Video: The danger of bump keys

posted at 9:26 pm on April 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not so much a viral video as a public service announcement so that you’ll know what to do the next time you wake in the dead of night to find a reporter hammering at the lock on your front door. And hammering and hammering and hammering. Click the image to watch.

bump-keys.jpg

Comments

I’d loooove to get that job.

>:)

mythicknight on April 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM

If they didn’t know about bump keys, they sure do now.

Only defense: guns.

DeathtotheSwiss on April 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Why is he bitterly clinging to his hammering device?

lorien1973 on April 30, 2008 at 9:35 PM

If it takes’ a criminal that long to use this key at my house , he will die of lead poisoning before he gets’ the door open..

x-wing on April 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

I’m glad they went into such amazing detail explaining how to do this. It reminds me of the reporters who explain how vulnerable to terrorism certain airports are at certain times and how to beat the security.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

That was as difficult to watch as the Onion/Home Depot clip.

mikeyboss on April 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Like they said. Criminals have known about it for years. Videos of this have been online forever. The homeowner is the last to know. I never heard about it till last year when I first saw a bump key video.

lorien1973 on April 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Only Best defense: guns claymores.

DeathtotheSwiss on April 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM

FTFY.

SouthernDem on April 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Oh hell, all it takes is a rake and a tension bar.

Sheesh.

daveintexas on April 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Meanwhile, ex-Gov. Glendenning(D-MD) is still trying to get the trigger lock off his handgun.

x-wing on April 30, 2008 at 9:44 PM

I have a master set I made just for the heck of it and they work like a charm. With a couple of small mods you can make them even more effective…. The reporter doesn’t know what he’s doing or is improperly using an unmodified bump key. All it takes is a good tap. You don’t keep rapping like that.

The theory behind it renders ALL locks vulnerable – all of them. The perverse thing is, the more expensive the lock, the easier it is to bump. Expensive locks are made out of higher quality metal to tighter tolerances which very efficiency transfer the energy to the pins causing them to rise above the shear line.

A bumped lock is nearly impossible to detect. It does not damage the lock. With yet another small mod you can make it such that it is completely impossible to tell the lock was ever bumped.

Bumping is a big issue in Europe right now. People are getting robbed and the insurance companies are refusing to cover it because there is no evidence of break-in.

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Doesn’t anyone send CandyGrams anymore?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM

A good place to start if you want to understand what’s going on:

And a good article with links

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Bump Key Thieves BUSTED In Central Florida

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Actually I have locks on my office doors at work that are “double tumbler” type design: the key is U-shaped where two rows of notches enter two sets of pins, which are dissimilar. The pins are keyed so that where one set has a pin that is all the way “up”, the opposite side (further down the key) is all the way “down”.

Anyone else familiar with locks like this? Curious…

Wanderlust on April 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

I want to be a reporter and make an a$$ out of myself.

ulyses on April 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

That’s too bad because “Al Capone’s vault” was behind the door.

And can’t people put a shirt on when they know they’re going to on the news?

lowandslow on April 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Wanderlust on April 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

It’s bumpable. Go to the link to the PC world article above and find the link to the White paper. There’s a video there from the society that wrote the paper and those locks are just a bumpable. They are really expensive from what I remember and popular in Europe. They have some European seal of approval and they are no better (in fact are worse from a bumping POV) than a cheap lock made of soft metal and to poor tolerances.

TheBigOldDog on April 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

lorien1973

They always say “Criminals all now about this.” But the fact is that they don’t all know and it’s not like they have a newsletter. My point is that there is no sense in going into such detail on how to do it. Report about it fine. But let’s leave out some of the detail just in case there are some criminals that don’t know about it.

I grew up around criminals and I know first hand they are always looking for new tricks. No sense in advertising.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I guess I’ll keep my cheap locks, then.

My dear old dad always told me that if someone wants to get into your house or car, they will. Best you can really do is slow them down so it’s not convenient.

Bob's Kid on April 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Hear someone wacking away at the door like that for 5 minutes is gonna give the home owner plenty of time to get his shotgun ready and located in a prime position for the perp to enter. >:}

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

When I first saw the headline on this I thought it was going to be a new feature here at HotAir.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Bob’s Kid on April 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

should people also get bulletproof glass?

sheesh.. if you have expensive locks they will just break a window.

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I am frightened to find out that local TV news reporters are apparently going around the countryside trying to break into houses and making all kinds of ungodly noise.

This is not my America anymore.

Kasper Hauser on April 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Epic Reporter Fail.

Rhinoboy on April 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Any lock with disk rather than pin tumblers is bump-proof.

crosspatch on April 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Any lock with disk rather than pin tumblers is bump-proof.

crosspatch on April 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

How can you tell the difference ?

Texyank on April 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM

x-wing on April 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Heh. I was thinking the same thing.

4shoes on April 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM

I think it’s soooooo cute how they have these reports on bump keys, several minutes long, and then spend 10 seconds on bump-resistant locks, and don’t even go into other types of locks. You’re doing a community service, guys! The stupid criminal community thanks you!

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM

To break the monotony of the repeated hammer-hits I thought of them as bullets I’d be firing through the door at someone trying to break into my house.

Sweet.

BobH on April 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Heck, even the 4th graders around here know how to do it… And this is a pretty low crime town.

But I understand that reporter’s frustration and embarrassment.
I learned to pick locks the old fashioned way some decades ago (All lock picking done in service to my country of course), and even when I was in practice, some times it took me ten seconds, sometimes it took ten minutes, even on the same kind of common lock.

Bumping may be quicker, but picking is quieter ;-)

LegendHasIt on April 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Hey, guys, give “live” t.v. some kudos here.

nemo239 on May 1, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

…and if he missed he would have time to reload his own shells, load his gun and fire again.

91Veteran on May 1, 2008 at 12:26 AM

I have made and used a bump key on my own door to see how easy it was. 2-3 seconds and I was in every entrance to my house, all of which with just one key it took me 5 minutes to make. It is ridiculously easy, and takes maybe 2 mins to learn.

muyoso on May 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Not sure how many thieves would bother using this instead of just kicking in the door. Most doors don’t have screws longer than an inch. Dallas Morning News has video of local police who recommend 3.5 – 4 inch case hardened screws.

clghitis on May 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

How much you want to bet the enterprising young genius at that TV station who came up with the brilliant idea of doing this story is presently looking for a copy of the updated version of “Resumes That Knock ‘em Dead, 2008”?

pilamaye on May 1, 2008 at 7:30 AM

Maybe this joker and Roberta Aguilar can find gainful employment as a Television Undercover Reporter Department, aka T.U.R.D.Net.

This is another example of everything that is wrong with local television news(*). He should be toast, as should whatever half-wit director was distracted watching “King Of The Hill” reruns on another channel while this news was ‘breaking’ (or ‘failing to break,’ as the case may be).

(*A local fave here in the Mile High City is when the anchors say, “Our other Top Story tonight…” How many “Top Stories” can one newscast have?)

Captain Scarlet on May 1, 2008 at 7:59 AM