Arianna: McCain told me he didn’t vote for Bush in 2000

posted at 7:51 pm on May 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Neither did Glenn, neither did I. (I didn’t vote.) Granted, she’s a buffoon and a completely unreliable witness, but … do we maybe want to force ourselves to believe this one?

At a dinner party in Los Angeles not long after the 2000 election, I was talking to a man and his wife, both prominent Republicans. The conversation soon turned to the new president. “I didn’t vote for George Bush” the man confessed. “I didn’t either,” his wife added. Their names: John and Cindy McCain (Cindy told me she had cast a write-in vote for her husband).

The fact that this man was so angry at what George Bush had done to him, and at what Bush represented for their party, that he did not even vote for him in 2000 shows just how far he has fallen since then in his hunger for the presidency.

That our nominee is, shall we say, less than a fully devout Republican is something already well known to the base. A new tale of party betrayal will hurt him — but a tale of Bush betrayal, specifically? Dubya’s approval rating is 28%; according to the new Gallup, he’s a bigger liability for McCain than Wright is for Obama (although, surprisingly, only slightly). Conservatives who don’t want to believe the story can simply discard it based on the source and independents who do want to believe it can accept it as proof that McCain’s not the Bush clone the left wants him to be. Thanks, Arianna! Exit question: What did she hope to accomplish by mentioning this? Anything coherent? Bear in mind, this is a woman who convinced herself last summer that the conservative outcry against McCain had to do with his support for the war, not that little immigration matter you might have heard about. It fell to Glenn Greenwald, of all people, to set her straight.

Update (Ed): I’m as mystified as Allahpundit about this story. McCain and Bush had hard feelings following the primary in 2000, so McCain’s reluctance to vote for Bush doesn’t surprise me at all. Arizona wasn’t exactly a battleground state in 2000, so McCain’s abstention hardly put the election at risk. The only takeaway from this anecdote is that McCain and Bush have two different approaches to politics, which undermines the McSame argument the DNC wants to sell this year.

And the “how much he has fallen” spin doesn’t work, either. McCain and Bush worked together on some issues and in opposition on others. McCain isn’t exactly running around the country on the Bush bandwagon. And doesn’t their rapprochement also negate the “McCain holds grudges forever” meme that Democrats pushed along as part of their focus on anger management?

Allow me to thank Arianna, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And yes, McCain is the biggest racist on the planet in the history of the world. I agree with the NAACP.

ThackerAgency on May 5, 2008 at 8:47 PM

I like you ThackerAgency. This is not worthy of you.

Entelechy on May 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM

4) Arianna wouldn’t wait 7 minutes before telling someone about this, much less 7 years.

No flipping way. None.

Pythagoras on May 5, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Plus your other points. You made my evening. Love your nom de plume!

Entelechy on May 5, 2008 at 11:47 PM

No. He still hates conservatives because we didn’t get him the nomination in 2000.

The only reason he’s “rapproching” with Dubya is that it is politically convenient for him right now. Bush isn’t running against him, after all, so where’s the damage? Besides, Bush isn’t a conservative either, even Clinton was more of a conservative than him, so it’s not like he’s “sleeping with the enemy.”

He is just kissing up to a socialist with an “R” next to his name for a change.

He is and was a narcissistic, lying fool who would happily dig up his grandmother and set her corpse on fire if he felt that it would get him a single vote.

He’s not out to “get his dues”, he’s out to destroy the accursed conservatives that dared turn him down in 2000, and the best way of getting them, indeed the ONLY way he can get to them (us) is by destroying the Republican Party as a choice for conservatives.

And he’s done a fine job of that so far. Destroying the country by turning our elections for decades into a choice between communist and socialist is, after all, a small price to pay for that petty, insane old bastard as long as he gets even.

Benedict McCain.

Misha I on May 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Yeah, “Benedict McCain.” McTraitor, right? Yeah!!!!

wise_man on May 5, 2008 at 11:58 PM

I like you ThackerAgency. This is not worthy of you.

Entelechy on May 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM

I’m actually just goofing. But I’m making a point too. Something absurd like this is going to happen to make McCain seem racist. They tried to call Bill and Hillary racist, what makes you think they won’t do the same to McCain. His pandering to the racist sensibilities of Hispanics is a perfect place for the NAACP to start digging.

I’m just saying that he’s failed to go to bat for me and my concerns on a consistent basis. When the NAACP gets its talons into McCain don’t expect me to defend him. It’ll be easier to just agree. He has done nothing to make me want to defend him. I can’t wait for the debates. . . he’ll mess up once, and that’ll be on his tombstone compliments of the NAACP. Watch and learn.

ThackerAgency on May 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM

I didn’t vote in 2000 either. I thought it was an election between two silver spoon 2nd generation politicians, neither of whom impressed me much. Had I known that Gore is a lunatic, I’d have voted for Bush several times…well, OK, I’d have voted for him once.

That’s part of my motivation in telling people that it’s much better to vote for McCain than to help Obama become Commander in Chief while we have troops in harm’s way.

I could have helped elect Al Gore for God’s sake. I thank all of you who knew better and voted for Bush in 2000.

funky chicken on May 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Dubya wasn’t Dubya in 2000..

He wasn’t Dubya until he was standing on that Pile of Ruble in NY City with that Mega-Phone.

Chakra Hammer on May 6, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Chakra Hammer on May 6, 2008 at 12:40 AM

That was a very shinning moment alright.

Too bad Dubya has mostly gone down hill ever since.

Murphy9 on May 6, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Too bad Dubya has mostly gone down hill ever since.

Murphy9 on May 6, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Yep

Wade on May 6, 2008 at 8:45 AM

I get the impression that Ariana is morphing into Rosie. She’s fading into irrelevance and needs to draw attention to herself once in a while, and this is just the vehicle.

It ain’t news.

drjohn on May 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM

It took from 2000 to 2008 for her to say this?
That seems odd, she’s such a blabber mouth.

maverick muse on May 6, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Why would anybody with a decent memory have trouble believing this?

We all know McCain holds grudges. McCain hated Bush in 2000. He felt he’d been robbed of the nomination. He felt he’d been mistreated by those bullies in South Carolina who spread lies about him. He whined about it publicly, like a petulant child. His animosity toward George W Bush was common knowledge then. Heck, it was used as the explanation for why he was continually siding with Democratic initiatives in the Senate for the first few years of the Bush administration.

This is a non-story if there ever was one. OF COURSE he didn’t vote for Bush in 2000. Who ever thought he had?

philwynk on May 6, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Arianna is the epitome of a dingbat and I would question the intellect of anyone that listens to her and takes her seriously.

rplat on May 6, 2008 at 9:02 AM

I love grandma taters. Her life reads like a minor character sub plot from the Valley of the Dolls. She owes her status to the fact she was able and willing to play her part in a farcical marriage and then got paid. It certainly doesn’t hurt her standing among the left that she speaks with an accent, which makes everything she says sound brilliant, sophisticated and insightful.

Beyond that she’s an intellectual lightweight who has bounced around more than an untethered buoy in a hurricane.

moxie_neanderthal on May 6, 2008 at 9:04 AM

Zsa Zsa looks pretty good for her age.

right2bright on May 6, 2008 at 9:29 AM

So McCain didn’t vote for George Bush? BFD. They were opponents. Does ZsaZsa really think this is news? I watched the interview of her with John Stossel and came away knowing 1.) She’s a brainwashed airhead who can’t debate
when facts are involved.
2.) She’s not wrapped too tight. How does one go
from being a supposed conservative to a barking
moonbat that quickly? Either she was an idiot
to begin with, and found the light or she
recently became an idiot. I say she has always
been a self-important idiot who really knows
nothing about politics or history.
I love when she does an appearance on “Meltdown with Keith
Olbergoebbels” and ends with “Tdank yewww Keet” Idiot…..

adamsmith on May 6, 2008 at 9:31 AM

McCain showed rank disloyalty to the party he thinks should follow him into the weeds.

You know who this helps? McCain.

spmat on May 6, 2008 at 9:58 AM

And I’m still going to vote for Mav.

LtE126 on May 6, 2008 at 10:13 AM

LtE126 on May 6, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, dammit. Me too.

philwynk on May 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM

He’s a pig; I’ll be campaigning for him; and I reserve the right to scream and curse at his staff when he pulls some liberal crap on immigration or ANWR once in office.

Jaibones on May 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM

If you want to worry about something, worry about why Arianna Huffington is doing McCain favors. First the bitter clingers story, and now this. I don’t assume that it’s exactly true, that Arianna heard it first-hand from John and Cindy, but it sure doesn’t hurt McCain’s chance to be President.

RBMN on May 6, 2008 at 10:43 AM

And your point is? Arianna?

I’m thinking along the lines of spmat, above.

McCain not agreeing with Pres. Bush is probalby a good thing in his current campaign.

The question in my mind, is she trying to help or hurt McCain?

Lawrence on May 6, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Just curious, but were any of you alive when Arianna was a conservative?

ClassicCon on May 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM

So this tool married a rich, gay American for: a) his money and status b) to keep his dirty little secrets and c) so she could stay in a country that she clearly doesn’t like? That makes her nothing more than a prostitute.

foxforce91 on May 6, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Just curious, but were any of you alive when Arianna was a conservative?
ClassicCon on May 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM

The first time I recall her name is when she was reportedly responsible for a TV ad that told all the people who drove SUV’s that they were responsible for terrorist attacks on American soil and worldwide. Because of your consumption of oil.

Later when she was asked about her own consumption, such as when she takes private jets across the US for her own personal use – her explanation was ‘they were going there anyway.’

Before that – I vaguely remember that some political shows would have her give her opinion. I never found out why they bothered to ask her, or what if any political credentials she supposedly had.

wise_man on May 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Benedict McCain.

Misha I on May 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM

McVain is not trying to get even, he’s out to get ONE UP!

BTW, I voted for W, but I think it was a mistake.

belad on May 6, 2008 at 1:20 PM

She’s a shameless opportunist and her word on anything is worthless.

Spolitics on May 6, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I couldn’t care less what Zsa Zsa says.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 6, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Whatever happened to that rich, gay Huffington dude anyway? You know, the one Arianna Huffington Stassinopoulos married so he could fool California voters into believing he was a straight Republican.

Then she dumped him, took his money and kept his name (smartly too, since not many elitists libs would log on to the Stassinopoulos Post).

Actually, Arianna would make a great President (of the Teresa Heinz Golddiggers Club).

miles on May 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Just curious, but were any of you alive when Arianna was a conservative?

ClassicCon on May 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM

She was a bottom feeder then, just like now.

right2bright on May 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I love when she does an appearance on “Meltdown with Keith
Olbergoebbels” and ends with “Tdank yewww Keet” Idiot…..

adamsmith on May 6, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Too funny…
She was a media whore when her husband was running and she has just gotten worse. Can’t get enough of the camera, the conservatives were never impressed with her, so she went where she could get press.
Tdank yewwww ahhhhdam

right2bright on May 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM

SO WHAT!….im sure there were thousands of liberal dykes that opted FOR Bush…whats the big deal?

HunnyWaggin on May 6, 2008 at 9:42 PM