The obligatory “DNC ad runs footage of soldiers being bombed in Iraq” post

posted at 1:07 pm on April 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Everyone’s already written about it. Even I’ve already written about it. I agree with Ace: If the Democrats want to make their case with images of American suffering and let the chips fall where they may, have at it. The bombing sequence didn’t give me pause when I wrote about the spot over the weekend; considering that only one of the 57 comments to that post mentioned it, it looks like it didn’t give most of you pause either. What’s offensive isn’t the footage, it’s the left’s insane hypocrisy in wetting its pants over a one-second image of Osama Bin Laden in Hillary’s attack ad while shrugging off stuff like this as simple yet powerful doses of reality to awaken a complacent public. If McCain went the route Ace suggests and inserted images of 9/11 jumpers in one of his ads, Arianna Huffington would need smelling salts and Olbermann would have to allot an extra hour for “Countdown” to accommodate his rage. Meanwhile, the DNC could show a Marine getting his head blown off and Chris Matthews would ask the Hardball panel, “Doesn’t America need to see this?”

Comments

Allah, isn’t it time we Moveon?

dmann on April 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Classic Michael Moore Propaganda tactic. Have audio clip of someone saying something while a video plays showing something completely different. While McCain says “As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed,” show pictures of Americans being killed. Eventually the brain starts to associate the picture with the words.

BohicaTwentyTwo on April 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Why are we going over how hypocritical Democrats are? Have most of us forgotten they base their actions on tactics, rather than strategy? Why else would they rally against something they continually use and do themselves? Of course it’s wrong to show the footage of troops being bombed, etc. but they use it because they hope to use it as a tactical advantage! That’s the point of tactics! Whatever works!

Don’t think of it as being hypocritical, you are just falling into a red herring trap if you argue to this effect. You are witnessing tactics at work. Just remember “tactics” when you get upset over what the Democrats are doing.

Weebork on April 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM

They should just use the footage of the C-130 that was mortared and destroyed at Khe Sanh. Most of the cattle in this country wouldn’t know the difference, and it had a really big fire that will entertain them … over and over and over.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM

I think people have made up their minds on this issue. This video seems more like “preaching to the choir” to me. Same thing with the McCain 100-year-occupation comment. How many times has this statement been explained in full context? If this is all the Dims have, then I am comfortable.

HawaiiLwyr on April 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Chrissy is a Obama hack. Not because he likes Obama but because Hillary dared to diss him and his ego could not handle it.

RobCon on April 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Whatever….

I live in a college town and the leftist organizations routinely parade around images of blown apart children as a way of “showing people what the war is really like” or “the real cost of Bush’s illegal war.”

This is but a slightly more restrained effort but from the same vein.

The Democrats can’t wait to declare defeat and run for the door.

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM

This is the group that was afraid to show a couple of cartoons…how about a few infidel heads rolling on the floor…or some bodies drug through the streets…
This is the best they have? Thanks for giving us the election.

right2bright on April 29, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Frankly, it’s pretty sickening. If there’s a more transparent effort to exploit the deaths of U.S. troops for petty political gain, I’ve yet to see it.

What’s next? Footage of mangled Marine corpses? “John McCain wants U.S. soldiers to be dismembered for another 100 years.” What utter filth.

Enrique on April 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM

They want to use this, much like Kerry and the MSM did, in bringing the casualties home because no one likes seeing Americans get killed. I don’t know how much or how well this will play but I can’t say anything definitive

Defector01 on April 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Can’t wait until Nov 5th, when the recount starts!!

omnipotent on April 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I hope Al Gore starts making political ads the way he makes documentary movies. We might be in for some really cool ads.

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM

This coming from the traitors who claim to support our troops.

I spit on them.

fogw on April 29, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I just can’t get over how much of an outright lie this entire ad is.

triple on April 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM

idiots.

kirkill on April 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Honestly, this dishonest democratic ad doesnt surprise me at all and if anyone is even slightly knowledgeable about hwat is going on currently they will know that it is not what McCain meant…but then again most people dont take the time that we do to research and know whats going on in the country…I still dont think the american people are going to fall for tha propaganda….but then again I am a los angeles kings fan and think they are going to win the stanley cup every year…so depressing

SoCalInfidel on April 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, now wait a minute. Are you telling me there is actual physical violence during war, and people get killed?

Riposte on April 29, 2008 at 1:43 PM

They have been running on the anti-war message since 2004. It has been nothing more than a cheap political stunt intended to mislead the American public. They have control of both houses of Congress, and have failed to accomplish their so-called promises they ran on in 2006. Congress is more unpopular than the President (since they took over). This is just more garbage intended to get votes.

Rick on April 29, 2008 at 1:43 PM

I couldn’t help but notice the lack of whining about torture when they found the remains of Matt Maupin. Rules are only for us.

Sometimes you just want to punch some people out.

drjohn on April 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I got into a real spitting contest with Nico Pitney at the Huffington Post who had used photos of my wife’s two dead relatives (KIA Iraq) in a very offensive mosaic. Many of that crowd are simply scum.

The left is very happy to build their soap boxes out of the bodies of the dead so long as it advances their agenda.

However, I did get a good feeling when I read that the parents of one KIA sued an anti-war t-shirt maker.

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

And as long as radical Islamist idiots keep blowing up Americans anywhere in the world, this war will go on, we will kill them, and Dhimmicrats will wet their panties. Men and Women who understand that our lives are not safe unless we defend them will fight until their last breath, be that 1 yr or 100 yrs.

Just how much are the lives of a million Americans worth to those who insist radical Islam is too monolithic and overwhelming to defeat? How much is the enslavement of 300 million Americans under sharia law worth to Dhimmicrats?

How can I ever trust someone with a (D) at the end of their name on a TV screen to ever support protecting my life and the lives of my kids if they won’t step up and take a stand against radical ragheads who need to be opposed, not appeased; if they insist on granting terrorists civil rights which they don’t deserve, and negate my right to life as a citizen of the country which they swore an oath to protect and defend?

DNC? Defense – Not Committed

You Real Democrats better get a hold of your party before they allow Islam to kill off your American friends and neighbors for politics sake.

Subsunk

Subsunk on April 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM

be careful here, this clip f the soldier, when viewed in it’s ENTIRETY, reveals that he is NOT killed. I have seen this clip numerous times, but cannot find it now.

irongrampa on April 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on April 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Hard lessons learned at Khe Sanh created the legendary assault landing nick named the Khe Sanh approach! Still practiced today, heres a nice clip of the RAF having fun with a new C-130J! (K.S. landing at the end of the clip)

How its done today!

dmann on April 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM

irongrampa on April 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

You are correct. Amazingly, these guys are able to walk away with seemingly no injuries.

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 1:56 PM

“DNC ad runs footage of soldiers being bombed in Iraq”

Did they “Photo shop” the footage?

I don’t really think that would be very helpful for McCain.

I think that would make most Americans think something like “Why is OBL still alive?” and “Didn’t most of the 9/11 murderers come from Saudi Arabia?”, not “Good thing we are still in Iraq after more than 5 years ‘nation building’ an islamic state”.

But, hey, go for it.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

But, hey, go for it.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

So you’re OK with exploiting deaths on both sides. Fine, but that doesn’t take away from the main point up above. The MSM would have a field day with any ad that even hinted at deaths of Americans on 9/11 no matter the reason.

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Sounds like my commercial got ripped!

Here’s the idea,show the Saddam era in a commercial,
show Saddam going through the trap door,all the great things the United States has done,the progress!

Then,show Irag’s future under a Liberal Democrat President,
withdrawing,and have lots of crying children,lots of crying
women,show the goon death squads roaming around,might as
well throw in a smiling dinnerjacket from Iran!

Then,with all the crying and sobbing,the camera pans in and
around the sorrow,with the message at the end!

With a Liberal President—–This is the Iragi’s future!

canopfor on April 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Democrats enjoy looking at dead and injured American soldiers as much as al Qaeda does.

Capitalist Infidel on April 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM

BohicaTwentyTwo on April 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM

The problem you see is that Americans are still being killed and wounded in Iraq with no end in sight. More American troops have been killed in Iraq this month than during any month since September of last year, so the picture is very logically associated with the words.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM

This worst part of this is Howard Dean’s frothing at the mouth at how this ad is going to destroy John McCain…just sick.

WisCon on April 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM

As long as the hypocrisy serves their cause, the MSM, the DNC and those afflicted with acute BDS don’t give a rats ass!

dmann on April 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM

So you’re OK with exploiting deaths on both sides.

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

You are making quite a leap there.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM

How about someone doing an ad on this or doing something anyway.

Troops Deprived of Email Vote

“The personnel that fight our wars, the people who are most affected by the decisions on the use of the military, are being systematically denied the right to vote,” said Bob Carey, a board member of the Overseas Vote Foundation, a voting rights group.

Carey, a Navy reservist who has served in Iraq, noted that ballots are often not prepared and ready to be mailed until 30 to 45 days before an election. And since it can take more than two weeks for troops to get ballots by regular mail,
they sometimes get them too late to meet voting deadlines.

Indiana Secretary of State Todd Rokita, who is president of the National Association of Secretaries of State, said the use of e-mail is a controversial subject among his members. Yet, he said his state has had no problems using e-mail to both deliver and receive ballots from overseas voters.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Anyone notice that even the DNC is giving up on its own propaganda now? The ad says the war’s cost $500bn over 5yrs not the $3,000bn that DU, KOS, MSNBC, and other parrots have been parading. Gotta hand it to em, if they can cut a budget from $3trillion to $.5trillion in just one ad…well, that’s some serious money management skills imo. Reminds me of a little real estate venture I turned down in a place called Whitewater.

scottm on April 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM

irongrampa on April 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM
moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I remember this clip, it was from the fall of Baghdad or immediately afterward. It was on fox. I’m pretty certain it was the fall of Baghdad. The two soldiers were untouched being sheltered by the palm tree.

When I look at video set up like this propaganda, I see stupidity. Iraq could look like Kuwait, Baghdad could look like AbuDabi if they would just stop killing each other, and stop Iran from interfering.

When the democrats start screaming “give up.. give up..giveup“, I think just how stupid is that? Someone is trying to kill you and you want to run away and hide under the bed? You democrats are cowardly children.

rockhauler on April 29, 2008 at 3:12 PM

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM

This ad isn’t about what going on in Iraq now. Its about attacking McCain for having the Audacity of Hope that Iraq might get better.

BohicaTwentyTwo on April 29, 2008 at 3:16 PM

As for my first post, I didn’t even realize how right I was.

Even more unbelievably, the IED clip comes from Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11. It’s at about 1:35 in this trailer: Fahrenheit 9/11 trailers. (Hat tip: MacGregor.)

BohicaTwentyTwo on April 29, 2008 at 3:22 PM

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Death is a constant with military service, period. I don’t have the data in front of me, but around 20% of the deaths in theater are non combat related. McCain was correct to point to place his comments within the context of South Korea, Germany and Japan. But even here, service men and women occasionally die.

In general, there is minimal value in citing deaths as some sort of abstract measure of success or failure.

so the picture is very logically associated with the words

The political ad is laughably inaccurate and is edited in a way that not only misrepresent McCain’s comments but goes so far as to convey the exact opposite of what he meant.

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

During one of my tours in Iraq I got my hands on some video that a variety of terrorist organizations were using for recruiting propaganda. It was basically a music video of IED and SVBIED attacks against us. I have to say, the terrorists make better propaganda than the DNC. Very catchy music.

blankminde on April 29, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Isn’t this the same party that is so clueless they use pictures of British or Canadian when they try to show their “support” for the troops?

Catfish on April 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM

blankminde on April 29, 2008 at 3:37 PM

An Aside:

I checked out your website and noted your post re: the swifboating of John McCain. I watched the video and heard Dornan and Senator Bob Smith unload. I’m not sure there is anything on the MIA front, but there may be something to the effort to keep records out of the public domain. This is the first I’ve heard of this. Have looked into this? Is there something to this issue?

My gut tells me this is a dry hole. Either way, this is clearly the third rail of politics and no one is going to level any charges at McCain and his military service unless it can be interjected by a 3rd party.

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 4:00 PM

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

There is no “context’ between Iraq and either Germany or Japan or South Korea.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Stop treating Sharia-supreme Iraq like post-war Japan

It isn’t just that the total defeat and utter devastation of Japan nullifies the comparison with Iraq (which it does). There is something else. There is the completely different U.S. approach to Japan’s animating, warlike state religion of Shintoism, which, not incidentally, bears striking similarities to the animating, warlike state religion of Islam.

- Diana West

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 4:30 PM

These scum make my blood boil! Never again! When is the RNC going to start taking these clowns to task?

jdawg on April 29, 2008 at 4:32 PM

You are making quite a leap there.

MB4 on April 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Sorry, not my intention. I just meant that you’re OK with the types of clips from both sides. I wasn’t trying to insult you or your character.

Esthier on April 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM

moxie_neanderthal on April 29, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I definitely agree that any inquiries into McCain’s time as a POW will come back free of conspiracy. It is pretty hard to believe that any of the stuff in that video happened, but stranger things have come up in campaigns before. So far as I’ve seen there is nothing there of interest, and looking into it makes me feel dirty and cheap.

On another note – I just uploaded the video I was talking about for comparison. I don’t think it is very widely circulated, but it is definitely worth watching.

Here’s the link to it on google…

blankminde on April 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM

If you want to make your blood boil, or you simply want to remind someone what we are fighting against, go to liveleak.com and search for “IDE”. There are plenty of examples of jihadist propoganda videos there. You hear the music, you hear the panting of the scumbacks, the explosion and then the ranting psychotic “allah akbar” chanting.

The Dems hide behind the freedoms our soldiers provide so they can taunt those very soldiers. Sickening, just sickening.

cannonball on April 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Are all those so-called “Conservatives” going to be “holding their nose” when they vote for Democrats, because “McCain is a Poopy-head” ?

franksalterego on April 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM

jdawg

Forget itjdawg, it’s never gonna happen. The national RNC have no stones..I think they should hand the leadership over to the people running the N.C. Republican Party

thekingtut on April 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

It’s hard to even to come up with a response to this. Yes there is a double standard. Thank God for the internet, because we no longer have to rely on the MSM for our news and the free ride is over concerning misleading Americans.

The DNC will stop at nothing, even politicizing our war injured or dead to win an election. Repulsive comes to mind.

Hog Wild on April 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM

This is why they are called Demoncrats.

Let’s put them in the proper relationship. Dem are snotty nosed bully kids that need adult supervision. But, many adults have been intimidated that if the Parent chastise the child it is abuse.

When I grew up, it was straighting out your though pattern so you will understand life is full of consequences.

MSGTAS on April 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM