kept waiting for someone to kick his ass.

Lord, forgive me.

Hening on May 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

No need for forgiveness Hening, sometimes a good azz whipping is needed.

It amazes me (although I don’t know why it should considering the lefts past track record) when the left is offended by someone exercising their right to free speech it is no longer a protected right and it’s ok to then shut/shout them down but if it’s their free speech (no matter how offensive it may be) don’t anyone dare even think of shouting or shutting them down!

What’s more infuriating to me is I would never think of shutting down someone or some organization that was exercising their free speech, I may express my disdain or disagreement but would never think of (let alone attempt) to shut them down or destroy their display no matter how offensive and vile their speech is, yet they do and in the same breath they call themselves “progressive” and accuse our government of being oppressive?

The mindset, logic (or in this case illogic) and ideology of the leftards is truly frightening, hypocritical, and absolutely backwards! It’s no wonder they make such good apologists for terrorists!

Liberty or Death on May 7, 2008 at 5:02 PM

frankj on May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

For the same reason that many conservatives care about gay marriage – holier-than-thou paternalism. To varying degrees, we all have an ugly desire to force other people to live the way we want them to live.

Enrique on May 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Enrique on May 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Dude, that comment so fvckin’ schtupid. I bet you don’t have children either.

Andy in Agoura Hills on May 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM

She also happens to be pro-life. I know, I come from a strange family.

the goddess anna

But not *that* gay?

That does, somewhat, explain the narcissistic username. May God Bless You.

kirkill on May 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM

JUDITH Here! I’ve got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can’t actually have abortions, not having a womb, which is nobody’s fault, not even except the Republicans’everything is always their fault…

logis on May 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Sorry I couldn’t resist, after all according to rule #1 of the leftard playbook everything is the fault of the rethuglicans and leftard rule #2 is if it’s really not the fault of the rethuglicans see rule#1…

Liberty or Death on May 7, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Enrique on May 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Of course the TRUTH is that gays don’t really care about marriage. Just their holier-than-thou desire to destroy traditional (like thousands of years traditional) marriage.

Every gay person I know has multiple partners, so why do they care? You know that’s the truth, so don’t point to the 1% of gays that are “monogamous”.

kirkill on May 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Spirit of 1776 on May 7, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I know, I misunderstood you. We are in agreement. I was busy with that guy Rush Limbaugh on the other topic and other stuff. But thanks for elaborating.

Can’t do all that at the same time: eating, drinking, and commenting on 3 different topics, feeding the dog, kicking the cat’s butt and checking the mail.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 5:19 PM

kirkill on May 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Oh, my mom is queerer than a three dollar bill. Had me to get under her mom’s skin.

My screenname has nothing to do with this.

the goddess anna on May 7, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Abortion is a private matter.

Robbing a bank is a public crime.

Indy Conservative on May 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM

A private matter up to the point that nations begin experiencing calamitous demographic issues because of the casualness with which abortion has been accepted. That acceptance is a major contributing factor in the reevaluation of the importance of human life, thus leading to major challenges to the way of life in many Western countries.

KGB on May 7, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Exit answer #1: Huh?

Exit answer #2: Yes. Does the name John Brown ring any bells?

locomotivebreath1901 on May 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM