Novak rumor: Romney heads McCain’s shortlist for VP?

posted at 6:00 pm on April 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

How many posts have we done on this subject now? Let’s see: One, two, three off the top of my head, then another with a little Coulter spice mixed in, and then of course this joint effort between me and Ed provoking a 400-comment battle royal in the thread. Ed (like Karl Rove) thinks it’s a fine idea; I’m cooler to it, although admittedly the bigger the economy gets as an issue the more attractive Romney’s biography becomes as a selling point.

# Will McCain name a vice presidential candidate in mid-July to step up fund-raising before the national convention, or will he wait until Democrats make their choice in late August? A rumor running through the political community now puts former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in the lead for VP. But Romney has many critics in the McCain inner circle, and we don’t think the decision has been made.

He won’t deliver any states for McCain and the fact that Maverick’s accepting public financing for the general limits his potential fundraising efforts to the next four months — although, of course, he could raise money for the ticket even if he isn’t on it (albeit certainly not as much). Exit question: If it’s economic expertise you want on the ticket, why not Chris Cox? He lacks Romney’s not-very-high high profile, but he also lacks his baggage among social cons. As you mull, consider this data from the Fox News poll this afternoon. The numbers among independents are encouraging; can we see them with other candidates (Crist, Ridge, Jindal, Sanford)?

mccain-romney.jpg

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Chosen one obviously has a thing for Romney’s boys. Every post he has made over the last several months brings in his sons, who happen to be intelligent, honest, slim (is that why you hate them so much, as compared to your “chosen one”) handsome young fathers who have all graduated from college and all have jobs. No matter how hard you try they will never give you a glance!
I would hate to have Mitt as VP because of the snarky mccain. He certainly would give the ticket some class and he has a wonderful sense of humor.
You know red pill, there was an article in our paper that stated that the evangelicals are not getting nearly as many converts as they have been. And the reason given is because they have been and are considered toooooooo mean. And this is from one of your leaders. (I can give you the name, if necessary, but would have to look it up)
I guess why I bring this up is because you oppose Mitt because of his religion.
By the way, you all say the heavens are closed. How come you are the only one who gets the word from above?

Bambi on April 30, 2008 at 9:32 PM

am I the only one who likes romney here?

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Put me in that column with you. I was a huge Romney supporter after meeting him and his wife and spending a little time with them. Impressive.

stenwin77 on April 30, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Skipping page 1
Would you please stop with the Bobby Jindal crap already. He’s just been elected for his first term in LA. Lets see how he does before we hold him up like a “messiah”.

Don Carne on April 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Romney could deliver Michigan, which could be enough to decide the election.

echosyst on April 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 7:47 PM

YOU”RE still here?

Mitt is awesome !

stenwin77 on April 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Don Carne

I agree with you on the Jindal issue. He really needs to distinguish himself. As far as I can tell all he has going for him right now are conservative values and being a minority. That identity politics silliness should be anathema to our party.

I disagree with those that say we don’t have a deep bench. We have enough good solid authentic conservatives if people would support them. The problem is that Mitt’s slick packaging fools an awful lot of people. Choosing Mitt is politically expedient but in my view that’s exactly the problem with the way Mitt makes his choices.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Mormon Doc, high five. Nailed it. Mitt is a weather vane.

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

It seems like part of the problem is that we don’t have a well defined platform and certain members of the party are hailed because of persona and image rather than substance. A perfect example of that is the current governor in my state. He’s a republican, Mormon and a philanthropist so he must be conservative and is supposedly on the McCain VP list (isn’t everyone).

Digging down into Gov. Huntsman you discover that he supports a modified license for illegal aliens and rejected “No Child Left Behind” by executive fiat among other things. When I tell people in my state this information they say “Have you seen his family? They look like such nice people. Did you know his father started the Huntsman Cancer institute?”

I have a degenerative bone disease that prevents me from physically accosting any of these rubes so I poke at them with my cane.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM

stenwin77 on April 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Yep, still here, just not as combative as in the past. Those polls keep showin’ the Mav right there through the bad economic news, the ragin’ Pastor who won’t go away, Hillary dodging snipers,etc. Still think he has no shot? Put your white flag back in the drawer. Hit the music, it’s over.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Romney is the only way I’d ever vote for McCain. We must not forget how liberal McCain is on many issues.

iamse7en on April 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Considering what has been dominating the news lately, I wouldn’t recommend referring to people who don’t agree with your “No child left behind” brand of conservatism as “rubes”.

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 10:08 PM

iamse7en on April 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Obviously, you’ve never seen Rominee’s voting record or the Romeny debate with Ted Kennedy where he said he was more pro gay marriage than Teddy.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM

OK, Mormon Doc: I would vote for Huntsman’s father in a hot moment. He is wonderful. He was born with nothing, NOTHING, and he plans to die with nothing. In the mean time he is giving a huge amount of money to his cancer research. His kids know that he will give all of his money away. If any of you saw the interview that Glenn had on his program, you can’t help but love the guy.That being said, I would never, never, never vote for his son again. He is in the mold of “Anold” in California, and goes right along with his environmental policies. No,not Hunstman! He went to school with some of my kids and with some teachers in my school and they all say “thumbs down”. You put 2 liberals on the ticket and you loose me and a lot of people in his home state.

Bambi on April 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Other than Mitt’s astonishing lack of campaign charisma, I have one problem with him. Health care. His Mass plan has been described by non-partisan analysts as essentially the same as nitwit Obama’s.

The thought of turning that huge issue into a debate on degree and not the true point that it is socialism would be a huge benefit to Obambi.

The economy as a campaign issue is fine; Mitt’s strong there, but I don’t think it’s a weakness to McCain as it is. Obama is the least qualified candidate to discuss the economy that we’ve had in my lifetime, so for him to declare that the campaign is “about the economy” would be suicide. If it’s about the economy, you’re disqualified, jugears.

Jaibones on April 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

I’d open my long-closed checkbook for the RNC if Mitt shared the McCain ticket. Romney brings a lot of executive and economic experience to the campaign.

onlineanalyst on April 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

By the way, May is coming up and someone is having a wedding. So congratulations, hope all goes well. He knows who he is.

Bambi on April 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Right now, The Rominee Boyz are drawing straws for who gets to ride shotgun on Air Force One first.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Mitt will be the VP,forget the Religion angle
he is the most sane choice,period!

By all means, the Liberal Dynamic Duo are committing
Political Hari-Kari,for the love of G-d,pick Mitt
and Lets Roll on the campaign while the two Dems
Politically kill each other!

RNC,seize the moment,and get the momentum rolling!

canopfor on April 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Buy Danish

I must not have made myself clear. I was talking about his decision to discard it by executive fiat.

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Mormon Doc on April 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Okay, that’s fair, but does that make them rubes?

Buy Danish on April 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Romney as V.P. would make a vote for McCain more palatable. As it is now, the future otherwise looks grim as to my voting options (Demos utterly not worthy, McCain a second close).

Christopher Cox is an excellent idea, though that’d cement the “worst fears” meme as reality that McCain is “the third Bush term.”

Let’s see what transpires tomorrow on “Illegal Alien Riot Day” and who says what about what afterward. I just cannot take any candidate for the Presidency seriously who indulges these illegal alien issues to any degree.

S on April 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I say, F Rominee and his brat sons, and let’s go with……….HUCKAMANIA!!!!!!!! Then Lindsey Graham Secretary of State.

THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Oh good grief. Plastic man and the ambulatory hemorrhoid..that’s the best we can do for a ticket? Well, ok, if they get McCain off the ticket and run Plastic Man with someone to balance the ticket to the right, I might vote for him.

RNC,seize the moment,and get the momentum rolling! swirling!

Fixed it. Toilets swirl. They don’t roll..unless you’re talking about a chem-can being sent down a hill with someone in it..which is actually what this election feels like.
I still think McCain’s going to pick a bootlicker. I just don’t see him sharing the spot light.

austinnelly on April 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Hey Chosen One,

You didnt answer my question.

I asked you what is up with your strange fetish towards the sons of Mitt Romney. Your pathetic and stupid answer was about Mitt Romney. I didnt ask you why you didnt like Mitt Romney. I couldnt care less why you dont like Mitt Romney.

My question, I repeat, is why you are obsessed with the sons of Mitt Romney. Again, is it jealousy because they have an extremely successful father? Do you find them cute in your subconscience and so you lash out at them because they are heterosexual and so you can only dream about them?

I mean, what the HELL is going on with you?

It is EXTREMELY strange that you keep going on and on and on about the sons of Mitt Romney. Those are his kids…not him.

The best case scenario is you are just a pathetic, petty loser…attacking somebody’s children because you dont like their dad.

Dude….get bent.

Roger Waters on May 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Not even if he picked ME for his VP.

I’d be a little surprised if McCain offered it to Romney… Much more surprised if Romney accepted.

LegendHasIt on May 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Roger Waters on May 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM

a) I don’t like candidates that lose time after time, trying to BUY elections.

b) I don’t like candidates that say his sons are “sacrificing” by being on the campaign trail with him.

c) Josh Romeny is still deciding whether to run for congress in Utah, even though he has no political experience or stature. He is being asked by purely his name and his mormon beliefs.

d) My father does extremely well, however, my father never gave me anything but guidance on how to stand on my own. One day I will have more loot than I could shake a stick at, but he insists that one’s own stance is priceless.

e)After the NYT’s story about the Lobbyist Sex Scandal(Complete Fabrication) broke, Josh Rominee was quoted on Hot Air as saying that his daddy hadn’t ruled out getting back in the race.

f)At CPAC, after Romlee had been thoroughly wooped by THE MAVERICK, he decided to have a secret meeting with the seniors players at CPAC. This also was reported by Hot Air, and was done just minutes after Maverick left the Omni Shoreham Hotel where being held. I was there.

g)Before the campaign began, he moved $250,000,000 into a trust for the Boyz.

DON’T EVER ASK ME ABOUT THE ROMEINY BOYZ AGAIN. THEY ARE SPOILED BRATS WHO ALWAYS ARE WAITING FOR THEIR DADDY WHO SUCKS TO DO SOMETHING COOL OR BUY THEM A SUNDAE. SCREW YOU. IT’S NOT CLASS WARFARE. IT’S CALLED HATING PEOPLE WHO SHOW NO RESPECT FOR WORKING PEOPLE AND WALK AROUND AT THE COUNTRY CLUB JERKING OFF ABOUT THEIR PROSPECTIVE POLITICAL FUTURES.
WE’VE SEEN THIS BEFORE, THEY ARE CALLED THE KENNEDY’S.

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 1, 2008 at 12:53 AM

“One day I will have more loot than I could shake a stick at…”

yeah, sure you will, tiger, sure you will. Trust me on this one, people as dumb as you rarely ever get rich…so you are out of luck.

So, to summarize, you hate the Romney sons because one of them is thinking about running for congress in Utah and because their billionare father put $250M in a trust fund for them.

The rest of your pathetic rant was, again, about Mitt Romney, not about their sons. Are you too stupid to tell the difference between the father and his sons?

Oh yeah, misspelling their last name (Romelee, Romenee, etc etc) is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!!!! YOU SHOULD DO STAND UP!!! WHAT A FUNNY FUNNY GUY!! YOU HAVE ALL US HOT AIR READERS JUST ROLLING IN THE AISLES WITH THAT REPEATED COMEDY BIT!

Seriously, dude, you are pathetic. And, obviously a loser. I dont know jack about the Romney boys but I can guarantee you they arent spending hours on a chat site misspelling people’s last names in an sad attempt to be clever.

It must suck to have no life.

Roger Waters on May 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

You pro-Mitt fans have me baffled. If Mitt was such a great pick he would have been chosen as the nominee. Yes, he had a great organization, but he threw a gazillion dollars at it and still couldn’t seal the deal.

Yes, a few conservative radio hosts jumped on the Mitt bandwagon in the last few days in desperation because they disliked McCain more than they disliked Romney.

Someone else mentioned the FLDS brouhaha; WE know that Romney isn’t FLDS, but that won’t stop those who view Mormonism as a cult from trying to draw a parallel.

Neither Romney nor Huckabee came close to actually winning the nomination; I hope McCain keeps looking.

poodlemom on May 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM

It must suck to have no life.
Roger Waters on May 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Hey, Now, watch it Pal…… I really resent resemble that remark.

LegendHasIt on May 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

I shook Romney’s hand one day, and my arthritis went away!

There is another candidate not mentioned who just started campaign for VP- s/he went to Grover Norquist, then to Karl Rove, then his/her name was paired with McCain in a NY poll- showing that this ticket would be the Dems in NY.

Many insiders are pulling for him/her.

S/he is a Second Amendment “absolutist”, and for all restrictions on abortion.

Lothar on April 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Condi becomes an even more intriguing pick if Obama continues to self destruct and Hillary gets the nom.

Black voters, by and large, won’t vote for Queeg just because Hillary “steals” the nomination, a few will show up and vote for Hillary, the ones that supported her to begin with, and the usual 7% that vote GOP will come out for Queeg, but the majority will probably stay home.

Condi could change that. She won’t bring disaffected black voters angry over the Hillary nom to the polls in droves, BUT, I think she could bring in enough to make it competitive, and perhaps, maybe help some black Republicans from urban districts in what could end up as some very tight races, should black voters decide to stay home in large numbers as a means of “sending a message” to the Dems.

Also, as you pointed out, she’s got social con cred that most of the other possibilities can’t match, but most importantly, I honestly believe the woman could step in and be ready from the word go should anything happen to McCain, should such a ticket win in November, something very important to consider when our nominee is in his early seventies.

The only problem is, she’s stated repeatedly that she just doesn’t want the job. I have little reason to doubt her sincerity on that. If she did, I think she would have run for POTUS herself.

It’s been a long eight years for her and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if she’s just plain exhausted at the moment. As sitting Secretary of State, she’s incredibly busy, and unlike Senator, it’s not a job that leaves a lot of free time to campaign for an elected office.

A good pick, but doubtful.

Perhaps four years from now, after a good long rest…

SuperCool on May 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM

Romney as Veep might actually persuade me to vote for him… I still cannot stomach voting for McCain, but I could vote for Romney, knowing full well he has plenty of aspirations for a run of his own at the oval office after McCain is done. Go Mitt!

Jockolantern on May 1, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Is it possible that, after the Wright scandal, Romney’s Mormonism is no longer the issue that it was?

OldEnglish on May 1, 2008 at 3:09 AM

Hugh Hewitt, Dean Barnett, Karl Rove, Fred Barnes, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Mark Steyn, Victor Davis Hanson, Michael Medved, Dennis Prager, Ann Coulter, Rich Lowery, Kathryn Jean Lopez, Byron York, Ed Morrisey and many many more very smart folks like the idea of a Mac & Mitt ticket. I think McCain should listen to these very intelligent, high level thinking people and choose Mitt for VP. Mitt is the best choice and the fact that he comes highly recommended by some of conservatism’s best minds isn’t something to take lightly.

sheryl on May 1, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Romney hammered Huck ansd McCain for weeks with misleading attack ads. Gutter politics using his massive wealth to perpuate lies and distortions about an opponent. Now all of a sudden he’s buddies with John McCain “for the good of the country?” Maybe even his running mate?! Sorry, but that’s just spooky. You can’t ignore warning signs of poor character like that, and expect things to change. You’re just setting yourselves up for disaster.

apacalyps on May 1, 2008 at 3:58 AM

Yep, still here, just not as combative as in the past.
THE CHOSEN ONE on April 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM

===============================================================

WE’VE SEEN THIS BEFORE, THEY ARE CALLED THE KENNEDY’S.

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 1, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Uh huh. I see.

stenwin77 on May 1, 2008 at 6:54 AM

He lacks Romney’s not-very-high high profile, but he also lacks his baggage among social cons bigited,troglodyte.

Fixed it for you, allah. So you think those people will vote for barry instead?

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Oops, bigoted.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2008 at 8:02 AM

I will not vote for a ticket that has crist on it. You might as well vote for barry.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Agreed. I’m from Charlene Crist’s hometown and know him. NO WAY. There are too many “issues” still in little Charlee’s closet (so to speak). He’s a global warming liberal with an “R” after his (?) name.

stenwin77 on May 1, 2008 at 8:25 AM

the Pathetic one: Mitt’s son is not running for Congress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bambi on May 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM

In my opinion, most American voters are not political junkies, or they would really know better. This is going to be the “American Idol” election…Mitt’s good looks will definitely help the Republicans win this…If I hear any more with the Dem candidates talking about more income redistribution, I will move to a communist country where things will be more fair than with either Marxist in the White House. Let’s think like we want to win this. Anyone who is not a liberal needs to……..

adamsmith on May 1, 2008 at 9:24 AM

While there would be worse choices for VP (see Huckabee, Mike), Mitt would be pretty bad.

When you mention Mitt, here’s what I see: October presidential debate, McCain espousing the virtues of the free market in health care reform, Hillary (that’s right) responds with “Really? Your running mate thought that universal health care was the best way to go”

My 2 cents: Sanford or Steele

murty on May 1, 2008 at 9:57 AM

National polls don’t mean a damn thing. Why do we continue to talk about them as if they matter? There’s 50 states, each with their own poll, which is what matters come November. I don’t care if all of California or New York votes for the Democrats, that’s not going to give them the election!

Seixon on May 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Romney as VP will be the only way I pull lever for McCain-otherwise it’s third party vote for me.

Goodale on June 30, 2008 at 1:56 PM