Novak rumor: Romney heads McCain’s shortlist for VP?

posted at 6:00 pm on April 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

How many posts have we done on this subject now? Let’s see: One, two, three off the top of my head, then another with a little Coulter spice mixed in, and then of course this joint effort between me and Ed provoking a 400-comment battle royal in the thread. Ed (like Karl Rove) thinks it’s a fine idea; I’m cooler to it, although admittedly the bigger the economy gets as an issue the more attractive Romney’s biography becomes as a selling point.

# Will McCain name a vice presidential candidate in mid-July to step up fund-raising before the national convention, or will he wait until Democrats make their choice in late August? A rumor running through the political community now puts former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in the lead for VP. But Romney has many critics in the McCain inner circle, and we don’t think the decision has been made.

He won’t deliver any states for McCain and the fact that Maverick’s accepting public financing for the general limits his potential fundraising efforts to the next four months — although, of course, he could raise money for the ticket even if he isn’t on it (albeit certainly not as much). Exit question: If it’s economic expertise you want on the ticket, why not Chris Cox? He lacks Romney’s not-very-high high profile, but he also lacks his baggage among social cons. As you mull, consider this data from the Fox News poll this afternoon. The numbers among independents are encouraging; can we see them with other candidates (Crist, Ridge, Jindal, Sanford)?

mccain-romney.jpg

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Just as long as he/she is a true conservative.

RobCon on April 30, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Well, he’s not a conservative so McCain will probably pick him. GAH!

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I can understand why people supported Romney for President. There were less than a dozen people running (for the GOP nod) and we had to pick from that pool. And I’ve said it before: It was a weak field. But supporting Romney for the VP slot seems ridiculous to me. It’s a much larger field and Romney isn’t anywhere near the top. People (by which I mean, K-Lo) fall in love with their guy during the primaries, I guess, and maybe they don’t want to admit that they gave themselves to a mediocre man who was the best of a bad lot. Now that we could pick anybody, Romney just doesn’t measure up.

boko fittleworth on April 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Plus, I agree with Spengler on the insanity clause.

boko fittleworth on April 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Because of McCain’s vindictive nature, I just don’t think he’ll want Romney on the ticket.

Weebork on April 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM

I think Mitt is the PERFECT choice. He is intelligent, admirable, great on the economy and a heck of a nice guy.
I keep hearing his Mormonism is an issue, which I find ridiculous. I would love to have Mitt as VP.
Huckabee and McCain looked very cozy recently, which made me feel that he might be his choice, which gives me the creeps. Two major Rhinos is hard to swallow, but can you imagine, it’s more acceptable than the other 2–Obama and Clinton. Yikes!!

Conservatives R Us on April 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Okay Allah- I know yer gonna hate this – but now with the FLDS shenanigans out in Texas- I think it would be a REAL bad idea. (Yes- I KNOW that Mitt is not FLDS- but will that stop the MSM??)

I think the lib MSM would point to Mitt’s religion and Rev. Wright’s Black Liberation theology and declare them equally odd and BOTH OFF BOUNDS.

I don’t think Obama’s Black Liberation Theology (does he not claim to at least be familiar with THAT much of HIS OWN CHURCH??) is benign. I find it offensively racist and historically NUTS.

I hope and expect that should Obama be the Dem. nominee that it would be a front-burner issue.

Ex-tex on April 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Weebork

Everyone who knows McCain says that he does not hold grudges.

jgapinoy on April 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM

McCain’s reconciled with the anti-war movement and even with the captors who abused him.

McCain’s a lot of things, vindictive isn’t one of them.

SteveMG on April 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Mitt for VP: Because he sure energized the base in the primaries, didn’t he!

its vintage duh on April 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM

I’m not sure that Romney’s experience as a hedge fund manager is really going to add much to the campaign in terms of the economy. He’d be portrayed as a silver spoon Wall Street evil Capitalist.

Plus the social con vote- which includes some Democrats, particularly rural Dems- might be put off, as AP mentioned. His “epiphany” on certain social issues would still be viewed unfavorably among those already wary of him because of his religion- unfair though I think that is.

Mitt wouldn’t be a terrible choice; besides, VP selection doesn’t have that much impact on the election anyways unless it’s a really good or really bad choice. Mitt isn’t a bad choice, but I have to think McCain could do better.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Doesn’t matter if Romney will add states or not. With Obama as his opponent, there won’t be many states that McCain won’t get. The real issue is 2012. The VP choice now is the automatic front-runner in 2012. By then Romney can have proven his conservative credentials against positions he once held when he was immersed in the Massachuetts culture.

pedestrian on April 30, 2008 at 6:18 PM

am I the only one who likes romney here?

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

He won’t deliver any states for McCain

What about Michigan?

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Mitt for VP: Because he sure energized the base in the primaries, didn’t he!

My sentiments exactly.

Allahpundit on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

What about Michigan?

Would he, though? Did Edwards deliver NC for Kerry?

Allahpundit on April 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I wish he would choose Romney but I agree…with this polygamy thing, it will never happen.

jatfla on April 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Everyone who knows McCain says that he does not hold grudges.

jgapinoy on April 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I sure hope yer kiddin’. McCain was so PISSED OFF at Bush and the whole dang GOP in 2000 that he voted against ANYTHING GOP for years! Maverick, my ass, he was just pissed.

Ex-tex on April 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

No Mitt, we would be better off with someone that wasn’t in the primary.

Rudy for AG.

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I’m not sure; but if the MSM wants to have a debate on the actual merits of Black Liberation theology vis a vis the LDS church, I say, BRING IT ON.

Let’s see: on one side, the “blame america first” group doing their best to blame america first for stuff that happened 150 years ago. On the other, a group of people who were probably the most persecuted sect in US history; with actual armies sent against them–who have successfully moved on and become model US citizens, and are the most conservative of all groups in America. Oh, and our (LDS) doctrine emphasizes self-reliance, taking care of your own, and in general, not blaming people.

Gee, if you want to see a greater dichotomy between conservative and liberal views, by all means compare LDS doctrine with black liberation theology.

Vanceone on April 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Would he, though? Did Edwards deliver NC for Kerry?

No, but that’s because he’s freaking Edwards for cryin’ out loud.

SteakRules on April 30, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Mitt isn’t just a “hedge fund” manager. He is an expert in turning floudering ventures around. See, Staples, Dominos, and the winter Olympics. Also, see Massachusetts.

Vanceone on April 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Ex-tex on April 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

McCain had a right to be PO’ed at what happened to him, the calls that were made about his adopted daughter in that campaign were over the top.

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 6:24 PM

I keep hearing his Mormonism is an issue, which I find ridiculous.
Conservatives R Us on April 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM

It is a bit ridiculous, but polls, focus groups and election results all indicated that it was an issue. Mitt did well in states with a significant Mormon population- UT (where he got over 90% of the Mormon vote), NV, WY, ID- but elsewhere, particularly those places with a large, non-Mormon social con voting bloc? Not so much.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 6:24 PM

THAT’s exactly MY POINT Vance1- There would BE NO DEBATE- The MSM would simply declare both off-limits- but I’m thinkin’ that Huffpo, daily kooks, et al. would not let the polygamy thing go.

Ex-tex on April 30, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Vanceone on April 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

flip-flopper reminiscent of gengis Kerry.

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM

I do not want another squish with a leg up to be the next Rep candidate. I don’t care how nice he is. Nice and $5.00 will get a cup of coffee with goo in it.

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Mitt petered out in the primaries, even with the strong backing of talk radio, he would also scare the independent votes away from McCain, as a conservative I’ll vote for McCain and whomever over the socialist liberal agenda of Hillary or Obama.

Tobias2012 on April 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Conservatives R Us on April 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Listen, I do not want Huckabee to be McCain’s VP (I believe there are bigger things in store for him), but I need to set the record straight.

Electoral Compass (which appears to be an unbiased European web site), shows Huckabee as slightly less conservative than Romney economically, but slightly more conservative than Romney socially.

Arkansas may have voted for George W. Bush twice, but the state is historically a Democrat state. Huckabee went up against the Democrat machine in Arkansas four times and won each time.

People misconstrue his past and ignore the written commitments he made on his web site in regards to Immigration, Taxation, Judges, Sanctity of Life, etc.

Huckabee continues to have great support in the south. Watch and see what happens next Tuesday in the NC primary.

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Would he, though? Did Edwards deliver NC for Kerry?

Allahpundit on April 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I thought that Edwards popularity was so low in NC that he ran for President knowing that he couldn’t be re-elected to the Senate. Or is that an urban legend?

Romney does have policies which really could help Michiganders (although I know it makes some conservatives mighty prickly because it involves government R&A funding). As Mitt said many times, the auto business is in his DNA.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Electoral Compass

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Mitt would probably have better name recognition than any other VP candidate and man, talk about some hope for the future, we could sure use some.

Kay Baily Hutchison would be OK too.

Speakup on April 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Mitt petered out in the primaries, even with the strong backing of talk radio…

Tobias2012 on April 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM

It was a day late and a dollar short. Most of talk radio was waiting for Fred to perk up and only switched to Mitt at the last minute.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM

I still can’t figure out why people are pushing Chris Cox for VP. I would bet that 95% of Southern Californians don’t even know who this man is.

Mark1971 on April 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM

We’ve done all the tumbler combinations, again and again, and we don’t have an actual or potential Messiah at either position, but a McCain-Romney ticket works.
Romney at VP can help fix the economy, fix the structure in Washington, and the sobriety of the two men will work to get votes, especially face á Obama, and his disgraceful, scary entourage.
And at this point, any LDS discomfort has to have been erased by you know who..
OK, its true that I have a little crush on Anne Romney, but against Mrs. Obama, well, she’s worth at least one state!

If Clinton gets the upset nomination, the calculation still works, but we’ll cross that bridge when…

ParisParamus on April 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM

From my perspective (as a NC voter) that is a true statement. I do not believe that silky would have been re-elected.

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM

(actually, with Hillary, we have the Good Wife v. Hillary meme to enjoy.)

ParisParamus on April 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Mitt’s McCain’s no-hard-feelings selection. He could do worse.

leftnomore on April 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Translation- Some people ignored the campaign rhetoric on his website and actually looked at his record- and didn’t particularly like what they saw, for good reason.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM

McCain is a moron if he select Romney as VP. Want McCain needs is a VP that came from a big state. Don’t do a Gore.

jdun on April 30, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Mitt’s the man for the job and he deserves the shot for Pres. in 2012. He would also bring back conservatives like myself who are leery about voting for McAmnesty.

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Kay Baily Hutchison would be OK too.

Speakup on April 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM

She was great on Rush today. I’d like to see Mitt as Veep and Kay as as Energy Secretary, but I do see the advantage of having a female on the ticket, as much as I loathe picking candidates by race or gender.

Here’s Kay’s column on how to undo the ethanol catastrophe.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM

McCain needs a running mate he can get along with. Insert your favorite Democrat here.

Valiant on April 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I’m pulling for Romney personally. It’s the surest path to the White House.

Typhonsentra on April 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Doesn’t matter if Romney will add states or not.

Wouldn’t Romney help in Michigan and Nevada?

With Obama as his opponent, there won’t be many states that McCain won’t get.

Never count your McChickens before they hatch.

The real issue is 2012

pedestrian on April 30, 2008 at 6:18 PM

If elected in 2008, I would not make the assumption that McCain would not run again in 2012.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I don’t think it’s the best choice, for pure effectiveness, but I have a hunch that McCain will pick Rudy Giuliani. He’s the most popular of the politicians that are as passionate as McCain about winning the war on terror, and winning in Iraq.

RBMN on April 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Valiant on April 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Kennedy and Feingold come to mind, as McCain seems to be able to work very well with them.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 6:50 PM

I’m not sure how encouraging a 47 to 41 loss is. Those numbers, if I recall correctly, are worse than McCain vs. either of the Democrats alone. While there may be some “sour grapes” dynamics among dems contributing to those numbers, it looks to me like Romney doesn’t really give McCain a boost, and may even drag him down a bit.

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 6:54 PM

He’s [Giuliant] the most popular of the politicians that are as passionate as McCain about winning the war on terror, and winning in Iraq.

RBMN on April 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Winning in Iraq? Not really.

The danger of focusing on Iraq too much is that complete success there would not win the fight against terrorism and that failure there would not lose it.
- Rudy Giuliani

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Wouldn’t Romney help in Michigan and Nevada?
MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I think any Republican would win Nevada. Well, except for Ron Paul.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I don’t want Romney to accept should McCain offer it.

The idea of Mitt having to back McCain on amnesty is sickening.

EJDolbow on April 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I think any Republican would win Nevada. Well, except for Ron Paul.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Nevada has become very much a swing state.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

what a bunch of political wimps here

do you actually think Romney would add to a McCain ticket in terms of experience and economic/executive knowledge?

I do, but let’s just stick our wet fingers in the wind and decide based on what the MSM/Dems will say

pathetic

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

From the poll:

(Rep) – (Dem)

(McCain) – (Obama): 46 – 43
(McCain) – (Clinton): 44 – 45
(McCain/Romney) – (Obama/Clinton): 41 – 47

Yikes.

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM

- Rudy Giuliani

McCain would agree. Bush would agree. Iraq is not the whole ball of wax, as the MSM tried to portray it two years ago when everything seemed to be falling apart. The war on terror goes to every corner of the World.

RBMN on April 30, 2008 at 7:06 PM

RBMN on April 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Yeah- not like that would be the equivalent of giving the social cons the finger or anything. And there certainly aren’t any skeltons in his closet. /sarc

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Obviously. When Hillary wins the Dem nomination, McCain will name Obama as his running mate. Obviously.

RushBaby on April 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Mitt’s pretty cool. I was kinda hoping for Rudy, myself. But I can live with any of them except for Huckabee or Paul.

Sekhmet on April 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I’m pulling for Romney personally. It’s the surest path to the White House.

Typhonsentra on April 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Yes- for Obama.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM

A weak conservative from a blue state. Can do better.

brak on April 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

I’m a huge Rudy fan, but I don’t think he offers anything. The way the wind came out of his sails during this campaign means he doesn’t really have much pull with anyone anymore, unfortunately. As true as everything he says about 9/11 and his leadership thereafter is, people just don’t want to hear about it.

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Et tu, Chakra? Give me a break. Calls like that happen in every campaign, to every candidate. McCain crying about it for so long was just another testament to his “maverickness”. The nutroots are still throwing that out as proof of Rove’s evil.
McCain has no loyalty to the movement, or the party. Thanks for another reminder.

thebriand on April 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

McCain is a coward and isn’t very bright. He showed it when he went after the NC Republicans. He’s going to need a forceful, eloquent, well-educated VP who can hold his own in an intellectual battle with the Dem. Pres. and VP candidates…hmmmmm…

McCain NEEDS to pick Mitt!

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I cant believe you guys are discussing this.

Arent you aware that Red Pill (formerly known as ITookTheRedPill before he got banned)has already indicated that God has told him that Mike Huckabee is going to be the next POTUS? Not during the primaries, but Red Pill told us that just a couple weeks ago even after McCain won the nomination.

The debate is over, God told our resident loon that Satan Huckabee will be the next president.

The lunatic is on the grass.

Roger Waters on April 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM

am I the only one who likes romney here?

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Nope! He’s the best.

Domino on April 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

I think there’s no doubt that Mitt is the best choice based on on qualifications and experience, and he would make a stupendous President, but unfortunately that’s not necessarily how running mates get chosen.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I like Mitt!!! Make a good VP.

jeanie on April 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Mitt for VP! E-mail the McCain campaign today!

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM

I’m pulling for Romney personally. It’s the surest path to the White House.

Typhonsentra on April 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Yes- for Obama.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Obama’s got your vote right? or is it Ron Paul

why would anyone listen to you, you want McCain to lose right? anyone who thinks an Obama/Hillary ticket would be better for the USA than McCain/Romney is an idiot

go ahead, explain how it would be better

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Mitt for VP! E-mail the McCain campaign today!

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Be sure to include the numbers I posted above (7:03 pm) in your emails.

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Those numbers literally mean NOTHING right now.

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Those numbers literally mean NOTHING right now.

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Except that right now, within a single sample, adding Romnsy to the ticket takes it from a slight lead or statistical tie to a loss by 2x the margin of error. Basically, Romney’s a drag on the ticket. McCain is fighting the odds already, why should he pick a running mate who makes his election less likely, based on poll results.

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Obama’s got your vote right? or is it Ron Paul

go ahead, explain how it would be better

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

How you got all that out of my snarky post I don’t know. Look at the the numbers Big S posted. They do not support the notion that Romney would bring in votes for McCain, and in fact may hurt McCain’s chances.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM

So when the polls had Hillary up over Obama, he should have just given up? Do you have evidence of what that poll will say in 3 months? 6 months?

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

An objective posting by AP re Romney, cool. Nice to see the objectivity. Thank you.

JustTruth101 on April 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I’m not claiming to know what will happen months from now. All I’m doing is pointing out the evidence at hand, which shows that as it stands, given the poll sample, that Romney does more harm than good to the campaign.

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

And you’re claiming that McCain ought to base his decision upon the poll as well. So, just logically speaking, Obama should have ended his campaign months ago. Are there other polls that say the same thing? Or have contradictory numbers?

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Also, a poll like that doesn’t tell you very much of anything anyway. What if Mitt brought tons of money to the campaign? What if he brought needed campaign organizers? He could do any number of things that would be better than another VP candidate and that wouldn’t show up in any poll right now.

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 7:47 PM

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Maybe, although as AP pointed out above, the funding advantage would be minimal since McCain is going to be accepting public funding. I just think the 9 point swing in this poll when Romney is added (vs Obama) is very disconcerting, and probably indicates that Romney is really not very well-liked. That’s poison for a presidential campaign.

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM

The main reason I don’t think it will be Romney is that that would be too logical–very un-McCain-like.

RBMN on April 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Michael Steele for VP He could help break the democrat stranglehold on the black vote.

meci on April 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM

yeah snarky is the operative word

are you a true conservative?

number 1 for me= security

next? taxes

I don’t care about social con issues, I take care of those within my family

give me safety and the freedom to make money, I’m happy

If you owned a company and wanted the above would you hire McCain/Romney or Hill/Obama? get real

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM

I don’t care about poll numbers, they are skewed by MSM liberals

I go by what’s best for my family

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Big S on April 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM

yeah, lets go by what polls say, instead of what’s right

the conservative way

windansea on April 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Right now, the Romeny boyz are on the trampoline going nuts over the good news.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM

I shook Romney’s hand one day, and my arthritis went away!

There is another candidate not mentioned who just started campaign for VP- s/he went to Grover Norquist, then to Karl Rove, then his/her name was paired with McCain in a NY poll- showing that this ticket would be the Dems in NY.

Many insiders are pulling for him/her.

S/he is a Second Amendment “absolutist”, and for all restrictions on abortion.

Lothar on April 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM

can we see them with other candidates (Crist, Ridge, Jindal, Sanford)?

As for me…
Crist- Seems too slick & is he really open to reparations?
Tom Ridge – PLEASE NO!
Jindal – Too soon
Sanford – Possibly, but don’t know enough about him at this point

CP on April 30, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Just another test flare to do an oooooo-ahhhhhh reaction from the crowd.

Limerick on April 30, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Hey Chosen One,

what is it with you and the Romney sons? Are you jealous that they have a cool dad or some sort of latent homosexuality? That is all you seem to be able to talk about.

Roger Waters on April 30, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Roger Waters on April 30, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Their father is a phony who changes his positions due to the office and proximity of that election. Please don’t be one of the “true conservatives” who believes Rominee is one of you. He is a moderate as I am, but he doesn’t have the guts to tell you what his principles are, because in reality, he doesn’t have any.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Why is it that we can’t just shoot Romney into space? His hair will protect him and he can leave everyone else alone.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM

I like GovMitt, but I cant help but be nervous that if he was the VP nominee, he’d be called to account for every magic skivvie-wearing FLDS cult freak from Maine to Spain.

If you think theres a surfeit of coverage of the Warren Jeffs people now, just wait. If Mitt is the VP nominee, every network and crazy left national daily in the kingdom would open 24/7 bureaus all over rural Utah, Texas, Arizona and any other place these nutcases are holed up in compounds, livin large like its 1850 all the time.

I shudder to think of the coverage.

Mike D. on April 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

boko fittleworth on April 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM

- Boko Fittleworth almost had a job once.
- Who is this Boko Fittleworth you keep talking about?
- Boko? You don`t know Boko?
- Good Lord, I thought everybody knew Boko.
- I do not.
- Looks like a parrot with a moult.
- Once he put his shirt on Silly Billy to win the Cesarewitch and Lady in Spain beat him by a nose.
- I have never met Boko Fittleworth.
- No, well, I couldn`t recommend it wholeheartedly, anyway. He is in a quiet taste, Boko. At least that`s what his mother says.

Tzetzes on April 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I can’t see how anyone could support Romney. He is essentially a Republican BHO. He says what he thinks people want to hear whether it is about membership in the LDS faith or about his so-called “conversion” to being pro-life. This man is a flim-flam artist of the first degree. I have been opposed to him from the time I did preliminary research on him at the beginning of the season and his behavior through the primary season just solidified my opposition. A lot of my friends and relatives wanted him to be the real deal because he is Mormon but Romney makes Huckabee look trustworthy and makes John Kerry look like a man of conviction.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

He is in a quiet taste, Boko.

Tzetzes on April 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM

That should, of course, be “an acquired taste”. Our Russian friends seem to have misheard.

Tzetzes on April 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Romney has no ties to the Bush Administration, has a great knowledge on the economy and can deliver the conservative case nicely ( see CPAC speech-awesome stuff).
The bench is thin, 2 senators on the ticket is not good and he had to fight a Huckabee campaign that hated his guts ( and religion), and would’ve ended up a solid 2nd if he continued.
McCain needs to pick him- everyone else has equal or greater drawbacks.

jjshaka on April 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM

davenp35 on April 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Those are very good points.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM

the Romeny boyz

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM

the “true conservatives” who believes Rominee is one of you.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Yoo doo itt onn perpuss, dohnchoo?

Tzetzes on April 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

am I the only one who likes romney here?

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

No, SoCal. Dispassionate analysis says Romney would be an asset in the Administration, particularly as next-in-line should something untoward happen.

The VP spot is a good place to put competence. The choice should not be political in this day and time. Anything can happen, look at Kennedy. He chose Johnson for poltical reasons, and we’ve been suffering ever since. I vote for Romney for smarts, competence, leadership.

eaglesdontflock on April 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM