Fox News poll: Democrats now think Hillary would be tougher for McCain than Obama; Update: “Testicular fortitude”; Update: 50% of Hillary voters “dissatisfied” if Obama wins

posted at 3:51 pm on April 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Last month 44% thought Obama would be tougher compared to 40% for Hillary. This month? 48/38 for HRC. And that ain’t all. There are nuggets galore in the crosstabs — among others, both candidates’ supporters would rather see Al Gore the nominee if their own guy/gal can’t have it (by a 54/31 margin among Hillary fans) and Obama’s unfavorable rating is now 42%, eight points higher than it’s ever been — but here’s what you’ve been waiting for. I maintain that the next month is nothing more than an elaborate last rites for Her Majesty but Dean-o himself says electability is the name of the game for the superdelegates, so chew on this:

fn5.jpg

fn6.jpg

The most interesting line there may be for the Democrats themselves, as another question indicates that fully 32% of Hillary’s supporters said they’d vote for McCain over Obama if it comes to that. (The dull silver lining? That’s actually down a point from last month.)

Goldfarb notes some modest movement in her direction at InTrade as well. Exit question: What explains the Hillary surge among Dems? Is it really just jitters over Wright or Bittergate, or has her warm, authentic, common touch finally won the heart of the working man? Quote:

The campaign had the fill-up choreographed to a T, all the way to which specific pump they would use so that cameras could be in position when they arrived. Within the shot for many was the large sign displaying the $3.75-per-gallon price tag.

After the entire motorcade pulled up, Clinton waited inside just a few moments as Wilfing got out of the passenger side and started the pumping process. With cameras mobbed together, Clinton hopped out of the truck without incident and joined Wilfing at the pump. She seemed very interested in the actual set up, acknowledging later that she hasn’t pumped her own gas in years.

Well, at least she’s having fun. Or whatever approximates “fun” in Hillaryland.

hrc-truck.jpg

Update: I simply must have the video.

At an event in Indiana, Sen. Hillary Clinton got a ballsy introduction by the president of the local steelworkers union who said it’s “going to take an individual with testicular fortitude” to deal with solving the nation’s problems.

While Clinton cracked a smile and then burst into laughter behind him, union leader Paul Gibson called for a president who would take a “strong, hard look” at trade and continued, “I’m tired of these Gucci wearing, latte-drinking, self-centered egotistical people that have damaged our lifestyle.”

Gee, who do you think he has in mind as a Gucci-wearing latte drinker? McCain?

Update: Via the Standard, more evidence of Obama’s diminishing brand. Remember this guy, target of the other (i.e. not NC) anti-Wright GOP ad that’s circulating right now? Well, he wants you to know that he doesn’t know Obama and has “never even met” the man.

Update: I’m starting to believe that the sore loser contingent might not evaporate before Election Day. From the new NYT poll, due out tonight:

More than six in 10 Democratic primary voters who support Mr. Obama in the poll say they would be satisfied if Mrs. Clinton wins the nomination. But among Mrs. Clinton’s supporters, just 49 percent say they would feel satisfied if Mr. Obama wins, while 50 percent would be dissatisfied. Nearly a quarter say they would be very dissatisfied.

Comments

Or whatever approximates “fun” in Hillaryland

Great. Now I have to scrub my brain with lye because of the image that question put in my mind. Thanks!

Number 2 on April 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

It takes a village to pillage to elect a shrew on a Hsu budget.

William Amos on April 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Well, at least she’s having fun. Or whatever approximates “fun” in Hillaryland.

What? Did she just raise the taxes of the dude driving the truck?

dont taze me bro on April 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM

16% of Democrats, 11% of Republicans, and 10% of whites are more likely to vote for Obama because of his relationship with Wright? Seriously?

amerpundit on April 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM

…acknowledging later that she hasn’t pumped her own gas in years.

A lie.

What do you think she’s been doing at the campaign podium?

Et tu Brute on April 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Well, at least she’s having fun. Or whatever approximates “fun” in Hillaryland.

I don’t even want to know, but I’m guessing it’d be something that it’d be enough to make Eli Roth nauseous.

doubleplusundead on April 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM

The first fissure in the dam. Maxine Waters just went to the same gas pump and filled up several empty glass gallon jugs with wicks,. The Black Congressional Caucus sends out an Action Alert to all black delegates. Bill Richardson has a fainting spell. Andrew Sullivan sobs into his pillow. Bill Ayers orders fifty lbs of ammonium nitrate. Howard Dean screams.

a capella on April 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Fashionable Objectivists with a love of caffeine are not a bad thing. Fred Thompson wore Gucci, and he’s loads better than the current candidates on all sides. The Kennedy administration set the standard for self-centered, egotistical, Gucci-wearing socialite-turned-president – I thought he was a Democratic saint?

emailnuevo on April 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Go Hillary go!!

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Hillary has plenty of testicular fortitude….in her lock box.

txsurveyor on April 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I want to see the poll numbers after Obama’s speech.

talking_mouse on April 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Call me crazy, but I don’t think he’s talking about Mac.

amerpundit on April 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

OC is back, baby!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

A driver is stuck in a traffic jam going into downtown Chicago. Nothing is moving north or south. Suddenly a man knocks on his window.

The driver rolls down his window and asks, “What happened, what’s the hold up?”

“Terrorists have kidnapped Hillary Clinton, Rosie O’Donnell, Jesse Jackson, Barack Obama and Al Sharpton. They are asking for a $10 million ransom. Otherwise, they are going to douse them with gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from car to car, taking up a collection.”

The driver asks, “On average, how much is everyone giving?”

“About a gallon.”

Brat on April 30, 2008 at 4:23 PM

OMG, even people in liberal strongholds known for their progressiveness abandon Obama.

freevillage on April 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

It takes a village to pillage to elect a shrew on a Hsu budget.

William Amos on April 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Very nice. :-)

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I will do in Congress what I have done in Mississippi.

Please, don’t.

freevillage on April 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Call me crazy, but I don’t think he’s talking about Mac.

amerpundit on April 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

They’re slammin’ Obama!

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Heh. Dude must be a Mick Foley fan.

ReubenJCogburn on April 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

The longer they spend at each other’s throat, the less time the MSM has to vivisection McCain.

Vive le Chaos!

spmat on April 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM

In an Absolut world, Chelsea Clinton interviews a serviceman in Afghanistan and asks:

What are the three biggest threats you face?

The serviceman replies:

1) Osama
2) Obama
3) Yo’ Mama!

Red Pill on April 30, 2008 at 4:29 PM

check out this t-shirt I just found…It shows my thoughts exactly: http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=927

for MB4 it would be this one: http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=291

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

It takes a village to pillage…

William Amos on April 30,2008 at 3:57PM.

William Amos: Most excellent phrase,love it!

canopfor on April 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Union leader Paul Gibson, of course, means the lifestyle where union members are paid well above the global norms for unskilled and semi-skilled labor. Oh for the days where one could start with US Steel at $40/hour with absolutely no abilities and the promise for perpetual employment.

highhopes on April 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Democrats running ads distancing themselves from Obama, distancing themselves from raising taxes, running as being Pro-Life and clinging to GUNS.. BWAHAHAHA…

Chakra Hammer on April 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Democrats now think Hillary would be tougher for McCain than Obama

Republicans like myself have been saying this for about a year and a half now.

Don’t. Count. Hillary. Out.

Lawrence on April 30, 2008 at 4:40 PM

You’re trying to take control of everything, but that dream of yours has got to end.

Hey woman, you try to fake the talk, cos you aint got nothing else to use.
That’s a dead end road that leads nowhere
So just make whatever hay between here and there.
Theres a hole in your heart where the lying comes from,
You took Husy’s money till it ran out and youre now scrambling to still win,
Ha ha woman its a crying shame,
But you aint got no one else to blame.

E-evil woman, e-evil woman, e-evil woman, evil woman

Your comin in for another big go round,
Got some dirt too hot to put down,
But a fool and her lust for power soon go separate ways,
And you can only find so many fools lyin in a daze,
Ha ha woman what you gonna do,
You destroyed all of what little virtue that the lord gave you,
Its so good that youre not getting much gain,
So you better get yourself on board your very last fantasy train.

E-evil woman, e-evil woman, e-evil woman, evil woman
- Electric Hillary Orchestra

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Gucci-wearing latte drinker? McCain?

Fred. I remember seeing a video with Fred attending an agricultural fair wearing Gucci loafers.

Let’s have this clown or Hillary chained to a bed and getting beat every day, and see how they hold up. Trying to call McCain a wuss will go nowhere. The man is true grit.

Hening on April 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM

does the guy in the truck look like he would rather be chased down by a stampede of ticked off bulls, then drive hillary around? Or is it just me?

upinak on April 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

I’ve been called a lot of things, but I don’t think anyone has ever called me a hippie before.

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM

A lie.

What do you think she’s been doing at the campaign podium?

Et tu Brute on April 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Heh, good one! I’d say expelling “hot air” (not to be confused with this great site of course) is expelling a gas…to which I have to ask…has anyone called the Goracle to ensure she purchased carbon offsets for all the hot air she has expelled?

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Hening on April 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM

That was the Minnesota State Fair. Agriculture stuff features prominently, but it’s not really an ag fair; it’s pretty common for suit-wearing candidates to show up there as the fair draws an insane number of people.

Hollowpoint on April 30, 2008 at 4:54 PM

MB4 on April 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Your probably not a hippy…I just thought it was funny :)

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Well that Hillary voter dissatifaction could just be an idle threat designed to influence the super dels. That whole super delegate thing would be enough to turn me right if I were a Dem.

jeanie on April 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

So, 6/10 of Obama’s supporters would be satisfied if Clinton wins and 5/10 of Clinton’s supporters would be satisfied if Obama wins.

The Democractic nomination is like a reverse Aliens vs Predator – whoever loses, we win! :D

apollyonbob on April 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM

If I was a democrat, I would be very discouraged and vote for McCain…I would show the leadership of the DNC not to take me for granted…just sayin.

right2bright on April 30, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Every day I turn on the TV or hit the internet to see what is going on in this race I can’t help but recall Flounder’s line from Animal House:

“Oh boy is this great!”

Dudley Smith on April 30, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Liberty or Death on April 30, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Gas-Ex works!

upinak on April 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM

More than anything the democrats complete implosion in the running of the primaries demonstrates why they should not run the complexities of the federal government.

jukin on April 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM

A thrill just went up my leg and swiped my wallet!

Chuck Schick on April 30, 2008 at 5:23 PM

For the record “testicular fortitude” is a phrase coined by professional wrestler and author Mick Foley..(alias: Cactus Jack alias: Mankind)

Dirthead on April 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM

So now Operation Chaos should ensure an Obama win.

Sekhmet on April 30, 2008 at 5:32 PM

O P E R A T I O N – C H A O S – M A R C H E S – O N.
bloodier the better…

jimmer on April 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

One thing nice about Fox Polls is that they publish internals. Against Clinton, McCain wins Republicans 88-6 and Independents 42-38, while Clinton gets Democrats 76-15.

Against Obama, McCain wins Republicans 81-13, Independents 47-37, and Obama wins Democrats by only 67-22. In other words, Obama gets only 2/3 of his own party, and loses Independents by 10 points, and loses 22% of Democrats to McCain. Obama definitely looks like the weaker Democrat candidate against McCain.

The overall vote totals are deceptive, because this sample contained 44% Democrats, 30% Republicans, 26% Independents and “other” voters. If the party splits are applied to a more representative sample of the electorate, such as 37% D/31% R/32% I, the result would be McCain 46.3 Clinton 42.2 and McCain 48.2 Obama 40.6.

Hillary’s aide got this wrong–she has OVARIAN fortitude, whereas Bill Clinton has been spreading his testicular fortitude far and wide–jusk ask Monica, Kathleen, Juanita, Paula, and Gennifer, for starters.

Steve Z on April 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Who would have thunk that things would turn out so well! Now if only the Repubs had a candidate who we liked, we’d be in good shape, or at least better shape.
Have ya noticed that the Independents and Lefties don’t like McCain well enough to give him any money? C’mon ya goobers, you picked Mr. Maverick. Open your wallet since you stuck us with him.

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Open your wallet since you stuck us with him.

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I would love to but all my money is going to pay for gas and taxes right now…..but I can give him a coupon for a free dinner at souplantation I just got in the mail today :)

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM

If you buy me a hamburger today, I will gladly pay you Wednesday. (that’s what your post reminded me of, socal)
Maybe you’re to young to get it. You would have to know about Whimpy in the Popeye cartoons.

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

thatcher on April 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

I got it, I may be young but I spent alot of times as a kid watching popeye and olice oil feed wimpy hamburgers…and you are right in what you said in your post earlier…I am just really cheap and am saving up for a vacation that I desperately need…but thank you for the young compliment :)

SoCalInfidel on April 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM

It takes a village to pillage to elect a shrew on a Hsu budget.

William Amos on April 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Are you riffin’ that Dick Van Dyke Classic…

I’m in love with Atila the Hun, Atila the Hun, he’ll pillage a village and kill everyone and I’ll still be in love with Atila the Hun….

ihasurnominashun on April 30, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Democrats now think Hillary would be tougher for McCain than Obama

think?

They still think(?) either one of these buffoons can win the election?

Jus’ goes t’show…If you were using the world’s most powerful electron-beam microscope, you wouldn’t be able to find the brain of a Democrat.

franksalterego on April 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Ahhhh… she’s been dipping into the SMILAX again… all those deer antler extracts and male ‘strones have got her askin’ where the closest place a rowdy gal can get a cold one!

You know she definitely has more ‘nads than the Bammer ever will… I mean look what she did to Bubba C. and he’s probably got a good 100 – 125lbs on her… she’s probably got 50-75lbs. on Ol’bammer…

CynicalOptimist on April 30, 2008 at 8:30 PM